Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    Since you didn't buy the car yourself, you are making your statements based on your friends word. Of course I'm sure your friend wouldn't exaggerate, right. You gave us no details on the deal like the 2004 Civic LX 4 door with automatic transmission, mileage on car and no assessories added on. Trade(what and how much) or no trade involved. Also, the selling price was $ including destination and the dealer's processing fee. State Tax, tittle and registration don't count, because they very state to state and everyone has to pay them. Now with all of this information and the city, state and dealer the car was purchased, we would truly know what kind of deal you are trying to tell us about. We like to learn and share from these posts and that's how we can do it. Please follow up with the information, so we can all share it. Thanks!
    Also, Honda has not offered 1.9% APR on Civics in a long time. They did have 2.9%, but that ended at the very beginning of Jan 04. Honda has NO special low financing rates on Civics right now, so if the dealer gave your friend one, it was made up and you can bet they definetly made the discount back up somewhere else in the deal. I suspect your friend paid a whole lot more than was bargained for and probably more than invoice. When you get the facts let us know.
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    HOAX, Honda does not offer 1.9% APR on Civic anymore. As far as I know, there is a 3.9% APR on 2003 left overs.
    Even if it is true, $1000 under invoice is not unheard of. I bought my Civic for $3500 under the invoice.
  • miester_vmiester_v Member Posts: 21
    $3500 under invoice? How is that even possible without somehow losing much of that difference later on in the deal? Surely that can't be the bottom line difference. If it is, please share how you did that.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    3500.00 under invoice for a Civic?

Talk about hoaxs ?

BTW, honda just announced...

1.9% - 36 months
    2.9% - 48 months
    3.9% 60 months
    OK, I bought a 2002 Civic Si at the end of January of 2003. The original sticker was in the mid-$19's, invoice was in the mid $17's. I paid $14,500 and got 1.9% APR. Call it what you want, I am paying $250 and change a month, with just paying $1000 to cover taxes and fees. I call it carefull planning. It was snowing last winter alot. Everyone was buying an SUV and I bought a sportish compact that was in a form of an unloved hatchback with a feared manual transmission in the NYC suburb. At the same time an S2000 could have been had for the invoice. But when you have a majority of the population trying to out-do their neighbor by buying a bigger SUV, people like me, who actually enjoy the driving dynamics of a small compact with a manual win.
    There are people on ephatch.com who have bought left over 2002's for high $13K's. Now that would put them in $4000 under invoice category.
    can you give more details on the finance specials. A friend of mine is just waiting it out to get on the subsidized loan.
    1.9% - 36 months
    2.9% - 48 months
    3.9% 60 months
    Honda website offers these only on the accords, are they also available on the civic?
    Just like I said. These were announced yesterday.

Pretty hard to beat these rates!

As far as your SI pricing...Well, these aren't exactly flying off the lots. even so, it's hard to understand why a dealer would take such a loss.

Is it that Inca Gold color?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The buyer's order shows the selling price as $15,400 for our 2003 SI purchased 09/03 with fog lights, splash guards, mats, and the cargo net. We also received 1.9% for 60 months.
    Nope, my Si is black. My other choice was silver. But I desided to go with black. I doubt they took too much of a loss, Honda was giving them almost $3000 in incentives, and I am sure that by selling me my car they made their numbers for the month and got volume incentive. I am sure the sales man got nothing in comission, but the dealership may have thrown something to anyone who sold the car. I know dealers do that with a "sitting duck" or what ever they call it.
  • sguartsguart Member Posts: 3
    i thought i got a good deal but after reading the above article i could see why ... so it's not that good after all, considering...

"Honda also will pay dealers $400 for each Civic they sell through March. If dealers meet certain company sales goals, Honda will boost payments to $800 per Civic, retroactive to Dec. 20, when the program started."

i got 04 civic ex sedan auto w/ side airbag for $15895 where invoice is $16400(according to edmund)... they throw in last minute mud guard n wheel locks... this is at suburb of chicago. but the experience was terrible cuz i have to put down deposit and wait 2 wks for delivery and didn't get the color that i wanted. i could have pay more and pick up the car at other dealerships but originally i was trying to aim for the color of my choice. And it seems at the time most of the dealership don't have that color on lot.

i try to shop the price to other dealership but they wouldn't even match it let alone beat it. even though several dealership made the claim of beating or matching any price.

several dealership trying to tell me that honda gave them incentives but only till the end of jan 5th.
  • khowardkhoward Member Posts: 2
    I just got a Civic LX Auto 4 door with Side Airbags for $14995 including destination, no taxes or tags, or about $500 under invoice. Dealers here in Colorado have an ample supply.
  • khowardkhoward Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to mention that they waived the dealer handling fees also, saving another $299-349 depending on dealer.
  • sejinrosejinro Member Posts: 20
    Hello All,

I have been perusing thru this board for the past week or so to see what price I should pay for the following:

2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe Manual Transmission in Magnesium Metallic.

First of all, I had a difficult time just locating one because of the manual transmission. I finally found one at First Honda which is located about 30 miles from my home. Unfortunately, the car did not have side airbags, but it's okay since I was already appreciative since I found what I found.

I paid $15,450 plus fees and the "outdoor" price was $16,778.39. I financed some of it for 3.9% APR for 60 months. It seemed like a good deal, but if it wasn't then it's too late...anyways...I love the car, it drives smooth, and nothing to complaing about yet.
  • gallego1gallego1 Member Posts: 3
    A dealer in the Boston, MA area is offering to sell new (leftover) 2003 dark red 4dr EX manual with side impact airbags, moonroof, alloys for $15,400. I know that this is well under invoice. Have specifically said that I expect and will not pay for any additional charges OTHER than TTL. However, I would greatly appreciate some help with the following:

1. Is there any site (not, as far as I can tell, Edmunds) that still lists invoice prices for the '03s.

2. Does this seem like a real market price for this vehicle at this point?
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Its a manual, it's ruby red (-$34 color adjustment according to Edmunds) and it's an '03, so they're not having the easiest time getting rid of it. Invoice for this car as an '04 is $16003, there's $500 dealer cash for leftover '03s, so that $15.4k price really isn't that spectacular. See if you can get them to do 'out the door' (car plus TTL) for that $15400 or even $15k and I think you'll have a great deal.

BTW, alloys and moonroof are standard on the EX.
  • gallego1gallego1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the insight. Yeah, that was the opening price and I figured it was not so great. Was not buying that day, so did not pursue. Still wish I could find invoice price for 2003 somewhere, though. Did see the 500 cashback. thanks again.
  • hdghdg Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to buy an automatic EX sedan with front side airbags this summer. I want to have leather installed in it ( I know, I know. It's an economy car, but I want leather in it.) I called a local Autoway Honda dealership and didn't give my name or number. I asked the sales manager what the cost would be to add leather to the EX at the time of purchase. He said they use either Classic Soft trim leather or another local leather installation place located at one of their sister dealerships. I was quoted a price of $900-$1200 to have leather installed at the time of purchase. Does that seem reasonable? I have no idea. I called the local Classic soft trim but they sell wholesale to dealers and won't reveal the price. I just don't want to get hosed on the leather when I will be wheeling and dealing to the get the purchase price of the EX down.

I loved my previous bright red,1993 Civic EX coupe. I got a 174,000 miles on that car and then I sold it for $4000 back in 2001. Now I'm in a Saturn L200 lease I can't wait to give that car back and return to Honda!
    And Classic does a good job.
  • hdghdg Member Posts: 9
    that is a fair price. I am having a terrible time deciding on color with the EX sedan and that will affect the leather choice. It's so hot here in Florida that I usually end up with either a white or silver car because I hate beige. My red Civic faded badly in the sun despite waxing and the charcoal grey interior was sooooo hot. How is the interior carpeting between the grey and the ivory? Would leather match better in one versus the other? Any preferences? My current car is silver with grey interior and while I like it I am not sure I want to get another silver car. You can tell that I haven't been to the dealership yet to look at colors or test drive. I have avoided it because I want to do most of the negotiations through edmunds on the internet. Any advice?

I have heard it's difficult to find an auto EX sedan with front side airbags. Is this true?
  • newhondaformenewhondaforme Member Posts: 1
    hi all -- hope you can help,

I have been getting quotes on the civic listed in the title of this message and my best one is $16,900
    "out the door" at one dealer or 16,200 before fees etc.

I had been aiming for 16900 for the model with side air bags but now I think maybe I should try to get them to go still lower-- it didn't take that long for two of the dealers to get to this price while others still haven't dropped much -- any comments --are these good prices? should i hold out? I need to buy nextweek...

many thanks
    I have only heard really good things about katkin.

try going to www.katzkin.com

there is a network of installers, or you can buy the skins themselves and if you are handy, you can upholster ourself.

For the price you were qouted, you will most likely get only leather sitting surfaces. Which means only the fornts of the seats are leather and the rest is vynil.
  • warneywarney Member Posts: 10
    I see the TMV is over $19000 on the 2004 Si yet I keep reading about others paying around $16-17k. Have approached 3 local dealers multiple times and only one of them seems game in the high $18's. Others want sticker!!?? Showed them a national internet price of $17471 before the recent $400-$1000 cash back to dealer was announced. Same cars on lot week after week, demand seems low. I think $17k might be what I would pay, I will wait them out and keep driving my old Civic 4wd Wagon. Thanks Edmunds and the posters, this is a great resource!
    I don't think you will see too many 2004's discounted, it is too early in the game. You may get a better deal on a left over 2003 or even 2002. Some dealers have them all the way in the back. There are pluses and minuses to gettting a left over. To me, the positives outwweigh the negatives.
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    17K is possible (may be better than this). The salesman gave me this offer when I purchased my 04 LX auto. I am in NYC. If you want I can email you the info.
  • jaa37jaa37 Member Posts: 67
    Fair Honda in CT offered $16,167 incl. destination charge, etc. but not incl. taxes, registration fees, etc. Seems like a pretty good deal...
  • shmunsonshmunson Member Posts: 20
    #817 of 818 honda ex w/side airbags by shmunson Jan 27, 2004 (7:05 am)
    $15,900 (includes destination, processing fee $100 and before all taxes, tags, etc)

EX w/side airbags Shadow Silver, mud flaps, wheel locks and great sales person.

I faxed 15 dealers in my area. Stated that I was ready to buy. Quoted invoice, 3% hold back and $400 dealer incentive ($800 if quota made - the sales person was stunned I knew this). The GSMan original low offer was $16,700 when I talked to him personally. But when I faxed the information they stated $15,900 (my sales person's interest in my knowledge of incentive gave me the impression that was the biggest compelling push to lower bid).

I would highly recommend the dealership - Herson's Honda in Md. They were very quick on the whole processes and worked very hard to get my business - UNLIKE Fairfax Honda where the Gen Sales Man told me face to face not to include him in the "Fax attack". He said he doesn't do business that way. Guess he doesn't need the business or can't stand competition or knows his unwillingness to give the best deal. Either way, I was more than happy to appease him.

I was at Herson's at 5pm and the dealer was done with the transaction around 6:15 - including financing. The sales person was very nice and informative. At around 6:40 I asked, "What can I do to get the process going. I kind of want to start heading home." He said, "We are done. We are just chatting." He was that willing to spend time with me.

If you go there, I hope you have the same great car-buying experience. All 5's for these guys. Good luck.
    [/I]"#818 of 819 Good price on Civic automatic EX 4DR w/side airbags by jaa37 Jan 27, 2004 (1:17 pm)
    Fair Honda in CT offered $16,167 incl. destination charge, etc. but not incl. taxes, registration fees, etc. Seems like a pretty good deal..." [/I]

I have bought parts from Fair Honda's internet parts department (www.fairhondapartsforyou.com) for a couple of years now, and finally bought a car from them last year, about this time. Dealing with the internet sales manager was a breeze, and I got the price not too many people believe in. I can only say the good things about Fair Honda. No, I don't work for them, but they always take care of me.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    If you used Edmunds.com to research a vehicle you bought from a Denver-area dealership and would like to talk about your experience on camera Saturday, January 31, 2004, please contact jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and the name of the dealership. Responses must be in by Friday, January 30, 2004 for consideration. Thanks! Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Unbelievably, dealer called and offered me this deal after insisting on full sticker while I was there last Saturday looking at it. What moved him $2000 in a week? My guess is that dealers aren't selling jack squat around here (Midwest).I really like this car, unfortunately Mother Nature dumped 14" of snow on us this week and that likely trumps the deal until Spring. Wife says it is nice but endorses the purchase of new CRV. Fun side of me says get the Si, practical side says she is right, get the CRV. I am driving my 4wd Civic Wagon until it dies, that may be a while. Thanks for input posts 820 and 821, I am going to ponder my options knowing that I don't need to buy a new car. Tough choice.
    Got message numbers mixed up in the previous post, I meant 815 and 816 re: Si not 820 and 821.
    The snow is probably what made the dealer offer you the price. Right now, everyone who is on the market for a new car is going to be looking at the AWD/4WD and the will be no deals to have. The rule of thumb is that you buy a sports car in the winter and 4WD truck in the summer. This way the dealer is more willing to sell you one. I bet you your dealer has an S2000 right now for under $30K, because no one is looking at the rear wheel drive converitble when there is 14" of snow on the ground. If you had quibbles about buying Si for sticker, don't expect the CR-v to be discounted, besides the sticker on comparable equipped CR-V EX is over $21K
    I had posted earlier that I had a car on order from Treadwell Honda in Mobile, AL for a great price. Well the whole deal turned into a disaster and I would have to say Treadwell's Internet and Head Sales managers are totally clueless about even remotely taking care of their customers. The funny thing was I was a repeat buyer from them who had sent many referrals. That will never be the case again!

I ended up getting the same car at Marshall Volkswagen Honda in Panama City Florida. Bought it over the phone for the same price from a staff that knows how to treat customers. Picked up the car 2 days later and everything was perfect. The staff was wonderful and the car was detailed flawlessly. I even had them do a 4-wheel alignment for free, since I live out of town. It was coded so it wouldn't show against my free first year adjustment from Honda. I don't like to find out the alignment was bad from the factory by my tires showing wear, so I always have the dealer do a documented alignment and I get the paperwork before I pick a new vehicle up. I got 1.9% Honda financing for 36 months and I paid $14,651.26 (base price including destination) and $149.00 (Dealer Doc/processing fee) for a grand total of $14,800.26 not including Florida tax. I now have 400 miles of driving it under my belt and the car is great. I got 31.2 MPG in mostly city driving on the first tank. Marshall Honda provided me with the best car experience I have ever had!
  • taykinitezytaykinitezy Member Posts: 56
    How does a person decide what makes more financial sense when choosing model years? Ex: local ad price for '03 Si at $16460. Web quote from another dealer on a '04 is $17800. Would 1 year newer be worth $1400? Figuring that I will keep the car 8-10 years.Would anyone happen to know invoice on an '04? All advice is appreciated...
  • cmoran8195cmoran8195 Member Posts: 2
    i researching prices for the dx auto civic. what would a good walk-out price be on this car? not including taxes or apr. I went to the dealership but you all know how that prob went(walk in wanting a dx, and they convince you to get the ex for only 5 grand more etc...) Or should i wait until later in the year for a better deal when they are getting the 05's and want to get rid of the 04's. I just need some advice..please i beg of you!!!
    I think you should easily be able to buy an 2004 VP 4-door Civic with automatic transmission for $13,200 or less including destination. Don't actually go to any Honda dealers. Call all Honda dealers in your area and ask for the internet manager. Start at the dealer farthest away. Tell them you already have a price of 13,300 out the door, not including state tax. Ask them how much they can beat that deal by. Also you can get Honda 3.9% financing for 60 months right now, if you have good credit. Because of dealer incentives, I believe there will be no better time to buy a Civic than now for the rest of the year. This incentive is set to expire 1 Mar 04 and I believe a 2004 is your best bang for the buck and I also keep cars a very long time (13 to 15 years). If you can afford it though, I would recommend an LX, it's an even bigger bang for your buck. Read my deal a few posts back. Good luck.
  • cmoran8195cmoran8195 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info!!! what would a real good low ball price be with out the dealer hanging up on me. i see ads now in the newspaper for around $12888 (prob for a man trans). Sould i just say 12900 (for an automatic) and hope for the best?
    vp 4 door come with auto, vp 2 door comes with stick.
    I would disagree that right now is the best time to buy. It is a good time to buy, but anytime after spetember 15th is the best time to buy. If your dealer has a left over 2003 that would be a better deal, as they would be willing to unload it. If you look at the packaging from Honda, you can get a 2003 LX or EX manual for the same as 2004 VP auto.
    Honda by my work has a 2003 EX 2 door 5 spd adverized for $14,000 or something. It is still sitting there, because it seems to me no one in this portion of NJ knows how or willing to drive stick.
  • walendowwalendow Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of purchasing this car from Herson's Honda in MD. They are offering me a similar deal to message # 819: $15777 + tax/tags (without the wheel locks and mudguards). I have only corresponded with them via email and phone, and my experience has been good thus far. One question I have is whether I can use the fact that I'm paying cash (not financing) as a negotiating tool for additional savings? If so, how much more do you think I can squeeze out of them?

I was all set to buy the car last week at a different dealer in College Park, MD, but I had a horrible experience there. They sent me a detailed quote with a great price so I drove all the way out there. After going through the test drive, etc., it was time to finalize the deal. At that point the salesman essentially told me that I could not buy the car described in the quote because every car they sell comes with an added Protection Package (wheel locks, mudguards). The price tag: $1995 on top of the quote he had sent! Of course I walked out. Their tactic made me angry enough to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I would urge everyone to use extreme caution with this dealer or you may become a victim of the same trap.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I've been pricing Civic coupes for several months now. I absolutely love the Civic, and we all know what a great car it is, but I've come to the conclusion they are overpriced whether talking about new or used. Face it, these cars are very popular, and the demand is keeping their prices high. The other car that's certainly comparable to the Civic is the Corolla. Though I like the Civic better because I feel it has a lot more style, the Corolla is every bit as reliable (maybe more so), and can be had for a much more reasonable price. I haven't purchased anything yet as I'm not in a hurry, but I will continue to keep my eyes open for the latest price trends.
    The dealer gets his money either way, so paying cash isn't going to save you any money. You could actually make a case that financing through Honda would save you more money on the initial buy, because Honda is making more money off of you and they may give you a better price. But of course you will be paying more money in the end with interest charges over the loan. Just shop for the best price and buy the car. Personally I would hang on to some of my cash and use Honda's 1.9% financing for 36 months.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    I bought a Type S brand new and got a grand off. I bought in NH ,because Maine doesn't have any Acura dealers.
          So I took the window sticker to town hall$23,350 and had to pay 5% sales tax and $502.00Exxcise tax,plus $35.00 for plates.
          I took car back to NH for fog lights$400.00 and a spoiler $406.00 no tax as I didn't purchase options in ME. NH doen't have a sales tax.
          So you could negotiate a good deal ,but here you are still taxed on MSRP, not what you paid for it.
  • mike1456mike1456 Member Posts: 21
    My girlfriend wants to buy the 2003 Civic LX coupe. With all the rebates, etc., what should we expect to pay? What is the price difference between the 2003 and 2004? The dealer said that they are offering 2.9 percent on the 2003. Finally, she wants leather, should she add $1,200? Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Mike
    When you compare apples to apples Civic is cheaper. Civic does not have options, so fi you are comparing a Civic EX to Corolla CE you are comparin apples to oranges. Toyota still does "ala carte" thing and some people prefer it that way. I like the trim packaging better as there are less ways for the dealer to mess with your head.

#835 of 836 In Maine You Still Lose by joe249 Feb 07, 2004 (11:32 am)

Instead of taking the window sticker to your DMV, you should have brought the bill of sale. The bill of sale would have listed the "price paid" not MSRP, and you would have been taxed on "price paid"
  • dcgolfdcgolf Member Posts: 2
    How do I find the sticker price for a 1995 Honda Civix EX 4DR? I donated mine to charity, and apparently I have to list the cost basis on my tax return, but I don't remember what I paid for it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Actually, apples to apples in the Civic vs. Corolla arguement usually puts the Corolla a little cheaper on the MSRP.

In any case, those in NJ who are looking to purchase a Civic in the very near future would do well to check out Academy Honda in Old Bridge. With very little negotiation, I was offered a sales price of $14,261.15 on a Civic LX auto (and 3.9% financing). The car is not for me, I am negotiating on behalf of my aunt, who will be trading in her 1992 Civic LX which has about 172,000 miles on it. (The price I just quoted does not include the trade, I did not even mention that yet.) We have an appointment for later in the week to finalize everything.

For anyone really and truly interested, please email me and I can give you the name of an outstanding salesperson.

~alpha
  • l_e_ml_e_m Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in the market for a new vehicle, debating whether I should get a 04 Civic VP or a 04 Corolla CE.

I have been in contact with a dealer that my family has done business with previously, and they guaranteed $100 dollars over invoice on all Civics (and probably other models). Considering my locale, the cost not including tax/title is somewhere around $13,900. I may be able to negotiate for a little less, but I really do not want to press my luck.

In any case, do you think I should pursue the VP, or should I try to get the Corolla, which has a $1000 cash back incentive this month and would be, perhaps, $600 cheaper than the similarly equipped Civic?

I appreciate any input.
    They are both great cars, but I think the Honda is better and if you can negotiate well you should be able to buy the Honda for less. There is a $400 to $1000 dollar additional dealer holdback incentive on all Civics through 1 Mar, plus they have 3.9% financing for 60 months or even less for 48 (2.9%) and 36 (1.9%) months. You should be able to easily get you VP Civic 4-door with automatic out the door for $13,200 or less excluding state sales tax. Shop at another Honda dealer, tell them you already have $13,200 and ask them how much they can beat that price by. Also, use your best price on the Corolla at the Honda dealer and they should offer to beat it hands down. Good luck!
  • mike1456mike1456 Member Posts: 21
    Could anyone please give me guidelines as to what to aim for...buying within days. Thanks! We are also adding leather, and am assuming $1,200 to add...any help would be appreciated!