Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xyraxyra Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Congrats on the deal. What did Dublin Honda offer for the 2010 civic LX 5A? I assume you have a sedan. Also did you buy on the last day of the month?

Concord, Hayward, and Winter quote prices 1000 or more than others. They all keep calling and emailing to ask what I thought about the price. I emailed Winter that they were way too high, and they came back with their "lowest price offered all year" and dealer taking a "1000 negative deal." I replied they were still 500 higher than the best, and never heard from them again.
  • allawallaw Member Posts: 15
    Yes I have a sedan, Dublin's offer was $200 higher and no trade-in. We went 10/3, originally going to take the offer from Dublin, but at the last minute got a call from Oakland saying they could go lower so we went there.

During my research I noticed that Honda has a $1000 marketing rebate for dealers so I mentioned that to Concord and the manager immediately said they're not going to give out money reserved for the owners and go below invoice. They offered me $400 over invoice. But I don't understand how NJ ppl can get 14700 for the same car.
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2010
    Following are the email offers i have received so far for Civic in my area.

2010 LX AT - $19110 Drive out price. Extras are tint at $299 and the Honda Protection Package for $999.
    2010 LX-S AT - $19695 Drive out price. extra equipment on car includes cargo tray, mud flaps and door edge guards
    2010 LX AT - $15470 + Destination + Extras if applicable + TTL.
    2010 LX AT - $15784.00 plus TT&L.

I also received $21000 drive out price for Accord 4dr LX AT.
  • xyraxyra Member Posts: 2
    Concord's owner/manager is a d**k. I told him about the 14700 offers and he says thats less than he pays for them, and he doesn't believe the offer, saying its prob the VP, not LX. But he was also fishing for the dealer making the offer. I just said thanks and left.

The NJ prices seem to be without destination. Usually when prices are quoted on the forum, destination is included. Tax and dmv license and dealer add ons vary locally and are not used in comparing prices.

Might go to a dealer when i visit LA. Got lower prices there, but still above the magic 15000 mark.
  • scoobie3scoobie3 Member Posts: 9
    Re: one of the 14,800is offer I received, it seems that was a lowball.. one dealership wants me to come in and work out "the details" and won't quote me a FINAL price in e-mail PRIOR to me coming into the dealership..

It seems that it was too good to be true - so maybe your dealer was not lying as other dealers I showed gave me same WTF response.. Prices seem to be around 15500's or so as others have noted.
    Do you think $15750 + TTL is a good price for Civic LX. This is the least quote i have received in my area.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Sounds very good. Is this without destination?

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

How is $17,300 Final OTD for NJ?

I see some prices quoted lower below (ie NY at $17,101 and VA at below $17k both OTD prices)

Should I wait until end of month to get a better deal or are the 2010 inventory basically dwindling so I should move fast for my color (per dealer of course)..

How large is the 2010 inventory so that I can wait until Halloween (end of month) to make a new offer so they can meet their quotas and price lower? Thanks
    That is including destination. But these cars might have some extras added. If we do not want to pay for it, they are ready to remove it. May be we can bargain for some extras and see if they can give something.
    I think most dealers still has quite a few 2010 civics left. If you are looking for LX, it's very likely that they may still have them by the end of month, but you might have to pick your second choice color. A dealership I went to only has 6 2011 models so they are only starting to come in. [Scoobie3] you should ask dealership's inventory to have a better idea of whether you might be able to get a better deal by months end. But I think most dealers are just trying to get rid of their old cars at this point.
    The only extra that came with my Civic LX 5A sedan is the protection package which includes the strip at door edges and wheel well edges and they charge $485. Which I think is totally excessive, you can get that plastic thing for probably $30. The only think I miss on the car is remote opening of the trunk, only EX or higher models get to have that.
    Good points allaw,

However as Im sure you know most dealers I ask will tell me yes I have the LAST 2010 LX in that color in order to force me to move, can't blame them though that's how the marketing game works - so I never really get a real answer except for final OTD price..

may I ask what your OTD price for the LX sedan was and what state you're in? PS I don't want any options on mine. Thanks again.
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    I totally agree with you. The dealers prices with installation is out of control on the extras. The door edge guards to me are useless. The doors are so small I never hit anything. You can usually get a better price on add ons from another dealer or buy online and do it yourself. I did the mudflaps and cargo mats way cheaper then letting them do it. I'm all for people making a profit but please be reasonable....
    I to miss the remote trunk release on the FOB and the audio on the steering wheel.
    edited October 2010
    I got my LX Auto at Dublin Honda at the end of May for 15150. They ended up being the cheapest beating Oakland by 150 dollars. I didn't have a trade to deal with so that made it easier. I do go to Oakland Honda for service.
    nice price man, what was your Final out-the-door price on it..
    LX AUTO for $15150 (+TTL) is a very good deal. Best price i got is $15750 + TTL.
    just an update I got the $14,709 price for LX sedan (w/out $750 destination).. final OTD came to $17,190 in NJ.. gluck to all.
    OTD was 16973 give or take a couple of dollars.
  • ethan1205ethan1205 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Can anyone explain to me why are so many people post so many good prices on here and what dealer they were getting the car from but when I call and meet them , they all said that all of you are FAKE ? I dont see why would you guys lie about this ? I even get many quotes thru out 2 months from Spreen Honda with $ 15,000- 15,285 . Now that I call them they said that they out of 2010, after 2 days they still can't locate any more 2010 . All dealer around Orange coutny said for an LX Sedan aleast over 16,000 +TTL. Can someone help me pin point What Dealer - Sale Person name, and What is the best current price in So Cal. We have a 10 months old son and my old car just brake down so I need a new car quick. Thank you ver much for your help.
    I think a lots of these offered are fake just to get you in, because I get the same offered 15,285 but when I call them they said they out of the cars !! I love to hear from the real person in here who just buy a car within a month or two but then the dealer would like oh " we dont know could they het that price " . they'll say 16,500 after the $1000 incentive they give awaay. I really dont where to listen or how to deal with the dealer. Help anyone . thanks
    hi, I call just up to Dulin Honda and mention your deal and they said that they NEVER have such deal ? I would not mind paying 15,500 but not over 16,000 like they ask.Will you give us the name of your sale man please. thank you so much
  • hokiehatchhokiehatch Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I worked with my girlfriend to purchase a 2011 Civic EX-L sedan (automatic) for her in the Washington, DC area. We worked with a bunch of dealers to get quotes and had a bit of a bidding war at the end (dealers trying to beat each others quotes). She was able to get a silver EX-L for about $19,410 before $100 dealer processing, $750 freight, tax, and tags. The dealer threw in door/fender edge guards and wheel locks for no charge also. Put a good amount down on the car and financed the rest through Honda's financing company at 2.99% over 36 months.
    Hahahaha that is funny. I will scan in my receipt if anyone or dealer wants to see it. Dublin Honda, Internet sales guy initials JJ. I can't give names on here but go to Yelp.com and look up Dublin Honda. His name is in there.
    I bought mine there at the end of May and paid cash so I'm sure it was so low because I didn't do the finance special. I even did dealerrater.com and earned him a 100 bucks. People on here have no reason to lie but it's easy for a dealer to paint that picture.....
  • imscfimscf Member Posts: 34
    You should be able to buy a 2011 LX auto for that price (plus taxes)
  • brimombrimom Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2010 civic LX AT at Spreen Honda on Oct 9 for $15,285(inc destination)so price with tax and license $16,950. My salesperson had to get my civic from victorville dealer since he just sold all the 2010 civic LX . I think right now it's true that the 2010 inventory are really2 low so they cannot locate anymore 2010.
    However, you can try Rock Honda, they quoted me $15,510 (inc. destination) while Spreen quoted me for 15,285.
  • planetzadokplanetzadok Member Posts: 1
    Brand new 2010 Civic LX sedan, auto, grey. $16K OTD. Cash. Concord, NH. This was after a significant amount of discussion first by chat on the dealer's site, then telephone chats and emails with the very nice Internet sales lady. After we got below Edmund's invoice and recommended pricing scheme, it was open season as I had no idea where the bottom was. I still really don't know, but judging by the final dynamics I think if I had pressed it further, I would have been told to "get lost." Dropping final $300 to get to the even $16K OTD price was a little tough. I had to agree to come right in, write a check and take the car away.

Bear in mind this was a cash deal; no financing, no trade, no test drive. You will read that paying cash is not good leverage, but this is true only when there is a financing kickback. There is no kickback at <1% interest rate. I've been putting money aside for several years to do this and am quite happy with the result. We were treated well at the dealership when we came in to close the deal. 4-5 years from now, I'll probably be back to try the same gig.
    Hi scoobie3, sorry that I haven't come back to this forum for a while. Got the car from Oakland Honda. I believe the OTD was 17500, but seems like lots of ppl are able to below that price now. When I got to the dealership it was almost 8pm and they had the car waiting for us in the showroom. But after a quick test drive the brake light kept showing on so they had to locate a different one from the lot, and yes it is the same silver color. Overall, it's a superb buying experience from them, the sales person actually called us a couple times after the sale for follow up.
    jamtracy:
    The deal you got back in May was unbelievable. I was practically directed to the door when I mentioned below invoice at Honda of Concord. Prices from Dublin was close but we were initially greeted by a new agent that doesn't know much about pricing, its the temp manager (friend of owner) that was dealing with us and he gave us a really low trade-in for our car.
    edited October 2010
    Oh I agree with you. They don't always or can't always give the same deal to everyone. I probably was buying at the right time. Not to mention Oakland Honda was dealing for my business as well. Everyday they just kept lowering the price. When I was happy with it I pulled the trigger. But I would have never have done so well without this site.
  • sasha218sasha218 Member Posts: 2
    Two days ago I received Internet quote $ 15,300 for Civic Sedan LX Auto from Castle Honda (Chicago, IL). The total price, which included everything, was $17816 (Dest,tax, doc fee, license plate...)
    When I came to buy this car yesterday, salesperson said, that $1000 rebate was included in this price. If I want to buy this car with low 0.9 % he must add $1000 to the price. OR I must choose other options of finance with 4% or more (my credit score more than 730). Finally, for same reason, I bought the car with low (0.9 %) finance - (I had trade-in car)
    Today I checked all Honda's sites and didn't find any rebate for any Honda's cars. Was it the fraud? OR It usually is doing every salesperson? Do I have any way to receive this $1000 back :( ?
  • glenoneglenone Member Posts: 1
    I was looking for a 2010 Civic LX sedan for my daughter. Thanks to the posts on Edmund's I got a very good idea about prices. That's where I found references to Spreen Honda. They had without question the best prices I could find. While I was trying to find a similar price at a closer dealer they sold out of the sedan. It's true these cars are still around at other dealers, but they all wanted a lot more money which is why they still have inventory. Anyway, I decided to go for an LX coupe instead. I negotiated a price of $15,300 plus tax and license. I dealt with Thomas Humphreys on the internet and by phone. Outstanding to deal with. Low key and no baloney. The dealership is about 75 miles from my house and I was still thinking this has to be too good to be true, but after checking their internet ratings I decided to take a chance. They even offered take a deposit so they would not sell the car until I could get there the next day. There was only one left in the color wanted. (I wish I had done it on the sedan. Oh well...) Anyway, this was the best car buying experience I ever had. I was in an out with the car in 2 hours including test drive. If they have what you want in stock this is definitely the place to go.
  • sasha218sasha218 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to say I was talking about Civic LX Sedan 4 doors AUTO 2010, not 2011
  • sparkxsparkx Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

I will be moving to NoVA from out of state soon and I am planning on buying a Honda Civic LX within the next one month or so.

I have been researching prices online and have found this forum very informative.

I understand that in NoVA the out of the door price may include: price of the car + tax + registration fee + doc or processing fee + freight. Have I missed anything?

Is it correct that the tax in Virgina is 5%?

How much would be the registration fee?

Since VA has no cap on doc fee (learned from this website), how much should I expect to pay? I have seen a fee of $359 mentioned in one of the dealerships' website (Fairfax Honda, I think).

I have no idea about freight charges. Are they negotiable?

Finally, how much should I expect to pay in all for a Honda Civic LX manual if I buy it in NoVA in a few weeks time? And, oh, which dealerships are recommeneded?

Thanks.
    PS: I know I can get a price quote from various dealerships. But I don't have an address there yet. I will request quotes as soon as I know where I am going to live.
  • auto240205auto240205 Member Posts: 7
    That was good deal. But you didn't pay any tax, did you?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I think the tax on cars in VA is 3%..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• php23php23 Member Posts: 1
    was looking for a sedan civic lx called a few places and got a great deal from spreen honda, ca and it was a smooth buying experience. got a price of 15285 + lic and tax. recommend them dealt with Vu.
  • km_626km_626 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at the same car now. I've seen prices quoted from 15.5 all the way up to 18k. Alot of dealers are saying 2010 models are not on the lots and are pushing the 2011 models. I don't believe them. Check out Landmark Honda, Tysons and Fairfax Honda. If you have already driven the model, instead of being hounded on the show room floor, you can contact their internet sales rep to quote you a price before you even go over.

Additional Fees:
    Sales or use tax - 3%, Registration $40 - $65, Plate Transfers about $2, Additional processing fees, vary ($100 + most of the time)
    Just bought it at the end of Oct. I was expecting to buy 2010 but thd dealer offered me 2011 model. I traded in old car apprased $500 at carmax. I paid $16500 OTD with old tag in MD which has 6% sales tax rate. So I am thinking I paid $17000 which is still good deal.
    I really appriciate their hard work for me. I huged him many times. The dealer doesnot want me to recommend him to my friends with this price. Don't get me wrong. It was cash deal and no reason to lie.
  • vzbeevzbee Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Just wanted to share my buying experience last Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010. I was looking for a 2010 Honda Civic LX Sedan A/T. I have been talking to dealers via e-mail here in the Northern Virginia area. The lowest offer was $17,000 out-the-door price. Not a lot of dealers still had the Atomic Blue color that my daughter wanted.

With the help of searches here in Edmunds.com, I found Northwest Honda in Owings Mills, MD...yes that's about 60 miles away. I checked out their inventory and they still had a few in Atomic Blue. I requested for a quote late Friday night and received it Saturday morning. I could not believe the out-the-door price of $15,815, over $1,100 savings! A few more e-mails with Michelle Makel to confirm the price and we were out driving towards Baltimore with an open mind. Oh heck, if it did not pan out, we'll charge it to experience.

This is the best car buying experience so far. We got there after 1PM, test drove two Civics, and was driving back with our new car before 4PM. We did not get any financing and no trade-in. Even the finance guy was pretty straightforward. When we told him that we did not want extended warranty, he just said he is surprised that we did not want it but did not press us any further.

Thanks Edmunds.com. We got much of our information from this site and the savings realized can't be beat.
    $15,815 FINAL OTD!!???

Holy crap that's the best I've seen. I'm still happy but kicking myself for not waiting until month end (figured polished metal would run out).

Quick question, is MD car sales tax 6%? If so, great deal GJDM.
    It is a great deal but I think he lives in VA which has 3% on car buying. But still good deal.
  • spider210spider210 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I was offered 19,200 for 2011 civic 2dr coupe ex 5 speed is this a good price? Thats including the dealer fees and destination charge just not the tax

i think they said with tax and new plates 21,025 otd
    Considering in May 2010 I got a 2010 LX Coupe auto for 15150 I would say wait for a few months. The prices will come down. But you didn't say the model. So an EX-L for this price is pretty good. Or an EX w/Navi. Good luck.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2010
    Since you said it's a 5-speed (manual), I'm assuming it's just the regular EX Coupe we're talking about. The EX with NAV and EX-L only come with Automatic Transmission for 2011.

The sticker price is $20,355 (including destination) and invoice price is listed as $18,807. Edmunds is showing True Market Value (TMV) price of $19,540, but CarsDirect has it for $18,987 and TrueCar.com has it for $18,604. BUT keep in mind that I got these prices for my zip code (Atlanta area) and they can vary from one state/city to another. So it looks like $19,200 isn't a bad price (in my area), but some negotiation could lower the price by a few hundred dollars more. Where are you located?

Determining whether $21,025 OTD is a great deal isn't as simple and requires a little more information...

$21,025 is $19,200 plus another $1825. The key thing is to be sure that ONLY the sales tax and legitimate state tag/title fees are included in that $1825! What is the sales tax rate in your area?

One other thing- Honda has a low APR financing incentive for 'qualified' customers. It's 0.0% for 24-36 months or 1.9% for 60 months. If you decide to buy, you should definitely ask about this and see if you can qualify. It's a great deal on top of a great deal!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • pdponyx1pdponyx1 Member Posts: 2
    I was originally going to get an LXS through Spreen Honda, but it was sold the day before I was going to the dealership. The dealer has been trying to help me locate the car, but I contacted other dealers as well, but for the 2010 LX sedan, automatic. They are selling out of them so I recommend going soon.

Most of the quotes were from $16,000-$16,500. Last night I sent a request to Norm Reeves Honda of West Covina and was quoted $14,906 +TTL. My OTD was $16,556 in CA with 8.75% sales tax.

It was a very quick process because I didn't use their financing. The only thing the finance lady tried to sell me was their alarm. The longest part was waiting for the car to get washed.

I wanted the Polished Metallic, but they only had Atomic Blue and Urban Titanium so I ended up with the Urban Titanium.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to interview a recent carbuyer who considered new and used, and decided on new because the deal was better. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Nov 17, 2010 with your brief story and your daytime contact info.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• marcelmethmarcelmeth Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone has an opinion?

I am looking at a new Automatic 2011 Civic EX

Dealer near Boston Massachusetts is offering me an Out-the-door price of $18,440.

I am willing to travel a bit.

Is that a good price? What interest rate should I be able to get from the dealer?

• pdponyx1pdponyx1 Member Posts: 2
    Not a fan, the back at first glance reminds me of the older Camry's or a Fusion with the lights. The front is not that bad. It doesn't wow me.
  • klalitaklalita Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

A dealer is offering me $19000 out the door for 2011 Civic LX-S.

Is that a good price to close the deal?

Any info will be appreciated.

Lalita
  • nely4nely4 Member Posts: 1
    I had a dealer out here in Boston down to $17000 for a silver Lx-s. However, I decided to go with a 2010 LX leftover for $14788.