Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 300 SportCross

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    35moparman... The fact they are so rare and hard to find is both a blessing (since it is likely yours would be the only SportCross for a zillion mile radius) and a curse (how can you test drive what no dealer has).

Think the SportCross my wife bought earlier this year is the only one my local dealer had for the entire MY2004. In the past year, believe I've seen one other SportCross and I drive about 25,000 miles a year.

The SportCross has some interesting characteristics compared to the IS300 sedan. It actually has a slightly better weight distribution. Believe the sedan is 54/46 and the SportCross is 53/47. Plus the SportCross uses a slightly wider rear tire (a staggered tire set up). (My wife's car came with the summer high performance tires.) So it is a most competent handler!
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    If you find one on a local lot, I'll be surprised. I looked around for five months or so (casually) stopping at various Lex shops from time to time to see one. No luck.

When my dealer went to locate one for me, he found 11 of them in a 100-mile radius.

If I had to to it over again, I'd order one. I'd order one exactly to my spec and wait the darned ten weeks for delivery. I didn't have that option on the last one. :(
  • saz1861saz1861 Member Posts: 26
    I don't think you are going to find a new SportCross on the lot. When I bought my '04 in January, I special ordered it. It was worth the wait. I am in SE PA and NONE of the dealers in the area had one when I was shopping. A couple told me they did not make them anymore. I drove to Baltimore to test drive a used one. However, if you like the IS sedan, you will love the Sport X. A couple of NJ dealers will special order one for you. I bought mine at Lexus of Cherry Hill. Lawrenceville also would order. I had to put $1000 down at the time of ordering. Good Luck.
    Just put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires on the SportCross. 205/55R16 91Q. Bought 'em thru the Tire Rack. Part of the IS300 package: $800 for tires ($105/t) & alloy wheels ($95/w) plus $77.40 for freight and then a final $20 at installation. Grand total of $899.40.

Had the four tires/wheels shipped directly to one of the participating Tire Rack installers (used TO Haas). Very easy to order. No problems with installation. Worked like a charm.
  • polentapolenta Member Posts: 3
  • polentapolenta Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2002 SX to replace a 93 Regal. I'm 65, wife 66, so what is all this stuff about the car being designed for the 30-40 year olds? She complained about no airbags in Buick, too much bulk for parking, bad visibility around outside rear view mirrors; and I was fed up with American reliability (although they've become better). Saw this distinctive car on a dealer's used lot, checked all the big red dots in every category for Lexus' in Consumer's Reports, and went for it. Well everything is really cool now, except we traded lots of rear end glass in Regal for a poorer rear view in SX, but that's only minus so far. Had to give it 60k service at $1,000+ from local dealer,(ouch) and paid $1,400 for 3 year/30k extended warranty ("Vehicle One"), but $18.5K "low dealer price" seems to balance it out. Ex. warranty moves mileage coverage out to 2007 and/or almost 100,000 mi. in this case. Considering the cost of genuine Lexus parts and repair charges, does anyone out there think it is fair? or unfair? I've had extensive "racing experience", all with my wife at my side, telling me constantly to stay on my side of the yellow line. Well, this car begs me to choose a turn in point, hit the apex, and track out on the far shoullder. Can it get any better than this? She's getting hoarse reprimanding me. Guess I'll have to settle down a bit. We live near Laguna Seca, but she hits me upside the head whenever we pass the entrance to the track. That's OK, when the IS300 Sportcross becomes a classic, (I hope) then I'll slap a number on the side, but some racing decals on it, and BS the race people with a story about winning my class at Le Mans, Sebring, or someplace.
    polenta... Sounds like you are enjoying your great car. The IS300 SportCross is a joy to drive and drive hard. Just be prepared for tire wear.

Does yours have LSD? The summer higher performance tires? My wife's has both. Blast to drive.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Since I am kidfree I removed the rear headrests the first week I had the car. It helps with the rear vis.
    Somebody on the OdyClub mentioned that Lexus is going to do up a Sienna mini van for 06 and will call it the SportCross? That should make it pretty interesting in the future when you tell people what kind of car you drive?
    We were hit with about 12 inches of snow this week. My wife raved about how her IS300 SportCross performed with snow tires (Blizzak WS50s). She said it handled better than any other car she'd had, which included other RWD and FWD cars. (We've never had an AWD or 4WD vehicle.)

Snow tires, VSC, ABS/TC, and winter AT mode all help make the IS300 decent in the white stuff.

I'm still amazed at how beautiful her car is. Love the look and color, bright red. And you never ever see another one so people ask about it. Great car with exclusivity.
    Seems like I am now in a SportX zone. There are two other cars that now frequent the office mall area that I hang out in. I regularly see a black and grey one. It is pretty strange because I never see one anywhere else except when I go to work.

My Sportx days are probably numbered at this point. I am sorta of in love with the new C6 Vette. I am working towards acquiring an 06 version next fall.
    jmess... You want to go from a 5-seat $30,000 wagon to a 2-seat $45,000 sports car? Hope you have a 2nd car. [If I was gonna buy something like an '06 Corvette, I'd much rather buy an M3. Same performance but with 4 seats and a trunk.]
    Not to worry we have an Ody van and Accord. I am kid less so losing a backseat isn't a big issue for me. I had a couple of CRXs so I have lived with 2 seaters before.

I have never owned a V8 muscle car before and I really like what GM has done with the C6. I have been so anti GM in the past that I almost can't believe that I said that though

I think a loaded M3 with the SMG (which I would want) would cost more than a C6 configured to my specs. I also think the C6 would be cheaper to own and operate than the M3 over the long run. The C6 isn't as high tech as the M3. Just a big old reliable push rod V8. The LS2 is more of a torque monster(400 of them) than the M3. I also think the C6 might be a better cruiser than the M3 on a long trip.

The wife just gave me her blessing today for this project. My current plan is to wait until August and order an 06. This gives the General a year to work out a few C6 bugs. So that leaves me lots of time to kick the tires on the competition.
  • duckman748duckman748 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into picking up a CPO Sportcross. I was wondering if someone has a list of the model year changes?

Also, what is the advantage of having the LSD and the VSC? Doesn't the car already have the traction control?
    duckman748... The SportCross came out as a MY2002. There really haven't been too many changes over time. You might ask the dealer or look at Edumunds material here. The SportCross has always only come with an automatic tranmsission.

Anti-lock brakes prevent the brakes from locking up so you don't skid and can still have some steering capability.

Limited-slip differential is an acceleration enhancer. It ensures power goes to that wheel with the most traction. An open differential sends power to the wheel with the least traction (e.g., a wheel spinning on ice).

Most traction control systems use the ABS system and sensors (and sometimes will reduce engine output) to reduce wheel spin in order to maintain traction. BUT TC is NOT an acceleration enhancer.

Stability control systems use the ABS/TC systems and additional sensors to compare where the computer thought you wanted to go to where you are going such that if it appears that you are about to fishtail it will brake whatever wheel is needed to ensure you maintain the appropriate course.

NHTSA has extolled the safety virtues of stability control systems. They prevent things like rolling your car.

GET ALL THESE SYSTEMS ON THE SPORTCROSS. ABS and TC are standard. LSD and VSC are options.
  • duckman748duckman748 Member Posts: 2
    Riez,

Thanks. Yah it seems like to get the most out of the sportcross, I will want to get everything on it, and since the VSD and the LSC are not very much (compared to the other options), might as well get them.

How do people like the GPS form lexus? Boss just go the Acura RL and it is amazing. Have not seen the GPS that comes on the IS300 in 2004. Is it worth the money?

Also, Does anybody know of a tow hitch for the sportcross? I have a Ducati motorcycle and I need to be able to trailer it to the track. Total weight of the trailer and the bike is undre 1000 lbs.
    I don't know anyone who has done a hitch but I saved this link at one point.

http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip.asp?ProductCode=284334&OI- D=8
  • chasmanchasman Member Posts: 16
    Hi brydymond,

You wrote:

"Even with TRAC, VSC, LSD and snows its still a wee bit scary every now and again."

I would appreciate if you could elaborate about your 16" snow tire SC winter driving experiences. Also, which snow tire has worked best for you?

Thanks!

Chas
    How well does the RWD SC w/LSD & VSC handle long snow-covered hills?

Thanks!
    Obviously, 16" 55-series tires are better suited for winter tires. What about the rest of the year?

17" wheels & tires will provide better handling. How much will they impact ride quality and increase the risk of pothole damage? Are 16" tires better suited for the rain-prone Mid-Atlantic? Are there any other considerations?

Thanks!
    While there isn't a TSX hatchback or WGN, the TSX does have a fold-down rear seat, rear side-curtains, 2 more cubic feet of passenger space, and better MPG.

Any thoughts?
    chasman... I have yet to read a test report of a TSX with automatic transmission. I'm betting it is a dog. Remember, it is a 4-cyl car. The SC/IS uses the larger I6 that also has more torque. The SC only comes with AT.
    Hi riez,

Thanks for the reply.

"I have yet to read a test report of a TSX with automatic transmission."

CR has reported on the AT TSX.

"I'm betting it is a dog. Remember, it is a 4-cyl car."

Yes, it does have less torque.

Please see revised question:

While there isn't a TSX hatchback or WGN, the TSX does have a fold-down rear seat, rear side-curtains, 2 more cubic feet of passenger space, better MPG, FWD (better for winter traction than SC?) and a choice of AT or 6-spd MT. Any other thoughts why the SC may be a better choice?
    Go into a tight 2nd gear corner and get on the gas hard with both cars. Notice TSX increases understeer, has torque steer, and the inside tire spins because it doesn't have a limited slip. Go the same in the LSD equipped SC. Notice you can get on the gas a lot sooner and harder. Notice the lack of torque steer, notice the car rotates the rear end with the throttle. Notice how all this happens with very little drama. For fun try the same comparison with a TSX automatic.

Now drive around for a day and notice how many SCs you see vs TSXs. Nobody even notices the TSX because they see one just like it every where. Nothing wrong with that but it gets kind of boring going to Costco and seeing 5 TSXs in the lot along with a million other Honda products.

As far as winter traction goes both cars need winter tires to be safe. I find that most of my winter worries are caused by other drivers more than traction. Unless you have a helicopter you aren't going to get very far between traffic accidents when it get really slick.
    Found the one you are referencing. November 2004 issue of CR.

Out of their overall list of 21 "Sporty Sedans", CR has the IS300 in 4th ("Excellent") and the TSX in 8th ("Very Good"). As they put it, "If sporty performance is most important..." then they top rank the IS300. For a good balance of sportiness and comfort", they have the TSX ranked 6th.

CR recommends both. IS300 has the best predicted reliability of all 21 cars!

As I suspected, the AT TSX is an absolute dog. 0-60 mph in 9.2 seconds!!! The AT SC is about 1.5 seconds or more better according to published test results (around 7.4-7.7 seconds).
    Goodness!

I'm so happy I'm in the State of Permanent Summer Tires (CA)! ;) BTW, the F1s have been exemplary in the wet, great in the dry, and are holding up well at 10K. I think I may get to 14K this time before I re-up. Good recommendation, jmess. Only downside I've noticed is a pretty fair dB difference as the tread has eroded. But ride, handling and traction have way more than made up.

The SC is now at 20K and remains the joy to drive it has been since day one. People still ask me what it is and why haven't they heard of it.

I understand your C6 lust with regard to muscle for fun. I myself am still casting longing looks in the direction of an S4 Avant. But when the SC lease is up in 15 months, unless Lexus shows me something dynamite in a compact wagon (not bloody likely), I'm really leaning toward the A3 Sportback 3.2 DSG.

The A4, 3-series and IS are all getting up-sized, and frankly that doesn't interest me. I don't care to give up the RWD, but after having spent some time in a new TL, I realized that day in and day out I hate a car larger than the SC, even a really competent one. That's hate!

Still, before it's all over, I may just fall to that V8 lust. Just the thought of stripping off the S4 badges and playing around town...
    Wale, am still happy with the F1s also. I have a slight hearing problem already so I pretty much always drive any distance with ear plugs in. Really helps on a long trip when the wife is ranting about something; often provoked by me though.

I really like the specs on the S4 Avant. I spent sometime in the previous twin turbo S4 and found it to be a fun car. The A3 look interesting also. I wouldn't hold your breath for Lexus to come out with something as interesting as the Avant.

I have yet to drive a new C6 due to the limited number in my area. The supply is just starting to exceed the demand a bit so that might change pretty soon. I am really nervous about the legacy GM has with quality and customer sat.
    Can anyone recommend an independent Lexus mechanic in Grand Rapids, MI?

Thanks!
    Well folks I sold my SportCross back to the original selling dealer today. I wanted a quick sale without having to spend a lot of time preping the car or dealing with the public. So they gave me average trade in which was fair considering my desire for a quick sale.

I had a talk with my original sales guy and he said it was kind of funny that back in 02-03 they had a hard time selling these cars. Now that they hardly ever get one they have people ask for them. So they see the rarity of the SportCross as a good addition to their current used car mix which had 3 sedans.

Another note is they struggled a bit about buying the car due to the Intensa Blue Pearl color. The comment was a few years ago the IBP color sold really fast. Lately they haven't been selling well. So color choice can have an impact on the value of cars over time.

Anyway it was a great car that only something like a C6 could really replace. I highly recommend these cars and I was also impressed with Lexus in general. So now I have to wait for my C6 to be delivered and drive a Honda van every day. So it goes.
    You pulled the trigger on the C6?

Weh-hell, congrats big guy! Oh I'll bet you're going to have a blast!

Sorry to hear that your SC is gone, as there's one less person to talk to, but I'm happy you took the plunge.

In a way, it's like peer pressure. I may just have to give much more serious consideration to the S4 Avant and give up the notion of the A3 3.2!
    ;-)

Enjoy!
    Wale, I think I am feeling age pressure. Mrs. Jmess informed me that this was going to be my last car toy so I had better make sure I got what I really wanted. This is the same woman that let me buy 3 different race cars over the years so I thinks she really means it this time.

I had never owned a V8 powered vehicle until I bought the Tundra truck to tow the racecars. While the Z28s, Sting Rays, GTOs, BOSS 302s, and etc were screaming around I was driving imports with 4 bangers.

So I see the C6 as a good compromise between a muscle car and a sports car; along with a bit of lux. I also thought that I would rather be an old guy being forced to sell my Vette, than being an old guy that never had one.

So if the Avant fits and won't break the bank then go for it. If you have to tighten the belt in the future, sell it and enjoy the memories. I see the depreciation as an entertainment expense. Far cheaper than yearly trips to Vegas?
    jmess...

"they struggled a bit about buying the car due to the Intensa Blue Pearl color. The comment was a few years ago the IBP color sold really fast. Lately they haven't been selling well. So color choice can have an impact on the value of cars over time."

While in a few cases there are bizarre colors (remember Chrysler's Nitro Yello for the early Neons?), the dealer will tell you anything and everything s/he can think of and make up in order to reduce what they'll offer you for your car. Heck, if it was red they would say red was out. Or green. Or yellow. Or any other color that your car was in. Ever notice how at the time you trade your car or try to sell it to a dealer, your car's color isn't "hot" any more?
  • carlidexcarlidex Member Posts: 1
    I just stumbled onto this forum and it's great! Considering getting a Sportcross within the next few months. Any opinion on interior trim? How about heated seats? I am spoiled having them in my GTI. Lease is expiring soon & I am ready to upgrade. Will most likely search out a used Sportcross. I understand tire wear is a concern. Any help on what to look out for will be appreciated.
    Riez, I did some checking and Edmunds for example has color adjustment in their used car eval. I really don't think they were playing games. The only reason they didn't buy the car the first day was to check on what the sales team thought about sales potential. In this case being a sportcross probably sold the car. One of the salesreps said that since they seldom have a sportcross, people ask for them enough that he thought it was a good idea to have one. He said it was sort of strange because they were really hard to sell in 02-03.

It was a pretty nice transaction. We talked about the car for 5 minutes the day I was there and they said they would call me. The next day they called and wanted to buy the car. So the following day I dropped it off and got the check within about 10 minutes.

First class treatment before buying, after buying, and when selling the car back to them. If I am ever in the market for another sports sedan then Lexus will most likely get my business again.
    Go with a loaded car (nav is your choice). Make sure you get the limited slip. The difference between a loaded car will only be about $500 (nav maybe more).

I switched to 17x8 wheels and 225-45-17 tires on on 4 wheels. I put about 10K on them and I didn't have any abnormal tire wear and I drove the car fairly hard, but not stupid (all at 35PSI BTW). I still think most of the tire wear issues are due to alignment. It takes a few years of experience doing alignments and a lot of attention to detail. I think a lot of the dealer techs doing alignments are lacking one of the two. Also the tire shops alignment folks operate mostly using the "close enough" method.

Riez and Wale may have another opinion though?
    Nope.

Alignment is key, and you can't trust the dealer to make it right, IMO. They'll get it within factory spec, but if routinely driving hard, factory spec isn't quite close enough apparently.

I still have the staggered set up, and maybe that has something to do with it, but I'm wearing the outside shoulders in front, and my pressure is at 37 up there, or two pounds up. I'm also wearing both outer shoulders in the back, though much less notably. And this is all with a dealer alignment after the last rubber change. I'm thinking a slight camber adjutment is in order, but I'm not spending the $140 the dealer charges to tweek my tuning. They wouldn't understand what I was talking about anyway, being used to dealing with LS, ES and RX drivers... ]-}

One thing I would definitely not do is opt for a longer-wearing, less sticky summer tire. The fun factor with sticky rubber is simply too darn high. Anything less, IMO, would be cheating yourself out of some serious joy!
  • silverbacksilverback Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a used Sportcross in Texas but the EPA estimated mileage of 18 mpg./city & 24 mpg./hwy. has me concerned about gas costs, since it requires premium gas. Any feedback in this regard & any other pro's or con's on a 2002 Sportcross?
  • SE92692SE92692 Member Posts: 10
    I've had mine since Dec 2001 and the gas mileage has been around 21 mpg combined highway/city driving. It probably won't get much better than that. Ths IS300 does require premium (91) octance but with the recent high gas prices, I have refilled at times at 1/2 tank with 89 octane + so the mix is around 90+. Hasn't been a problem with performance or mileage.
  • SE92692SE92692 Member Posts: 10
    My OEM Bridgestones are just about ready to be replaced after getting about 26,000 miles. I'm considering the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. I've heard good things about both, except the F1's seem to have a softer sidewall. Anyone tried the Dunlops yet?
    I actually got 24 on an extended freeway trip in the 75-90 range. What is sort of funny is the C6 with 400HP, automatic, and the optional lower 3:15 rearend gears gets the same mileage as the SportCross got in the city and highway. With the stock rearend it would beat the SportCross. I am turning 1500 RPMs at 70 MPH where the SportCross was turning around 3000 if I remember right.
    Problem is the lack of a deep overdrive. IS really needs a 0.70 or deeper overdrive 5th. Car turns over too many RPMs at higher speeds. If you need to accelerate, you can downshift. Don't know why Lexus gives you a 5th gear ratio designed to facilitate passing without downshifting.

My ex-wife has about 20,000 miles on her '04 SportCross. She's always gotten about 25 mpg driving on interstate at about 74 mph.

In midwest many drivers have switched to 90 octane ethanol. Ethanol now about 10 cents cheaper than even 87 octane regular.
    Welcome back riez.

Somebody finely bought my Blue 02. I sold it to the local dealer and they ended up doing a CPO on it. While I was working on the C6 purchase I sort of had seller's remorse a few times. It was tough driving the Ody Van every day. Now after about a month of driving the torque monster I have pretty much got it out of my system but I am still going through steering feel withdrawals. The IS steering feel is really good and the C6 is sort of numb at times.
    jmess... A major point of driving is to enjoy it. What is the point of spending all the money if you don't enjoy the drive? I'm sure your C6 is a blast. (Hope you have the 6-speed.) But the IS is an outstanding car in its class and for the money. Finally had mine up to 140 mph (indicated speedo) recently. While not quite as steady and quiet as my old 540i6, she still showed what a great sport sedan/touring value the IS is.
    I haven't had the C6 over 110 so far. You are going to hate me but I have the 4speed auto. The only time I want a manual is on a road race track where I can push a car to the limits. Since I retired from road racing, I have had no interest in doing the two foot shuffle in daily driving. I have enough stick time that I think I understand the trade offs between a manual and auto. I can't see myself ever buying a traditional manual gearbox in a street car again.

With the torque monster and the 3:15 perf rearend the auto is less than perfect but it gets the job done. The main thing I don't like is how violent the kick down can be if you end up in first gear. If it wasn't for the electronics you could loop the car if you were turning at all because the car has so much torque. The stability and traction control system work really well in this car. Far better than the nanny mode the SportCross stability system is locked in.
    New paws on the SportCross this AM; last set I'll buy for it before the lease is up next year.

Went with the F1 GS D-3 again. Four installed at Big O ran $714, down a bit over last year. Got them on just in time for a run up the coast to Sonoma (Cazadero, really) next Thursday. Can't wait. Once out of Petaluma and onto CA-1 it's a beautiful and mostly curvy drive. Pretty much perfect for the car.
    Wale I can still remember how nice the GS D3s felt when I got them and how much fun they were in the rain. The rear tires on the torque monster are 285-35-19 Good Year run flats. I am sort of limited on tire choices at the moment. I am not sure if the better grip and ride qualities of conventual tires are worth the risk of getting a flat some place far from home. You will ruin the tire pressure sensor if you use a can of flat fix; but what's $75 at that point if you have a flat.
  • hkyhky Member Posts: 71
    Well, after lunch a rock kicked by a truck hit the windshield, I didn't realized a crack until later and its a long one so can't be filled. I checked dealer quoted ~750, my deductible is 500; called SafeLite (using non-oem glass), quoted 430 if going thru insurance then they say they can lower it to 240, then they say they are competitive and lower to 200, if I push them more I guess probably will go lower... Anyhow, have heard rusting, leaking, due to improper installation and even death during crash.. The problem is besides the oem glass, who knows whether the dealer or local shop has better installer? since dealer also contracted it out anyway. I am just wondering if anyone on this forum has ever replace their windshield on their lexus. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • andybean224andybean224 Member Posts: 5
    I'm going to lease a new car in the next week or two and would like some advice from knowledgeable car enthusiasts. I think I've narrowed it down to the Audi A3 and Lexus IS300 SportCross. I drove both today and I liked different things about each. Tomorrow I'll go back to both dealers and see what their best prices are, but I wanted to hear what people in this forum would say. I know everyone has different tastes and needs, but I'd still like to hear some opinions. I live in LA, no snow, mostly city driving. I want something a little luxurious but still fun to drive and the size of these cars fits me perfectly. Any helpful thoughts?

Thanks,
    Andrew
  • whakimwhakim Member Posts: 1
    I want to get away from the staggered tire/wheel setup on my otherwise stock 2002 sportcross, and run the same size 225/45-17 tires on all 4 corners.
    Can I pick up a pair of the stock 17x7.5 rear wheels and 225/45-17 tires and use them on the front without offset or rubbing problems?
    Will I have to use front wheels with a 50 offset and rear wheels with a 55 offset?
    Can anyone suggest a non-directional 225/45-17 tire so that I can rotate the tires in a conventional manner?
    After three years, I have gotten really frustrated with the uneven wear and replacement issues, and a flat left front tire this weekend has pushed me over the edge (the directional spare works on the right side only).
    I think is was reported that the stock sportx 17x7.5 55mm offset rear wheel and a 225 tire will rub a bit at full steering lock on the front; you might want to confirm this on one of the is300 boards.

I had four 50mm offset 17x8 Volks on my car with 225 GoodYear GSD3s (directional). I really liked the way the car turned in; it dialed out some of the understeer which was further reduced with a set of aftermarket swaybars. So I know for sure the 50mm offset and 225s won't rub.

The is no reason why you can't use the directional spare any time you need it. It is a spare and nothing bad will happen to the tire. The tire just works better when rolling in the prescribed direction.

You would have to check some of the tire stores for non-directional tires.

I found that tire wear was diminished with wider wheels and tires along with a proper alignment. The inside edge will still wear faster than the outside though.
This discussion has been closed.