Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Future Models

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "As for Civic, things have been brighter than ever for the car even in a generation (2001+) that many have bashed it for (warranted or unwarranted)."

Sales have been up since the 04 refresh to the Civic. I hope Honda can carry the momentum of the revisions that they made for the 04 Civic to the brand new 06 model. See the problem I see with the current Civic is Honda did not clearly think this car out before releasing it for the 01 model year. Evidence of this is Honda had to retune on the Civic's suspension for the 02 model year. I suspect the switch that Honda made from the double wishbone suspension in the 96-00 Civic to Mcpherson Struts for the redesigned 01 Civic was probably why Honda had to retool on the suspension on the 02 Civic. Another evident thing of this is the current Civic has seen cosmetic changes on the exterior each year since its indroduction for the 01 model year. The 02 model year marked putting 2 more bars on the front grille for both sedan and coupe model Civic's. The 03 model year marked refreshed headlights on the sedan model(that was either done in 02 or 03)and also added ground effects to rear of the sedan model. The 04 model year marked the normal midecycle refresh for both sedan and coupe model Civic's. The 05 model year marked adding rear ground effects to the Coupe model. Finally, Honda sort of abadoned the tuner and aftermarket crowd that existed with the 92-95 and 96-00 Civic's.

"It can only get better. For appeal, automakers have to create an appeal for people who actually buy the cars, not think about them."

I understand that but the Civic is a young people's car.

"Before you suggest that, do you know the average age of a typical Mazda/Scion/Subie buyer?" Without it, we will be using assumptions as facts."

The average Mazda buyer is 42 years old from the last Mazda press release that I read.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I just read on Edmunds.com that Honda has officially announced they will unveil the 2006 Honda Civic at the Chicago Auto Show next month.

That tells me the Civic model change could be MUCH more radical than Honda buyers are used to, especially with the new body design and drivetrain features that could be quite eye-opening even by normal new car standards. I think Honda wants people to be used to the radical change in the next-generation Civic model in the same manner that Ford did back in the middle 1980's with the then-radical first-generation Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable models, which means showing the car well over half a year before the car goes on sale.
  • mautomauto Member Posts: 75
    Much more radical? You mean they are going to snap on a spoiler a call it an "SE" model? Ha, just kidding. But I hope Honda does not follow Ford with their 80's radical Taurus design approach. Can you imagine a Civic with and oval console, an oval rear window and an oval grill?

If Honda shows the 06 Civic early (Feb), it will be a body display only. We will no nothing about engines, features or dimensions (unless someone jumps up onto the rotating display with a tape measure). The competition including the upcoming 06 VW Golf, must really be making honda nervous. Especially when you realize that the new Golf gives the current Civic all of the appeal of a riding mower.
    Especially when you realize that the new Golf gives the current Civic all of the appeal of a riding mower.

Actually, any decent small car of very recent vintage is better than the current Civic, which many have complained was designed too conservatively. Given the tone of Honda CEO Takeo Fukui's remarks lately, I expect the next-generation Civic to go back to the more "sporting" Civics of the 1990's. And if the spy pictures taken in the UK recently is that of the new Civic, that tells me the styling of all models will be quite radical compared to the current models.
  • rsx-sfanrsx-sfan Member Posts: 15
    As long as this new radical design looks good, I'm fine with it.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    It make the car prettier! The Civic has a list of benefits and market advantages no other small car can match, so I wouldn't go too radical in the redesign. It ain't broke!

That said, just sitting in the Scion tC, then the Civic coupe was like losing $5k in interior style and materials. The Scion is on another level, interior-wise.

The Mazda 3 just drives beautifully, with MUCH greater handling limits than the Civic. And obviously that is more a Jetta in regards to it's available luxury.

And everyone has a better warranty and more power.

All I know is the Ex Civic is supposed to go to 140Hp. No big news there.

I am considering a sub-$20k car. They all have flaws. The Civic seems downmarket compared to the Mazda 3 and tC. And everybody has one, so if you want to be one in a crowd....

DrFill
  • tonisamatonisama Member Posts: 7
    Bottom line: If the new Civic offers better performance, ride and build quality, and more features at a reasonable price, I'll buy it. If it doesn't, then I'll buy a competitor's product. Simple as that.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The new Civic is rumored to have the CRX line as well. I always thought that if CRX were continued it would look like Insight. I wonder if the new CRX will have the same weight/hp ratio as the CRX of yore, around 1200lbs/125hp. The highest perfomance Civic, the RSX-S is 2700/200(or 215 for the new), which is still heavier per HP than CRX.
  • mautomauto Member Posts: 75
    I don't think any CRX weighed 1200lbs. Maybe you're thinking 1200 Kg. And no, the new CRX if/when arrives will not be a lightweight due to safety and structural stiffness requirements which result in a more solid ride/better handling.
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    IIRC, the 84 1.3 CRX clocked in around 1900 pounds. I had a 79 1200 Civic that *may* have been around 1500.

Turboshadow
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    According to Edmunds.com Used Car research area, a 1991 CRX had a curb weight of 2,103 lbs @ 92 hp (22.9 lbs/hp). The 1991 CRX Si weighed in at 2,174 lbs @ 108 hp (20.1 lbs/hp).

The acura.com website lists the RSX Type S weight at 2,840 lbs @ 210 hp (13.5 lbs/hp). Much better than the CRX.

JM2C
    If it looked like a Sunfire?

DrFill
    Rest assured that there are plenty of people who would buy anything with the big H on the hood.

Turboshadow
  • glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    Here's to hoping for a 5 dr in something akin to the S2000 Suzuka Blue Metallic or Ford Freestyle Titanium Green... 10FEB05 almost here!
  • hazyhazy Member Posts: 1
    I love (sarcasm intended) how everybody is so quick to claim that they know what American's Hate. The Auto industry loves to say American's hate hatchbacks....Nobody knows. IMO, Honda has lost it's way in the design field--The day it happened? The day they dropped the CRX for the Del Sol...thee person responsible should have not only been fired but also be forced to publically apologize for their moronic call.

IF american's truly hate hatchbacks let's see...um the cooper, the Xa, The P5, the 3 series, the celica, the IS 300, and a ton of other cars (who are eating Honda's Lunch) wouldn't sell one car, let alone be as hot as they are...

The reason toyota is gaining market share??? Honda's design team is giving it to them...Maybe American's don't hate hatchbacks...maybe Honda hates americans (just jesting but)...how could you kill the CRX for a del sol and then decide to bring us the ugliest pick-up ever instead of bringing back a winning formula. Oh well, I guess I will jsut keep enjoying my Xb.
    All of hatches (xA, xB, tC, Celica, Mini, Mini Cooper S, Mazda3 hatch, Mazda6 hatch, IS300 sport cross, Civic Si, Focus ZX3 and ZX5, Chevy Aveo...) put together don't even make a dent in SUV sales.

Although I love the CRX as the next guy, but it was the insurance companies that killed it. The insurance rates on "the little car that could" were on par with high perfomance sports cars. People who bought the CRX bought it because they could not afford to buy Porsche and NSX. DelSol was the continuation of CRX, same spirit, no hatch. Until insurance companies cought on. So, next time you call your insurance broker/company tell them big "Thank you, NOT" for killing the CRX.
    Someone posted pictures taken inside the display hall for the Chicago Auto Show that will start in a few days. Here's the web site:

<http://img129.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=civic0fg.jpg&cols=4>

If those pictures are true, we are looking at a potentially RADICAL change in the Civic design. The highly curvaceous body is a major change from the current design, and the fairly large spoiler means we're looking a possibly the two-door coupé version of the 2006 Civic Si, probably powered by a 2.0-liter I-4 i-VTEC engine with (likely) direct injection and (possibly) stratified combustion rated at around 200 bhp (SAE).
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Uh...interesting pictures, but it's not clear to me that the vehicle is even a Honda. And with what appears to be an all glass roof it's most likely a concept car, not a production model.

JM2C

:)
    I can attest to the fact that the insurance industry killed the CRX. In June of '89, I started working for the government and needed something to replace my old '79 Civic. Being a young, single apartment dwellar at the time, I craaaaaved the CRX Si. I ended up with a Civic Si...because the insurance was 1/3 the rate of the CRX.

In the end, I was glad I got the Civic, because I got married, bought a house, yadda, yadda, and needed the two extra seats and extra space. I kept that Civic for 9 years, but still get a longing every time I see a black 88-91 CRX Si....

Turboshadow
    Crowd gathering. All glass roofed civic up on stage at Chicago auto show behind barrier...
    Waiting on press releases...
  • brightonownerbrightonowner Member Posts: 5
    Wait no more!

http://chicago-auto-show.autoblog.com/

Beautiful machine, but hugely disappointed the 3 or 5 door models are not coming to North America. Just when I thought the hatch was making a comeback...
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Baby Accord Coupe! Nice.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    that's what Honda apparently thinks. Everyone should drive a boring 4 door sedan with a trunk. Those who want a Honda 5 door hatchback should buy the CR-V (with a tire hanging off the back!).

Toyota has 4 four door hatchbacks: xA, xB, Prius, Matrix. The very small xA isn't selling that well, so Honda is getting set to introduce their xA sized Fit sometime in the next 1-2 years.

I've given up on Honda.

Autoweek's website has a nice front quarter shot....

Turboshadow
    Not that many of us but feels like there are enough to warrant Honda bringing over a vehicle they ALREADY produce. Agree they wouldn't sell a ton of 5 doors but they would sell several thousand. Not asking for something new. Just bring us what you sell elsewhere. How much would it cost to qualify for import or build in Ohio? Anyone have any idea what the cost differential involved would be? Like the look of where the next gen civic is going. No 5-dr will have me test driving a Mazda3 and thinking about the Mazda5 and the 5th gen Golf. Might end up with a 4-dr but who knows... Still dreamin' of a Honda Civic 5 door with a diesel.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The xA will be redesigned/replaced within 12 months.

~alpha
    Between the 4 Toyota models that I mentioned earlier, I believe they sell about 200,000 cars combined.

If Honda had a stylish Civic 5 door, selling 50,000 copies would not be a stretch, imo.

Lots of Honda customers could use a Civic hatchback with more utility. But in typical Honda thinking, AHM doesn't want to cannibalize the sales of the upcoming (but smaller) Fit.
    Although the xA will be redesigned in summer 2006, its primary market is in Japan so the size increase will be minimal, if any. For the US market, Honda needs something to compete with the likes of the Mazda3 hatch, the Toyota Matrix, and the rumored Nissan Tiida hatchback.
  • blueboyjocksblueboyjocks Member Posts: 36
    2006 Honda Civic is really cool, check this out!

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000583031108/

Can wait for a test drive this fall.... =)
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ....I find nothing cool about it. Just another 2-door sedan with a big wing. I too am very disappointed that they walked away from the opportunity to bring our market any of the hatchbacks.

The drivetrains are supposed to be significantly improved, and we can hope for more useful room inside, other refinements, etc. But this feels like an opportunity wasted, to me.
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    Not bad. I like the center exhaust (Porsche Boxster styling). As robertsmx indicated, it does borrow heavily on the Accord coupe styling. If the weight stays at 2700-2800 lb and the power goes up to 180-200 hp, it'll be a decent car.
    Actually, the 2006 Civic Si coupé--it it survives into final production form very close to what we saw at the Chicago Auto Show--is much more strongly inspired by the 4th and 5th generation Honda Civic two-door coupés that were designed originally with the US market in mind. I drive a 5th-generation Civic HX CVT coupé and I find it a fun car to drive. :-)
    This is not the end of the world. The licence plate states that this is a concept.

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/8658091677722978.JPG?0.803- 9678040184541

Maybe Honda will turn around and WILL supply us with a hatchback. Or maybe not :-(

Mazda has Mazda6 hatchback/wagon, where is the Euro Accord hatch? I think the Euro Accord/TSX hatch is one hell of a looker for a hatchback/wagon.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/newcars/modelHome.jsp?yearId=2004&amp- ;amp- ;modelId=10410&bodyId=10734&bodyDescription=Tourer&en- - gineId=&badgeId=&transmissionId=&colourId=&colour- - AllocationId=&wheelPartNo=&source=modelHome
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Honda - please bring a hatch or wagon version of the Civic with 5 doors - tired of those guzzlig SUV's and a sedan has no cargo space and poor rear seat headroom.

I absolutely don't understand why anybody would want a sedan over a hatch - they can be made to look almost identical. It is hard to tell the Mazda 6 sedan and hatch apart. The only real difference is the location of the hinge for the trunk/hatch.
    The ONLY hatch that has caught on for any length of time is the PT Cruiser, I guess because of it's cute, feminine, retro styling.

Every other hatch has swung low, and will continue to.

This Honda is NICE! Too angular in the rear, but an Si should be a stalker.

I guess the Si will be just under $20k.

Better looking than the RSX. A nice update of the last Integra, a smart, fun car that I love.

DrFill
    How long has the Corvette been around? It is a hatch. The VW Rabbit/Golf has had a 4 door hatch since the mid 70's. The PT cruiser is a newcommer.

If marketed correctly a hatch will sell fine.
  • cwest1cwest1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I found some spy shots of the 2006 Civic here:

www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spy-shots-2004/H/honda-civic.html

Cheers,
    Chris
    As pictures of this ugly 5-door have been in circulation for months.

DrFill
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "IMO, Honda has lost it's way in the design field--The day it happened? The day they dropped the CRX for the Del Sol...thee person responsible should have not only been fired but also be forced to publically apologize for their moronic call."

No Honda lost its way in the design field with the 03 Accord Sedan in my opinion. It looked like they were trying to appeal to a different buyer with the current generation of accord than of Accord buyers past which they should have never done. In my opinion Honda misjudged the market in terms of exterior styling with the new Accord. If you look at newer Acura's Honda looks like they haven't lost their exterior styling touch.

"The day they dropped the CRX for the Del Sol...thee person responsible should have not only been fired but also be forced to publically apologize for their moronic call."

As far as Honda dropping the Del Sol and CRX they did that because big SUV's were on the rise in the 90's and sports car trend of the late 80/early 90's were on the downslope. You can't blame Honda for dropping the CRX and Del Sol when they did.

"The reason toyota is gaining market share??? Honda's design team is giving it to them..."

In my opinion Toyota is not that much better off than Honda is in styling right now. The main cars that Honda is losing market share too are the Nissan Altima, Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra and Sonata and also the Toyota Corolla to a ceratin extent. With the 2002 Altima Nissan made inroads against Honda's 03 Accord.

"IF american's truly hate hatchbacks let's see...um the cooper, the Xa, The P5, the 3 series, the celica, the IS 300, and a ton of other cars (who are eating Honda's Lunch) wouldn't sell one car, let alone be as hot as they are..."

With the exception of the Cruiser I mean no hatchbacks have really penetrated the market. The P5 maybe you have a case there to a certain extent. When do you ever see a 3 Series hatch or IS 300 hatch? Hardly ever. On the 3 Series I see more 3 Series convertibles than I do the hatch model. The Celica is on the axe after 05. The XA I really don't see them a whole lot of them where I live. If Honda could make money on a hatchback I;m sure they would bring it back.

As far as the new Civic is concerned it looks like the 04 TL on the front and the Audi convertible in the back. I don't take too much stock in those drawings. You know how secretive Honda is when the release new models. You think Honda is going to put a big huge spoiler on a Civic like what was shown in the spy photo's? I doubt it. I do think if Honda laxes on the exterior styling like they did with the current Civic they will continue to lose sales from the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla. I think Honda will step up with the best product possible with the 06 Civic. One more thing can Honda please use a higher quality of interior plastics with the newer Civic than they did with the current Civic? I was also hoping for the return of the double wishbone suspension back with the 06 Civic. From one of the postings I saw here it looks like that is not happening.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Am looking for a low cost, reliable vehicle that offers both ABS and stability control. The '05 Odysseys have this on the entire line. Any word on the Civic or Accord having these features?
    Have to check on Stab. availablility.

DrFill
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Concept pictures of the Civic 5-door

That looks like the 3-door. Did the 5-door pics not come through?
    They changed them. Sorry... www.vtec.net has copies of the ones I originally posted though.
    I hate to break it to you, but this is the current Si. Which is avialable at your local Honda dealer.
    Am looking for a low cost, reliable vehicle that offers both ABS and stability control. The '05 Odysseys have this on the entire line. Any word on the Civic or Accord having these features?

2005 Honda CR-V has them both too. Oddysey is close to $30K, and CR-V EX and SE are close to $25K. Do you want one on the Civic too? If yes, are you willing to pay for it? The only Civic that has come close to having stability control is the Si, which comes with electronic brake force distribution on top of ABS. There is not free lunch, if Honda offers them as a $1000 - $1500 option on the LX will you pay for it?

Would you mow my lawn for free just because I want it? Or re-paint my house for free just because I want you to? I think you know the answer, and if it is yes, my e-mail is public on Edmunds, we can make arraingments.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    when are the '06s supposed to show up at the dealers? Spring, or fall?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.