Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    I am sorry to say that there are more dealers out there all over the country (not just in Calif) like the one that you have visited.

In my neck of the woods, and typically in small towns, where there is just one dealer without any competition, you find similar situations. Most Honda dealers (not all though) know that they have a superior product so, if you get a run around, just ignore it, walk away and deal with another dealer. Sometimes it's worth to drive a few miles and find someone else.

In future, when you negotiate a price over the internet ALWAYS get a VIN number of the vehicle that you are trying to buy. Most large dealers have VIN number listed on their websites along with all options that are installed.

There are publications out there that show you the volume of sales of each particular dealer. From my experience, if you buy from a large volume dealer, you always get a better price. Few years back, when I was in a market for Chevy Suburban, I found the top 2 US dealer, one in Houston and one in Phoenix.
    I negotiated the price from both (over the internet) bought a one way airline ticket to Phoenix (Mesa) and bought the absolutely bottom priced Suburban for a price that nobody could match in So. California.
  • asitmehtaasitmehta Member Posts: 19
    Hello I'm in the market for a new Civic Sdn LX auto. I'm in the New York metro area and the best price I've gotten is $16,500. OTD is around $17,900. Anyone seeing anything better? The end of the month is coming and I need this car ASAP. Thank you.
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    Was $18,800 a final, out of the door price with taxes and everything?
    Hi when you do but that Civic or any other car for that matter, can you please post in here final, OTD price, the dealer, % rate of the loan and overall experience.
  • asitmehtaasitmehta Member Posts: 19
    I went to Yonkers Honda and bought the car at$16,500. All negotiations were done over the phone and email. Tax was at 8.375% and the total OTD was $17,881.88. I truly enjoyed working with these guys, everything was processed within 30 minutes.
  • lilvylilvy Member Posts: 5
    yes OTD in cash
  • crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    All the dealers in the southern states have this offer going on. I checked with many in my city and all around cities, states and have their emails confirming that you get $1800 loyalty discount from honda if you currenlty own another honda in your name. must show proof in terms of your name on the vehicle registration + the insurance also should have your name.. (not sure why they ask for the insurance docs to have your name. Doesn't makes an iota of sense.. possibly just trying to exclude people from getting the deal).
  • woozerwoozer Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a 2010 Honda DX VP for $15,224. Was this a good deal?
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Member Posts: 19
    hi guys

I live in NJ... (hate it) what's the price are you guys getting from dealers? they are listing them at $21-$22K... you guys think I can get them for like $18K? then I have to add the tax and crap... thanks!
    I have an offer for Mazda 3 iTouring, MSRP + destination is $19,495. I was offered that car for $17,500 OTD, with taxes and everything else included. iTouring is equipped about the same as Civic LX, which by the way is older and is about to be replaced in September of 2010. I would say 18K OTD is OK if MSRP is 21K-22K.
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Member Posts: 19
    ummm... 18 OTD would be good. I guess I have to knock it down to like $17000
    17,000 OTD for 2010 EX-L - good luck with that!
    Personally, I don't think you will be able to reach that goal!
  • cresolecresole Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2010 LE, cash, negotiated on line for a long time, I think this is a good price.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I take it you meant for the LX model and not the LE model? I'm guessing that means it was something like $16,499 plus tax title and license?
  • amtexamtex Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Civic 2010 LX-S for 19,300 OTD (with Honda financing) on December 1, 2009. I checked several auto sites like Edmunds.com, truecar.com for the price and this one was the best offer. This is in FW/Dallas area.

I was also considering VW Jetta SE 2010 but the two sale managers that were dealing with me and a finance manager of Volkswagen of Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) were acting the same way as jogousa described in her post #9294. So I decided that I will never buy a Volkswagen car if I need a German auto but rather spend a bit more and buy used 2-3 years BMW or Mercedes.

They are AWFUL (tricky, not-honest and rude) in VOLKSWAGEN OF LEWISVILLE. Please be aware! Never buy from Volkswagen of Lewisville!
  • misshmoobmisshmoob Member Posts: 1
    I went to Zimbrick in Madison last night to test drive the new honda civic LX. I love it. I am in the market for a car and debating between the corolla and civic. After my test driving, I preferred the civic. My brother recommended the EX over the LX. What is the difference?? The sales person gave me a quote of $17,200 for the 2010 LX. The market retail price is $19,110 something. Is this a good deal? I am not good with car shopping. This is my first time and will be my first car. Thanks for everyone's input.
    The difference between EX and LX are the "extras". EX typically has sunroof, audio control on steering wheel, external temp. sensor, rear center armrest storage, seat back storage, etc while LX doesn't.

Assuming you are looking for a 4 door automatic, LX price should be around 17,000 while EX around 18,500. Looking at your quotes the LX for 17,200 is pretty good deal but you could knock off another 200 if you have the patience sitting at the dealership and wait out the ...."I have to check with the sales manager...." routine dance.

Edmunds.com is a good source to compare both (click on comparison and enter models that you are comparing). Unfortunately Honda has so many different models and therefore you must compare apples with apples. Ideally, you should get an exact printout from the dealer (with all the options) on both cars, go home, research the data on Edmunds.com and come back as an educated car shopper. Good luck with that because most dealers do not like that kind of shopper in their showrooms.

Or better yet, deal with this issue over the internet (emails) with internet sales manager. He/she can give you specific VIN number (and color) of both vehicles that you are interested and you can compare both in the comfort of your home on Edmunds.com. Come back and shoot for the "invoice" price (not MSRP) and don't be shy to demand 100 or 150 over the invoice only! Remember every dealer has 3 profit centers: sales person, sales manager and F&I (finance and insurance) person. The last one will attempt to sell you stuff that you don't really need (like undercoating, extended warranty, etc).

If you have a trade in, don't mention it while negotiating the price. Bring it up at the end. Be prepared to take a "bath" on trade-in (typically appx 2000 below low blue book). It's better to unload your used vehicle on your own.
  • carzanncarzann Member Posts: 4
    I would love to know the answer to this as well. I have a 2009 Civic LX 4-dr sedan, and I get terrible mileage too. Around 32 highway is so-so, but my combined city/hwy mpg (most of my driving involves 50/50 city/hwy) barely hits 24 mpg. I realize it's a more powerful engine and won't get the great mileage of my previous underpowered Hondas -- I used to get 40 higway! -- but I do expect it to do better than my friend's Subaru Outback.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to find out if anything is wrong, as I have some other problems with either the engine or the brakes. I think it's just a matter of Honda doesn't make them as good as they used to -- something that's true of most things in this world.
    You have not indicated if you have automatic or manual transmission.
    For automatic, that mileage isn't that "terrible" at all.
    If you have a manual transmission, you have to adjust your driving habits to get the best MPG.
    Other factors that affect MPG involve tires that you have (inflation and thread design), gasoline type (brand) and weight of your vehicle.
  • tap6tap6 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a Civic LX sedan. I know there is a $650 dealer cashback going on. Is there also a Honda loyalty discount for existing Honda customers?
  • carzanncarzann Member Posts: 4
    Actually, that is bad city/hwy for an automatic, when it's advertised to get 28 city. And I understand all the factors that go into getting good MPG, and based on my tire pressure, gas brands (Sunoco, Shell), I should be getting better than 24 city/hwy, which is nearly equivalent to what my friend's turbo Subaru Outback automatic gets.
  • tennesseeluvertennesseeluver Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are turning our leased 4Runner back to Toyota the beginning of March and have been looking to purchase a 2010 Civic Coupe EX-L (automatic) with navigation soon, within this coming week or next.

We are going through a short sale right now with our house back in FL (now live in Memphis, TN), so I know that is hurting our credit right now, but we have been approved for a loan already from Honda through Capital One but with a pretty high interest rate, thinking of putting more of a down payment down to get it lowered, but I was hoping some of you here could help us out and give us an idea of what you think a good selling price would be for the 2010 Civic Coupe EX-L (automatic) with navigation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • jdinkjdink Member Posts: 1
    2010 Civic LX Sedan Automatic purchased in February
    in central NJ from Hamilton Honda:
    $16,225 for car new.
    $249 dealer document fee
    7% state tax on car cost only
    NJ state billed cost for license and registration
    No other costs or fees.

Price was for cash purchase, Wanted $800-$1,000 more if
    Honda financed at very low rate for 3-5 years.
    New dealership that has been opened for less that 6 months
    There are too many variables to give you a "good" price indication. Find out exactly what options are on the car that dealer has in stock (get the VIN number and color).
    Then price it on Edmund's website punching your zip code. See what the "invoice" value is and "what others are paying"....
    Good price (generally speaking) would be around $ 19,000 +/- 500 plus taxes and fees.
  • poloniuspolonius Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 2010 Civic sedan automatic EX-L w/ Navi in Houston TX. Has anyone purchased one in the area recently and would like to share their experience?
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2010
    Why don`t you just use the information on the Edmunds site, just spend some time of your own and look, there is also sites like Kelley Blue book, and NADA. I`ll give you a little help, I bought a EX-L coupe last February without Nav., and paid 20,000 before taxes, title, and interest. If you can find one for 19,000 +- 500.00 with Nav. like the previous poster said, that would be a miracle.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
  • png55png55 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased this today for $18,999 + tax & license. Almost $1800 under invoice. Got this thru internet quote and a little haggling. There are dealer incentives currently thru end of Feb. Hope this is helpful for others in the market.
  • masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    What do you think about $16,869 for a 2010 LX automatic which includes Honda Protection Package (trunk tray, all weather mats, splash guards), chrome exhaust tip, and Appearance Protection Package (5-year coverage of carpet, fabric upholstery, and paint including stains). Not sure about that Protection Package add-on. Would have to add tax, tag, title, and doc fee ($499-ouch). Thanks.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    How much are they charging for the protection package? In light of that doc fee I'd have them throw it in for free rather than pay for it.
  • masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    It's listed at $299.

Vehicle Price: $19,115.00
    Appearance Protection Package: +$299.00
    Honda Protection Package: +$764.00
    Preferred Customer Discount: -$3,309.00
    Selling Price: $16,869.00
  • socrates_is_mesocrates_is_me Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    I think I may have overpaid. This is for Louisville Ky area.

2010 Civic LX 4 door.

$17500 + $349 (doc fee) + $15 (Title Fee) + 7% Tax (I live in Indiana).

They found me 1.79% for 48 months Thru a Bank, Not Honda Finanical Services. I'm new to the country and Honda declined me b/c i don't have a long credit history.

I also got the extra warranty for $799.00 ( 7 years / 70,000 miles) I think it's crap, but i got suckered at the last min. Also, it's part of the loan, so I did not care that much.

Any thoughts?

-RM.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Just bought a brand new 2010LX-S manual with splash guards for $16K plus $150 doc fee plus sales tax. I took Honda's 1.9% for 60 months.

The list is $18,900. At list price, Civics are overpriced. I could have bought a 2010 Kia Forte EX 5M with sunroof/alloy wheels for $15,500 w/o any Kia Financing. I chose the Civic since it will have a better resale value.

No light in glove box, no backlight in power window switches (except driver), no outside temp readout, no hood/trunk insulation, no XM radio ....all std. in a Forte are disappointing.

The insurance premium on this car is higher than in our 2004 RX330 or 2001 Mercedes E430. This might be common in all small cars. Check/compare premiums before buying a Civic. Over 5-7 years of ownership, you might be better off with an Accord.

Joe
  • likemathlikemath Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Dear Fellow Honda Drivers, Sympathizers or Prospective Buyers,

Since I intensively read and used the information provided I think it is only fair to share my 2 cents and my price.
    Process:
    1. I requested an Itemized OTD (Out-of-The-Door =drive out price) quote from all Honda dealers in the area (50 miles radius), except the closest one. About 8 in Cleveland area.
    2. When they sent "c.ap" I had a short message ending "Thank you, I can not engage if you do not provide an itemized OTD".
    3. I've got a few quote and one was aggressive enough with good price.
    4. Sent the best quote to the other dealers if they can beat it.
    5. Answers received:
    a). Some were honest saying no, I can not do better, you better take it.
    b). Some said they can do 50$ better.
    c). Some said they can't do it but if I provide them the email, they will "match anything".
    d). "Our price is..number plus doc and titles". Ask for specifics Itemized OTD, if not provided, I discarded.

6. I've printed the best quote (without the 50$, not the b)) and went to the closest one with a message on a paper and left it to General Sales Manager. He wanted me to ...wait and "we can do this" and my answer was: "Call me if you can beat it.". He never called. It is a mouse and cat game sometimes I guess :-).

7. I went with the first good offer that others can only beat by 50$. I figured I have to honor the honest people. I kept the other on the list just in case.

Decoding of the answers number 5:
    -Getting quite a few a) and one or two b) type answers means you reached the best price in the area.
    -The d) are the bottom feeders, my advise stay away. As persons they may be nice but the company is all that you can imagine bad in a dealer practices. They do not engage, and I bet the other dealers does not like them either :-).
    -I used the b) as backup.

I stayed away of people that say "we already provided a quote" and they did not do an Itemized OTD. Especially, when they do it if you corner them, they have the price provided by a picture in the email that needs to be uploaded in the message. That allows the offer/picture to change. And you realize their offer is not even competitive.

There were 2 dealers that provided their best price at the beginning.

I went to the dealer pre-approved from my Credit Union and had some down-payment too. The price I negotiated were 2 fold: either Cash price or using Honda special financing price. Soon became obvious that the cash price is the best even if you factor in the interest for the credit union.

I used excel PMT function to do the calculations on the payment, put in a cell:
    =PMT(rate/12,12*numberYears,sumToFinance,0,0)

Get the cost of the the loan by previousValue*noPayments-sumToFinance.

Long story short, nice charts can be built with comparative offers.
    My final price was:

Car Price 16073
    Docs 250
    Title 33.5
    County Tax OH (7.75%) price+docs 1265.0325
    total OTD 17621.5325
    Down payment 3114.04
    Financed 3 years rate 3.49 14507.4925
    Total interest to be paid $793.00
    Total Price after 3 years 18301.28

My credit Union was 4% but I would have had to go get the check another day.They "beat it", but the point was I "saved" a trip and 118$ interest over 3 years. I would definitely advise to have a credit union pre-approval under the belt.

Well, the only way to "save" money is actually not to buy, or it is just me :-).

In conclusion my wife drove her car home, I drove in front in my Civic 2003 Sedan that still runs like a swiss clock after 6 years and 130,000 miles. I figured she will enjoy her Honda as much as I did mine and ...continue to enjoy.

Good luck.
    P.S. My dealer that I rate ***** was Classic Honda for people in the Cleveland area. I would recommend only to friends :-). Very good and professional. They are just not used to people that actually read what they sign. They call them "readers". I know is pejoratively said but still I like to be called "reader". :-).
  • likemathlikemath Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Do not worry about it. Enjoy the car.

Some mentioned here awhile ago that you have a few days to cancel the extra warranty if you wish. Check into that. I think it is true.

That will not lower your monthly payment but would shorten your time by that amount.

Also, some time ago you could buy the warranty for less on the internet, still honda warranty. I do not know if it is still available.

Congratulations.
  • jacknibbsjacknibbs Member Posts: 17
    Looking to make a purchase this weekend and after few emails to 4-5 dealerships, I have the following best quotes.
    LX: $15,395 + $710 dest + 7% tax + MV fees + $199 dealer doc fee
    LX-S: $16,256 + $710 dest + 7% tax + MV fees + $249 dealer doc fee

Possible to get better or anyone in North NJ been able to get better recently?
    Still considering if LX-S is worth the extra money.
  • ickick Member Posts: 17
    Can anyone share if you got good deal on civic LX in southen california? The best offer I got is $18500 OTD and I wonder if thats good.... thanks!
  • taylor1030taylor1030 Member Posts: 3
    That seems a bit high but maybe not for the area.
    I purchased a LX sedan in Oklahoma this evening for the following:
    MSRP: 19,115
    Price paid: 16,166 + 99.00 doc fee

I am pretty satisfied with price and buying experience.
  • azzi123azzi123 Member Posts: 1
    Bought one from Lia Honda in Albany NY today for $16,300 + $1304 sales tax + $272 DMV fees with Honda financing at 1.9%/60mo for a total $17,876.
  • lacrociouslacrocious Member Posts: 2
    I am collecting quotes from dealers in the Milwaukee, WI area. Have one from across the border in IL for $18,569 OTD (without tax, title, license - which i believe would all be paid to WI. Edmunds True value is 19,421 - so that appears to be a relatively good deal. It is an 80 mile drive to IL and have to hassle through the WI DMV rather than getting title, plates, etc. at the dealer - but it may be worth it.

Anybody have anything good or bad about buying across state lines?

- L
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    This means total "out the door"...tax, doc & any other fees the dealer can come up with. The price you were given is not an "otd" price.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• phantmshadophantmshado Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I've received a quote of $16,147 + the 6.25% sales tax + $299 doc fee + $29 sticker + 125 license plate by email. Is this a good deal?
  • taylor1030taylor1030 Member Posts: 3
    The quote on the car is excellent. The 299 doc fee is high (i paid 99.00).
  • lacrociouslacrocious Member Posts: 2
    In this case, since it would be an out of state purchase and Tax, Title, License would be paid to my state, not the dealers state, it is an OTD price - from the standpoint of leaving the dealer's door. Based on some additional research I did today, I would have 2 business days to get to the WI DMV and apply for License and Title as well as pay Tax.

Other dealers are coming in with a few suprises....
    $17785.00 + Doc: $199.00 + Title: $89 + Tax: $909.04 = 18980.04 OTD.
    (from a WI dealer - so OTD means what you would normally think).

Thats $1,373 below Edmunds TMV and $1578 below Edmunds Invoice - looking good to me. That's first email request for quote. Nice.
    - L
  • lakipallakipal Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Hello All,

First off, thanks for all the useful information this forum provides.

We finalized on the following deal:

Maryland
    $14690 (Invoice) + $710 (Dest.) + $100 (Processing) = 15500
    Plus: 6% (Tax) + Tags/Title

No Add On's, No Service Incentives and no Low APR (invoice was going up for the special APR).

Most of the invoice pricing on the internet and a little discussion at the dealership.

Regards,
    L
  • phantmshadophantmshado Member Posts: 2
    Ok, was your quote within 16,347? Also, is the pricing in the post above me just a maryland thing?
  • cfragocfrago Member Posts: 11
    MRSP 18915 (with dest), about 1,000 more for FL sales tax. Can I get it OTD in the Vero Beach FL area for 16,500 or is that too aggressive? Starting March 2, there is 1,000 mgf to dealer cash on the car. No trade-on, paying cash. If, 16,500 is not enough, I think the max might be about 17,500 (2415 off total). thanks in advance.
  • flyingtree02flyingtree02 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    Get the following quote from dealer in north CA:
    Selling price: 16,191
    License fee: 258
    CA tire fee 8.75
    DMV ET: 29
    Doc fee: 55
    9.25% tax
    OTD: 18,045
    APR: 3.9%@ 36month
    Is this price reasonable? Thanks
  • chelliredchellired Member Posts: 13
    I've gotten a few internet quotes in the Baltimore MD area - all for a Civic sedan EX auto. Here are the two best I've gotten:

Dealer X's original offer was 16800 + dest, 98 doc fee, 237 MD tags, plus tax (yes, this is for an automatic)

Dealer Y's original offer was 17888 + dest, 99 doc fee, 237 MD tags, plus tax, this price INCLUDES wheel locks and mud guards. Plus their "extra mile plan" for free (includes lifetime $9.95 oil changes, free car washes for life - unlimited, free towing, free inspections, and more).

I sent X's emailed quote to Y. Here is Dealer Y's response (in bold):

If I offer you $16800 plus all of the fees they are charging you you would come here instead of there?

Their price breaks down like this: $16800 + $710 = NET Sale Price with Destination.

$17510 + $348 (Wheel Locks and Mud Guards which they WILL charge you if not more)

$17858 + $99 (Processing Fee)

$17957 + $1077 (Tax) + 237 (2 year MD Tags) =

19271 ON the Road.

This is the best I can do and it would leave this deal at a negative profit.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I getting a good deal. Thanks so much for the help. When I leased my current car (Civic) this forum helped tremendously!
  • badabada Member Posts: 1
    I'm not feeling as confident about my purchase after seeing that last post. Now that I know about the dealer cash, the price should have come down considerably.
    2010 Civic Sedan EX with Navigation MSRP 22,965 + mud guards 249 already installed.
    TMZ price w/o mud guards 20,551
    My price 20441.00 + Tax + 231.50 title fees = OTD price 22512.19
    Honda of Slidell, LA

What do we think?