Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    You are more prone to hearing about Explorer complaints since there are so many of them on the road. We are talking about 350-431K units yearly. When one thing goes wrong, many more people are seen complaining since it affects a higher population.

Explorer on average, are near the top of their segment in reliability, and beat some comparable imports. But when something does go wrong, it's viewed as "the sky is falling"...While Honda has transmissions failing at high speeds, and Toyota has oil sludge/engine problems yet are easily forgiven. Something the media recently has been critisized over doing.

If a recall hasn't been issue, chances are it's affecting such a lower percentage of the vehicles population, and/or NHTSA hasn't found a need to require the manufacturer to initiate a recall.

As I've mentioned before, if a specific dealer hasn't been willing to fix your issue, you can try another, and/or try Ford's Customer support and document the issues till a resolution is made.
  • Options
    02xls02xls Member Posts: 40
    Thanks ANT14 Dude do you work for Ford? I have called every Ford dealer in my local area as well as the Customer Support Lines (I wonder if over in India where they are answering the phones they call it customer support with a straight face) and I have gotten no help what so ever. I know Ford has alot of vehicles on the road, the way I see that is if you have made that many vehicles you should know how to engineer and build a rear end that works and will not begin to fail in large numbers and in short time periods. I mean is the rear diff. in a vehicle like the Explorer some kind of new technology?
  • Options
    I would guestimate a good 90% of the time, it's not really Ford's fault. It's really the supplier's. Because of the bad economy, and the increased costs on raw resources/materials, it's much more diffucult for supplier's to manufacturer/supply a part and keep it profittable for themselves while fighting for business with competitors. Therefore, change the formula on one part, and it can adversly affect it. Everything down to "the oven wasn't set at the appropiate temperature", and that itself can cause an issue for the mentioned issue.

Many times the manufacturer has no idea there's an issue with the part, and goes ahead to install it. Us as consumers, will always run the risk of testing most of these parts, even if supposedly they have been used before-yet the formula changed a bit.
  • Options
    One of your suggestions was to contact my local dealers about the rear end problem. This response you just gave must be a canned answer that Ford is telling their people to give to customers. The service mgr. at one of my local dealers gave me the same line of bull. I was going to ask what dealership you worked for so I could bring my truck in to you but I already see what response I will get. Look I don't mean to target the brunt of my frustration toward you but I do not believe that a company like Ford can use a supplier like Dana for rear ends and settle for faulty/cheap parts and not be able to accept the responsibility when they do so. A Service Mgr. told me that it was not Fords fault it was the supplier. I then asked for the suppliers phone # and a contact name and was told that the supplier did not take calls from Ford customers with problems. The redesigned Explorers came out in 01, how many years and how many rear end failures have to occur before Engineers at Ford will either fix the problem or find a new supplier. This is not rocket science but I guess Ford is smarter than all of us consumers because they can continue to build sub par vehicles with known mechanical problems and foolish people myself at one time included, will continue to buy them. I sure would like to hear others opinions on this subject.
  • Options
    I do not deal directly with dealership experiences, other than taking care of it for friends (for other manufacturer's) when they can't resolve an issue. The same advice I'm giving you, is the same advice I've given friends whenever they have an issue over any vehicle.

If you understand the structure of how dealerships work, you will understand that it's not Ford's fault directly how a dealership treats you. There's certain limitations overall, the dealership is seen as a service center, and outlet. Or for another example, it's like returning an item to your favorite dept. store...If one won't do it, you try the other, and the other.

You could contact the supplier and your own, and vent your frustration, although their contract with Ford doesn't require them to even read or respond to your letter. And because of the contract, it means Ford is bound to them till the contract expires. At that time, Ford will assess if they wish to continue the contract with a certain supplier. We all saw what happened with the Ford/Firestone marriage.

Now pertaining to the current issue, it only affected certain '04 vehicles, because that's when the supplier messed up. The problem was caught, and rectified promptly. In your case I would continue to press the issue till you reach a resolution.

I myself have been known to drive to 7 counties, to get a friends POS Passat fixed, over an A/C mold issue that dealer's didn't wish to touch. It was an "interpretation" case.... I SMELLED it, they didn't. Hence, no one wanted to bother. Found one dealership 190 miles away that did.... (4th time the charm though). But I'm annoyingly persistant that way, others might not be.
  • Options
    patrick9patrick9 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 03 Explorer that had the rear end 'whine' problem. It took about three visits to the dealer, but it did get fixed. I was just persistent and they finally told me that a fix was not yet available, although a fix was being worked on (I believe this was around Spring 04) and that they would call me when it was available.

Well they did call (yes, a minor miracle IMHO) and about 2 days later the problem was truly fixed. I have not had any problems at all since then. I believe they (Ford) replaced the rear end gears,etc.. (minus the housing).
  • Options
    ANT14 Thanks for your responses to my questions.

Patrick9 how many miles were on your 03 and I am assuming that it was under warranty. How many miles on truck post repair?
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Still have 94 Explorer, 140,000 miles - original engine, transmission. Have only repaired A/C and normal wear items on truck since new.

Had 97 Mountaineer. No mechanical problems in 24,000 miles.

Had 98 Mountaineer. No mechanical problems in 30,000 miles.

Had 02 Mountaineer - No mechanical problems in 35,000 miles.

Have 04 Mountaineer - No mechanical problems so far in 8,000 miles. Although transmission sometimes misses a shift. I'm not ready to quit buying Ford products because of it though, after this kind of track record, if the transmission does fail on this one, I'll get Ford to fix it. Plenty of time left on the warranty. If the truck turns out to disappoint me, I will turn it back in when the lease is up and get another one. After all of these great trucks, I'm probably due for one with a glitch, don't you think? Unlike some people, I don't expect perfection, because they're machines and machines sometimes break. I just expect it to be fixed as agreed, by the manufacturer's authorized dealer. And usually, they do that pretty well, I've found at my Lincoln/Mercury dealer here.
  • Options
    whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    My wife's '03 Explorer XLT V8 has been occasionally making a clunking noise and seems, at times, to "slip" at lower speeds. The vehicle has approximately 14,000 miles. Just got it back from the dealer for the second time. First time they said it was the transmission solenoid which they replaced. Noticed the "slipping" sensation again. Second time they couldn't find anything else wrong. I have also noticed a "clicking" sound when starting forward or backward from a standing stop. It almost sounds like the hubs unlocking on my old pickup. Dealer did not mention anything about any reoccurring rear-end problems. If anyone has any additional information on this issue, could you please post. THANKS!
  • Options
    We currently have approx. 13k miles on our Explorer. We noticed the rear-end whine very early on, and I think it finally got fixed at approx. 9-10k miles. So we have been driving with the fix for about 3-4k miles or so.

One other thing I should mention (see post just above). We also had an issue where it would feel like the transmission would 'slip' or 'shudder' when going around corners. For example, when making a right turn from a stop sign - you could feel a shudder or slip. I thought that problem was related to the rear-end whine issue, but it was not. This problem was fixed prior to the whine problem.

All of the above was corrected under warranty.
  • Options
    If your expericing problems, after resolving the initial problem, go back again and complain over it. Worst case senario, they'll have to backtrack on the same way they fixed it initially.
  • Options
    svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Ant14, I always follow your posts since they are concise,logical and well thought out. This time I am confused,I do have an Explorer 2002 Limited and I am interested in the 2006 model if in reality there will be changes (otherwise it will be like getting the same vehicle). The site that you point us to only shows the terrific looking Sport Track, am I to assume that this is the way the 2006 explorer will look like?....thanks for your reply and continue to provide us with your insights...greatly appreciated....
  • Options
    Yes, the next Sport Trac and next Explorer, will share similar front fascia styling as well as interior.

The changes are a bit more in depth than just styling. Other changes will take place engineering wise to improve the structure, ride, NVH, power, braking, fuel economy, response, etc.

Keep an eye out on the next round of auto shows in the next few weeks for more details. I'll also link as the information becomes public and I can mention more about it.
  • Options
    Of course your dealer did not mention anything about a rear end problem in the redesigned Explorer. If you ask your local dealer or call Ford directly they will act like they do not know what you are talking about. After you tell them about the rear end whine between 50-70 mph they will check it out replace the rear end, at no charge if it is under warranty or charge you $1200+ to put one in. That is if they can get the part. Ford is having to replace so many of these rear ends that the sorry supplier and Ford can't keep up with the demand. The best part about this all to frequent scenario is that once they replace the faulty rear end with another faulty rear end you will have the same problem in about 5-7000 miles. Ford has no real fix for this problem and I guess according to the very knowledgeable and informative ANT14 all you experiencing this problem are just test subjects until the contract Ford has with their suppliers is finally over. There are 3 solutions to this problem. (1) Never let your truck run out of warranty. (2) Never buy another Ford. (3) Do what I did after owning 3 Explorers and planning to continue to buy Ford products until this, get rid of your Fords and buy a reliable, well built import suv or crossover!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info - if the rear end issue continues, it could be covered under the lemon law...

As for the ongoing domestic/import debate:

1. The main reason I bought the 2003 Explorer (I'm sure this is true for others as well) was $$ - 0% financing (72 month) + $2000 rebate + considerable discount off of the price (based on edmunds what people are paying). Try getting that deal on a Toyota.

And while the Toyota depreciation may be less over time, I think with a substantially lower initial price on the Explorer it 'all comes out in the wash' so to speak...

2. Although I do feel Toyota,etc...does make more reliable and generally higher quality vehicles vs. Ford, my gut feeling is that an Explorer is probably overall safer than a 4Runner or comparable import. The Explorer seems to be heavier - just bang on the sheet metal with your fist...the Toyota might need body work.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hey first hand experience with RWD Explorer in the snow. I got to tell you, traction control is standard and its a wonderful thing.

I had to move a bunch of RWD Explorers around our snow covered lot this past winter and they were able to move fine without getting stock.

Sure I had to See Saw fwd back fwd back to get through the berm in front of the truck that was about bumper high but it went through.

Incidently the 4x4 went through the snow like it wasn't even there.

As for Fuel Econ, its very easy to waste gas in either the Explorer or the V6 Escape when driving around town. There is so much power on tap that you will find yourself really getting on the trucks to get them moving away from stop lights if you are use to driving a car. These trucks can definitely move but you burn the fuel to do it if you aren't careful.

Mark
  • Options
    Ford Explorer 4304# Curb weight

4 Runner 4300#

Pathfinder 4815#

Pilot 4431#

I realize that Ford often offers great finance/rebate incentives on the Exporers. However, and I learned this the hard way about Ford, you do get what you pay for.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Actually the Explorer/Mountaineer did very well in crash testing.

My friend has a 4runner and he's had more issues with his 4runner than I've had with my Mountaineer, even though I have the rear-end whine.

The Mountaineer also feels much more planted in the bad stuff.

FWIW.
  • Options
    I believe that the Explorer/Mountaineer are decent vehicles. The rear end problem however and Fords lack of handling the problem has completely turned me off as you can tell to their products. I will tell all that have the whine that if you do not address the problem and think that you can live with the hum between 50-70 mph that the problem will progress and the rear end will progressively worsen. My 02 Explorer had 70,000 miles on it and a whine since 30K. The noise got to where it sounded like a bad wheel bearing and I took it to the shop to have the wheel bearing replaced. I figured I could live with the whine between 50-70 but not a constant noise at all speeds. This is when I was told it was not a wheel bearing and that the entire rear end was failing and needed to be replaced. I traded my truck in and recently purchased a 05 Honda Pilot. The Pilot has a curb weight of 4431#'s, Full time 4WD,NHTSA crash ratings of excellent and a rollover rating of good. I have not had the truck long and have had no problems yet.
  • Options
    jhartmann2jhartmann2 Member Posts: 13
    Can someone point me to the post the describes this problem. I have an 04 Explorer with 980 miles on it. When I accelerate I hear a high pitched noise from what I think is the engine and goes away when I'm cruising. (I know its not a belt). Just trying to figure out if the high pitched noise is normal for Explorers or if its the rear end "whine" I'm reading about.
  • Options
    I have the base radio (CD only) on my 2004 Explorer. I want to replace it with the 6 CD changer unit from a 2005 model since I can play MP3s on the 2005 unit.

Can someone tell me if this would be a "plug and play" change or will I have to add any new wiring?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This post refers more to a solution than a description of the problem, but there are some diagnostic posts right before it. Or do a Search This Discussion for "whine." I may have missed some of ANT's posts about it.

traveller, "Ford Explorer: Problems & Solutions" #2945, 18 Aug 2004 8:14 pm

Steve, Host
  • Options
    My 04 only has 4 speakers. The upgrade has 7 speakers. Where are the other 3 speakers located in the upgrade?
  • Options
    svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Great!....this new upgrade to the Explorer will win many sales...it looks terrific. I am looking forward to your links and info about this beautiful SUV...I thought about the LEXUS but based on value for your money the EXPLORER will continue to be a best buy, kust my opinion...

Thanks again and happy holidays to you....happy motoring too!....

Ralph L
  • Options
    Thanks for setting me straight.
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    I think it says alot for Ford that when problems such as those being discussed here do come up, they are relatively minor (noises and such, don't affect safety or reliability). I had the harsh downshift and reverse engagement problem in my 2004 XLS 4x4 with 13k, and it was fixed very satisfactorily with a new transmission solenoid, but it wasn't that bad to begin with! It has been a great truck overall. My brother-in-law works for the state DOT, they have a whole fleet of 2002-04 Explorers with the off-road packages (and they use them)- no trouble with any of them, and they are racking up the miles.

Take this example: on Honda Pilots, "HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE Consequence of Defect: GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH." -that's off of a Honda recall notice!!! Failure? Result in a crash? At the least, you'll be stranded! And Toyota SUVs have that problem with the engine oil sludging and immediately destroying the motor. I'll take a whine or missed gear every now and then over a call to the wrecker!
  • Options
    Not if, but when your 04 develops the rear end problem let us know how minor you feel it is. I am no automobile mechanic or expert but what will happen to an Explorer if the rear end locks up? I would think you may have a safety and for sure a reliability issue. I appreciate your example about the Pilot. I am glad to know that I now own a vehicle made by a manufacturer that will step up and repair their customers vehicles under a recall at no cost to the owners. I only wish you would have posted the rest of the info. off the Honda recall notice so all could see how thorough and simple the repair was. Thanks again!
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    is the 'whine' a recall?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Somebody get editted for telling the truth too many times?

My wife's '03 Explorer transmission problem does not appear to be the whine (at least not so far @ 14,000 miles). It is the jerking in reverse and at low speeds that is supposedly the transmission solenoid (which the dealer has already replaced). I have driven the vehicle since the solenoid was replaced and it happened to me one time. Due to the sporadic nature of the problem, it will never happen with a tech in the vehicle. We've been told to keep driving it, because no permanent damage will occur to the tranny (at least until my wife said, "Good, I guess that means if I do have transmission problems in the future (after the 36K warranty runs out), you (Ford) will be happy to repair it at no cost!" I guess the service manager has a crystal ball. What kind of idiot would make that statement without the ability to predict the future. He hasn't even felt the jerk that happens, especially when backing up. The first time it happened, my wife got out of the vehicle because she thought she had backed into something.

I do have to agree with the earlier post regarding Honda. When they have a known problem, they issue a recall and repair their vehicles. This is something the Big 3 need to learn (and practice).
  • Options
    I forgot to mention to the earlier post that there is apparently no official recall for either of these two problems. The only official recall I know of is regarding the rear hatch and Ford can't even get the replacement parts to fix that. In the mean time, you're not supposed to use the rear hatch. Instead, I suggest taking the chain saw and making a hole in the roof for loading your groceries. Hey, look at the bright side, it also doubles as a sunroof!
  • Options
    jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    Lately when I have been riding in my friend's 03 Explorer, I hear this whistling sound. It only happens when the it is cold outside in the winter. It did this last winter and came back this winter. It was nowhere to be found during the fall, spring and summer. Is this the infamous rear end whine that I have been hearing about?
  • Options
    The noise you are hearing is not the rear end. I am willing to bet that many Explorer owners who will say their trucks do not have the rear end whine actually do but they do not know it. Many people will chalk the sound/hum up to tires, normal road noise or may not hear it with the radio on. After time the noise will get louder, and many will go buy a new set of tires, only to find the hum still there. As far as the whistle, My guess would be that the rubber door seals / weather stripping may be somewhat less flexible in the cold and therefore not providing a good tight seal. It could also be the molding around the windows acting the same way. Maybe someone who has experienced this could be more helpful.
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I am about to buy a 2003 XLT sport V-8 with 37K miles form its original owner. What were the issues with the V-8's in 03? Did Ford take care of rear axle noise in 03? Are there some type of up 100K miles warranty on rear axle.

What do I need watch for in this Explorer?

People with 4.6L V-8 engines.....On highway can you get 20mpg? Are you glad you got the V-8 over the V-6?

Thanks for your help.

Joe
  • Options
    "I am glad to know that I now own a vehicle made by a manufacturer that will step up and repair their customers vehicles under a recall at no cost to the owners." - 02xls "This is something the Big 3 need to learn (and practice)." - whatsachevy

Are you kidding??? There is a department called the Office of Defects Investigation at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that reviews consumer complaints, reports from NHTSA investigators, and manufacturers own TSBs. I'm willing to bet that the main reason manufacturers issue most recalls is not out of the kindness of their hearts, but because of findings from such boards and concern over potential litigation resulting from the defect.

Like I said before, I know a whole bunch of guys over at the State who all drive government-owned 2002, '03, '04, and '05 Explorers with anywhere from 20,000 to 70,000 miles on them, with NO complaints (except from the leadfoots who want their V8 Durangos back!) and there's at least 20 of these things. I've specifically asked if their trannies act up, any strange noises, "are any of your vehicles ever in the repair shop?" and they always think I'm crazy.
  • Options
    virgiesmomvirgiesmom Member Posts: 59
    Hey Techgrad03...... I had zero problems with this after the Mercury Service dept reloaded some software. This was 2-3 years ago. Don't remember what they reloaded.
  • Options
    Before you purchase the 03 XLT look at a recent post on the Problems & Solutions board regarding an 03 Mountaineer. No Ford has not taken care of the rear end problem on any of the 02+ Explorers. The only way the rear end will covered under warranty is if you purchase an extended warranty. If you do decide to buy this truck I would not without buying enough warranty to cover this truck for as long as you plan to keep it. Ford has no fix for the rear end problem. They will put a new one in and it will only be a matter of time before the whine is back if it goes away at all. I have no experience with the V8's. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hey B.O.B. whether it is NHTSA or the manufacturer at least the problem is being taken care of and Honda has the knowledge to identify the problem and replace or repair the failing part or parts. As for your Government buddies if they have had no problems with an entire fleet of Explorers or any other make of vehicles that has got to be some kind of record. I find that hard to believe. You should call Guiness.
  • Options
    What's hard to beleive? Explorers are great trucks, and that was my original point: that the problems spoken of here are (relatively) uncommon and/or minor. Check out the Honda Pilot board, you'll find lots of serious problems. They've had two safety-related recalls for the motor and the tranny and have a whole assortment of loud clunks, grindings, braking and starting problems, etc.

The ODI has investigated the Explorer and found it to be safe and reliable, as have Automotive Information Systems as well as Consumer Reports. If the NHTSA thought it needed to be recalled for any of these problems, it would be. That's that.

I'm not trying to say that one truck is better than the other. I'm just defending the Explorer against these posts which claim that it should be avoided. I bought my Explorer because it has real 4x4 with low range but if that wasn't important to me I could just have easily bought a Pilot. They are good trucks overall as well. Will an Explorer last as long? SURE! Go to eBay Motors, click on Ford Explorer, and sort by highest mileage. You'll see many original trucks with close to or over 200k, that still look and run great.

I just used the example of my Government buddies because they have the current generation. I have plenty others. My next door neighboor has a 1991 XLT 4x4 with 205,000 miles and it is his daily driver. He has had it years and hasn't had any major problems. My aunt has a 1997 with 180,000 miles. They drive it 300 miles on the highway to see family.
  • Options
    I agree with you that thru the years the Explorer has been a great truck. I would not have bought 3 of them in the past if this were not true. My 99 was probably the most reliable, best vehicle I have ever owned. All vehicles have their problems. My biggest problem with this Ford situation is that they cut corners on this new generation Explorer that has produced for many people serious,costly,time consuming problems. You may not agree that these things (rear-end,tranny) are serious, but who out there has the time,patience, or money to invest in a vehicle built by a company that will not stand behind its product? Anyone can site examples positive and negative about any vehicle or vehicles on the road today. How does one defend a company that knowingly is selling a defective product and then is not willing to correct an obvious error? Whether it is Ford or their suppliers the responsibility ultimately lies on Ford's shoulders and the consumers are bearing the brunt of it.
  • Options
    FIRST- I don't see how an Explorer is any more "defective" then a new Pilot. Again, compare problems reported here and in the Pilot problems board- by your logic you'd certainly have to call PILOTS DEFECTIVE as well! Again, I say the problems with Explorers are NOT SERIOUS because they don't seem to happen in the majority of Explorers on the road (which is like 2 million of the current generation), nor do they pose a threat of accidents or breakdowns (such as those with the Pilot). Again, check ODI/NHTSA site, Consumer Reports, etc. I believe CR rates Explorer reliability as average and states it is IMPROVING over past generations! They don't think the current Explorer is "defective", so why do you?

SECOND- As soon as I told my dealership what was going on with mine, they said it was no big deal as far as tranny life, etc. BUT were happy to order a kit- provided by Ford to fix the problem- which came in 4 days (they said it was perfectly fine to drive while waiting for the part) and was installed in two- all free of charge including a nice loaner. Problem solved! NOT time consuming OR costly, either. So how can you say the company doesn't acknowlede there was an error, and that they did not stand behind their product? The episodes here sound like crappy dealers to me. Find a dealer with good service- I know my dealer will handle whatever else comes up in the same manner.

So, again, in summary: IF there were serious problems with the Explorer, the NHTSA would not allow Ford to do nothing; and, Consumer Reports would not report improving reliability, as average overall- which they have. Sorry my posts are so long, but I like to back up my statements with verifiable facts and quotes/opinions of automotive experts.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I had the transmission solenoid problem with my Explorer. First, of all, it's something you notice that comes on gradually. The transmission will shift from reverse to drive slower, until you notice the "clunking". In addition, it hesitates when shifting to second from third. The shift is not "crisp" anymore. Yes, my rear ending is whining also, but not enough to where the dealer wants to fix it. So it has 33,000 miles on it and during the next two days I will be shopping via the internet for a Ford extended warranty. Ford WILL NOT ADMITT to the rear end problem. They do know and will fix the bad soldnoid in the transmission. These problems-Gentleman ARE NOT FIGMENTS OF OUR IMAGINATION!!!
  • Options
    B.O.B. I appreciate your defense of the Blue Oval. I know you want to feel good about the 04 you purchased and own. Say what you want about CR ratings and NHTSA and quote all the experts you want. I am certainly no expert, I am speaking from many years of owning Explorers and dealings with Ford and several dealers. Thru all of your research I am confident that you have read on this site and many others about the problem that I originally started this whole discussion about, The rear end/differential problem that the Explorers have and Ford's refusal to do anything about it! As far as your assault on the Pilot, I never said a word about Honda other than that I traded for an 05 Pilot and you brought up all your cited references about their recalls. I don't know if this new Pilot will be any better than the Explorer, I know that Honda is known for their level of quality and reliability. Check your references on that. My insight comes from personal experience and I hope that the info. I am posting here helps current and potentially future Explorer owners with their decisions and/or dealings with Ford and any rear diff. problems they may encounter.

One more reference for you to check:

Read Edmunds long-term test drive on the 02 Explorer. You will read at the end where they list problems they encountered. A Clunk in the transmission as well as a whine from the rear end. If these problems are so isolated it sure is odd that the 1 Explorer that Edmunds tested had these problems and so many thousands of others do not. As far as your experts you can't get much better than Edmunds! Good luck with your 04 let us know when she starts whining.
  • Options
    How can you be so confident that the majority of Explorers have (or will develop) this problem? And how do you know that Ford isn't working on a fix for it? I'm not denying some owners are experiencing them, but these problems are, in fact, with the minority of Explorers. If a large percentage of Explorers had rear end trouble it would be all over auto news, everywhere. It would not be as highly acclaimed and recommended as it is. How do you explain the government owned Explorers, racking up years and miles, trouble-free?

That is my counter point. I am not trying to say that every Explorer is perfect, or that every dealership will perform every fix available. But that's unrealistic for any vehicle from any manufacturer. That's why I used the Pilot as an example of a competitng vehicle from another reputable manufacturer that is giving owners headaches. Reading those forums it is evident that many of it's bugs took awhile to be worked out as well. It's a great comparison.

And yes, the experts at Edmunds noted in the 2002 long-term test of the Explorer that there was a whine in the rear end. And then in 2004, they awarded the Explorer the honor of "Most Wanted Midsize SUV under $35k," or a "vehicle we would most like to park in our own driveways." Which brings me back full-circle to my first post: the problems are minor.

So I do support the Blue Oval, for all future potential Explorer owners.
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Cars are funny things....Had a brand new 1990 Ranger with 4 cylinder engine. The check engine was on all the time....It was getting 15mpg on hwy. Dealer could not fix it. had a roll over on icy interstate. It was totalled. I said to my self...that was my last Ford.......Bought a used 93 ranger 4.0L/5 speed with 113K miles 4 years ago from a coworker. It gets 23mpg on highway. Never had a problem with it. No oil leaks/engine problems. Now it has 153K miles.

Also had a 97 Dodge Caravan LE that put 138K miles on it. Never had the dreaded transmission problem. It was a great Chrysler product.

I think Explorers are the best looking SUV's out there, and I know there are good ones and bad ones. I just hope the 03 V-8 I am looking at is one of the better ones.

Every manufacturer at some point has quality issues. How they go about 1)acknolwdeging it, and 2) fixing it, makes or breaks these guys.

With 400K a year Explorer production, it must be finanacial disaster for Ford to admit defective rear axle.

Toyota had oil sludge problem. First they blamed it on lack of customer understanding of oil changes!! Then when it got ugly, they said ..fine , we will replace the engines free up to 100K miles.

My 94 Accord had distorted windshield. Honda said it was normal. I went crazy over them telling me it was normal. At last, they changed it.

How bad is the rear axle whine? Do the V-8's have the same issue? or is it mainly V-6's? Did the 03 have the tranny selenoid problem too?

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    It is just an occasional problem on both V6 or V8 Explorers. The exact symptoms, including frequesncy and noise levels, seem to vary.

The tranny solenoid problem affects some of the 5r55-series transmissions used in several Ford products including the Lincoln LS V6 and V8. This tranny was used both with the V6 and the V8 in the Explorer as well.

Mine had a slight whine from the rear of the vehicle, starting at 15mph and fading at 20mph (in 1st or 2nd gear). My dealer said this was no big deal and was related to the delayed/harsh engagement. Sure enough, it went away when the solenoid job was done, for some reason.

Test drive the vehicle at various speeds in a quiet area with the stereo off and windows cracked. If you don't hear it, it's not there there; and, there is no reason to assume your vehicle will be affected in the future.
  • Options
    "Mine had a slight whine from the rear of the vehicle, starting at 15mph and fading at 20mph (in 1st or 2nd gear). My dealer said this was no big deal and was related to the delayed/harsh engagement. Sure enough, it went away when the solenoid job was done, for some reason."

Mine also went away when the solenoid was replaced. I was very pleased. Then it resurfaced (same EXACT noise) in 3,000 miles......
  • Options
    There is a dealer sight on the Internet (Do a search and hopefully you will find it) that is offering an ESP warranty to 75,000 miles and/or 5 years for $850.00. If you sign up by December 31st- it is only $670.00. This is for the "ESP Basic" plan which if I read it correctly also covers the rear-end. I will call them and my local dealer to verify this! I didn't plan on spending this money, but I refuse to let myself be wide-open. There are other plans for different miles/times, but this one works best for me. I don't plan on keeping it longer than 5 years!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Warranty from who (whom?)?

Please see the Rules of the Road link above - it's ok to mention the dealer name, and that would make finding it easier.

(thanks Nvbanker).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I've heard that Ford is working on a couple of fixes.

First, the transmission fluid is a synthetic blend and some people are having alot of luck with simply changing the fluid (there is a rumor that the fluid mix being slightly off can affect how the tranny performs and cause soft, high-pitched whines). Notice that customers who have had flushes at around 30 to 50k are reporting extended mileage with no worries. When the solenoid job is done the mechanics have to take the pan off, but only the fluid that was in the pan at the time ends up getting changed. (FYI the solenoid is related to the flow and pressure of the fluid as well). I think this is why the noise seems to be related, and why changing only some of the fluid can have an effect (whether permanent or temporary). Let us know when you reach 30k, if a fluid change has an effect! (I don't think its necessary before 30-50k miles unless your noises/harsh shifting is really bad, where you think it might be wearing on the parts).

Second, the TSBs for the rear ends are saying something about improper fluid mixture, with a fix coming.

Wouldn't it be funny if all of this just came down to fluids?

Does anyone know if you can run full synthetic in these transmissions? My last car was a 626 ES-V6 with a 5-speed, and it started having some trouble shifting at about 60k. The service advisor stated some synthetic fluid would fix it. WOW, what a difference- I went from having to fight with the shifter to moving it with one finger, and it stayed that way for the other 40k I drove the car.
  • Options
    I believe what you are referring with the fluid in the rear end may be what is mentioned on the Explorer problems board in post #3200. I think the person there stated that an additive was put in the rear end and it did not make any difference.