Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blackhog1blackhog1 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend owns a 1995 JGC Limited V8. When opening the driver's door, it drops about a quarter of an inch. A mechanic told me that the hinges on the Jeeps go out after a while (?!?) and the only fix is to cut off the old ones and weld on new ones. Has anybody had this problem? Are there any other fixes out there?
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    The 1997 GC doesn't have a belt, uses a timing chain. Change it at 150K miles if you want or whenever after that it wears enough to jump a tooth. Sounds like you found an honest garage; might want to go back to them.
    -- Don
  • randyrhodesrandyrhodes Member Posts: 54
    My wife's Nissan did that because the lower hinge was bent due to the weight of the door.We fixed it by unbolting the lower hinge from the door and adding a thick washer between the hinge and the door to act as a spacer and that fixed the problem. I hope this helps you.
    Randy
  • carlysuecarlysue Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 GC and have experienced similar problems. We have the extended warranty, and have had several complaints on the rear wiper.
    The first time they thought a connector was the culprit causing an intermittent problem. The second time they replaced the switch pad at the dashboard. The third time they replaced the wiper motor. It's only been a week since this repair. I'm hoping this will cure the problem.

#2.I am having thoughts that perhaps the wiper motor was not built to take the jarring when the tailgate is closed, as that was our temporary fix until we could get it to the dealer. I say this only because the solenoid for the tailgate lock has also failed. The first time the mechanic just repaired it when he found that several rivets holding it together had pulled loose. Since, though the solenoid seemed to be working, intermittently, we could not lock or unlock the tailgate using the key. We had lubricated the mechanism as well as did the dealer which did not solve the problem. This solenoid was also subsequently replaced at the same time as the wiper motor. We think we will about break even on our extended warranty; however overall, we are generally pleased with our 95 GC.
  • jackojacko Member Posts: 6
    I've found the problem to be a loose wire at the plug to the wiper motor. I found it by pulling on each wire to see what happens when the wiper was on, and bingo, it would cut the wiper off and on. Put a tooth pick to jam it tight and electrical tape to hold it in place, works just fine. Dealer guys just replace parts, they don't use their brain and common sense. It was the main power supply wire, it was red or pink, don't remember, but it was the top of the plug.
  • y2kmaddy2kmadd Member Posts: 5
    Using the spare will extend the life of the tires and you will need to buy a set later than if you rotated only 4 wheels. Personally, I don't. I want a perfectly good spare when I may need it. Make sure they rotate the tires correctly. The front two go to the opposite rear wheel (x pattern) and the rear move to the front ones on the same side.
  • mtbdcdmtbdcd Member Posts: 4
    I have 36,000 miles and the dealer says it is worn and needing replaced. Plus he says the carbon on the throttle body needs to be cleaned out. The belt does not look very worn to me. What is the normal life of these belts on this vehicle? Also, any opinions on cleaning carbon out of throttle body? Thanks
  • y2kmaddy2kmadd Member Posts: 5
    If you still have the problem take it back when it starts to make that noise again and ask the service dept. to look a Technical Service Bulletin #190600 Dated Sep 2000 (NHTSA #SB6092237). This relates to "Steering Gear Honk on Turns". It was written for the 1999 JGC but it may be the same problem. I don't have any other details on the report. Good Luck.
  • nuyawkrnuyawkr Member Posts: 13
    I've owned my '01 JGC 2WD with V8 for seven months now and have accumulated 8,000 miles. All trouble free. I'm an avid cyclist and love the room in back, especially with the seats down as I can carry my bike without removing the wheels. I've experienced absolutely no problems, although I am conscious of the rotor problems and I'm carefully watching out for this since I recently had my first tire rotation. I love the seats, the leather certainly felt like the cushions were more supportive than the fabric ones. The motor is extremely powerful and I'm never in need for any more power. The gas mileage, around town averages between 14-15. The truck is nimble around town and I certainly prefer it over my old 4wd Ford 150 pickup when it comes to turning radius and finding tight parking. Things that were all very important to me, convenience, power and comfort have all been matched with my JGC and I can personally recommend the two wheel drive version.
  • kkuligkkulig Member Posts: 150
    I've owned 3 JGC's so far, a 93, 98 (went back under WI's lemon law) and currently, a 99. Loved all 3, despite some problems and annoyances, which all vehicles seem to have today.

I've had the warped rotor problem on all of them. DC vehicles in my opinion have always had poor disc brake rotors since their inception back in the 60's. Fortunately for me, my dealer has replaced my rotors when they warped on my 98 and 99. I would definitely insist upon this with your dealer.

Many vehicles today have this problem, not just the JGC. In an effort to reduce cost, rotors today are made from cheaper materials and more susceptable to damage from heat build-up. We all know this and it's not rocket science. It's an unfortunate part of life today that a lot of us are forced to live with.

Keep in mind that even if your dealer is willing to replace your warped rotors, you're only starting the same problem all over from the beginning. MOPAR replacement rotors come from the same supplier as the OEM rotors, so the dealer's MOPAR replacement rotors are no better than the originals. They too will warp in a few thousand miles and your dealer may not be willing to replace them a second time around.

Let the dealer replace them if they're willing to. But when you fry these, don't waste your time going back to the dealer. Find a reputable service center (or do it yourself) and have the rotors replaced with any decent aftermarket brand that you can get from a local automotive parts supplier (like NAPA or Midas).

My 93 had warped rotors from day one. On this vehicle, my dealer would only turn them (what a joke). After the problem returned, I had them replaced for under $100 a pair (remember, the 93's had drums in the rear) by a friend who owns a service station (remember these?). Never had another problem with the rotors in the remaining 80K miles I drove it.

I see a lot of people here advising you to spend upwards of $1000 to buy these fancy, hi-tech aftermarket rotors that probably work no better than a decent set of "no-name" rotors do. That's absolutely senseless advice, but hey, it's your money and you can do what you want with it.

Now, here's a couple of real annoyances that I've experienced on all 3 of my JGC's, but yet I've never heard anyone else complain about these. Anybody else live with this or have any suggestions on how to correct?...

Everytime I get in the draft zone behind a big truck, or have to drive in a crosswind of 20 mph or so, all 3 of my JGC's have been tossed around like a rag doll. Never in my life have I owned/driven a vehicle that's had such P-poor lateral (side-to-side) suspension stability and control.

A commute to or from work is physically tiring, not to mention scary at times because I just don't know what direction my vehicle is going to want to throw itself under those conditions. Man, if a cop was following me, he'd probably think I was driving drunk. I don't see this happening to any other vehicles in the traffic I'm flowing with at the time.

It's unbelievable how much I have to keep my steering wheel turned into the crosswind just to keep it in my lane. And man, when the wind lets up, I better be awake enough to react because the vehicle will instantly veer hard in the direction I'm turning the wheel.

For the record, my 93 had the Up-Country Suspension and handled the best of the 3. My 98 handled the worst, the 99 marginally better than the 98. How do your JGC's handle under these conditions?

The other annoyance is the P-poor low beam headlamp illumination on my 99 (my 93 and 98 were great). I remember DC bragging in the 99 brochure about how the new headlight design improved low beam illumination by 30-40 feet over the 98's. What a joke. The low beams on my 99 hardly illuminate the road out to 30-40 feet! No complaints with the high beams on.

You can really see the difference by walking around and looking at them from the front... the low beams just aren't as bright as what you see on almost all other oncoming cars. Yes, I've had the aim checked and they're "okay" according to the dealer. I usually run with the fog lamps on too (what little light they throw) to get a few extra candlepower.

We are infested with deer where I live and night driving is a real adventure, even with great headlamps. Anybody else out here have similar complaints? Any suggestions for a low beam lamp replacement that will throw better light without having every car you meet flash his lights at you.

Thanks for your input!
  • g159g159 Member Posts: 23
    My belt was replaced at 50K miles. I would go ahead. It is cheap insurance. If the car is running fine, I don;t know if it needs that tb cleaning.
  • mtbdcdmtbdcd Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information.
    Do you remember what it cost you to have the serpentine belt replaced, i.e. if you had it done at the dealer?
  • impactgcimpactgc Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1996 Jeep Ch. after a couple of years, the door hinges came off the drivers door. I had a Jeep dealer look at the vechile, do you want to know what they said, well we can't fix that, it is not under warrenty since you went over your mileage.. Well then I called the corp office, with no answer.. SORRY YOU ARE NOT UNDER WARRENTY, so! Unless I wanted to pay for it, which I wasn't about to do.. They said it was wear and tear and thats all, like I was hanging on the doors, while driving!! Soon after the passager side door, came off.. Well I broke my lease and gave them the car back!!

Well thanks for hearing my story!!!
    Had it done at Goodyear dealership just because I was there for a oil change/tire rotation and they mentioned it. Seemed like the belt was kind of pricey maybe 35 dollars and probably 20-25 for installation. Just call some local places or the dealership. Good luck
  • cjfecjfe Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (120K miles) message center informs me that I should "Service the 4WD switch". Two Chrysler dealers didn't know what it meant and assured me that there was nothing wrong. The third agreed that the 4WD switch was bad and should be replaced. $300 and two visits later I drove out with a new 4WD switch. No difference - the message center still insists I should service the switch. Another visit to check for bad wiring - all OK. The dealer thinks I am nuts but has offered to replace the computer and wiring harness!

The message persists. It's random, not associated with time, temperature, road surface, or any maneuvering. The wheel lights on the display go out when the problem occurs and come back on randomly. The warning beeping is really annoying

Does anyone know what this switch does? Can I short out the connection?
  • gator71gator71 Member Posts: 8
    Hello everyone,

I have a strange question about my 02' JGC that I just filled up with gas since taking delivery from the dealer. I noticed that when I took the gas cap off....there wasn't a little metal flap that prevents someone from putting something in your gas tank. Is this normal for this vehicle? All of my past vehicles have had this little hinged flap over the pipe that leads to the fuel tank.
  • djr7399djr7399 Member Posts: 24
    cjfe;

I also have the same problem on my 93 JGC, it is annoying as you know what, I have been driving with that beeping sound for almost 30,000 miles, dealer couldn't figure out what it was either, so if anyone has a fix please let us know, by the way, I just turn the radio up to block out the noise.

I am trying to figure out my rough idle problem had a tuneup done, found out that wasn't the problem, was told one of my injectors were out, said I need to replace the PCM computer, sounds strange to me. I have 203,000miles on this baby, yes that's right 203k on the I6 engine.

still rolling.

dj
  • ejones31ejones31 Member Posts: 12
    I am very interested in purchasing a new GC. Would I be making a mistake. Love the midside Jeep and the price is great. But I read so much negative things on this board about the vehicle.
  • max69max69 Member Posts: 1
    Last Spring I bought a new 2001 4WD V8 which now has over 8,000 miles and have had no problems. Love the vehicle. Get better than 17mpg in city traffic and 19mpg on Interstates here in the soutwest at 75+ mph. Passed on my 94 4WD V8 GJC with 120,000 mi to my daughter and son-in-law. It was the most trouble-free vehicle I've owned in 45 years of driving.

Brake rotors are often mentioned as a problem. The ones on my '94 became warped at 40,000 mi (common on today's vehicles of all makes). I replaced them with low-cost units from NAPA - they now have 80,000+ miles with no problems. Use low cost organic disc pads for long life and elimination of pad dust problems on the wheels.
  • hl65hl65 Member Posts: 1
    Upon cold weather startup my JGC '94 w/4.0, 114K, 5spd, makes a sound like birds chirping coming from front right side of motor, as heard from drivers seat. This continues until motor is warm. Any ideas?
  • rivergirlrivergirl Member Posts: 8
    I have a 96 JGC that needed a new transmission at 100K ($1300) and at exactly 107K the engine light came on. Took it to a dealership that said for a mere $3100 they could fix the engine light problem and all the other problems they saw. The service rep was kind enough to suggest that I just go ahead and "buy a new Jeep!" since our repairs were so high. We took it to a different mechanic who can fix the engine light problem for $320 and then we're selling this thing as fast as we can. We were hoping to get 150K miles on this car but the chances of it falling apart any day now are too high. I'm going with the Highlander or VW Passat Wagon and I'm taking a break from American cars for awhile.
  • jwrennjwrenn Member Posts: 3
    I, like you, read all the negatives but my mind was made up. I purchased a GC Larado 4wd I6 on Dec 15th. I never even test drove one! A 4.0L pushing 4000lbs--not real spunky but O K. The ride is a little jiggley. Like real heavy-duty springs trying to be controlled by the shocks. Sticker says mine was made in Detroit--thought all Jeep Ops were in Toledo. I'm at 400 miles so can't report on reliability!!

Regards, Jack Wrenn
  • slbilcheckslbilcheck Member Posts: 1
    I read the discussion on #90 regarding the gas gauge that works when it feels like it...does anyone know the cure to this problem?
    Thanks,
    Serge
    Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee were made in Toledo. Jeep Grand Cherokee was produced in a brand new 1993 plant in Detroit, the Jefferson plant. Don't know about the Liberty.
  • jackojacko Member Posts: 6
    Head lights turn off when in manual mode, work OK in the auto mode. They tend to turn off in the first minute or two, turn them to auto and they stay on. Later when I put them on manual they will stay on. I've noticed that someone posted a similar problem while back, but have not seen a solution, would appreciate the fix, car has 38,000 and it did have a bunch of typical JGC problems.
    Thanks.
  • hvonerthvonert Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Grand Cherokee V8 and don't like the choppy ride. I had a 1996 and it was smoother. I know the thing has a short wheelbase, but is there anything that I can change to improve the ride? I do not have the bigger tires offered as an option.
  • jwrennjwrenn Member Posts: 3
    I'm going to watch this along with you as I have an 02 I6 Larado with 245 tires and a choppy ride. I read a few posts back of a couple of folks replacing their OEM shocks with Edelbrock IAS shocks.

Jack
  • garmusgarmus Member Posts: 4
    (1) JGC Overland
    (2) Cadillac Escalade
    (3) Lexus RX 300
    (4) Lexus LX 470
    (5) Keep my 1998 LX 470 and await release of Lexus GX470 later this year.
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    I have a '00 GCL V8 and my daytime driving headlights (Canadian model?) flickers when the vehicle is idling with low rpm. It happens any time of the day but some days it never happens whether light switch is in auto or manual ( I hope this doesn't happen when the vehicle is running !! Dealer can't find any problem and not able to simulate the problem. Any one out there have the same problem?....
  • dorothyaverydorothyavery Member Posts: 1
    Hi All Grand Cherokee owners

My husband and I purchased a Grand Cherokee Laredo in August 2000. My good looking Grand Cherokee is in the shop less than 24 hours after we brought it home. The horn did not work. After 3400 miles we had our first set of brakes and roters replaced. We have had 2 sets of brakes and roters placed on our Laredo within a time frame of 15000 miles. In between, the cars' steering wheel makes this terrible sound when you turn and back up. Brought in for them to fix...no problem. Still does it - no time or reason. Then we called AAA after the car wouldn't start in the parking lot of our local supermarket. It did that 3 times in one week. Our dealer couldn't find anything wrong but Chrysler sent them some kind of mother board or whatever and reprogrammed the car. The dealer had our car for approximately 9 days.

We started complaining to the dealer immediately after the horn incident. After the 2nd set of brakes and roters he said Chrysler (corporate) would call. No call. The 3rd time we advised that this car is "A Lemon" and would report our problems to the appropriate parties to bring action against them for a new car. That was 10 days ago. My husband spoke to some arrogant District Serv Mgr who advised "The car doesn't meet the Chrysler Criteria for the Lemon Law". Why are we concerned, they've taken care of the problem under warranty. I then called this charming gentleman every 20 minutes for a day and a half until he returned my call. He was totalling obnoxious. We are still waiting to hear from his boss, who has not called our dealer back. Oh, this charming District Serv Mgr refused to give me his supervisor's name and wouldn't answer one simple question Does he actually expect me to believe that 3 sets of brakes and roters is normal for any automobile? Talk about being frustrated.....I've called the dealer every day since Friday, Jan. 11, 2002 and will continue to do so until someone takes this piece of crap back. $35,000.00 and I'm ready to drive this beautiful looking car right thru the dealers showroom. I've started looking for another car.

I thought we were all alone until I talked to my hair stylist who has a '99 Grand Cherokee with 18000 miles and 4 sets of brakes and roters and 3 starters. When I came home from work tonite I checked Edmund's and found all of you.

Something should be done. Chrysler shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. Obviously, there is a very big flaw in their brake system and to date they can't be bothered with finding out what the problem truly is.
  • romankoromanko Member Posts: 1
    It seems Jeeps are either real good, or real bad.

Mine -- 8 brake jobs in 29000 miles, 2 steering columns, 2 pitman arm to steering links. No response from Chrysler via phone, mail, or e-mail.

After my last repair, my dealer suggested that I get aftermarket rotors that are slotted and drilled because the factory units are junk. They also suggested I by new tires because my factory units are slightly out of round. My expense on both.

I've called the national service numbers. Stonewalled. Filed through NCDS, Chrysler wayout of becoming a Better Business Bureau member (need to be a repectible company to be a member). The NCDS is a sham. I won my claim. The NCDS was going to make Chrysler take my Jeep back in on a trade in, (for less than market value).

If you've got a good Jeep, enjoy it. If your is trouble some, skip the Chyrsler Arbitration (merely a delaying tactic), and either file with under your state lemon laws (which is cheap and fairly easy) or find a consumer law lawyer who knows how to win a case under the Magneson Moss act which will take more time and money up front, but a bigger refund if you win. A bennie -- Chrysler pays for all court cost if they lose, including your lawyer.

No I'm not a lawyer, but I have retained one.

For a good laugh, take a look at their Web Page - They declare they are striving to make the best designed, best built vehicles possible. LOL Yeah Right.

I've started looking for a Toyota.
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    We had a 99 limited with the upcountry suspension and now we have a 2002 without--what a difference! the 02 is a much smoother ride than our 99----we loved the 99--had no problems at all and so far so good on the 2002.
  • minamipminamip Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know how long the bearings in a 97 GCL should last? I've got 61K on it and the I took it into the dealer (mistake?) for a humming noise in the back. They said the rear bearings were going out and need to be replaced ($850). After replacing and taking for a test drive, the mechanic said there was a noise coming from the front (masked by the noise in the back). The mechanic says that the front bearings are almost as bad ($740) AND that the exhaust manifold is cracked ($950). Am I getting ripped off or is it possible that all these problems could come up at the same time and it's just standard wear-and-tear. Thanks, -Phil
    That is a mountain of money they want from you. Maybe they should take the Jeep as trade for the work they plan to do. I mean I think at 60K miles one may be going out, but for multiple...Plus I don't really think it would be masked by the front or back. Go to another mechanic. How long has the noise gone on? Did you bring it in for those problems?
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    12000 miles on my jgc v8 and no signs of rotor problems whatsoever. the only thing i have had to take the jgc into service for was a faulty fuil pump and a blown out tweeter(just love the stereo so much, but i got to learn to turn it down.) i dont know, but maybe you rotor problem people just ride your breaks to hard. its an suv, not a sports car.
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    Here's a new web page with tons of info on the WJ series Grand Cherokees (1999-2002)

http://www.wjjeeps.com
  • 3rdgcl3rdgcl Member Posts: 1
    Besides the warped rotors problem many people seem to have with JGC's I also have a problem with the drivers seat. After only 9500 miles on an '01 GCL the drivers side seat springs seem already to be worn out. I'm a 220 pounder but really... my '97 and '99 GCL didn't seem to have this problem. Several people that have driven my GCL say..."what wrong with your seat."
    Anybody else having this problem?????
  • bkitchenbkitchen Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I am considering buying a new 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 6 cyl, auto transmission. I've read where earlier years were plagued by warped rotors, drive train/transmission problems and power window problems. Have these issues been addressed in the 2002 Grand Cherokees ?? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks
  • brothwellbrothwell Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my driver's side seat also squeaks as I get in the car. Sounds like the springs are weak. Also, the vinyl on the side of the seat is cracking. The seat belt is hard to disengage when getting out of the car.

I have another list of options, but it would take to long to go through.

I have had 5 jeeps now and this will be the last.
  • davenj1davenj1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 JGC Laredo with 42K miles. Despite the many horror stories I have read on this board, we have had no problems except for the brake rotors. I had warped rotors replaced after about 30K although we drove around with them for a while before getting them fixed. I paid for them under protest. I have driven many vehicles for over 35 years and never had this problem. Now about 10 -12 K mile later they are warped again. I plan to make a serious protest this time and will not take no for an answer re: not being charged for their replacement. My wife drives the vehicle in a normal manner. This is ridiculous. I now am reading that many of you have the same problem, even more frequently. How frequent is this problem? Has Chrysler or your dealerships picked up the cost for this? By the way, I purchased a 100K mile extended warranty because of the many problems I have heard about, but the rotors are not covered.
  • fanman8fanman8 Member Posts: 65
    I own a 98 JGC and now with 34,000 miles on it. At 29,000 the brakes would pulse when depressed and I was told that it was the brake rotors that needed to be replaced. At 24,000 miles the rear differential had to be replaced because the whine was so loud it was an embarrasement to drive. Well, the vehicle now has the whine coming back and I will probably have to have it replaced again before long. At 31,000 miles the gas tank told me I had more than a 1/4 tank of gas but ran out and had to be towed to the dealership. Sending unit had to be replaced. This has been the first Chrysler product I have owned and you can bet it will be my last. I gave it to my wife to drive until the extended warranty expires as she wanted it. I have never owned a vehicle with so many problems with so few miles on it. I am driving A Toyota Sequoia now. It would appear to me now that I was dreaming when I was told that the domestics have caught up to the imports in terms of quality, fit and finish. Maybe G.M. has come closer, perhaps Ford to a lesser degree, but Chrysler has not gotten its act together IMO and needs a good kick in the pants class action lawsuit.
  • buckeye13buckeye13 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I purchased a '99 JGC Limited as our first family car. Being an Engineer I bought into the marketing of the car as "The most capable off-road SUV". I mistakenly thought this suggested a rugged and reliable vehicle. Like many who have posted here I love the car when it is working, but my patience has worn thin. The biggest problem occurred when my wife was 9 months pregnant. The car stalled in the middle of a construction zone on the highway. The dealership spent the next several days replacing the fuel pump, injectors, CPU, catalytic converter, crank sensor, etc. I actually had to take my wife to the hospital in a borrowed car for the birth of our son.

Since then things have only gone down hill. Broken rear wiper, broken center console, bump-shift, warped rotors and all before 36k miles. Now the real fun has set in. The driver exterior mirror is broken, heated driver seat broken, bad front wheel bearings, and bad rotors. BTW, the heated driver seat cost $1200 dollars to repair so be judicious with its use. Disgusted with my car I worked as best I could with the local dealership and DC customer advocacy group but no one was coming to my help. (BTW, the original dealership went belly up so I had no one on my side) As an Engineer I know those wheel bearings should not have gone bad before 50k miles. I wasn't looking for a free ride just some consideration. As a last attempt I wrote to Mr. Jurgen E Schrempp (CEO of DC) asking for someone to give my case a fair review. I received a letter from DC stating that "After thoroughly reviewing your request and our file on this matter, we respectfully concur with the decision rendered by our Senior Staff...We are sorry we cannot provide a more favorable reply". My first question to Chrysler would be what was the decision the Senior Staff made? I have never been given a straight answer as to why someone has not evaluated the problem beyond the local repair shop. In my mind this letter demonstrates the arrogance this company has for the customers trying to be loyal. This letter came from the top and demonstrates the philosophy DC is applying to its customers.

My recommendations to those of you looking for a Jeep, it may kill you do to this after a good test drive experience, but walk away or plan on spending several thousand dollars on repairs you never considered likely. For those of you under warranty, buy the extended warranty. I did a cost/benefit analysis before mine expired but I never accounted for the cost or nature of repairs I am experiencing. ($1200 for a heated seat repair)

I have tried to be a loyal customer but I will not return to the DC brand until the bad taste in my mouth is gone. I can't place my trust in a company that treats its customers this way.
  • jmark3jmark3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 JGC. My rear wiper has been a problem since I bought this vehicle 6 months ago. At first it would not park properly and would stay on the rear window not allowing you to open the lift glass. This was an intermittent problem which I was learning to live with, but now the wiper blade lifts off the glass completely on the return stroke and stays lifted!
    My other problem is the horn does not sound very loud and I have to repeatedly press around the steering wheel to find a spot where it works at all. Any ideas on either of these problems?
  • akroegerakroeger Member Posts: 16
    I just bought my 02 GC Laredo 32 days and 1140 miles ago and got it back from the dealer today after finding the pinion seal on the rear differential leaking. Has anyone else had problems with this seal?

I'm hoping this isn't an indicator of things to come. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good dealer service department in the Sacramento, CA area? It's still not too late for me to buy that extended warranty....
  • nick327nick327 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. My 97 JGC has been having this engine problem in the past 3 months. The 4th cylinder is misfiring everytime the rpm went over 3000. The service dept. of the dealership has replaced the spark plugs many times but i'm still having the same problem. They couldn't find the cause of the problem,now it's happening very often. If any of you has the same experience and was able to fix it please let me know.Thanks.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    Wow, so many problems with the Grand Cherokee. Seems like those without problems are the anomaly. Lexus RX-300 has no forum for problems...hmmmmm.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Did the Grand Cherokee replace the Grand Wagoneer?

When did they make the last (Grand?) Wagoneer?

I saw one last night, and really, really like the styling. I also like the size and bulk and useful space.

What motors did these come with?
  • sobe1sobe1 Member Posts: 1
    With all the discussions about transmission problems, has there been any comparison between the 4 speed transmission in the 6 cyl. and the 5 speed in the 8 cyl.?
  • bluesun99bluesun99 Member Posts: 16
    What you describe just happened to me the first of this month. At 65mph I went over an expansion strip on a bridge and the entire front end began to shake violently. The steering wheel whipped left to right and I almost lost control. I hit the brakes and slowed immediately but the shaking continued until about 30mph. I got off the highway onto an access road where I could drive slower. Nursed it to the dealer that p.m. They replaced the steering dampener and did a alignment. No problems since. This problem could cause a accident and should thoroughly looked into
    I have a 97GC Larado 6cly UpCountry 4WD.
  • smithbesmithbe Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone has had any noticeable steering problems. The JGC we purchased seems to "wander". Makes one tend to over correct. We ended up driving a friends 2001 and theirs was not as prevalent but was somewhat noticeable. We ended up taking it back to the dealer, they drove it and stated that nothing was wrong. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you fix it short of taking it back over and over and lemon law it?