Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have an 04 Mountaineer with the V-8 and AWD. We get 15.7 in town and about 18 on the road at 80MPH. And, we're not unhappy with that at all. Love the engine, much better than the V-6 we had in the last one. Worth the 1 or 2 extra MPH less we get with the 8 cylinder, all day long.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    so what can we do to help fsv?
    i have an '02 v8/3.73 rear gear.
    can get 18-20 mpg on the highway.
    fsv, what kind of tires do you have?
    do you check the pressures?
    what are your rpm's at 60, 70, 80?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    and about 18 on the road at 80MPH.

Did you know that air drag is almost 80% greater at 80 mph than it is at 60 mph? That's not to say that aerodynamics is anything to write home about for a boxy vehicle even at 60 mph. You might consider a more leisurely pace and you get to enjoy the scenery a bit more as a bonus! That's just my tuppence! :-)

tidester, host
    (tidester, your PH-D is showing again...)

Yeah, but the boredom-drag is about 100% greater at 60mph than it is at slightly above the legal speed limit on roads I've seen 1000 times, especially in the Arizona desert.
    ...especially in the Arizona desert.

Been there, done that! Tucson to Scottsdale is pretty boring even on the first trip but Tucson to Nogales - zzzzzz!

tidester, host

Note to self: Drop the tech stuff! ;-)
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    I found an 04 XLT V8 with the exact options I've been looking for...except the tow pkg. Seem like every other V8 I've looked at had it. I don't do a lot of towing, but I do need a class III 2" receiver for the few times I do. Can I add this myself? I thought I read somewhere that the standard class II wasn't removeable.

Thanks.
  • GutsyGutsy Member Posts: 13
    I purchased a new 2004 Luxury Mountaineer with 20 miles on it a few weeks ago (got it for $11,000 off the sticker price with discounts, rebates and more) and I'm very pleased with it.

At first the mileage was not that great, hovering at around 15 mpg with mixed city and highway driving during the first 700 miles. Yesterday we drove 140 miles from New Jersey to Baltamore MD (average speed of 65 MPH Highway miles) with 4 adults and one 12 year old and got an average of 19 mpg. On the way back to NJ (we now had 2 adults and one 12 year old) ... I reset the mileage calculator on the dash "upon entering the highway" (instead from the city point of origin) and achieved 22.9 PER GALLON at 65 MPH! Not bad at all! It was actually nice driving the speed limit and enjoying the ride while our son watched DVD's in the back too. My wife commented on the way down and back how nice it drove and comfortable it was and I couldn't argue with that!
    Hope this helps!
  • heather2heather2 Member Posts: 1
    hello i realize this question has nothing to do with your post however i can't seem to figure this forum out. i am looking for pictures of the new 2006 ford explorer. i seen a picture once and now i can't find it again. the new explorer has a new front end and the inside looks like the F150. can anyone help me find these pictures again. thanks
    heather
    Heather,

I'm not finding any pics of the '06 model but you can find current ('05) pics using the drop down menus at top of this page (over on the right) where is says "Go to" (select make and select model).

tidester, host
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Officially, no 2006 Explorer pictures have been released yet since the vehicle hasn't made it's official debut, although wait a few weeks.

The '06 Mountaineer does have pics, since it was released in the Chicago auto show.
  • momx3momx3 Member Posts: 13
    I'm considering purchasing a '97 Mountaineer. Any input, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. Also, anecdotes, good and bad of reliability, etc. Thanks a bunch!
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Gutsy,
    That's great mileage! Is your truck AWD? Can you break down the deal too, as far as the 11K off sticker goes? I am shopping and would like to see how you did that.

Thanks
    My only recommendation would be, go with the V8. It's more reliable over the 4.0L V6 unit.

Other tidbits...Grey interior hides dirt better. Some with leather interior, you will see cracks on the leather if that's an issue. The Beige upper trim on the doors (soft material) seems to discolor a bit as it ages, turns more caramely from some examples I have seen. But this isn't a serious issue either.

You could try the Explorer forum for problems/solutions, and see what other people's take have been. Of course, ALL you will hear is mostly negative thoughts because thats the purpose of that forum, so don't be disheartened by it.
    thanks a bunch! Am a bit surprised with the advice on the V8. I have to admit I was thinking the V6, strictly for fuel economy purposes. (And I won't be disheartened by the negativity, I think the Mountaineer is a great value and great to look at!)
    Actually, the V6 will spend just as much as the V8 since it has to work that much harder to get up to speed. And that 4.0L V6 isn't the most fuel efficient variety either. It's growing a bit crude with newer engines from other automaker's and it's days are numbered.
  • grepagrepa Member Posts: 3
    I've purchased a 1997 Mountaineer in December with 95,000 miles and couldn't be happier with it. In 4 months I have already put 7,000 miles on it driving through winter conditions in the mountains of SW Virginia, and have been very impressed with the engineering and capabilities of this well balanced, well powered, mid sized SUV.

My Mountaineer is the AWD 5L V-8, with 3.73 limited slip differential. It has all the options, including the moon roof, leather seats, JBL stereo with CD changer, tow package, keyless entry, etc. The interior is gray with the exterior a nice glossy black.

It looks current even when compared with today's vehicles, even though it is now 8 years old. I've received several comments on it!

My research had shown this vehicle year to be reliable. I always look at the history behind the vehicle, how well its been maintained, how it looks under the vehicle and in the engine compartment, and how it drives and behaves.

My driving route has taken me on treacherous mountainous roads, with snow up to 8 inches, icy conditions, with fog and through rain, and snowdrifts. The AWD and the ABS brake system have proven to work exceptionally well, and it took me several weeks to learn what this vehicle will do that other 2 WD and pickups could not under the same weather conditions. It will do more than I expected; but remember, you can't violate or overcome the laws of physics -- its easy to get too confident with this vehicle if you're not careful!

Check the vehicle out, and if it checks out, have fun! Hope this helps some.
    I had a 97 Mountaineer. Only one thing to expect - if it's the v-8, and I think they all were, they all had a leaky exhaust manifold problem. If that's been fixed, you're past that problem. They were great trucks, very dependable, great engines, transmissions, drive trains. No weaknesses that I know of.
    wow! the mount seems to be a fav. I have yo admit so far it's my favorite. One question nvbanker.. how will I know if that leaky exhaust manifold has been fixed?
    SOME? you're review should be on edmunds.com. Thanks for such thoroughness.... although I won't be worrying so much about the traction and offroading capabilities too much... I hate snow hehehe
    Before buying the vehicle, ask for an OASIS report. What that reports is all the TSB (technical service bullentins) and recalls that have been addressed/fix, as well as other minor issues that are/were addressed during the vehicles life.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I have a 2002 Mazda B4000 4x4 (Ranger Clone). Mazda boards are dead and I have not gotten a response on the Ranger board, so I am posting here. I have the same 4.0 SOHC V6 and 5 speed auto as the Explorer. After three years and 56,000 miles, the transmission is blown, needing over $2k in repairs. I have only towed twice (U-Haul trailers) and have not abused this vehicle. Has anyone else had such a problem with the 5 speed auto?

Also, to be more on Explorer topic, just the other day I saw an Explorer where the guy had mounted a Class III trailer hitch under his bumper. I guess his vehicle came standard with the built-in Class II. I do not know the brand, but it looks like even if you cannot swap out the old Class II, you can find someone to mount a new Class III the old fashioned way.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Built-in class II plus an added class III- does that make it a class V? LOL
  • GutsyGutsy Member Posts: 13
    Elevator guy ... I wrote about this under prices paid and buying experiences, however I was off on the amount I saved. it was $10,316 saved! Sorry!

The sticker was $38,815, -$4,500 rebate, -$4,816 dealer discount, -$500 Ford Credit, -$500 deducted from a coupon I got at the Mercury desk at the Philadelphia car show this weekend. Saved $10,316 total ... got it for $28,499 + tax, tags & registration.

Hope this helps!
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    '03 NBX V-8 Auto LS 4X4 - While changing the oil, noticed the coolant level was about 2 inches below the cold fill range on the coolant reservoir. Didn't see any signs of water/anti-freeze in the used oil. Went to top it off and noticed this thick white/light brown residue built up in the reservoir bottle. I didn't want to circulate this crud into the cooling system so I didn't top it off and decided to take it into the dealer. Guess what? This is normal for all Ford vehicles to have this build up in the cooling system. Also, two inches below the stamped cold fill range on the reservoir bottle is supposedly also normal. Has anyone else noticed this build up in the coolant reservoir? I only have 15K on this vehicle and find it hard to believe that this is normal. My '01 Chevy truck with 45K is as clear as the day I got it.
    thanks again night.. or is that knight?
    Leaky exhaust manifolds will go tick tick tick on acceleration, and it's easily heard in the cabin, as well as outside. You can't miss it. If you don't hear anything, you're just fine.
  • merc2002merc2002 Member Posts: 17
    55mph>20-22mpg
    70mph>17-18mpg
    i only have a class 2 hitch and i run 44psi in my oem tires...i run Mobil 1 and fuel injector cleaner every other tankful..i don't drive like a granny but not like an idiot either..stock plugs and wires aix air filter...i haven't changed the fuel filter yet but was wondering when i should..when do i change my plugs and wires and should i buy the oem plugs and wires or go aftermarket?...i have 50k on it right now so is it a good time to look at something else?thansk for any help..
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    I bought a 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 in 2002. It is mechanically very similar or the same as the MM. It is a superb vehicle, reliable and a joy to drive! If you do your research carefully, you will find out the V6 engine and the 5 Speed Automatic transmission are just asking for trouble. The V6 has a rediculous timing chain design, with one in the front of the engine and one in the back of the engine, and they cause noise and problems. To replace the rear timing chain, the engine has to be pulled out. Very Expensive if you have to pay for it out of your pocket. The 5 speed transmission is no better. Hopefully they will discontinue the V6 and the 5 speed transmission behind it soon.
    The 5.0 L V8 Engine however, is a very reliable, time proven, race proven engine that has been around for a long time. It is the old pushrod design, not quite as powerful as the newer 4.6L OHC V8, but still very reliable and trouble free. The 4R70W 4 speed overdrive transmission behind it is equally as competent, a very reliable, time proven, race proven transmission. GO with the reliable V8 and you get the strong reliable transmission with it.
    I just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer with 5.0 V8 and the 4R70W transmission, and it is wonderful!
    These vehicles will easily run way past 200,000 miles with good care. Recommend using nothing but Full Synthetic motor oil and Synthetic Oil Filter on the engine, changing Synthetic oil and Synthetic filter every 7,000 to 7,500 miles. Use Full Synthetic Rear axle lube. Use Full Synthetic Chasis Grease. Keep all suspension bushings, door hinges, and window channels lubed with spray lube WD40 and Spray White Grease (very light on the grease around the windows, do not make a mess).
    Good Luck
    E.D.
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Merc2002.
    That's good mileage. What are the details of your truck (model, engine, 4WD, etc.)?

Thanks
  • garymgarym Member Posts: 1
    Steve, I am bringing my 04 Mountaineer (20,000mi)to the dealership tomorrow for the same problems you describe above. I experience the rough engagement to reverse even when going from "Park" to reverse. It has to be at running temperature as well. My Mountaineer is a V6 with AWD that Ford issued a service bulletin recall for a few months back (after I had started experiencing the BOOM engagement to reverse and jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd gears) in which all they did was pour an additive into the transmission fluid. My problem did not get better at all, matter of fact, I think it got worse. I would like the article you refer to above if possible as I don't think my dealership wants to do anything which will cost much money before they exhaust the cheap fix methods. Sounds like I need to ask for a new shift solenoid. I am slightly suspect of the original transmission fluid as well given the additive they put in. Perhaps I should ask for a fresh fill of whatever Ford is using today in their new units as I am told it is in fact different.
    thanks..i like this merc definetly...its a 2002 4.6L AWD Premier model... doesn't have the tow package so i have a smaller gear for better mileage...pulls like a bear when i carry 4 adults..just switched to mobil 1 but i want to change all the fluids to synthetic also....makes a difference in my pickup by 2mpg...interior wise it has backup sensor,adjustable foot pedals,electrochromatic mirror,heated outside mirrors,two tone leather ,dual heated front seats ,dual power seats,digital climate control,audio and heating and cruise on steering wheel with cd/cassette player,universal homelink thing and powered moonroof.
    ps..the 1 thing i absolutely love is the fact the 2nd row windows go fully down..not like my safety windows in my Taurus
    is it the same AWD tranny thats in a 4.6L?if it is they might be able to do a reprogram...i got mine done after noticing a lag in the shift points...not much but they were there..now they are fixed and it shifts like a different vehicle
  • bdinfluancebdinfluance Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 2001 mountaineer, (couldnt pass up the deal).. my question... is there third row seating, after-market or OEM, available for this truck? if so, where do i find it? i love the truck, but want the extra seating. Can someone help? thanks
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    They redesigned the Explorer for 02-"dropped the floor" and added a 3rd row seat as a option. Why in the world did you buy an '01 if you needed a 3rd row?
    Yes, the 01 is a great truck - but will only seat 5 - forever - I'm afraid.
    I have a 1997 Mountaineer, 5L V8, AWD that has recently tuned 103,000 miles. The vehicle has run great, and I've been delighted with it.

My question is: is it time for me to change all of the fluids (differentials and transfer cases) and the spark plugs?

I've gotten widely different opinions. The Ford dealer says to do so, and quoted a rather high dollar amount. The Lincoln/Mercury dealer said neither was necessary to do, unless I was having problems or the engine was starting to miss.

What is your advice? The transmission fluids have been recently changed, by the way.
    I've got a 1997 Mountaineer that has just turned 103,000. Its been a great reliable and capable vehicle to date.

Yesterday, the check engine light came on. It has never done this before.

I noticed that the fuel was almost empty when this happened (check gauge light came on).

I refilled the tank, then manually cleared the trouble light by removing the battery cable from the battery and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. I then reconnected the cable and restarted it, allowing the engine to run for 10 minutes. This manual procedure cleared the trouble light and I've not had it come back on since.

Is it likely the cause was an almost empty gas tank? Or is there another common cause for the vehicle at about 103,000 miles?
    If the computer had a code stored in it, the light will come back on after a period of time. Your best bet is to go to Autozone where they will read the code for you. It turns out that 99.9% of the time when that light comes on-something needs attention. By "clearing it" by disconnecting the battery, you are only postponing the inevitable! Hey, it's got 103K on it, so you will need to get something fixed, after that many "good miles" it's no big deal!
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    After 20+ years of owning a Ford product, I finally said enough was enough. Yesterday, I traded my wife's '03 Explorer NBX (lemon from day 1) for an '05 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V-8. I was really impressed with the smooth V-8 and 5-speed auto tranny in the 4Runner. Paid $154 over invoice plus $200 doc prep and registration fee. I was very happy with the deal. I also got 0.9% financing for 36 months. I was also surprised that they gave me $18000 for the Explorer, which was $1500 over KBB trade-in value. I did take a pretty good bath on this Explorer. Sticker was $36,170, paid $26,000. $8,000 is quite a hit for owning the vehicle only 15 months. I really had a hard time buying a foreign-made vehicle, but the Toyotas seem to hold their resale value much better, not to mention their reputation for reliability. I haven't given up on all American manufacturers yet, though. I really do like my '01 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4X4 and would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a middle of the road towing vehicle (5,000 - 7,500 lbs.) GOOD LUCK to all you Ford owners. I hope you have better luck with Ford products than I did.
    I have just over 36,000 miles on my wife's '02 XLT w/the V6. The only mechanical issues has been the transmission solenoid that was replaced under warranty. I have had a few "rattles" that had to be addressed. Sorry, about your Explorer. This has never happened to me on a new car (buying a lemon). I did however, get stuck with some bad used cars a couple of times...back when. They did give you a good trade-in on your Explorer. The thing is that it will either be resold at the dealership, or at auction and someone else will have a load of trouble. This is why everyone should run a carfax. When a individual trades-in a car after a short time-there is usually a pretty good reason for it!
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Sounds like you got a really good deal. It's good to know that a Toyota dealership would go over KBB trade-in value on an invoice deal!
  • biosbios Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Expplorer '02 XLT 4dr. Can it have the gauges cluster from Mountaineer '02? It has a white faced gauges that looks a lot more cool than that of the Explorer with black faced gauges with green lights. Does anybody know if this is possible?
  • attykevinattykevin Member Posts: 5
    Just bought an '04 Mountaineer - monochrome black, V8, AWD, loaded w/ every conceivable option. I love it, but I wish it had the bench seat in the back. Does anyone know whether you can take out the rear console and put in a seat? Would you have to take out the two seats on either side also, if you wanted to put in a bench seat? Anybody heard anything about this?
  • 1stmountie1stmountie Member Posts: 13
    Your post is almost ditto mine from back in November. Here it is now, March 23, and I am still having the same problems. First, they changed the solenoid. This, after I had already seen an article regarding the tranny fluid additive, which at the time they did not do stating it was a faulty/defective/incorrect solenoid. Back at the dealership within a month. Told my replaced solenoid, that replaced a defective solenoid, was defective. Changed it again. Same problems continued. Then got the letter in the mail regarding the additive. Brought it in for that. Same problems. I will be bringing it in this coming Monday for scheduled maintenance, inspection AND, to hopefully resolve this transmission issue once and for all.

Initial problem with mine was hard reverse engagement from a forward gear, for example: a three point turn. Then became slow engagements between 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd. This past Sunday, while only doing it once, heard a whining noise from the tranny.

From my perspective, a guy who seldom buys new vehicles, and does alot of research before buying a new vehicle, this is absolutely unacceptable.

Good luck to you. Let me know if get resolution.
    The rear console bolts to the floor, so you can take it out, but it's gonna leave holes. You can't replace it easily though. You'd have to retrofit the entire second row with a new unit, and if your car isn't designed for it, it's gonna be a small nightmare. Possible, but expensive, and challenging. Unless it's really necessary, I'd learn to love the uniqueness of the second row console.
    How many miles do you have on your Mountie, 1stmountie?
  • boatbumboatbum Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Sport Trac thinking that down the line I'd tow a small boat. Well, its "down the line" and I'm finding out the tow capacity is really low because I bought a manual transmission instead of an automatic. The boat I want puts us 100 lbs over the limit. Everyone keeps telling me it'll be fine but it sure seems risky. Anyone have any experience towing a boat using a Sport Trac 4x4 manual transmission?
  • wolfinbluewolfinblue Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking to get a 98-00 Explorer. Can anyone compare the 160 HP V6 with the 205 HP SOHC V6? Acceleration, towing capacity? I haven't been able to find the towing capacity anywhere.

I have a need to tow about 1500 lbs, will the 160 hp engine be strong enough or should I take the time to find an Explorer equiped with the 205 HP engine? I'm finding many of the 160 HP vehicles that are in my price range and have the options I would like, but only finding a couple with the SOHC engine.

Thanks in advance!
    The 4.0L OHV V6 was the sole engine in the Explorer for many years, which was rated at 160HP, what helped it was the torque at 225TQ and that's important for towing.

Around 96 I believe, the 4.0L Cologne SOHC V-6 was introduced, giving it 205HP and 225TQ. And that has varied throughout the years from 205-210HP/225-240TQ.

I would opt for the new 4.0L SOHC V6 over the first 4.0L V6 if you can. NOT because it's an unreliable engine, but that engines consumes a bit of oil as it ages. (You can always add if need be). Even better would be if you can opt. for the 5.0L V8 which will give you similar fuel economy over the 4.0L V6, and definately bulletproof.

As for towing, look for one with a higher axle ratio, 3:73 I believe was the highest at that time, maybe 4:10 was introduced around 96-97 if I remember correctly.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    The V-8 is Definitly the way to go for trailer towing, more power, more torque.

ANT - just a clarification on terminology, Higher axle ratios are lower numbers, Lower axle ratios are higher numbers. A 3.08 axle ratio is higher than a 3.73 axle ratio. A 4.10 axle ratio is a very low axle ratio, often used in drag racing.