Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona (2005 and Earlier)

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    sounds like a definite problem, but not the fault of the vehicle itself. I'd make sure the dealer is not going to charge you for tearing apart the dash, if it turns out the problem was some sort of user-caused situation.
  • xafxafxafxaf Member Posts: 2
    I am a happy owner of a 02 Sedona, with 35k and no major problems since purchase.

A few minor problems but that's what warranties are for.

My brother in law just replaced the transmission in his brand new Grand Caravan, less than 5k on the van. Sure makes me glad I got the Sedona.
  • firetektoofiretektoo Member Posts: 15
    First time in about a year I've been on. Have a new passion - Dodge 2500quad cab Turbo Cummins Diesel (aaaaaarrrrrgh MORE POWER!) and a BIG fifth wheel.

But the Sedona (our second) is still doing fine.

Our first was "totaled" at about 50K miles at the dealership when a towtruck driver ran full bore into it. Over $6000 in damage. Their offer to fix we found totally unacceptable. Their offer to trade above old vehicle wholesale and several thousand below new vehicle cost was OK. (Perhaps the words "lawsuit" helped out a bit....)

The 2002 one was virtually trouble-free the entire time except for: Replaced radio within 1 month, the classic Moo-ing rear AC, and the lumbar support switch (leads fell off - fixed myself).

The 2003 is identical except for the addition of ABS and no leather. It has been completely trouble free for almost 23000 miles.

Items of note:
    Fuel mileage on the van is about the same as the 1-ton-heavier truck (about 22 on the road). We swap them off as daily drivers.

We are still impressed with the smooth power band and seamless transmission shift points. This combination makes it the preferred tow vehicle for our boat, the ATV trailer, or son's pop-top.

There have been no trim, electrical, or performance issues and we find the van still fun to drive.

Our only real disappointment is that, even after 3 full model years and numerous accolades, the Sedona is still not considered mainstream by most buyers, at least out here in the barely civilized Oklahoma wilds.

We STILL love our Sedona and plan on keeping our good looking, dependable, user friendly and QUALITY van for a long long time.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Or is Kia going to just jump from the 2004 Sedona to 2006 and forget about MY 2005?
  • rcwiiircwiii Member Posts: 7
    I've been lurking these boards for the last few weeks trying to decide if the Kia Sedona was worth buying. I needed a minivan on a fairly tight budget and my first though was the Kia Sedona with all the radio ads the local dealers have been running. I check it out and gave it a short test drive and was impressed, but truly concerned about reliability. My Honda CR-V had been holding up well, but with the recent addition of a 3rd carseat it was extremely cramped. The only other car in the family is my Chevy S-10 work truck which won't get the family around so I need a reliable family vehicle.
    After reading these message boards I felt most people were having a good experience. Today I bit the bullet and bought a 2004 Kia Sedona EX from Bill Byrd Kia in Birmingham, AL. The buying experience was nice and laid back unlike past experiences in car buying. The car is pretty loaded up with leather and sunroof. I think I am missing a few small options like the seat warmers but I can live without. My primary goal was a cheap vehicle (cost not workmanship *gulp* I hope). I actualy wanted an LX but they are doing a deal here 15,995 drive off the lot and you can't get your hands on one. I got a good deal on the EX though I paid 20,750 after some hard bargaining.
    Well I am still paranoid about the reliability. Well, on the drive home from the dealer I started hearing this thump thump thump thump noise from the front of the car. It was a very quiet noise so I turned the a/c off and it was still there thump thump thump every couple of seconds. All I could think was what have I done buying a KIA...LOL. Well, turns out I was being an idiot. I had a CD in playing that was scrathed and I had the volume turned almost all the way down (set to like 1) and you could hear thump thump thump... LOL... Shows how paranoid I am about the reliability. When I got home with the van I programmed the HomeLink garage door opener which works great and programmed right up.
    The only thing at this point that concerns me is I hear a very quiet but noticeable sqeal when the engine is on and it doesn't matter if a/c is on or off. You can't hear it inside the car... it might be I'm just not used the car yet and its normal engine noise for this car and like I said I think I am a bit hypersensitive to issues at the moment as I am terrified of reliability issues.
    Well wanted to share my experience so far with everyone as it was quite helpful to me to read everyone else's experience. I will try to post regular updates to let you prospective buyers out there have a good feel for the vehicle. Hopefully my updates will be posotive and I will still be able to recommend the car still in a couple of years.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, sounds like me when I picked up my van in '98. Kept hearing some weird metallic noise that was intermittent. Turned out to be the cheapo mud guards I had stuck on - they would flex at about 30 mph.

Luckily the service writer was pretty smart; took one glance at my van and clued me in without charge <g>.

Enjoy the new ride!

Steve, Host
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Local dealer is offering new 2004 Sedona EX for $16,000 plus tax and tag(this price includes all rebates and customer loyalty offer). This is for an EX with no leather, Sunroof or ABS.

Has me considering trading in my '02 EX on a new '04. Ya'll think I'm crazy??

Craig
    That's a great deal. I would be tempted to do the same with our 2002 EX, but it has been nearly trouble-free and we are past 40k miles. I would say if you have been happy with the quality and reliability of your 2002, just stick with it. Anytime you buy a new vehicle, you run the risk of getting a troublesome or potentially even lemon vehicle. If your luck has been good with your 2002, why change? The 2004 is essentially the same as the 2002.
    Traded in our '02 EX with Sunroof and ABS. We had 21,000 miles on it and they gave us $12,000 trade. We paid $12,900 for it 6 months ago(we bought it second hand from a Ford dealer) so I was happy with that trade.

We bought a new '04 EX with Leather, Sunroof, ABS, rear spoiler and Tow Hitch. Sticker was $25,755 Before rebates we got to $23,651. Then we get $2500 factory rebate then another $1000 owner loyalty and we're at $20,151 plus tax(we paid tax on the difference of the trade and the new van so we saved a little there.

Overall I'm pleased with the deal. We originally purchased the used '02 Kia to see if we would like one before buying new since we realize the new one will depreciate significantly. Since I knew I got a good deal on our used '02 I knew if I wanted to trade it in I would do OK. basically the Kia passed the test so we wanted a decked out new one.

The wife wanted the Sage Green/Beige combo so thats what we got with the Beige leather interior. basically the only option we didn't get was the DVD entertainment system. I didn't want that anyhow because while in the Smoky mountains(we're there alot) I wanted the kids to look out the window and enjoy the scenery and not the DVD movies :-)

A couple of things already seem to be not right on the ride home. there is a subtle vibration in the 55-65 mph speed. I suspect a wheel balance issue. The other issue is the air conditioning didn't work coincidently when we left the dealer but began to work just fine after 5 minutes. We'll keep an eye on that.

Been a long term Hyundai owner since '88 having owned several Hyundais and now the Hyundai/Kia relationship is still drawing me to their great vehicle values.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    Went to Kia.com and submitted my exact specs to four dealers for quotes. Two dealers responded. One wanted me to call for more info, but the other had exactly what I wanted on the lot and gave the following price breakdown. MSRP $26,585, Dealer cost $24,540, selling price after rebates $21,040. This is for Sedona EX, White/Platinum, leather, DVD system, 4-wheel antilock brakes, spoiler, tow hitch. I understand from the website the rebates are $2,500 or 0%, plus $1,000 owner loyalty or competative rebate. Am assuming this price does not include my trade yet, which is a 96 Dodge GC (about $3,000 wholesale). Any comments welcome (soon). Going to the dealer SATURDAY.
    what more could you ask for? The dealer is starting at invoice price and passing along the full amount of the rebates. You probably won't do any better anywhere else. Take a minute to think about exactly what you are getting for 21 grand. 3.5L DOHC, 24 valve V6, 5 speed automatic, good build quality, a pretty luxurious and well-appointed cabin, good safety scores, etc etc etc. This is a pretty good minivan, and you are getting it loaded for $21,040. There are a lot of people spending WAY more on their minivans and getting far less.
  • cambreacambrea Member Posts: 26
    Few days ago, I forgot to turn off few things in my 2002 Sedona EX for an overnight. Next morning, its battery was drained.

So I jump started without much difficulties.
    After jump start, I sat on the drive's seat and waiting for to charge up the battery. (My wife was going to drive it few hours later.) To save charging time, I pumped gas pedal hoping it high RPM would save more electricity to battery.

As I pumped, more and more, noticed some vibration at high RPM, say 3,000. When RPM gets 4,000, the whole car gets shaked and doesn't seem RPM would go up higher. The shift lever was on P position.

Is it normal to be shaken at 4,000 RPM?

Also, is it hard to get over 4,000 RPM when its parked?
    I don't know how our 2002 EX feels parked with the engine running at 4,000 RPM. It wouldn't surprise me if it is 'normal'. The more important point is, this is not good for the engine.

If you want to charge the battery, you should go out for a 20 mile drive instead of racing the engine while the van is parked.
    Let me say that whether your at idle speed or 4000 RPM's...your car is applying about 14 volts to the battery so racing your engine in effort to charge the battery faster is not effective. All cars have voltage regulators to maintain a proper charge level no matter the RPM.

As for the vibration your referring to it may be normal or a perception issue.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • paramedicoparamedico Member Posts: 8
    At 4000 R.P.M. you could be at, or near, the rev. limiter. Haven't tried it in our Sedona, but I know from experience, that's where our Sorento starts to cut out.
  • elthunterelthunter Member Posts: 7
    Hi rciii, Congratulations on your new Kia. We bought ours last September, it now has just over 15,000 miles on it. We have had three warranty repairs on it, but they were all minor things and the van has never spent the night away from home.

I know what you mean about being paranoid, I was that way at first. Reading the Kia Sedona Problems board helped to identify some of the potential problems. Once I realized I had owned a Dodge Grand Caravan for nine years and waited for it to self destruct every day I owned it, I decided with a 60,000/100,000 mile warranty, why worry.

I looked closely at my sister's Sienna when she visited this summer, and I like our Sedona better, especially when I think about how much more she paid.
  • jendjend Member Posts: 6
    I have been browsing this board for all and any info I could get on the Sedona before buying. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences (good and bad). Our new van is in our garage now! We just signed the deal yesterday. I have so many questions and now I know where I can get them answered. But, my first would be this; we have an EX with moonroof (which wasn't a necessity for us, but they seemed to all be included with vans that had ABS..a must for us). We didn't want the moonroof because we wanted a dvd...but finding exactly what we wanted with the color and ABS etc...was becoming an impossibility here in Florida..so we opted for this one..but my question is...we would like to get the dvd installed but I think it would sit back too far for our kids to actually see it because of the moonroof..it would be almost on top of their heads...so should we opt for the "headrest" version...thanks in advance for replies..I know this isn't a major issue...but being a mom of two little boys...it would be a nice feature. We have a portable dvd but an installed version would be nicer I think. Thanks :) oh and p.s. I happen to LOVE the moonroof now that I have one!
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    I was looking for sunroof/DVD combination also. One dealer said it was not possible, but another dealer had one in stock and I bought it. The screen is not too far back (I could measure where ours is if that would help). Don't know if the dealer will do it for you, but you can find a very professional high end auto accessory store(alarms/stereos/etc)which would be cheaper. I would recommend the headrest version if you can afford it, as the screen will not block your rear view mirror like the overhead one.
    Thanks for a quick reply...I thought I had seen the moonroof/dvd combo, too. Congrats on finding what you wanted! I don't have any ideas even what headrest versions cost..but it's worth looking at. I was told that because of the dip in the roof where moon roof slides down into, it would almost impossible for a dvd there?? I hear so many different things.

I thought that maybe the third row passengers wouldn't be able to see the headrest screens so easily until my husband pointed out that each passenger would look at the respective diagonal screen and not the one directly in front of the passenger in front of them (confusing???)

I absolutely love my new van and we are fortunate enough to have the portable dvd..but having one installed would be a tremendous convenience, I think.

We found our Sage/Beige van, but I was adamant about not having leather, it gets way too hot here in Florida!! A tow hitch would have been nice too, but getting exactly what we wanted was taking way too long and the deal we got on this van was too good to pass up!

I honestly don't know why people would pay more for other vans! Mine feels like luxury! I test drove the MVP and Nissan Quest...not a good one for short people..I am only 5'. That center console is hard to see and some of the knobs were hidden from my sight because of gear shift.

I couldn't be happier with our choice...and all of your comments made it easier for us to choose...THANKS!!
    Jend,

Congrats on your new Sedona! We(my wife and two kids) also live in Florida(Spring Hill) and also just bought an '04 Sage Green/silky Beige EX. Ours has the Leather and to be honest its not really that hot to sit on but then again its garaged 95% or the time. We too got the Sunroof, ABS and no DVD. Ours has the rear window spoiler(which makes the van look a little more trendy) and the trailer hitch was a must because we tow our boat with it.

Keep us posted on your DVD system search. Are you a member of the Kia Sedona Yahoo mail list?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Hi! Thanks again for the replies. Our van, too, is garaged all the time..no question, the leather looks very nice, I just don't like the way it feels on hot summery days...we live in Melbourne, east coast..not sure where Spring Hill is...is it near Ocala?

Congrats on your van too! Ours doesn't have the spoiler..got too tired of trying to find every single thing we wanted at the price we wanted, so we sacrificed what we could live without. It is a nice feature though. We will probably have a tow hitch attached later.

I am not a member of the mailing list. Thank you again for telling all of your stories..I love my Sedona!!
    Jend,

Spring Hill is on the west coast about 40 miles north of Tampa.

Our van didnt come with the spoiler so the dealer had to add it after the fact but it is the factory one from Kia. The dealer painted it and it matches exactly. They did a fantastic job installing it too(thank god cause I'm really anal about my cars).

Did your van come with the Hankook or the Kumho tires? Ours originally came with Kumho's but when the dealer scratched all our wheels on their balance machine(we have a small vibration) they replaced all the wheels and tires with a new set they had on hand so we now have the Hankooks.

So far I have used clay magic(clay bar that cleans the paint before polish) and am getting ready to apply a few coats of Liquid glass polish. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Our tires are the Hankook...and as far as the polish and cleaning stuff...ya got me there..fortunately my husband takes care of that!! But I will have him read any suggestions you all have on this board..it has been quite helpful!

My van has 60 miles on it and can't wait to drive it somewhere else besides 2 blocks to my son's school!! We usually walk..but why now that we have our new "3 seats" as my kids say!! :)
  • suv_fansuv_fan Member Posts: 24
    How do you guys feel about not having power sliding doors, especially if you've had them in the past?

I keep hearing how wonderful they are, especially with kids, but you know, I've never had a car or SUV w/PSD, so I can't imagine it being that big a deal (?)! Can it really be worth that much more money?

Thanks :) I'm impressed by the Sedona, what you get for the price, but I haven't driven one yet.
    SUV FAN,

We have never had the power sliding doors on any vehicle either so keep that in mind when you read my comments on that.

There are a few car features I refuse to purchase. One is a DVD entertainment system and the other is the power sliding doors. Why one might ask? Here goes......Lets start with the DVD system. My sister has a system in her Expedition and while on a trip with them to the Great Smoky Mountains in NC/TN we're in some of the most wonderful country you can imagine and here all her kids wanted to do was watch the LION KING ON DVD!!!! I said look out the damn window will you!!!!(Meanie uncle I am).

Next is the power sliding doors. I can see a few instances when this feature would be a true benefit such as bad weather or when your hands are completely tied up with stuff. That being said I still wouldn't want to pay for that option. First I feel the more gizmo's the more that can break. Next I feel we're becoming such a lazy society(I'm not calling owners of these cars lazy!)I want my kids to get SOME exercise so sliding a door isn't really that big of a deal. Additionally this feature does come with a cost. At what point are we spending so much on a vehicle that its insane? Remember when we used to buy cars to get from point A to point B?

There is one feature I wish our Sedona did have and that is the "Magic" or "Stow and go" rear seats. I would have paid for that option.

Otherwise, My suggestion is to take a Sedona for a 30 minute test drive. Even drive it home and see how it fits in your garage or driveway. Take it to a parking lot and park it and simulate real world living. Have someone else drive it and try riding in each seat. Experiment with the different seating arrangements.

Only you can determine when you need. I have determined what I need and the Sedona fits my family in terms of budget, functionality and comfort.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • yoloyolo Member Posts: 57
    Haven't checked in in awhile so I thought I would post. Have 35k miles on the 2002 EX. Finally had the weak alternator with A/C on issue come up and not charge the battery. Took it in to the dealer and they put a heavy duty alternator, new belt and even a new battery in with no questions asked and all under warranty. The dealer even put in a new ECM because the existing one would not take an update. Even though there was nothing wrong with the previous ECM as far as it functioning goes, I got a new one with updated software. Oh, and no charge for that either. The fan was also replaced because of the noise when the A/C is turned on. This was another TSB so no charge and it is super quiet now. Other than these known TSBs, the van has been a pleasure to own and the dealer/service experience has been second to none. For a comparison, the previous 97 Grand Caravan had a faulty horn from day one and the dealer never fixed it for the 5 years that I owned it.
  • suv_fansuv_fan Member Posts: 24
    I love to hear different viewpoints. You brought up some very good points I had not considered, so thank you very much!

I'd love a DVD system, but I want my children to notice beautiful scenery, too. Will ponder this more, if I can afford option.

As for the doors, I agree our society is becoming more lazy. I am a lazy person to some extent, but hear you on the "gee, I have to push a door open"! My children are young enough now that they can't even reach the door handle on my 99 Bravada, let alone open the door! So if all they know is sliding a door...

Excellent things to ponder. I appreciate your post very much. I plan to test drive a Sedona fairly soon, but I can tell you for what I've researched so far, this minivan is a surefire contender! Most minivans are too long for my garage, unless my husband would clean up a little...

As for prices, I can't even believe how much cars cost. I think it's ridiculous we pay thousands and thousands of dollars for cars. I don't know how much they cost to make, truly, but come on!

Really like your suggestion about simulating real-world conditions. I've never done a test drive longer than an hour, but I've seen a few over-nighters.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    My wife and I are picking up our new Sedona LX tomorrow. I'd like to thank this list for helping us make our decision. The relative lack of serious problems and the incredible value of the Sedona (we are paying less than 16K) sealed the deal. I just hope KIA is successful and around long enough to honor the 10 year warranty.

I read with interest the comments on the Kuhmo and Hankook tires that seem to both be coming on new Sedonas. I noticed on our local dealer's lot both tires were represented, and I specifically asked for one with Hankook tires since people on this list seem to indicate that the Kuhmos don't last very long.

I did want to make another very important comment on tires. I have noticed that several people here have decided to buy S or T rated replacement tires for their Sedona when the factory tires wore out. I believe this is a bad decision. I know the ratings are called 'speed ratings', and you may rightfully assume since you never drive your van over 90mph that an H rated tire is unnecessary, but that assumption is wrong.

An H rated tire that comes on these vans from the factory offers a lot more than just high speed capabilities. An H rated tire has a much stiffer and more substantial sidewall than an S or T rated tire. This more substantial sidewall not only offers a higher speed rating, but also gives more protection from blowouts and damage, which is especially important with the heavy Sedona, which puts a lot more stress on the tires than passenger cars which S and T rated tires are designed for. Even if you never drive over 60mph, you are less safe on an S or T rated tire.

Also, Kia has designed their suspension around an H rated tire. H rated tires handle differently due to the stiffer sidewall and putting a softer sided tire (S or T) on a Sedona could have negative effects on the ride and handling, also possibly causing safety issues in certain situations.

I don't want to alarm anyone with all of this, but I feel it is important to know when purchasing tires that the tire 'speed rating' is much more important that most people think. As a rule of thumb, never put a lower speed rated tire on your vehicle than came from the factory.

- Chad
    Chad,

Be certain to post here as soon as you bring the Sedona Home. Share your excitement with us. As for Kia being around.....Hyundai Owns Kia now and you can bet Hyundai isnt going anywhere. Sales are going through the roof. The Hyundai factory thats being built in Alabama is like a billion dollars!!

Craig
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    I've got 30K on my 2003 Sedona EX. Hard to get my wife out of it!

We too wanted built in DVD players. However, technology is cheap...based on our experience you can buy 2 or 3 individual DVD players (paperback sized) for about 250$ each now, and still save around $1200 on a factory installed system.

These systems are then available for use in the hotel on rainy days, or at Grandma's when she doesn't have one. Plus, you don't have to listen to fights about what they are going to watch. Plenty of power outlets to plug into.
    Also those units can be used with gameboys/video games. Just my 2 cents.

Have seen on other boards that headrest mounted units are frequent targets of break ins for theft.
    Plus, you can choose NOT to bring along the portable units, if desired. That's not an option with the built-in units. For example, taking a 20-minute trip to the store and back, movie entertainment for the kids really isn't necessary. A 6-hour trip with preschool-age kids is an entirely different story. Our vehicles will never have a built-in DVD/VCR entertainment system because I do not want it to turn into a crutch for our kids. I have seen this happen to other families with young children.

I like the option of being able to NOT bring along the DVD entertainment. We have considered adding a portable unit (either dedicated DVD player/screen or laptop computer) but so far have not found it necessary for our 3 year-old daughter. She travels better than most kids, I guess. Of course, she absolutely LOVED having the DVD player in our friends' minivan during a 500-mile round trip weekend vacation last fall.
    saaber,

Thanks for your post. Your comments are cause for concern, as we recently replaced the OEM Hankooks with some T-rated Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires. I am by no means a tire expert, but have a decent amount of 'general' tire understanding. Your comments have encouraged me to learn more about the implication of speed rating. I suspect your comments in general are accurate, but I also suspect they do not apply in EVERY case. For example, within a given tire size I speculate it is NOT true that every H-rated tire has a stiffer sidewall than every T-rated tire.

Before reading your post, I was confident that our Turanza LS-T choice was better than installing another set of the OEM Hankook tires. I felt they offered better grip and overall performance and were likely to hold up longer too. I am a little concerned about these tires being unsafe for the Sedona, but not concerned enough to remove the tires.

I have heard before about the general advice not to install a tire with a lower speed rating than the OEM tire. I did not think this was important in a minivan - I am not aware of any other minivans that are delivered with H-rated tires. Generally, higher speed rating tires cost more, the OEM Hankook and Kumho tires notwithstanding. My impression was Kia outfitted Sedonas with H-rated tires because doing so was cheaper than fitting Sedonas with a speed governor - Car and Driver noted its test Sedona achieved 122mph top speed, so an H-rated tire would be the minimum speed rating above this top speed. My impression was Kia specifically chose these Hankook and Kumho tires because they are Korean brand tires (I think?) and the least expensive H-rated option for Kia.

Perhaps this is a false sense of security, but if tire shops are willing to take on the liability of installing T-rated tires on a vehicle that came with H-rated tires, how dangerous can it really be? Additional factors that, perhaps falsely, gave me good feelings about the robustness of the Turanza LS-T were the fairly high load rating and maximum inflation pressure. Any comments?

The marketplace reality is that there are VERY FEW P215/70/15 H-rated tires available in the U.S. consumer tire market. Other than the OEM Hankook and Kumho tires, I recall one Michelin tire (the MXV4?) and that was it. The Michelin was far too expensive and I felt better about going with something like Michelin HydroEdge or Bridgestone Turanza LS-T (the 2 tires that stood out in my moderately detailed research as having the best value quotient in the P215/70/15 size) than another set of Hankook RA07.

Can you point us to a web reference which expands on the general characteristics of an H-rated tire vs. a T-rated tire etc. I do not recall stumbling into any of this information on tirerack.com. I realize there is an active Tires Tires Tires topic on Edmunds Town Hall, and I may explore that again.

Enjoy your new Sedona!

Hypothetical question for you: If you were to drive over a nail strip and ruin all 4 tires on your new Sedona tomorrow, which tire model would you choose as the replacement?

By the way, which Saab do you drive? It is interesting to hear a Saab owner (I'm assuming here) purchasing a Sedona. I suspect Kia would like that, from an owner demographic perspective.
    Bluedevils,

I didn't want to worry anybody with my comments, but it seems I did. You will likely have no problems with your tires. If I bought a used Sedona with T rated tires on them and the handling seemed acceptable I would keep them on until they wore out. I simply would not choose to buy lower speed rated tires than the manufacturer designed the vehicle to use. I wanted to let people know the speed rating has more meaning than just how fast you drive.

Since as you noted I drive a Saab, I usually buy European performance tires. In Europe the 'speed rating' is called 'load rating' which I feel is a more accurate description since by default as the sidewall is beefed up to handle higher speeds it also becomes more resistant to damage.

Regarding shops not putting on lower rated tires. Some do not. I once tried to get Sams Club to install H rated (130mph) tires on my Saab 9000. They refused to do it since the car came with Z rated (149 mph)tires from the factory. I pleaded with them and it finally came out that it was a company wide policy due to a lawsuit from someone who bought lower rated tires and subsequently had a blowout and a crash.

Regarding the marketplace having few H rated tires in the 215/70/15 size, you are probably correct, however don't just look at Tire Rack or go to your local Firestone. There are lots of other quality tire companies that don't sell through mainstream American tire outlets. My personal favorite tire manufacturer is a Finish company called Nokian. Here is a link to a fantastic tire that I feel would work great on the Sedona:
    http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6&size=- 215/70R15

I run this model (but not size) tire on my Saab in the winter and it can't be beat for all around traction in many different types of weather. Mind you, this is not a cheap tire. I don't know what the Sedona sized tire costs, but in Saab sizes they cost $160 each but last 50k miles. I feel the expense is worth it considering I live in Minnesota where winter lasts half the year, and tires are the single most imporant safety feature on any vehicle.

You asked what I would buy and run on my Sedona. My plan is to run the Hankooks during the half the year here it isn't winter, and get the Nokian WRs on a separate set of wheels for winter use. You can run the Nokians all year around if you like, but I prefer not to wear out their incredible and expensive tread on summer highways. If I like the Hankooks enough I'll probably buy another set for summer time use when the originals wear out, however that will be a long time from now since they are also 50k mile tires and will only be on half the year. Their price can't be beat at $55 on Tire Rack.

You asked about the Saab I drive. It is a '97 9000 Aero. My wife is selling her '99 Saab 9-5 and taking on the Sedona. Even Saab drivers need more room when you've got two young kids. ;)

- Chad
    Chad, thanks for the reply. You may not get 50,000 miles out of your Hankooks. Ours were doing okay at 38,000 miles or so, but at 50,000 they probably would have been at or below the 2/32" limit. To get 40k miles out of a set of tires costing $55 each is pretty darn good.

Do you think Kia puts H rated tires on the Sedona because of the H-rated tires' better characteristics, or simply because of the 122 mph top speed which requires something higher than a T rating?
    I don't know why Kia puts H rated rubber on the Sedona, but I'd rather err on the side of safety than pass it off as simply a speed thing. As you've pointed out, who is going to drive a van at 120mph? The sales person who sold us our Sedona did say it was the heaviest mini-van available. I can only wonder if Kia was adding to the safety of the vehicle with H rated tires due to its heft. In theory H rated tires should hold up better to abuse than T or S rated ones, but as they say Y.Y.M.V. (Your mileage may vary. ;)

I love the Sedona by the way. We picked it up today with all of 13 miles on it. I think we are up to 72 miles now. I'm a little concerned that the gas gauge is already below 3/4ths after so few miles, but we'll have to learn not to expect 30+ mpg like we got out of our cars.

- Chad
    This would be a good question to pose over in Tires, tires, tires too.

Steve, Host
    People aught not to discount the quality of the Hankook tires. I did some research and it appears Hankook over the past couple of years has been contracted with Michelin to make many Michelin tires for them. I seriously doubt Michelin would do business with a company putting out poor products.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Will let you know how the Nokians work with the Sedona. I've been looking for steel wheels to go with a set of 4 Nokian RW's for this winter since I too have moved to MN. Although the Hankooks did great in the terrible snow, sleet and ice en route to the Army/Navy game last winter, I didn't like the salt effect on my alloys, so looking for a set of good old steel wheels for the cruddy days ahead. Will put the alloys and Hankooks back on during the nice weather.

BTW, at least one dealer has quoted around $110 tire for them stock size.

RE H rated tire discussion. One other factor is heat build up and tread separation. The higher the rating, the more heat it can take...a factor when you drive on the freeways in the summer, even if it is just I64 or I 70 speeds.

My introduction to that was a dash across the US after college graduation with a set of Gislavads on my 914. It was a 90+ degree day, and speeds were"north" of the temperature. (OK, I was young, foolish, and following a great looking Camero). I threw tread off all four tires...fortunately the steel belts held.
  • killerkkillerk Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for very informative and civil ;) posts.

Looking to buy a minivan and Sedona is definitely on top of the list. Got two boys (3 and 1) and we're trying to squeeze as much out of 2001 Hyundai Sonata. Maybe I can hold till 2006 models come out.

A quick question on the weight on Sedona.
    Does anyone know why it weighs so much. I think its curb weight is like 4600lbs. Someone pointed out that's like 600lbs more than a typical minivan.

Obviously this has to contribute to poor mileage. Just curious.

Oh, also, are all Sedonas 7-seaters? Or are there 8-seaters as well. Thx.
    killerk,

Yes your right...the Sedona is heavy no doubt about it. And yes it does play on the fuel mileage a little. With that said let me ask a question......Whats wrong with a little extra weight? It may be low tech but they acheived a 5 star crash rating and I'm certain the steel has something to do with it. The extra weight also makes for a nice ride. The 3.5 V6 is stout enough and the brakes are good enough that you wont notice the weight much.

All Sedona's are 7 passenger. The middle row differs between the LX(small middle bench) or EX(captains chairs). If your looking for the most van for the least amount of out of pocket as possible go for the LX and laugh all the way to the bank. If your looking for an affordable luxury cruiser that wont break the bank get the EX.

As for the '06......I'm sure its gonna be even better than the current Sedona so if you can wait why not? Just expect to pay more for them. At least initially.

As for our new Sedona(we used to also own an '02), We have a small vibration when braking from high speeds the dealer is having trouble tracking down. other than that we love it!

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Sedona is heavier than it needs to be. I feel Kia decided not to spend extra money on better engineering or lighter materials at the expense of fuel economy. That said, fuel economy seems to be closer to other minivans than the EPA numbers would suggest. The 2004 models have higher EPA ratings than the 2002-2003, which I think were on the conservative side at 20mpg highway. Sedona's curb weight is actually more like 4800 pounds, not 4600! Still, there are several vans that weigh 4000+ pounds. I believe the AWD Chrysler T&C is about 4500 and that's the closest competitor in weight. In our use of the van, it still feels peppy and responsive. This is a good engine/transmission combo, even if the professional reviewers don't think so.

The extra weight does not bother me. Car and Driver's review pointed out that some aspects of Sedona's underbelly are pretty heavy duty. Except for a fuel economy and possibly handling penalty, I see no drawbacks. Our minivan is a minivan and to me it handles just fine. We get 21-25mpg highway depending on the circumstances, and this is reasonable for a minivan.

Sedona LX models come with a bench seat in the 2nd row. I don't recall if it is rated for 2 passengers or 3.
  • akwilliamsakwilliams Member Posts: 40
    I read with interest the exchanges regarding tires. We had 48,000 miles on our 2002 EX and needed to replace them. Step one, call the dealer. He tried to sell us Firestones that were S rated. I was looking to replace the original Hankooks. He said he would order them if I wanted them, but that the tire he was suggesting was better. I could tell from our brief discussion that he was not the guy to talk speed ratings with and decided to shop around.

I discussed speed rating with Sears and the biggest "local tire guy." Both were willing to order H rated tires for me, but BOTH recommended S rated tires (from two different makers).

Next step, go to the Hankook site and talk to a Hankook authorized dealer. There was only one in our area. A small local shop with great service and a no-nonsense approach. Not surprisingly, he recommended Hankooks, but he too suggested an S rated tire, the Mileage Plus. We talked at length about the speed rating difference. He explained that the Mileage Plus had better traction and treadware that the H rated original tires. He said Kia put H-rated tires on as the original equipment because of the top speed of the van. He explained that the H rated tires were good, but that he believed the S rated tire he was recommending was safer because of the better wet and snow traction. He fininshed by giving me quotes on both. The original Hankooks were 15 dollars cheaper per tires -- hardly a difference.

I chose to go with his recommendation. We have about 2000 miles on the Mileage Plus and very pleased. Naturally, the van rides smoother, quieter and handles better -- new tread alone would account for that. But, I think it rides and handles a bit better than when it was new. Of course, I could be deluding myself to justify the purchase.

It goes without saying that just about any new tire would be safer than H rated tires with 48,000 miles on them. So, I am not concerned about the choice we made. I am curious though what others hear when they talk to "the tire guys" when it comes time to replce the originals.
    Sounds like you did your homework.

Which brand is the 'Mileage Plus' tire you chose?
  • akwilliamsakwilliams Member Posts: 40
    The Mileage Plus are Hankooks. Four of them installed cost us $345. I had them do a front end allignment for an additional 40 bucks. They ride great and have an 85000 mile warranty. Worth a look if you can find a dealer nearby.
    We only had 200 miles on our Sedona EX before having to evacuate Melbourne Florida because of this hurricane! I only owned my Kia for one week!

Just wanted to let you know that we loved having the Sedona to withstand stop and go traffic on the roads...millions were evacuated! And most of the travel time was spent at a complete stand still...I-4 was a parking lot!

Gas mileage was good..so my husband says..I don't pay too much attention to that..although I know I should with prices these days! I also have to say that having the (portable DVD player) at a time like this was a BLESSING!! Remember I was the one asking about installing overhead or headrest version. Needless to say..we haven't done either yet.

Thanks again for all your comments..we love our Kia!
    Jend,

Congrats on your new Sedona. We too weathered the storm here in Tampa but our Sedona stayed tucked away in the garage and didnt see a drop of rain. Glad you enjoyed the Sedona even in a stressfull time.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • mrwallacemrwallace Member Posts: 69
    Occasionally, our sliding doors hang up a little bit. The dealer said that they use Syl-glide to keep them well lubed. Was wondering if anybody has dealt with this product? Was thinking of getting some to keep at home.

Also, when being closed, the passenger window has developed a click at the end of its travel. Seems to come and go. So far, does not seem to affect operation of the window at all.

If these points have been discussed recently, I apologize for rehashing them - I have not checked out the site for several months.
    The Honda Odyssey people seem to have good luck with something called Shin-Etsu or similar (I never can remember the spelling).

Steve, Host
    Hi, everyone. I know that not everyone cruises different boards. This is worthy of repeating on the speed rating of tires discussion we were having earlier. It does a much better job of explaining why (personal opinion) to stick with the OEM speed rating of the tire to have that defined safety margin.

From the tires forum:

"#4129 of 4141 Re: Importance of speed ratings [bluedevils] by yurakm Sep 02, 2004 (9:03 am)

Tires blow out or fall apart when hot, Ford Explorer style. They turn hot for different reasons, or more often a combination of reasons: high speed, overloaded (or heavy) car, low tire pressure, hot air / pavement, etc.

Tires are rated for temperature resistance. The best rate used to be A, but now some tires are rated AA; the worst rate is C. Most cars have B-rated tires, with C-rated factory installed on many tracks. The infamous Firestone tires factory installed on Ford Explorer were rated C.

In theory, the speed rating and temperature rating are different. In practice, tires H-rated for speed are A-rated for temperature, while S- and T-rated tires are B-rated. Z rate came with AA. At least it was so the last time I checked at Tirerack.

It means that even if you never drive as fast as 120 mph (or even at 90 mph for this matter), with H-rated tires you will have much better safety margins against underinflated tire, factory defects, long trips with family (load), etc. Especially important with your heavy minivan.

#4130 of 4141 Heavy minivan by corvette Sep 02, 2004 (9:26 am)

Egads, 4800 lbs? And that's before you strap Aunt Edna to the roof for the family roadtrip! Be sure the load rating on the replacement tires is at least as high as the originals.

Don't Michelin tires have the lowest failure rate?

#4131 of 4141 Re: Importance of speed ratings [bluedevils] by capriracer Sep 04, 2004 (6:55 am)

Some background on speed ratings:

Speed ratings are based on an indoor wheel test that relates very well to the real world. But like many types of ratings, there are things that folks need to be aware of.

A tire's actual speed capability can be adversely affected by many things. Inflation pressure is one of them. Even if the tire has enough inflation to carry the load being applied, it's speed capability goes down with reduced inflation - I've seen as much as 2 steps.

Speed ratings are based on smooth road surfaces. Add some bumps and the speed capability goes down.

As tires age, their ability to perform decreases. This applies to speed as well. The latest research I have seen indicates that this performance degradation is very much age related and not related to the amount of usage the tire has seen. The research said the degradation can be as high as 2 steps in speed capability.

This also means that an unused tire in the spare rack has degraded performance at about the same level as the tire that is has been used for 40,000 miles and is practically worn out. While I have some problems with this research, my experience seems to agree with this. So my current recommendation is that tires should be replaced when they are 10 years old regardless of the state of wear and where they have been used, and that folks that live in AZ, CA, NV, TX, NM, and FL, the age limit is reduced to 6 years. Other places are in between 6 and 10 years depending on how far north they live. For example TN would be 8 years.

It is always good engineering practice to overdesign and underutilize. This means that while the vehicle may not be going 130 mph, it is safer with H rated tires than with S rated tires."

Hope this helps.