Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have a "problems" discussion for the oil leaks.

The "model years" boards tend to either get lost in the topic titles where new members can't find them or they get diluted and auto-archived.

One thing we're trying is sticking new models in the Future Models board, and when they hit the showrooms, move them to the "regular" boards.

It's just housekeeping and not that big of a deal; we're just trying to keep things somewhat organized so people (especially newbies) can find the appropriate discussion among hundreds.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jhetelle1jhetelle1 Member Posts: 1
    Hss anybody experienced the ABS light coming on the dash panel of their 2002 Mountaineer or Explorer? Took it to the dealer; they claimed it was the wiring to the sensor. They replaced it and proclaimed the problem fixed. It didn't fix it. Wanted to see if anybody else has experienced the problem and able to get it fixed. Thanks.
  • mikmaxmikmax Member Posts: 5
    funny the mention of Sept 1 being job#1. I was at the Ford Dealership 3 weeks ago...maybe around Aug 10. I had noted on his web site that he had 2003 explorers. Sure enough...lot was full of them. They did not seem to "be released". They stickers, but I don't remember if they h3ad a price yet. Any one know if rebates may be offered on 2003's anytime soon?
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    GM has confirmed 0% rate for 3years on new '03 models. Ford surely would follow suit.
  • aquaman1kaquaman1k Member Posts: 6
    I just signed the papers for my '02 XLT: V8, 3rd row seat, trailer/tow, adj. pedals w/mem., aux. climate control, running boards, overhead console, and reverse sensing. Going on the X-plan, so I'm pretty happy with the price. Should be ready on Friday--I'm pretty psyched. Does the dealer have flexibility on the price of a service contract? I might be willing to buy one if they cut the price closer to what they pay for it.
  • jilla568jilla568 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. With the 0% financing, I can sell my 2001 Pathfinder and buy a new 2002 Explorer Limited 4WD 6 cyl for about the same monthly payment.

What do you think of this car? Anyone drive both the Explorer and Pathfinder that can tell me about differences I'll notice?

Thanks!
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    I sold my 2000 LE 4WD PF and bought the 2002 Explorer. I had the 170 hp engine where I think you have the 240 hp engine and the Explorer has 210 hp on the V6. I was actually trying to get the V8 but couldn't find one at a price I was willing to spend :(

Differences (and this is between the 2000 PF and Explorer): controls on the steering wheel weren't on my PF, but I think they're on yours - I LOVE this! Adjustable pedals on the Exp. - I'm short so this really helps. I didn't get the Aux Air on the Exp, but there's still a vent that gives air to the back seat - didn't have that on the PF (just had the floor vents for heat). Smoother ride in the Exp, IMHO. There's less headroom in the Exp. in the front seat (a 6'3" friend of mine used to fit fine in the PF is cramped in the Exp.). 8 way power seats in the PF, 6 in the Exp. - makes a difference when you're short, but the adj. pedals help. I got the canopy airbags in the Exp, so there's a little more protection than the front and side airbags in the PF. THERE'S NO ASHTRAY IN THE EXPLORER! I don't smoke, but I'm used to having somewhere to put gum wrappers and such :P The power outlets in the Exp. stay on - they didn't in the PF. The gas door is on the opposite side - I've pulled in the wrong way a few times ;) I think the seats are stiffer in the Exp. but it could be that 3 years in the PF broke the leather in a bit. You might have the AWD, I had the 4WD on my PF, so I was looking for a car that had 4WD, so I liked the Exp. for that. There's no cargo net in the Exp :( I live on a very steep hill so I'm going to have to come up with a way to keep the groceries from falling with the Exp. There's no sunglasses case with the sunroof on the Exp. - I kept little things in there, so I miss it. There's no low and high setting on the heated seats on the Exp. You don't have to remove the headrest to put the back row seats down on the Exp. like you do on the PF, BUT they also don't lie as flat. I prefer not having to remove the headrest ;) 3rd row is nice on the Exp. You have to get used to having the gear shift on the steering wheel, the emergency brake you set with your foot, and the cruise control on the opposite side of the steering wheel :) You sit a little higher off the road in the Exp. The liftgate on the Exp. is a LOT nicer because there's metal at the bottom instead of just glass. I always thought I was going to break the glass closing it on the PF so I hardly ever used it. Now I hardly ever open the whole door - I just use the glass part. The radio on the Exp. is miles better than the PF, but I think they changed the PF radio in 2001 - ditto with the antenna - my 2000 has the electric one which I really liked, but I think I recall the 2001 had a stationary one like the Exp. I like the climate control on the PF a LOT more than I like the one on the Exp. I like having the entry keypad on the Exp for times I don't want to carry my keys. I didn't like the automatic door lock on the Exp, but you can disable that.

Overall, except for the power - and I admit I've never driven the 240 hp PF, so there might not really be a big difference - I like the Exp. more than the PF. I'm a little worried about the quality problems as this (and the Ranger I bought also)is the first American car I've bought after buying 10 imports. Already the Ranger's gone in for a gage light and the Exp. is going in for an AC problem.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps :)
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    While the Pathfinder is supposed to be more carlike, I found the Explorer had a much better ride. everything else was comparable but I felt that the interior of the Explorer was much roomier. I find that the EBs and Limiteds compete well with the Pathfinder LE.

Power-wise both are good. I would change the PF with the Explorer in a heartbeat.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't mind the length, but try putting in an occasional carriage return! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    Tony: Since I live in the desert, have not had a leak, but your question put me in mind of a whistle I hear at the passenger door at high speed, indicating a breech in the seal. Could be related. (Frankly, unless my wife complains about it, I'm not going to worry about it). It is annoying, but I rarely drive the car. If it ever rained hard here, I may have the same leak.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    yes, price of the extended warranties does have a range. there are sites on Da ISH for dealers who offer lowball prices on the extended warranty and make it up in volume. only a Ford dealer can sell the Ford extended warranties, but ANY dealer can sell that warranty. they can all pull up your car information from the VIN on their computers (just like the Saturn ad where the moocher got tagged as "likes jelly donuts.") so any dealer can tell if you qualify and if you have been up on the maintenance, or have continuing unresolved issues and the like.

if you have the VIN on any paper, you can play these guys against your dealer for quotes and try to slip him down.
    Thank you for the info. One thing....what is Da ISH?
    the Information SuperHighway, data too cheap to meter, and other addled new-age references to our old friend, the Connected Internet.
  • geoffd1geoffd1 Member Posts: 21
    To save bandwidth...
    I put up a "Ford Extended Warranties" thread a few weeks ago.

geoffd1 "Ford Extended Warranties" Aug 22, 2002 7:54am
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I just picked up my new 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD V8. I am leasing it for $398 a month. I didn't put any money down but I did get the A-Plan. I love the new explorer much better than my 2000 Explorer XLT. The only thing that I don't like is the compass inside of the instrument cluster. I liked it much better on the overhead console.
  • dll2dll2 Member Posts: 1
    jcat707,
    Can you please disclose all the details of you lease?
    $398 a month sounds very good.
    Thanks.
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    I know it's a cliche, but it all depends on what your need is and what you view is more important.

Both are great SUVs. Exp has more people/cargo room (do you need 7 seats or have more than 2 adults in a regular basis?), can tow more and has more safety features (side canopy airbags, better crash test rating, and available stability control). Pathy is more nimble, has better quality and reliability record, and resale value is better.
    Dll2, please, no buying or selling on Town Hall. Try our Edmunds Used PowerShopper ;-)

Steve

Host

Love it!!!!! Rides so nice!!! I got the premium care ESP for 60/100,000 with a $100 deductible for $1,325. I'm pretty happy with that price. Anyone have an opinion?

Russ
  • jsavnerjsavner Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002.5 XLS (Sport Package) and are very happy with it. Got it the end of July and now have about 2000 miles on it. My question is similar to that in Post #870 and wondered if anybody knew the answer:

"Anyhoo - now I have a grand total of 112 miles on it and find that sometimes when it's in first gear and I'm starting off, it hesitates - almost like I'm in neutral. A few times a "whirling" sound has accompanied it, and strangely, the AC stops blowing cold air during these few seconds that it happens. We've been having days in the 90's, so I have the AC usually blowing directly on me, which is why I've noticed it. Any ideas?"

I don't have the hesitation, but I do hear the whirling around 20 or 30 mph and the decrease in the AC. My wife still thinks its my imagination. Anyone else had this problem? What was the cause? I would like to have an idea of what the problem is before the dealer tries to tell me there is nothing wrong.

Another issue that I am unsure of is around 60mph I feel a vibration. Slower or faster it goes away. Also if I turn the OD off it seems to go away. Maybe it is just the engine in to high of a gear for the speed?

Any thoughts anyone may have would be great.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Just curious, I am at work and the truck is at home, so a question. Is my EB V8 in 2wd? The reason is on my dash I have buttons to select 4wd auto, 4wd HI, and 4wd LO. I assume, then, that it is in 2wd. Is this the case? Do i have the different system? I don't think I have AWD...

Another question, the fuel computer never seems correct unless I hit the reset button andthen I get an accurate reading, is this the best way to do it? I know my Volvo is always right in that regard.

Love the truck!
    That was my post about the AC. I had the hesitation a few times, but at 1300 miles, I haven't had it since. I do still have the whirling sound and the lack of AC. Seems to only happen at the beginning of 1st and 2nd gear.

I've also noticed while driving that the AC "cycles" - going from cold to barely cool, to cold - constantly. I thought perhaps it was because I had the auto climate set and it thought it was 72 degrees in the car (which I doubt since it was 95 degrees outside and I hadn't been out that long), so I turned the auto off. It didn't SEEM to cycle as much, but it still cycled.

I haven't had time to take it into the shop, but I'll be doing it next week. I'll let you know what they tell me - hopefully it's not a "feature" ;))
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    You're in 4WD Auto. That is 2WD unless you get wheel slippage, in which case the power will be sent to the front. 4WD Auto is just a "sensing" mode. Unlike AWD, no power goes to the front unless it is needed.
    That's not a feature. The A/C on my Mountaineer is freezing cold, even at 120 degrees outside, and it's the same going or idling. So yours is malfunctioning, probably low on refrigerant. Don't accept a "check - no problem found" from your service tech. No way this is normal. And, BTW, the auto feature also works great, so nothing wrong with setting it on 72, Auto. It should get your cabin to 72 and throttle the fan back to maintain it just fine. Give 'em hell, Frances!
    Finally had time to take the car in today. I was having the AC "cycle" - from cool, to not cool (though really not warm) and having odd whirring noises in 1st and 2nd gear (along with no cool air). Here's what they did:

Replaced orafice tube, O-ring at condenser, and the low pressure switch. They evacuated and recharged the system.

They couldn't duplicate the whirring noise - hopefully whatever they fixed AC-wise fixed it. I only drove it home, but it seemed to be OK. I'll be taking it down to Atlanta and back in a couple of days and will see how it goes.

Hopefully it's fixed :)
  • ckollckoll Member Posts: 8
    Here is the Dallas area, many of the Ford dealers are have quite a few 2002 Explorers sitting on their lot while the 2003s are rolling in. Other than the $2500 rebate or 0% financing, what kind of a 'deal' could I expect to get on a 2002. Is it possible to get below invoice? I haven't purchased a new vehicle in some time so I'm not as savvy as I'd like to be to get a good (great?) value.
    lots of urban legends about the invoice that includes dealer financing fees, and then there's the "clearance invoice" that doesn't. then there are the dealer's own invoices that include the etched glass, teflon treatment (my teflon was fine without it, thanks), spin-balancing of the dome light bulbs, etc etc etc.

what matters is how close to the wholesale price the dealer paid you get. use whatever report services you feel comfortable with (edmunds, CR, etc.) if you really get close to a car and a package of gimmees so you know what they are paying, what the average retail price is expected to be, and dicker. have you checked your credit yet, so you can stand them down and still have an expectation that they will make the last move into your price zone? the last of the month is a good time to wrangle with dealers, and especially with the 0 percent financing deals going away end of this month, if you're going fishing, know if your bait is good.

I seem to remember that 92% of sticker was what CR figured the exploders were going for this year. not including advertising zone office fees, transport from the factory, tax, title, and license, expect the dealer is NOT going to go below something like $350-500 over the wholesale in the worst case, and if sales have been strong maybe even up to $1000 over wholesale. they gotta eat, too. and company paybacks etc. are included in those estimates I have heard over the years.
    Oh my gosh, thanks for reminding me - it'll be the end of daylight savings time soon, and I need to get that done (got my winter air put in last week, so that's covered).

good one ;-)

Steve
    Host
  • blerner1blerner1 Member Posts: 12
    All,

In case your wondering, there are still some great deals available on 2002 Explorers. I was going to wait until March 2003 and get a new model, but the 0% finance deal for 60 months is too good to pass up. The only catch is that you have to be flexible with your equipment/colors. I was originally looking for a EB without any options, wound up with:

2002 Explorer XLT (Gold/Tan Interior)
    - Leather
    - 3rd Row Seat
    - Aux climate control
    - Safety Canopy System
    - 6 CD Changer
    - Adjustable Pedals
    - Reverse Sensing System
    - Trailer Tow Pkg

Sticker for the vehicle was $33,100. Paid $30,300 for the vehicle (not including NC State Sales tax). I also opted for Ford Credit's GAP insurance for $250. Final transaction price of $31,521.

I financed that for 0% for 60 months. I figure I've saved over $5,000 in Interest charges over the period. As long as you are planning to keep the vehicle for the duration, the depreciation factor (you've already lost 1 year as it's now 2003 model year) is a non factor.

Happy Explorer Hunting.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    are any major/minor differences with the 2003 Exp/Mountaineer vs the 2002s???...
  • daryll40daryll40 Member Posts: 44
    I took delivery yesterday of an '03 Mountaineer that I ordered in July. It has every possible option except the DVD thingie. The ride is EXCELLENT as compared to the '99 Explorer that it replaces. The two complaints that I have, however, are:
    1. They changed the middle seat in the back without warning (or I might have bot an '02). On the '02, the back folds down neatly into the floor after the seat is flipped up. The kids can use the middle then as a little table. Now it won't fold flat at all because they added a 3 point seat belt.

2. The rear hatch window will only close if pressure is applied DIRECTLY to the center over the Mercury logo. I noticed a neighbor's '02 Explorer and it appears that Ford changed the entire closing mechanism...but it only "catches" when you apply the pressure as noted or "slam" it shut with extreme force.

Any comments?

Daryll40, Pittsburgh
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Did you get the V6 or V8, 2 WD or AWD?
    there is no such thing as a "2WD" SUV. Seriously, I got a Mountaineer Premier with V8, AWD and every possible option except the DVD.
    I read about this feature in one of the reviews of the Explorer/Moutaineer her on Edmunds. I believe it was their "First Drive" Review.

It mentioned that the middle rear seat (the 20% portion of the 40-20-40 rear seat has a "large plastic storage bin and elastic-bound slot".

I just got my Explorer this weekend (build date of 3/02) and I do not see what they are referring to?

The middle rear cushion does not fold forward, just the seatback of the middle folds forward. I peered under the middle rear seat and do not see any storage container.

Am I missing something, or was this feature deleted mid year due to cost cutting? Does anyone else have this mysterious rear center storage bin on their truck?
    I'm curious how your air is working now. Also, the whirring sound you hear is just the cooling fan in the engine. The hotter it is, the more you will hear it, cooling the radiator and condensor frantically. It's a little annoying, but very useful. It's normal for these vehicles.
    It's there on my Mountaineer. Nice too. You just lift the middle seat up by the back, and it reveals it. Perhaps it's an option, you don't have?
    without the fold down middle seat. Perhaps they just do it on the Limited and Eddie Bauer versions.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Given the fact that GM has 0% interest for 3 years on their vehicles until the end of October, does anyone know what plans Ford has October 1 when their 2002 incentives expire?

I am looking at 2003 Explorers and Expeditions but I will wait until Oct to see if they sweeten the deal. Does this info ever leak out ahead of time?

Thanks for any rumors or insight.
    All,

I believe that this feature must only be included on Eddie Bauer, Limited and Mountaineer models. It is not on my XLT. The review I read where it first mentioned this hidden storage area dealt with the First Drives of an Eddie Bauer and Mountaineer models.

Oh well, I guess you've got to get something for the $$ premium for those trim levels.
    Come to think of it, we have NEVER used it. It's underneath the grandkid's child seat.......
    sorry, but if you set 'em up..... ;)
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    I purchased a 2002 V-8 Mountaineer a month ago with every option except sunroof and wished I had waited for the 2003. My second row middle seat does fold flat, and has a net on the bottom seat cushion, but I really wish I had the three-point seat belt instead. We have 3 kids and I would rather have them use a three-point seat belt vs. just the lap belt. I have been back to my dealer to see if I can buy the seat from the 2003 and make it work in my 2002, there are only a few bolts that hold it in place.
    second row middle seats! I doubt that trim would match, etc.
    What color do you have????????
    of our Mountaineer and our Explorers before it...and of many Ford products...is the KEYPAD ENTRY! I am surprised, after all these years (I think they started in '82 or '83), that other manufacturers haven't adopted it as well. It's the greatest. You just lock your keys in the car if you don't want to have them bulking up your pockets. And on vacation I can run out to the car to put something in or get something out without having to find my wife's keys.

Another reason to stick with Ford over the competition.
    navigator - I'm still not completely convinced the AC problem is fixed. Check out my post 926 for what they did. Today was the first day I've taken it out on an extended drive and wasn't hot out (75 degrees). I had the AC on and it did still seem to cycle between not cool, cool and cold air :( I figure the warranty's there, I'll keep checking it. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same whirring noise - this one's weird because it's only for the first couple of seconds when I'm in 1st gear, it seems to wind itself out, then 2nd gear it starts again, winds out, then I don't hear again. It's mostly on hills (and when you live in the mountains, there are a lot of hills ;)) I'm keeping an ear out for it also. Then today a nice little "chirping" rattle started near the dash on the passenger side. Oy vey!

Nissan used to have the keypad option on its Maximas. Another option they had that I never thought I'd like, loved, then they stopped, was the windows that rolled down with the keyfob. In Hotlanta, that sure was nice!

I have the 2002 EB and since I haven't actually LOOKED for it, I don't know if I have storage bin! When (if) it stops raining, I'll check. My seats don't fold as flat as my Pathfinder, but I also had to do more to get them down (remove headrest, lift up seat, then fold back down). There's rarely anything I need to lay completely flat anyway.

Does anyone know where I can find a cargo net for the EX? My hill is VERY steep and as a result, groceries come crashing down. I've been putting them in the back seat, but that's a pain to load and unload. I still have mine from the Pathy, but there's no where to hook it up :( I can also leave the 3rd seat up and wedge things in there, but I have trouble seeing as well out the back with the seat up. Thanks!
    Nope, no storage bin in the middle seat of the 40/20/40 2002 EB :(
  • jumper3jumper3 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if they make a rear cargo mat for the 02 Mountaineer? My Mercury dealer seems befuddleed by this question and I haven't been able to get an answer. I would like a full mat to cover the back area when the third row seats are folded down. Thanks for any help. Boyd
    That's the color I have. Dark graphite, with light inserts, they are the ones that came with luxury group package.