Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    plovertplovert Member Posts: 3
    So you can't take the dealer cash AND the 0.9 rate? Bummer...
  • Options
    jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    I think you can do 1K to 1.5K better. I paid 15150 plus the rest. But the other poster might right choices may be limited by the end of the month.
    Good luck!!!
  • Options
    senrvsenrv Member Posts: 5
    I took 0.9 and not dealer cash
  • Options
    legacy87legacy87 Member Posts: 10
    My dealer won't budge with the $17745 OTD. Will the $1000 cash back incentive come back? It is a LX automatic sedan. I don't want their 0.9% APR since I'll be paying full.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    OTD prices are meaningless. Where do you live? How much are the taxes? Doc fees in your area? Title and tags? If all your local dealers charge about the same for doc fees and they all should be the same on title, tags, and taxes - then you just need to worry about the selling price of the car including destination. Compare that number to the other SELLING prices you see posted and against invoice and see how you are doing. If I live in a 0% tax state and you in an 8% tax state, you would NEVER get as good an OTD price as I can get...

I would also get quotes from a variety of dealers. My local dealers normally never deal very low, so I have to go 3-4 hours (each way) out of town to get rock bottom prices. A bit of a hassle, but saves me a lot of money. You can also post where you live and ask for dealer suggestions. Trying to deal low with some Honda dealers is about impossible, they would rather you go elsewhere than discount the cars that much.
  • Options
    samgreensamgreen Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I basically agree that OTD are meaningless across states for the reasons you said--sales taxes vary, etc. The one variable that might matter is the documentation fee, unless it's regulated in a state. In Massachusetts it's not, and there is a range. I can think of two dealerships where there is a $150 difference. As far as I can tell, doc fees (not including state taxes and fees) are a euphemism for dealer profit. You might as well add them to the selling price in order to compare dealer to dealer.

According to Edmunds, the $1000 idealer incentive for civics is in effect--so for those not financing, $1000 below invoice is a ballpark target price for many states.
  • Options
    senrvsenrv Member Posts: 5
    Actually, I took 0.9 and no dealer incentive $1000.
    but Can I change the financing now to get the dealer incentive?? Is that possible??
  • Options
    I usually state the selling price plus the doc fee or just include it in the selling price. Everything else (taxes, tags, title, etc) should be same so comparing selling + doc is what you want to do. My newest S2000 came from a place with a high doc fee, but the NET of the price + doc was was into the hold back. Ditto my wife's Pilot deal.

As you mentioned, Edmunds now shows the $1k dealer money as back. So a target price of invoice - $1k when looking at the car+destination+dealer fee would be pretty good deal. There may or may not be a new stepped incentive based on quota, but I am betting there is - so deals $300 or more under invoice - $1k may be POSSIBLE again this month.
  • Options
    Probably not now that the deal is done. Have you calculated the difference? If you WERE to un-do the deal and pay 4% or more rather than 0.9% you will borrow $1k less but your payment will be more. Now, if you can get 2 or 3% money you would save a little each month, but probably not worth the effort. Run the numbers both ways and see, but I am thinking you will not save much or any.

Remember that by taking the 0.9% you "automatically" paid $1k more (in theory) than those posting prices that paid cash, leased, or used other financing. So with the rate you selling price is not as bad as you might think...
  • Options
    So here's my final price with the NY honda dealer:

Invoice: 17760
    Sale Price (with destination that included the $1000 cash back): 16475
    Document: 75
    State & Local Tax: 993
    License and Fees: 166.75
    Total: $17,709.75

I think it's a fairly good deal when other dealers around the state are charging sale price (with dest and cash back) for around 17100 and OTD of 18555.

What are your opinions? Also, did anyone have any disputes over cost when going to the dealer with their own internet quote?
  • Options
    If you have not finished the deal your price with destination 16475 is atleast 1300 to much. Mine was 15150. Some others on here got their LX's in the 14XXX range. But if you like the car and you feel you got a good deal that is all that counts.
  • Options
    What state and dealer did you go to? It seems the area I am in, NY/VT, some of the dealers are hard to bargain down.
  • Options
    thenappannthenappann Member Posts: 1
    The 1000$ incentives are there right now, i am also looking to buy a Civic LX , which dealer are you going to. I want the 0.9% APR
  • Options
    The 1000$ incentives are there right now, i am also looking to buy a Civic LX , which dealer are you going to. I want the 0.9% APR

You can't have both. Unless you have a super low rate from your bank or credit union (say 2%) it will work out better for you to take the rate and pay the extra $1k for the car. Get your rate and run the numbers yourself, but this is one case were taking the financing is a better deal than taking the cash.

$1,000 Dealer Cash available towards the retail purchase or lease of a new 2010 Civic (excluding GX). Cash can be combined with Special AHFC Lease/Purchase Plan or Zero Due at Signing Leases, but cannot be combined with Special AHFC APR Financing. Please see your dealer for details.
  • Options
    I live in Northern California. 2 local dealers offered me the same price. 15150 for the auto coupe and 15197 for the auto sedan. Took a black Coupe. Added the mudflaps at another dealer, bought the all weather mats and trunk tray online, and had the windows tinted at a local tint shop. I got a quote for Honda care, 6yr 100K for $700 form college hills honda. I have a few thousand miles to make that decision. I was thinking about trying to hold out for another couple hundred bucks buy I didn't want to lose the color I wanted.
    I'm sure for every car they don't make much profit on they just make it up with another.....
  • Options
    mrcoolinin1mrcoolinin1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Can you please tell me the name of the 2 dealers who gave you that best price? I too live in North california and like to take a civic LX today.

Thanks!
  • Options
    cwalk1cwalk1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi there,

I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with. I had planned on helping my sister buy a car in Sept/Oct (in Eastern NC) and wondering the following:

1. are there only sales incentives for end of month? how about the beginning of the month?

2. Does the Honda clearance end in September? Will there be 2010 civic models in October and would they be considered new? Having the 3 year bumper to bumper is important for us.

3. The lifetime powertrain warranty- Is this just a marketing ploy or is this a really good deal if we are considering other car brands?

4. Is the internet manager really the way to go to buy a honda?

Thank you for any help!
  • Options
    1) The current dealer money is all month long as it was last month. Honda never has REBATES but often does have dealer money, but not as much on Civics - most of the time on Accords. There also are often quota based incentives for dealers that come on in steps, they reach a certain number then they get $xxx per car bonus, sell that number + xx more and get more. Catch them at the end of the month when they either need to sell a couple more to get to the next level or have already made their number for the month and you can save several hundred dollars. Some dealers offer low prices all month KNOWING if they do they will make quota.

2) My daughter's 06 Civic was MADE in 09/06, but September is normally the launch of the next model year (2011 in this case) but you could still find some new 2010 models arriving on dealer lots. 2011 is a redesign year for the Civic, so I would expect lower than normal sale prices and a harder push to get rid of the 2010 models before 2011 models arrive. Now the new 2011 may blow away the current car, so you may be happier paying more for the new model. If you think that way and can, just wait a few months more and by the end of the calendar year you should find deals on the new '11 models (not as cheap as now, though). Also buying at the END of the model run nets you the most reliable car and buying the FIRST of the new models nets you the least reliable car - even Hondas. Whenever you buy a new, never-titled, non-demo Honda it is considered new on the day you buy it and full warranty from that point on applies.

3) What other brands? Honda is 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60k (right?) power-train. You can also buy a Hondacare warranty to extend those numbers, but it IS a Honda so you should expect a long lasting, reliable car no matter if it is under warranty or not.

4) Depends on the dealer, but that is usually the way to go. Get the price for the car including destination, dealer fees, and their out the door price. Compare the price w/destination + dealer fees to invoice - known incentives and against other dealer prices. Any dealer that will not give you a firm price over the phone or e-mail pass on them. If you have to go on the lot for a price, do not bother. Be prepared to range far from home to find a better deal - my local dealers seldom can touch what a dealer 3 or 4 hours away can do.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I made a mistake on my last post. The 2 dealers were Livermore and Dublin. I got my mudflaps in San Leandro. I ended up buying the car in Dublin. Ask for the the internet sales guy.
    If you email me jamesdsr@ymail.com I will give you his name.
    All of the Norcal Honda dealers all had the same DOC fee $55.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your help!

We are looking at the Hyundai because of it's 5 year b2b and 10 year powertrain. My sister has a lemon (Nissan Sentra 2002) and needs something reliable. I can sleep better with a good warranty.

one more question - if we went with used honda, how can I find out the best cost of additional warranty and what types do they sell - 3 years and more?
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience on what the pricing for 2010 civic could be in October when 2011 models come in?

What would be the best strategy in buying this model when new models roll in?

Thank you,
    Conny
  • Options
    raiderinnyraiderinny Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    @ legacy87 -- wow. Total: $17.709?

Damn -- I went to Hillside Honda and tried haggling with them. I saw someone posted they got theirs, or a friends, a 2010 Honda Civic LX Sedan in the $14,000 range? That's sick.

Well, I'm in need of a ride and went today, and I'm trying to gauge the pricing. I really don't want to pay, including taxes and everything else more than 16.000. You think I can pull it off?
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a Hyundai, they keep making their cars better and better. I think you will find (as I did getting a car for my son) that once you put AC, ABS, and a stereo on most any cheap car you are getting close to the price of a Civic with the current deep discounts. I did the cheap least with a payment including taxes under $200 a month with 1st payment and tags paid at signing. Hard (impossible?) to touch that. After 3 years you can buy the car, sell it to a dealer like CarMax, or just turn it in a walk away.

There is a Honda extended warranty forum here on Edmunds, you can find info there on getting a discount HondaCare warranty on a new or used Honda. The dealers can no longer sell "on the Internet" but you can still buy via a phone call. If she gets a lemon Honda, it will be one of the very few that were made.
  • Options
    matt712matt712 Member Posts: 6
    I've been haggling numerous dealers in my area for a honda civic lx auto. The best price I've been able to get is 15728 w/dest. which translates to 17657.00 OTD (7% sales tax). This is a little frustrating because in June prices were at 15150 w dest. and less than 17000 OTD. Does anyone have any price quotes or prices paid for the month of July?
  • Options
    Civic LX auto SEDAN or coupe? I will assume sedan...

What is your area? Perhaps someone could suggest a dealership to work with for better pricing? Also, try dealers farther away for better prices. Around here it can be hard to deal, but drive 3-4 hours and you can get much better prices.

$15,728 w/dest is a nice price. How much is the dealer doc or prep fee? I paid $15,999 + $398 dealer fee last month and thought I got a really nice deal. Remember that the $1k dealer money goes away if you do the cheap Honda Finance deal, but stays if you do the discounted lease, pay cash, or do any other financing.

Keep in mind this is mid-month and some dealers will not get highly motivated until the end of the month. Last month there was an additional stepped incentive available that combined with the $1k dealer money to let some dealers (that met or exceed their quota) to offer some really nice prices.
  • Options
    matt712matt712 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply Dwynne. I forgot to mention that the price I got was for a coupe and that I'm in South Florida. I'm paying cash so I'm taking the $1000 over the special financing. I will take your advice and start contacting dealers that are farther away. I plan to make my purchase during the last week of July so hopefully that will help. Has anyone heard whether or not the stepped incentive has returned this month? Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Looks like invoice on the coupe is $17,522.63 - the $1k would be $16,522. $15,728 sounds like a good price already...

Something else you can do as well - get online dealer quotes from places like right here on Edmunds. They are all no obligation and the dealers will all know you are shopping for the best price and comparing all their quotes. Try it here, some folks report getting some nice prices. Also try overstock and carsdirect to see how those numbers compare.
  • Options
    The end of the month could stand to be better for you. I got my LX auto coupe May 28th for 15150. That was in Norcal. Your price is good. That is around the price they were sitting at till the end of the month and then lowered the price. Good Luck! I love my coupe.
  • Options
    plovertplovert Member Posts: 3
    I got yesterday a Civic sedan auto for 17500+sales tax OTD. Looks like slightly under invoice, didn't get the 1000 credit as I preferred the 0.9% financing. Perhaps could have bargained harder and got a better deal but what the heck.
  • Options
    windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
    2) Actually, the next generation of the Honda Civic has been delayed one more year with a release date sometime in 2011 as a 2012 model year. The reasoning seems to differ from article to article, with writers claiming that the designers were displeased with everything from the growing length of the car and that it had to be resized to disappointing fuel economy numbers to simply taking another year to fine tune the vehicle...I'm sure the new Civic will be similar in size (perhaps larger interior with similar exterior dimensions), standard safety features will increase (stability and traction control...), increased mpgs, etc to keep up with the competition like the new Focus, Cruze and Elantra (isn't a new Sentra due out soon, too?) that have finally caught up and surpassed the Civic that has defined the role of the compact car for the past 5 years.
  • Options
    dacong2010dacong2010 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys,
    I am at San Diego. I got a quote for ex-L (auto, w/o NAV), the OTD price is 21626 (8.75% tax) for the car itself is 19534. I think it is kinda pricy, but the dealer said he already cut 1550 off from the invoice price...I don't know, I think it could be lower, since it is summer clearance now.
    What do you guys think, Is it a good offer? Thank you!
  • Options
    dacong2010dacong2010 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys, I got a quote for EX $19150 at 8. 75%tax, is that a good deal? Sounds like a good offer, Or it could be lower? Thank you!
  • Options
    rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    2010 EX Sedan, Automatic. $18,000 flat with fog lights. Includes destination. Plus tax, tags and $399 processing fee. Is this a good deal? Is Urban Titanium and popular color?
  • Options
    nitehawk1nitehawk1 Member Posts: 4
    where was this price??
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    NO, I had a quote for an EX auto sedan for 16800 in northern cali.
    I didn't want to pay an extra 2K OTD for the extras for the EX model. The only things I miss is the radio control on the steering whee, The outside temperature, and the trunk remote on the key fob....Not worth the 2K for me.
  • Options
    rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Washington DC area dealer.
  • Options
    Thank You
  • Options
    tphan1tphan1 Member Posts: 4
    which dealer did u get the car?. i got offer from honda of irving 15, 275 w/out dest :(..trying to get a better deal
  • Options
    I;ve been getting price quote from different dealers around arlington, TX. My uncle told me that do not believe in internet price quote, so is there anybody got a deal by email and already bought the car? the lowest quote i had untill now is 15,275 w/out destination fee.. Thanks
  • Options
    jlin22jlin22 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to share my recent purchase of a 2010 Honda Civic DX-VP SDN Automatic. Purchase price was $14,277 so with doc fee ($100) tags/registration and sales tax (6% in PA) OTD price was $15,345. I had my own financing lined up (2.99% for 60 Months). I think I got a pretty good deal, but what do you guys think?
  • Options
    Did you not try to take advantage of the .9% financing through AHF?

Many local dealers did not carry the DX; yours at it in stock?

thank you.
  • Options
    I was going to; however, after running the numbers it made more financial sense to take $1,000 off the purchase price of the vehicle, even with a 60 month loan. (Which I probably will not be carrying full term).

It wasnt a DX, but a DX-VP which basically just adds air conditioning and CD/MP3.
  • Options
    Ah I see. I didn't know they were still running the $1000 off. Do you know how long this will take place?

I am helping my sister buy a car and will do it by the end of August.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    From what I understand, the honda year end clearance incentives are running until September 7th, 2010; but please verify yourself. I wouldnt't want your sister to miss out should she decide to purchase one.

I believe I got a good price for the vehicle. It was $2500.00 under dealer invoice.
  • Options
    did you they quote you the price with the $1000 off or did you ahve to ask for it?

Thanks so much.
  • Options
    Actually, I was having dealers compete amongst themselves via Internet quotes (initally made through edmunds.com) and after almsot two weeks of going back and forth between dealers as a fluke, I heard about overstock.com. I went there and just input the information including the trim I wanted and they indicated that there was a dealer in MD offering a quote a full $500 less than my already negotiated lowest price (Doc fees were substantially lower as well). So i set up an appointment for Sunday and made the 2 hour drive and purchased the vehicle the same day.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    thanks. the internet price is like couple thousands lower than the price that they offer you at dealers. Seems like internet price quote is pretty helpful at saving time and money
  • Options
    Sounds like a super deal, can you please provide me with the name of the dealership, thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It was Criswell Honda in Germantown MD. It was a little over 2 hour drive 1 way for me, but I feel as though it was worth it. My "salesman" (There was no selling going on since I new what car and what price I was paying) was Andy R. Mention that I referred you if you buy someting, maybe they'll spot me something for a referral :) John Lind