Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gbognergbogner Member Posts: 6
    You might want to take a look at your steering stabilizer. The next thing to look at is the front wheel u-joints; pull the front wheels and rotate the hubs back a forth and watch the joints for excess play.
  • harsjeepharsjeep Member Posts: 5
    Well, I had posted on here before about my 95 JGC and problems I was having, but no one wanted to give me any insight on my problems,. so I sold it and bought a REAL Jeep. I bought a good old dependable 89 Jeep Cherokee Limited. the body is almost perfect and drive train as well, now it does have very hi mileage on her but boy o boy does she purr. I picked her up for 700 bux. and i like this more than my JGC.Sure the JGC has more modern technology and bells and whistles but....... that doesn't make a jeep a jeep. those are for yuppies. Lets face it the base cherokee has been around for years and the JGC hasn't been around for all that long. So bye bye to the basket case and hello to a REAL JEEP. :)
  • lv06lv06 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited that runs great and has almost 50k miles on it. A mechanic-friend of mine recommended that I have the transmission fluid changed (changed and have the pan pulled, etc) because he had worked on a JGC that had sucked the filter up into the pan. I have heard from so many people why you should or shouldn't change the transmission fluid. ?????
  • lv06lv06 Member Posts: 3
    You might want to take a look at the rotors on the Jeep. Even if it not techinically time to have them changed. I have heard on many other forums that JGCs tend to go through rotors like water....
  • asanteg43asanteg43 Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all. I have recently purchased a 2004 Grand cherokee. The problem that I am having is that when you reach a constant speed of say 65mph, the rpm gauge tends to flicker. It is almost like the car is trying to breathe. The techs at the dealership are saying that this is normal for this vehicle. I know otherwise. And at 32,000 miles I know that I should not be having this kind of problem. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
  • ellenm1ellenm1 Member Posts: 7
    I also have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, with 4WD, it has stalled on me 3 times in the last month, once at traffic light and two times as I was pulling into parking lots, I have complete electronic failure, lights, radio etc. took it to jeep dealer they found nothing, but service writer told me his friends parents had the same problem. The latest episode was today, I do not feel confident in this automobile, it has 15,000 miles I use it as my daily car and also a tow vehicle behind our RV, I will be bringing it back to dealership tomorrow, I am just wondering how universal a problem this is... If I do not get any satisfaction I will do everything in my power to get them to buy back the vehicle, we are the original owner, if I have power failure on interstate, it could be disastrous, it will start right back up in neutral though, no one should have to worry about their vehicle doing this, I do not have any leaks.
  • dagoods25dagoods25 Member Posts: 13
    Which engine do you have? 3.7, 4.7, or 5.7? I know this sounds silly, but do you think you could have accidently knocked the key with your knee? I did that once and the car lost complete power and I didn't even realize that I did anything.
  • asanteg43asanteg43 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 grand cherokee and when I go at a constant speed on the highway the rpm gauge flickers back and forth. The techs at the dealership told me that this is perfectly normal. I have higher end vehicles and I have never experienced this. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
  • dixiecrawlerdixiecrawler Member Posts: 89
    I don't know what is causing the problem you mention, but I can tell you that this is NOT perfectly normal! The techs that told you that are simply morons who are too lazy to troubleshoot the vehicle to find the problem.
    I have 4.7 V8, it did it again yesterday as i was pulling into a parking lot, I had washed it earlier in the day, it is now back at dealership, they are going to hook up satellite computer and have tech drive it, I am sure my knee did not hit key, I drive with the seat pretty far back, thanks for the tip though!!!!!When it shuts down it completely shuts down, radio, lights, steering etc. the radio would normally stay on until you open the door.
  • redh894redh894 Member Posts: 1
    1999 JGC tried to start and then went DEAD all the gauges started spinning around I mean completely around Tach, Speedometer,Gas,Temp,everything. battery went dead charged it and it will start now but will NOT ideal.. Can the memory be screwed up? HELP!
  • kaotikookaotikoo Member Posts: 1
    Three weeks ago I had my GC on service on a Jeep Dealer. The guy recommended I should replace the two front tires on cause they were worn out, I wasn't really ok with that, since my car has less than 18,ooo miles, but in the end I told them to go ahead and replace. After a week driving, I engaged the 4x4 on the Quadra Four, and this weird noise, like a metal to metal noise started on the front axle. The only way to make it stops, is to re-select the 2x4 and go on reverse for about 20 feet. I took to the dealer again, and now they recomended I should replace the 2 rear tires, because the diference on the radius of the front tires compared to the rear tires, are causing the noise. Now the funny thing is, the 2 front tires they replaced are not the same GoodYear tires I had on my Jeep, but a brand called Cooper. Now my question is, could my Goodyear rear tires that were in perfect condition, as the dealer said 3 weeks ago, be causing the noise on the front differential, or the noise is caused by these two "Cooper" tires the dealer replaced?

Thanks in advance
  • 82_jetta_diese82_jetta_diese Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have several wires in the harness (between the door and body) that are broken and several that have already been repaired and have broken again. It is time for a new harness.

My problem is I can't figure out how to disconnect the harness connector at the door. My Haynes manual doesn't show it. It must come apart but I can't see how.

Thanks - Brian
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    NONE of the tires on your Jeep are causing the noises from the differential. They are selling you a bunch of hogwash.
  • howie56howie56 Member Posts: 21
    Since reaching 4000 miles my engine has started surging and had the factory engineer check out my JEEP and he said that it was the computer program for the tourque converter and that is the way they (JEEP) have the program set up. It surges up to 300 RPM's All different speeds also . Any help out there with my problem ??? :mad:
  • jose54ukjose54uk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 JGC 4.7L V8. This was bought second hand with 60K miles. I took it to the beach on some sand at the weekend and become stuck in the sand with the rear wheels spinning. I switched it to Lo gear from all time 4x4 and still the back wheels were just kept spinning with no drive at all in the front wheels. The back wheels sunk so low into the sand that I had to be pulled out by a landcruiser!!. The guy that pulled me out said there was no four wheel drive and that the car is stuck in 2 wheel drive. Is this possible? What might be the problem? Have you experienced a similar problem? How did you solve it? Please help as I am a little worried about going on the sand again. By the way we live in Dubai and it is a little difficult to avoid sand here.
  • 1headlight1headlight Member Posts: 24
    I had a semi shoot a rock clean through my passenger side headlight lens. The other day I received a replacement lens that I had bought off *bay. My question is how does one remove and install the replacement one. This is the passenger side in front of the battery tray. I tried unscrewing the headlight adjustment screws but they will not come all the way out. I removed the bolt above the housing on the cowl as well. What am I missing? Do I have to go in from the back (remove the battery) and loosen some bolt or from the side (remove the marker lens or grill)? I noticed there is a larger rectangular tab which holds the upper outside adjustment screw somehow plus a couple of other smaller round tabs, one of which appears to be the lower inside screw adjustment holder? Also let me know if any bolts require a torx headed tool. Any links on the web to describe this procedure.

Any JGC body and trim gurus out there! Help

Gracias,

Rob
  • revdcbrevdcb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Jeep Gramd Cherokee, the heater vent doors do not move causing me to have heat all the time I am having a very hard time finding any imformation on this system. Can anyone throw me a bone?
  • mom3kidsmom3kids Member Posts: 2
    trans problem by mom3kids Apr 24, 2006 (7:06 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    im going crazy!i have a 96 grand cherokee the trans was rebuilt. but i have to keep bring it back due to,the gears shifting in and out while driving. then after a week the trans will overheat!HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM
  • bretrussellbretrussell Member Posts: 4
    I have done this before, but it was a while ago so I'll tell you what I can remember. First you have to take off the grill, it's really easy there is just three or four phillips head screws holding it on. They are located towards the top of the grill pointing in at the engine(this just makes it easier to pry on the headlight lens later). Second remove the corner signal light. There is a screw where the hood meets the body in the corner of the hood closest to the corner signal light that goes into the signal light lens on a 45 degree angle, also there is another one on the bottom of the corner signal light lens that is in between the lens and the bumper(pretty hard to get at). Third, the front signal light below the head light needs to come out. This also has two screws, both are on the left side of the lens( the right side just has a tab that fits into a slot). One screw is pointing straight into the engine compartment and is easy to see, but the second points straight down at the ground and is easy to miss. Once the screws are out pull the left side of the lens towards you and the right side will come right out. Last but not least the headlight lens comes out, this is where my memory gets a little foggy but as far as I can remember it is just held in with clips. Diagonally from corner to corner are the two adjusting screws, which have ball tips that snap in and on the opposite corners there are flat(stationary) clips. Just make sure you pry as close to the clips as possible, and try to pop them out one at a time, they are very easy to break. Hope this helps, good luck!!!!! p.s. come to think of it, you probably want to take the battery out as well it will just make things easier.
  • susan49susan49 Member Posts: 1
    HI, I have a jeep cherokee, and the low coolant light keeps coming on. I had it in a shop, and they couldn;t find a leak of any kind. The other shop wanted to replace the radiator. I have to keep adding some coolant to get the light to go off. Any ideas?
  • deep2deep2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01' Cherokee that I have had since 17 miles. At about 48000 it started the Death Wobble. No lift, No change in tire size, everything factory. Swapped the steering stbilizer and it has stopped. The tires need replaceing too, but I swapped the steering stabilizer last june and the problem has not returned. I also own a 00 Wrangler that I bought used and it has a high performance steering stbilizer on it so I am wondering how long til the wobble begins there. It has a 4 inch lift and bigger tires.
  • jdejeephemijdejeephemi Member Posts: 33
    i have the same problem...but what is even worse is that i have had my jeep back to the shop three times for a major vibration problem only between the speeds of 70 and 80 miles an hour. they have replaced the drive shaft three times and it still does this. have you are anyone else experienced the same problem?
  • lpasolpaso Member Posts: 1
    We have had the same problem with our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We bought this vehicle new and it has just over 50,000 on it. We've treated it like a baby. It's been garaged for the entire time. We have met every service call at the dealership. Along with several issues along the years,( a battery that went dead on Christmas eve three years ago, a problem with brakes two years ago, etc.) we had a sudden massive fluid leak last night. The low coolant light kept coming on. Dealership was closed. We made it to Pep Boys down the street who told us they thought it was the water pump. They kept it overnight and just informed us it is not the water pump but the "freeze plug" behind the manifold intake? It cost about $90 to repair if they can get to it. If they have to remove anything, they say it will be about $285.00 to repair. The dealership could care less and has not returned our calls. Whoops. Dealership just called and said if Pep Boys can get to it and repair it for $90, we'll be reimbursed. If not, they'll (dealership) fix it for a $100 deductible.
  • hoppieshoppies Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 JGC Limited with a Hemi and have been experiencing idling/RPM problems for the past couple of weeks. I've been driving with one foot on the brake a one on the gas when I'm at stop lights for fear that it would stall.

I have had it stall on me twice right after I've started it, thankfully in a parking lot. I took it into the dealership today where the serivce tech downloaded a new updated program and "flashed" my computer. I drove it home about 10 miles and it seemed to run fine. This afternoon I was going to run to the grocery store but the car showed signs of the same problem. The RPMs started out strong but then imediately fell down on the gage almost to stalling then back up then down. It felt like the engine was missing as you could feel a viration while you were sitting in the drivers seat. I've had this car since Jan 06 (2005 closeout specials) and have had no problems with the car until now.

I called up the dealership this afternoon and I am bringing it in again tomorrow ...this time they'll give me a loaner to drive :)

I sure hope they can fix this problem I really love the car... I traded in my 2002 Mazda Tribute on this car which was running perfect. Just wanted a newer and larger SUV.

This is a informational website. I'll repost after I get the results of the testing tomorrow.

If anyone has any advice as too what the problem might be, I'll be happy to let the service men know.

Thank you :)
  • leslievlesliev Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I just purchased a 2001 JGC Limited . , And I have a same problem with the climate control blower motor .I disconected ,and it is works fine , and I have current at the Conector .But when I re -conecting . Nothing happen.
    Do you thing is it a resistor problem?
    Where is the resistor located?
    Could you help me.
    Thank You very much
    Leslie V
  • jdejeephemijdejeephemi Member Posts: 33
    i recently bought a 2005 an i have noticed right away that at speeds between 70 and 80mph it will vibrate very badly. I have taken it to the dealership four different times and each time they say it was the drive shaft. i have had it replaced trhee time and still no luck. Has anyone esle had this same issue? Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks!!! :(
    Please keep us posted, I am experiencing stalling with my 2005 jeep grand cherokee llimited, the dealership has tried everything, it only does this occasionally, they are going to flash my computer today also. They contend they have not had any of these problems, but after reading a few posts I disagree, it seems like I will not get a solution. The car scares me, how am I going to sell it to someone else if there is a safety issue?
  • pipseekerpipseeker Member Posts: 2
    How much is the free space measured from
    the driver's seat to the ceil?

If someone could be so kind and measure this for
    me?

I am talking about the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD 3.0 Year 2005/6 models

I've read tall people may have some difficulties
    to fit in to the car... :confuse:
  • bruce25bruce25 Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering if anyone has had this problem.a couple of weeks ago my jeep seemed to want to stall out , the rev's went right down to zero and the engine light came on.i went to an aouto motive shop but by the time i got there the engine light went out and they say they cant do anything untill the light comes back on.since then the jeep still runs rough some of the time but the light hasn't come back on.i replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help for 2 weeks but now its starting again and still no engine light.if anyone has any hints or tips would greatly appreciate it.
    Just a quick update to say they didn't even get the chance to look at my Jeep Wednesday. :mad: Hopefully Thursday they'll find out what the problem is. They did give me a loaner... after I asked for one... its a 99 dodge caravan...with over 100K miles... I was a bit taken back on the age and miles of this loaner...wondered if this is what a 5 star dealership offers their clients to use for the inconvience of having their 43K 2005 JGC in for service with only a mere 2,600 miles on it. :confuse: .. but oddly enough, the loaner, being 7 years old with over 100K.. runs better than my new 05 JGC! :surprise: So I guess, for the time being, I'll be happy being able to get to "point A to point B" .....and hope by Thursday they can fix my problem.
    My dealership had my car from last Friday until yesterday, they did everythng they could think of, checked all TSB's, flashed computer, had service person drive it for weekend with a computer hooked up, of course it did not stall. Finally yesterday sitting in the service bay, it did stall, they found a problem with of all things the battery- had a bad core or something that made a voltage spike and they think that made the computers shut down and the car stalled, they replaced the battery, it drove great yesterday, I hope that is it, the next step was to meet with Chrysler representative, I was impressed with everything the dealership tried.... wish me luck, I am still nervous!!!!!!!They ran my vin# etc.... the complete electrical shutdown is what had them baffled, when car stalled on them the dashboard lights etc were still working, with me it was total loss of everything, and I could feel the wheel tighten right before it would stall. Good luck to you, keep us posted!!! I have collected all of the posts regarding 2005 stalling, all records from dealership regarding the last time I brought it in for same problem, I have a diary of everyperson I talked to etc. what they said just in case!!!!!!!!
  • hbaradhbarad Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with automatic dual zone Heat / A/C. Recently the blower motor resistor was replaced by the dealer. Since then , the blower motor blows (go ahead, insert joke here), you can hear it working hard, but very little air moves through any of the vents. It doesn't matter what the settings are, it is the same in any mode. (Auto, A/C on Manual, Heater on Manual, Fan only). I initially suspected that the dealer failed to connect some hose or something, though they assure me that's not true, and my limited inspection didn't find anything obviously out of place. There was a mention of the "Blend Box", with an estimated replacement cost of $1000.00. I'm a bit suspicious of this dealer (Actually, all dealers), and I am hesitant to turn the car over to them without a better understanding of what it needs. Can anyone here offer any hints?

Thanks
  • puzzledownerpuzzledowner Member Posts: 1
    The Jeep seems to run fine however in the past several weeks after driving 30 miles on the highway and then exitting when stopped at a light or in traffic for more then a few seconds the RMP's start to drop below 500 and the oild pressure gauge also starts dropping, then the Check Gauge lights and alarms light and sound and if I take my foot off the break they both start to raise again. Been to the Dealer sever times and they can not seem to find the cause. They are now at the guessing point and had me replace the oil with can oil instead of bulk oil and also replaced the oil pressure sending unit... No Luck still happening.
    wow! Thanks for your update!...I too have been saving emails and documenting service at the dealership, just incase!....I told the service men that I did some research on the internet and found out that there are other 05 Jeeps have had similar problems and offered to let them know what they have done or what the problem could be.....but the manager?...said that all their "techs" are familiar with the problems and that they didn't need all the info...I did bring it with me Wednesday and when I left the dealership in my loaner,.. I placed the paperwork on the passenger seat of my Jeep.. just incase..the "techs" wanted some help.

If it was me..I would like to "hear" about simliar problems and possible solutions....but what do I know, I'm a woman? :confuse: (I bet the servicemen, just love it when car owners do their own research on the net) :) anyway, I love my Jeep with all the toys...navagation, sunroof..heated seats...and just want it back to they way it was when we bought it brand new...without fear that it will stall and leave me high and dry or possbly cause a accident....any owner of a brand new vehicle shouldn't have that worry.. period... Again, thanks for the update...!
    I had just the opposite, my dealership wanted all the info I had, they were as eager to find solution as I am, the service manager i feel did everything possible, when my husband I met with them yesterday, they had the tech who worked on the jeep, my service team advisor, the service manager and us, and I shared what info I had, he showed me the emails to and from Chrysler, I felt like we were all on the same team, it has been 24 hours and it rides like new, I hope you made copies, or that they are where you left them, our service manager wanted to know the website, I think car manufac. should be looking at this!!!!! I am like you still nervous, I agree it sounds like we have the same jeep, plus we use ours as a tow vehicle behind our motor home, so I really need a reliable car, that is why I went with the Limited to have all the bells and whistles and also great tow dinghy for RV....
    Well, I picked up my Jeep this afternoon and it seems to be running ok...I only drove it home about 10 miles but hit a few stop lights on the way and it was running pretty smooth. Their inspection of the engine components found a vacuum line loose and re adjusted the throttle body housing duct. They also noticed some engine shake at idle in the park position but it did not do anything that would be considered abnormal and told me that the Hemi is a very powerful engine ...

I spoke with the tech directly and he told me that the line was crimped and installed improperly from the factory and it was loose or had fallen off??..I don't remember if it was one or the other what he said. They told me that the line loose or off? would cause the engine to run rough and stall out.. because it regulates the airflow ... .anyway he fixed it...and for the time being..I'm up and running! :shades: They did encourage me if I had any more problems to come back...so I felt better about the dealership service after the sale. :blush:

Lets hope this will be my last posting and my Jeep will be problem free from now on :)
  • steveidesteveide Member Posts: 1
    I have only had my Jeep for 6 months its a Cherokee LTD 3.2ltr 2001... and I love it (not too happy with the British fuel prices though with only 20 MPG and now prices are £1.00/ltr(approx $1.65/lltr)) but what is the load whistle I hear from outside? it can only be heard when I accelerate quite hard with the window down, the Jeep performs fine and there's no smoke from the exhaust so I'm sure the Turbo is ok, is it the air intakes?
    Is this a diesel? The reason I ask is because you mention a turbo. If it's a gas burner, it could be the fuel pump. If this is the case, get someone to ride in the back seat with the window down, and when you accelerate, ask them if it's coming from the front or the rear. The fuel pump is in the rear, if it's a gasoline engine. A whistle could mean that the pump is getting ready to go bad. However, I don't know exactly where the fuel pump is on a diesel model, but I would still think that it would be in the rear. Let us know what you find out. -dixiecrawler
    If this has only happened when you are on the brakes, it sounds to me like something electrical in the brake system may be grounding out. That's what I would check into anyway.
    Keep a close check on your oil!!! If it looks milky or when you remove the oil filler cap it looks foamy, don't drive it at all! If your loosing coolant but their is no sign of external leaking, the only other kind of leak is internal, which is very, very bad! It wouldn't hurt to also keep a check on the automatic transmission fluid, because, if epuipped, there is an internal tranny cooler in the radiator. If coolant is leaking into the tranny, you'll burn it up before long, and they're not cheap to replace. Like I said before, if the oil looks funny, your coolant could be leaking through a blown head gasket or cracked head into the engine, which, pretty soon, will cause you to blow the engine! Keep a check on this and let us know what you find out! -dixiecrawler
    Just because your Jeep is lifted and has bigger tires doesn't mean that it will ever get the death wobble, unless your lift is insanely high (which I know your's isn't) with much larger than stock tires. Your steering stabilizer does, however, help to keep it from happening.
  • pipseekerpipseeker Member Posts: 2
    about 38.9 inch
  • andrewsp45andrewsp45 Member Posts: 7
    you should be able to take a timing belt to 150k
    My jgc, which takes me all over the place as required is starting to be troublesome, it has stalled on me repeatedly when stopped and brake applied, if i slip it into nuetral it does not do so, just when stopped in Drive.
    Secondly(well there are many more problems but these are the two most concerning)once the engine/transmission is warmed up, that is after about five miles or so, if i am not on an interstate or toll road and the likes, the tranny has a hard time going out of 2nd into 3rd, i can be running at 50+ with the engine revs at 4000+ and still not wanting to shift, at todays prices for gas i think i am throwing many $$$$ in the drain, any one with any ideas of how i might try to resovle either or both of these major concerns, this model has some kind of adjustment for the transmission on the front and rear, or so i am informed in the book i got to help fix problems, but i do not know if these adjustments are for either of the afore mentioned problems, please does anyone have have ideas to help me out here.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Andy
    If your Grand has a full-time 4WD transfer case, then yes, you may have a serious problem. However, the NV242 is both full-time and part-time, that is, you can choose 4-Hi, 4-Lo, 2-Hi, and, I believe, 2-Lo. If this is the case that you have, then maybe you just weren't in 4-Lo. Crawl up under your truck and look for the ID plate attached to the left rear side of the case. This will tell you which t-case you have and then, if you haven't yet found your problem, let us know the model of transfer case you have and maybe someone here can help! -dixiecrawler
    Hi Dixiecrawler, the jeep can be shifted into 4 lo, 4 hi, 2 lo and 2 hi, and as i said in my original post the thing does not want to shift up after it hits 2nd gear, does the adjustment screw have anything to do with this problem, the haynes book i have does not say what the adjusters are for, just that it has adjusters on it and how to adjust, what a book huh, not telling us what it actually adjusts. lol

Andy
  • rob1679rob1679 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition 4wd 4.7L V8. Recently a gap has appeared beneath the drivers side front headlight. If you are looking at the front of my car...each headlight is supposed to fit snug against the front bumper/fender. On the passenger side it certainly does. Now on the driver's side there is a gap about the thickness of a DVD case. Local Jeep dealer says all is intact and everything is ok, but this gap is annoying me on a personal and visible basis. Can anyone suggest ways to combat this gap?

Rob
  • ancjeepancjeep Member Posts: 6
    YOUR BATTERY PROBABLY HAS A BAD CELL. ALSO CHECK TO SEE IF
    YOUR ALTERNATOR MAY BE OVERCHARGING YOUR BATTERY.
  • latorrealatorrea Member Posts: 1
    I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEMS!!!!!! Somebody, please, HELP!