Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ernst2ernst2 Member Posts: 3
    familydadx4:

I ended up paying $19300 with an otd price of $20212. Easy negotiation over the internet and phone. My dealer is Duncan's Hokie Honda in Christiansburg Virginia. My sales representative was awesome. Her name is Julie Felix. The car is a beauty and we are now happy to be a complete Honda Family, (1 2004 Odyssey EX-L and now a 2009 Civic EX-L). Thanks for your tips and advice.
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    I recently purchased a new civic, I had a 2004 Hyundai 350 as a trade in, when I purchased the 350 in 2004 I also purchased an extended warranty from Hyundai for $800.00, the factory warranty was still in effect when I got rid of it, I never even had the opportunity to use the extended warranty, I applied for a refund and after 3 long agonizing months trying to get the refund I finally called Hyundai Consumer Affairs, they contacted the dealer and I had my money the next day, only trouble was that the dealer kept half of the $800.00, so in actuality I had purchased an extended warranty for $400.00 and the dealer got the rest in commission. They tried to sell me an extended warranty when I purchased my 2009 civic for $800.00, I told them the reason I am buying a civic is I won`t have to worry about a lot of break downs because they are one of the most dependable cars on the market. If you read the extended warranties fine print you will see that they don`t cover everything like you are led to believe, in summing this up, cancel your extended warranties before the time expires, there is an excellent chance you will never use it. if you don`t believe me, just check with Consumer Reports, they say the same thing.
  • rmur23rmur23 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a black 09 EX civic coupe in Albany, NY for $17,980 ($1200 under invoice) + tax & fees. Came to about 19 even, minus $9K i got for trading in my 05 accord LXSE coupe with 46K miles. Was exactly $10K total out the door. Civic price was good, accord I may have gotten a little more for, but it needed tires, had some scratches, plus I had taken out the factory stereo/speakers for aftermarkets. Overall don't think I can really complain.

Love the new civic, moonroof and stereo system are terrific.
  • jukordsjukords Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

I think my civic has AC problem because its not cooling enough.
    Air coming out of the louvers are not cool until I turn the knob near full or when put in max AC.

I will not be charged if I let the dealer fix it right?

3 weeks old Honda civic lxs.

:confuse:
  • kaiotes1kaiotes1 Member Posts: 9
    they better fix it cuz u bought a brand new car that's < 1 month old
    i met up w/ my long trusted mechanic this morning. he urged me to get the refund as well. he's like civics should be good for the first 100k, after that, it aint guaranteed...
    so yea i'm getting the refund.
    thx for the input!!
  • crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    Honda dealers usually sell the extended warranty for $1600 so comparatively you did get a decent deal on warranty. If you read through other forums on Edmunds you may find that people are having a lot of issues with civics lately. Perhaps the quality of the product/ brand has gone down.

With that said, my $0.02 would be to consider keeping the extended warranty but negotiate a lower price for it. Warranty can come in handy if you are planning to keep the vehicle for up to 100K miles. I know you are not thrilled about the price charged for the warranty, but instead of lower price or refund, you can ask the dealer to convert your standard warranty into premium warranty to cover everything, and/or ask for zero deductible on claims.

My current vehicle came with extended warranty and it has more than paid for itself.
    One option to try would be to turn *off* the fresh air flow and run the AC with air on internal circulation only. This seems to increase the fan speed and cooling on my vehicle. I hope this helps.
    Civic is a very dependable vehicle that provides great gas mileage... and I love it for this. But dependability is only a relative term, and for civic all it means is that civic is more dependable than its peers. Which means things are still going to go wrong with the civic, its just that its not going to happen as much as it does with other comparable cars. When things do go wrong the owner is going to be on the hook for fixing it. And thats cash (or credit) out of pocket...

I am just your average consumer who doesn't like throwing the hard earned money away. Based on my experience with civic & extended warranties I would recommend:
    * Get an extended warranty for 7 yrs / 100k miles
    * Not all extended warranties are the same.
    * Do not get a standard 'Extended Warranty". Chose "Premium Package" that covers everything
    * Opt for $0 deductible for warranty claims
    * Extended warranty prices starts at $2K. Negotiate it down to ideally less than $1K
  • jcabrera4jcabrera4 Member Posts: 34
    Hi All

I was quoted a price on a Civic EX auto for $17885. This price includes destination.
    All they need to add is tax and dmv fees.

Do you think I can do better?
    My bro works at the stealership and says, I am going into the holdback.
  • sweetysoniasweetysonia Member Posts: 7
    I guess you are referring to LX. I got my car 2 door/coupe LX,Manual for 14,600(incl destination charges). OTD: 16,340
  • sweetysoniasweetysonia Member Posts: 7
    In this recession I think you should get that car for no more than $18,700 OTD
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    What more do you expect?

If you really think the place is a "Stealership" why would you even want to buy a car there?
  • jcabrera4jcabrera4 Member Posts: 34
    You must me a salesman.

I'm buying there because my bro works there
    Agree on the relative to other vehicles. The reason why i got it was i can afford it, i thought of it as a couple hundred a year over the course of 8 yrs. i'm buying it for the piece of mind
    the warranty is the warranty offered by honda w/ a 0 deductible. the finance guy blatantly lied to me when i asked him if i can buy this the next day as opposed to on the spot. He is going to get it just for the lie. i'm all for selling xxx at the highest price and earning the most commission. but if he is going to tell me how he never lies to his customers for the past xxx years, he is going to pay. as in... selling it to me for like < 700 as the collegehillshonda is selling it for 9xx. i need to make sure he makes as little money as possible (for revenge). if he comes back to me w/ a BS number, i'm just gonna return it. i got plenty of time to decide...i have nothing to lose, he's got a 500 commission check that he won't be seeing if he throws me BS.
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    In your particular case the extended warranty worked to your advantage, I`m saying nationwide the amount spent on repairs during the ownership of said vehicle is less on a (national average basis) than what you would spend on a extended warranty so in esence they are not worth it, and as I said in my previous post if you so decide to sell the car or trade it in before you even use the extended warranty, good luck in getting a return on your purchase price of the extended warranty in a reasonable length of time without having to call Honda consumer affairs as a last resort then setteling for app. 50% of what you paid for it. Also, as I said earlier all of this information against extended warranties is reported by Consumer Reports magazine.
  • frank04frank04 Member Posts: 1
    My best price right now including destination is 17640 in Roswell, GA. Is this a good price?

He mentioned something about including the 100k certified warranty as well. I definetly want to confirm that.
  • xxlinnilxxxxlinnilxx Member Posts: 2
    The best price I got so far is 17200 Out the Door which includes Doc, Destination, Tax, registration. What do you guys think? Perhaps I can get it lower when the quarter is coming to an end? I got the quotes from NJ, we have 7% tax.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    You got a very good deal there. I think they have to give more off the car to make up for your high taxes there.

Saccucci Honda, (myhondawarranty.com) and several others used to sell the 8yr/120 kmi factory warranty extension for about $800 online . Do a search in this forum on "extended warranty" to find perhaps other honda online sales. I heard they were supposed to stop this practice, but if you call the actual dealership (Saccucci, etc) They may sell it.

If you get some info show it to original dealer to match the 800 and refund $600 or cancel and buy online (or by phone). They fedex everything.

Good luck
    --jjf

Location, Marin Honda in Corde Madera in SF Bay area.

2009 Civic LX AT Sedan

MSRP=$18,925 (incl dest)
    Invoice=$17488
    Edmunds TMV = $16847

Was quoted (see few posts above) for 15777 (incl dest) or 17602 OTD. I got a dealer to go down to 17,550.

I decided to give the original sales guy the sale if he matched and he did.

Also got 2.9% for 36 months and got a warranty plan from Honda for 1,400 for 8yr/100k mi. I have 59 days to decide and get full refund. Any suggestions on the warranty plan?

Replies to=

To post a message, compose your text, then
  • desconocidadesconocida Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a Civic. Thanks to this forum, I had a great idea of what I should pay. I paid $16,411 OTD. Here's the cost breakdown for anyone who's interested.

Sales price: $15,125
    Destination: 670
    Processing: 89
    + Tax, tags, title

I purchased from Sport Honda in Maryland. This is lower than they originally quoted - I negotiated the price down based on offers from other area dealerships. I also found that buying in MD was cheaper than buying in VA ($89 processing fee versus $350-380) and they were able to process my VA tax/tags/title no problem.

The other dealership we considered buying from was Criswell Honda in Germantown, MD.
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    Try Diamond Honda in the City of Industry off the 60.
    They gave me a quote of 15,960. for a Civic/LX/Coupe/Auto.
  • magicarpetmagicarpet Member Posts: 2
    I'm also thinking about buying a Honda Civic LX. Did you buy a coupe or a sedan?

Please let me know who the salesman person you worked with was at Sports Honda.

Thanks much.
  • eb28eb28 Member Posts: 3
    Buying my first car and ideally I would like to purchase a 2009 Civic LX with Automatic transmission. I did the dealer quotes through Edmunds and went to a dealer that was offering $17800 OTD (in Houston, if that makes a difference). I went there, ideally wanting to get the price down to $17300, but the first thing the salesman says is, "All our cars are installed with $1500 of dealer added options." These are tint, wheel locks, trunk liner, etc. I do not want any of them. I could live with the tint, but at the right price. He offered to, "Go half and half," on the options ($750 now, but I still don't want them).

Is this standard practice? How does one go about buying a LX model just as it is configured on Honda's website. What is the best way to haggle them down? He seemed pretty firm on raising the price from $17800... Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Should I just go to another dealer? Thanks!
  • xxlinnilxxxxlinnilxx Member Posts: 2
    Try walk in saying you want the standard model only, no addons. If all they have are added on ones, then try elsewhere. I doubt Houston has just one Honda dealership... Remember, the end of the quarter is just around the corner, they NEED to boost their sales number. WALKING OUT is the best weapon against car sales person.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Walking out is also a good way to NOT buy a car.

Sometimes the deal just doesn't make sense and you WILL walk!

You really don't need a weapon, just be reasnoble.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Add-ons that you don't want are not necessary and don't pay the price. There are many Honda dealers that will sell you a LX auto with no added equipment...I was able to do this. Went to 3 local dealers and found my car at one of them at the price I felt good about. So continue your search...you will find your car!

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    All of the windows already have a factory tint that is permanently built into the glass. It's very effective at blocking UV and is more than adequate unless you prefer a really dark interior. I question whether the dealer even added more tint - he might be trying to charge you for the built-in tint that already comes with the car! (If that's the case then you should definitely give up on that dealer). The wheel locks can easily be removed, the trunk liner can very easily be taken out, etc. Keep in mind that all of the add-on accessories are vastly overpriced and are basically a profit center for the dealer. The only things you might want to keep are the ones that are glued on such as door protectors.

The price also sounds pretty high for today's market. Yes, I would probably walk out. Salesmen are trained to play various games in order to get the highest possible price, and you have to play your side as well.
  • calermcalerm Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to all for your great knowledge and advice on how to purchase a car. Just bought 2009 Honda Civic LX 4 door sedan. OTD $16,600, no additional fees. I had an offer of $16,300 at another dealership but the salesman was a jerk so took a little hit on the price...but still glad with the purchase.
    Thanks for the replies!

When I was there, I just walked out because he refused to go any lower on the price. Then he said he had a new car coming in with no add-ons, but that the lowest he could go was $18200 OTD. I said, "No thanks," and left. I think I will drive out to a couple other dealerships to see what they have to say/offer. I'm hoping I find one that doesn't do the pre-installed add-ons on all their cars, as that stuff seems generally worthless to me, personally.
  • magicarpetmagicarpet Member Posts: 2
    Does the HOnda Civic LX come standard with tinted windows? I did not know that.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Hey there,

Save yourself the hassle of driving to different dealers and trying to find one with no add-ons, etc. The best thing you can do is request a quote a via email from EVERY Honda dealer within a reasonable distance from you! Make it clear that you will only accept a car with factory standard features and NOTHING MORE! Be specific and make it clear that you KNOW what you want!

I've used this tactic for my last two purchases and have done the same for a few of my close friends. Each time, at least one dealer came thru with a deal at least slightly lower than all the others. I responded to express my interest and reiterated that if it wasn't exactly what I had specified in my quote request, I would walk out without a moment's pause! It worked every time!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • middleclassmiddleclass Member Posts: 7
    Received a otd price of 21,540 for 09 si sedan. This was including sales tax all dmv fees and dealer fees. Has anybody on this forum had any experience with pricing a si sedan? Good deal or keep looking. .
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I have an '08 LX. The windows are not tinted. I had that done the first week to the rear window and the rear side windows. The sun beats in the front window on my car, reminding me it is just a bare-bones vehicle, albeit a little dandy.
    The windshield is kinda big, too, which really intensifies the exposure.
    Some of my past vehicles had far superior solar protection or whatever you call it... Real obvious (to me, at least) difference.
    Maybe EX windows are tinted?
  • dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    I have an '08 LX and all of the windows have a light green "Solargreen" tint that is built right into the glass. I've tested it, and it blocks a lot of UV, although it's hardly dark at all. Perhaps our definition of the word "tint" differs.
  • midway54midway54 Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market to lease a 2009 Civic LX coupe auto with just 1st mos due at signing.. At 3 yr and 12k miles per year..I t see,s Honda has 1000 incentive on car to dealer. I am looking to pay in 225-230 range with tax per mo..Does this deal seem reasonable??I will wait til this weekend which approaches the end of their quarter..Has anybody out there leased similar car?? Thanks for any feedback..
  • jukordsjukords Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone,

Anyone has an idea how much tax refund we could get on new 09 civics sedan AT?
    I found out new cars bought between feb and dec 2009 will get tax refund from govt.

:shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    It's not a refund..

The amount of the sales tax will be deductible on your 2009 income tax return.. So, figure a savings on your income tax of 25% of the sales tax paid... next April.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    I agree. That is how I got my '06 LX Civic (auto., sedan) in June of 2006. I paid 17,850 OTD. I had a preapproved loan from my credit union and let the dealers know it. I was willing to pay 18k and got a better deal from the closest dealer. However, I did not let the dealer know my gender (f) or anything about my age. I was to the point and polite in my writing. The dealer looked completely surprised when I showed up to collect my car. I guess he was expecting something else.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I just checked the Forum and saw your reply. Went out and looked. They do say Solargreen. And that's all I have to say about that....
  • bsbmsbsbms Member Posts: 3
    hi..i got a quote for $15,988 including destination + fees by one of the bay area dealers..let me know if this is a good price to buy?
  • bmwvsaabbmwvsaab Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've been looking for either a 2009 honda civic EX manual sedan or a 2009 honda civic hybrid (no navi or leather) and was wondering what a fair OTD price would be for these cars (excluding taxes. I saw a couple of posts referencing that they got the hybrid for ~19K, and in some more rare cases high 18's. The civic EX manual sedan is much less common I feel.....but the price should be around 17.5K? or 17K? Any input is much appreciated.
  • avopravopr Member Posts: 5
    Looking for a 2009 Civic LX as well. Was your quote for AT or Manual? Which bay area dealer are you working with?

Thanks
  • bsbmsbsbms Member Posts: 3
    Quote was for AT..got quote from south bay honda..
  • johnc30johnc30 Member Posts: 1
    After emailing and negotiating over 8 dealers in the Seattle and Portland Area, Burien Honda gave me the best deal.

Honda Civic LX-S (Burien Honda: 15mins south of Seattle)

Sale Price: $17,180
    Tax: $1,683.64
    Lic, Title, Doc: $180.75

Total OTD: $19,044.39

They also quoted me Civic LX

Sale Price: $16,500
    Tax: $1,617
    Lic, Title, Doc: $177.75

Total OTD: $18,294.75

Ask for Internet manager

Did all negotiations online. Told them I just want to sign papers, get the keys, and be on my way. I was out of there in 15mins!
  • civic2civiccivic2civic Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2009 LX coupe manual for $15,370 at Sport Honda in Silver Spring, MD. I live in NJ and the 2.5 hours drive was worth it. Sport Honda's internet manager gave me the above competitive price by email and all their cars do not come with dealer installed options that are forced onto the buyer to purchase. Also, it only took 1 hour at the dealership to take delivery of the car (including all the paperwork for financing). I have nothing but good things to say about Sport Honda.

$14,700 - vehicle
    $670 - destination
    $89 - processing fee

Total $15,459
  • seleneselene Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know where to get a manual for a 2005 Civic? They don't seem to have them in any auto parts stores. Do I have to pay the exhorbitant dealer price for one? Thanks.
    Well, I finally bought a new 2009 Civic LX Automatic Sedan. I had a bad experience at one dealer that I posted about earlier, so I drove out to another. The salesman was very nice, and they only tried to play one game with me. I ended up buying the car for $16,450.99 sales price ($17,700.00 drive out). I didn't do as well as some of the deals I've seen people post here, but I am pleased. This was a factory model with the only add-on being tint. Purchased in Houston, Texas for reference.

Now I just hope I don't wreck it or get it stolen! Ugh, so much money to be driving around! Thanks all for the posts and help. I felt prepared when I went in and knew what I wanted to pay. I went about $200 over my initial offer, but I liked the color and the lack of any other add-ons that I really didn't want.

Thanks again, this thread was most helpful, and helped ease my anxiousness/nervousness about the whole process... though I was still pretty jittery haha.
  • abincomabincom Member Posts: 7
    Ebay has the light weight one for $10.00, and the shop manual for around $85.00.
    Online these folks may be some help:
    http://carservicemanuals.blogspot.com/2008/06/download-honda-civic-vii-2001-2005- .html
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    Finished our civic LX purchase here in western Mass yesterday (end of the month). The 09 LX's seemed like the most agressive deals hovering around $16,500 including destination fees. Tax was extra, doc fee extra (ranged $150 - $300) depending on dealer. We found Lorenz Honda of Greenfield to be the nicest ones to work with in our area, though West Springfield was offering a slightly better deal if you can deal with the usual 'runaround' tactics.

We ended up getting an 06 LX that was a personal lease return with 49K miles for $12,500 instead but only because our budget is tight right now. It was really difficult to find a clean, nice 06 civic here. We looked at more than 20. Many looked used up or were rentals according to carfax. Nothing on craigslist the whole time we were in the market.
  • jcarlosjcarlos Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I just got into a deal to lease a Honda Civic LX 2009 for $199/m $0 down.

The dealer is also charging me $599 bank fee which I can either pay upfront or monthly added to the car monthly payments. They say this fee is charged by Honda Financial. Is this fee true? Is it that amount?

When Honda financial called me to confirm the deal, I asked them about the fee and the agent referred me back to the dealer saying she couldn't discuss it.

I've seen other postings with reference to bank fees but I want to make sure this fee is legal.

If it is, am I better off paying it all upfront or in monthly installments?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.