Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mllewellynmllewellyn Member Posts: 25
    Hey guys,
    Is $19,000 flat OTD a good price for a 2009 Honda Civic Ex auto sedan?
    I live in Miami, Fl with a 6% sales tax.
    Thanks for the advice
  • civic09civic09 Member Posts: 18
    am getting multiple offers for 09 civic EX, Auto, 4Door for ~17.4k in north east
    price includes evrything: destintoion, junk fees
    no trade-ins and no games!
    ONLY sales tax and DMV are extra
    what you think
    please advise!!!!!!!
  • desconocidadesconocida Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a 2009 Civic LX automatic sedan (in silver). I have received three quotes:

$16,620 (incl. destination fee) - Brown's, Arlington, VA
    $16,489 (incl. destination fee) - Pohanka Honda, Fredericksburg, VA
    $16,269 (incl. destination fee) - Cary Honda, Raleigh, NC

I know that others on this forum purchased the same car for $15,500 and $15,800 (incl. destination) from Pohanka last month. When I asked the Pohanka sales rep about this, she said that Honda was offering dealers better incentives in April and they were passing them through to customers.

Given that we're now in May (and the April incentives have expired), do you think I can get the price any lower than $16,269 (incl. destination)? Has anyone had luck buying a 2009 Civic LX auto for less in the VA/MD/DC area in the last couple of weeks?

Thanks for your help.
  • evilweievilwei Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for sharing. I am wonder if your price includes the tax? I am in PA and am looking at the automatic LX too. The best offer I got for now is 17,295 OTD.
  • desconocidadesconocida Member Posts: 3
    The prices I quoted ($16,289-$16,620) are the sales price plus destination/freight fee ($670). They are before taxes, tags, and processing fee, which I estimate will be another $1,000.
  • mllewellynmllewellyn Member Posts: 25
    Hey guys,
    I'm planning to buy a car this weekend and quickly need your advice.
    Is $19,000 flat OTD a good price for a 2009 Honda Civic Ex auto sedan?
    I live in Miami, Fl with a 6% sales tax.
    Thanks for the advice
  • venzie99venzie99 Member Posts: 8
    I think the price is really good, jump on it before the quote expires.
    Seems about perfect.
  • jhusfjhusf Member Posts: 3
    I am living in San Francisco, I need to buy a new car before June 1. I started to send quote request by email to dealerships around me on Wed. Yesterday I got my best offer of $17500(out of the door price), and bought my new car from Honda of El cerrito. It was a pleasant buy. I do not have the quote email. They only told me the OTD price over the phone, and I accepted their offer. They immediately picked me up from my office and drove me the dealership. The second best offer is $17875(OTD).
    I got a lot of useful information from this board, I hope my experience is also helpful.
  • sdarlingsdarling Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate the many posts on this forum as I used much info to purchase a new civic coupe yesterday. I used edmunds.com to send out requests for quotes to 5 dealers, 2 responded with quotes on email. The first somewhat shocked me:
    Honda Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price: $18,725

Your Special Wittmeier Internet Price: $15,360

This included everything except tax (8.25%), license and doc fees. Based on what I read here, this was a good deal and used the 3.90% finance. This offer could not be beat by the others in the area (Roseville, Auburn etc). I confirmed by phone, drove to dealer, test drove, signed papers and drove home new coupe in 2 hours...no hassle at all. For me the internet quotes were great compared to my last experience in buying a new car in 2001. Hopes this helps someone in this local area who is looking to buy a coupe.
  • fourfourtwofourfourtwo Member Posts: 13
    Excellent post as we are looking at same car Was yours Automatic or manual ??
    My Civic coupe is automatic. Seems like my wife now owns my coupe....I see that i'm in for a fight. It was gone this morning already for the weekly shopping:)
  • wmtnwmtn Member Posts: 2
    evilwei ....can you tell me what dealership you have gotten this offer from? I am also in PA and want an automatic lx but have not gotten any OTD prices that low, thanks!
  • fourfourtwofourfourtwo Member Posts: 13
    They are sharp looking cars - you'll need to get another one it sounds like :-)
    I live in Ohio and the lowest I seem to be able to get is $15,100 for a manual is not as good as you got for an automatic. What other quotes did you get for the automatic?
    The other quote I recieved was:

2009 Honda Civic LX Coupe w/Automatic Trans.

MSRP:$18,925.00
    Invoice:$17,656.67
    Your Price:$16,371.40

I called this dealer and he came down another 500.00...16871.00, so the first quote was a clear winner.
  • sigma1914sigma1914 Member Posts: 9
    I know its impossible to predict without insider information, but does anyone think there is a possibility of incentives on 2009 Civics for June? I think I'm pretty set on buying a Civic, but I don't need the car until next month. I'm guessing that the current deals can only either stay the same or get better in June.

Thoughts?
    There already is a dealer cash incentives in effect until july. they are $750 for the sedan and $1000 for the coupe. I really doubt it will get any better than this, honda has never offered customer rebates and I doubt they ever will as that would hurt the resale values that they are known for. Good hunting.
  • kyaaakyaaa Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm living in chicago, and it's my first time getting a car.
    I've got offered at $17400 OTD for Civic LX Auto Sedan.
    However, I want this car at 17000.... Do you think it is possible?

Chicago Tax: 9.25%
    Extra fees: approximately $ 300
    I'll appreciate any comments.
  • jeaniem1jeaniem1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2009 Honda Civic EX-L Urban Titanium in Round Rock (Honda) two days ago for 19,500 plus ttl; no dealer pack; no destination; no other fees; just ttl. They were the BEST!! I'm a single girl and they treated me with the utmost respect and honesty. Glen Spears is the guy to ask for in Sales!! Phenomenal!!! Good Luck!!
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    With that high of a tax rate, $17.4 OTD sounds amazing to me.

In the Boston area, the best price I have received just emailing around (not negotiating yet) is $16350 on the LX. With your taxes and fees, that's $18,162 OTD. That means your selling price is around $15.7K. I have only seen a quote that low back in April with the extra $500-$1000 to dealer volume-based incentive. Is that a recent price?
    Yes. I got this quote last saturday. I also think this price is the minimum I can get..
    This might be a dumb question, but won't your tax rate be much lower out of the city? I read Illinois has a 6.25% tax on vehicles, so I assume the city of Chicago tacks on an extra 3%?
  • chicago1985guychicago1985guy Member Posts: 10
    On Monday Paid:

$15860 (selling price for 2009 Civic LX Sedan Automatic) that price includes the destination charge....

Nothing extra was added on!

Not computing the OTD because it is misleading, since its different in every state.... but i believe it was 17774

151 doc fee
    143 new plates
    15 county fee.
    9.25% chicago tax. (yeap unfortunatelly)

Thank you for everybody that posts to this forum! - Thanks for all your comments and help!

The dealer was Castle Honda , In Suburban Chicago (Morton Grove, IL)

Ps. They also wanted 550 more for the LX-S - also a good choice in the Civic Lineup, in my opinion..

Cheers everybody!
    Wow. Seems like there must be some regional dealer incentive or just extra stock in the Chicago area. Prices there are about $1K lower than in the Boston area based on the two posts from Chicago readers.
    Oh.. Castle Honda.. I visited there also, but they offered me at 17.5K.
    17.4K is from other dealer shop; however, I'm gonna visit Muller Honda as well. Anyway, who was your dealer? What is your car color?
  • spizzelspizzel Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Boston area as well and I'm looking to get a 09 Civic ex sedan, what dealership would you recommend? I live in Burlington and Herb Chambers is right across the street so I was going to hit there first but you seem to know your stuff for Boston, any advice on which place I should aim for first?
  • samgreensamgreen Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I saw a television ad for Silko Honda in the Boston area--sort of. They are advertising 15,700 for I believe an LX auto, but I could be wrong. Is it possible that Honda has added an extra incentive (in addition to the $750/1000 marketing incentive) for dealers just as they did at the end of April?
    Atomic Blue ... its a little more harder to get than the rest urban metallics, blacks and silvers... so i pulled the trigger. I bet i could shave off a little more at the VERY END of April, but the color would not be there... so what is the point.

When you are getting real close to the dealer triple net price... they want extra $$$ for relocation (getting car in desired color from another dealer)

Get your homework done BEFORE going into the dealership. Once you step your foot in the door, the dealer already has an upper hand! - not good.

We settled on the price over the email... and after that the dealer would not budge even $1.

Good Luck to all!

Ask for Mariusz(Mario) @ Honda on Grand in Elmhurst, IL .. Tell him I send you (Mark is my name) . He had the second Best Price! mariuszm@hondaongrand.com is his email.

But Do your Homework over the Email... when you get the reply for 'a dealer' employee its usually a person higher up authorized to give out better pricing to draw the customers in!

Good Luck again!
  • jukordsjukords Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone,

I got internet quote from Landmark Honda Virginia today

Civic LX-S Auto Sedan

OTD $18,704.
    Accessories: allseason mats, mudguard, and rear bumper applique.

Is this a good deal?

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    We settled on the price over the email... and after that the dealer would not budge even $1.

The dealer is to be commended for sticking to their email agreement with you. Once a price is agreed to by both parties, that should be that. Unfortunately, there are tales told here of dealers not honoring a deal made via email.
  • sigma1914sigma1914 Member Posts: 9
    Awesome, thanks, I didn't know about the $750 dealer cash for sedans.
  • boston84boston84 Member Posts: 10
    I bet if you stood up and walked out, the dealer would budge.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Maybe they would budge. But that would be dishonest, wouldn't it--to agree to a price, then ask the dealer to come down even more?
    Guys, Guys, What is up with the Negativity? Whose side are you on? =) BTW, does anybody think that the sneaky dealers watch this forum for inside info? =)

I am unsubscribing now.... I got the car, got the good price, but probably there will be beter prices available. at the very end of June/July/August. But i needed the car!

Cheers!
    Hi bostonben,

I got internet quote from Landmark Honda Virginia yesterday.

Civic LX-S Auto Sedan

OTD $18,704.
    Extras - all season mats, mudguard, and rear bumper applique.

Is this a good deal? My quote is valid til friday.

Is it possible for the dealer from other state to register the new car to where I leave, that is from VA dealership to MD MVA? is there additional processing cost? :confuse:

thanks
    Sorry wrong spelling
  • pescamaaanpescamaaan Member Posts: 6
    State: MA
    Model: EX-auto
    MSRP: 20,775 (incl dest)
    Invoie: 19,185
    Price paid: 17,835 (incl dest, doc fees)
    tax: $891 (5% MA)
    Title: 105

OTD: $18,831
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    it's fully possible....but they may charge a fee for it and you will be responsible for getting your state's inspection sticker. You have to ask the dealer.
  • poopah17poopah17 Member Posts: 1
    What are people paying in upstate NY for LX-S....just quoted $17239 by two different dealers plus tax and licensing. Is this a good price or can I get it for less.
    Unfortunately Chicago has a home rule tax of 1.25% that seems pretty much inescapable if your driver's license lists a Chicago address.
  • kareninmakareninma Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a 2009 Civic Hybrid, basic, no leather or nav for $19,668 (before TTL) from Atamian in Tewksbury, MA. Pretty happy with that deal, weren't many 2009s left, in fact the rest of the dealers completely ignored my online request for a quote on a civic hybrid. It was the last one on the lot, the one we test drove at Peters of Nashua was also the last on their lot (didn't like the interior colors though, navy blue and tan yuk).

One of the salespersons we passed in the lot while waiting for the car to get gassed up said they were selling them for $3K over MSRP a year ago, and we got nearly $4700 below MSRP, so it felt like a good time to get a hybrid.
    I bought Civic LX-S auto sedan at 18000 OTD.
    16100 + ttl (tax 9.25%)

Chicago and new plate.
    I'm satisfied with this deal.
  • myami3myami3 Member Posts: 2
    I received two OTD quotes from Miami, FL dealerships for a Honda Civic LX 4dr A/T.

Here is the first:
    Msrp $18925.00
    Selling Price $17188.00
    Batt/Tire $6.50
    Tag Processing $27.00
    Doc $55.00
    Tax $1086.59
    Tag Transfer $100.00
    Total $18463.09

And here is the second:
    $16,288.00
    799.00 fees
    $17087.00
    $ 1110.65 tax
    $18197.65
    177.00 transfer
    $18374.65 total otd

Based on what I saw in this forum, I would have expected the OTD's to be $500-$1000 less than what was quoted.
    Is this a good deal?
  • voltron12voltron12 Member Posts: 13
    Look at the post directly above yours. Someone is getting an LX-S for 18K OTD. Based on that and your forum research, I would say, no, you are not getting the best deal.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    The deals aren't that great down here in South Florida actually and most have a very high dealer fee which they usually won't budge on. Guess since we're so "car crazy" down here like California, the dealers have some clout. Funny though, the Nissan dealer made it go away on my kids car in January. Better prices can be had out of state if one is willing to drive. I wasn't and am very happy with my LX despite several warranty issues.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• myami3myami3 Member Posts: 2
    I just got two more OTD for quotes for the Civic LX 4dr AT at $17,639 and $17,739.
    That's more in line with what I expected.
  • mstvmstv Member Posts: 1
    Black Honda EX Coupe Automatic: $17,775 + TTL.

After watching the forum for some time I filled out the dealer price quote on Edmunds for my area, which went to 5 dealers. Got back several in the low 18s for this model, but only one for this price, which was from Thousand Oaks Honda. Internet manager made it painless, honored the price no problem (several dealerships hinted that he wouldn't). Told him on my way to finance manager wouldn't buy extended warranty or any "extras"- no pressure. Financed for 3 years at 2.9%. Exactly 4 charges were added: $8.00 Ca Tire fee, $55 doc fee, the registration fee, and Ca sales tax. OTD is at home, but considering MSRP is 20,105 and invoice on Edmund's is 18,515, I figured $750 below invoice was a good deal. Car looks absolutely amazing.
    I got internet quote from Cologe Park Honda in MD today.

Civic LX-S Auto Sedan

Extras - all season mats, mudguard, and wheele locks, door guards, and w/ extended warranty ($100 deductible)

OTD $18,553

Ill check it out tomorrow.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Please folks, again OTD can vary from $200-$1900 additonal to the purchase price depending on your county and state.

The lx and lx-s autos seem to be going for between the high 15000s,-high 16000's

The ex auto around the mid-high 17000s

Including all dealer fees (sans taxes and tag of course-- ttl)

Thats about it. To get 4 stars and perhaps a smiley face from teacher you may perhaps be able to knock off $500 or more last few days of the month.

good luck
    --jjf
  • atlkep1atlkep1 Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my 09 Civic LX Sedan and feel pretty good about the price.
    Since I got so much good information from this group, I wanted to post my
    info for others.

Request for bids went out on Tuesday, 19MAY.
    Replies were: (these are base prices, no freight/delivery charges included)
    $16206 Nelson Honda, Martinsville
    $15983 Woodson Honda, Roanoke
    $16118 Duncan Honda, Christiansburg
    $16368 Covington Honda, Covington
    ?????? Billy Craft Honda, Lynchburg

All replies were received by 22MAY, except Billy Craft Honda.
    Second request for quote sent to Billy Craft Honda on 22MAY.
    No response to second request, Billy Craft Honda was eliminated from consideration.

On 25MAY, sent offer to purchase car for $16600 OTD to 4 remaining dealerships.
    Replies were: (base prices, no freight/delivery charges included)
    $15449 Nelson Honda (16983 OTD)
    $15434 Woodson Honda (16900 OTD)
    $16368 Covington Honda (18250 OTD) eliminated from consideration, refused to lower price

Duncan Honda would only respond to a quote that I had received from another dealer, so I sent them copies of the 2 quotes that I had received.
    Duncan Honda called and agreed to match the $16900 price and include mud guards, pin striping, and floor mats. They also had one of the cars on the lot, which neither of the two remaining dealers did.

Final price $16900 OTD breaks down as: (numbers rounded)
    Base price 15397
    F/D 670
    VA Tax(.03) 489
    Bus Lic Tax 45
    T/L 58
    Accessories 240

I dealt with the Internet Sales Manager, and the process was excellent.
    Took a little over an hour to get everything done.

Thanx to everyone who makes this group such a great resource for purchasing a Civic.

Keith :shades: