Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• csuracicsuraci Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to buy an '02 Explorer/Mountaineer and I'm trying to decide between the V6 and V8 engines. I'm wondering how much more gas does the V8 actually use. I don't believe the difference is 1MPG as claimed by Ford.

What have people been getting in the real world?

Thanks!
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    My V8 got over 18 on a vacation trip last week. Around town it's high 14s.
  • mountainownermountainowner Member Posts: 28
    I have a V8 with 15k miles. My city mileage has been low 15's and a highway trip last weekend was low 18's.
  • jposterjposter Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2002 XLT v8 4x4, with tow package and have been averaging high 14's around town. Only have 1200 miles logged so far and no extended highway only trips yet.

In my opinion though, I drove both the v6 and v8, and the 8 is so much nicer to drive. I was willing to foregoe a small mpg saving for the power.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    I am looking into getting an Explorer but my concerns are this: the mileage difference is only 1 mpg between. i find this hard to beleive. I love the V8 and according to Trans. Canada the difference in expected fuel cost is 90 dollars for the ENTIRE year.

Are real world mileages much different? by the way, having driven the previous Explorer, they have made a quantum leap with this on ein ride alone. Love the V8 (sounds like my dearly departed 99 Mustang GT...sob!) and the interior looks much better in the EB trim.

Anybody hear of the "No Boundaries" package? Basically for the same price as an XLT (44600CAD)_you get silver trim and instead of running boards you get the silver bars...also leather, moonroof and 17" wheels. Anybody have one?

Thanks.
  • adptwinsadptwins Member Posts: 2
    The sales manager at my local Ford dealership told me about the rebate as a way of improving the deal.

Ironically, this dealership started to play games with the agreed to numbers, which had already been signed and accepted by the way, so they lost my business.

The rebate was delivered as a random response (about 1 out of every 4) to "Build & Price" inquiries on the Ford Vehicles web site. By submitting about a dozen inquiries, each with a different e-mail address, I received three rebates. Unfortunately, I could only use one.

From what I have been told, the rebate has now been cancelled in favor of a $500 increase in the published rebate.

Incidently, a Ford dealership in Mahwah, New Jersey ended up providing a better deal (honest & without surprises), so I took the rebate and purchased from them.

Good luck & lots of fun shopping !!!
  • gmtofordgmtoford Member Posts: 10
    I am very interested in the Expolre XLT 4WD, from quality and reliability perspective, is it worth to wait for the 2003 model or get the sweet discount of the 2002 model? Thanks!
  • jv312jv312 Member Posts: 32
    Quite a few msgs ago, someone posted a link for the 2003 Explorer changes. I don't recall reading any big changes in 03 over 02. They are introducing a new trim line based on the whole No Boundaries theme. The package is the tubular bar/skidplate/XTERRA tough-look. Also remember something about a multimedia/DVD system package. IMO, I'd go for an 02 deal. Ford tweaked the mid-year 02's with better seats, fog lights, & a few other creature comforts. I am extremely happy with my 02.5 XLT. Honestly, when I was looking back in April, Ford wasn't even in the picture. After lots of test drives and comparisons, the Explorer fit my needs the best. I haven't regretted my purchase one bit.
  • geoffd1geoffd1 Member Posts: 21
    Near as I can tell, the major difference between the '02 Explorer and the '03 Explorer is in the drivetrain. My '98 Mountaineer has AWD and I really like the feature in a car that goes skiing every weekend in the winter. After 12 years of having to deal with shifting from 2WD to 4WD at highway speeds in degrading road conditions, I've found that AWD is an essential safety feature for me. It's now available in the '03 Explorer.

The Mountaineer just went into the steekneng dealer yesterday to get some things fixed before it went off its 100,000 mile extended warranty. Power door locks now work, new rear wiper motor, $50 warranty deductable on those repairs, $40 labor charge to replace a $5 brake fluid pressure sensor, $10 to lube the car, free check for exhaust, belts, hoses, brakes. I escaped for slightly more than $100. Must be something of a personal record for me. The service rep was expecting to find a long list of repair items.

I've decided to cross my fingers, knock on wood, and hope the off-warranty Mountaineer holds up until the '03 Explorers get deeply discounted. My last one (a '92 Navajo/2dr Explorer) held together until 145,000 miles.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    My '02 EB V6 explorer is AWD. My '95 had buttons for 2wd, 4wd and 4wd Low. The '02 has AWD, 4wheel full time, and 4 wheel low. I thought this was standard for '02.
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Two options, 2 different dealers - both are 2002:
    EB 4x4 3rd row, V6, just a few miles, rear sensor, canopy airbags, moonroof
    Total $36923

OR:
    EB 4X4, 3rd row, V8, 3220 miles, rear sensor, Advance trac, Aux AC, moonroof
    Total $38782

a) is the V8 worth the extra money? I won't be towing (at least not for awhile), but I live in the mountains and my 170 hp Pathfinder has major problems getting around. b) the demo is being discounted $2820 off MSRP, running about $700 over invoice - that seems AWFULLY high for a 3200 mile demo - is there a rule of thumb on how much is deducted? c) also still checking out the Trailblazer LTZ - I love the engine, but the options in the Explorer seem a lot better.

Any comments? Thanks!
    That's way too much. I faxed a bunch of dealers (both Ford & Mercury) describing what I was looking for in a new '02. Plenty of dealers responded that they would sell me a new one (no miles) for invoice or $100 below invoice.

I'm going with the V8... sounds better and doesn't eat-up much more gas than the V6 (based on previous posts).

Kelley's Blue Book offers pricing on '02 with mileage. They seem to be knocking about $3,000 off of invoice for Explorers with under 5,000 miles.

Hope this helps!
    Many thanks for the KBB info! There's a dealer in town that does no haggle $99 over invoice that has the V6. The 2002's are getting VERY scarce and the V8 I found is the only one in my entire area with the options I want :( But they don't know that ;) Thanks again!
  • akscott1akscott1 Member Posts: 1
    With 5000 miles on odometer, I get 13mpg around town including some freeway travel. Street use only is a struggle to get 12mpg. Highway mileage is pretty decent at 18-19mpg. V8 is much nicer engine than V6, but thirsty.
  • dwightexdwightex Member Posts: 19
    Just bought a 2002.5 EB with Towing Package, V8, and sunroof. List was $37,100. We paid $100 over invoice and got 60K warranty extension and Zero financing for 60 months.

Very happy so far (800 miles) including a 200 mile tow of a 6' x 12' Uhaul full of furniture. We got 13 mpg with the tow and get 18.5 on mostly highway driving.

Did notice that the Goodyear tires are "bumpier" than the michelin tires which we had on a rental. Does anyone echo this experience of michelin vs. goodyear?

We like the driving position, the sunroof, the excellent radio and the usefullness of the space, nooks, crannies, etc.

We are selling our 90 Honda and our 95 Chevy S-10 in which we would haul all of our junk. Hope we don't mess up the interior with our hauling.

lol
    Why oh why don't they have those great deals here? I just got another quote for EB/4WD/V8/aux AC/moonroof for $35526 (not including ttt). Their website doesn't show the 3rd row, but edmunds says the Aux AC requires it. With the seat, they're about $900 over invoice, and w/o out it, over $1400! Argh! I may need to travel ;)
    You don't have AWD. You have an AUTO setting which sends power to the front if the rear slips, you have 4WD HI, and 4WD LOW. The Mountaineer has AWD; the Explorer has Control Trac II 4WD.
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    Brochures arrived at dealer today.

New changes beyond what has been previously reported:

Limited now has XLT style side body cladding (color matched).

A satellite navigation system is a dealer installed option replacing the radio.

New wheels for Eddie Bauer and Limited.

Chrome luggage rack on Limited with crossbar optional (on all models)
    Finally bit the bullet and bought a 2002 (I think it's a 2002.5 because it's True Blue) EB 4X4, V6, moonroof, reverse sensor, safety canopy and 3rd row seat. $37K out the door 0/60. I would have preferred the V8, but the dealers around here aren't budging much off MSRP and this dealer was $99 over dealer invoice and had no V8's with the moonroof (which I MUST have ;)). I looked at the Mountaineers, but I live on a hill where I sometimes need 4WL. I was worried that AWD wasn't going to cut it.

Anyhoo - now I have a grand total of 112 miles on it and find that sometimes when it's in first gear and I'm starting off, it hesitates - almost like I'm in neutral. A few times a "whirling" sound has accompanied it, and strangely, the AC stops blowing cold air during these few seconds that it happens. We've been having days in the 90's, so I have the AC usually blowing directly on me, which is why I've noticed it. Any ideas? I'm going out of town this weekend so I'll see how it does (thank goodness for the Ford roadside assistance - plus I still have AAA).

This is my first domestic car purchase, and I bought this and a Ranger the same week - so far, besides this problem, both seem to be built well and the ride is very smooth until I start hitting mountains and the shifting is constant - but that was the same with my 2000 Pathfinder with the 3.0 V6 :)
    Do the Explorers with the side curtain airbags lose the headrests? I saw an Explorer in leather and it did not have a separate headrest and the salesman didn't know why but guessed it could be the airbags.
    I have the canopy air bag system in my EB and it has the headrests on the front and back seats. My Pathfinder had side airbags that came from the sides of the front seats and it also had headrests on the seats. All were adjustable.
    If you're loking at an XLT, it is probably older stock. The headrest did not become standard on the XLT until the 2002.5s came out. I believe they would have a build date of 4/02 or later.
    Check around and I think you'll find the headrests with the side curtains.
  • hungry2hungry2 Member Posts: 11
    My hubby put down the window on our 02 Mountaineer (12,000 miles) this am and it wouldn't go back up. It just makes a grinding type of noise when you push the button. I called the dealer who is booked today and tomorrow but will let me leave it there today and they will "try" to get it in. Isn't that nice, a perfectly driveable car that I can't take anywhere because anybody could climb in and drive it away and all they can do is "try" to get it in. Has anybody had this problem before? I have never had it on any of our past vehicles and I don't see a TSB for it. Any comments?
  • timnguyen9timnguyen9 Member Posts: 6
    We bought the 2002 Limited and the second row seats do not have separate headrest. We did not get the 3rd row seating option so I'm not sure if this is the reason. I have noticed that the 2002.5 XLT, EB, Limited have the second row seats with separate headrest. I find it a little upsetting that this was not included in the 2002, even on the Limited model. Also, looks like the 2003 will now have 17" wheels, instead of the 16" on the 2002s. Arggggggh!!!!!
  • wallace13wallace13 Member Posts: 1
    I would be very mad if someone even suggested that I pay anywhere near invoice. I bought an explorer for $26,000, but it was invoiced for $32,000. I have bought vehicles from this group for years and suggest it. Or at least take a look and email Wayne for a free price quote with delivery. I am currently in Germany and the prices at the local AAFES is way off what he did for us and they are supposed to be doing a favor for our military.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Are you talking invoice or sticker (MSRP)? If it stickers for $32K, there is no way you should pay that for an Explorer. If it stickered for say, $36K, with an invoice of $32K, paying $32K is not that bad IMHO. I would like to know how to buy a vehicle for $6K under invoice.
    The incentives weren't as sweet when I bought my explorer in April, but they certainly help lowering your purchase price. I paid $26,820 on an XLT w/ a $32,190 sticker. The $5370 price diff included a $1500 rebate. I'm not sure if that was invoice or not. Of course I had to shell out $1609 for TTL, but I received $246 back after selling my old beater car. I think everybody's situation is going to be different because there are so many factors...location, financing arrangements, trade/no trade etc. IMO, if you walk away and feel good about it thats all that matters.
    Not sure where you live, but in NJ I found two dealers with Explorers having the V8 and moonroof willing to sell them for $600 - $700 below invoice. One was a Limited, the other was an XLT.

I ended up buying a Mountaineer Premier (liked the styling better) for about $400 below invoice.

Granted that not all dealers in NJ are willing to go below invoice, but with patience and knowing the dealer's true cost, you can find what you want for below invoice.
    Thanks for all the replies! You know, tested a Explorer a while back and what I didn't like in the back seat was the headrests were useless...they struck any adult in the middle of the back!

Now they have adjustable headrests and the seats seem to be tilted more in an angle in the back. That XLT leather must have been older stock then, that makes a lot of sense.

I am having a hard time pulling the trigger: either an 2002 EB, V8, sunroof and adj. pedals for $43700.00CAD or 2002 XLT V8, leather, sunroof, pedlas, No Boundaries (includes silver trim around wheelwells a la EB instead of gold and 17" wheels - sweet looking) for $40100.00CAD.

The EB has the much better interior but smaller wheels and I am thinking at the end of the lease I might keep it and run it into the ground if it is any good. I originally wanted just an EB V6 and sunroof but can't find any.

They both look great, should I get the EB for 60 bucks more? I am leaning towards yes...
    Many thanks, but I'm in GA ;) I finally bought an EB for $99 over invoice. It's a no-haggle dealership and it's just about 1/2 an hour away (which, since I live in the boonies, is close ;)). It didn't have the V8 that I wanted, but it does much better than my 2000 Pathfinder in going over mountains :)

Where in NJ are you? I have a couple of Ex's up there - one north, one south :)
    I was surprised to find the Explorer doesn't have the tilt backs on the back seats. My Pathfinder had it and it really made the ride a lot more comfortable for those in the back. Of course, now I have air back there (just the reg. back one - not the Aux air), so they'd probably rather have the air than the adj. seats ;)
  • dicknjudydicknjudy Member Posts: 1
    To whom it may concern,

One issue that no one seems to be concerned with is the fact that many people - including my wife - are short and sit and drive their vehicles within the 10" safety envelope to the steering wheel air bag. NHTSA says this is dangerous - but they have done nothing for the people who drive those vehicles. In fact, the NHTSA people apparently don't even test vehicles where the manikin is less than 10" away from the steering wheel. And, as for all manufacturers (I checked several other manufacturers cars and my wife had the same problem), it appears that none of them care and the dealers care less. I have a 2002 Mountaineer (which is a great vehicle), except, my wife can't drive it safely as she sits only 4" away from that darn airbag. So, if you want to raise an worthwhile investigation which needs national attention, this is where you want to start. There are probably hundreds or thousands of people dying as a result of this condition.

I have attached my sad tail for your people to start their investigation.

Best Regards

Richard Morrissett
    9409 Westwind Dr.
    Livonia, Michigan 48150
    734-632-9480

TO: Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan

Customer Relationship Center

16800 Executive Plaza Dr.

P.O. Box 6248

Dearborn, MI 48121

CC: Lincoln-Mercury Division, Irvine, California

CC: Stu Evans Lincoln Mercury, Garden City, Michigan

Subject: Breach of Contract due to False Advertising by Ford Motor Company, Lincoln-Mercury Division, and Stu Evans Lincoln-Mercury Dealership, Garden City, Michigan

Reference: Michigan Laws pertaining to this complaint:

445.903: Unfair, Unconscionable, or deceptive methods, acts, or practices.

e.) Representing that goods and services are of a particular standard, quality, or grade or that goods are of a particular style or model ………..

d.) Failure to reveal a material fact, the omission of which tends to mislead or deceive the consumer, and which fact could have been known

y.) Gross discrepancies between oral presentation……….

bb.) Misstating a fact………….

cc.) Failing to reveal facts……….

dd.) Representation by manufacturer of a product that a package………

MCL 257.1404 Implied Warranty. This vehicle has a defect that impairs the use or value of the new vehicle to the consumer which prevents the vehicle from conforming to implied and express warranty. This vehicle was not designed to be used for its intended use and has a major potential safety defect to the consumer.

Facts of case:

On December 23rd, 2001, I leased a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer (Serial # 4M2ZU86E62ZJ22366) from Stu Evans Lincoln Mercury in Garden City, Michigan. Our Stu Evans sales person was Mr. Jim O’Connor who was made well aware that our need for adjustable pedals was the single key reason why we wanted this vehicle. The specific type of vehicle was selected because it was advertised to have adjustable foot pedals, which permitted my short wife to drive it. These adjustable pedals were advertised to be part of a luxury package, which we paid $1,433 for – which the Mountaineer brochure indicated it was on all Mountaineers built after the spring of 2001. I have that brochure which advertised this feature!
    If these adjustable pedals aren’t available, my wife sits 4” away from the steering column – which all Ford safety and design engineers know will cause great physical and possible mortal damage to the driver if the steering wheel air bag were to be deployed. This is a very serious situation. If Ford does not respond satisfactorily to this communication, I will have my attorney file suit and demand all existing Ford test data which focuses on the drivers position to the steering wheel and specifically those distances from 1” to 12” between driver and steering wheel during crash situations.
    When I leased this vehicle, my wife was headed to California and so I picked it up after looking at several Mountaineers, all of which had the adjustable pedals. My wife returned from California on December 28th and I picked her up at the Detroit Metro airport and we immediately began driving to Florida. When we were in Kentucky, I asked her to drive – and guess what – we then found out our Mountaineer did not have the adjustable pedals!!!
    In early January 2002, I stopped in a dealership in Alabama to have them check to make sure we weren’t missing the pedal switch but they could not find it. I then immediately called Jim O’Connor from Alabama and told him I was very upset because the singular reason for our purchasing this Mountaineer – the adjustable pedals – was missing and I wanted the problem corrected immediately because this problem was preventing my wife from driving our Mountaineer.
    I also wrote this problem up as a major safety problem on the Customer Satisfaction form which Lincoln-Mercury sent out to all new owners and requested a response. I have not received any response yet from Lincoln-Mercury and it has been two months and my patience has worn thin – very thin!!!
    I also stopped by my Stu Evans dealership and discussed this major problem with my salesman, Jim O’Conner, on March 1, 2002 and he said he was researching the problem. I called again on, 3/7 and 3/8/2002 and our salesperson was still researching this problem of sales and advertising deception. As far as I can tell, Ford pulled this adj. pedal feature from production without telling anyone or changing advertising brochures or notifying the dealer or customers. This is a very serious deceptive marketing practice as it misleads unwitting customers to thinking they are getting something when they can’t.
    I also called Lincoln-Mercury Division and talked to a lady named Kendra on 03/07/2002 and told her of my concern for product safety and she has made an official record of this mess.

My patience has ended effective immediately. I want action now or I will get an attorney and file suit (possible class action) against Ford Motor Company, Lincoln Mercury, Stu Evans Lincoln-Mercury for; fraud, illegally representing a vehicle, for selling a vehicle with an implied safety defect, in that if there were to be an accident my wife would not be protected, and therefore this vehicle was not designed to be used or driven in the manner it was intended for a short person. Hopefully the airbag deployment will not occur, but if there is an accident and any member of my family is seriously injured, I promise there will be a very nasty lawsuit and trial.

I hope I have made my point clear. Our Stu Evans salesperson is aware of our wants on this safety issue. To remedy this unfortunate situation, I asked simply for either of
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to reconsider including personal information like street address and phone numbers on a public board. There are unscrupulous people out there and no one including edmunds.com is immune to it.

You have up to 30 minutes to edit your posting.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    Proud to say my '02 Explorer XLT now with 25k almost-trouble-free miles was one of the first on the road in March '01 (and yes, I've dealt with the exploding in-my-face rear window), but now another issue: has anyone had a weird "cracking" on the fiberglass hood? Mine looks like someone scratched the entire hood from underneath with metal filings at high speed. Nasty. Started with a few marks, then spread over time to the entire hood. Anyone have similar problems???
  • peaandosopeaandoso Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing an '02 Mountaineer this weekend. I have a good offer slightly below invoice, plus the current rebate. The only thing I really don't like about the car is the plastic trim on the steering wheel and dash console. Can anyone tell me how this plastic wears over time? Also, does anyone know if they have replaced the plastic with different trim in the '03 Mountaineer?
  • jposterjposter Member Posts: 21
    We too had similar requirements for adjustable pedals due to my wife's short legs. However, each Explorer we looked at we always made sure to look for the little switch and read the window sticker to clearly see the pedal option listed.

Personally, I would not have spent $30K on a new SUV without being sure that it was the vehicle I wanted, with the options I required. Unfortunately, for us, our adjustable pedal requirement limited our choices to either the Eddie Bauer / limited or a few XLT's we could find with that option.
    I'm short - five feet - and I've NEVER sat 4 inches away from ANY steering wheel! I've driven my cars, friend's cars, rental cars, etc. and it's never been necessary to sit that close.

I can't imagine wanting one specific option, then not making 100% sure that it's actually on the car. What was she driving before? Did it have adjustable pedals? What was on the sticker of the car? If the pedals weren't on there, then there's no deceptive practice. You saw the car and the sticker and signed the contract. And brochures usually state that there's no guarantee on their accuracy. Plus, should all short folks sue all the other manufacturers of cars out there that don't have adjustable pedals?

However, I have no doubt that you'll be able find an attorney for your "possible class action" lawsuit. If you'll do some investigating, it's the lawyers that get the bulk of the money in these cases.

At this point, it might be time for you accept the fact that you made a mistake. Your wife wasn't there and we all know men really shouldn't be allowed to make large purchases without a female there to guide them ;)
    When you pick up a vehicle for delivery, you should check that all the options are there, including the adjustable pedals.

Anyways, I have decided to get the Eddie Bauer. I get it Saturday. This is for my wife and I told her (sneaky me) that we are getting the XLT and while she is happy, she has EB written all over her face.

Can't wait ti see her face when she sees her Eddie Bauer!

By the way, we have adjustable pedals and FWIW, it seemed useless at first but the real diff is not only for short people, but also for a more comfortable position no matter how tall you are.
    I understand the concern for your family, but the bottom line is taking responsibility in this transaction. When I took delivery of my explorer in April, I scrutinized the entire vehicle, top to bottom BEFORE I even sat down to finish the final paperwork. My salesman had no problem with that. After the signing, he took me outside and went over a pretty comprehensive inspection checklist that we both endorsed once completed. There is no way I would have drove that mountaineer off that lot without first confirming the feature and/or use of the adj. pedals. Especially if it was a critical aspect of the sale.
    that this generation is too easy to blame others at all costs. Quite honestly I thimk that the gentleman will be unsuccessful in his pursuit. If he was a minor, maybe he would have a sliver of a chance....but then again if you pay for something, ultimately the dealer will have some 'splainin' to do.
    Job 1 for 2003 Explorer is now September 3. Was Aug. 12. Same Job 1 date as Lincoln Aviator.
  • avlvavlv Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone with a 2002 Mountaineer experience a water leak in heavy rain on the front doors. Its drips from where the door closes above where the speakers are located in the front door. I showed my dealer last rain storm. It appears to be a problem with the window seal and the door seal. They overlap each other and the window seal makes an impression in the door seal which is where the water is comming in. Dealer is thinking that the window seal needs to be cut back and the door seal replaced.
    Glad to see you got a good deal without aggravation! Regarding your exes, outside chance I might know them. Been in NJ for 30 years (all schooling since 1st grade through college and graduate school; all jobs). :)
  • g_huskyg_husky Member Posts: 32
    Do you know what caused the delay. Production problems? Too many 2002 still out there?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    MY 2003 Explorer, ro do we just continue on from here???...I am suffering insomnia until I know, biting my nails and chewing up MontBlanc pens until the answer is forthcoming...:):):):)

Bob
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think the + sign at the end of MY2002+ includes MY2003. If that's not suitable we could change it or start a new thread.

In any case, get some SLEEP!!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What say we rename it Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer? (at least until some well-meaning soul starts up the MY2002.5 and MY2003 flavors :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    (with the same last name of "host", you must be brothers...:):):) )...well, now that the query is answered, I can go off and sno.o.o.o.o.z.e......

Bob (you're right, that ink is tough to wash off, but if only I washed with Zaino.....)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    LOL, I bet you have a Zaino'd Meisterstück. (My 29 year old "4810" piston job is a bit of a mess to fill and mostly lives in my junk drawer ).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I tried about a month ago to start a 2003 Explorer thread but was admonished by the HOST to use the existing 2002 forum and my post was deleted w/o posting.

I certainly have no problem including the 2003 Mountaineer.

Many with interest in 2003 models are concerned when late availability options are available, price change/finance incentives, and other info relating to current models. We could care less that someone has an oil leak on their 1992 Explorer with 210,000 miles and wants to commiserate with other oil leakers.

What say you HOST?