Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I should have clarified a higher "number".
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Anyone do a significant amount of off-roading with your Explorer? Not high-speed; mainly crawling over mountain roads way into the boonies.

The Explorer seems to be what I need to reduce nasty hikes when seeking a geocache. Opinions?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    and all these years I thought a 4.11 rear was a high-ratio rear end, thinking that 4.11 to 1 was a higher ratio than 3.73 to 1.....
    Numerically it's higher obviously. It just means the wheels are turning at a bit over 4 times, per what the drive-shaft turns. And with the lower numbers... the wheels turns a bit over 3 times, etc. etc. The higher the number, the quicker it takes off which in turn helps with towing. The only drawback, at higher speeds your top end fuel economy drops about 1MPG.
    "...Numerically it's higher obviously. It just means the wheels are turning at a bit over 4 times, per what the drive-shaft turns. And with the lower numbers... the wheels turns a bit over 3 times..."

I believe the opposite is true. The driveshaft turns 4 times per wheel rev..., etc.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    I have found the Explorer to have very low traction off road (at least in all types of sand); 04 V6 4x4
    Does anyone know if the '05 Explorer "Trailer Towing Prep Package - Class III/IV" has springs & shocks that are different from standard?

Or, do you know how I can find out FOR SURE?
  • 1stmountie1stmountie Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to get back to you so late. Been very busy at work.

Mountie is in service department as I write this. My 04 Mountaineer has 10,480 miles on it.
  • techlarrytechlarry Member Posts: 2
    Well, if it is because of the friction additive, that's not a problem in 2005.

That's because there are NO limited-slip axle options in 2005.

All 2005's have AdvanceTrac, Traction Control and Roll Stability Control. Limited Slip is not an option any longer.

Larry
  • techlarrytechlarry Member Posts: 2
    I just traded in a 2003 Ranger 4X4 on a 2005 Explorer XLT Sport.

The Ranger had a 4:10 ratio. You guys haven't seen bad gas mileage out of a 4.0 :)

Went like stink though!

-Larry
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    that's interesting. i'm not a big fan of traction control because it can burn through brakes. what is the difference between all those systems?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • syncomsyncom Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer (4.6 L, V8) and thought I was told that the warranty on my transmission was for 75,000 miles. Is this correct, or am I dreaming?
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    I dunno what's really wrong with my 4.0L V6 MM. I use Mobile 1 (if anybody need a used car, buy any of mine - they are PERFECTLY mainteined). Drive like Mom Theresa (she used to drive- she is dead now - for those who migth have skipped this important change in her life). My son drives '01 MM with the 5L V8/100,000 miles old car and gets 23 highway/18 city. How come I get 15 in mixed driving?!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Uh, you're dreaming, or smoking, or something....... It's 36,000 miles.
    If you keep it under 2000 RPM, you should be posting something decent...Anything you rev past that....SLURP....
  • bmw31bmw31 Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a 2002 Explorer XLT in 12/03 with 23K. It now has 74K on it. So far everything has been good except a rear hub assy that went bad and did $1000 in damage. Getting about 18mpg (85% highway) Right now I owe what it's worth - with gas prices today, should I consider getting rid of it? (Spending 350+/month) Can someone make me feel better by saying they have high mileage and low problems? The mechanic at the dealership didn't exactly give me any good feelings about the long term durability of the Explorers. And yes - he worked at a Ford dealership.
    The mechanic at the dealership has a biased sample. He sees only those with problems, not the Explorers that are trouble-free.
    I have a 04 Explorer with 150,000 miles on her, she's tired, uses some oil, but she runs fine, every day, costs me nothing in repairs, literally. The worst problem I have is some wierd brake problems with the right front wheel every so often. Original transmission & engine, A/C still works, 4 wheel drive is inoperative presently, but it could work if I would fix the shift motor, just too lazy to do it. I would not be afraid to keep the car at all.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    Posts #2409 & #2411 did not state what engine was in the vehicle. That can make a huge difference in the Long Term Reliablity of the vehicle. The V8 is much more reliable and trouble free than the V6, Also the V8 comes with the 4R70W Transmission, whick is also much more reliable and trouble free. The V6 has the more troublesome 5 speed transmission. I've owned 4 Explorers, I currently own 2 explorers, a 1997 XLT V8 with 136K miles, and a 2000 XLT V8 with 100,000 miles, both of them are VERY excellent vehicles. We intend to drive each of these vehicles until they have over 200K miles on them, with NO MAJOR repairs. I maintain everything on these vehicles myself, including Engine, Transmission, A/C, Suspension, Brakes & Electrical, using only top quality parts, synthetic oils, synthetic filters & synthetic lubricants.
    E.D. :)
    Also, have ya noticed how many of the first generation Explorers there still are on the road? Says a lot about the longevity of the trucks.
    Friday my neighbor took me on a six-hour 88 mile trip in his '94 Explorer. We went OVER/THROUGH the Santa Rita mountains. The nastiest road I've ever experienced. Constant severe jostling and road impacts. Had a rattle in the driver's door trim panel ... that's it! A number of sections of the road that were impassable with two-wheel drive.

He doesn't do roads this severe regularly, but most of the Explorer miles are off-road. Except for the highway miles pulling his 3,000# trailer.

My mind is boggled by the severe beatings this vehicle shrugs off. And it's totally stock.
    Same story with my 94 - and I've been a fan of Explorers ever since, with my 97, my 98, my 02 and my current 04 as well. They're good rigs. My 94 is getting really tired now, but it's seen some awful abuse the past 2 years with my son driving it. He's a Terminator for machines......
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    may I ask how you have an 04 Explorer, only last year's model, with 150K miles on it???...do you ever sleep, or just drive it 15 hours daily???...:):):):)
    Has there really been no posts here since April 4?
    "may I ask how you have an 04 Explorer, only last year's model, with 150K miles on it???...do you ever sleep, or just drive it 15 hours daily???..."

Did I say that? I apologize - it's my 94 with 150K on her....and I've got the old Girl up for sale now...I've added a couple of Mustangs to the family fleet and decided to retire some of the older cars.
    My 04 (Mountaineer) has 10K on her. Just a typo......
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I bought an 03 XLT Sport with leather seats with 34K miles that was put in service in Nov 2002.

The driver side seat bottom has a little hump/ bulg on the left side of the cushion. It feels like foam under the leather is folding/bunching. The right side has the same feel but to much lesser extend. I feel it is a defect. The dealer says that Ford is very particular about seat defects ( they must have replaced a lot of them, if they are getting SENSITIVE now!) My 96 Toyota Camry has leather seats, and does not have the problem, My wife's 2001 Lexus RX 300 has leather seats, and does not have the problem either. So what is up with Explorer leather?

As soon as I bought, I took it to our local dealer to check on a whining noise that I tought it was the rear axle, and to fix a leak where drive shaft meets the rear axle. The left front bearing was bad making the noise, and the seal to rear axle was also bad and was replaced.

I bought an Explorer because it is better looking than Toyota 4runner, and can pull better. But under warranty, the truck appeared to have a few things that needed fixing. Right before its 36K miles, I bought the 5 years/75K miles drivetrain warranty. I hope I never need it. My 93 Ranger with 148K miles with 4.0L engine that have owned since 99, has given me ZERO problems.

I like the look of the Explorers, and hope mine stays trouble free. It gets 20.8mpg on the highway, and pulling a 2800Lbs camper, it got 17.5mpg driving to Florida.

Joe
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "The driver side seat bottom has a little hump/ bulg on the left side of the cushion. It feels like foam under the leather is folding/bunching. The right side has the same feel but to much lesser extend. I feel it is a defect."

Yea. mine is doing the same thing. These seats are garbage and Ford knows it. The leather they speced is WAY TOO THIN- and what ever the seats are made of underneath isn't that good either. If they do fix it, their solution is another leather seat cover. Do yourself a favor and take it to a good upholstery shop!
    I see your fleet includes a 2004 Mountaineer. In view of the major changes for 2006, are you tempted to upgrade?
    Not sure what to tell you on the seat, Joe - I had an 02 Mountaineer and have an 04 Mountaineer, neither had a problem with the Leather seats, and they should be very much the same. Have never heard of this complaint before either. I would think yours therefore, is indeed, defective. But if you're over the 36,000 miles, it's gonna be hard to press Ford to adjust it now. Any car company resists stuff that is non-mechanical after the original factory warranty is up being claimed. They expect it to be a "wear item". It gets kind of subjective, you know, our opinion vs. theirs. I did have a leather steering wheel go bunchy on my 97 Explorer inside 2 years - really rare, never seen another one do that, but I just turned it in on a 98 and forgot about it. Don't know what would have happened had I pressed them about replacing it. Frankly, it could have been my grip on the wheel, but I've never done it to another car either. I think it was defective.
    Am I tempted to upgrade to a 2006? Not really, because my lease isn't up until 2007 - then we'll see. But frankly, we really like the 04 a lot. If it performs long term as well as it has so far, it could be a keeper like the 94 Explorer was and stay in the "fleet". I tend to lease most new vehicles, and if we love them, buy them out of the lease, if we aren't in love with them, turn them back for new ones. My 02 Mountaineer was a fine vehicle - but I never really loved it because of the 4.0L engine in it. The 04 we got with the 4.6L V-8, which makes all the difference to me. This one, we love. Then again, once we SEE the 06 or 07.....things could change......
    * 292 HP
    * 3-valve, variable cam timing.
    * 6-speed auto transmission
    * Floor shift
    * Increased fuel economy
    * Reduced NVH
    * Auto-retractable running boards
    * True fold-flat load floor
    * Other stuff
    Is this forum dead, or what?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They all have occasional lulls. Did you have a question?

Steve, Host
    No question. I just expected more activity on a forum of the best-selling SUV. On active forums, there's usually discussion about current model features, speculation & fact about future models, descriptions & discussions about modifications, complaints and praises about the manufacturer ...

Maybe I'm on the wrong board.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I guess that there's not much to say. The board will probably get more active closer to the arrival of the redesigned 2006 Explorers/Mountaineers
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, here's a few more discussions; feel free to jump in and get some dialogue going!

Ford Explorer: Problems & Solutions

Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

2006 Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer

2007 Explorer Sport Trac (ok, that may say Explorer, but it's a pickup...)

Steve, Host
    * 292 HP - Well, I think the 260hp is enough, but I'll take 292hp.
    * 3-valve, variable cam timing. - that's a good thing.
    * 6-speed auto transmission - nothing wrong with that.
    * Floor shift - hate to lose the utility of the console, but it's nice too.....
    * Increased fuel economy - always a great idea, especially today.
    * Reduced NVH - wonderful idea!!
    * Auto-retractable running boards - not a big fan of those.......
    * True fold-flat load floor - great idea....
    * Other stuff -who can hate stuff!!

I'm interested, but will have to wait out my lease...... As you can tell from my profile, I've got lots of rolling stock, at the moment, it's all Ford too, but one. And I think I've lost the Caravan, (long story, it's stuck in Florida). My next one to replace will be my Navigator, in 10 months... :shades:
    The Navigator should also have the 6-speed based on the Lepelletier gear train. Same features as in the Jag S-Type & XJ8.

I'm with you on the loss of console space, but since I'll be doing off-roading & a lot of gear changes, I like the linear motion of the floor shift, vs. rotary of column.

Ain't 'stuff' great?
    which is why I like the Navigator, and the Fords, they got lots of stuff.....

I agree, when I'm off roading, the console shift, is much more convenient than the column shift..... In town, not so much, but I'm in town 6 days out of 7, ya know.

The new Navigator has the 6 speed Transmission, and it's sweet. Gives the truck a completely different personality than my 03 has.... Much spunkier in the low speeds.
    How is the shift quality of the transmission?

* Upshifts at various conditions: WOT, moderate accel., trickery (WOT with abrupt lifting the throttle)
    * Downshifts (kick-down, and manual selection of lower gear)
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Hoping to get some feedback from '05 Mountaineer owners: I have a '00 Expedition with only 41K miles, have been getting letters/calls from the L/M dealer that services it saying they have buyers waiting for low mileage Expys. I had no intention of trading as it's been reliable and just put 4 new tires on it, BUT- I'm intrigued and may go see what kind of a deal can be worked (I'm a very experienced negotiator so don't need help there). My question is: How have the '05s been reliability-wise? I've seen some of the horror stories posted about '03 Expy's and Explorers (rear end whine, front end issues, poor quality of electrical, etc) but not as much about the Mountaineer. It seems the later '04 and '05 Expy's/Explorers have been much better, which holds with most Ford owners experience with first-year designs- they just don't quite get it right till year 2 and beyond. Any experiences, good or bad, would be much appreciated! :)
    Don't have an 05, but I do have an 04 - only problem has been the bad solenoid pack in the transmission, that the recall fixed without incident. It's been rock solid other than that. Really like the truck.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have a '00 Expedition with only 41K miles, have been getting letters/calls from the L/M dealer that services it saying they have buyers waiting for low mileage Expys.

Hello!! - THIS IS AN OLD DEALERS TRICK TO GET YOU INTO THE DEALERSHIP. As a matter of fact (now nothing personal here) nothing could be farther than the truth. I am looking for a used '03 to '04 Expedition. There is a FLOOD of used 2000 to 2002's out there. Why? Because if you recall Ford dropped the floor and changed the suspension in '02 in the Explorer. Then in '03 they did the same thing to the Expedition. S0- there is no comparison in ride quality between pre 2003 Expeditions. Consequently, they are VERY SOFT on the used SUV market even though Cosmetically there isn't much difference. Ask your dealer this - will you give me high blue book for mine if they are that much in demand? And then I will buy a new one at $100.00 over invoice! And one more thing-Why would there be buyers in line when gas is $2.50 a gallon on a vehicle that gets no more than 14 in the City? Does this make sense?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    i went from a '00 expedition to an '02 explorer. if you need the room, a mountaineer or explorer just won't cut it. the ride isn't a smooth, although the irs takes corner bumps better. overall it's a great practical package. get the v8.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Pretty much what I figured, without going to speak with them. If you are looking at used '03s, be careful and view all the posts here and elsewhere- they are loaded with problems and are dogs (IRS and folding 3rd seat aside). '04's seem much better. Even the gas mileage on the new ones is pretty weak; I can't imagine many buyers out there for new or used SUV's ( just the poor slobs like me that need one to tow!).
  • jvigil88jvigil88 Member Posts: 21
    I am looking to purchase a used 2002 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4X2 with 31,000 miles on it. Are there any problems I should be aware of? What are other peoples opinion of this year and model?

Thanks!

Janell
    I had one - I loved it - traded it for an 04, which I also love. Had no serious issues with it. Only one minor one - a cracked liftgate, which Ford fixed, no problem.
  • suvb4wintersuvb4winter Member Posts: 27
    We've had this as a persistent problem with our 1998 Mercury Mountaineer for awhile now. Brakes make a high pitched squeal all the time, even after brakes, rotors and pads have been replaced(more than once). We've used the Lincoln/Mercury dealer as well as a private mechanic. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    It's the Brake Pads. What kind did they use? I internet ordered the CARBON METALLIC Brake Pads for my 1997 Explorer, and they run very quiet, no dust, and last a long time. They coat the rotor and make the rotors last longer. They have been on the Explorer for over 2 years now, and still plenty of lining left, I estimate they will last at least 4 years total, and go over 60,000 miles. I order all my brake pads on the internet now, very convienient, better than waiting until you need them and not being able to find them locally.
  • oldfordoldford Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 Explorer XLT AWD with 122k. Original tires by Firestone went 80k and then by luck of a recall were replaced for free by Michelins which themselves will need to be replaced soon. Have done brakes, ball joints for the second time (first time under warranty, why so soon and often?) but this time they have grease fittings. Car vibrates at 70 mph and front tires are worn on outer edge so I may be looking at front end repairs for the third time. Check engine light was on many times with miscellaneous repairs under extended warranty. When warranty expired I ignored the light because the car ran flawlessly and it was never clear to me that the Ford garage ever did anything significant. Then the state inspection changed the rules so last Fall the car did not pass and I got a $1060 repair bill (mostly labor) to put out the light and give a tune up (which I do not deny may have been due at this mileage). One month later the light came on again which makes me wonder what they really did at the Ford garage. To me it looks like this may be the tip of the iceberg in expensive repairs coming up. Does anybody have any experience with this car at such a mileage? I have no doubt the engine will go to 200k but it is the electronic junk and the front end that I am concerned about. I would like to keep it a couple more years if I could gain some confidence that I could keep repairs around $1000 per year which is my past experience with other older cars... or should I trade it now (I will get very little, $4-5k if I am "lucky" and only because the car is clean in and out)?