Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hooopshooops Member Posts: 64
    Paul Miller Honda.
  • gammagatorgammagator Member Posts: 8
    Just bought a new Civic and wanted to share with everyone to help in your purchase. Bought for wife a 2010 Civic Sedan EX-L with rear wing spoiler, moon roof visor, mud guards, trunk tray, pin striping. We transferred a tag and our OTD price (all expenses included taxes, fees, etc.) was $23,750 and 2.9% for 60 month financing thru Honda.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I got a quote for
    2010 Civic LX sedan Auto for $17500 including destination charge.
    This is in SF Bay Area. Is this a good eal?
    Thanks.
  • uhhudugauhhuduga Member Posts: 7
    A big hello to all the members.This is my first post and I hope to get all the assistance and tips.

I plan to buy a honda civic sedan LX 2009.As I am a recent graduate I am going for the 2009 model as I have a better chance of getting a good deal towards the end of the year.

I have received this quote from a dealer in houston
    2009 civic LX sedan - $16,761.00
    Tax - $1047.56
    Inventory Tax - $42.04
    Document Fee - $50.00
    Title Fee - $33.00
    License Fee - $72.30
    Inspection Fee - $23.75

Total Drive out - $18,029.00

Is this a fair deal ? If not , how much more can I bargain for?
    And is the dealer omitting any other price ?I know it is the OTD price , just wanted to confirm.

Thanks a lot.
  • wegotthewhip1wegotthewhip1 Member Posts: 5
    Uhhuduga,

What dealership are you getting that OTD price from. I have tried a few around Houston and best I've gotten is $18,600 OTD. Thanks
  • justin082005justin082005 Member Posts: 5
    Im not in Houston but I would say you can get that lower. I am looking at the same car in DC area and got OTD offers of 17.8k and 17.9K and I am sure I could work them lower
    wegotthewhip1,

I got this internet quote from russell and smith honda.
    Did you get a different quote from the same dealer?
    yeah justin, I was hoping to settle somewhere around 17.5 k .
    But taxes vary across states right ?How much is the difference between texas and DC area ? That may impact the OTD price?
    Dear All,

I am getting quotes on a 2009 LX which matches the quote for a 2010 VP .
    Has there been any significant modifications made by honda from 2009 to the 2010 model ?
    I did a comparison of the 2 on the honda site .This is what I found.

a) The 2010 VP has a MacPherson Strut Front Suspension for the front and a Multi-Link Rear Suspension for the rear as compared to the independent suspension for the 2009 LX.

b)Stereo Anti-Theft is a standard on the 2010 VP and not available on the 2009 LX

c)Armrest Storage is Not Listed on the 2010 VP and a std on the 2009 LX

d) The DX-VP weighs less

I do not see any major enhancements on the LX when compared to the DX-VP and also the DX-VP would be a 2010 model.

Any inputs and suggestions you guys would like to share on which one I should be going for?Also , do mention anything that I may have missed.

Thanks.
  • pcvsmacpcvsmac Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

Anyone bought a Civic LX recently in Los Angeles area? Please share. Thank you.
  • justin082005justin082005 Member Posts: 5
    The tax is 6% here. Google showed 6.25% for Texas but I am not sure if that is up-to-date.

There is no reason not to get them into mid 17s if not lower. A bunch still have 09s on the lot at the end of this month and cars aren't moving right now
    uhhuduga,

I have emailed almost every Honda Dealer in the Houston area over the past 6 months. I did notice however the cheapest prices for civic's were back in April and May of this year. I myself would like an EX Sedan Model, but the cheapest I have been quoted was $20,200 OTD (John Eagle, Goodson). I like to go by the OTD end price because that is the FINAL price of the car, ALL Dealers in Houston add some sort of accessories (to the EX Model anyways) which always adds to there E-price Quote.
    Uhhuduga,

How soon before you think you will purchase a new Civic? My plan was to do it in the next day or two( because its the end of the month). Maybe if we went together to the same dealer (salesman) we could get a better discount?
    wegotthewhip1,

well,it certainly would not be in the next 2 days.Initially I was looking at the end of the year , but I think I'll buy one sooner than that.I have just started getting quotes and negotiating with them , so it may take a couple of weeks or a month.
    Just got an OTD price for a 2009 Honda Civic Lx from Russell and Smith Honda in Houston...$19,200!! What??
  • max09max09 Member Posts: 4
    Where are you from? I am from Hamilton, Ontario Canada. I just bought a 2009 Honda Civic EX-L sedan with touch up pen, rear splash guards, moonroof visor, hood deflector, all weather floor mats, & $2,500 promotional rebate & all the taxes and fees for the price of $25,900 for cash at a Honda dealer.

I think with the exchange rate of USD to CAD currency we both got very similar deals! Good job at getting a 2010 for that price!!!!

I like hearing consumers getting a real great price & finally dealerships giving good deals to consumers!
    Hi All,

Anyone bought a Civic LX here in SoCal? Do you mind to share the price and dealership?

Thank you
    I am in Florida and was pretty pleased with the OTD price.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Where in Florida? What did you pay for which model?
  • vagalvagal Member Posts: 1
    FYI:

I bought a honda civic sedan ex w/nav for $22,300 OTD in VA.
  • covinacovina Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2010 Civic LX for 19,200 OTD from spreen honda. The price includes a Honda security alarm for $628 and even got a financing at 1.99% for 36 months.

My actual price is 16,591 + Doc fee($55) + Taxes and licence + Honda Security Alarm($628).

I am not sure whether i paid more or got a good deal.

Thanks,
    Hi Covina,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, they are the one with lower internet price. Did you get your price quote online first since I am getting $17901 from them now? I am still trying to get something going here.
  • cheapreadingcheapreading Member Posts: 32
    Just purchased a 2010 EX-L Auto w/o Nav today. Went through a competitive bidding process throughout DE / MD / PA. Got "Excellent" Kelly Blue Book trade in value for a "Good" condition Chevrolet Equinox. Paid $20,649 includng doc fee (which is also dealer profit - don't let them tell you otherwise) so about $136 below invoice. Walked away from the $750 '09 rebate, but there are very few '09's left. Extremely happy; great service and only a single dealership visit. Highly recommend competitive bidding process.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You are very lucky you got book for that Equinox.

Maybe they sell better in your neck of the woods?

If you want to call doc. fees "profit" you might want to consider the cost of the internal people and paperwork it takes to process your deal. It is far from pure profit.

Enjoy your new Civic!
  • cheapreadingcheapreading Member Posts: 32
    Fair point re: doc fee. I should have said it's margin. Margin - costs = profit (or loss)
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    There is such a thing as gross profit and net profit that a lot of people don`t even think about when buying, what happend to the days when operating costs were taken out of the gross profit made from the sale of the vehicle, these so-called document fees is just another way of adding to the gross profit which in return adds to the net profit. It is no different than carpet places that used to include removing the old carpet in their gross profit, now they charge you for removing the old carpet which increases their gross profit and in return increases their net profit. Is is a ploy that many buisnesses use now days to increase their profit base at the expense of the customer, It is commonly referred to as GREED!!!!!
    I don't know why profit is a dirty word for some people who seem to think a business can survive without making money.

Big difference between trying to stay in business, pay overhead and expenses, pay taxes and still have a bottom line. Not GREED as you say.

Let's use the carpet stores as an example...

Today competition comes from everywhere. The Home Depots etc that were never in that business are today along with everyone else.

Disposal fees have gone through the roof. They can simply add the price of dispoals and removal to the price of their carpet or they can show it as a seperate charge. They never "included" anything. They just buried it in the per yard price of the installed carpet.

On the other hand, I've heard of doc fees as high as 800.00 and that is nuts.

There is no free lunch!
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    I don`t have a problem with businesses making a (fair) profit, that is what it is all about but I do have a problem with businesses grouping together in COLLUSION or PRICE FIXING, there used to be laws against it, now it is just like everything else, the politicians in charge don`t care or they are in on the take with the companies. In todays world of modern technology the paper work involved at a dealership for the sale of a car can be done in a matter of minutes, $50.00 .would be a reasonable cost not the ridiculous amounts charged by some as you stated, and there are still a few carpet companies that don`t charge extra for removeing the old carpet and disposal, they feel that the profit they made on the sale of the carpet was sufficient, IMAGINE THAT. I`ve read your posts for some time now, you seem like a pretty intelligent person, don`t let me down now.
    Lucky 15: "ploy" ? You've got to be kidding, right? Have you ever (or do you) own your business? Apparently not....
    So, anybody who wants to run a profitable business is greedy?

Many dealerships have designated person (who may not be a full time employee) who processes DMV paperwork, comes twice or 3-times a week. One would assume that this person is paid a decent wage... how do you cover that?

Larger dealers may have full time person designated for such tasks but contrary to common belief it's not just clicking on computer keyboard.

It's a no brainer that dealers typically don't make so much on new car sales as the used car lot is a back bone of any dealership.

As far as the carpet, I rather pay for removing and dumping it than have to dispose it myself not to mention that disposal of certain items may be restricted to certain sites only.

200 to 300 dollars for "docs fee" seems to be reasonable as long as it is disclosed early and doesn't come as a surprise when buyer enters F&I office for final signature.
    There are still laws against price fixing.

You are missing my point so let me try to restate it.

The carpet companies that "don't charge" extra for removing and disposing of the old carpet ARE charging you! They simply add it into the price of the carpet!

Nothing is ever "free".

Call the carpet company and get an estimate.

Then tell them that you will pull out all of the old carpet and dispose of it yourself.

Ask them for a revised estimate with you doing this!

Guess what? Since they will save hours of labor and disposal fees, the estimate will be lower. Probably much lower!

IMAGINE THAT!
  • canlfccanlfc Member Posts: 3
    Hi!
    I'm thinking of buying a new 2010 honda civic LX and I got some quotes for dealers. The best quote I got was $17000 (includes destination and documentation fees) . The tax, tag and title will cost around $650 to 700. I think the price is fair. Anyone bought 2010 LX recently?

I'm also thinking of adding fog lights and window tinting. The dealer quote for fog lights is $681, which I think is too overpriced. I checked the honda website and the price of fog lights is only $325. Does anyone know what's the average market price for installing fog lights ?

I'm thinking of counter offer the dealer with $18000 for the total final cost with the accessories and taxes.

Also, does anyone know what is the cost for warranty?

Thank you so much.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,457
    Let's stick to it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jogousa, I bought the 2010 Civic EX-L in Lake City and my OTD price was $23,750. I think some folks have a different meaning of Out The Door based on some of the prices I see on here. This car had moon roof visor, rear wing spoiler, mud guards, trunk tray, and pin striping added. I also got 2.9% financing from Honda. This dealership was nice to deal with and was by far the easiest car buying experience that I ever had. I don't know where you are located by I have also in the past bought a Honda Accord from the dealer in Daytona Beach, when I lived there. They were not bad to deal with either.
    They are doing a zero profit deal if they sell that 2010 for 17,000 and they have no control over sales tax and license fees. You must live in an area with a VERY low sales tax rate. It's 9.8 % here on cars.

Installing fog lights isn't an easy job. There are probably a couple of hours of labor involved and most shops are at 100.00/hr or even more.

I'm no fan of window tinting and it is rarely done in our area so I have no idea. I do know the quality can really vary.
    With regards to window tinting, I think an average price for a good job and a good film in your are would be appx 200 - it's worth to have it done right with lifetime warranty. I have done it many times and do not try to save money on that job!

The best source (in my opinion) is to talk to someone who had it done in your area and is happy about it or go to some high priced brand dealership in your area (Lexus/Mercedes/BMW) talk to their service manager and ask them where they send their cars to have it done. Most dealers farm this out to an independent window tinting company. Word of mouth is the best source!
    It's so dark and gloomy here much of the time (Seattle) that very few people have their windows tinted. Cops hate it and they will pull you over if they think it's too dark so be careful.

Tint really cuts down on night vision and it gets worse with raindrops on the tinted windows.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Have had tint on most of my cars with the lightest tint and it's been great with our heat is in South Florida. No problem with night vision at all, but I always get the lightest tint they have. Even my wife & daughter got the same tint and not a bad thing to say...so it must be easily driveable at night.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I am a huge fan of tinting car windows. Just had our new Civic sedan tinted with top of the line tint and lifetime replacement warranty for under $200. It is so hot and bright in Florida that it helps. I always get tint as dark as the law will allow and have never had a problem with the police or night vision. Tint businesses are liable if they tint darker than law allows. No tint on windows makes me feel like I am in a fish bowl.
    Windows have tint from the factory.

Maybe if I lived in a hot climate I would want tint but not here. If wqe take in a used car with tint we remove it (not easy). They just don't sell with tint. I'm sure in hot parts of the country this isn't the case.

And tint definatly reduces night vision! How can it not?
    I can understand that. Here in the south tinted windows are desirable. I didn't say that tinted windows do not darken vision at night; I just stated that I have never had a problem with it. But it does not create a safety issue with visibility or it would not be permitted and limos most definitely would not be permitted to have near black out tint. The limitations on how dark window tint is allowed is for police safety so they can see inside when approaching a car.
  • middleclassmiddleclass Member Posts: 7
    What was the the total price of the accessories you mention,mud flaps rear spoiler etc? on 2010 EX-L
  • canlfccanlfc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. I want tinting cause here in Oklahoma, the sun can be really hot and bright. I don't really want too dark though.

Well, the dealer got back to me and he couldn't do my $18 000 offer. But he said he can do $18250 (he said i'm really lucky to get this quote). This price will include the car, all fees, taxes, and accessories. Good price?
    Yes - and that is why in California, if you tint windows, the driver's side window has to have a lighter film. There is a specific rule on that in CHiP's manual, based on DMV regulations.
    Different States have different regulations with regards to window tinting.
    Tint removal is fairly simple, if you have it done by professionals (same people, that put it on originally). All you have to do is heat window with hair dryer and then it peels off easily. Then you remove remaining glue residue with cigarette lighter fluid.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Have had it on all my cars including my current Civic. The lightest tint, which I have, does not affect night vision at all no matter what some insist in here...how much plainer can I say this.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Of course it affects night vision. Maybe not much but it does reduce it.

I can't believe you can't accept this!

And a guy like me needs all of the night vision he can get!
    Middleclass, Go to honda.com and you can "build" whichever honda you want. It will show you all available options and prices of each option. It will also allow you to see what they look like on your vehicle as you "build" it. The accessories are the hardest part to figure price on when figuring a negotiating price with a dealer. This is what I used. I took the final price of the vehicle, added in tax, and got the title fees, etc. from my county tax office. After totaling these numbers, I then had a base price from which to negotiate. It's much easier this way than to try and negotiate down from sticker. I also compared the price from that site with edmunds price and they were both in agreement. The only issue left is finding a dealer willing to give a good price.
    Florida has a similar tint law. The rear windows can be fairly dark but the two front windows must be a lighter tint. Also, the windshield can only have an "eyebrow" of tint. This allows enough light through the vehicle that a police officer can see in the automobile for safety.
    Correction (with due respect).
    If you are out of State where tinting is allowed, cops cannot do anything to you - I refer to certain law suit that was brought up by an Arizona driver (in that jurisdiction you can have driver's side dark tinted as well), who was pulled over by Calif. CHP (for driver's side window being too dark) , went to Court and his attorney successfully argued that case. The judge threw that case out because Calif CHP (similar to WA State Trooper) has no jurisdiction over vehicles from out of State that conform to those State's laws.
    If you are really interested, any attorney can research that issue and confirm the above.
    This was also confirmed to me by a CHP officer in L.A. (my neighbor).
    I'm from California and I remember the CHP guys quite well.

I didn't say they couldn't do anything to you, I just said that cops hate tint and it wouldn't get you started out on the right foot with them.

If I were a cop I suppose I would hate it too when I couldn't see into a suspecious car.
    You've got that right!