Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy 4.2 I6

jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
It seems like Chevy has a great engine here, at least on paper. Has anyone driven the GM SUV triplets and what do you think of this engine?

It seems like a great engine and a likely replacement for the 4.3 V6, but I was wondering if anyone heard anything about other applications for this engine?

Comments

• amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    DOHC chain driven camshaft design. No miserable timing belts to change. Engine looks to be a great powerplant for
    mini bumblebee type 4 door sports sedans ala Monte Carlo,
    or similiar GM type vehicle, SUV's, mini-trucks...
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    I hope they put that puppy in the Silverado instead of the 4.3L V6, that would be quite awesome.
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    It's the replacement for the 4.3, no doubt about it. Not at first - the current 2-door Blazer is continuing for a few more years at least - but it will eventually replace it, along with the 2.2 I-4 (as a four cylinder) and who knows what else. However, it is highly unlikely this engine will replace many car motors, as it is a long-stroke engine and requires a lot of space. Maybe if they ever make the Impala or Monte Carlo rear-drive (like they SHOULD BE)

I just hope it doesent replace the 4.8 pushrod. Thats a great line of engines they got there and they better not throw any away.
  • jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    I was wondering if anyone heard anything like "this engine will be the base engine for the Silverado in '02".

Seems like a great engine and with a straight 6's reputation for smoothness and lastng forever I'd be the first in line for a Silverado or S10 with this engine.
  • dodgeram10dodgeram10 Member Posts: 74
    4.2 I-6 VS. 4.8 V-8

4.2 I-6 270HP 275IB-FT TORQUE

4.8 V-8 270HP 285IB-FT TORQUE

IF THE 4.8 V-8 PUSHROD ENGINE IS SO GOOD THEN HOW COME THE 4.2 I-6 IS MAKING ALMOST THE SAME POWER AS THE V-8.
  • thecargonzothecargonzo Member Posts: 31
    In comparing the 4.2L I-6 to the 4.8L V-8, you used the HP/Torque figures for the Silverado/Sierra. The 4.8L used in the Tahoe/Yukon is rated at 275HP/290LB-FT. SUV to SUV is a more equitable comparision. As to why there is this difference, I'd say it probably is engine calibration. True, it could be better breathing (intake and/or exhaust)in the SUV version. However, the 5.3L V-8 is rated the same for the pickup and SUV, so maybe that's not the case. Of course, some might attribute it to marketing...

As for the reason the 4.2L makes almost as much power as the 4.8L, the aforementioned breathing factor has a lot to do with it. With double overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, and the variable valve timing on the exhaust side (a first for a GM production engine, I believe), it is easy to see how the 4.2L makes almost as much HP/Torque as the two-valve, pushrod 4.8L.

By the way, it looks like the Dodge 5.7L "Hemi"
    won't make the new chassis intro in 2002. Look for it in 2003. As for a new V-10 or a Mercedes (as oppossed to Cummins diesel), your guess is as good as mine.
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    the I-6 is a new generation of engines, more advanecd than any before, your comparo (dodgeram10) is like saying why does a 70 454 get as good as milege as a 1999 454.
  • darkhalfdarkhalf Member Posts: 3
    Our dealership just got a 02' Bravada with the new I6 and I did test drive it.(Since I work at the dealership) My opinion is that GM has done a good job at designing this new engine. Its very smooth and quiet. As far as performance is concern. I am the type of driver that has to have a lot of low end torque and thats one thing this engine is missing. This engine reminds me of my sister's quad 4 dohc in her grand am. It has to be redlined before you see any good performance. So at the low end the old 4.3L V-6 has got it beat hands down. But at the top end (Passing power) it runs really good and will get right with the program. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I read in one of the posts that this engine not only would be the base engine in the Silverado, but it would make 300 HP!

I want one of those in my driveway!!

Keep me up to date on anything you guys hear about this engine, thanx.
    Keeping this topic alive. Any news on the 4.2 in the Silverado?

I heard it might be in the '02 Silverado. Can anyone confirm this?
This discussion has been closed.