Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• wrdaughertywrdaugherty Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 XLT with the manual climate control unit, but I'm wondering how easy it would be to replace it with the automatic climate control unit. Is it simply a matter of switching the control units in the dash or is there different wiring involved or maybe some sensors that the automatic system uses that I'd have to install as well...any ideas?

I'm also wondering how easy it would be to install the in-console message center that's usually found in Eddie Bauer and Limited models...anybody know anything about this?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I linked over to that thread, backtracked a few pages, but cannot seem to find the start of it...since you seem aware of the whole thing, can you enlighten me on the number of the post that started it???...thanks...

Bob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Bob, I think this was the start although I was late hearing about the thread myself:

lhess, "Dealer's Tricks - bait & switch, etc." #4134, 14 Dec 2005 10:58 am

The story has been floating around here in Boise since late November.

Don't forget your Blue Oval, Ford fans. (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Changed oil every 5000 miles, serviced transmission every 25,000.
  • wcf2alteregowcf2alterego Member Posts: 8
    Your wife drives the smallest Volvo made. So what?

Volvo wagons can tow, not a yacht mind you but I don't have one of those any more than you do. Your Mountaineer can probably tow the moon, right? I suppose its MPG improves two miles for every pound, eh?

I can put all I need to in the V70. An entire hockey team's equipment will fit and that's plenty. Yes, the V70 probably cost every bit the price of your oval junk. Only difference is the factory didn't get over on me to the tune of 30-45% gross. Factory not dealer. But each to their own.

You are right, I wasn't comparing comparables. Didn't intend to either. Believe me, I know that a crappy blue oval product is no comparison to a Volvo BFFIU.
    Wow, calm down, already! You are aware that the Blue Oval also makes your Volvo V-70, a fine wagon, aren't you? The Blue Oval is basing most of their larger sedans now, off the Volvo P-2 platform. I don't think you can get insulting about Ford, when you drive a Swedish version and like it, can you?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    all i can say is that anyone who puts an entire hockey team's equipment in their car has no sense of smell. :P
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    "all i can say is that anyone who puts an entire hockey team's equipment in their car has no sense of smell."

Ha ha.....good one!
    Thanks for the link...I read the case...while I certainly believe that the dealer (dealers?) acted unconscionably now you know why I would rather do auto accident work and bankruptcy...simpler, more cut and dried...

The attorney will probably win, but the other factors are interesting...why does an Alz patient drive, and why have a driver's license???...could he have had a lucid moment when he signed the contract???...unlikely, but possible...

Similar problems are seen with making out wills for the senile...if they have a lucid time for 2 hours out of the day, if they sign a will in those 2 hours, it is valid and they were momentarily of "sound mind and body"...if they can answer what day it is, where they are, who the President of the US is, why they are there (I am here to sign my will determining where my assets will go when I die), and maybe a few other questions, they can be lucid for signing a will...it would be prudent for the atty to videotape the signing so that the lucidity can be preserved...

So when Junior contests the will, saying he should get his 90 year old father's millions, and Dad left them to an 18 year old busty blonde, the video will tell us if Dad knew what he was doing, ir if Dad "knew" what he was doing...

Note to self: Leaving anything to an 18 year old busty blonde may be a smart move when I draft my will...think my wife will notice??? :cry: :P ;)

Bob
    Nice analysis, but you really should post it over in the Tricks discussion. ;)

Steve, Host
    Sorry, I got carried away with my analysis, and did not stop to think of the topic where I was located...I guess my post is not QUITE directly related to the Exp/Mteer topic...

But the Alz guy COULD have bought an Explorer!!!
    "if they can answer what day it is, where they are, who the President of the US is, why they are there"

My birthday, Cancun, Reagan & the Miss America pageant....

Can I sign now?
    Don't worry, nv, I already forged your signature on 3 different contracts...one for my 2006 Jag XJ8L, one for my $850K house in upper ritzy zone, and one for my undetermined SUV, Durango, Explorer/Mteer, Santa Fe (see my SUV posts in other topics for my questions and thoughts)

Wait!!..since you are paying for these, I no longer have to decide...thanks for buying me all 3...Durango & Santa Fe with AWD, and Expy with 4WD...thanks, dude, what a guy!!!...and just in time for Christmas... :P :shades:
    I highly recommend the AMC Concorde with 4WD. :shades:
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The new Explorer was just awarded Truck oif the Year award by the Free Press.

Link
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    And I thought I was the only one old enough here to remember the AMC Concord! :) Actually, my wife owned one when we got married, but not 4WD. All the paint on the hood and roof was coming off in big flakes; real quality!
    Too late, I just bought a restored AMC Pacer, and got a free Gremlin as a premium...kinda like getting a free toaster for opening a savings account at the bank...but what would you know about that??? ;););)
    Look - if I can remember the Concorde - I can sure remember toasters for new accounts! Gave one away (as a joke) just this year, in fact!

A restored Pacer? I think the new Lincoln Aviator is copied after that design - we'll see. The Pacer though not a bad car, used to start rusting in the showroom, as I recall....
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    What's a Matador?
    "What's a Matador? "... is that what you say when your door won't cooperate?
    Same family, full sized Sedan circa 1973 or so. Not even distantly related to an Explorer. I had one, drove a lot like a Plymouth, frankly.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Crash Testing released by NHTSA shows the Explorer received Quad-5 Star rating. Frontal and side.

LINK
    No no no! "What's a Matador" was a commercial/slogan that AMC ran for a very long time. Matador was a large sedan that competed with GM, Ford and Chrysler's large cars. Unfortunately it would have been easier just to build a path straight from the factory to the junkyard.

My brother had a mid-70's Matador that was a few years old when he bought it for peanuts. Unfortunately the guy getting the peanuts got the better end of the deal.
    Oh yeah! I remember that campaign now! It was pretty effective too, actually. Nobody ever bought a second Matador though, you're right.
    The ad was so memorable, it's still in my head 30+ years later. Unfortunately I have only vague recollection of what the car (if you can call it that) looked like...it was a rust bomb within 2 years and I only remember the rot and rust.
    I had mine new in Tallahassee Florida in 73-74. It actually ran pretty good. I did have a lot of repairs for a young car, figured AMC was not the car company for me.
    Apparently A LOT of people figured that! Although to be fair most of the Detroit iron of that era was crap. Real crap. I remember Dad had a Lincoln Continental (the big car analogous to today's Towne Car) that had big rust within 2 years. And we had a 1970 Nova that had carberator issues constantly. Then we got a 1976 Mercury Monarch (Granada) that overheated all the time. Probably GM were the best vehicles of that era. Interestingly, we also had a 1974 Chevy Malibu that I know for a fact got 9MPG around town. Our 2003 Mountaineer gets 13, which still sucks but is 40% better and much bigger, heavier, roomier. I guess the Malibu was also big and heavy but certainly not at all roomy. In those days vehicles were just bulk and not good utilization of space like today.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    So I guess nobody cares but me. Leaving now to look at one.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    No, a lot of us do care and have seen the report, but not all of us are in the market for a new 2006 Explorer. I think that is one reason that many drivers prefer an SUV, because they feel safer and more protected than they would be in a passenger car. I've seen many crashes between SUV's and Cars, I was involved in one, my wife was involved in one, and the SUV always wins.

E.D. in Sunny Florida
    Well, you're partially right with me. I never check crash ratings. I mean, it's nice the Explorer took the trophy - but I don't live my life quite that way, and unless the car was a death trap, the crash rating wouldn't factor into the equation when I'm looking for a car. The Crash is too variable, for the crash rating to guarantee me anything. At least, that's how I see it.
    I noticed that my '03 Mountaineer V8 is almost ready for it's 45,000 mile oil change (I change every 5000). I also noticed that it's down a quart...never did that before. No leaking either. Is this a potential problem, or just normal aging?
    IMO, it COULD be a potential problem, but I seriously doubt it. I've had these engines use 3 quarts the first 10,000 miles, then stop completely and never use another quart. I've had them normally use about a quart per 5,000 miles, so I would think it may just be finally broken in.... Just watch it. These are extremely good motors, so I would be very surprised if it's a problem. Remember, up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles isn't considered excessive by the experts. It is by me, but I'm not an expert :P

One other thing it could be - a different brand or grade of oil put in last time it was changed? Is this possible?
    Yes, it's possible. I always use a Ford or LM dealer, but there are 3 I choose from depending on schedules and what coupon I have. So it's very possible. It's also possible that it was not full to begin with...although I check oil and tire pressure on the 1st and 15th of every month so at worst it was not full by half a quart. Anything more deficient than that I would have noticed. But you do make a good point. I added a quart today...it will be about 500 more miles until the next oil change so for $2 I figured better safe than sorry. After that I'll make sure it's topped off exactly at the oil change and watch it. Thanks for making me think more about this.
    Well, here's another thought that you brought up. More than once, my dealer has shorted my engine a quart. The 5.4L takes 7 quarts and I believe the 4.6L takes 6. My son used to work at my favorite L/M dealer, and I know the kind of kids they have changing oil, and they're on a 22 minute time limit too, so shaving or forgetting a quart is possible, and it happens all the time. Now, I check when I get it home. Often, it's not full. Here's the clincher though. One time I called my service advisor to report the quart low and inform him I was coming back. His answer? "Why don't you just put in another quart yourself"! I'm still laughing......and no I didn't, I took it back and made them do it.
  • imabotaimabota Member Posts: 15
    '06 mountaineer looks like a rediculously great value for a lease. are there any hidden problems? what deals have people seen? thanks
    Try the Mercury Mountaineer: Lease Questions discussion too; it could use a jump start. There's a more active Ford Explorer: Lease Questions discussion but I don't know if the deals are comparable.

Steve, Host
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The Mtneer and Explorer have the same programs. The Mountaineer though is a better value the way the equipment is packaged.

Either way, you should be in the low to mid $400s with about 1.5k out of pocket and 15k miles per year.

Picking a lower trim level doesn't necessarily cost less, the Eddie Bauer right now has a better residule and rate than the XLT Explorer.

(Ford would rather have Eddie Bauers show up at auction then XLTs.)

Also for 06 there is the Eddie Bauer "Lite" which has the same equipment as the 2005 XLT Sport but no climate control or heated seats. The 2006 Eddie Bauer with Lux Package is equal to the 05 Eddie Bauer.

Mark
    mountaineer is awd. explorer has a multi mode 4wd system.
    i am not excluding one over the other, but they are very different.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    You may never check crash ratings, but your insurance company does. While it may not make a huge difference, vehicles with poor scores on crash tests cost more to insure for uninsured motorist coverage.

Furthermore, you just can't put a price on peace of mind. Granted, a five-star crash rating is no guarantee against injury, but we've all seen those shows on TV where they run cars into the offset barrier and then show the damage done to the dummies. Some vehicles are just decidedly safer than others.
    Not arguing any of that, and I've owned 5 Explorers/Mountaineer, and may well own more. I'm delighted they're as safe as possible - I'm just saying that I figure within the margins from 1-5, they're all probably safer than the car I drove 5 years ago, and that's good enough for me. I don't ever check the crash rating before I buy. Maybe I should, but I just don't.
  • scottva22scottva22 Member Posts: 26
    I am considering buying either an '05 Mountaineer or '05 Explorer Limited, but I can't find the Explorer I want with DVD Entertainment System. Does anybody know if a Ford dealer can install this? Is it pre-wired? Or would I be better off buying a third party DVD system and have it installed?

BTW - I LOVE the new 2006 Explorer but with resale value falling off the map after purchase I think I'll wait a couple of years.

Thanks in advance
    Mistake. First of all, most of the '05s are gone. So your selection will be limited. Second of all, even though the upfront cost will be less than an '06, the resale in a few years will be proportionally less than that of an '06 as well. There is no way to beat the depreciation monster on a new vehicle. The being said, why not lease an '06 so you know exactly what the deprectiation will be with no surprises. I'll bet a 2-3 year lease on an '06 will cost the same or less than buying an ''05 and selling/trading it in after the same period.
    Daryll44 - I generally agree with your comments, but I should have been more clear - I am looking at used '05s that someone has already taken the big depreciation hit on. I see several '05 Limiteds and EB's with fewer than 20K on them for around $25K-$26K. Several things keep me from leasing - we put too many miles on the car and we are writing a check for the vehicle and want to keep it to around $25K.
    Ah. Ok. Just be sure not to overpay. The problem with buying used is that the markups are huge. There is no free lunch. Overall my experience has been that the best way to own a car is to buy it new and keep it until the wheels fall off. Second best way is to buy 3 years old and keep till the wheels fall off. The second way is a bit cheaper but the first way allow you to get exactly what you want, no used car risk and you avoid the huge used car mark up. The downside is that you have to endure new car depreciation.

Hey, there is no free lunch.
  • marshallrenardmarshallrenard Member Posts: 1
    Hi to everyone from the UK...

Today the central locking and immobilizer on my 1997 Ford Explorer stopped working. Meaning the key fob doesnt do anything. I (foolishly?) changed the battery in the key fob after the defect started... The cars parked up and not going anywhere until I can get the immobilizer immobilized!!

Ive read about turning the key in the ignition, "shorting" out pins in connectors etc etc but before I go down that route I wondered if anyone here had come across a similar problem in the past.

Is it that the car/fob need reprogramming? Would I be best to go to a car security expert or a fFord main dealer???

Help Please!

Gavin
    Insert key into ignition with doors closed.

Click to on position(just short of start) then back to off position about six times.

When you hear the doors lock then unlock, leave the key in the on position then push the button on the remote with the new battery in it.

If you accidently turn the key to the off position after the locks click. Don't worry, just remove the key and insert and start over again.

This only works with the factory system.

Mark.
    If you can find a Mountaineer Premier, you have a pretty good chance of catching it with a factory DVD unit in it.
    The DVD was not a hudgely popular option for 05 Explorers. You would be better off going to a PROFESSIONAL mobile Stero shop and having an after market unit put in.

I would not go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Most car dealers DO NOT do their own stero work in house. Call your local Ford showroom and find out who they use.

Mark
    Except for one risk - if there are electrical problems with the car afterward, the Ford Service department will always tell you - "It's the aftermarket equipment - not our problem" when you take it in for warranty work or service. That's the risk you take with any aftermarket stuff. I do agree though, you should use the store the Ford Dealer uses.
    Thanks to all for responding. In the last week I have driven the 2006. I started looking for a 2006 V8 XLT, 3rd row, & canopy safety. The best that three different sales guys could offer me was $30K based on a $35K sticker and included the $2K back from Ford, which would go away if I chose one of the special financing options anyway. $3K off of sticker is NOT a deal, especially in light of GM announcing price cuts on 80% of their vehicles.
    Does anybody see Ford changing their incentive programs in the near-term? I also read that Explorer sales are down 50%.