Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires for '99 Lexus ES300

spon46spon46 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Lexus
Need to replace Good Year Eage tires after 26,000 mi. Thinking of Michelin Energy at $132 ea. Heard it will go 40,000. Also heard Pirelli's will last that long but don't handle well in rain. Recommendations?

Comments

• stevejjjjjstevejjjjj Member Posts: 31
    We have Michelin MXV4 plus on our 99 ES300 and already 28k on it and the tires seems not even half worn yet. Go to www.tirerack.com and check their recommendations and prices and what experiences other customers had to say about the tires they bought.
  • tfk2tfk2 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to say I have a 99 Lexus ES 300 with Michelin MXV4 tires. They wear well, but are very loud on roads that are anything but very smooth. I would look at some other tires on the market that perform just as well, but are more competitively priced.
  • desaljsdesaljs Member Posts: 24
    I agree with a post above. Go to tirerack.com and check there. If you are looking for performance, get a high performance all season tire such as the Dun lop SC 5000 or the new Bridge stone Potenza RE950. You should be able to get a good deal on the Freestone NH 30. If you want a more comfortable touring radial look at the Bridge stone Taurenza Rev.
  • jerryandjerryand Member Posts: 8
    I had my tires rotated and they started making a thump thump sound. The mechanic told me that one of the tires was cupped. Does anyone know what that means and can anything be done other than a new set of tires.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No, you can't do anything about cupped tires, but you should be able to visibly see this damage...usually it's on the outside "half" of the tire's thread, and it appears as patches of uneven wear...in some places the treat is deeper than in others...and the wear spots are abou the diameter of a cup, hence the name.

This is often caused by weak suspension, probably bad struts/shocks
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    When I am lazy-that is often-and do not rotate my tires for over 25K, they cup like crazy even when there are no problems with my Honda's suspension. I have been told that many front wheel drive cars will really cup the rear tires if they are not rotated. Once replaced the rear wheel bearings it got so loud. I rotate mine at least at every 15K now.

Any thoughts on auto cupping front wheel drive cars.
This discussion has been closed.