Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mocsdnumdemocsdnumde Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am new here. Want to buy a 2004 Civic VP 4D sedan auto without side airbags. The quote I got is $12,700(including destination charges) +TTL +dealer processing fee($99). My questions are:

1. Is this a good deal? Can any people give any tips on this? I knew somebody on this board got $12,610 on this.
    2. Do I really need to pay the dealer processing fee? I think I should not.
    3. I tried to negotiate, but the dealer held it firm. They claimed that they even lost $120 on this price?

Thank you very much!
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    It depends on the dealer. I did not have this fee when I purchasded mine. For me, I don't care how much the dealer lost or gain. I only care how much I can save. If they hold it firm for this fee, ask them to give you the same value of accessories. Good Luck!
  • cms5cms5 Member Posts: 6
    I had a 15660.00 quote on an '04 2dr ex 5spd w/o side airbags. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    I don't know what the actual price of a two door is. But the sedan, ex, 5 sp. dealer wholesale cost is 15,775. I walked out the door at 16,265. I had another offer for 16 flat but I liked this dealer and wanted to build a relationship for service. And...I needed it soon and they had one in stock.

Your price is a good one. Check Edmund's pricing service. You will see.

marc
  • cms5cms5 Member Posts: 6
    Thx for the input Marc. I purchased an 04 mag 2dr ex 5 spd w/o side airbags. I purchased the car from Cleo Bay Honda in Killeen tx. I made the deal with the internet sales manager. The experience was awesome and the deal was great as well. They gave me $1000.00 more for my trade than anyone else would and they gave me the car for $15,700.00. It would have been $100.00 less, but they had to locate it and bring it to the dealership. I hope im half as satisfied with the car as I am with the dealership experience. I highly recomend dealing with Cleo Bay honda if you live in the central texas area. I drove from Austin and saved $1000.00 plus a lot of hassle.

chris
  • dean1dean1 Member Posts: 1
    I need some opinions:

2001 Civic LX with:
    Leather,a 6 CD changer and 78,000.
    My mechanic says its in very good condition.
    Price approximately $10K I will need to get a new oil pan and shocks, but otherwise its a clean looking car. Came off a lease-

OR

2000 EX with 29,000 miles- Black w/cloth interior no options. Also about $10K

Need feedback

Thanks!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The 2001, is a 3 year old car with 7 years of mileage. Although Honda are pretty good with milage, it is a little overpriced for the mileage. Whoever leased that car must have paid through the nose on the overmileage fees. 42,000 miles x $0.15 = $6300 by lease end.

The 2000, was a better car. First off EX is loaded to the gills, so it did not need options. The 2000 was the last year Honda Civic had the double wishbone suspension front and back. The mileage is a little low, I would be a little suspicious of that. But, again it is way overpriced for the year. You could get a 2003 LX for $12-13 last fall, that is a brand new car with a new car warranty.

Edmunds Used car guide shows both as being $10,000 with change. See if the dealership can sell either one as "Certified Used" that way you get some warranty.
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I would get a new Civic if my budget is $10,000. Personally, I will not buy a lease car. Many people who lease a car don't taking care of it. "Bad break-in" = "short life"
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Modern cars don't require much of a "break in".

A lot of decnet buys on off lease cars out there.

Of course, if you are scared, then a new one will give better peace of mind I suppose.
  • tony1034tony1034 Member Posts: 32
    I just gotta love this website. Just picked up a brand new 2004 civic EX with automatic trans, MSRP $18,550, invoice $16,994......and I paid $16,253.02 ($740.98 under invoice) plus $198 for registration and doc fees. Total out the door $16,451.02 (plus tax).

:)

Thank You Edmunds and the posters here.

Tony P.
  • richard1richard1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 ex Auto with a pinstrip at the end of February for $16,000 FLAT. Worked hard over the internet and had a painless final sale at the dealership. Wait until the end of the month and shop many dealers via the internet. They will meet and beat other prices.
  • foxinessfoxiness Member Posts: 1
    Got a email from a Acura Dealer and she was advertising a New Civic 2003 LX leftover for $11,500, is this a good deal?
  • dtox666dtox666 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone had any luck negotiating the price of accessories?

The dealerships seem to have no problem dropping the price below invoice on the car without me even saying anything, but they're holding firm on the price of the accessories.
  • gumlygumly Member Posts: 1
    I live in Chicago, have found a couple of 2001 Civics, both manufacturer certified, at a local dealer (castle honda) that I find more soft-sell than others.

LX, beige, 35K miles, asking $10949, TMV is 11896, it's been on the lot for 3 months.

They also just got an EX, black, 27.5 miles, asking $13459, TMV is $13812.

As a first time car buyer, I am told that Honda will make a serious effort to get me as a customer and offer the 4.9 APR for financing. Has anyone had problems? My credit history is positive but thin.

What should my offer be? Any red flags?
  • yoonakawrnyoonakawrn Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I am currently looking at the Honda Civic EX Coupe. This will be the first new car I purchase on my own, and I don't want to end up being taken for a sucker. The only car purchasing expirience I've had was when I purchased a used car during college (my parents bought my first car and helped co-sign for my second).

This is my first NEW car purchasing expirience. SO, I'm a little (okay, very) inexpirienced with this type of negotiation. To me, it's a whole new ballgame.

I've checked Edmunds for the Invoice($16,635) & TMV ($16,695) prices. I'm still shopping around. I don't plan on buying for a few months yet (ideally in the fall).

But I was wondering what type of deals people in the Nash. TN area are getting on cars of this type?

Any pointers on other sites that can keep me up to date on incentives for the dealers and what accessory prices should be instead of the dealer markup?

Thanks so much!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Welcome! I'll let the members from the Nashville area help you on price of the car. Regarding accessories - click on the H&A ad at the top of the screen and price your accessories there. That's what I did when I bought my Honda and purchased them from H&A v. the dealer. It was cheaper, even with shipping.

Remember when you go to get a price quote - use email, tell them you want FACTORY INVOICE quoted not dealer invoice (that will have all of the dealer add-ons such as pinstripes for example). When you email, tell them you want a quote on the vehicle and don't want any dealer add-ons.

Be sure and read our 10 Steps to Buying a New Car.
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/78386/article.html?- tid=edmunds.a.landing.buying..2.*

Good luck and welcome once again.
  • wtyyipwtyyip Member Posts: 6
    My dealer in Daly City, CA offered me $13,888 + tax for a Civic LX coupe (automatic), is it a good deal?
  • srocks4srocks4 Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

I'm also price checking. One of the dealers quoted, $12900 + tax + license, this is with side air. Without was 12,640. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Has anyone gotten a better price?

Thanks.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    yoonakawrn, if you can wait until fall, then do. Honda releases new model years around September 15th. This way you can get a good deal on "last year's" model for a discounted price. When shopping make sure you are getting a "real" price and not the "low balling offer only good this second"
    I'd say if you are buying anytime close to september and you are buying a 2004, when 2005s are on dealers lots, you should be insisting on at least $1000 off invoice (not MSRP) www.carsdirect.com would also be a good guide to what real prices are in your area.
    Good luck
    Thank you for the info on getting a good quote and price on accessorires. I visited the H&A and it does look like buying from there would be significantly cheaper than from the dealer(especially after all their "add-on" prices I'm sure they'd try to get). It would help get rid of a some of the hassle and hidden charges. =)
    Right now I'm trying to see how open to dealing the Honda dealers are around me, or if they're real stcklers.Thanks for the link!
    Hi Blueiedgod,

I was hoping to wait until around October/November before I started making serious inquiries to dealers for pricing. Right now I'm just trying to get my bearings and bone-up on information for the dealing (go Edmunds!). This is the first car I plan on purchasing without "Daddy" holding my hand along the way. So, I want all my ducks in a row, so to speak. Thank you for the link. I'll go check it out. And thanks for the ballpark figure on a price to insist on. I only had a vague idea of what I should be asking for. I don't want to have an unrealistic expectation of them, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of by them.

Thanks again!
  • mattmann23mattmann23 Member Posts: 3
    As usual this is dominated by american prices. Anyone out there purchased a LX or SE version in Canada? How much? They seem to have good deals now since they are competing with the Mazda 3....
  • jrock80jrock80 Member Posts: 66
    I am looking at a 5 speed coupe w/o side airbags with Foglights and Rear Spoiler for $16,700 + 2.9% Honda Financing. Is that a good deal?
  • fractus2fractus2 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings everyone. I've been shopping for a Civic as I will retire from the U.S. Navy in a week or so and plan to buy this car upon arrival Henderson, Nevada. This is the offer that resulted after going back and forth with the internet sales representative:

$16,223.57
    $626 Dealer Fees
    $299 Honda Security System
    $1,351.43 Tax
    $18,500 Total Price

I'm not sure why the tax is so high if Nevada state sales tax is 6.5 percent. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • fayfay Member Posts: 7
    yoonakawrn, if you are buying your Civic in Nashville TN, my suggestion to you is: do NOT buy it at Crest Honda!
    I bought a 2004 Civic there in late Feb. Very unpleasant experience. You will find my posts on the "Honda Civic Owners: Problems & Solutions" board. The problem is still not solved as of today.
    Believe me you don't want to be treated the way I was, after paying $14-$15k. Go to another dealer in Franklin or somewhere else. You may need to drive a little farther but you can expect better service.
  • samjsamj Member Posts: 24
    I helped a friend negotiate on a Civic today. Here's the deal:

2004 Civic Coupe EX Auto w/o side air bags
    Magnesium Metallic
    $15,705 - roughly $1,000 below invoice
    price included Honda floor mats, wheel locks, and mud guards
    2.9APR

I'm happy for her, but pissed that I paid $1,000 more when I bought my Civic on Jan 2003. I got the 1.9APR, but the savings in price my friend got more than offsets the lower apr I got. I also paid extra for all the accessories she got. Plus, the 2004 looks way more sleek, has better tires, and is quiter than the previous years.
    Greetings. Can someone tell me if I'm using the TMV price correctly (have browsed through some of this thread with no luck)?

I took the TMV for an 04 EX 4dr AT for NV: 16,930. The "how we calculate TMV" pop up states that it does not take into account m-c rebates, tax/title, or license/registration fees.

I'm figuring about $80.00 below TMV (price + dealer fees). Did I do this correctly?

$16,223.57
    $626 Dealer Fees
    $299 Honda Security System
    $1,351.43 Tax
    $18,500 Total Price

This is what I negotiated through internet sales. Is this a good price?
  • holden30holden30 Member Posts: 3
    What would you consider the absolute rock bottom price on a Honda Civic LX Sedan w/ Auto transmission? After many dealer visits and a lot of Edmunds research, I'd like to get this car for $14,500 + TTL here in SoCal. What do you think?
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    I say $14,700. If you can get it for less you have done real well. Good luck!
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    The car invoices for $16,994 including destination. Subtract $400 for the Honda incentive to the dealer and add back in $299 the security system. If you shop around you should be able to buy the car for around $16,800. Just add your state tax, tag and title fees.
    Hi Fay,

I'm sorry that you had such an unpleasant expirience when buying your car. I may use Crest for getting a low quote to be matched by another dealer, but I will definitely steer clear of them for the deal. Thanks for the heads up on them. The actual dealer that I'm leaning towards is in Franklin. Darrell Waltrip Honda/Volvo. They "said" they will beat whatever lower offer I get. So we shall see.

Thanks again!
  • tyster100tyster100 Member Posts: 1
    Got a good experience at Honda in Scottsdale. Quoted $14,279 and $15,948 otd for a Civic LX Coupe Automatic. I was a little worried, since my dad was with me and he tends to get aggravative during selling negotiations. He's been a salesman in retail for 25 years, so he does or think he knows how a deal should go through. However, I got the quote from a Fleet Manager and was basically a no-hassle purchase. He handled everything from showing the car, looking at other models, the financing (we paid in cash, but looked at the 2.9% financing), paperwork, and all the other details. The car was hundreds of dollars less than two other places I looked at so we bought here.

He was very courteous and knowledgeable, patient with looking at diferent colors and a test drive. I was surprised my dad easily accepted the price and went through the deal with no problems. My dad did briefly try to negotiate the price, but it was a good price already, not too sure if we could've went down since it was through Fleet. The whole process took about an hour and a half and only took that long because my parents were indecisive about colors and the model. Also, another Fleet Manager was great in helping us out too with our purchase.

Much better than the experience last Friday at another Honda dealership and a Toyota dealership we went to. The other Honda dealership was ok, but we went through sales, so it was the typical haggling, but the Toyota people didn't even acknowledge us when we got there. Had to get a salesperson, then they were very pushy with sales. The sales manager seemed very 'slick' and tried some sleazy tactics which made my dad storm out of the dealership.

Anyways, great price and great service. No hassle. Anything that makes my dad happy is great by me. I'll probably go back to the same dealership when I purchase my car within a year.
    Fractus2,

Most of your deal seems pretty fair (at least to me), however, the one thing that stands out most to me are the Dealer Fees. Did you ask the dealer what those fees included? You may want to check that out and make sure there aren't any weird charges. I have a Honda Dealership I'm talking with to get all the details. When he gave me a quote, he quoted me the invoice of the car and wanted me to make an offer with a reasonable profit for them. (I'm not going to do that, I want them to lay down the first number, because I think Invoice is bogus anyway. I know there's a 3% holdback for Hondas). That aside, he mentioned that there would be dealer fees, along with tax,title,license. When I inquired about the fees mentioned (I thought for sure I'd get some bogus number.) He quoted me $289 and he insured me that there were no other fees he was negating when quoting me that figure. He listed what those fees are actually for, instead of thinking I should just accept the figure without wondering. Did your guy do the same for you? I just think almost 700 additional dollars is him adding a little cushion on because he offered you a decent price on the car. The number he gave may be valid, it may not. But it wouldn't hurt to check if you haven't already.
    yoonakawrn,

Here is what he replied when asked what the dealer fees covered:

"Standard dealer fees, like buying a house. The breakdown is $399 Documentation; $199 VTR (Vehicle Theft Registration); $28 Title Fee."

He now backed out of the Honda security system in the deal. He says that "we have not mentioned the security system for a while now" and is adamant in dropping it. I was/am pretty p'd. But what can I do? I fly/drive there next Thursday and I think I let go too much information in giving him my itinerary, which I did as a good faith to let him know that I was serious.

I plan on going with this deal though. I will print out all of the e-mails where he reneged on the $299.00 system and speak with his supervisor.

Wish me luck!
  • holenone79holenone79 Member Posts: 20
    The first civic I bought was for my daughter after she wrecked her hyandai. Its a lx coupe automatic for 14k plus ttl. (no side airbags)

The second civic was for my wife. EX auto sedan with wheel locks, trunk tray, and splash guards. $16,100 plus ttl.

Everyone knows about the $400 rebate money and holdback. There is additional money going to the dealer. However, no one really knows exactly how it works and how much. Can anybody tell me---for sure? It must be substantial if so many dealers are so anxious to drop to $1000 below invoice so quickly.
    I started shopping around after the internet sales reneged on the security system out of the deal and lo and behold, in comes a sweeter offer from a different dealer:

EX - $16,294.33
    Fees - $617
    Tax - $1222.07
    Total - $18133.40

I'm going with this guy.
    Well, in my research (lol) I found that Honda has about a 3% holdback on the invoice of the car. So they already have about $540 built into the price of an EX Civic Coupe for them. That may be part of the reason. That and I *think* if their Civic Sales exceed a certain number they get $800 per Civic instead of just $400.
  • qbanspiceqbanspice Member Posts: 5
    Well, let me tell you my story...

...On February 24, 2004, I was in an accident on the Santa Ana Freeway (or Golden State Freeway if you live north of Los Angeles). My car was totalled. I was considering a new Civic or Corolla as a replacement.

After carefully examining both cars, I decided that the the Civic was the better choice for me.

I used my Auto Club membership, Edmunds.com and various dealer websites to get a quote. I got some low internet specials, but the stipulation was that I had to buy the car within 72 hours. A few weeks back, however, I went to test drive a car at Santa Ana Honda (a.k.a. "Happy Honda") by the 55 Freeway in the Orange County area. I told the salesman that I would consider a deal below invoice only. I gave him my cell phone number so that he could keep me posted on any forthcoming deals. I was certainly not ready to buy a car at that time. In fact, I figured that I would have to wait a few more months before I could actually buy a new car.

This past Saturday (April 17, 2004), I got a call from "Happy Honda." They said they were having a special deal on all Civics. Anyway, my mother and I went there yesterday to see.

I was looking pretty ghetto and tired, because I had to get up earlier than usual on a Sunday. But I was prepared for battle. I am a 26-year-old female, but I look about 20 or younger. I figured I would have a hard time getting a good deal. There was a point where I was unsure of myself, but I was armed with my mother's Experian credit score of 690 and I knew I would be fine (my credit is not that great).

My mother left me alone at the dealership and I talked with the salesman. I said that I had $1,000 for a down payment. I wanted to pay below invoice for the car or I would go to another dealer (according to Edmunds, the invoice price for a Civic LX coupe is $14,589). I also wanted an APR of 2.9 percent.

To make a long, long story short, I got what I wanted. The price of the car was $14,400 (not including tax, license and financing fees), which is $189 below the stated invoice amount. I offered them $1,000 as a down payment. I am currently financing my Civic at 2.9 APR for $264.15 a month for 5 years.

I am sure that there is a chance that I may have been ripped off somewhere, but I suppose they need to make a profit too. I honestly did not think that I could pull it off because I am a very young-looking female. Ultimately, it only took me about ten minutes to negotiate the deal.

True, I used my mother's credit because mine is bad, but I think things worked out in my favor.

Needless to say, I am very happy with my Honda from "Happy Honda."
  • tony1034tony1034 Member Posts: 32
    fractus2,

I just picked up a brand new 2004 Civic EX w/o side air bags and with automatic trans, MSRP $18,550, invoice $16,994......and I paid $16,253.02 ($740.98 under invoice) plus $198 for registration and doc fees. Total out the door $16,451.02 (plus tax). The car comes with the floor mats, but they also threw in a $80 set of wheel locks for free.

I think you're getting hammered on the fees there. The only fees I paid were for title, reg and doc fees of $198. I'm in NJ too (NJ sucks for getting deals ...LOL)

Good luck and don't let them take ya. Be firm!

As for accessories, don't buy them from the dealer. You can get any of the Honda accessories at nearly half the price online. I also have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. I wanted the trailer tow package. The dealer wanted $880. I bought it online for $430 shipped to my house and then paid the same dealer 1-1/2 hours labor to install it :)

Tony P.
    So I've heard $14,279 - $14,400 + TTL for a Honda Civic LX Coupe. But what about for a 2004 Honda Civic LX SEDAN? Are coupes typically cheaper than Sedans?
  • timmernatortimmernator Member Posts: 12
    ...for $16845 OTD (including wheel locks, pinstriping & moonroof visor, 6% tax and all fees) - this sound good?
  • nepenthenepenthe Member Posts: 1
    I just got a quote from I bet the same dealer (Shackfindlay??)
    Their sales tax is 7.5% I was told, which on 17148.57 should be $1286.14 or $65.29 less than you paid. ??? I'd ask for it back. What kind of theft system do they use?
  • demoniclizarddemoniclizard Member Posts: 8
    I noticed everyone here is talking about new cars but the title didn't specically say new cars so...

I just bought a used 2000 black civic ex coupe for 10,675. It has just under 40,000 miles and came with no warranty. Everything about the car checked out. A few scratches here and there, paint had been peeled off about a square inch on the side molding and the dealer agreed to have them repaint the entire molding right there. Its a five speed and not an automatic by the way...

Good deal?
  • qbanspiceqbanspice Member Posts: 5
    Hey holden30! According to Edmunds, the sedan is $14,771 invoice (without side-impact airbags). So I guess Civic sedans do cost more than Civic coupes. Generally - though not always - coupes cost more than sedans, because they are considered "sporty."

There is one thing I should point out about the Civic coupe, however. You may be able to save a few hundred dollars at the dealership, but you will pay a bit more for it in insurance premiums (at least in California).

You may want to research the Civic LX sedan online before you buy it.
    Well, I ended up buying my Civic (w/o side airbags) for 14,500 + TTL w/ 2.9% APR. Any comments? It took a couple of days, but I think it's a pretty decent deal.
  • gabbyworldgabbyworld Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,

I just bought a 2004 honda civic Ex Sedan with a wing spoiler for $16,100. However, with the fees ($400) & tax (1,200), it comes out to a total of $17,700.00. Did I make a good deal?
  • holenone79holenone79 Member Posts: 20
    It sounds to me like that is a killer deal. The wing spoiler retails for $500.00. I dont know what it cost the dealer.
  • tjno1tjno1 Member Posts: 4
    $14,500 For LX Sedan was a terrific price. Where did you get it? I am living in the NYC area. Does any one know a good honda dealer that would give a good price?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Is this a good price?

The msrp sticker on the 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid v4 sedan with 5 speed manual transmission is $20,140.00.
    The factory invoice cost on that model no.(ES956) is $18,444.73..

The special end of the month purchase price will be - - - - - - - - - - - -
    $18,239.00 sales price
       $1139.94 sales tax .0625
         $181.05 lic, title
             $45.23 inventory tax

Would $16k be a great price on the Ex w/o side airbags.. Just spoke to a dealership who quoted me internet price of $16495, and I told her I wanted to only pay $16K. (Only other charges she said would be tax; 8.625%,new license fee;$158.00,and NY tire tax of $12.50.)

Do you think I am better off shooting for $17k OTD, or will dealers think I am out of my mind?

Any recommendations for dealerships in the area?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Gerri