Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I purchased a vinyl mat that covers the entire rear area when the seats are folded flat. I don't have the 3rd row seat, but the book at my dealer listed that also. The Merc dealer couldn't find the option in their book, but the Ford dealer had no problem at all. It protects the carpet in the back very well. Was around $75.
  • jumper3jumper3 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info! I'll check with the Ford dealer. Boyd
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    My owner's manual says I have one. I've tried, and no matter how long or short I hold it down for, the sunroof doesn't open unless I'm pressing the button. 2002 EB Explorer. Does anyone have one that's auto open?
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Actually I have one in my 2000 Limited. All you do Is quickly press the button. Just a quick hit is it, and it should just go back. At least thats the way it is on mine... May be different with the new design? Enjoy your new Explorer. I think the EB is a very sharp and impressive package on the new models:-)
  • crispy1crittercrispy1critter Member Posts: 2
    Help!!
    I'm currently looking at purchasing either a 2003 Explorer or Mountaineer but would like others input on these two SUV's. I'm steering more to the Mountaineer V-8 AWD since hit has so many items that are standard and looks like it gives you more bang for the buck. Any thoughts on these two vehicles would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time.
  • daryll40daryll40 Member Posts: 44
    My experience is that if you want all the bells and whistles, the Mountaineer is the better buy by a couple of dollars. Plus "on the ground" selection is better since most Mountaineers are heavily equipped. If, on the other hand, you are more value concious, then Explorer can be found with LESS bells and whistles but at a lower price.
    Thanks, jrc. I'm not sure WHY it doesn't have the auto open. I'll ask next time I'm at the dealership. Obviously it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, just puzzled me, lol!

crispy - I bought the Explorer because I need 4WDL which the AWD doesn't really provide. If I hadn't needed that, I would have gone with the Mountianeer.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    I had the misfortune of getting two flats the other day. There was a lot of debris on the road that was unavoidable. My 2002 Mountaineer is a month old, has 3,500 miles on it and came with Goodyear Eagle LS tires. The tire shop I was towed to (large chain) did not have Goodyears in stock. After a while we agreed on a price and the new Michelin Cross Terrain tire. It has been 5 days, some 900 miles later and I will be taking them back to get the original Goodyear Eagle LS tires installed. This large chain had no problem when I called them today and told them my problem, they ordered the Goodyears and they should be in Wednesday or Thursday. The Cross Terrian tires changed the entire ride characteristics of the Mountaineer. I felt every little bump or imperfection in the road and they were a lot noisier than the Goodyears. I had read post's here about tire noise from the passenger rear door area, and I did not have any until I changed to the Cross Terrian tires. I am not trying to bash Michelin here, just wanted to pass on my experiences. In fact I have purchased 7-9 sets of Michelin tires over that past 20 years and have always been very pleased with them. My last set was on our Excursion, and those Michelin LTX M/S are quiet and gave the truck a much better ride. When you drive 40k a year and have been doing so for the past 20 years you become very much in tune with tire noise and ride comfort.
  • rattinerrattiner Member Posts: 1
    Hello I want to find out what a good trade in value is for a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. It is fully loaded, (leather V8 AWD Sunroof 6 disc CD roof rack privacy glass running boards, etc). The truck has 85,000 miles and it is in good condition, 7 out of a 10. I am looking to trade it in for a new car since my warranty ends this week. I do not want to pay maintenance if I do not have to. Any help is appreciated.
  • ckollckoll Member Posts: 8
    I am probably going to be purchasing a 2002 Explorer. Since I'll be purchasing my first SUV (and Ford), I have done quite a bit of research and have been monitoring this discussion thread. I'd like to pose several questions to the forum to get the real scoop:
    - What are the pros and cons of the 2002 model?
    - What are the common problems? I've seen some stuff around A/C problems but they do not seem to be common in all 2002 Explorers.
    - What kind of gas mileage are you getting?
    - Are the 3rd row seats working for a family?
    - When you have had problems, has the dealer been reasonable to deal with? This may be a dealer-by-dealer issue but curious if some relationship issues stem from Ford corporate edicts.

Any feedback or other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    "KEYPAD ENTRY! I am surprised, after all these years (I think they started in '82 or '83), that other manufacturers haven't adopted it as well."

My wife certainly agrees with you daryl. She won't buy a car without one. Nissan did flirt with it for a year or two, on both front doors, (nice), but dropped. Ford has tried repeatedly to decontent it out of several models over the years. The 98 Town Car came out without it. The dealers lost so many sales because of it, they put it back on in 99 and ever since. The 96 Cougar came out without it, and made my Wife buy her 94 out of the lease to keep the keypad. They lost a sale. They have never offered it on the LS, which annoys. They would love to drop it for the $5 bucks or so per unit, in favor of the key fob. But the loyal customers (like us) who lean towards their products that have them, keep them on the cars. I say, keep up the pressure, because it is a great feature! (I wonder if Ford monitors any of these?)
    I'm wondering what you had it set on. If you had it on say, 72 degrees, and it was 75 outside, you should get a mix to hold the temperature. Otherwise, you should cool the cabin down to like, 65. Best test would be to run the temp all the way down. Then, if you still get a warm/cold reaction, you may have an issue, but that is rare on this car. Weather is getting cool enough, it may be hard to really test it. Mine will put frost on the windows.....it's one of the best I've ever had.
    "- What are the pros and cons of the 2002 model?
    - What are the common problems? I've seen some stuff around A/C problems but they do not seem to be common in all 2002 Explorers.
    - What kind of gas mileage are you getting?
    - Are the 3rd row seats working for a family?
    - When you have had problems, has the dealer been reasonable to deal with?"

Chris: I have one of the very very first 2002 Mountaineer models off the line. I have had no A/C problems at all. It's awesome. My wife drives this car mostly, she gets 17-18 MPG in town. The 3rd row seat is remarkably good, and handy for a family, and really nice to fold away for cargo rather than have to muscle it out, and find a place to put it.

Problems have been really few and far between. The only real issues we have had were a noisy serpentine belt, which replacing repaired. The other was the rear window. It was so hard to close, the frame cracked by the time I got it in to be adjusted. Ford stepped right up and replaced the entire panel voluntarily. I have a good dealer here though, and my experience with all L/M dealers has been varied.

I think the Explorer/Mountaineer design is great, and I think the 2003 should be a tad better than the 2002 for "bugs". I have 17,000 miles now, and still no rattles, squeaks or leaks. I would recommend the V-8 though. We have the six, and to me, it's a little light on push.
    regarding the keypad. It's the greatest! Actually, I suspect it won't be too many more years before someone goes to a fingerprint entry and start system altogether. Or an eyeball reader. Something like that where a key is totally unnecessary. But in the meantime, I am happy with my 20 year old technology keypad and it's one reason we stuck with Ford yet again...4th Explorer/Mountaineer since 1995. HELLO...FORD...ARE YOU LISTENING...?
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Love that feature had it on a old maxima.

When we looked at Mountaineer we said it was a must have feature.

By the way ckoll after 9000 miles on a 2002 no problems. Third row works with the kids.
    8 cyclinder engine poor on the gas mileage but great pickup. Running 13 mpg around town.

regards
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    I'm getting 16 around town with the V8, but I've gone to a K&N air filter and a BORLA cat-back exhaust. The mileage has gone up from about 14.8 around town with those two changes. Plus, it looks, runs, and sounds better!
  • ckollckoll Member Posts: 8
    During my research on buying a 2002 Explorer XLT, I'm finding some equipment differences between among the "base" XLTs. For instance, some have fog lights and cassette player while others do not. I'm thinking that a 2002.5 model must exist which includes a few extra goodies (i.e. fog lights and cassette player).

I've gone to Ford's website but cannot find anything to confirm my suspicions. This may be old news for many of you but can someone please enlighten me on how I can find out which vehicles are 2002 vs. 2002.5? I'm assuming it's by production date and/or VIN #. If so, what are those specs?

Thanks to the feedback many of you have provided to my various questions on this forum. I just like to make informed decisions.
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    ckoll, there is a 2002.5 model change. It was discussed extensively in this thread at the time. IIRC, the change date was sometime in Feb. or March. If you scroll up this thread back to the spring/summer time, you will find the answer.

And Yes, the XLT was made much more attractive with this change.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try this post, ckoll:

jerry2281 Mar 4, 2002 3:57pm

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    We have only 1000kms on our Black Clearcoat Eddie Bauer V8. It also has sunroof and we love it, but didn't particularly like getting hit by some 85 year old lady damaging my front fender and bumper! Let me tell you for the jolt that I got, her Caravan looked horribly beat up while my EB had a dented panel and a loose front headlamp fixture...still it cost 2500.00 to fix. Even though we hit wheels, it didn't require alognment. My wife was driving with our 14 month old son and she feels more safe than ever in this truck. way to go Eddie!

Anyway, Eddie is doing just great and after tanks he is averaging 17mpg mostly city so i am hoping it will improve as it breaks in further. It is very solid and well built and also don't know why there aren't more keypads. I love it!

Steering is nicely boosted and the brakes are firm yet not over boosted. I really like th epickup of the V8 and the nice sounds it makes.

Dislikes? I notice that over bumps the steering vibrates a little. Don'tknow if it a design flaw or a problem with it, but it is no biggie either way. Not too crazy about the tether strap because it gets in the way in the trunk, which is cavernous.

I beleive the middle folding seat is only available with the 3rd row seat? That is what I have been told.

The sound system is real nice, just make sure you research it, the compression feature really helps blend the sounds better. a little boomy at low volume, but that seems to be characteristic of every Ford system.

By the way, can someone recommend tire pressure? Is 32lbs okay all around?
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    You should able to see drive the recommended pressure on the drivers door, and on my Mountaineer it is also on the gas tank door when you open it up. My Mountaineer came with Goodyear P245-70/16 tires and the sticker states 30lbs up front and 35lbs in the back. 32lbs all around seems a little low to me, but maybe the Explorer has a different brand of tire than the Mountaineer.
    I prefer to run 35psi all around myself. The ride is a bit harsher, but the cornering is nice. Tires wear longer too, mileage improves.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    I have a 2002 Explorer XLT V8... Just got my very first oil change from the dealer and when I got home, I checked the invoice and it said they put in 5qts of oil. I read on the manual, it indicated for the 4.6L V8, capacity for oil is 6 qt. Anyone else having trouble with that? Thanks
    and what does the dipstick say? either you got a free quart of oil, or you're short one, and I'd go back.....
    Guess I got a free qt of oil... or at least half a quart. But with the new oil, it sure is hard to tell. Well, for sure, it's above the "min" mark but I checked several times, it's sitting just a tad above that mark.
    You're dead right about how hard it is to tell with new oil.....

I guess I'd probably ask the service manager just to satisfy my curiosity. I have found that even at the most conscientious of dealerships, some of the techs are idiots nonetheless. I find myself checking to see if they did what they say they did too.....
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Changed my oil and filter on V8 and 6 qts put it at full mark on dipstick. Maybe the dealer did not change your filter. They do make such mistakes. On 98 Exp, dealer put extra qt in and argued it was correct. Took it back and they drained and measured the oil and admitted their mistake.
    thanks for that info. I guess 5 qts will make it "just enough" as the oil is now sitting a tad above the "min" mark, and 6 qts will make it all the way to "max". The owner manual said as long as it's between min and max it's ok. So I guess I'm ok? Maybe in a few weeks I can add 1/2 qt in myself, but it's funny how the owner manual stressed that "if it's in between min and max, it's OK, DO NOT ADD oil." hehehe.
    Another interesting thing I noticed from reading the owner maunal... on your engine, do you have the oil filler cap right near the dipstick (driver side)as indicated on the manual for the V8, or is it on the other side of the engine (passenger side). On the manual, it indicated for the 4.0L V6, the oil filler cap is on the passenger side. Mine is on the passenger side but I have a V8 (at least it says V8 on the black engine cover!). My car was built on 03/02, perhaps they moved the oil filler to the other side for the 02 1/2 model??
    Don't let the position of the oil filler throw you. The 4.0 and 4.6 are two entirely different engines. Nothing will be the same.
  • jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    Has anyone out there purchased an Explorer from a metro DC dealer? If so, what sort of deal did you get and from whom did you purchase? With our first baby on the way, we're looking at moving up from our sedan to the Explorer. Thanks in advance.
  • steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    I purchased an XLT w/ V6, sports group, leather, towing package and moonroof in April for $200 over invoice at Sheehy Ford in Springfield. If I didn't insist on the sports group (just came out in April), I probably could have had it at invoice or a little below. In addition, I received a $1,500 rebate. Sheehy is a volume dealer, so expect a decent price but not a lot of personal attention. I did quite a bit of research before my purchase and they are one of the best dealers in the area for price and selection.

Good luck.
  • jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for the info steelersfan. Was your $200 over invoice the actual invoice according to Edmunds or KBB, or was it the dealer's invoice with advertising fees, doc fees, etc.? We were at Koons Sterling over the weekend, and they had about 30 2003s, including one equipped exactly the way we wanted. We weren't inconsiderate, just browsed the inventory by ourselves.
  • steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    $200 over the actual KBB invoice. I believe the mandatory VA processing fee was then added on. With so much competition in the DC area and the high inventory levels, you should be able to work a good deal on a 2003. Good luck.
  • vmcjrvmcjr Member Posts: 2
    I have a deal going on an 2002 mountaineer msrp of $35,435 and a tmv of 32,354 this a dealer demo with 3,000 miles what should I expect to get as a discount.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tough one - I'd guess at least .15 cents a mile more off the TMV you are using. Try the Real-World Trade-In Values for some insider advice.

Anyone else have a number to suggest?

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• vmcjrvmcjr Member Posts: 2
    Both dealers came back with discounts that came to 40 cents a mile. true net discount probably less
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    My oil filler cap is on the driver's side. Build date Dec 01. Besides V8 on plastic cover, the engine belt routing shown on a decal by the hood latch is another check. The spark plugs are no longer visible.
    thanks tulsahog. checked the engine belt routing, and it does appear to be a V8. so i guess they did move the location for the oil filler.
  • heintz1heintz1 Member Posts: 52
    According to one Ford service center I stopped at to have my oil changed while out of town, my 2002 V8 XLT's dipstick is a bit inaccurate or misleading, and I was told that in their experience, this is not uncommon with Ford's dipsticks. When my truck's engine is filled with the required 6 quarts of oil, the oil level on the dipstick reads about 1/3rd of the way up the zone of "X" hash marks on the stick (so the upper 2/3rds of the hash marks are dry). Because of this inaccuracy, a service technician who's not aware of this (or is not paying attention) may unwisely want to add more than the required 6 quarts of oil, in order to have the dipstick read "full". This particular Ford service center scored my dipstick at the level it will show after an oil change in which exactly 6 quarts of oil have been added, and now whenever I have the oil changed here at home, I make sure to tell the technician to add ONLY 6 quarts of oil, and I check the level before driving away. (One time I forgot to do this until I got home, and found that the level was probably over 7 quarts! I quickly took it back to the dealer and had them re-change the oil, this time adding only 6 quarts). So, my advice would be to have your dipsticks scored after an oil change in which you know that the exact, correct amount of oil was added, no more, no less! And check the level yourself before you accept the work and drive away, since too much oil is as bad or worse than not enough oil, because if the engine has too much oil, it may reach the level of the crank shaft and become whipped into a froth, or aerated, which is very bad.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    if it was with the "set and squeeze" handle off a Alemite pressurized system, if they are dropped they can be way the hell off. IMHO the only way to really tell is by pouring individual quart bottles into the funnel. that should be within 5 percent or so if you leave the bottle in there until it's to the drip.. drip.. drip stage.

those pressurized thingies should be checked regularly by setting to 4 quarts and pouring into a marked gallon container... and again if the new kid drops it.
  • jasonj734jasonj734 Member Posts: 35
    You can now order the Mountaineer and Aviator with Advance-trac (option 61V) a Tire Pressure monitor (option 85S) with Luxury and Premier Mountaineer and with the Chrome wheel option on the Aviator (option 85S) You can also get the tire pressure monitor on the Explorer Limited (only) The Aviator can also be had a DVD navigation system on Luxury, with the DVD player located in the rear (This might also be avail on the Explorer and Mountaineer mid-2003) no word on the Telematics.
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    Job 2, beginning with December, 2002 production has the following changes:

1. XLT 2WD-delete OWL tires, now has BSW tires

2. Limited Roof Rails-Chrome deleted, replaced by
    black like all other Explorer models

3. New Audio option-AM/FM Stereo, clock/single CD w/MP3 player (60 watt)Order code 58P. This in addition to the two current audio options.
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    The above shows that the bean counters are in full charge re: Decontenting your Ford. They are already going to lighten the frame, so by Job 3 the Explorer will be probably be devoid of most of the nice features they have added since introduction in 1991.
    I am wondering if any of you with an '02-'03 Explorer/Mountaineer with the 3rd seat have thought out the mat scenario. With my '99 Explorer, the rear mat saved the vehicle from many muddy soccer aftergames, etc. With the 3rd seat setup, there is no rear mat. And if you put one in, it's a hassle to shift from max cargo to 3rd seat. I see some of the aftermarket companies on the 'net offer 5 piece mats. Have any of you tried them? Or thought about it? What do you think?
    Ok, we've had our new '03 Mountaineer Premier for about a month. So far, we do love it but there are a few pet peeves vs our '99 Explorer Limited. I'll list the likes and dislikes here in list form:

1. The ride is MUCH improved over our old '99 Explorer (which I still have and still like).

2. The rear hatch design is a MAJOR improvement as you can open the window and get stuff in lower than you could in the old vehicle. Plus you can open the rear hatch with the remote. (I must add, however, that I've had some problems CLOSING the rear hatch window as it sometimes "bounces" instead of latching...the dealer adjusted it and it's BETTER but not as solid as Toyota would have designed and still occasionally "bounces".)

3. The third row seat seat-up is excellent...the main reason we upgraded from the old bodystyle.

4. The V8 seems a bit more powerful up the steep hills of Pittsburgh vs the '99 Explorer's V8

5. The INDASH 6Disc CD is nice although you do give up the cassette...which is pretty much obsolete anyway and don't really use it anymore anyway (in my other vehicles).

6. The armrest console is improved with the Kleenex box now in the underside of the armrest. I suppose some would like it more readily available as in the old bodystyle, but I like THIS better.

7. The optional rear air works great for my daughter who tends to get car sick. The old vehicle had rear air with a "kid accessable" fan control in the back. The new bodystyle, however, only gives a mere "puff" of air thru that rear vent but the "in roof" rear air option solves that problem with TRUE air to the back seats and roof vents that the rear passengers (kids
    usually) can open or close at their discretion. When the new bodystyle came out, however, you could not get rear air with a sunroof. My factory ordered '03 has both and is great.

Dislikes/Pet Peeves:

1. The lumbar support is this Mickey Mouse manual thingie that doesn't feel solid and cannot be precisely set. The old car had an electric lumbar support controlled precisely by an air inflation buttom.

2. The heated seats use the same button to activate/deactivate as the old
    vehicle...BUT...you can't see it! The old vehicle had the heated seat control almost horizontally on the seat side panel and you could SEE the indicator light to see if it was off or on. The new vehicle has it vertically on the side and the ONLY way you could EVER see that indicator would be if you stopped the vehicle and opened the door and got out or bent
    way over. Worthless. What brain surgeon designed THAT?

3. The exterior temperature gauge is integrated with the climate control. So you have to CHOOSE between seeing the interior setting or the current exterior temperature as a default. You cannot see both at the same time. VERY annoying and I noticed it on my brother's '03 Lincoln Town Car too.

4. I miss the rear section MAT. I understand that with the 3rd seat, the mat would be a hassle to take in and out. But I know that rear carpet is going to get crapped up soon enough. The mat in the '99 could be turned over to
    rubber side up and be easily wiped. I guess this is nothing that could be solved with the 3rd seat but is just a comment on something I hated giving up to get it (the 3rd row).

5. I don't like the fact that you must have the key to check the odometer. Mercedes, for instance, uses an electronic odometer (I guess all cars do now) but it indicates the mileage when you open the driver's door, even without the key in the ignition. I am somewhat anal about logging in services done, etc. So often I need to see the current mileage and I USED to
    be able just to glance in (the old vehicle). Not anymore. I now must insert the key and turn it.

6. I kind of miss the power antenna. I know that they "decontented" it after the '99 model year so this is really not a valid complaint about this bodystyle as much as it is about Ford decontenting. At least let it be an option...I ordered the vehicle so I would have ordered it. As it is, the rod antenna hit the garage door going in or out so I had to give it a circumcision and cut off 3 inches. Not a big deal, I guess.

7. The vehicle would look a little better with a pinstripe like my '99. On the other hand, if you ever have bodywork, Ford makes a killing ($125 or
    something like that) to replace the pinstripe so I won't have that expense when the wife gets an uncontrollable WENDY'S craving and sideswipes the
    drivethru barrier pole (which she did when she was preggers with our son in an Audi that cost me $1500 to fix).

Even though the complaints are more numerous than the specific likes, all in all it is a great vehicle and MUCH improved over the old bodystyle...of which we personally owned 3 over various years and had family and close friends owning 7 or 8 more. I do hope Ford gets it's act together as a company and can solve the quality problems that have led to gawdawful resale
    values and concern about the company's long term viability. But the overall design of the '02/'03 Explorer/Mountaineer is a winner. Toyota's new 4Runner STILL doesn't have the third row and the Lexus version has a Mickey Mouse setup like the GM Tahoe where the seat is bolted ON and must be taken OUT but cannot be NEATLY FOLDED DOWN. Also Explorer/Mountaineer is exactly the right size to serve as the '00's version of the family station wagon ... big enough for that third row but not massive like Expedition /
    Tahoe/Suburban/Land Crusier/Range Rover, etc.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    That's the first time I have read circumcision in a car thread!

By the way, when you hit the heated seat button, it shows on your auto climate control, a little seat lights up. It is like that in my EB.
    This is the second reference I've seen regarding a 3rd row seat mat and cargo space. I don't have a mat in, but planned on buying one. The seat will stay DOWN the majority of the time - do you really lose space with a mat?!
    IS on the dash! Actually, this is an improvement. Thanks for pointing this out to me. As for the circumcision comparision, it's really a Jewish thing. We call ritual circumcision a "bris", and it seemed funny to be giving my antenna one! I actually have close friend who is a Rabbi and we got a good laugh. He offered a blessing, too, but only in joking.

As to the mat thing. I think I solved the problem cheaply. I went to a local Home Depot type store and bot a "runner" that closely matched the interior color for about $20. I cut three mats from it...one for the 3rd seat feet area, one as a small mat for when the 3rd seat is UP, and one that's a larger mat for when the 3rd seat is down. It's not as convenient as just having it in the car all the time, but I can install the bigger mat when we take planned trips or know in advance that dirty stuff will be in the cargo area. Beats spending $150 for a set of custom mats.
    This is really a general used car question, but I though you fellow Explorer people might be able to shed some light on this.

I know that an '00 Explorer (or any other vehicle) with "X" miles will be worth about $3000 more than a similar '99 with 15,000 more miles. But following Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds.com for a few years now, it doesn't seem that the depreciation is a linear $250 per month. I didn't realize until today that this was the case, but I also did not notice the pattern. In other words, if I know that my vehicle will depreciate $3000 between now and next October 28th, what is the normal pattern of deprecation, if such a pattern exists. I would assume, but am not sure, that it's greater between July 1 and Oct 1 than in any other 3 month period...yes? NO?
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    I know that the car loses a good 12% when the ink dries on the contract, but unsure on the further depreciation schedules.

it depreciates faster than it is paid for, because you pay the lion's share of the interest off first. I have forgotten how to apply the "rule of 78s" which is the method of calculating the balance due for payoff at any one time. maybe that's because I never have, and learned of it too long ago ;)

depreciation, however, DOES vary on the market. I would expect to hear an expert say something like half the value is gone by the time your two-year leases are up, because so many used ones flood the market at that time. if it's a soft economy, maybe a little more.

but just which voodoo tools are used to make it predictable, I have no idea.