Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• congngecongnge Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I am from Plano, TX. Just bought 2010 Civic LX, auto on Friday for 17,200 OTD price including Window Tinting. Sales tax here is 6.25%. Dealer name is David Mc David in Frico, TX.
  • phantom71phantom71 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Thank you for all your inputs regarding about my question, so far the lowest quote I have gotten is $17,800 OTD with 1.9% interest rate about 5 weeks ago, and I am not sure if this quote is still good with the new 0.9% interest rate.
    Also does any knows if the 2011 Civic Sedan will be a new body style or just a carry over of the 2010 Civic? so far my research has shown that the style will be change for the 2012. Still I am wondering if these rumors valid? Dealers refused to disclose the upcoming Civics and even North American Honda Customer Service gave me a run around. Does anyone has any relative or friends that work in Honda Plants which can reveal the 2011 look like?
  • legacy87legacy87 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2010
    Can you give us the breakdown of the cost? I understand that CA sales tax is a real pain. I read somewhere that 2011 will have the same body style as 2010.

Also, if you can't find any good deals around LA, I recommend trying to find dealership 2 or 3h away. I know for VT, none of the local dealers were willing to bargain. So I had to go 150 miles away, which in the end was worth it when I save about $750 from what I would have paid if I were to go to a local dealer.

Also, never believe a salesperson when they say, "We got the lowest price. Noone can beat our price." I emailed the local dealer back when I purchased the car $750 cheaper from what they offered. I never got a response back. Take that salesperson!!!
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    OTD was 16959 not 17959.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The 2011 was supposed to be a redesign, but I heard it was pushed back to the 2012 model year. So as far as anyone *I* talked to knows, the cars will only have minor improvements for 2011. The later in the build cycle the more reliable, so a 2010 or 2011 would be about as good as it gets - and the new model will always be more problematic (even Honda has issues with new designs). The resale value of the end of design will usually take a harder hit than normal, because "for just a little more" someone could buy a used model of the new design. Of course, that all assumes the new design is more appealing than what it replaced. Deals for the left over end of cycle models tend to be the best, while you may have to wait longer for deals on the new design.
  • sunnyboyinsunnyboyin Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me if $18,500 is a good price for 2010 Honda Civic EX Sedan? If not what would be a good price to buy?
    Under 17K Auto Sedan including destination......
  • sunnyboyinsunnyboyin Member Posts: 2
    Did you mean for EX? Where do you live? Is it in Des Moines Area?
    Yes EX that is what is in your Title. I live in Northern California.
  • str8jackitstr8jackit Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have been going back and forth with a couple dealers on a 2010 Civic SI Sedan, and the best price I could get was $20,300 O.T.D. + Title/Registration. Anyone know if this is a good deal?

Thanks
  • leahchchleahchch Member Posts: 10
    Then, how much the 2010 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L Auto?
    That one I'm not sure about. Maybe 19K including dest? I only pursued the LX and EX and went with the LX because the extra's for the EX wasn't worth it for me. I only miss the outside temp gauge and the remote for the trunk on the key fob. Not worth $1800 for those two items. I don't think the civic is worth leather seats either. Not comfortable enough. These are just my opinions.

Take care and good luck!
    Thank you for your information, and it is really helpful.
    I mailed a dealer and asked about the quote and the break down cost, and the reply is:
    ---------------------------------------
    Sale price:$17,995.00
    Trade value:$0.00
    Net difference:$17,995.00

FLA. Tire disposal fee:$2.00
    FLA. Lead-acid battery disposal fee: $6.50
    Pre-delivery service fee:$599.00
    Amount taxable on vehicle: $18,602.50
    Sales tax = 6% with $25 fee $1,141.15
    $50 fee reflected here: $50.00
    Tag fee NEW=$425/transfer=$250 $250

Cash balance due on vehicle: $20,043.65

As this is my first tme to buy a new car, so I do not know whether the fee's charged above is reasonable or not, can anyone tell me? Also, what is the best offer around Orlando area?
    The "pre delivery service fee" is BS (usually) and the $25 fee and $50 fees are not explained. The EX sedan w/auto has an invoice price of $19,403 and there is $1k in dealer cash (if you don't use the cheap 0.9% loan). Your price is $17,995 + $599 = $18,594 and maybe those other two fees. Your net price (car w/destination + dealer fees) is $809 under invoice. So while the fee may be bogus, the NET price looks pretty good to me. Edmunds shows "TMV" at $18,750 for this model.
  • legacy87legacy87 Member Posts: 10
    @leahchch: Even though it's under invoice, you can still get a BETTER deal. This dealership looks questionable especially when they give you all these BS fees. Generally, the only legit fees are the following:

1. Destination Fee ($750)
    2. Sales Tax
    3. DMV/registration/title
    4. Doc Fee (ranges from $75-250's depending on the dealership)

Go to another dealership where they give you less BS. Edmunds TMV may be outdated because we are in August, and the new model is coming out in Sept or Oct.

My suggestion is get a quote from 5-7 dealers. Once you find a good deal, send the email quote to other competitors to see if they can offer a better deal. This will hopefully lead to a price war (this works better at the end of the month when they need to meet their quota).

I had to drive 3h away to buy my car, but it was worth it driving back with my new ride that was $700 cheaper than all my local dealers. =)
    You have to just look at the net price - car, with destination, and any dealer fees - and compare to other dealer quotes. I leased 2 cars from a Honda dealer with a $500 or so "doc" fee - but my net price in both cases was way below invoice and into the holdback. So I don't let the fees scare me off, and I do recommend as you do that everyone get many quotes and from local and distant dealers as long as they compare the price for the car+dest+fees then they can find the best deal.
  • venky_rkvenky_rk Member Posts: 4
    Hi ,

I got a price quote of $15700 (inc. destination charge) + 6.25 taxes, documentation charges with 0.9 % APR.

Dealer also offered that if I co go for other bank loans of 2.45% APR, he is ready to give me further discount. Really not sure, what does this dealer provided auto loan is and what are all the catches..

Want to close the deal...Pl. suggest whether it is good deal in MA..Or any other room for negotation.

thanks
    venky
    As long as the dealer loan is simple interest with no set up fee and is the same term in months then it should be no problem. Also see what your bank or credit union is doing for new cars. CapitalOne online is doing 3.07% for 60 months.

You can plug the numbers into the Edmund low apr VS cash back calculator here at this link and see how it changes things. If you use $1,000 as the customer cash, 0.9% and 2.45% as the APR, and 60 months as the term the 2.45% wins out by $6.47 a month (tax included). Change the rate to 3.07% and the difference goes to $2.17 a month.

You are not going to save a LOT doing this, assuming the dealer gives you all of the $1,000 dealer money for taking the higher rate and does deliver on a 60 month 2.45% simple interest loan.
  • karsankarsan Member Posts: 1
    One of the dealer's in my area (WA) is quoting $17,588 (does not include any fees) for a used 2010 EX Coupe. Is this a good buy?
  • edmundfanedmundfan Member Posts: 6
    Can someone Help me with the Edmunds TMV calculator while pricing with the 2010 civic 1000 dollar cash back offer?

For example, a simple 2010 LX 4dr Sedan in the TMV calculator comes out the be $16’978 TMV. But, The TMV calculator “does not take into account Manufacturer-to-consumer rebates”. Subtracting another thousand dollars from the TMV price does not seem correct after reading the LX OTD price posts here. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction, thanks in advance.
  • echidapusechidapus Member Posts: 1
    I am in Vermont and have been pricing out dealers throughout the state, upstate NY and in NH. I'm not finding any dealer that has negotiating room below $17,500 before incentives. Any advice/thoughts?
    It probably depends on the ZIP you use, but for me the LX auto Civic sedan comes up $19,155 $17,706 $17,028 (MSRP, invoice, TMV). I am pretty SURE the TMV takes into account the $1k in dealer money. So if you take the 0.9% financing your TMV would be $!k higher.

Everything is negotiable and you may find a dealer that will give a much nicer deal, a lot of the pricing is timing and location. So if you may not can replicate what someone else claims they were able to do - since you are not there at the same time as they got their deal.
    Did you check to see that in your area there is a $1k dealer incentive?

$17,523 is invoice for a coupe LX w/auto, so your quotes are all for invoice? Then if you take the 0.9% financing that would be your price, don't take the cheap money and your price should go down by $1k. Not the worlds best deal, but getting a new Civic for invoice or less is never a bad deal. If could be that is the best you can do in your area...
    Yes, zip code will differ and yes I have the offer in my area. Going for a cash deal no financing. The TMV terms say “does not take into account Manufacturer-to-consumer rebates”. It also says the same for Tax. But like dynne, I was leaning to the same conclusion, that the TMV price posted does include the thousand dollar cash back. Even though the Edmunds TMV price terms say otherwise. Strange. Cash back car buyers would have to know the answer before they walked into a dealer with their Edmund TMV price in their pocket. If you take another grand off the TMV price quote it seems too low to be true.
    “does not take into account Manufacturer-to-consumer rebates”.

There is your answer, right there. This is factory to DEALER money not to consumer. Honda never has consumer rebates.

From the edmunds incentive page:

Marketing Support
    $1000 Cash to Dealer start: 07/31/2010 end: 09/07/2010
    $1,000 Dealer Cash available towards the retail purchase or lease of a new 2010 Civic (excluding Hybrid and GX). Cash can be combined with Special AHFC Lease/Purchase Plan or Zero Due at Signing Lease, but cannot be combined with Special AHFC APR Financing. See participating dealer for details.
    Comments Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our Visitor Agreement.
    Great thanks for the feedback. TMV quote does indeed apply the Manufacturer-to-Dealer, not the other way. I have, in the past, used Both the cash-back to dealer or to Customer in negotiations. In my experience, the sales person did not care either way. So hopefully others can use this to their advantage. Good luck everyone, appreciate the help dwynne.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Sat in one of these today and really liked the sport seats and the leather steering wheel...absolutely worth the extra $. If my '06 LX didn't have such low miles, 28k, I'd be tempted to do a swap possibly. But nothing wrong with it, so why trade into another Civic. Am eyeing a C Class MB I test drove this morning! Awesome car with exceptional seats for my worsening spinal issues.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ruru1ruru1 Member Posts: 1
    Ventura CA Vista Honda listed a 2010 Civic LX Sedan including a VIN number under new cars on Edmonds. When I called they said that this was a preowned vehicle. And that a new one was $2000 more than the one listed. Just wanted to alert you shoppers.
  • ywuywu Member Posts: 6
    This sounds a good price. venky_rk, would you please tell us the dealer's info?
    Thank you.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    How many miles? I bought a brand new EX Sedan for under $17K complete with fog lights, window visors, chrome exhaust tip, mud flaps, pinstripe, and door edge guards, all installed. I'm in Virginia.
  • rkjindalrkjindal Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2010
    Here is the best quote I got in Northern VA

100 Processing Fee
    90 Tittle/Registration
    462 3% VA Sales Tax
    15,942 OTD
  • flagatorflagator Member Posts: 1
    At what Civic sedan model level is Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control included? Thoughts on the cost / benefit evaluation? Thanks.
  • berkchopsberkchops Member Posts: 1
    Well I am starting to look at a new car. My current lease will be up in the next few months so I'm starting to do my homework now. I live on Long Island in NY. Went to a local Honda dealer today just to get some ballpark #'s. I have been driving MT cars for the last 10 years or so and don't want an AT. Was told at the dealership that they are impossible to find on Long Island and that I shouldn't even bother looking. Was told that if I really want to go that route I will have to wait for at least a few months and that they would charge over sticker. Can anyone chime in on this and let me know if this is normal? I understand that the Si might be hard to find but I'm looking at an EX coupe.

Thanks!
  • mitch360mitch360 Member Posts: 27
    Picked up car today in Long Island, NY in polished metallic with gray interior. After about 30 minutes of negotiating, here's the deal :

$150/month for 36 months, 15000 miles /year
    Up front costs totaled $ 2395 including tax, destination, bank fee, documentation fee, set up fee, tire management fee, and registration fee for 2 years.

Sticker was $19,155 but cap cost of car after $1000 rebate was $15477.

You really need to stay on top of these dealers to make sure that the prices do not change. At one point the up front cost was over $2620 but when I made them go over each fee, they "discovered" that one fee was a duplicate.
    If I am reading this correctly you have to step up to the EX-L for the 2010 model year. http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/price.aspx
  • vitullvitull Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy an EX this week. Where did you get this offer in VA?
  • malt0semalt0se Member Posts: 1
    Can you give me the name of the dealership? Im in MD and that beats the quotes Ive been getting
    Criswell Honda
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I understand that the Si might be hard to find but I'm looking at an EX coupe.

You are probably better off looking for an Si. Looks like there is a $3000 incentive on the vehicle.
  • jirzleejirzlee Member Posts: 5
    Where did you see a $3000 incentive? Edmunds shows me $1000.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    edited August 2010
    The top trim only: EX-L w/Navigation.
    Almost all vehicles today already have Traction Control, and have for a few years, including Civics.
    The Stability Control is the big one. I've never had a car that's had it. Can't speak from experience, but I belive it is a real step up in safety and a must-have. I believe all vehicles will be required to have it as standard equipment starting in 2012.
    Stability control on FWD cars is not that big of a deal - compared to a RWD vehicle. With FWD is most cars you can't get the car to come around no matter what you do - push it too hard and the car understeers, lift the throttle to correct. With a RWD car push too hard and lift and the car can snap spin on you. ABS is a must have, traction control is "OK" on a FWD lower powered car (just lift if the tires spin) and stability control is just "OK" as well on a FWD car. I would not limit my choice based on this feature when FWD car shopping.
    $18'070 with Window tint and mud guards. Price does not include TTL But does include Destination and Doc fee.
    edited August 2010
    When I bought my LX at the end of May I was offered the LX-s auto w/dest for $15800. Plus $450 for tint and mudflaps. I think you can do way better than your offer.
    when i was looking the edmund TMV price quote was 17,530 on the LXS Sedan auto. But each zip code price quote is different I guess. On a side note, Do you think your LXS offer was below the Edmund TMV price quote at the time? Or what about your LX... was it at or near the Edmund TMV price quote? Thanks in advance.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    The videos that simulate a panic avoidance maneuver look pretty convincing to me, and are not all rwd vehicles.
    I was in Great Falls, MT for a week in the early 80's during the winter. It snowed heavily, then got clear. The fwd vehicles were a small percentage then. I remember people being amazed at how well they handled the snow (on level ground) without chains.
    I didn't use TMV when I shopped. I used dealer quotes against each other until I couldn't get the price any lower. It seemed to work for me.
  • deeashdeeash Member Posts: 2
    Folks - I am looking to buy EX-L in Dallas area. TMV price shows 20,173. From a couple of offers I've recieved, the lowest is 20,880. Thoughts on this price.
    Could I go lower than TMV ? I will use the cheap (0.9 APR) financing.
  • bseshanbseshan Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Can you tell me whether it is Automatic 4 door Sedan?

I am doing research in buying 2010 Honda Civic LS, 4 door sedan. This is the best price that I have ever seen. Is that possible to get .9% honda financing going on for this price?

Appreciate your reply.
    Thanks