Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona (2005 and Earlier)

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Good idea to cross-post that info here.

I have concluded that, in the specific case of Kia Sedona and Hankook RA07 (H speed rated) and Bridgestone Turanza LS-T (T speed rated) tires in stock P215/70R15 size, the safety margin is no better with the Hankook than with the Bridgestone. Perhaps more accurately, the Bridgestone will provide enough safety margin to allow me to sleep well at night.

I base this on several factors:
    1. Perceived quality of the Turanza LS-T tire line.
    2. Our Sedona is never driven above 80 mph.
    3. Specs of several P215/70R15 tires as follows:
    Brand / Model / Speed Rating / Treadwear Rating / Trac rating / Temp rating / Max Load (lbs) / Max pressure (psi) / Price per tire
    Hankook RA07 H 440 A B 1653lbs 35psi $58
    Kumho 798 H 440 A B -- -- $55 (info not specified on tirerack.com)
    Bridgestone Turanza LS-T T 700 A B 1620 44 $83
    Michelin Hydroedge T 760 A B 1620 35 $102
    Michelin Energy MXV4 V 340 A A 1609 44 $135

Comparing the tire with the max and the min load rating - Is there any real difference between a tire rated for max load of 1653 pounds vs. a tire rated for max load of 1609 pounds? This seems like an insignificant difference.

I was surprised to see the H-rated Hankook rated for max 35 psi while the T-rated Turanza was rated max 44 psi.

Traction and temperature ratings for all 5 tires were the same: A traction and B temperature.

We put Turanza LS-Ts on our Sedona rather than a new set of Hankook RA07, even though I had no gripes with the Hankooks and a set of 4 would have saved us about $100. Why? Because in spite of the Turanzas' T speed rating, I felt they were better tires and were perfectly safe for our Sedona.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    We've had our Sedona about a week and a half now and are already contemplating a few modifications. We bought the LX because of its incredible value, however there are a couple of the EX features I wish we had. The main one is a keyless entry system. There are several aftermarket companies that sell kits for around $100 that one can install themselves. I'm curious if anyone here has installed an aftermarket keyless entry kit? If so, please share your experiences. I also wonder if I were to install such a kit would it void any part of my warranty should there be some sort of electrical problem.

Secondly, my wife is kicking me for not getting the EX for the captains chairs. Our 1 and 3 year old are in too close proximity in the middle seat as they don't leave eachother alone, and the rear seat is too far back. I read from someone else here that they wished to remove the middle seat and move the rear set to the middle. I too wish we could do this but the latches on the floor do not match up. The only option I can think of is to try and pick up some captains chairs from a wrecked Sedona EX. The floor latches are there, so it would work. Am I correct in understanding that the cloth grey seats are different between the EX and LX?

And lastly, I want to get a second set of wheels so I can have a set for snow tires. There is a nice set of Kia Amanti wheels on Ebay and I'm wondering if the Sedona shares wheel offset and lug dimentions with other Kia vehicles.

Thanks for any information anyone can share.

- Chad
  • theundyingtheundying Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I bought a 2003 Kia Sedona brand new from a local dealer ( Nisan/Kia of Middletown, N.Y.). We loved the car and aside from some minor problems ( passenger side power seat not working, excessive wear to tires at only 20K miles, hot spots on the brake rotors), we must say that it was an excellent vehicle. Two weeks ago I dropped my daughters off at school which is five minutes from our home. When I returned, I noticed smoke coming out of the vent on the drivers side. I could not believe it the car was serviced properly, and still had nine years and 80,000 miles left on the warranty... how was this happening??? I went in the house to tell my wife we had a serious problem with the van and then returned outside to check on the situation with the smoke. At that point the car ( with no keys in the ignition) started all by itself, and the windshield wipers switched on. Not knowing what to do, I called Kia roadside assistance to see if they could tell me what I should do. While I was on the phone my wife went outside to see what was going on, and when she did the car had filled with smoke. She then opened the door, to let the smoke out of the car and the panic alarm sounded, and then she screamed the car was on fire. I grabbed a small fire extinguisher from our kitchen, but as soon as I saw the flames, I discarded it, ran upstairs and grabbed my seven year old son out of bed and evacuated the house, and called 911. If not for the quickness of the fire department arriving our home would have been destroyed. It is a miracle it was not damaged other than our driveway ( which was paved a year ago) having the surface of it melted, soot stains all over our carpet from the firemen checking the house for any fire, and a bad smokey smell.
    If I had been in the car when the fire started ( or my daughters which were only out of the car 10 minutes before the blaze started we surely would have been burned or killed. The fire chief stated it was an eletrical problem with the car that started the fire, and another two or three minutes and it would have exploded.
    Now for the best part. Kia refuses to talk to us about this problem. We called them an hour after it happened, ,and we have e-mailed them pictures, and the police report. We are still waiting for the official report from the fire chief. We have contacted our dealer, and Kia directly and the case has been turned over to someone , but the operaters at the Kia customer service hotline will not give me a name. or a contact number. This is madness. What good is their warranty, if they will not back it up.
    Anyway for those of you that have a Sedona already, I pray that you will not have to go through the agony that my family is experiencing. If you are thinking of buying one I would not suggest it, these cars are a death trap waiting to happen.
    Also just a note the car was totally stock. there was no after market equipment ever installed in the vehicle. Oh, and yes we have alredy contacted a lawyer!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If Kia knows you have a lawyer, they probably won't talk to you anymore. That's fine - that's what the lawyer is there for. Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    theundying,

I am dissapointed you had such a traumatic experience. If that event happened to me I suppose I'd use similar if not stronger language in opposition to Kia's Sedona.

I imagine you are a one in a million case otherwise NHTSA would be all over the Sedona. I've seen all kinds of cars on the side of the road over the years that flamed to nothing. I wouldn't call the Sedona a death trap anymore than I'd call the Toyota Camry I saw once burned up once either. Sometimes good products malfunction.

We owned an '02 Sedona for a while then traded for an '04 and have had some nuisance problems(mostly with the crappy dealer) but we still enjoy the Sedona. I just hope if it ever does take a dump on us it wont be as dramatic as yours.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    Kia should just play dumb like Honda and blame it on poor techs and jiffy lubes.
    Norne,

Sounds like an interesting story you have to tell. Do tell :-)

Craig
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    OK, let me see if I have this right...a car with an obvious electrical problem is smoking in your garage, and the phone is going to resolve the problem? There appears to have been plenty of warning to move the vehicle out of your garage and away from the house including when you first noticed smoke coming out of the vents. How was this part Kia's fault?

I'm sure the emotions and adrenalin are still running high, but death trap? Madness? Although your wife's reaction to open the door was very typical, the fire folks tell you not to open doors to your house that have smoke/heat because the increased oxygen/fresh air can cause the flames to break out.

If your description was correct, and your children had been in the car, would you really have continued driving when smoke came out the vents, or would you have pulled over and unloaded everyone from the vehicle?

I'm sorry you feel like a victim but this is exactly why Americans have become a litigous society and the lawyers run roughshod over everything. You carry car insurance, let them and "their" lawyers work it out with Kia. Meanwhile drive on with your life.

BTW, I fought a car fire at my father's service station many years ago, and again roadside with a trucker not so many years ago. Once they start to burn, you won't put one out with typical home extinguishers, no matter what size/class...just too much to burn.

I had a brand new aircraft with 60 flight hours on it blow up on me in the air and dump me out into the slipstream at 500mph...I flew 10 days later, as soon as I got my arm out of the sling and didn't call Grumman products death traps and warn other aviators to stay away...sometimes good products just have hidden defects and malfunction.

I am not trying to start a free fire zone here, but this isn't a Pinto/exploding gas tank situation here, and unless yours happens to be the tip of a "Kia hidden defect" iceburg, I think you are overreacting a bit.
    First of all read what I wrote!!!! What a typical know it alll response.
    1)I never stated that the car was in the garage. the car, it was in fact in the driveway.

2) The car did not start smoking until I pulled into my driveway. I had just dropped my kids off at school. If the car had started smoking while they were in the car, or while I was driving on the street, I would have shut it off, and pulled over and evaxcuated the car.

3) There was no warning of an eletrical problem, until the car started smoking.

4) How is this Kia's problem... hmmmmm.... let's see the car only had 9 years and 80k miles left on the warranty. No, you are right I should just go on with my life and let my insurance company cut me a check that will not payoff my loan, replace the same car ( KIa's reasale value is terrible in comparison to other similar vehicles), or fix the driveway I just had repaved for $1000.00.

5) The car door was opened to let the smoke out of the car. We did not know the fire had started or that there was even a potential fire until the door was open and this happened after the panic had sounded

6) I also found two other people who have had their Sedona's catch fire as well. Hidden defect....???

7) Since Kia will not tell me what they intend on doing ( I finally spoke to someone who promised to call me back with a decision yesterday, as they are aware this is their responsibility, and they never bothered), yes I think a lawyer is necessary.

8) "There appears to have been plenty of warning to move the vehicle out of your garage and away from the house including when you first noticed smoke coming out of the vents. How was this part Kia's fault?"
     This is the dumbest statement I have ever heard. The car is one year old. It certainly is not my fault, and as far as getting in the car and moving it, it took less than five minutes for the whole event to take place.

Every message board has at least one person who knows everything and posts messages without even reading and acknowledging the full content of the post. You have no idea what we have been through and if you had any clue, you would've thought twice about the comments you made.
    I can see that you are a person on an even keel especially after those two posts of yours, so if the group feels I'm out of line, I will apologize.

You will note that I refrain from personal attacks in my posts, and suggest you do the same in the future.

BTW, if you haven't looked into it, your homeowners insurance probably will cover your driveway damage, minus the deductible.

This post probably belongs on the Kia Problems board, so apologize to the group/host in advance.
    Hey, relax. I am very sorry to hear about the problem with your Sedona. It must have been fairly traumatic. I hope this is a fluke occurrence and is not a design defect that may be likely to occur on other Sedonas. Still, there is no reason to come on this board and say 'Kia Sedona is a death trap.' That is a silly thing to say. These sorts of things happen to vehicles of all makes and models. It is simply the rate of occurrence, which a single owner cannot determine based solely on his/her own experience, that determines the quality of the vehicle.

navyair is a frequent contributor to the Sedona forums. He/she is not a know-it-all and is quite a helpful and even-keeled poster. His/her response to your post was a little strong, but I felt it was mostly on target, save for the part where he thought your car was in the garage when this happened.

I do agree with you that a lawyer is probably needed in this situation. I also agree with navyair that our society has become overly litigious.
    I too thought Navyair might have been a little strong in the reply but I will admit I also was a little irritated by the comment accusing the Kia Sedona of being a "Deathtrap".

I have no more fear of my Sedona catching fire in my garage than I would if I had a Chrysler or GM in there.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Had that happened to me I'd expect Kia to step up and do the right thing and not only replace my vehicle, but repair my driveway IN ADDITION to compensating me for "Loss of use".

The only way I could imagine Kia not willingly do this is if there were modifications done that caused the failure.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Craig

Oh I was just trying to make a point that no car company is perfect. There will always be defective cars whether its honda or kia or whatever. I thought I would just mentioned Honda since there is a big discussion going on in the honda cr-v and has honda run out forum about cr-v's catching fire after the first oil change but no one calls them death traps.
    If I offended anyone with my statements about the Sedona being a death trap I apologize. You have to put yourself in our shoes. We really did love the van until it burst into flames, and as a result it makes it that much harder to swallow.
    I am sure that Navyair was just trying to provide some information, but I took it the wrong way, and saw it as a personal attack. For this I apologize to Navyair as well.
    Anyway, we did finally hear from Kia Motors of America, and they rejected our claim (without even asking us any question or even viewing the police or fire report), so we are proceeding with a law suit. We have also contacted the attorney general of N.Y.S., the N.H.T.S.A. and about a dozen other consumer advocate groups. My main complaint is that Kia advertises how great their warranty is, and if this isn't a defect, than what is???? We should actually make a service appointment for warranty work at the dealership. Can you imagine the look on their faces?
    So in closing, my apologies and respect to all who have read our story, and posted their views on it.
    Rejected your claim? On what basis? Are they saying it was not a manufacterer defect? Did a Kia rep even inspect the vehicle? Where is the vehicle now?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    I didn't like your characterization of Sedona as a 'deathtrap' but I am still with you that Kia should replace your van. What do you mean, they rejected your claim? You mean you asked them to repair the van under the factory warranty and they denied it? Did you make this attempt through your dealer, just as anyone would with a normal warranty repair? Or was this through Kia USA or what?

I'm very curious to hear how this turns out; please keep us posted. Obviously, Kia owes you a new van and I don't see how an impartial observer could see otherwise. It seems Kia would have to prove the problem was caused by user negligence or something like that, and that does not seem to be the case.

What vehicles are you considering as a replacement for your Sedona?
    After doing some research online, I found 6 other Sedona's that have burst into flames, due to eletrical problems. If anyone is interested, 5 of the complaints are posted at the N.H.T.S.A. website.
    To me it makes me wonder what kind of company Kia is? If you look at the list of problems that people have had and how poorly they are compensated it is unreal. I feel like we were treated very unjustly, and it seems we are not the only ones.
    In response to bluedevils, I do not know what kind of vehicle to get at this time. We have three kids so a minivan is really convenient. The crazy thing is that we thought the Sedona was a great car. The whole family liked everything about. Trying to equip a minivan with all the options we had would cost us somewhere between 35-40k if we wanted to get something like a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota ( which have much better resale values). Is any car worth paying that much for???? I mean at this point I would have a hard time believing in any warranty. We might just go with Chrysler. At this point I just have no idea.
    I spoke to a represntative of Kia Motors of America. Our claim was rejected because they say it is an insurance issue. I didn't know that the insurance company had a ten year 100K mile warranty on our vehicle!!! What a joke!!!

No one inspected the car, because quite frankly they do not give a damn. Even though the fire inspectors report states it was an eletrical fire that started in the dashboard, they stated that they could not be sure that it was in fact the cause of the fire. Since they did not inspect the car how could they be sure. You would think that there would be some concern on there behalf. As I have previously stated we did find at least two other stories online that people that owned Sedona's had experienced the same kind of occurence, and Kia didn't want anything to do with their cases either and referred them to there insurance company. To me that is scary. I understand that this is only a few cars out of thousands, but don't you think that they would show some concern. I am sure if someone was injured in one of these caeses they would being singing a different song. Any opinions??

At this point the car is still in my driveway because we were hoping Kia would take care of this, and figured they would need to inspect the vehicle. It took almost two weeks for them to even acknowledge they were reviewing our claim. It is heartbreaking to see what used to be our transportation sitting there every time we open our door. Our bank is sending an inspector over today to check out the damage, and then we are moving it to a friends yard until we have figured out what needs to be done.

As a consumer we feel like we have no power at all, and that is why we are forced to get a lawyer. We would have dropped the whole issue if they would have replaced the vehicle.
  • andrdandrd Member Posts: 13
    I don`t now if this can help, but last year I was looking under the hood of my Sedona 2002 and I noticed that the main cable power supply was rubbing against a sharp end of a bolt on the driver side at the tower supporting the left strut. I advised the technical services rep. and the cable was redirect a bit lower and some tape was put around it. Promenades Kia in Gatineau was supposed to advise Kia Canada about the problem.
    Where did the fire started under the hood or in the ventilation system?.
    You can buy a base leftover Sienna 2004 that have most of the features of the Sedona for a MSRP of 3-4K more than the Kia and the Toyota has a better fuel economy; also it is a lot roomier and the ride is better on top of the better resale
    value. There is already big discount on the Caravan 2005 here in Canada and i`m sure it is the same thing over the border.
    Good luck with your negotiations with Kia.
    Thank you for your knowledge. At this point every bit of info that I can gather helps me in this matter. In this case the fire started in between the dashboard, and the fire wall. When the car first began to smoke I popped the hood to see what was up, and there was no smoke coming from under the hood, and instead was pouring out of the drivers side vent.
    Also thank you for the advice about a new vehicle. We will certainly check into the Sienna prices.
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    Has anyone here replaced their air filter yet? Where can i buy one aside from the dealer? How much? Thanks in advance.
  • jondotjondot Member Posts: 63
    I got one a a local parts store, forget which one, for about $10. Had to try a couple of places before I found one had it.
    My Kumho (sp?) tires need to be replaced. Mileage is about 40K and I don't want the same brand; have had a pulling problem resolved by keeping tires in place--not rotating. The front are worn but plenty of tread on rear. Anybody have the Hankook brand? Can't find any comparisons at Tire Rack for Hankook but Kumho don't look too good.
    Jondot,

We had the Hankook's on our '02 Sedona and also on our '04 Sedona as well. After much research in addition to my own personal experience with them I recommend them.

Hankook and Michelin do a tremendous amount of business together. I learned that Michelin actually contracts with Hankook to make many of the Michelin tires for Michelin. This to me says alot if a leading tire company like Michelin hires Hankook to make many of their tires.

In addition, The '02 Sedona we had drove great with the Hankook's. Our '04 had a vibration problem when new but it was the dealers incompentance and not the tire.

Tire rack has them for something on the order of $55? In my oinion its a great value(price/quality).

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Craig, thanks for the quick reply. Pepboys Auto is advertising some Hankook Optimo Plus II for $70. I don't know who else carries them in the San Antonio TX area. Which of the Hankooks do you have and do you have any knowledge about the Optimos?

John
    John,

I dont know anything about the Optimo's. The model we have is the RAO7's that come on most Sedona's. Tire rack lists them for $58 each. If the Optimos are an 80,000 mile tire the Pep boys deal is probably pretty good.

If I can offer a little advice......Buy tires from an outfit that has a "Roadforce" type balancer. Conventional balancers if calibrated correctly are fine but Hunter makes a Balancer than measures other irregularities in the tire and can help the installer make your car ride smooth as silk.

Craig
    Thanks. Is it easy ton install?
    "I'am sure you will be hunting Air Filters too one of these days. KIA's price for the air filter is $49.00 at the dealer. I have checked around and found Purolater air filter part # A35434 for about $24.00 at Advance Auto parts,
    I then went to NAPA auto parts and they sold me one for about $14.00 which the sales person said was a bit of a discount. NAPA's filters are made by WIX and this filter has made in Korea on it so was probably made by the original equipment maker.NAPA's part # is 2086 and WIX's number is 42086"

My dealer wanted $35 for a stock air filter. I bought two (one and a spare) at NAPA for $18.95 each. NAPA had to order the parts, but it only took 24hrs to get them. It is a quick change...less than 5 min with a screwdriver and easy access.
    Navy air,

Thanks. I called a local auto parts dealer, O'Reilly, and he did mention WIX with the same part number. Cost $19.99, at least $10 less than what the local Kia dealer is asking.

More questions if you don't mind.

1. How about the Transmission fluid, where have you done yours? Our van is a little over 50K miles and we have plans on having another road trip very soon.

2. Also, have you replaced your belts yet (not the timing belt)?

Thanks in advance.
    My dealer changed the transmission fluid at the 30k mileage service. I probably would have done my own service, but got pressed for time, and my wife was running the wheels off it and was going to go over the warantee period before I got to it.

My understanding is that Kia uses its own brand of fluid, so you may have to obtain the fluid from the parts dept if you cannot locate an aftermarket source for it.

I haven't changed my belts yet, as the van just rolled over 31k. I normally change out the belts and hoses at the same time, usually around 4 yrs. Occasionally, I've had to replace the belts on other vehicles more frequently.

I armor all my hoses when I change the oil, which gives me a chance to look for leaks, cracks and wipe down any extra dirt...it seems to make a difference in unscheduled replacement of stuff, and keeps the chance of a break down minimized.

The Kia manual is on line if you want to take a look at how difficult those jobs are. (Shouldn't be too hard.)
    Navy air,

Got my air filter. I also talked to a kia service rep to inquire about the transmission power flush. He said it would cost around $160! The last time i had my transmission oil changed was like 2 years ago in PA and can't remember how much i paid for it.

Is it wise to have it done in, like a PEPBOYS or VALVOLINE shops or something?

Thanks in advance.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Navyair, thanks for that info! I was not aware that this info was available on Kia's website.
    I have mixed emotions about the aftermarket quick lube spots. If you have used the location before and got consistantly good service, then OK.

I don't think I'd try a quick lube for transmission service unless I knew the mechanic and was comfortable with him/her...have heard too many horror stories about missing plugs, underfills, leaky seals, etc.

If I were going to have the transmission serviced by anyone but myself or the dealer, it would be a transmission shop like Cottmans, AAMCO, etc. Even then, I'd make sure they knew Kia's unique fluid requirement and understood it. I've been using Cottmans for years and have found them fair priced and knowledgeable. They should replace the pan gasket and transmission filter at that time.

If you plan on keeping your vehicle a long time, it can't hurt to change it every 25-30,000 miles or two years.

I feel your pain on the flush. I told the Mrs. to call around to the 3 different dealers in our area to inquire about the 30k service (she didn't) and we got a bill for $500, including $98/hr for labor. Basically, they changed the fluids and lubed the door locks.
    Went to a quick lube place yesterday for oil change, due to convenience. First time we've had our Sedona's oil changed somewhere other than Kia dealer or by me. I think they did okay - got off to a good start by advising me the oil was clean and at the full mark (before they did anything), suggesting I did not need a change. I don't know why the oil looked so clean because I'm 99% sure it was 4,000 miles since last change.

Anyway, they adjusted the tire pressure and did the oil/filter change. No problems (I checked oil level the day after), but during the fill the guy splattered some oil. I could just enough below the bottom of the hood. He got some on himself, which he wiped off. He did not wipe off any in the engine bay of our Sedona. Disappointing.
    I recently had an oil change also to a quick lube, VALVOLINE quick oil change to be exact. I had it done on a Saturday and didn't use the van 'til Tuesday. When i started the engine i heard some ticking noice. This got me scared so i didn't use the van that day. I took it to the dealer the following morning and when i got there the ticking sound was gone. When i explained to the dealer what happened, he said that it was probabaly because the shop i went to used an ordinary oil filter that doesn't have a check-valve that prevents the oil from leaving some parts of the engine (at least that's how i understand his explanation). I asked him if i need to replace the oil filter and he said that i shouldn't worry about it and just have it replaced on my next oil change.

Has any one of you experienced this before?
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    I have only changed the oil once in our new '04 Sedona. I wanted to get full synthetic in there as soon as possible so on Saturday I changed the filter and oil to Mobil 1 10w30. I was very surprised to find the oil filter so buried up in the engine bay, hidden behind the sub frame. I don't know if anyone else changes their own oil, but this is the worst location for an ease of replacement perspective I've ever seen. In any case, I managed to get the old filter out and the new one on, but the replacement filter was noticeably smaller than the OEM unit. The replacement filter was SuperTech brand bought at Walmart, but made by Champion Filter Corp. It was listed as the correct model for the Sedona. Not sure why it was so much smaller, but since I'm anal about changing my oil regularly I'm not too concerned about it. I also don't see how to get the filter off without splattering oil everywhere since it comes out of the filter housing and pours all over the sub frame member.

I did not hear any ticking afterwards, however I did not let the van sit as long as you did. The longer a vehicle sits without running the more likely there will be oil starvation in the valves for a short time until you have full oil pressure again. It probably doesn't cause much damage, but over long periods of time could cause premature wear.

- Chad
    Yep, the oil filter is in an extremely INCONVENIENT location. I have changed the oil on our Sedona a few times, and always spill a decent amount onto the subframe. Access improves if you remove that squarish plastic shield, but it's still hard to get in there.

I've tried stuffing a few rags on top of the subframe, sliding a cut-off plastic milk carton bottom to catch the extra oil, etc etc. But the mess associated with this do-it-yourself project has pushed me to have a shop do the job instead of me. This is disappointing, because changing the oil in our own vehicles makes me feel like I know what I am doing.

I don't remember for sure, but the OEM filter on our 2002 Sedona did seem to be longer than the replacements I have purchased (mostly Purolator Pure One).

If you are running Mobil 1, make sure you don't change the oil too often or you will simply be wasting money and missing out on the benefits of this excellent synthetic oil.
    I discovered the same thing while using this Super Tech filter. The Fram filter was also shorter with a smaller diameter. I did not like the look of these, so from now on I get the OEM oil filter from the dealer. I hope to eventually find another manufacturer whose product is the exact same size as the OEM unit.
     That crossbar being in the way really makes for a messy oil change. This is what I do...I take a plastic trash bag and fold it up lengthwise so it just wraps around the crossbar (seam on the bottom...rulling parallel to the crossbar). I then use a piece or 2 of duct tape to keep it from moving. After the oil is finished dripping I wipe the excess oil from top of the bag, then remove the tape and bag - leaving the crossbar oil-free!!! Give it a try!!!

p.s. - just ordered 2 air filters from NAPA - will be in today.

2002 Sedona EX - 16,000 miles and counting
    What?!?!? Only 16K miles??? Our 2002 EX is a little over 50K miles already. Bought it in Aug. 2001. But it is still running great, though. I dropped it off this morning at the dealer's service center for transmission power flush.

BTW, i saw the commercial of the 2005 Honda Odyssey and it is somehow similar to the Sedona. Or maybe i'm wrong.
    yeah the 2005 honda odyssey rear looks very similar to Kia Sedona. So much for Honda never copying anyone.
    I like this trash bag idea for protecting the cross member from oil. This may just convince me to start changing our Sedona's oil by myself again.
    BTW when i took my van for a transmission power flush yesterday, i also told my service advisor that i hear a thud when i hit a bump. He said that they will replace my shocks and it will be under warranty. Never knew that shocks are part of it. Anyway, hopefully the new shocks will give our van a lot more smoother ride.
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    I have a VW Passat in addition to the Sedona. The Passat oil filter is even worse, if you can imagine. What I learned from the Passat, and I use the same technique on the Sedona, is to wrap the filter with a small zip lock sandwich bag after getting it loose.
    I loosen the filter with the filter wrench first. Then I wrap a small sandwich bag around the filter and start to loosen by hand moving the bag around with the filter. As the oil starts to drip/pour, it drips goes into the bag. When the filter is loose, I let it drop into the bag and pull the entire mess down without any oil getting out of the bag.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Interesting solution! I am going to have a sandwich and ponder this!
  • dishsnthingsdishsnthings Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone. Just returned from my twice yearly road trip. everything was FLAWLESS. MPG on the way down was 22.37 MPG, empty. 21.94 mpg on the way back full up to the ceiling. this is WITH new tires i just bought 3 weeks ago. i opted for the BF Goodrich in the 225 width, slightly wider tire and NON 130 speed rated, these are 112.
    at 19000 on my 2003 EX i had picked up a screw in the road and had plugged. but in the mean time had the spare on and i was very uncomfortable with the body marks in the sidewall from being in the tire cradle. since i carry heavy pottery long distance, i worry about road construction and such blowing out the sidewall and lost complete faith in the old tires. needless to say ive slept fine ever since, and a fine van drives even MORE smoothly. now that im back i plan to do my mobil one this week, have it all ready. i do mine 2X year (even on my previous Sephia) spring and fall. i do notice that by those times the oil is indeed nasty dark color. so, being synthetic, am i too often, overdue, or just right for approx. 9500 a year?
    also did the air filter, got the WIX for $22 a few weeks ago and glad i did - the old was plugged up with bugs and pebbles/winter sand.
    "thank you" to everyone's great posts here.
    Dish,

If you do 9500 miles a year and change with Mobil One twice a year your good to go. I have yet to switch to Synthetic since I like to change the oil every 3000 miles anyway. For some sick sadistic reason I enjoy doing oil changes. :-)

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Guess who was named the best minivan value by "Strategic Vision"?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-10-04-car-value-category- -winners-chart.htm

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    COOL!!! I knew i can't go wrong when i bought my Sedona. I wonder how the Sienna and Odyssey owners (as well as Kia bashers) will react to this).
  • sedonasorentosedonasorento Member Posts: 29
    I seem to recall seeing some posts regarding pricey air filters -even from Kia dealers. I just bought an air filter for our 02 Sedona from the dealer, for $16.40 plus tax. This is the same price I found online, at www.kiausaparts.com.
  • bluesky2bluesky2 Member Posts: 14
    craigmri, Was there an article with that chart? I'd love to see what went into scoring the vehicles!
      We are looking at minivans right now and leaning heavily toward the Sedona. Seems like you can't beat the features and value.