Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    That pic is the 2010 Honda City which is more the Fit's size than the Civic. It is not available in the US but is very abundant in Asia.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    darn - I was almost positive this was/is going to be the next Civic - slightly downsized from the current version to meet higher MPG numbers... Personally I don't love this style - but at least its not funky like some of Honda's other designs (aka Crosstour).
  • vortix1vortix1 Member Posts: 22
    I found the following deals available on 2010 Civic LX sedans with automatic transmissions through various dealer Internet departments. These are the absolute lowest prices I could find in each region:
    Boston area: $14,798 + $298 doc fee + $125 registration=$15,221 OTD + tax
    Chicago area: $15,280 + $154 doc fee + $194 registration=$15,628 OTD + tax
    Cleveland area: $15,763 + $250 doc fee + $34 registration=$16,047 OTD + tax

It appears that the Boston area dealers are receiving some sort of special incentive to clear out the 2010 Civics, as they're typically $1k lower than everywhere else. Something similar must be happening in Chicago (on a smaller scale), as they are $500 less than everywhere else. No dealer in the Cleveland area can compete with the Boston or Chicago dealers....the Cleveland dealers practically laughed at me when I asked them to match the others' prices.

Hope others will find this useful! I'll be picking up my new '10 Civic LX tomorrow. Can't beat the price combined with the 0.9% financing!
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    edited November 2010
    The LX auto here in NY/NJ is selling for $16k but I just got the 2010 Civic LX-S sedan auto from Mahwah Honda NJ for $16,500 plus NY taxes, $199 doc fee and $5 temp license fee and financed it for 0.9% for 60 months. I didn't put any money down so my monthly came out to $312.50. :blush:
  • red1123red1123 Member Posts: 2
    Vortix, can you tell me what dealership in Chicago is quoting that price? That's lower than any I've found (and a lot of them don't seem to have any 2010s left in stock).
  • maraudermickmaraudermick Member Posts: 6
    Those Boston prices sound good, but they're only giving them on the Automatics? I've been looking for a Manual Trans. and having a real hard time finding them.
    That is an awesome story........I wish my dealer shopping here in NJ was that good. I'm still searching for a Civic Ex manual Trans. I actually had a dealer refuse to sell me the car for cash, he wanted me to finance at 8.29%, even though Honda was offering 0.9% !
    As far as I know, it doesn't matter what the Sales Tax is where you buy the car......you have to pay your state's Sales Tax when you register the car and get the title. Is that correct?
    NO....that's not a good price. I got an offer of $18376. on the same exact car, Manual Trans (5 sp.), not including the tax.
    red1123: The Chicago dealer with the low price was Valley Honda in Aurora, IL.

maraudermick: Most dealers only have automatics in stock. I'm sure you could get a similar deal on a manual transmission Civic, though your chances of finding any on dealers' lots is very slim right now. I wanted a manual also (didn't want to pay a premium for the automatic). Though I found the prices were so low on the automatics that I was fine with it.

scoobie3: Most (if not all) states require you to pay your home state's sales tax, regardless of where you purchased the car. This is enforced when you go to register and/or title the car in your home state. You won't get any tax savings from buying out-of-state, though as you can see, you can save money on the purchase price.
  • red1123red1123 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    Thanks to vortix's tip on Valley Honda I was able to get Carr's Honda to match the price of their 2010s on a 2011. I was able to purchase an automatic 2011 Civic LX sedan for 14,776 (plus tax, title, license and doc fees). Total OTD was 16520 (stupid Chicago sales tax!) Everyone was very pleasant to work with and the deal could not have gone more smoothly. I highly recommend Ludovic Perruffel in the internet sales department - he's extremely straightforward and honest.
  • bakalao2kbakalao2k Member Posts: 7
    red1123,

I plan on going out to Valley Honda this week. Can you tell me what model #, color and/or options you chose?

Thanks
    red1123,

I plan on going out to Valley Honda this week. Can you tell me what model #, color and/or options you chose?

Thanks
  • red1124red1124 Member Posts: 1
    I didn't buy from Valley, I bought from Carr's. Last I checked Valley only had 2 2010 LXs left in stock, a black and a blue. Both had dealer installed extras (mud guards, pinstripes, wheel locks, etc.) that would have had to be included in the sale.
  • zzyzxzzyzx Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

I'm in Austin TX and am looking for good experiences, price and customer service wise. Recommendations for dealers and price paid would be appreciated! ;) I'm willing to drive within the state to get the best deal

Thanks!
  • fotomaniak2fotomaniak2 Member Posts: 2
    I highly recommend DCH Academy Honda - the quote I've got from them via e-mail was the lowest (13,594.00 base price + tax + tire tax + DMV + $750 destination + $250 document fee) and their document fee is one of the lowest among the dealerships I've contacted.
    Unlike other sales people, Stephanie Louie (internet manager) from DCH Academy Honda offered very low price up front and e-mailed full quote including all fees.

Other recommended dealerships: Route 22 Honda (you can get them to match low price that you get from other dealership, but it will take some time to negotiate).

Dealerships to avoid:
    1) Planet Honda - they refuse to give full quote over the phone (provide base price, but won't tell you what their document fee is and what other fees they will charge)

2) Open Road Honda - very high document fee ($398)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Dealer-installed accessories such as wheel locks (as well as interior accessories that didn't require installation- upgrade floor mats, cargo net/mats) can be removed as quickly as they went in/on the car. The pinstriping would peel right off and (depending on whether holes had to be drilled to mount the mud guards) they could also be taken off.

It's not the consumer's problem that the dealer decided to add some low-cost/high-profit 'crap' to a specific car! I've ran into this situation every time I've shopped for a new car and I have NEVER paid for a thing I didn't want! With one exception, they've always left the items installed and didn't charge for them. The exception was a 6-CD changer in my '96 Accord, they removed it because I didn't want it and their cost was probably $400+ on it. But mats, stripes, mud guards and the real 'fluff' items like VIN etching and fabric protection, I just pretended like they weren't there and negotiated accordingly.

Don't ever feel obligated to pay for anything you don't want. But don't write off cars with a few frivolous extras either...most dealers aren't willing to lose a sale over something that cost them $40 or less.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • huskyjayboyhuskyjayboy Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm from Los Angeles and I have an offer for $21,168 OTD. Good or bad offer?

Thanks,
  • civiclx2011civiclx2011 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
  • nec213nec213 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Hi, I live in PA, tax rate 6%. Got an offer 2011 Civic Lx sedan auto OTD $18,335.29. Is it good or bad deal? How much I can bargain? Thanks in advance!
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    Well what is the price of the car with destination? Hard to say if it is a good deal since we don't know the sales tax other than the rate and all of the other fees. I'm thinking for this price you should be able to move up to an EX....
    Thanks for reply.destination fee seems to be 750. The invoice price they gave to me was 17,094. What price would you think is good, then? Have no idea how to cut price with dealer...
    hi, I got a new offer 2011 Civic Lx sedan auto OTD $17,600. Does that sound better this time?
    edited December 2010
    Thanks to red1123's tip and vortix, I was able to get a $16,542 OTD offer (stupid Chicago sales tax!) for a 2011 Honda Civic LX auto (no options) from Carr's Honda.

It was a pleasant experience and I also recommend Ludovic Perruffel in the internet sales department. He is genuine and a really good guy.
    WOW....great find red. Glad my info helped. Your price on an '11 LX was $1k lower than the '10 LX that I ended up going with from a Cleveland-area dealer! Now I'm kicking myself for buying in November. Oh well! As they say....hindsight is 20/20! And I still got a good deal overall anyway.
  • zzyzxzzyzx Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I originally was going to purchase a 2011 Honda Civic Lx Sedan AT from Gunn Honda in San Antonio, but they called me up and reneged on their offer less then 24 hours (Dec 27) before my purchase. It's amazing to me that so many dealerships will not evolve and start practicing an ethical business model. Especially since people now have many forums to communicate both positive and negative experiences.

Now on to my current experience with San Marcos Honda. This is the business model that Gunn Honda should be following; honest, ethical and pulled no punches. In fact it was like going into the store to purchase a loaf of bread. Uneventful and no surprises at anytime. I WILL BE BACK!

Overall I'm extremely happy with my current purchase. Back in 2007 I bought a 2007 Civic Lx Sedan AT for just over 20K OTD. At that time Honda could not keep these cars on the lot and I only got $200.00 below MSRP. It's amazing 4 years later I could get the same car for 3K less, but the auto industry is an interesting one.
  • cars16cars16 Member Posts: 10
    It was quite interesting 7days since I decided to go with another civic. I have contacted only via emails with almost 15 dealers in my region (NY, NJ). That range of selection gave me wide understanding to be able to sort out which one is really good or bad.
    Final Purchase at DCH Kay Honda
    Total OTD $16775 (Base Price, NJ 7% TAX, MV $299, Doc fee$249, Tire fee$7.5, Destination fee$750 etc.)
    1.9% finance for 60months.
    Michael Reynolds worked aggressively in last minute. It was smooth at the dealer shop without any surprise.

Good Base Price $ offer (not OTD $) : VIP Honda in NJ, Route 22 Honda, Planet Honda, DCH Academy Honda, Garden State Honda, DCH Kay Honda, Paul Miller Honda of West Caldwell, Plaza Honda in Brooklyn NY.

Recommendable dealer : VIP honda, Route 22 Honda

Dealer to avoid : Garden state Honda ( we have corresponded the most emails to determine the final price. However, after wasting 3 hours at the dealer shop to purchase, they changed words. They have advertised free iPad for new civic purchase but asked me to pay $360 more to to get it. Total gimmicks. But not so bad for iPad purchase.... )

Regarding a Car, it's very good feeling to drive. I am very satisfied.
  • andy139andy139 Member Posts: 1
  • nil22nil22 Member Posts: 20
    Are you serious ? Is the OTD price $16775 ?
  • dkukdkuk Member Posts: 2
    hey guys,

Honda Civic LX (with no options) -- quote for 16700 (excluding 780$ and taxes) .. got the offer today..do you think it is good or there is more that I can bargain here?

Dan
  • leggyleggy Member Posts: 45
    Just bought 2011 Civic sedan LX auto red in So Cal for OTD $17750 ($15850 before T/L and other fees). It ws very easy and smooth deal. Finalized the price through email, which took me less than 2 hours from the time of sending the first quote request until receiving the final offer.
  • hondaownersamhondaownersam Member Posts: 10
    Hi Dan,
    What is the $780 for? destination fee? Plus let me find out the new incentives from the car makers, it just came out today. It a good price but try to bargain a little more. I got a 2010 Honda Civic LX-S for 17,210 OTD price a few month back and I wish I could have taken out the wheel locks it had, I believe it was a 100 hundreds dollars for those wheel locks. However it was a great price at that current time. Criswell Honda in Maryland is where I got it at. Let me know if you need any other help?

Sam
  • pilot2012pilot2012 Member Posts: 1
    what is the new incentive for the pilot??
    I did my search on the Pilot incentives and there are none at this current time. I am speaking in my area of Maryland, VA, and DE.
  • rowsdowerrowsdower Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Hi all.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland and I've been doing some shopping for a 2011 Honda Civic Sedan.

I really want Electronic Stability Control. The problem is, only the most upscale version (EX-L) has it. So I'm trying to shop aggressively to find the best deal for an EX-L. I prefer to buy within the next week, although if I don't find a good deal I might just decide to wait for the 2012 civic, since that should have ESC on all trims.

I've talked to several dealers, and so far the two best OTD offers I've received are $20,955 and $21,024 for the EX-L (no navigation). I'm still waiting for a couple of dealers to get back to me, so this may improve. But as of right now, the best price I've got is around $21,000.

A couple of questions:

1.) Do you think this is a good deal?

2.) What about navigation? It would be an extra $1,800, and I would like to have it. I've read a lot of negative things about the 2010 Civic's nav system and not sure if it's changed since then.

This is my first time experience ever buying a car, so any help & advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
  • tjc30tjc30 Member Posts: 11
    I got the following Drive out quote for a 2011 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A). How do you guys rate it ?

Vehicle Price $18,382.00

Sales Tax $1,148.88

Documentary Fee $189.00

Title Fee $44.50

License Plates $65.80

Inspection Fee $23.75

Full Deputy Fee $5.00

Dealer’s Inventory Tax $41.47

Your Drive out Price $19,836.39
  • dkukdkuk Member Posts: 2
    if its automatic..i'll say its a very good quote.., if its manual, its a good quote as well..u might have 200$ more in dere.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    edited January 2011
    My recommendation is watch your local Honda dealer lots - check them out every 2-3 days as the 2012 Civic launch gets closer (around March-April)... Once the 2012's arrive - dealers should have fire sales on the 2011s as a few should still be laying around.

My partner just bought a 2010 Civic LX automatic sedan for 4300.00 off msrp (last day of November) as the 2011's were arriving.

Anything less than 2500 off when the 2012's have arrived is an insult as far as I'm concerned. As the saying goes - Kick A#S and take names - good luck ! :shades:
  • civicdealscivicdeals Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking I might be able to get a good deal on a 2010 civic right now. There are only 2 dealers so far out of about 5 that have one or two and I would think they would want to be getting rid of them. I also lose a lot of value driving them off the lot at this time of year. If I go to sell it in 5 years they will want to give me the lower price when it is really new -if you follow my thinking.

What would be a good price? I read that someone got a VP for 14277 in July. I would think I could get better than that.

So far the dealer is telling me 16,500 for the LX-S and I first thought that would be good but now think I could get 15K even or less?

Any guesses?

thanks!
  • calif65gmcalif65gm Member Posts: 75
    Hi,

I don't know about remaining 10 Civic's, but today I picked-up a 11 Civic LX-S for $16,875 + tax and license.

I am in N. Calif.

It was a simple transaction, got a lower quote from a dealer further away through Truecar.com/Zag. Told the local dealer the quote to see if they would come close and I would pay a bit more for the convenience of a closer dealer.
  • mabie412mabie412 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market to purchase a 2011 Honda Civic LX sedan in the Northern NJ area. I received a base price offer of $15,600 from one dealer. I am interested in knowing what your base price was and if you'd recommend your dealer. Thanks!
  • punkaj04punkaj04 Member Posts: 2
    Does that include destination? If so, that's a very good price; if not, I think you can shop around and do a bit better.
  • seattlewindseattlewind Member Posts: 2
    $15600 is so good. The offer I got is $16800 (OTD18900). I'm in WA. Is it good?
    @mabie, For the price of $15,600 for a 2011 Honda Civic LX is very good but as mention by another member, ask the question about destination, see if this includes destination charge, which will add about 750 more, more or less, each dealer has about that amount. I not sure which dealer you are speaking of but sound like a very good price for now, just find out about the other charge. Let me know if you any other help.
    @Settlewind, $16800 is not too bad but work it a little more to bring the price down (about 15,900-16,000), even if the dealer is saying it aint making a profit, which is bull. Also it also depends on the install options, what does this honda has install, does it has a sunroof/splash guard/ or tinted windows? Anything like these options install will bring the price up a little more and wouldnt be a bad price. So let me know what the Civic has install?
  • seattlewindseattlewind Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I'll try to negotiate more. Actually we didn't ask any additional option.
  • civicdealscivicdeals Member Posts: 3
    I think WA has a better economy and most of the dealers are charging higher fees. Just keep saying - I'll think about it and walk away. see if they come down some more or if you have a trade in they will pay way more for that.
  • weehawkweehawk Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

Just got a quote for a 2011 Civic LX. OTD price of 17.7k. Edmonds TMV is 17.2k.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you bought a new small car in January, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your new car and your trade-in, if you had one.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• punkaj04punkaj04 Member Posts: 2
    People have been having good luck getting pretty good deals in the mid-Atlantic. I got mine in NoVa for 20% off MSRP and someone in High Point got a coupe for the same discount...and that was before they announced the new models. I would shop around with Internet departments at a few more dealerships.