Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    "Mountaineer or Isuzu Ascender... "

Your kidding me? Has she test driven the Ascender yet?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That's what I was thinking, but since I haven't considered an Isuzu...ever...I thought maybe I was missing something? No?
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Hey glad to hear you are giving the Moutaineer a look. A fine automobile IMO. Goodluck with your decision!
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Yes, she did. They are sort of, from two different games. In common they have only affordable price for which I can get them. Ascender is a 40,000 dollars vehicle, V8, leather, Bose stereo, heated seats, etc - I'd say it's more of Lincoln Navigator competition - but, I can get it under 30G's. Ride on the road is even better than Navigators. Extremely quiet. But, It's more money than Merc - like 30,000 dollars + tax, and I have to buy it. From woman's point of view, Ascender is better - or simply more luxurious. From my point of view - Merc is totally OK, it's much less money per month and in total, since it is a lease, dealer is literally 5 minutes away and I leased before from this dealer, so I know what to expect. V6 in Merc, though, is very hard to compare with V8 in Ascender (which is the same vehicle Trailblazer/Envoy) - any V8 is so much better; but, Merc handles also much better plus, it has some real bad weather/off-road capability, which Ascender has not - it's a station wagon for those who hate station wagons. And, 4 years later I can give Merc back and forget about the whole thing. So, there are always pluses and minuses.
    The only thing, that concernes me - it is 4 years lease, I need 15,000 miles a year, and warranty is 3/36,000 - will the vehicle last 60,000 miles without buying additional warranty for 2,000 dollars? 'Cuz same money will equal the monthly payments to the ones of Ascender, which has 7 years/72,000 miles warranty...
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    " Ascender is a 40,000 dollars vehicle, V8, leather, Bose stereo, heated seats, etc - I'd say it's more of Lincoln Navigator competition "

But how many will really pay $40K for an Asender? It's essentially a Trailblazer as you stated. The Trailblazer/Ascender was able to fit the 3rd row seat by extended the platform, in turn gaining a bit more mass as well (I believe it weights 100lbs less than a Tahoe actually) which is why a V8 would definately be needed in that vehicle.

This was GM's final minute stunt to be able to compete with the Explorer, since the Explorer is able to fit a 3rd row seat optional, but in the same compact dimensions unlike the Trailblazer's extra foot (and then some) length.

As for the Explorer/Mountaineer's ride it was accomplished by the Independent Rear Suspension which is why you feel the more controlled ride, WHICH is what made the fold flat 3rd row seat possible.

As for the concern with the V6, you could upgrade to the V8 if you wish on the Merc, just kill the additional warranty which at $2000 seems a bit rediculous overall. Or keep the V6, but up for a higher axle drive ratio which helps with acceleration. But I wouldn't place too much priority on GM's 5.3L V8 which has been a source of problems pertaining to increased oil usage, and piston knocking. Check this website out which is looking to place a class action suit against GM for this issue... http://www.pistonslap.com/
    Ok, them's fightin' words. Have you ever driven an Navigator, fsv? Because you sure can't buy one for $40,000! You must be confused. The Navigator is much larger than the Ascender, and much more expensive. From the Edmunds review of the Ascender, they claim this is Isuzu's best truck, and:

Pros
    Strong six- or eight-cylinder engines, simple interior design, plenty of passenger and cargo room.

Cons
    Spongy suspension, numb steering, low-grade interior materials, odd exterior proportions.

Ok, insulted, but over it.

The Mountaineer will give you 120,000 miles of trouble free service if you want. But frankly, I'd get the wife what she wants. Happy wife, Happy life! My mantra......
    Haha, you can tell us Explorer/Mountaineer owners love our trucks can't ya? Were almost downright pushy, but we just think and feel they are better than some/all of the competition for the price and that's why we own them :-)

Have you floated through the Trailblazer, Bravada, Envoy discussion? That may be worth a look as far as any issues you may encounter. Though I am sure that there are many of the tripplets out there are trouble free. Also, no one is sure how much longer Isuzu is going to be around in the U.S. I think I read somewhere else on Edmunds that they pulled out of Canada this year. So if they pull out of the U.S. will GM honor Isuzu's warranty, or their own 36/36,000 for their tripplets?

I gotta agree with Nvbanker though, you must make wifey happy!
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Want a Misuzu (Isuzu)? Ford/Mercury makes much better vehicles. We have one Isuzu dealer in the state of Alaska, there's a reason for that, NOBODY wants the things, they don't hold up for very long. I'm on Explorer number 3 and I highly doubt I'll drive anything else.......well, maybe an Expedition in 4 years.
    To nvbanker - of course I drove Navigator. When I was returning my LS, it was the first thing I did - and I didn't like the Nav at all. Feels too big. I like Ascender much better. So does my wife. I don't compare cars based on mag reviews - I might ask questions based on them, but never present their opinion as my opinion or truth in last instance. Only after I drive the car, then I talk. Honestly, I like Ascender's highway manners much more than any of FMC offerings. But, again, I have owned GMC and FMC vehicles. So, Fords, in general, handle better. I was very pleased even with Focus when I rented it recently in FL.
    But, to make the story short, it looks like I am getting the Mountaineer - the $288/month Red Carpet promotion thing is over on the Feb. 2nd, and you can not beat it - everything I need is to make home on time (I am leaving today and will be back only Saturday. I'll have may be two hours home and than I have to leave again. In this case everything what's left is Moday evening - hate to do things in the last moment). And, I sincerely hope that "The Mountaineer will give you 120,000 miles of trouble free service if you want" - I really want it.
    And, hopefully kids on my street grew up a bit - I can not take all dents and scratches and baseball imprints on my cars any more...
    I was just surprised to see you compare the Navigator to the Ascender, as I don't even consider them in the same size class, or anything else. That's all. Couldn't see the correlation.

$288/month? Hmmmmm....I have a Mountaineer on order myself......haven't heard about that deal.
    Write to me: o3epo@pisem.net - I'll give you the number who to talk to. It's a lease with my dealer - Dana Lincoln/Mercury of Staten Island. Taxes upfront. 800 down. 4 years. V6 with convenience package - moonroof, running boards, leather, everything power, 10,500 miles. Since I need 15,000 miles, I'll pay $320/month. I don't know, if it is really a good deal, but it doesn't look bad. What do you think?

P.S. Sale is over on the 2nd of February.
    Ok, that explains a lot. I'm going for a loaded up model, no down, so my price is higher. That sounded like a killer deal at first, it still sounds good though for the truck you are getting.
    Meaning the deal sucks? Now you can get a Pathfinder for the same money/no down 39 month. Less leather and roof, otherwise the same deal.
    Yeah, my problem with the Pathfinder (other than the bland looks) has always been headroom. No, I don't think the deal sucks at all!!!! I was just wondering why it was so much lower than my price will likely be....that's all. When you explained the Convenience model was your choice, and the wifey wants the Premier, it made more sense.
    As of today I am owner of Merc Mont for next 4 years.
    Congrats!! You'll enjoy it!!
    That you can put a washing machine in its box in the back of a 2004 Explorer with only one side of the back seat laid down?? There is even room to spare. I'm impressed. How do I know this?? My Explorer did double duty today and acted as a truck.
    Hope you are right. Got 4 years/60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty - somehow ratio of posts in discussion:
    - Ford Explorer: Problems & Solutions 2373 -
    and
    - Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer 1787 -
    got me out of balance.

What do I do now - I mean it maintanancewise - what shoud I pay attention to, and expect what at what mileage and do what? What stuff should I get not to get stranded on the road? That's my first truck. Had sporty cars my whole life.
    There are many things our there to back up that the new Explorer and Mountairneers are good reliable trucks. Don't let those difference in numbers fool you (posts). I have probably posted on the Explorer's problem board 50+ times myself, but maybe only 6 times for personal issues. Most of those other times were for suggestions and the like. I know Nvbanker is also a large part of both boards you mentioned, but just for help and support 99% of the time. Look at Consumer Reports if you must and see how the reliability has climbed dramatically from 2002-2003 models. By those readings, one would guess that 2004 should be even better. Drive with confidence and peace of mind my friend.

Nvbanker-When I mentioned the memory mirrors I was aware that the Gators were much less trouble prone than those found on the GM products, which is what I was refering to hehe ;-)
  • wblake99wblake99 Member Posts: 18
    You will love what your truck can do. I am on my 3rd Mountaineer (1997, 2000, 2002.5) and everybody is impressed with the truck. My wife loves to tell the minivan moms that she can carry just as many folks, in just as much comfort and not worry about getting stuck in the Cleveland snow.

I picked up a new kitchen stove in the box. The guy at the warehouse said "no way it will fit in an SUV!" Wrong. Also picked up a new 42" Plasma screen. Again, "won't fit!" Wrong.

The best is when you help someone move, like my in-laws, with their "Grand" Cherokee. A couple of trips out of the house and their full. I just keep going and going and going (like the bunny!). I love hearing "how is all that fitting in there, our trucks are the same size!" Wrong.

But the best part of owning a Mountaineer is giving U-Haul a hard time. I rented a 6' x 12' trailer a couple of weeks ago. When the kid asked what I was pulling with I answered "a Ford Explorer." He got a look on his face that said "I don't want to have to deal with this again!" Then I said, "Oh, but it says Mercury on the back. Is that okay?" He laughed and said "Yeah, I don't know what's up with U-Haul?"

Anyway enjoy your truck.
    Does anybody definitively know why U-haul has their heads up their butts about the Explorer? Somebody sue them for renting a 35 foot trailer to someone with an Explorer with a class II hitch or something?
  • brast69brast69 Member Posts: 17
    My 03 Mountaineer Premier has a auto dimming mirror which needs to be constantly turned off in order to "see" behind , especially during the daylight hours, is this a defective mirror or does this always need to be on off? Every time I start the truck I have to shut the mirror off, any solution
    Sounds defective to me, like too much current is being supplied to it and dimming it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    you don't have anything hanging in front of the mirror do you?
    i had a parking tag from work that was blocking the sensor.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Many of you will find this article to be very informative:
    http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/112_news59/index.html
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Old news - see #1714.

Today's rollover test results (and retesting to be done) didn't sound too good though.

U.S. to retest Ford Explorer SUVs for rollovers (Forbes)

Steve, Host
  • mmadden1mmadden1 Member Posts: 17
    I'm considering a new Explorer. I have a '98' and it has been a bit problematic but had a chance to drive a new one a bit and was very impressed with the new vehicle.
    I do a lot of highway driving and wondered what other owners have experience with gas mileage with the V/6 4x4.
    Any owners with the stabilization option?
    thanks for any help
    I traded in my 97 Explorer Limited V8/AWD for a 2004 Explorer XLS Sport, V6/Control Trac. First thing I noticed is the handling on the 2004 is amazing, very secure, its peppy, and so far the gas mileage has been around 15 mph mixed driving and idling. I really like it, neat truck and perfect for our family.

We are going on a 700 mile trip in another 2 weeks, so lots of highway, will get a good feel for gas mileage then. I have about 2600 miles on the truck and will have had it a month tomorrow.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    my '02 explorer(v8) has been on a lot of road trips in 18 months. four people, coffin on the top, 4 bicycles hanging off the back(like the beverley hillbillies), it does 80 real easy.
    don't recommend that to anyone else, though.
    kind of vibrates at 65, though.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My wife gets 17mpg in town on her 02 Mountaineer. Don't ask me how. But this has been a particularly good vehicle all around. I hate to let it go! Lease it up in May.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2003 MM AWD that has 38,000 with V8 and 3:55 rear end (lots of highway driving it just turned a year old this month) and I can get 19-19.5 mpg on my road trips. If you dip into the throttle with a heavy foot it will effect your mpg. On the highway I am usually driving at 70 mph too. Hope that helps.
    Picked up my MM on tuesday at 8 p.m. Already have 150 miles on it.
    Observations:
    It is a truck. Independent suspension is great, but the ride is a truck ride.
    CD-player skips on some CDs - my Accord doesn't have any problems with the same CDs.
    Windshield - rain stays on the windshield even at 65-70 mph - obviously beacause it is too steep. On the cars water rolls over ther windshield and is not a proble. On MM it looks like you take rain with you.
    The backrest is not comfortable, unless you nearly laying in the seat. Will try to go on a long-distace ride; will post my observations re. this.
    Though the car went only 120 miles - and the tank is 22.5 gallons - MM it burned 1/3 of the tank in mixed highway/city driving.
  • scoutlabscoutlab Member Posts: 12
    Although Edmunds advises that Stability Control is an option on the Mountaineer, the dealer I went to today said that no such option exists. Given the reports this week about the Explorer/Mountaineer faring badly in rollover tests, a dynamic stability system (yaw control) is a pretty important option. Does anyone know who is correct, Edmunds or the dealer? Thanks very much.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    is bundled with (or a part of) the AdvanceTrac option. RSC was a late availability feature of AdvanceTrac and has only recently become available. Even though AdvanceTrac has been available for quite some time now, RSC is a relatively new enhancement. My week-old Aviator has RSC and was one of the first equipped this way in Arizona. Hope that helps.
    won't be good until the vehicle is broken in. Somewhere around 10,000, them seem to hit their stride.
  • scoutlabscoutlab Member Posts: 12
    Thank you very much, Iolaj42. The dealer said I would have to get an Aviator if I wanted to get AdvanceTrac, stating it was not available on the Mountaineer. AdvanceTrac is listed in the Mountaineer brochure as an available option, though. Does anyone know whether a Mountaineer can be ordered with AdvanceTrac? Thanks.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    Per my 2004 Ford Explorer brochure and Edmunds new car info for the MM, AdvanceTrac is an available option. Whether the AdvanceTrac system also incorporates RSC is another question that I cannot answer at this time, though I can't understand why it wouldn't if Aviator gets it. I think your dealer wants to sell you something he already has on his lot, and isn't giving you a straight answer. Good luck.
    Should I get Mobil 1 in the engine and Syntetics in the axels/differential etc?
    Should I get Mobil 1 in the engine and Syntetics in the axels/differential etc?
    Any way to drive it somehow specially to break it in better?
    Actually everything that you have mentioned already has synthetic in it, save for the engine. I use Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W30 (Ford recommends 5W20 now) in my wife's Explorer, however Mobile 1 is a good oil as well. I just get a discount on the Valvoline ;-) The main reason for the use of synthetic oil in our cars is so I don't have to change it as often. I feel more comfortable going 7,500 miles in between changes with the synth. Also worth mentioning is that I get about 1 more MPG, which is always welcome with gas prices @ $1.75 A GALLON!!! ARG!
    I'll go 1,000 miles on what's in there, and then gonna get an oilchange; 3,000 miles later I'll change to synthetics - I don't see a point of putting such expensive thing in the engine, when it is still not broken in and has all these metal particles falling into the oil; I will wash the engine with one of these detergents they sell in Pepboys after 1,000 and respectively 4,000 miles. Will see what I'll get. But now it feels like the gas tank leaks - so fast is the fuel disappearing.
    I've been told that Ford oil is a synthetic blend oil, and it is 5W-20 now, for fuel economy. It's good stuff though.
    How is it in comparison to Valvoline & Mobil 1?
    Mobil 1 is all synthetic, and the gold standard for synthetics, I think. Don't know where the Ford fits in.
    I think I have the tow hitch, but I don't have the hook itself or electric outlet for the trailer (stoplights, turn signal etc). Do they all - MM - come like that?
    You probably have a reciever, so you need to buy the hitch slide in and the ball. You probably have the class II hitch, so a 4-way plug, it will be located I believe to the left of the middle, its covered and small, a little hard to find but its there.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    the class III/IV takes two-inch square drawbars, and hte class II is inch and a quarter square, I think. class II only pulls as much as your bumper, and the truck is good for more, even without the towing package. how much more depends on your equipment, and there should be a supplement manual in your kit for it.

someplace in the left turn signal area underneath the truck you should find a round plug with a cap on it, and that's where you plug your four-wire towing pigtail in. should have come with the truck. if not, someplace in the $45 range at the parts counter.

my 2000 tows sweet, the 2004's extra size should be even nicer.
    I found the plug. The hitch is inch and a quarter, unfortunately. I'll go through papers tomorrow and will see, what it actually can tow.
    That's the class II towing package that comes standard with the Mounties and the Explorers, its rated to tow 3500 lbs with no more than a 350 lb tongue weight. Really with a V6 you don't want to do much more than that anyway.
    344 miles - tank and 1/3 (27 gallons) in mixed driving. 12 miles a gallon; not much. I'll have the car for 60,000 miles; it is $7,500 in fuel costs.
    I am driving like Mom Teresa (Theresa?). Brake pedal started to make some thumping sound. It is not loud, but perceptable.
    Question: driving with sunroof open is very noisy. If I put winddeflector, or whatever the name of it is, will it be any better? Also now all the water on the roof flows freely on the windshield, if I put this thing on, will I have swimming pool on top of my sunroof? I think, that I'll get the rainguards on the doors. The fuel economy will definitely not get any better with them...
    Can I do anything to improve fuel economy?