Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel

bp53bp53 Member Posts: 23
edited April 2014 in Dodge
I would be interested in hearing from some owners of the Dodge Ram 2500 Turbodiesel 4x4. I may be switching my preference to the Ram. My first choice of truck was the Silverado 2500 HD. Now I'm not sure. You Dodge Ram 2500 turbodiesel owners let me know what you think about your vehicle. Are you pleased or displeased? Would you buy another truck just like it?

Comments

• Options
    warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    I have a 2001 2500 quad cab Cummins and am very happy with it. Just got back from a 4500 mile trip pulling a 10,000 lb fifth wheel and it ran like a dream the whole trip. 50 miles from home I blew off a turbo hose climbing a long steep hill and I learned the value of the turbo instantly. The power dropped off to the point where I was in low gear to top the hill, where I usually fly up it in 3rd. It took about 3 minutes to put the hose back on and tighten the clamp but it was an interesting experience. Overall, I love the truck, but have you checked out the Duramax? If I were in the market today I'd check it out. Ken
  • Options
    bp53bp53 Member Posts: 23
    Did you check your fuel mileage on your trip? Iwas wondering if the Cummins or Duramax gets better fuel mileage. That would be a factor in my decision.
  • Options
    hallb4x4hallb4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I don't own one but a buddy of mine does and man I wish I did have one. 310hp and 520ft/lbs no cummins can touch it even with a banks kit. Gas milages is about 17 on the highway with the Allison five speed auto. This is a very surprising truck with loads of power.
  • Options
    bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Hall,
    Here are the dyno test from truck trend:
    Ford PowerStroke: SAE HP-235 Rear wheel tested HP 240 SAE Torque 500 Rear wheel tested torque 552
    Chevy Duramax: SAE HP 300 Rear wheel tested HP 245 SAE Torque 502 Rear wheel tested Torque 490
    Dodge Cummings SAE HP 245 Rear wheel HP 180 SAE Torque 505 Rear wheel Torque 604
    Truck Trend December 2000

Personally, i just love the pull of torque so id get a cummings if they had a crew cab.
  • Options
    mryfamryfa Member Posts: 1
    i AM LOOKING AT PURCHASING A 1996 DODGE 4X4 WITH A CUMMINGS AND 140K ON IT. COULD SOME OF YOU GIVE ME ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR AS FAR AS PROBLEMS THAT THEY HAVE EXPERIENCED WITH THIS MODEL. I HEARD THAT DODGE HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE DESIGN OF THE RAM AND THE CUMMINGS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL THE DEALER IS ASKING 13999
  • Options
    warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    bp53 - I average about 19 mpg empty and was getting about 13 pulling the trailer until the hose blew off. by the time I could fix that my mileage for that tank was well out of that range.
    bigfur and mryfa - There is no G in Cummins.
  • Options
    2t1a2t1a Member Posts: 7
    I have heard that the mechanical Cummins could get as high as mid 20's (2wd, empty, coworker who owned one claimed 27, but that seems high), while my parents (2wd, 5spd manual, 4.11) have seen as high as 22 unloaded (usually around 20.5) and as low as 12 (crosswind, 30' trailer, zero degrees, and 70 mph).
    Similar Powerstrokes seem to get a couple mpg less, from what I've heard (17-19 unloaded).
This discussion has been closed.