Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ellusionz21ellusionz21 Member Posts: 59
    I don't think there will be any more 2009's coming out as they are waiting for 2010's. I know in my area there was barely a handful of the coupes to pick from and most wanted about 19k OTD (found one nearby and got it for 18.7k OTD). Tho it sounded like they really wanted to get rid of the sedans and still had a bunch.
  • tudiutudiu Member Posts: 27
    All,
    I am in market for a Civic LX-S 4drs Sedan Local dealers have no 09 left. They quoted me the 2010 LX-S $18,617 + Tax + Plate ect.. Invoice is $18,216 included destination.

Is This a good deal?
    I did not anwer the saleman yet.
  • soupandcheesesoupandcheese Member Posts: 2
    I see, could you tell me what state your are living and what honda dealarship that was from that needed to get rid of the sedans?
  • ellusionz21ellusionz21 Member Posts: 59
    Orlando, FL area... I called all the dealerships within an hour drive of me but didn't keep a list of which ones had the sedans sorry, was interested in the coupes. The one I purchased mine at, Coggin Honda of Orlando, quoted me at 18k OTD for the sedan but when I said I was looking for a coupe (they had one left) they jumped to 18.5k. But if you check the dealership websites most of them are updated enough to show what their inventory is.
  • jyk1jyk1 Member Posts: 1
    came with a dealer package (splash guards, pin stripe, and wheel locks) that I didn't want.

17740.76 cash sales price (car, 'electronic title transmission fee,' dealer processing charge, silly dealer package)
    1245.25 tire recycling, titling and registration fees (Maryland tax rates )

18986.01 OTD on 08/01/09

I got quotes over email from 5 dealers, bounced those quotes among the dealers for a few weeks, and then went to the best 2 dealers in person. the last place had a price-match guarentee.

some dealerships made me really sad though. cars are a big, expensive, important, often necessary purchase. to have to haggle aggressively with salespeople (knowing they're just trying to make a living too) is a pretty dreadful.

does anyone recommend the extra 'options' some dealers offer? i was skeptical of the undercoat, clear coat, and extra security options they offered me after i bought the car. :)
  • civicguy2010civicguy2010 Member Posts: 1
    Pohonka in Frediericksburg, VA

$20,971 OTD including 8 yr/120K bumper to bumper warranty

Otherwise would have been $19,644 OTD without the warranty
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    My wife bought "used" 2009 Civic EX-L for $18,000 with 8500 miles from local Toyota dealer last month. Originally they wanted $ 21,000.
    The previous owner traded it in for a new Prius. Later I have contacted the previous owner (since he left his address in the glove box) and he told me he got $ 16,000 for it as a trade in and "decided to lose some money".
    Had I known that I would have gone lower than $ 18,000. But I feel that $ 3,000 paid less than what the dealer wanted was a good bargain.
    I had to replace a dash board because the previous owner glued his compass or GPS with super-glue and then ripped it off leaving a round hole. Bought the dash board on the internet and replaced it myself in less than 20 minutes. Car is like new again. She gets average 33 MPG and is very happy with that car so far.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    We make sure everything get's pulled out of glove boxes.

It's a privacy violation too and that store could have gotten in trouble.

I am surprised you would ask him what they gave him for it.
    Update,
    I got the dealer to come down to $18317 + 7% tax= 167 fees/plate.
    OTD= $19766, Finance 100%. Took 1.9% for 36 months. Saving in interest $907 vs 2.9% 60months.

Is it a good deal?
    It's a good deal! In average you shouldn't be paying more than 200 to 400 over the invoice.Generally, most dealers don't make money on new cars. The backbone of any dealership is the used car lot - that is where most money is made.
    "I am surprised you would ask him what they gave him for it."

Hmmm - why are you surprised?

As a matter of fact, there was a service contract that could have been transferred to the new owner and that required former owner to sign a specific form off.
    How else would one get the previous owner sign off that contract unless name and address is known? The transfer form indicated both names and addresses... no surprise there! The selling dealer did not want to handle the transfer and disclosed the required information - no privacy violation here, in my opinion...
  • justin082005justin082005 Member Posts: 5
    So, what would one recommend now for the 2009 LX auto? I read through a bunch on pages but being that the 2010s are out and the one dealership I am looking at has 38 of them listed online in their inventory, and they seem like they want to get them out of there just trying to come up with a decent OTD price (DC area)
    You have to do the homework. There are too many variables (color, installed options, location/region, etc). to say what to pay for a car. If there are still 2009 left and 2010s are out there already, you could get a good deal on 2009. Dealers don't want cars for too long sitting on their lots as it costs them money. End of the month or end of the year are good times to shop for a new car. Dealers and sales persons try to get sales on the board.

If you are trading in your used car, pay attention to the price of the new car. Don't bring it up before you have agreed on the price of the new car. Too many people are attached to their old cars and the value thereof.

You have to make the trip to the dealer at least twice. Once you decide on the car that you want, you have to see, what options are installed. Get the VIN number and do your homework. Look at the sticker to see, what options are installed.

With used ones, you can decipher the VIN number, if the dealer doesn't know what option were originally installed. Also, get the CarFax to see if the car is clean - some dealers will provide CarFax for you free of charge. Generally speaking, the dealer pays appx $ 2000 below wholesale (Blue Book or NADA) to the person who trades the car in. So you know what room you have for negotiation. You can look in BlueBook or NADA at any bookstore, without even purchasing one. Some dealers let you look in those books - that is a good sign of an honest dealership.

Then, using Edmunds charts, see what the dealer's invoice is and shoot for $ 200 over invoice. Also see "what others are paying" on the same website.
    Where do you get some of this stuff?

A VIN number won't tell you what options may have been installed.

" Generally speaking the dealer pays 2000.00 below wholesale to the person who trades the car in"

??????
    Well, I don't know where you sell Hondas but I have been in the car biz since 1969, first in NYC then in So. California (I still have my wholesale and salesman's certificate from there). Started at Vasek Polak Porsche/BMW/Audi/VW/Saab back in 1969 in Hermosa Beach, Calif. So where do I get this stuff? From my experience all these years, my friend... where do you get yours?

VIN tells you when and where the car was made or assembled, what type of body it is and some other data, depending on manufacturer - true, not all the options, but some, depending on manufacturer. You can also track down who and where the car was originally sold, if you know how.

Do I feel some resentments from you that I am giving away some trade secrets here? A well informed buyer is a goal here. Don't see anything wrong with that!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Agreed. A VIN will indeed tell you most everything about a car; however, it covers mainly the mechanics of the vehicle. For GM vehicles, there's a sticker in the glove box with a list of codes on it. Those codes tell all the options that came w/ the car from the exterior color to the type sound system to whether or not it has fold down rear seats.

But any dealership of that make of car can punch in the VIN code and pull up everything about that car.
    taylOrd - correct! But, sometimes, if Honda dealer is selling say used Toyota and they do not have the Toyota franchise, they may not get that info that readily.
    And, as you've said, each manufacturer has it's own way and place where to display the options - unfortunately that is not an universal rule.
    I'm in Washington State now.

Moved here from Rancho Palos Verdes. Grew up in San Pedro.

Met Vasek a couple of times when I was in the tool business.

Used to body surf at Hermosa. Ave I.

Managed the Sears Auto Center at Del Amo.

You said the VIN number tells you which options the car has and this isn't true with dealer installed options.

No resentment. Not at all but when you said a dealer takes in trades for 2000.00 below wholesale I have to question you.

With Hondas it isn't uncommon for us to pay well above wholesale book to get a nice one.

People tend to believe what they read in these forums!
    Aaah...my neighbor, I suspect!

I lived in Rolling Hills and knew Vasek Polak personally (I looked at his house from my house for many years)...He died while his private ambulance plane was descending at Calgary, AB - Canada.The U.S. doctors would not let him recover in Stuttgart hospital doubting German medical care. So much for this country's medical health care! But that is another story.

And yes, $ 2000 below wholesale is/was and should be any dealer's goal! Case and point here, the previous owner of the Honda that I bought from Toyota dealer confirmed that he got 2000 below wholesale.

VIN - yes, you are right - the dealer's options are not there. But, these days (depending on market) there are not that many options that dealer would install. High demand cars just move "as is" as they arrive from the port, distributor or similar. Pin striping, under coating or floor mats - maybe - those will not show on VIN.
    Wow, you lived "behind the gates". I'm impressed. We used to sneak in there when we were kids. Same with Portugese Bend.

I'm not surprised Vasek has passed on. He would have been pretty old. Even all of his money can't hold back the years.

With Hondas, I wish we could buy them for 2000.00 back of book. We pay over book all of the time for nice cars.
    Oh well, that was the tubulent past.... I have helped him to liquidate his car collection (he donated most cars to various museums in Europe) while he was still alive.

I wish I could live, where you live now...I have to sweat here in FL now...

But back to the topic, I understand Hondas sell perhaps under different conditions, being as popular as they are. Also, region/location in the U.S. plays a big role in pricing structures not to mention those fokls who live in small cities where they only have one of the brand franchise in town with no competition.

But I hope you agree on the general rules when buying a new car that I have outlined earlier in this thread.
    " But I hope you agree in the general rules that I have outlined earlier in this thread"

Well, kinda. It's always the prevailing market that determines sale prices and trade values. And these markets can change quickly.

I wish we could buy nice Hondas for 2000.00 back of book.

We compete with other dealers at the Honda auctions and in order to be the successful bidder we usually have to pay OVER book for the nicer cars.

Then we pay something like 700.00 to get them trucked here. Then we pay to have them detailed, inspected, reconditioned etc.

By the time it's done, we can be "in them" well over book but that's OK (usually) because the market supports that.

Enjoyed the nostaglic trip. I remember that store on PCH quite well.
    You are absolutely right - the pricing is determined by region or what the market will allow. Edmunds charts are a good guidance in this respect.
    But at this day and age when internet sales are slowly taking over the traditional car selling techniques one can get a good deal on any new or used car all over the country, not just at the local dealership. Some dealers will also ship the car of your choice for a nominal fee straight to your house.
    The local stores will become more and more just for servicing and/or repairs.
    I agree with Jogousa, most car buyers will do research online before they even send a quote request. Why wasting times and hastle dealing with Salemen. Most of them will trick you, either on your trade-ins or on your OTD price. Some dealerships over charged buyers on fees/ TTL. Better do homework in details before go to the dealership. I have this saleman charged me $100 more for advertisement. Edmunds never said that........lol
  • zachazacha Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for either a 2009 LX or LX-S sedan in NYC. I plan on using Honda 2.9% APR factory financing which I clearly stated to all dealers I contacted.

First I called Potamkin Honda in Manhattan. They quoted me $18,901 for a regular 2009 LX 4 door auto OTD. I was hoping for $18k but dealer wouldn't budge. Next was Bronx Honda. After I mentioned that I was getting quotes from other dealers, they quoted $16,700 OTD -- their "blowout special" when I inquired further. Yeah right. I told them thank you and good bye.

I submitted quotes to Hillside, Paragon and Bay Shore Honda from Honda's site. Of the 3, only Bay Shore actually quoted me a price. They listed an MSRP including destination right next to their quote of $16.4k -- upon further inquiry their quote didn't include destination. I also asked for an OTD price (LX) but dealer wouldn't tell me unless I visited the showroom. Paragon and Hillside called but would not give me a price -- told me I had to come in. What use is the price quote from Honda's site if it's dealers don't actually give out price quotes?

Finally, I called DCH Paramus Honda b/c member nap84 got a great deal on a 2009 Civic LX-S. I asked for Yajaira but she was no longer working there. I told the salesman that I'm a NYC resident (Paramus is in NJ) and what the best OTD price he could give me with the 2.9% apr on an LX-S. He said $18,310 which is below nap84's price of $18,403. I asked him to guarantee that price and reiterated that I was financing with Honda. Big mistake b/c he came back with $19,000 otd. I countered with $18.7k final offer. He agreed but said it was contingent on Honda financing approval. Sounds strange that price would go up even further if not approved for the special apr, but, oh well.

I called back later to verify colors in stock and tell dealer I was pre-approved by Honda. Dealer now says he can't do $18.7k but can do $19k OTD. Says it's only $5 a month more over 60 months and would not budge. $18.7k is already $200 over my maximum price for a LX-S, so there's no way I'm doing $19k.

This is absolutely the worst car buying experience I ever had. Unemployment is over 10% in the NYC area but these dealers act like the local economy is booming. I guess I will not be buying a new Honda Civic this year.
    With all due respect, some people make it a harder process than it needs to be.

They will pit dealer against dealer and go crazy trying to save a few dollars. Yes,I know it's money but it's just amazing how far some people will go, how many miles they will drive and how much time they will invest just for a few, and I mean a few dollars.

Yes, unemployment may be high but this doesn't mean a store will be willing to lose money just to sell a car.

And if a store gives you the 2.9%, they lose the incentive.

Seriously, I would suggest that you ask family, friends or someone you meet with a new Honda in a parking lot for a referral. You probably won't pay any more and you'll have a better experience.

It really doesn't have to be that hard. It can actually be stress-free and fun.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Didn't realize that there was some increase in price since I bought my '06 LX. But that's to be expected. Still very happy with the car and at about 24k miles, all is well. Besides oil changes & tire rotations, it's like the ever ready bunny...it just keeps on going & going...& going...with no drama. This is exactly why I bought my Civic, and it's a hoot to drive also. Seriously looked to swap it out for a S40 around July 4th, but after testing a 1/2 dozen S40's, just wasn't worth extra $ to do it. The main motivation was the superlative seats that Volvo's are known for, but the S40 seats weren't that great actually. Guess the more expensive models got the great seats and since the seats were no better than my Civic's and my wife's unhappiness with this idea, I kept what I got...and I'm so happy I did.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• genocistgenocist Member Posts: 2
    I got an email from them, that they had 09 Accord and Civic's left
    And to make an offer and they'll accept.

I made an offer of 17,000 OTD price for a CIVIC lx-s
    He said you have a deal.

Going to go check it out, see what Financing i get
    I dont' think i'll get 2.9 but anything under 5% is good.
  • tasaytasay Member Posts: 36
    please keep an update for me. I would like to know about it also.

Thanks.
  • bestbuyerbestbuyer Member Posts: 1
    Sorry but you got ripped off sir.

Why? Because I saw the same model 2010 LX-S and the sticker price was lower then what you paid. Second, I offered cash which gets me less discounts usually. Third, his last offer before i said left was in the low 17000's.

I dont understand how you used edmunds and still over paid by that much.

I was in New Jersey, not sure where you are from. But NJ/NY regional area tend to be higher costing too.
    Nobody got "ripped off" so you don't have to rain on anyone's parade.

Paying cash get's you nothing. Dealers don't care if you pay cash or finance.
  • sjsuper76sjsuper76 Member Posts: 6
    Just started shopping around for a new Civic LX. So far two OTD offers came back from some dealers in southern Arizona. Haven't been to the actual locations yet to check out the cars. Dealer B actually provided a breakdown of the quote. What is a doc fee? Obviously Dealer A is high, but how does Dealer B's quote compare with the average?

Dealer A: (Dobbs Tucson)
    For a 2009 Civic: "MSRP is $18,965.00 but at clearance the total including window tinting and splash guards and one time fees is $19,323.80"
    Also a 2010 Civic LX w/same equipment for $20, 610.54

Dealer B: (Chapman, Tucson)
    2010 Honda Civic LX sedan:
    selling price - 17,790.00
    tax - 1440.99
    regitration - 329.50
    doc fee - 399.00
    Total OTD - 19,959.49.
    You have to get the list of all factory and dealer's installed options. Then you can compare apples with apples. Edmunds charts are there to help you.
    Sometimes colors also play a role as some colors are more desirable than others, depending on region where you live.
    Tinting should not me more than $ 100 or 150. Splash guards might be part of the package that the car has on from the factory - same as trunk liners or upgraded floor mats.
    From your description it's not clear what is on the car. Doc fee (title processing) as well as destination charges (inland freight from point of import or distribution center) you have to live with and pay.
  • ais2003ais2003 Member Posts: 11
    I bought a 2009 Honda Civic LX sedan for $17,300 at 2.9% for 60 months. Car rocks!
  • gatorgradgatorgrad Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I'm looking to buy a 2010 Civic EX-L in tango red. I am a USAA member in Virginia, and the lowest price I have been quoted OTD is $21,700. It looks like a good deal; the base price before TTL is $20,603. The $21k is a bit of a shock for a smaller sedan. However, I intend to run this sucker into the ground over the next 10-12 years, so I'm getting what I want :).

The base price before TTL is $20,603. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
    What that 17,300 out the door? Or before TTL?

sounds like a great deal....
  • e2002e2002 Member Posts: 1
    For 2009 new Civic LX with auto transmission, Carsdirect.com quotes me $17,739. This is for Los Angeles area, and not the OTD price.

By "quote" I mean I entered all the data online, and their website spits out the $17,739 number. However, Carsdirect wants me to take the next step to talk to one of their sales reps who will also give me a "quote".

Will keep you guys updated. If anyone had good/bad experiences with carsdirect, would love to hear it. Thanks!
  • ivory1234ivory1234 Member Posts: 3
    Scrolling through five pages of posts on this forum helps me "get my feet wet," and reading about Southern California and Palos Verdes brings back surfing memories and listening to the "All Stars" at The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach.

To the east, a local Honda salesman seemed to be offering a "Buckeye bargain," here in Toledo, asking $18,300 for a 2010 LX-Auto with no extra accessories.

Would a "final offer" of $17,000 be out of the question? :confuse:
    Well, The Lighthouse isn't there any more, I've heard that it burned out a few years back....but Hermosa Pier is busy at night as always although somehow I did not fit in the crowd (age-wise) when I was there in August this year visiting my 2 sons.
    I could not believe when I saw all the new development (shopping mall) in Manhattan Beach but the time seemed to stop in El Segundo - it remained as charming as it has always been - an unbelievable enclave South of the LAX.
    What has changed a lot is the amount traffic on PCH both ways. I don't remember seeing it so crowded way back then.

$ 17,000 would be a nice try but I don't think they will go for it. You have not indicated if it's a 2 door or 4 door.
    I would go for 2 door $ 17,500 - 17,700 OTD and for 4 door $ 17,800 - 18,000 OTD.
    That should include destination charges. They will slap you with "dealer's prep" another $ 200 to 300 when you reach their F&I dept. along with tax and license fees so you will end up paying around $ 19,000 - anyway you look at it. But it's a fine car although the styling and drive is a bit boring.
    You mentioned destination charges, which a bystander might think are related to the distance involved. The destination charges quoted at edmonds for the 2009 4-dr. LX are $710 and, according to mapquest.com,, there are c. 100 miles between Marysville, Ohio and my dealer. The charges sound high, but who knows?
  • humanpridehumanpride Member Posts: 3
    Bought a civic Lx-s for 18000 OTD in Maryland
    6% tax.
  • rocky718rocky718 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I shopping around for Civic LX-S and EX and wondering what kind of deal you guys got recently. I got quote from one of the dealer for 09 EX and it was $20,600 OTD, which I found little high. Is $18,575 OTD good price for 09 LX-S?
    Thanks..
    Just got an offer for a 2009 Civic Sedan LX Automatic for $17,200 OTD from Lee's Summit in Missouri.

Sounds good, but I will not be able to purchase until I get back to the States in December.
    reading through posts here makes me a bit confused. I was under the impression that OTD means the total cost. does OTD not include Tax, title, license, etc?
    My uneducated guess is that it includes: (1) the amount the dealer wants for the car, (2) taxes, (3) title processing, and (4) registration, whatever this is.
  • justin082005justin082005 Member Posts: 5
    It is suppose to include it all...Out The Door
  • cvillaviraycvillaviray Member Posts: 1
    Don't put Toyota in the same boat as Honda. Get your facts correct. NO Toyota dealership has a "Mark Up Sticker" in 5 states. The Whole region for Toyota has no 2nd sticker. So for most of the post about MSRP. If you can't find a deal in at Honda or in Bremerton then Drive your but to Seattle or Tacoma. Toyota has no "Market Value Adjustment" (Same Owner) as the Honda store. I agree with 1jacob about other West Hills stores not doing 2nd stickers. But MSRP is on the window. LOOK WITH YOUR EYES NOT WITH YOUR MOUTH. ;)
  • sri8sri8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I recently bought 2009 honda civic ex 4 door in Tampa FL ,
    the otd I paid is $19,800 with 3.9@60 months financing.
    It include splash gaurds and leather wheel steering cover .

Don't know whether I got a good deal or not ?
  • pcvsmacpcvsmac Member Posts: 7
    In the market for a Honda Civic LX Sedan Auto here in Socal Los Angeles also.
    Back in July before the cash for clunker, I got an offer OTD for $17,800, but I did not pull the trigger.
    After the program, they jack up the price quite a bit. 2009 is pretty much out of sight and 2010 is around $18000 + taxes and fees.
    Anyone find a good offer recently? Please share more detail and I'd like jump on it.
  • thebigdaddyethebigdaddye Member Posts: 6
    here is the deal i just got a week ago. i ended up leasing because i felt it was a better fit for me and i don't drive more then 12k a year. 2010 civic LX-S sedan. priced at $17,122. i was going to purchase but decided to lease. 36 months @ $ 223 a month with $443.86 due upfront/at signing. i could have purchased for $18,706 otd. most places wanted $18,200 before taxes/title ect.. this is in dayton, ohio. i got 5 internet price quotes from five different dealers and only one came close to the dealer i got mine from and that was a 2009 model. my salesman stated he had a guy come from colorado to purchase from them about a week before me. i guess the guy had family in the dayton area and he flew in and stayed with them and then drove his new car back to colorado. if anyone would like the dealer info just ask. i love my civic