Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

AutoTrader Experiences

2»

Comments

• flsunangelflsunangel Member Posts: 4
    I had my car out on Autotrader for about a year, lowered the price & still got a few calls, I put it on Cars.com which is linked to our local newspaper & it sold in less than a month after listing!
  • wonswons Member Posts: 10
    I've been trying to research used cars all weekend. Make of car comes up but then the model selection is grayed out and I can't look for a particular model. So, doing a wider search for all models always gets this: 0 vehicles.

Anyone else having trouble with this?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I'd say their data base is down or empty, but the internet 'front end' is still working.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    I just recently sold my car and had it listed in several areas such as Auto-Trader, local newspaper, flyer magazine....and when I received calls on it I would always ask where they seen my add...the answers were pretty spread out accross the board...some seen it in the paper, some on the internet, etc...
    But like anything else, if you are trying to sell a product (in this case your car) then you have to put it out where it will give you the most exposure.
    I did gets those scam emails and the answer I sent back was not very nice...trust me! I cannot say those types of things in this forum...
    What I can say is that there is only three ways to accept payment on your car...
    The first is cash!!! Now if your selling a $30,000 car then you may not want that kind of cash laying around in your house...especially since the person who just bought your car knows you have it!!! Need to think about that one...Second is a cashiers check from a LOCAL BANK ONLY!!! That way you can either go down to that bank with the buyer or call them to verify the funds...don't call the number that the buyer gives you...look it up...hell the person could give you the number to their scam buddy and you would never know....last but not least is a wire transfer...by far the best choice...I don't care if they have a bank, credit union, whatever...every financial institution has the ability to due a transfer. You supply the routing number and account number, bank name and presto it is all done...it only takes hours from funds to get from their bank to yours...it is strictly a deposit...and you don't have to worry about giving out your account number because if your bank is any good there is plenty of fraud security there to protect you.....Never, ever conduct deals of such great financial situations through emails...especially Nigerian!!!
    Just read edmunds forums and your learn more in a week than you have your entire life....that's why this forum rocks!!!!
    Be careful out there!
  • nonjth13nonjth13 Member Posts: 91
    "You supply the routing number and account number, bank name and presto it is all done..." You are not seriously suggesting giving a stranger your bank account information are you?
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    ...every time you write a check to someone.

Now, if you sign an auto-debit form, that's different...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,095
    Exactly...

There is no sure or foolproof way to make a major transaction.. No bank is going to take the hit for any fraud you incur... Unless you operate entirely on cash, they will get their money back one way or another...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

nonjth,

You give the information to the buyers bank rep...via telephone or in person if you go to their bank or vice versa.
    I will say it again...if you have a good bank then they have security procedures in place to protect you and your account.
    Besides...they have to pay you for your car someway...and for me, before I sign that title over I always make sure those funds are in my account. I have done this many times with no problems whatsoever!
    If you have a good head on your shoulders and know what you are doing then there should be no problem.
    And if all else fails and you just can handle selling a car to private party then just trade it in!
    Enough said...
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    It is irritating when the listers (dealers usually, sorry guys and gals) don't update their listings and remove them when the car sells. Also, lack of details in a listing is a waste - especially color and transmission. My experience is that most dealers that list these used cars KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEM. I nearly took a 4 hour drive to check out an Eclipse Spyder (from WV into Ohio). the listing quoted it as being a v-6, I called about it, the salesperson assured me it was a 6 cylinder, we talked price, and thank heavens, I took one last hard look at the autotrader photo and could just make out the GS on the back of the car. I called again and asked if that was a GS, she said yes, so, BAM, it's a 4 cylinder. She said that everyone at the lot thought all Eclipses were 6 cylinders. They even priced it as a GT.

My thoughts on autotrader....look all you want to, check and double-check before you buy!!
  • gregjohnsongregjohnson Member Posts: 117
    >You do it every time you write a check to someone.

Interestingly, this also works in reverse - The back of the negotiated check gives you the recipient's corresponding information. This can be.... useful.

-Greg
  • bogiedriverbogiedriver Member Posts: 12
    I have a car listed on autotrader.com. Last week I received an email from someone making a reasonable offer for my car. I thought it was a little odd to make an offer before seeing it in person but I did reply to him that I would accept his offer, and gave him my phone number to arrange to see the car. After 4 days I received the following email from him.

I am very sorry for getting back to you lately,I travel out of State for art exhibition and it will take me about three weeks to get back,I am actually getting the car for my old mum and will not like that you sell it to another interested customer.
    As regards payment.I am very okay with the price of $14200 and will send to you US POSTAL Money order to avoid further tardiness in completing the transaction so as soon as you get it cashed i will informe the agent that will come for pick up.I will need your full name as you will want it on the check,and address,including your direct phone number for easy communication.Get back to me as soon as you get this mail because i will like the car to be ready before my old mum return from Mexico.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't think you have a "buyer"...just too flakey to believe.

Some of these publications tend to attract this.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Interesting. I don't think I've heard of scams with a US postal money order before, so this has got my attention.

And who is this agent coming to pick it up? If this guy has money to pay an agent, why not use that money to buy "mum" an even nicer car?

Like both you and isell, it just smells fishy. But I'd definitely like to know if they are now scamming with postal money orders.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

i was curious, so i searched and this is the first article I came upon.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/04/26/business/scam.php

i wonder if, unlike cashier's checks, you can just go to your bank with it and have them verify that the money order is truly legit before turning the car over to "his agent."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bogiedriverbogiedriver Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the link to the article regarding Postal money orders.
    I woujld never consider selling the car without actually talking to the buyer and meeting him in person. The fact that he is e-mailing me rather than picking up a phone is a huge RED FLAG for me.
    And why buy a BMW 323i for his "old mum"?

Thanks again
    DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    IT'S A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have placed my share of cars on autotrader.com and have received the same weird emails.....but once you tell them that you will not release the car until the funds are safely in your bank.....you will never here from them again!!!!!
    EVERY single ad that I have placed on autotrader.com comes with one or more scam emails....and when I send a not so nice email back to them....again, you never hear from them again. If someone is interested in doing business like that then a phone call and wire transfer is the way to go....get your bank involved and asked them what in the best SECURE way of doing this transaction!!!
    Again, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I agree with mldj98....Something is fishey. Even bank/cashier checks can come back to haunt you 2-3 weeks down the road. Have the friend meet you at your bank and tell him to bring cash only. This should scare away any scamers...
    And I thought that changing (to a larger amount) is a standard con for inmates that get that ugly pen-pal gal. Get her to cash a valid $10 money order they have changed to $1000. And give the money to their dear old mum for lawyer fees to get them out of the framed-up charges that put them in the pen....

I vote for a scam. Probably a bogus money order.
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    Read this story
    VERY interesting!

I wonder if my neighbors would appreciate that truck sitting in front of my house? :)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,542
    I think Andre should buy it. He can use it to move around the fleet when they won't start.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'll let him know it'sstill available!
  • nv79beautynv79beauty Member Posts: 1
    On 2/1/2006 I purchased a car from Sheehy Ford of Marlow Heights (Maryland) and I have had nothing but trouble since. I understand that I cannot print the names of the culprits, but if you don't go there, you will never need to inquire. I have reported them to BBB, but so far they haven't been very helpful. In not so many words, they are not honoring the agreement made by the former GM, who has not quit. Actually, I know there has to be some problems there because the dealership has gone through 1 GM and several floor managers since February of this year!!

The 2nd day after purchase, the trunk wouldn't open--I took te vehicle back, because I have 3 days to return the vehicle for a "refund". The GM said he would authorize the repair because he didn't want to refund the sale--I had the trunk fixed by the authorized repairman...Now 7 months later, I receive a bill where Sheehy refuses to pay the bill--AND I'M EXPECTED TO PAY UP!!!

I just want to save someone of the trouble that I have gone through for the last 7 months...I am totally turned off from SHEEHY FORD ---the Sheehy name is now a disgrace to hard working honest people looking for a quality vehicle and people of interity who stand behind their word and the vehicles that they sell to the public!!!!
    Are a good place to slander a business.

Who knows what the other side of this story may be?

And, where do people get this three day return idea? this applies to solicited sales only. If someone sells you a Kirby Vacuum at your front door, you have a three day cooling off period!

and, what does this have to do with Auto Trader?
  • afrancoafranco Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if any of you have had a similar experience buying a car using Autotrader.
    The seller is in England and the car is suppose to be in NY in a warehouse, the seller is using Moneybookers.com escrow services (UK based company, works like paypal), they require a deposit of 35% of the transaction to deliver the car for 10 days for inspection.
    I did my research and got the car fax on the vehicle, it shows the last owner to be a auto auction.
    The seller require the deposit to be paid to him as a money order before they can deliver the car for inspection.

The car is been sold for a lot less than the market value.
    It looks like a scam but I wanted to see if anybody else had a similar experience.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Definitely a scam, RUN RUN RUN away.
    yup. Escrow service and warehouse are 2 key elements in most of these car scams.

Run away, run away!

If you do this, you WILL lose the 35% of the purchase price!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    The last used car I bought I located on Autotrader. I then went to the dealers website where I found it listed for $1000 less.

I would recommend Autotrader to locate a vehicle but I would then search the dealer's site or call the dealer to confirm price.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• frankiboifrankiboi Member Posts: 1
    Hi is there anyone else that knows or have been victim of this scam
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Google "Auto Escrow Scams" and you will find a bunch

I had a guy in England try to run a similar scam on me here one time but we caught on quick.

When I contacted the bank he was writing the stolen check on they said I was welcome to forward the info but it is so rampant they probably would not pursue it.
This discussion has been closed.