Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

what is the best car to buy that doesn't break down a lot?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited April 2014 in Honda
On what kind of car you are talking about...sedan, convertible, 2 door, 4 door, wagon, AWD, 4X4 SUV, etc. etc....

Comments

• scottygmc4x4scottygmc4x4 Member Posts: 20
    Buy a horse.........
  • whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    Walk.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    GENERALLY speaking, your best repair records come from Japanese cars...with certain exceptions.....but if you buy a Toyota or a Honda you can hardly go wrong if reliability is more important to you than say style or fun or whatever....not that you can't have style or fun in a Japanese car, but really their best strength is that they seem to hold together pretty darn well.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Yeah, the Japanese makes are rated higher and have good reputations, but I think most any car will be reliable as long as it's taken care of. Change the oil, do all the maintenance properly, don't let little problems become big ones, use the best parts available, and drive it easy.

What scares me when I read "what car doesn't break down" is that I hear "what car can I use as an appliance since I don't like cars and don't really want to take care of one".

A car is not a refrigerator.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    Consumer Reports has very detailed reliability data on all cars. Get one of their annual car issues (either new cars or used cars). You'll see not only differences between makes but also differences between models. Good Luck.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Well everybody states that Honda and Toyota has better reliability. It has been true but I have serious doubts that it will stay that way. I used to drive 99LX Accord (wrecked 1 month ago). Therefore I was reading accord problems topic continuously. Rate of the problems are increasing in every year. More people are complaining. Lucky, my accord was like a Swiss clock but what I read has scared me (either in Civic or Accord discussion). I am in a deep search for appropriate substitute for my accord. I am not sure I can find.
    I am a consumer report reader too. Personally I don't trust their outcome. But I still read them. Dependability of their results counts on how knowledgeable the person fills up the questionary. Majority of the people have tendency to mix-up simple problem with reliability issue.
  • bort1bort1 Member Posts: 13
    I agree with bretfraz in that cars are not appliances. I see too many neglected cars at the shop behind my apartment. The owner is a good friend/racing buddy and I help the shop out whenever I get the chance. Many reliability issues can be solved by good preventative matinence. Simple things like checking the oil, coolant, tire pressure, and belts every couple of weeks can do wonders. (These are inspections that everyone can learn to do) No car will last long or start every morning if constantly neglected.
  • okaycoralokaycoral Member Posts: 1
    I've owned three Toyotas until about 150,000 miles. I never had to have them towed, never had a breakdown. My secret is I get a reliable car and don't let car repair places ruin it. If its not broken, don't fix it. My friends who believe in having technicians take their car apart all the time to replace parts, adjust valves, whatever for "preventative maintenance" are always having new problems as a result.
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    You may get a pomegranite or a lemon.....(crap shoot)....good luck
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    Thing about japanese cars is, what you save in any repair costs (which I don't believe is that far differnt) you get screwed in new costs (Malibu for example comes with ABS, Manual, V6, etc) and parts costs, I was at the local napa getting a choke pull off and the guy next to me was getting a alternator for an early 90's acura something or other, and the alternator was in the high 200$'s, Alternator for my truck is under 100$.

#1 way to get a car to last a long time, wash it love it and drive it a lot. Talk to your car, honest 100% serious you talk to your car and love it and it will treat you great. well atleast I know it works on trucks (g)
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The alternator in a Malibu probably costs very close to what one does for a Camry, Accord or other competitive model. In fact, you might just find that some of the parts in the Malibu are made by the same company as those in the Camry.

There was a time when there was a huge difference in parts costs. There no longer is - at least not for most routine parts.
  • brad63tbrad63t Member Posts: 2
    It depends on the owner.
    All it takes is a proper maintenance it doesn't matter if it is [non-permissible content removed] car, local, or Hitlers car.
  • texastart1texastart1 Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1991 mazda MPV with 60,000 miles and was told I needed to have the timing belt changed. So I did and the van never ran the same. It only lasted about 120K miles with trouble and no acceleration. Someone told me that it probably wasn't adjusted correctly after the belt was changed. Now I have a 98 Diamante with 60K miles and my husband thinks we need to change the timing belt and I'm afraid to do it.
  • arriscararriscar Member Posts: 13
    What ever you do do not go to the used car salesman. A genetic flaw makes them morally void. Go prvate but spend money on an inspection PRIOR to the close.
    As to a car - I'd go used 40-50 k miles. Lots left in the car and the financial savings very the 1st 36 month depreciation will off set even a major repair if needed (not likely). As stated by others, go import (sorry Detroit). Also, scan this site for other topics - Volvo is a scream, everynone has horror stories - Subbies love stories.
    It is now summer, my leased car ends in 2 months and I am back on my bike (pedel power). Love cars - HATE buying them
This discussion has been closed.