Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rt1rt1 Member Posts: 1
    After the dealer flushed and reprogram the computer. Does the problem persisted? I have the same problem and the dealer told me it's the manufacture problem and it's the first year intro.
  • jkramjkram Member Posts: 17
    Mine is still at the dealer for the hesitation problem. Let us know please if anyone gets it cured, and will post if mine gets cured. I wish someone from Chrysler would see these posts and reply with some sort of explanation. They spend millions on advertising. They need to spend some to keep us owners happy.
  • irish2irish2 Member Posts: 1
    Have you recently put in a new head unit...I did and I am experiencing the exact same problems...I suggest checking your head unit... There are two wires that go into the left side of the stock head unit and if the wires are touching the car will run for two seconds and then shut off... right now my car is running fine ... now i just need to fix the guages on it ... I let you know when i fix it
  • pitbull78133pitbull78133 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee 4.0 4x4 with 165,000 miles on it. I recently discovered that on long road trips there is an inherint electrical problem. We went on a road trip from Texas to Colorado. When we reached colorado, driving straight through I noticed that only the drivers side front and rear power locks and windows were functioning, and the key fob for the power locks was not functioning. I checked fuses and relays and found nothing wrong. It sat for a day and began to work the next, we drove around a bit and all of a sudden the locks unlocked, and locked several times while driving. Then all the gages went dead and the air bag light came on then the gages started working again. It did this the whole time we were in colorado, intermittantly. When we got back to Texas, the problem stopped. 2 months later, we went on a trip to the coast, about 3 hours away. No problems on the way down, on the way back, the locks started locking and unlocking again, and the prob with the power locks and windows were back. Whatever is malfunctioning, it only does it on long road trips, anyone have any ideas what to check?
  • dylankdylank Member Posts: 1
    The car is very clean and drives nice. I read before some problems with the rotors and they seem to be OK. Is this a good buy or am I going to start running into problems and have to dish out more money to keep it running. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the buying tips and appraisal tool on our Used Cars page while waiting for responses.

Steve, Host
  • charjonescharjones Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 jeep cherokee, In the pass 2 weeks my engine light has came on continously.... I put oil in it going on some advice and it was fine. Today, I had the same problem and a small change in driving performance, like hesitation....
    I went to autozone to get diagnostic and my alpha p codes were 463, 700, and 753. The first code referenced fuel level sending unit defective, check connector & wiring. Their book did not go up into the 700s. Can anyone help? One was the pcm has received a signal to turn on the malfunction indicator lamp from the transmission control system(refer to transmission repair manual. The other said the pcm has detected a short to ground, a short to battery, or an open circuit condition in the electrical circuit for shift solenoid "a". Please advise me..
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Boy, those codes seem pretty vague. It might cost you a few bucks but a Chrysler dealership could give you more accurate information. It might be worth an hour's worth of labor cost to avoid chasing the MIL with various different parts.
  • charjonescharjones Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your message. I am on my way as we speak. I will let you know what happens. :)
  • mamabear2mamabear2 Member Posts: 1
    I am in need of some information, my jeep grand cherokee is a 1995 and it has a very loud clicking sound when I am turning corners it comes from the front. Also it slips out of gear and has a hard time shifting gears when it is cold outside.
  • snyderlgsnyderlg Member Posts: 2
    I am at my wits end with this problem. I bought a 2001 jgc limited back in aug, WITH the extened warranty. The problem im having is the a/c does not blow cold, and when running the a/c, the heater all the sudden comes on. took it to the jeep dealer in ontario ca, and after the 'run-around' they told me that this is NOT a covered repair and it would cost 1300.00 to fix......I almost fell-over......Why is DC playing this game, They know there is a problem and they are ignorning it, Does anyone have a fix to this problem, I'm ready to give it back to them.....any help would be great
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, stutters, bucks, hesitates, just don't run right. This Jeep has a problem no one can fix! If anyone can help me please post. I see many people with the same problem, if you get it fixed help the rest of us. Anyone respond? Is it engine, transmission, transfercase, differential?
    Bad gas?
    What does the dealer say? They should be able to hook it up and pull any DTCs to see what is happening.

Edit: Sorry, just checked out your other posts. It appears the dealer doesn't have a clue. How about trying a different dealer?
  • vjtvjt Member Posts: 6
    You might want to go to Forum, Maintenance and Repairs message board, Engine Hesitation, for a discussion of similar problems. VJT
    I looked around and I don't see a special forum for problems like this. But there are plenty of posts about this on this forum. I did Google and Yahoo searches and this is where I get sent. Honestly I would rather be driving the 2005 Jeep than typing about how badly it runs.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the Engine Hesitation (All makes/models) link. Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • stanul31088stanul31088 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo yesterday with 100,000 miles on it...this is my first jeep and everything seems to be running nicely. However when i make some sharp turns and when i am parallel parking i hear a "crack" noise, it sounds like a metalic crack and it happens fairly often, but only when i turn the wheel quite tight...does anyone know what this could be???
  • send_itsend_it Member Posts: 2
    Sure hope someone can help. I borrowed my stepfathers 95 Jeep Laredo. I went to open the hatch, the handle partially lifted then it felt like a piece of plastic gave. :cry: The real problem is how do I get the hatch open so that I can take off the rear door panel to see if I can fix or replace the handle or opening hardware??? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS, Diane
    That could be a lot of things: control arm bushings, tierods, steering stabilizer, control arm mounts, etc.
    I have a '98 that is lifted that will make a "creak" when I turn really sharp but I think that has more to do with the polyurethane bushings than anything else.
    I'd take it in to a garage or have a knowledgeable friend take a look to see what they find. It may be nothing, it may be a problem.
    By the way, I have over 168,000 miles on my '98 and she's still going strong.
  • clj1clj1 Member Posts: 2
    Char,
    Did you ever get your problem resolved? My friend just came from AAMCO, they gave him codes as well, told him he needed to have his transmission rebuilt for $3200, he's taking the jeep to Dealership for second opinion. His check engine light has come on a few times over the last few months, but goes off after a few hours...
    thanks!
    Wow, AAMCO told him he needed his transmission rebuilt. I didn't see that one coming...........
    Your friend is smart for getting a second opinion.
    Did the techs at AAMCO tell him what the codes were? That may point to why the MIL is coming on.
  • clj1clj1 Member Posts: 2
    I will definitely find out and get back to you...he's losing it over this one, was completely shocked!!
  • 02jeep02jeep Member Posts: 1
    Just was going to post a message and see what people thought about my Jeep. I got the jeep in December of 04. I have had to take it in once to get the sway bar bushings replaced. It has 69000 on it and i was just wondering if there is anything i need to look out for in the near future or if there is anything i should replace before it leads to a bigger problem.
  • vonspreckvonspreck Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with my 97 JGC Laredo. I've tried many of the same things and still had the problem come back. Really curious if anybody knows anything about this. :confuse:

thanks

vonspreck
  • jholtjholt Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1995 jgc and when i am going about 45-55 mph and let off the gas or apply the brakes i get a knocking, shaking, shimmy from the front end. I dont know what it is. i just had the tie-rod ends replaced but still have the same problem.
    Search back a few pages and you'll get some advice on the shimmy. The agreed upon MOST possible source is your steering stabilizer (a horizontally mounted shock absorber on your front axle). Steering stabilizers are cheap (around $40 or so) and pretty easy to replace. I'd start there.
    Diane,
    I looked at my jeep and I don't see how you can get to the latch except from outside the vehicle. Maybe you can get in there with a screwdriver or try to use what's left of the handle to get it to open.
    I can't see any other way of doing it.
  • flanniganflannigan Member Posts: 1
    My A/C recently stopped working. I don't think its a freon issue because it seems like it happened all at once (i.e., worked fine one day then stopped blowing out cold air). I had a number of fuses that needed to replaced and thought that might be the issue. However, I haven't been able to find the appropriate fuse. The car blows air out and when the A/C button is pushed its light comes on. However, the air temperature/flow doesn't change at all. Seems like some sort of switch isn't working or something. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
  • mstoverinkmstoverink Member Posts: 22
    It looks like several people have found a fix for this and I was wondering if anyone took any pictures of the the drain hose. I was able to find a picture of it in my Haynes manual, but the picture is taken from under the car looking up at the firewall and there are several things removed when the pic was taken. I can't find any view of that area of the firewall from the engin bay or under the car so if someone has a picture from inside the car it would be a big help. Also, I think/hope it's the same problem...mine is not leaking into the front passanger floor board, it's leaking out of the floor vent into the back passanger side floor board. I assume the problem is still that the same drain tube is clogged, but in my case maybe there is no crack or hole in it. I would just like to have a better idea of exactly what and where this hole needs to be drilled into to remove any blockages. Any help is greatly appreciated and if you have pictures please email them to me at mstoverink@hotmail.com or if you want to post them on the net please let me know where. Thanks.
  • pepster3pepster3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I bought by Jeep Grand Cherokee in Oct '04, and shortly after I noticed this. I thought it was nothing, but it continues.

When I'm on the highway, between 65-75MPH, I'll notice the Engine Revs suddenly drop by about 500RPM (from above 2K to below 2K). The vehicle seems quite sluggish and underpowered when this happens, and it doesn’t stop until I accelerate enough to upshift the transmission, or slow down to below around 60MPH. While it's in this RPM dip, the engine makes a noise like a low whine... It's difficult to describe. If the radio is on or the AC is on above medium, you won't hear it.

Recently it's been doing this more often, and I'm getting sick of it. I asked the dealer to take a look when I brought it in for regular maintenance, and they gave me some BS about the front bug deflector vibrating and making the noise. I usually cruise at around 68MPH on the highway, so this problem is a constant nuisance.

What can I Try/Check?
  • rogerdodgerrogerdodger Member Posts: 2
    If the firewall drain is clogged, water can rise in the box to the point where the next 'drain' is into the duct to the rear footwell. This is how I first discovered trouble in mine ('97 grand). The a/c drain is indeed into the frame, and I put a 3/4" hole into the top of the frame, about 4" fwd of the firewall, thru which can be manipulated a rod to [try to] clear the drain. Presently I have water appearing on the inside surface of the firewall, in vicinity of the drain, which is wetting the carpet and insulation. No real fix in sight short of teardown or putting an inspection hole/alternate drain on the inboard side of the evap.drain sump.
  • rogerdodgerrogerdodger Member Posts: 2
    um....that 4" dimension is not critical. more like wherever you can conveniently get a drill/holesaw and then pass a nearly-horizontal rod to the drain. 3"-4" is a fair range.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Check to see if your compressor clutch is engaging. The "inside" of the compressor pulley should turn as well as the outside when the A/C is turned on. If not, you are not getting current through the wires that connect right behind the pulley. Buying a manual is well worth it (around 15 dollars) when trying to track down electrical problems, but the clutch not engaging and thus not pumping freon is likely the end result of your problem.
  • enigma1960enigma1960 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Jeep CGL 2001. recently the memory module for the seat, mirrors and radio has become erratic!!

There are times when it ignores the the key fob unlock controller and stays set in the wrong driver mode.

Also, intermittantly, the set switch on the driver door does not operate to program the two driver positions, or the buttoms will work but in a haywire mode, ie you may press the set button only to have the seat change ot driver 1, then press the driver 1 button, only to have the seat change to driver 2 etc.

So basically the memory options are all over the place.

I have tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins in the vain hope of the memory repowering into a stable condition.... to no avail.

Am now at a loss as to where to go (besides the dealer) as cannot identify if there is an intermittant connection problem or is the memory module (CA$ 349.00) defective.

Any suggestions please???

Thanks
  • mdaddimdaddi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 JGC 4.0 with major overheating problems. It overheats when I put on the air conditioning. It also overheats in “stop and go” traffic… with the air-conditioning off.

I changed the thermostat. That did not solve the problem. I changed the water pump and that too did not solve the problem. I changed the rad and that did not solve the problem.

Recently I changed the head gasket but that too did not solve the problem.

I am driving around with it WITHOUT the thermostat and while it seems to be UNDERCOOLING- when I stop with the air-conditioning on, it starts to over heat, although not as quickly as before.

I am desperately seeking any advice as to WHAT could be the problem. Any advice appreciated.

HELP!!!!!
  • doctredoctre Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same problem :cry: . Mine is in a 96 JGC. Anyway photos of the fixes that all have provided could be shown? Love my JGC. It has 108,000 on it and runs like a little champ. Gets great gas mileage also. Just wish that the water would drain outside and not onto the passenger side floorboards (front and back). BTW - this is a great place to find answers for problems.....Doc
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    This may sound a little obvious, but are you sure there is nothing blocking the airflow through the radiator? A clogged A/C coil in front of the radiator could do this. Also, when you changed the water pump did you put new hoses on? Lower hoses usually have a wire coil inside that keeps them from collapsing from the suction of the water pump. Next time the Jeep is warmed up look underneath and make sure the hose is not collapsed. One last thought, how do you know it is overheating? Is it showing the symptoms of overheating or is that just what the gauge says? If it is just the gauge maybe the problem is the gauge!
  • 59tg59tg Member Posts: 1
    I have A 98 5.9 GC, the prob. is that when the jeep is cold it shifts kind of hard, and also late as the jeep warms up it tends not to shift at all "stuck in 1st". I have already replaced the VSS and the result is the same when the Jeep sits awhile it will shift, not the greatest but it will shift, as it warms up thought it won't shift at all.
    Could it be a problem with the PCM or maybe a solenoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • mdaddimdaddi Member Posts: 2
    Thanx xscout for the reply.

Last thing-first. When I changed the pump there was a spring in the bottom hose and I left it there. But I will check to make sure the hose is not collapsing when it's hot.

I will also check to make sure there is nothing blocking the rad.

In regard to the "clogged A/C coil" located in front of the rad that might be the cause. First time I am hearing about it and so I will definitely check it out.

Thanx very much for the advice and help. I'll tell you the results.
  • kaden4kaden4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 JGC Laredo, the same thing happened mid-summer to mine. I took it in to have it charged and they said they didn't see any leaks. It worked for about a month then same thing. I took it back in and they said it would cost about $300.00 because there was a small leak, and I needed a accumulator hose assembly because you can't buy just the hose. I may be incorrect about the part needed, it was last summer. But take it in to be serviced and checked for a leak. Also, I haven't had mine fixed yet, but I was at a wrecking yard looking for parts and talked to the owner about it, and he told me to make sure and not turn on the a/c button anymore while it is not working properly because that would cause further damage. ( not sure about that though) I have also noticed that the air in my vehicle seems warm and muggy when I have just the fan on even with the air to cool. I don't know how much help this will be.
  • garyg2garyg2 Member Posts: 1
    have same problem also have changed tps which i was told sometimes causes it but no change.Will shift out of low if i let up on gas. will also shift properly the first thing in morning or after sitting for a few hours. any help will be appreciated.
  • fmlmsbfmlmsb Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem....help??? My hatch won't open on 1996 jeep Grand Cherokee. Any suggestions at all??
  • matthewkennedymatthewkennedy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 10 disk CD changer in the back of the vehicle. It has been working fine until recently i put a CD in and on the radio said "ERR" so i switched the disk around to make sure that it wasn't that the CD was in the wrong way. Since then, I have tried several CDs and they all do the same thing. Has anyone had anything similar happen to their vehicles? If so, what did you do to correct the problem? Thanks, Matthew.
  • jeephemijeephemi Member Posts: 7
    I'm having the same problem with my GC hemi, it has been back to the dealer twice and they say it's normal, all the hemi's drive that way. I called Chrysler and they told me to take it to another dealership and have them contact Star. I think the problem is related to the computer programming and needs to be updated with a new program. It will be going to another dealership tomorrow and if it's not fixed I will start Lemon Law precedings. The vehicle curently has 1500 miles and is 2 months old. If anybody has had success in finding a cure to this problem or can suggest a good dealership in the MA area please let me know.
    Grasp the handle with both hands out by the edges and give it a sharp pull. Be careful though; you can break the handle. Try it with increasing force until you can get it to open.

Once open take some WD40 and spray the latch mechanism liberally. Pull and release the handle multiple times to work it in.

Spray some more WD40 in there and close the hatch. That should fix the problem.
  • haroldcharoldc Member Posts: 1
    Had same problem in 93 Grand Cherokee.

It is your transmision sensor. Little black job. Shuts car down when it thinks trans is out of wack. I could put my car into neutral, coast then restart or pump gas to get by. Then it finaly went bad. Had symptoms of bad battery.
    2005 jeep grand with hemi, stutters, bucks, vibrates.
    I am having the same problem and my dealer can't fix it. Jeep is sending someone out to look at it soon. In Methuen Mass. If you get yours fixed first I'll drive mine anywhere to get it fixed. I am close to thinking lemon law. More strength in numbers. Get a message to me I will back you. I am scared Jeep is going to say it is not bad enough or we never seen this before.
  • randalldbrandalldb Member Posts: 1
    Have a bear of a time removeing fan clutch on a 93 jeep grand cherokee laredo, V8

the fan clucth is attached to water pump pulley by a single large bolt. Ive tried the fan clutch removal tool , but water pump pulley just turns.
    need to get a clue if any one has one left me borrow it LOL
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Change the temperature sending unit if you haven't done so already.
  • 2000cherokee2000cherokee Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 grand cherokee has a problem with the dual a/c and heating. Driver side is cooling and heating correctly but the passenger side does not cool or heat when I adjust the temperature controls up or down. It stays the same tremperature. Is this a problem with 1 or 2 seperate items?Any estimate on cost for this piece?