Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    We got new right lower ball joint for 2000 Mountaineer AWD on 11/2003 (at 30K miles)
    Ford didn't honor the Warranty .(we bought it 1/2000)
    now we have told we need right upper ball joint replacement.(37K miles)
    another $300 job.

We never replaced the "ball joint" on any other cars we own/owned. (last 20 years, we had total of 8 cars)

Is just our Mountaineer or all Mountaineers having this problem?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I just unloaded a 1997 Ford Explorer V8/AWD that needed upper and lower ball joints at 57k. I was pretty surprised that they wore out so quickly. Total job parts & labor was going to run approx $1000 for all 4 ball joints and no, I didn't fix it, drove it right to the dealer loose front end squawking for all it was worth.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    OTOH, I've had 4 Explorers/Mountaineers. Have only had to put ball joints on the 94, at 120,000 miles. I consider that to be acceptable, so I can't explain your problem, unfortunately. But I would say no, they're not all like that.
    The repair shop(not the dealer) guy said we need to replace upper control arm.
    He said it's same thing as ball joint.
    Is it so?

I don't want him to pull my "short" legs.
    (people thinks I'm a naive Asain women, haha)
    On my 97 Explorer AWD that's how it was. The upper ball joint is integrated into the control arm, parts alone for the upper ball joints on mine was $450. Labor was another $220. Then it needed lowers too, um, no thanks, the Ford dealer got the 97 and I got a new 2004 Explorer.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I had a (popular repair/store chain)) tell me I needed a ball joint and control arm, while they were doing my brakes and alignment. Stupidly I acted as if I didn't know anything about the vehicle whatsoever. "Oh what does this cute little thing do here, Sir".

My vehicle DID NOT NEED any of the above, told them exactly how every part worked. How they were engineered, and using what methods and who the CORRECT (not 2nd hand suppliers)were.... What they were looking at, told them how they were all going to rot in hell as I sit upon it's throne.

Needless to say I got coupons for free service that lasted me quite awhile (Although I gave them away to friends).

I would say, ask for the parts back so you know they are really changing the parts. And also view the vehicle as it's propped up on the hydraulic lift, and that should help quite a bit.
    Thanks.

I will get the second opinion.
    Squeak noise worry us.
    The repair shop will charges us..
    Right front upper control arm
    part $140 labor $90, Alignment $49.95
    after tax $303.05

We paid $182 for lower ball joint replacement at the dealer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is looking to interview someone in the Portland, OR metro area who owns an SUV and is feeling quite proud of its capabilities in the city's unusual weather. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, January 9.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You should have heard my 97 Explorer, holy cow, the guards at gate for the AFB where my hubby works said they could hear it coming from 1/2 mile away. It was the most horrible noise I've ever heard, honestly sounded like the truck was coming apart. On the way to the Ford dealer to trade it in (300 mile one way trip) something popped loose in the front end and the handling went from bad to worse. I miss my purple Limited, but love the new XLS.

We had my new one up on a lift yesterday doing the winterization (we live in Alaska), big difference when compared to the 97.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the information....
  • jeepinjoejeepinjoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Limited with sunroof. Every now and then with the rainy Seattle weather, I will get water dripping from the center light console located between the two visors just forward of the sun roof. Brought it to the dealer. He said the sun roof drains get clogged and water sometimes backs up and can leak into the cab. I guess they have to pull apart the interior doorpost covering to get at the drains and clear them. Problem went away for a couple of months and now drip, drip again. Anyone else having this problem?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    i have an '02 and i think it's a great design, but i just want to make a few comments, having owned a '97 xlt v8 awd. yours looked like a 'limited'. mine was unaltered and after 50k miles the original tires had plenty of tread left on them.
    from the pictures of when it was in the body shop, it looked like it had aftermarket wheels/tires. if these were not factory offset, and were not rotated every 6k(could be wrong on the book on that one), then this might have contributed to the front end problems.
    ct is not ak, but the high is going to be <10 tomorrow.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The aftermarket wheels were factory offset, they were exactly what the book called for, the ONLY reason it had them on was because I used dedicated winter tires which I only had on there for 5k, so no rotation was needed as of yet. I had the summer set with the original Limited wheels in the shed.

I think what contributed to the front end problems was all the road construction we had last summer. That poor truck took a major beating, nothing I could do about it, I had to drive through that construction for 15 miles to get anywhere. Lots of ruts, potholes, gravel, rough roads, it was truely a nightmare. I'm sure that had tons to do with the reason they gave up. However, that said, our 1994 Chevy K3500 drove on the same roads all last summer/fall and it still had its ORIGINAL front end, ball joints, tie rod ends, everything at 150k miles and it stayed tight and true. Didn't faze it in the least and yes, it was an IFS front end too. So, I think the Explorer was a little wimpy to give up so quickly, but hey, its Alaska, so I'll forgive it.

I still miss it, but the 2004 is so much smoother and nicer to drive. Oh and the fuel economy is better, my 97 V8/AWD had dropped to a measley 12 mpg and was seriously lacking in the power department. The 2004 is hanging at 15 mpg with only 560 miles on it, that's idling and using 4WD.
    all i can say is good luck, but i have my money in for the next pool(thanksgiving, last time).
    Ha, thanks for the vote of confidence. I honestly wouldn't have gotten rid of my 97 if it wasn't for the front end and the heater, oh and the mind of its own sunroof (that was always fun). My husband doesn't deal well with shelling out money for vehicle repairs (especially for the family vehicle). Thus the reason I've given up 2 vehicles now that I adored, one my 97 Explorer and one my 1990 Suburban. We will have an ESC on the 2004 Explorer, I should be able to make it until 100k (about 3 to 4 years).
  • sisu145sisu145 Member Posts: 22
    I have an opportunity to buy an xlt with 44,000
    miles on it for 6,000. I like the mileage on it but still a little wary of the age. I'm reading here for as much info as possible. The owner of the truck died and his widow is finally selling it. The truck supposedly was well maintained and is in very clean condition. The age thing is the only thing bugging me. Some input from some you experienced Explorer owners would help.
    Thanks
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    Buy it. It's a good truck. You won't have to deal with any of the OHC engine problems. I traded my 95 Sport in on an '02 with 100K miles on it and hated doing it, but I needed a fifth seat belt. The truck had the original battery and every original light bulb in it; the only repairs were a steering rack at 50K and a broken sway bar link (there was eventually a recall for that one).
    I still have my 94 with 120,000 miles on it now, it runs every day, and repairs have been very minimal.
  • smithmedtronicsmithmedtronic Member Posts: 9
    Need advice...

I'm considering purchasing the above vehicle. It's mint in and out and priced fairly at 22K. I'm concerned about it's repair history and resale value in 2 yrs. when it's got 90K+ miles on it. However, I do like the features, ride, styling, room, etc. of it.

My 01 Nissan P'finder has 88K carefree miles on it and I'm being offered a trade value of 12K, which I consider fair also. (Reluctant to part with it because it's been so troublefree.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!
  • eric44060eric44060 Member Posts: 1
    To recent 04 buyers: I'm looking at the 04 XLT, with options & $3000 cash back, invoice should be @ $27,700. Edmunds lists TMV at $28,028. 1.1% over invoice seems low without much negotiation. Been 6 yrs since I bought a new Explorer (98 XLT...Love it!!).

Is 1.1% over invoice realistic??

Thanks in advance.......
    For anyone with an 02-04 Explorer V-6. Where in the heck is the dipstick to check the transmission fluid?? I've looked and looked, even checked the owner's manual, but to no avail, I can't find it. Yes, I know I'm a woman and a blonde to boot, but I can usually find the dipsticks for the fluids I need to check. Old habits die hard, I had a 90 Suburban for a while, that thing taught me to check fluids........often.
  • cubescubes Member Posts: 29
    For good or bad, my understanding that there is no dipstick and that the trans is sealed. Don't know the thinking on this, maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject.
    That's what I'm thinking, especially considering the first trans service isn't for 150k. That bugs me. I usually switch all fluids to synthetic, but it doesn't appear that I'll be able to do that with this one. Maybe just the front/rear end/t case/engine. Sure would have been nice to put synthetic in the transmission too. Oh well, gotta love technology.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    The transmission is sealed meaning that the fluid is supposed to last for the life of the transmission. I also believe that the transmission fluid is actually synthetic already because of the extended service interval. The transmission is still serviceable, but you must fill the transmission with new fluid underneath the vehicle. So in other words, it's not exactly easy for the home mechanic to do anymore, but you can wait a little extra while to change the fluid (maybe double the previous mileage for the last gen Explorers to 60,000mi). At least you will have peace of mind knowing that your trans fluid is already synthetic (I am 80 percent sure of this). Anyway hope this helps. If any others notice that this information is wrong, please correct it so akangl gets the correct information :-)
    I'm thinking that too. I'm guessing the front and rear end are synthetic too, at least here in Alaska. Its 45 below zero this morning and all I have is an oil pan heater, block heater, and battery heater plugged in for 5 hours. Truck started right up and warmed up fine, moved ok too, just didn't have any heat until we got going (this after 30 minutes of idling). Tire pressure monitoring system wasn't too happy either, light didn't go off until I had driven about 3 miles. Truck drove fine, transmission shifted great, no problems.

My 97 Explorer I highly doubt would have been so compliant, it would fight me at -20.
    " Yes, I know I'm a woman and a blonde to boot, "

You can't imagine the number of men that have made this error, at least you knew there was a dipstick to begin with. I actually have some male friends that had no idea that brakes have "fluid", I had to draw them diagrams because they kept asking "brakes can't possibly have fluid, if they did, they wouldn't be able to brake"... Heh...

BMW's transmissions are also sealed for life, and reality is when it the transmission does start to die, it's either time to replace the vehicle, or much cheaper to replace the whole unit than just re-build them.
    Well, this woman can change oil, change a tire, check all the fluids, I'm pretty savy about cars.

The guys at the gas station used to get a kick out of me last winter when I had my 90 Suburban, lifted 4", 31x10.5R15 tires, I had to climb up on the tire to check the oil (thing lost a quart every 250 miles) and then would have to climb into the engine bay to add oil. Very embarrassing and on occation I played the helpless female to get some guy to do it for me, lol.

That truck (her name was Tabitha or TaBurbitha) taught me a lot about vehicles and reminded me that if I didn't check the fluids I was gonna be walking in no time. I miss that old girl.

Anyway, I guess on my Explorer I'll be a good truck owner and leave it alone. I really do like the little thing, its much better than the 97 Explorer I had......that thing was known as *Squeaky*.
    I actually heard there is no dipstick on these new ones, because there wasn't a way to route one up to the top. Sounds strange to me, but possible. I don't care. And I have also heard the fluid is synthetic.

It seems to be a fine transmission too. We've noticed no deterioration at all in 30,000 miles so far on ours, and it's really smooth and quiet. This Mountaineer, despite being one of the first 2002 models ever made, early in 2001, has been surprisingly competent and trouble free.
    From the Motorcraft site:

Related Chemicals & Lubricants

The following Motorcraft® chemicals and lubricants are recommended for service and repairs associated with transmission replacement:
    Ford Type &#147;F&#148; ATF and Power Steering Fluid
    Power Steering Fluid
    Premium Power Steering Fluid
    MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF Transmission Fluid
    Synthetic MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid
    MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid

The 5R55W in the '02 up Explorer needs Mercon V fluid. Since the entry above it notes that it is synthetic and the Mercon V is not noted as such, I am betting that it isn't a synthetic. The trans has no dipstick, and checking the fluid is not "required". I'll have mine professionally flushed at 36K intervals.
    Well thats 3 yeses and 1 no for the 5R55W having synthetic transmission fluid.
    Anyone out there know for sure?
    You may be correct, gregb, but you are drawing a reasonable conclusion from deduction - and who knows, Mercon V may be "beyond synthetic". I mean, maybe it's made from the most expensive liquid on earth.......bottled water!
    r
     o
      f
       l!
    Then there's Starbucks coffee...... NOBODY could afford to fill a transmission with that!
    Could be a new blend. How does Metallic sound ;-)
    Uh, I'll have a double Mercon Synthetic blend please in a go cup.
    Well, according to some links thru google, it appears that Mercon V is a high quality synthetic blend. No mention on when it will be available at your favorite coffee shop.
  • gmownergmowner Member Posts: 7
    my 2002 MM's abs light went on early in the morning. it stayed lit during my morning commute and didn't showed up back into my commute late in the afternoon. Searching at the ABS problems in this forum, it seems that Ford still is contracting with cheapo suppliers. Mine is now at 18K others experiencing similar problems. BTW does the manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover the rental car or is it the dealer's goodwill to provide a loaner car? the ford dealer says that it's not covered by the warranty (they don't have loaner cars)..
    I've had 3 Mountaineers and one Explorer. The ABS light came on once in the Explorer at about 114,000 miles. Never in the 3 Mountaineers.
    My dealer has loaners too. It depends on where you go. Some of them "get" the value of offering loaners, some don't unfortunately.
    Not to beat the Mercon thing to death, but I'm betting that the links you found were for Mercon V compatible fluids from makers other than Ford (Motorcraft). I, too, found those while searching for information.
    For what it's worth, my dealer has a poster in their waiting area that says that the trans fluid should be changed at 45K intervals. That may be the dealer's recommendation, though.
    I bet you might be right, since I didn't come across a Ford link related to Mercon V. Regarding scheduled changes, I think I remember seeing in the Mountaineer manual that it calls for 60K. I'm not that concerned about the miles since our Merc lease will be done in November with around 40K on the clock.
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    I have a question to Merqury Montaneer/Ford Explorer owners: I am looking at various vehicles now, one of them being Merqury Montaneer, which could be had now under Red Carpet Purchase (lease in reality) option - for #320 a month (taxes & $800 prior to car interception) for 48 month I can get 15,000 miles a yesr, V6, regular stereo, sunroof, leather seating, AWD, running boards, (+something else). Is it a good price, and, will the car last 60,000 miles without tranny or engine or any other major part failure? Of course, every car is different (my Accord went through 3 tranny's withing first 8 months of it's life), but as the rule of the thumb?
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    running gear is really pretty good among most manufacturers. exploders/mounties are pretty solid vehicles and you only have occasional limited populations of interesting vehicles caused by funny parts.

for a full escape from issues, you would also want to roll a manufacturer's extended warranty into any vehicle's lease plan. then all you have to worry about are the fabled and frequent stories about overmileage, bumps and scratches, and crud ground into the carpets and seatbacks by the neighbor kids by accident. your accord experience should remind everybody that EVERYBODY can get a run of cruddy parts or a solid team effort from a lazy engineer on occasion.

I've got almost 50K on my exploder, no issues at all. the battery went about when you expect it to, and I might have a fuel regulator or gas pump issue beginning to appear... or it might be a cheap relay before the fuel pump, haven't ID'd the problem yet.

I'm not sold on car leases for individuals at all, but I readily agree lots of folks like 'em.

I think you'll be fine in the mountie. just do the regular maintenance and look at anything that seems odd, like any good vehicle, and it should be a nice ride and a nice experience.

oh, that regular stereo. wimpy like all the rest. get the Mach, you'll like it. even more if you get the optional multi-disk with it. good tunes make a good drive better.
    1 Explorer and 3 Mountaineers so far - I think they're the perfect vehicle for me. My explorer has 120,000 tough miles on it, no major repairs yet.
    Is V6 as bad as they say in reviews and does the rear hatch window actually explodes?
    No the hatch doesn't explode, this was a pre-production event that occured on the first few, years ago when it was launched.

The V6 is reliable, and not a cause for concern. Although you could get the same gas mileage and better performance from the V8 over the V6.
    They don't want to lease out to me V8 for the same money as V6, understandably. IT's just all mag's are saying V6 is so underpowered....
    Well, I traded a 97 Explorer Limited 5.0 V8/AWD for a 2004 Explorer XLS Sport V6/Control Trac 4WD, I haven't been disappointed at all.

I've had the 04 3 weeks today and have put over 1700 miles on it. Other than a cooling system hiccup at -55 its been flawless. I find the V6 to be very pleasant and it has tons of power. Its a smaller engine than my prev Explorer but is much more refined and has a lot more power.

So far I've averaged 16 mpg, but that's mixed driving and idling, the truck also has snow tires on it which hurt the gas mileage too.

Drive them both and buy what you like, both are good engines and the V6 is certainly not lacking in power or reliability.

BTW, these new Explorers are AMAZING in the deep snow, very, very impressive.
    "They don't want to lease out to me V8 for the same money as V6, understandably. IT's just all mag's are saying V6 is so underpowered.."

Screw the rags, one month they love the vehicle, next one they kill it... All biased trash to begin with. Just test out both versions yourself and see what you prefer best. The V6 transmission is programmed to work at the heart of the band majority of the time so it's rare you will require anything more. And a higher axle ratio might help a bit as well on initial acceleration if need be.
    I've had 2 V8 Mountaineers, and 1 V6 Explorer and 1 V6 Mountaineer. I agree with ANT, that the V8 will give you about the same economy, and makes the truck MUCH more fun to drive and satisfying. BUT, if the V6 was patently unreliable and underpowered, why is the Explorer the best selling SUV in the country ever since it came out? The 6 is very adequate and tough as nails generally. My 94 has 120,000 miles on it, and passes smog like a brand new one. Again, I would get the V8 if I could, but the 6 is just fine.
    Testdrove a Mountaineer today - it's much better than I expected, honestly - a while ago I drove the old Explorer - one from 90th - and there is no comparison between these two. The only thing - MM swinged out it's rear when driving on icy road. Now waiting for the "order" from my wife, what we gonna get - Mountaineer or Isuzu Ascender...