Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mllewellynmllewellyn Member Posts: 25
    hey kingdeuceoff,
    where was that dealership at where you got that quote?
    thats a great price.
    Can you let me know how to get a quote that low.
    Thanks.
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    Not sure. It's for sure active in the Boston area. If you go to Edmunds.com and request quotes from your local dealers, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if they have the incentive (all your offers for an LX should be sub $16K, for example). Hope that helps.
    Hi king:

I think that's pretty good. I have seen lower, but I live in a very competitive market. At most, you'll probably only get that $500 lower.
    I'm not sure where else to ask this:

If I buy a Honda at Dealer A (further away) because they have the better price, I can still go to Dealer B (closer to home) for service and warranty repairs without a problem, right? Is there any advantage to paying more for Dealer B because the are closer to me for service? Will Dealer B not want to give me a loaner car because I didn't purchase there?

Thanks!
  • crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    It should'nt be a problem.

I didn't buy my vehicle from the Honda dealer thats close to my home but take my car there for service without any issues with service or warranty repairs. They even accept the chepo third party extended warranty I've got on the car that I ended up using several times. When you buy the civic your original warranty will be with Honda Corporation and you can call them later to verify they have your name, vehicle VIN etc on record for warranty purposes. Dealer is just an intermediary to perform the service.

I've not had any issues with loaner cars either. But I would suggest you call the service dept of the honda dealer closer to your home to verify whether they would offer free loaner car if you bring your civic (bought elsewhere) for service.
  • crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    mllewellyn,
    I don't have knowledge about specific dealers in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale that are offering best deals right now.

I've observed here that people sometimes get a better deal when they expand their search area to dealerships +/- a couple hours driving distance from home. Just be sure to finalize the deal and OTD price before you head out, and definitely take the printout with you. If you are going to finance with Honda Finance, get pre-approved at honda website and take print out of that and their current speical offer with you. I hope this helps.
  • kingdeuceoffkingdeuceoff Member Posts: 8
    I got that quote from Martin Honda in Newark, DE.

No joke, it was the first quote they gave me when I sent a request over edmunds. They said they knew I was shopping around and gave me "their best price". I got Union Honda in Wilmington to match it, but that's it. I have contacted others that have guarantees to beat any price, and they refuse.

I am probably going to purchase at that price. They were no nonsense with me from the beginning, and close to home.
  • eslingesling Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Got a quote from a dealer

Car price : $15000
    Destination: $670
    Sales Tax (7%): $1,104.
    Doc Fee: $199
    Reg Fee: $27

OTD: $16972

What should I do next? Should I ask them for add-ons ?
    What to do next? Go buy it! Sounds like a great price.
  • eslingesling Member Posts: 2
    Really? I am a bit worried if I go in, they change the deal. This is my first time buying a new car and all the dealers are pushing me to buy within the next two days. And i just started looking 4 days ago. Thanks to this forum, i did some internet bidding and that's what I got from a dealer and I know most of them will match it.. Just hope there is no hidden charges or changes... Thanks Boston!
  • mrhighlandparkmrhighlandpark Member Posts: 3
    esling, care to share the name of your dealership? That's a couple hundred cheaper than my best quote, and I'm also looking in NJ.
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    They are pushing you to buy asap b/c the longer you stall, the cheaper they will have to get. Essentially, if you do not buy "today", it means you will shop around more and that you will eventually find a matched price or a lower price, especially in today's market.

As for changing the deal....what some dealers will do is act like they never quoted you that deal or try a bait and switch. If they do this, just stick to you guns and tell them you came in for that car and that deal. They are essentially playing games with you to try to get you to pay more or pay that price for a lower trim.Some will do this and start negotiating from scratch (just get up and begin to walk if this happens), while some will be honest and just bring the papers ready to sign once you walk in.
    abchin486: there's some truth to this. The other reason they are pushing this is because they will lose their incentive at the end of the month. My source said that Honda will not be renewing that incentive in May, but I do not know for sure if that is the truth.

Also, yes, just stick to your guns. You have all of the fees and an "out the door" price. I'm assuming you'll be financing yourself or paying cash? That's the only way they could significantly up the price (by giving you a high interest rate). If they try to switch you, just walk out the door. Be sure not to give them anything that could prevent you from walking out the door (e.g. keys to your trade-in, if you have one), until you have absolutely finalized every nickel and dime in writing.
  • vegashomesvegashomes Member Posts: 24
    I cant see any carmaker ending or reducing incentives in this economy
  • scfscf Member Posts: 3
    I would have to agree with that as well...especially as we get later into year, I really can't see Honda nor the dealerships -increasing- the prices on 2009 models. They want those cars off the lot before the 2010's arrive!!

At least, thats what I'm hoping because I might have to forgo a fantastic deal on an EX (auto, 18k OTD, tax 9.25%) that expires at the end of the month!! Heres hoping that I'll still be able to get a fantastic deal in May..
  • hc09hc09 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I got the following price for my Civic LX 09
    Invoice # 15456.80
    Dealer Chargers#589
    Tax(7%)# 1123.20
    Total OTD # 17169

i feel that i paid 500 more , just wanted to find out what others feel about this deal,because i am a first time car buyer and wanted to know if i did my research enough.

appricate all responses
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Is it an LX Coupe or Sedan? Manual or Automatic Transmission?

An LX Sedan with Automatic has a True Market Value price of $17,168 in the Atlanta market. That doesn't include taxes and fees. If yours is a 4-door automatic, you got a very good deal it would seem.

Just curious, which Atlanta dealer did you purchase it from? I'm a native and I've dealt with most of the Honda dealers at one time or another.... :)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • okeyobiozookeyobiozo Member Posts: 8
    Any suggestions on OTD price for 2009 Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Nav? I'm getting a quote of 20+ and 21+ in MD.
  • thavornthavorn Member Posts: 20
    Any good deals in around orange county? What should I expect to pay in the 3rd -4th week of May for Lx auto sedan? Thanks
    its LX Sedan Auto, and i got it from conyers honda.
    just wondering whats the least price any body paid for 09 LX Sedan Auto
    Hc,

That's very competitive.
  • irizeririzer Member Posts: 6
    I received the following quotes including a EX-L Sedan with Navi. Also this is minus the $670 detination fee. After talking to them on the phone they said they would take another $150 off. So the EX with Navi would be $19,169 before tax, tags and doc fees. What do you think? It is pretty good, but it seems in line with what other people are getting this month. Haven't pushed the button yet myself. I don't care about Navi that much, but I want bluetooth and Navi is the only way to get it.

2009 Civic EX w/navi Sedan auto:$18,649*
    (MSRP: )$22,105*
    2009 Civic EXL w/navi Sedan auto: $20,071*
    (MSRP: )$23,655*
    2009 Fit sport w/navi auto:$18,285*
    (MSRP):$18,960*
    2009 Civic SI w/navi sedan auto:$20,484*
    MSRP is $24,105*
    do i take it as , i could have bargained for less?
  • warmonkedwarmonked Member Posts: 7
    Man, some of you guys are getting spectacular deals prices compared to what I'm seeing. I'm in Seattle and have been to two dealerships so far. For a LX Sedan AT, Lynnwood Honda, gave me an initial quote of $17500+T&TL. I then approached Bellevue Honda and gave them that price, they didn't have an LX in my color, so they offered an LX-S at $17,500. With Seattle's 9% sales tax, I'd be paying over $19k OTD.
  • tyhd91tyhd91 Member Posts: 10
    i agree with the fact that some of you guys are getting great deals.

I just recieved an OTD price of $19,706 for the Honda Civic LX Sedan model.

Do you think i should negotiate to bring the price down. Whats a good price range for this model?
    Are you asking for quotes online? I used Edmunds.com to submit to 5 local dealers. Then I chose another zip code that's local and submitted to a few more. That's how I got the best prices. The dealer incentives *could* be regional; I am honestly not sure. The only problem using Edmunds is that they did not get my request on the first try from the comments field--I had to resend it via email. Not a huge problem. Be very specific about model and color and then ask for their best price including a breakdown of all taxes and fees.
  • jukordsjukords Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone,

It is my first time to buy a car and this is my first post to the forum.

I am planning to buy 09 Civic LX auto and already contacted several dealers here in Maryland tru internet.

Best BASE quote I have so far is $15660 from Pohanka.

Do dealers change and increase base cost/offers if you have not so good credit rating or will they just give you higher APR? :confuse:
    Where are you located?

The minimum price I've seen on this board seems to be around $15.5k + Tax and Registration for an LX Sedan AT
    I'm located in las vegas.
  • loanthonyloanthony Member Posts: 5
    I'm also in Seattle and have been shopping around for civics. Speaking to some guys at Honda of Seattle, I am convinced that I could get an LX model for under $17K before T/T. How much below $17K I don't know. Nonetheless that does seem a lot higher than what I've been reading on this forum. I suppose if one were to roll up his/her sleaves and really haggle, you could probably get $16.5K in Seattle.
    What pricing are yiu seeing in Vegas?
    the dealer is letting me negotiate the price for the 2009 Honda Civic LX Sedan.
    Where should I start at?
    Yeah, I'm starting to email some more dealers the quotes I've gotten. I hope to get some actual prices and not the usual "why don't you schedule a time to come down." It's such a pain to drive 10-20 miles only to get further jerked around.
    750 below invoice. What dealer are you talking about?
    warmonked, if you don't want to drive someplace just to begin negotiating, tell them your price over the phone (or via email), and ask that they send you an email confirming acceptance of your offer.

Just say, "if you can sell me a car at $xxxxx, send me an email with the full breakdown, and I'll be there later today, checkbook in hand."

If they can't handle such a straightforward manner of doing business, then they weren't going to be fun to deal with in person either. When dealers give me signals that they aren't equipped to do business in a normal manner (such as refusing to give quotes via email, lying about invoice prices, or failing to respond with a complete breakdown of fees when asked), I just ban them from my email account. Why even pretend that a loser like that is going to turn it all around and become a pleasure to deal with later on?
  • gtz99gtz99 Member Posts: 4
    Watch out for changes with pricing of the Civic. I had two firm written quotes from Buerkle Honda and Hopkins Honda for a Civic EXAT at $17,344. When I went in to purchase the car last night they said they were no longer able to meet that price and was now $18,300. I walked out and contacted the other dealer who sent me the quote and said he was no longer able to meet my price. I then called a third dealership who said they would be anybody's price by $100 and he could not do it either. I think some changes are coming at Honda and I now think I may never buy a Honda again and this contractual breach borders on unethical behavior.
  • gtz99gtz99 Member Posts: 4
    What was the name of the dealership and in what city? Thanks
    750 below the base invoice?
    im talking about findlay honda henderson
    That would be a good place to start. Almost positive they sell at 500 under. . Let me know how you do.
  • swafunswafun Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my 2009 Atomic Blue 4dr Auto Honda Civic LX-S.
    My OTD Price was $18,100 which I thought was great. I sent out e-mails to local dealerships and received quotes back went with the best OTD Price and the dealership matched it. Do you think I could have done better?
    Yes, you could have done better. Next time look for a forum like this one to see what people are getting.

The prices do range by market...but I would think for an LX-S sedan auto, you could have seen a base price of around $16,000 if you shopped around enough.
  • whoareyou310whoareyou310 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if this was the right forum or not to find out what people are paying for manufacturer certified used civics?? In particular 2007 LX AUTO models? I live near Philadelphia, PA, and one of the local dealers here in West Chester,PA...has one listed for 15,422....just wondering how low should such negotiations start becuase how do you find the invoice on a used car?? thanks for any info you can provide or steer me in the right direction.. thanks so much
  • leberwurstleberwurst Member Posts: 1
    2009 Honda Civic VP Automatic
    Bought today in Cleveland.

$15,040 base price
    $16,500 out the door

I found this forum very helpful in figuring out what I should pay.
    Thanks to everyone!
  • albireoalbireo Member Posts: 1
    Re: Honda Civic LX AT sedan, red (Northern California; San Francisco Bay Area).

I’ve been browsing this forum, and it was a significant help to me, so I wanted to post my numbers for reference. Thanks to all who share their info. Although I’ve seen OTD prices that were lower, I think my price falls within the reasonable deal category –especially for Northern California / San Francisco Bay Area [final base price w/ dest. fee $15,938; OTD $17,750].

I shopped around with about six local dealers in my area and made a few counter offers to the final contenders. I was in a bit of a hurry to get a new car and didn't necessarily have the time to push for the absolute bottom price. I just didn't want to feel like I was getting ripped off. The price variations were significant -especially with the face-to-face dealer encounters. One guy (the highest quote) told me that his $16,900 base price w/ dest. fees was “cutting to the bone.” Another guy quoted $16,600 base price w/ dest. fees and tried to push the same day impulse buy (“just walk around the block and think it over”). One Internet sales quote came in just under $16,000, but he left out the destination fee and then wouldn’t come down when I showed him other lower offers.

Going through the Internet sales reps. was absolutely the way to go. Make sure the “extras” are included in the email correspondence (Once at the dealership, I had to show the sales rep. copies of my email correspondence which included all-weather floor mats since a different guy handled email negotiations). Still, overall, when I got to the dealer (Walnut Creek Honda), there were no last minute games and the sale was handled expeditiously.

Final Numbers: Honda Civic LX AT sedan, California / San Francisco Bay Area (Alameda County / East Bay):

Sticker MSRP w/ $670 dest. fee: $18,825

Final base price with $670 dest. fee: $15,938
    Doc Prep. fee: $55
    CA Sales Tax + Alameda County Local: $1,559 (ugh!)
    License fees: $103
    Reg., title, transfer: $85
    CA tire fee: $8.75

**Total OTD sale price: $17,750 with all-weather rubber mats (front and back).
  • boston84boston84 Member Posts: 10
    16950ish :-/

It's hard though. Not too many places were willing to match.
  • fourfourtwofourfourtwo Member Posts: 13
    I am in Cleveland too, and am looking to buy a Civic Coupe. Could you tell me which dealer you went to as that sounds like a great price.

Thanks much.
    Just bought my auto Civic LX Sedan, and I got the price I wanted, but WOW was it not a fun experience. Literally 5+ hours of waiting, arguing, lying, chasing me into the parking lot, me demanding a new salesman to work with, etc. I mentioned my price on the phone in advance, and brought in my offer on paper and handed it to them right off the bat, so I'm amazed that they told me up front they could do the deal and then still let it come to this.

Anyway, my out the door price with 7% NJ tax was $17,443.05. I know readers like the full breakdown, but it's meaningless in my case because we worked backwards from my out the door offer. My thinking when I made the offer was $15.3k + $670 destination + $100 doc fee and standard NJ TTL. On the actual receipt they wrote it up with a lower base price and higher fees.

Now it's time to put the unfortunate and unnecessary waste of time behind me, and enjoy the car I wanted at the price I wanted.
    I think there's a forum for used vehicles, but let me say this-

That's the base price you should be paying for a 2009, maybe a few hundred more.

Scott Honda is an ok place to buy, my girl's parents bought their pilot there. I personally just bought from Martin in DE.

If you want to make an offer on that vehicle take the blue book price and knock off a few grand...But that 15,422 has been attained in our market (Greater Philly), on a NEW 09' LX SEDAN AUTO.

I'm willing to bet the incentives are even bigger this month, so wait til the last week and you may find that a new vehicle isn't as bad of a choice as you think. Oh, and use the internet for pricing/negotiating, it's the bee's knees. Just my $0.02.
  • earsofcarsearsofcars Member Posts: 6
    I would recommend a 09 compared to an 07 if you are ready to shell out $15000.

The used car market is wacky once you cross $10000 mark.

It's your choice end of the day.
  • mllewellynmllewellyn Member Posts: 25
    Hey guys,
    Do any of you know what May has to offer as for incentives and rebates. I got a quote back saying as of May 1, the incentives/rebates are gone from April.
    Thanks