Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    1,700 for an Extra care warranty for 100,000 miles ('05 Taurus)

Whats wrong with that?
  • cathmaccathmac Member Posts: 49
    Chuck1,
    In order for the comparison to the Subaru "Gold Plus" warranty to be valid, the "Extra Care" which is one step down from the "Premium Care" would need to essentially offer bumper to bumper coverage comparable to the original Manufacurers 3yr / 36K warranty (this is how Subaru describes their Gold Plus warranty).

Subaru OB (AWD) 7yr/100K,
    "Gold Plus", $0 Ded = (MSRP) $2,460.00

Ford Taurus (FWD) 7yr/100K
    "Premium" , $0 Ded = (MSRP)$2,820.00 (assuming a 25% discount)

My experience trying to comparison shop, on 4 different websites, for the Explorer warranty tells me the most I am probably going to save on a Ford warranty is 15%. In which case my expectation is that the best I could do for a Ford backed "Premium Care" warranty --with the most comprehensive coverage-- on the Taurus is about $2,400 compared to the best discounted price on the Subaru OB, 40% off or $1,400. As I pointed out earlier, the Subaru warranty is covering an AWD vehicle so one would actually expect that warranty to be more expensive, all other factors being equal.

Even though the Ford "Extra Care" coverage would seem to be less comprehensive than the Subaru "Gold Plus" coverage, at $1,700 the Ford Taurus warranty is still $300 more expensive even though it's covering a less complicated vehicle, (FWD as opposed to AWD).
    ~Cath
  • bitusabitusa Member Posts: 60
    frieberg44,

Wow! Sorry you are having so many problems with your '06 Explorer. I bought one for my wife. We have put about 8,500 miles on it so far. We have not had one problem with it. Our average fuel economy (ours is a V6) is 17.8 mpg. Mostly around town driving. I'm surprised by your mileage since the V8 and V6 are rated very similar.

Have the same likes as you, but don't have the glare problem, and believe it or not, I'm used to the door handles where they are, but did have an instance or two where I had to put a little pressure on the armrest to keep the door from swinging out too quickly. (My wife is still not a fan of the handles.) I heard that the interior designers have already made a door handle change on the next one coming in September.

But overall, we love the Explorer. My wife says the best vehicle she has ever driven. Her favorite feature is the suede and leather seats. Man, are they comfortable.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    My 2004 Mountaineer AWD V-8 has always gotten good highway gas mileage. This past weekend we drove from Columbus to Pittsburgh. Had two lane and 4 lane driving since we don't like to drive I-70. Got 21 miles per on the way there and got 20.4 miles coming back. Last summer driving to myrtle beach going 70 to 75 miles per hour we usualy got 20 miles per gallon on the trip down and the trip back. This is better than what it was estimated to get. Around town mileage in the winter is very bad though. I get about 12 to 13 miles per gallon in that situation. I new from the research before I bought the vehicle that fuel economy was not one of it's highlights. I didn't really think twice about that. I was buying an SUV. If I wanted good fuel economy I would have bought a pretend SUV. I think it has a lot to do with how you break it in. I have a 2003 Sonata V-6 that I drive to Cincinnati about twice per month. I always get 29 to 30 miles per gallon. It was rated to get 26 highway. These are not just what the trip computer says. I always randomly check mine by using a calculator. I find the trip computer is very accurate.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The Ford ESPs are basically insurance policies. The rates are determined by actuarys based on the real world cost of repair datas.

Keep in mind that a warranty for a more complicated vehicle will also cost more. Accordingly a lower priced warranty with the same exact coverage means that that vehicle has a history of lower repair costs.

Unfortunately, every dealer has different markup practices on these warranties and the markup is HUGE! like designer clothes HUGE and by designer I mean Versace or Armini! So its hard to compare between dealerships if you don't call around.

Mark.
  • comancoman Member Posts: 11
    My new 06 4Runner has a lot of gear whine in the same speed range as your Explorer had and Toyota won't fix it either. While Toyota may have better overall quality stats than Ford, my experience shows their service is no better.

I owned a 97 Mountaineer previously and I actually had fewer problems and better service than I've gotten so far with Toyota. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.
    I owned a 97 Mountaineer previously and I actually had fewer problems and better service than I've gotten so far with Toyota.

Coman, that just can't be true. A toyota having more problems than a Ford product. No way. All those people out there that own Toyotas will be crushed and devastated by this news. My god, I think I'll just go jump in my 2004 Mountaineer and drive to the nearest bridge and jump off. I'm just flabbergasted. NOT!

Good luck in the future with your new Toyota.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm going to be eating some crap from chuck1 here - but my wife's 04 Mountaineer is shifting strangely, kinda slidddddding into home, IYKWIM. Going in tomorrow to have it serviced and checked. Probably, they'll try a reflash first. That fixed my 02 like a charm, and it was one of the smoothest transmissions I'd ever had after that. However, this one was one of the trannies with the wrong fluid in it, and by the time they got the fix out, mine was lunch meat, so it's already been rebuilt once.

My dealer though is great on service, never an excuse, nor a harsh word. They always give me a free loaner, and treat me like gold there.
    Well - at least you admit it.

Maybe the pesky solenoid.....
  • kwikbillkwikbill Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my 04 Explorer...and after several tries...fluid additive (from a TSB) didnt even help,reprogramming the computer codes,(worked for a week or two, then same thing), they finally changed out the solenoid, and that cured the problem, and have had no problem with it since then...so just tell them to change out that solenoid, and that should cure the problem.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I wrote to Consumer Reports about their drastic increase in reports of transmission problems on Explorers specifically. Other vehicles that use the 5R55E seem to be alright (Sport Trac for instance), however, the sealed units in the 2002-2005 generation seem to be very problematic.

My wife drives a 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC with the 5R55E and it has always shifted fine, but I guess I feel lucky. The internals of the transmission are great, but their are a few main problems from what I can gather.

1) To many electronic components (6 solenoids), and one that is variable (called EPC solenoid) that controls how your transmission shifts. This is the "learning" component that adjusts to your driving style.

2) Other valve body problems such as: Reverse servo seals (now double lipped instead of single lipped), valve body separator plate gasket breaches, and other more minor design issues.

3) Finally, I completely disagree with Ford sealing the transmission. I don't care what anyone says, this is plain dumb. Sealed for life, when life = 150,000 miles, isn't good enough. Average truck life is 180,000 miles now, get with it Ford. In addition to that, when the thing needs to be serviced, it is a labor intensive undertaking. I am waiting to see if the 6-speed in the new Explorer is sealed. If it is, I wont be buying one. Please don't try to defend Ford's use of them again, the posts I have seen here are evidence enough that this is a mistake.

With that said, I really really like the 06 Explorer. I sat in one at the auto show in Detroit, and was amazed at how nice and comfortable it was. The interior appointments put my wife's 00 Limited to shame. Since my Expedition's miles are starting to rack up, I will be seriously considering one of 06/07's in the future, given that Ford don't cop out on a dipstick for the transmission.

FWIW: The 00 Explorer has been a pretty darn good truck. I had to put on new upper and lower ball joints, in addition to new shocks. However, we go through suspension parts like water where I live. The dirt roads are brutal, and wifey driving 35-40 miles an hour down them to "skip" over the bumps, doesn't help. Switched to Rancho brand shocks, from the Edelbrocks(sp?). Working great for now at about 100,000 miles!
  • nycmysterynycmystery Member Posts: 1
    my neighbor just bought a 1997 mountaineer and it has the keyless entry on the door,,,the one with the electronic push buttons on the door,,anyway,,he was told in order to get the existing code it is located somewhere in the car ...does anyone know where the factory puts them,,,
    Of course, I'll admit it! I'm not that kind of disingenuous poster who fabricates data. And, worse than that, it was not the pesky solenoid. I haven't heard of this since 1978, but it was the pesky second band separating. Herego; the entire transmission was rebuilt again. Smooth shifting again. However, I don't have a lot of confidence in this car anymore, and will probably give it back in a year when the lease is up. Other than the transmission, it's been perfect. But.....this is a major issue.

The thing is - I don't believe anybody on the planet makes a better designed SUV of this size. So, I may buy yet another one. One more thing - my dealer has never given me a single problem about repairs. No arguments, got a free loaner, and the repairs were done on time.
    This appears to be a sealed tranny, there is no dipstick and the service interval for changing the fluid and filter is 150,000 miles.

Mark.
    The code is located on the driver side in the cargo area behind the car jack access panel. After you take off the panel (you'll need a flashlight) look for a black or grey box sitting above the wheel well. On the outside of that box is a sticker with the 5 digit code. It is a bit hard to see, but I have done it two times with pre-owned Explorer's our family has purchased.
    Thanks Mark,

I have been trying to look for information on this tranny, but it has so far been a futile effort. Maybe I am looking in the wrong areas, but thought a google search would work-it hasn't.

The sealed part really is a let down. I just don't like it being that much harder to service if need be. I really want the V8 (like 292HP), but I want to be able to trust the transmission, and it seems like the 5R55W in the 2002-2005 Explorer was having its limits pushed with the 239HP in that generation's V8.

NVbanker: Sorry to hear about your woe(s), you've been a pretty loyal Ford owner (I think I recall you having a great dealer). Was it your 2002 that was a V6 that had strange shifts cured by a reflash?

If I recall correctly, the A4LD in the 1991-1992 Explorer's had a dual wrap band (overdrive) that failed frequently. In 1992, Ford switched to a better single wrap design.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    You can find the manuals with all the information at the Automatic Transmission Service Group:

http://atsg.biz/
    Thank you, I checked out the link this morning, and found it interesting. It looks like they want you to buy a book for information on each transmission. I may do that for at least one transmission I have currently ((4R70W) for good reading) to feed my growing curiosity about how automatic transmissions work. If you type in "project frankentranny" in a google search, anyone can see a rebuild of a 4R55E using 5R55E parts. I found it very interesting, because it helped me understand better how the automatic transmission works and the strengths and faults with the 4R/5R55E transmissions. There are numerous aftermarket modifications you can make to it with varying degrees of involvement and monetary commitment. If I remember correctly from the diary of the rebuild, the actual drums, clutches, and other rotating mass were well designed save for one minor area in the overdrive drum. The valve body is where the modifications were implemented. Some holes drilled larger in the valve body separator plate for quicker clutch activation, replacement of the EPC solenoid, among a few other things. I know I am throwing out all kinds of terms and words, with my point being that for those interested in how these hydraulic masterpieces work, the transmission rebuild diary was very enlightening.

Does anyone here know if the 6R60 is the transmission co-developed with GM? If GM is using it, I wonder if they are sealing it up in their applications? Is the 6R60 based on the 5R55* at all?

After I found out here yesterday that the 6R60 is sealed, I was trying to think in my head of why an automotive company would want to do that. First thought makes me think they want the transmission to fail. If its actual life is 150,000 miles, then Ford should warranty it for that period. I know, unrealistic. I was able to dig up a 2006 service suggestion guide for 2006 Ford vehicles yesterday. At 150,000 miles, Ford suggests changing the transmission fluid for the first time. Maybe that means that the fluid itself has a life of 150,000 miles. Not sure if I feel any better about that. I hope that the 6R's come with a giant transmission oil cooler to help slow the inevitable break down of the fluid from heat.

More: I know I'm rambling, sorry folks I'm almost done.

It's been a while since we've owned a Honda at our house (2001), but I don't recall us ever having to pay as close of attention to the maintenance on those as our Fords. When I say that, I am not talking about the oil and filter. That was religiously changed at 3,000-7,500mile intervals per the owners manual. With our Fords, I feel like I can't miss a beat. If I am right on top of maintenance, then Fords will treat you well. With that said, how many people do I know (lets say a few) that own foreign vehicles that barely do maintenance. Maybe that is where Ford's thinking is. Since many people may not know or remember to do maintenance, they will try an eliminate it as much as possible. Problem is, I don't think Ford has this down to a science yet. To date, I still haven't seen a 5R55W-S have more than 100,000 miles yet. I know it is rare that many people could do that in 4 1/2 years, but the lack of evidence surrounding the longevity of these transmissions isn't confidence inspiring.

Finally, are the days of Explorer's making it to 250-300K gone? Time will tell I suppose.
    This is definately NOT the Co-developed with GM 6 speed which will make its debute in the Ford Edge this fall.

That tranny is FWD platform only.

It is my understanding that the 6R60 is a ZF unit from Europe.

Mark.
    Thanks again for input!

I did some more looking around on the internet and came across Ford's media release for their new 6-speed automatics.
    This is what I found:
    New 6F Front wheel drive, six-speed automatic co-developed with GM,rated for up to 300HP

6R Ford developed and built in Livonia, Mich. Only application is in the '06 Explorer and Mountaineer so far.

Aisin front wheel drive, six-speed automatic:
    Used in Five-Hundred, Montego, Milan, Fusion, and Zephyr.

ZF 6-speed RWD
    Used only in the Navigator

Since Ford developed and is building the 6R, I wonder if it has links to the 5R's? Looks like I will have to buy one of those books to find out. Not that it matters. The 6R may be a 5R with all of the bugs worked out that plagued the 5R55W-S.
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    I am thinking about ordering a Explorer with the navigation radio. Any problems with these units? Any order delays with the nav. radio?

Thanks.
    Yes, I bleed Ford Blue, jrc..... Still like Ford design over anything else, but they have their issues from time to time.

And, you are correct, it was my 02 with the V-6 that the reflash cured the wierd shifing perfectly. That transmission turned out to be extraordinarily smooth.

My 04 had one of those with the bad fluid fill.
    "My 04 had one of those with the bad fluid fill."

It amazes me....100+ years of building cars, and the wrong fluid gets in to the tranny. Yea, I know it was a Ford "vendor issue" - but c'mon!
    Yup, while I may look like a disgruntled customer, I actually bleed Ford blue as well. Ford's pretty lucky to have a few loyal people around where they can practically do no wrong, but I can't say for certain that if I had a continuous problems with a major component (i.e. Transmission), that I wouldn't think twice about buying one again. Like Chuck1 said, how are these mistakes made at this day and age. Quality checks are not a value-added activity to a company, but they are to the customer. I love Fords, but I feel like every time I purchase one I am taking a bit more of a gamble than if I bought a Honda, or Toyota. Oh well, it keeps things interesting.

I am still considering the Explorer for my next vehicle despite the transmission being sealed. I just like it too much, and the Expedition is too big for me anymore. However, has anyone with the sealed transmission paid for the fluid to be changed before the 150K mark? How much does it cost? Odd thing about the 6R, is even when you get the fluid changed, they tell you that you don't have to change the filter-strange. It's my hope that the fluid changes wont be excessively expensive so that I can do it at 50-60K intervals for my personal peace of mind.

I have some friends that bought an 06 Mountaineer back in December, and they love it so far.
    If I buy another Mountaineer, Explorer, Navigator or Expedition - it would be because I still feel the design is the best. Only Nissan has come close with an IRS, useful folding 3rd row seat, etc. And you're no better off risk wise with the Nissan than with the Ford. Worse actually at the moment, as Nissan has had nightmares with their Titan & Armada. I will not, however, buy a Sequoia, even though they may be the best in reliability, because the 3rd row seat still has to be removed for cargo space, instead of folded into the floor.

Ford is with trucks and SUVs like Toyota is with cars - the best designs first. Anyway, that's how I feel.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    It was in the owners manual of my 1999.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    ATF changed was included in the 30k/60k/90k service. I paid $600 for the 60k service.

02 explorer xlt v8
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    '02 with v8 also.
    just because the 'service interval' is 150k, it does not mean that you have to wait that long. i had mine done at 30k. it has worked better since then. another 6k until 60k.
    did brakes at 54k.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • urfriend_krurfriend_kr Member Posts: 1
    I've got a Shopmanual for '06 Explorer and Mountaineer.
    I look up the Automatic Transmission Section.
    The parts of 6R60 are very similliar with ZF 6HP26.
    And the Structure of 6R60 and 6HP is the same.
    I don't think that Ford developed the 6R60, but just
    produces 6R60 in Ford's Plant.
    I agree with you on the dipstick thing. I've been told, however, that it's very difficult to route a tube up to the surface on some applications, Lincoln LS, Explorer. They have also tested this transmission, and they say, under normal circumstances, it'll last 100,000 without a service. I guess that's long enough? It usually is for me, but I know some people drive more than I do...

Toyota gets a dipstick up there, why can't Ford?
    I think there is always room to snake a tube up to the top of the engine compartment. Myself, I don't want to buy anything that won't make it past 200,000 miles, as I buy them at 100,000 miles. At 100k, they still sell for 10K, so there is some value there, and I have found them to be very reliable in the high milage range if they are well maintained, I have no quams about taking them on a 2K to 4K road trip. I've never had to replace a water pump on an Explorer. Radiator rarely. Starter only once.
    What would be the point of a dipstick? Its not the fluid getting low that is the problem its the fact that the fluid wears out. The molecules of the fluid simply break down over time. How would a dipstick tell you if it was time to replace your fluid?

Mark.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Perhaps you could use it to check the fluid for debris and change of color? :)

tidester, host
    Don't forget the smell test too. See if it's burned....
    Not to mention being able to re-fill it after a purge. Hey, now there's a thought!
    You have way more patients then I.

Mark
    Of course! On a transmission the dipstick tube IS the refill tube - it's purposely made to be about 3/4 in in diameter so you can stick a funnel into it. I've never filled one any other way on any cars I've had.
    The other replies are correct, the dipstick serves many useful functions. nvbanker is right about the refill, in fact, it is NOT called a dipstick tube, the correct name for it is the Filler Tube. And it is important to check the fluid level, because the fluid can leak out, and it is important to maintain the correct fluid level. It is also important to use the dipstick to check a sample of the fluid for the color and smell. That can tell you a lot about the transmissions health. Also, fluid does not so much "wear out", it eventually becomes contaminated with fiction material and microscopic metal particles. Then only way the fluid "wears out" in a modern transmission is if it overheats, usually caused by overloading, or abuse.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the new Interactive Video Tour of the 2006 Explorer.

Steve, Host
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    We just drove from NYC to Columbus OHIO. When we started the trip, the mileage on the truck was 1230. At a speed of 65-70 mph, we got 18 mpg. On the return journey, at same speeds, we got 20 mpg. Mileage now 2674. The test was done, full tank to full tank. We did one full tank on the way there & one full tank test on the return. Therefore this did not include local driving.
    Reclining back seat was very useful, on the long drive.
    Reg. Frank R.
    PS. Our 204 Ex XLT V8, never did this well, even after 15,000 on the clock.
    Frank, I have a 2004 Mountaineer v-8 AWD. I get anywhere from 19 to 21 MPG. Last October we drove from Westerville, Oh. to south of Myrtle Beach S.C. and back. Averaged 19 to 20 MPG per tank and I-77 runs through some very Mountainess terrain in WVA and VA. Got 20 MPG on a trip to Pittsburgh a month ago and 21 MPG on the return trip. I set my cruise 5 miles above the speed limit when I'm on the expressway. Hopefully your mileage will improve when you hit about 5000 miles and fully broken in. Otherwise I would say that is disappointing since Ford claims the MPG has been improved. By the way, what part of Columbus were you visiting? Westerville is a suburb to the northeast of Columbus.
  • wblake99wblake99 Member Posts: 18
    I have found that I usually get better mileage with my Mountaineers with the towing package then others who don't have the tow package. The time of year can also make a difference with the water gas many have to use this time of year. I have also found that my 2002 seems to be sensitive to tire pressures. I usually run about 3 to 5 pounds over the recommended and it seems to help with gas mileage and tire wear also.

We have an '06 Premier AWD with tow package on order (will be our 4th one) and I can't wait to get it and enjoy all the revisions.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    '02 explorer v8, towing package. most miles 4 passengers and a cargo box on the top. 640 miles in 11 hours twice. this included a stop for gas, a meal stop, and 2 border crossings. 18.25 overall. pretty good in my book.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • intmikintmik Member Posts: 6
    where would I locate the 5 digit keyless entry code for my 2002 Mountaineer?.My vehicle has gone in the security mode and will not start at all.the word " Security" keeps blinking in the instrument cluster an I hear the related rely clicking in the fuse box.Any hint will be greatly appreciated.
    I'm told, it's a sticker on the computer module found behind the panel in the rear cargo area on the driver's side. I hope I'm right. The other way is to take the VIN to the dealer, they can look it up.

Usually your keyless fob can also reset it....by pushing the lock button, followed by the unlock button. No luck there?
    The 5 digit keyless entry code has nothing to do with the SecureLoc antitheft system.

The truck when into security mode because you tried to start it with a key that was not programed to your truck.

Use the other key.

If you lost both original keys, you will need the dealer to program a key for you.

Mark.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    mtnman, we visited Ohio State University, for my son. Re, the gas I was pretty pleased with it. Much better then my XLT V* 2004 "PiG".
    Reg. Frank R.
    Go Bucks! I'm a transplant from Pittsburgh back in '84 and now I'm a rabid Ohio State Fan. You either end up hating or loving them if you come from somewhere else and live here for a long time.
  • davidb5davidb5 Member Posts: 3
    The message center in the instrument cluster does not work sometime and when it is not working the lights for the radio and clock do not work. I had the instrument cluster replaced about 5 months ago because mesaage center not working. Anybody got any ideas on what is wrong or has anyone else had this problem. Thanks
    I don't mean to sound condecending at all - but is it possible maybe a parking or wash attendant is turning off the panel lights somehow?
  • 03mercowner03mercowner Member Posts: 7
    2003 Mountaineer V8
    Bought used laster year with 19000 miles on it. Since I've had it, I've only put about 6000 miles on it. What I have experienced, about 8 times in those 6000 miles, is that when I've made a turn where I was going a decent speed (45 - 55 mph), slowed down enough to make the turn... the engine cut out while making the turn! Has happened on left and right turns.

I had found a summary report about some problems with the 2002-05 Mountainer, and it mentioned about when making aggressive "right" turns and cavitation in the fuel tank as fuel sloshes to one side, and the fix requires a redesigned fuel pump. I can't find a technical service bulletin on this though (I subscribed to a service where I could search all TBS for my vehicle and read full text).

I've had it back to the Ford/Mercury dealer once, but of course since it didn't do it while they had it, they couldn't do anything other than run diagnostics and they same everything came up fine. They did say that that didn't mean there wasn't a problem somewhere, maybe in the fuel tank.

Anyone have this happen to you where your Explorer or Mountaineer cut out in a turn?? The scarey part its that with no engine, I lose the power steering and it's a pretty heavy vehicle to try to steer safely into the shoulder of the road, and that is if I'm lucky enough to even have enough momentum at the time to get off the road... and of course there's always the person on your tail going into the turn... this really scares me when it happens, I can just see an accident waiting to happen.