Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ldb1950ldb1950 Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 Grand Cherokee was doing the same thing off and on so I took it to the dealer and they said it was the PCM (Power control module). They replaced it at a cost of $850.00. I haven't had a re-occurance since then. Hope this helps.
  • sweetmamasweetmama Member Posts: 5
    We just got a Jeep Cherokee Lerdo 1990 from my sister in San Diego, The problem we are having though and cannot figure out is , that is isnt shifting correctly, We have been told it is the Throttle postioning sensor, it doesnt want to shift right first of all and second it revs up and down when your driving it, after you get to about 60-70 miles per hour, it stops...any help of clues would be great, i am a newby at this Jeep thing....all i have to say i think they are pieces of *#@* . I would very much like to figure out the problem, We have a strait 6 in it, and just replaceed the shifting cable, yesterday, :sick: ">
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    All you have to do is replace with aftermarket rotors...not real expensive ones either...just as long as they are not the D/C rotors. I spent less than $100 and fixed my problem for over 50,000 miles. Part of the problem can be the calipers....original calipers tended to stick on the slide pins.. I had one stick after putting on the aftermarket rotors...got hot enough to warp. Once they cooled down the warp left. Greased the slide pins and cured that problem. So, the $100 rotors would take a real heating up and revert to straight again... D/C factory rotors warp with only a little heat... Total Crap. Best thing is to avoid D/C vehilces... Even GMs are much better :-) at least that is my opinion.
  • jenm1jenm1 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone come across a solution for stalling. My JGC stalls fairly often, when I back out of my driveway and put the car into drive- the engine cuts off. Naturally the dealer is "unable to duplicate my problem" and say that there are no other reports of such an issue. Perhaps I should refer them to this forum so they can read for themselves all the stalling complaints... Thank goodness it is a lease- As soon as I turn the jeep in, I am headed straight for the Nissan dealership!
    Any insight would be helpful! Thanks.
  • weitdaweitda Member Posts: 1
    I got that same letter. I am not a fan of CA lawsuits either, but for the money I have put into mine having my rotors replaced 3 TIMES in the past 4 YEARS, it is a little different story. I have also just got done putting in over $3000.00 to replace both front and rear differentials and replace all twelve lifters in the engine. (3 lifters just broke one day...go figure)...I have stopped going to the Jeep dealers because of some of the BS that they had told me regarding the brakes years ago. I have a 99 JGCL with 107000 miles on it. I bought it 5 years ago with 63000 miles on it.
  • hectorchectorc Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 JGC and the check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone and the computer gave the code P0702 Speed Sensor Malfunction. I bought the sensor and changed it my self, restarted de PCM system (unhooked the battery for 15 min.) the engine light came off, but when I drove it and right after the first gear came in the engine light came on again. Took it again to Autozone and still same code. I changed the speed sensor again, thinking that I had a new bad one, and still it did the same thing, I even changed the harness that hooks up to the sensor. I took it again to autozone and it reads the same code. This is what the troubleshoot reads exactly:

Troublshooting P0702
    The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the transmission control system.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
    Thanks,

JC
    :sick:
  • mstoverinkmstoverink Member Posts: 22
    So I drained the diff and cleaned it out real good, filled back up with new gear oil and still getting the same sound. No idea what's causing this and I live in Italy so there's not an abundance of dealers or mechanics that are familiar with Jeep...not to mention the language barrier. I've included a quote from my first post explaining the problem. Any help??

"I have a pretty pronounced whirring/whining sound that seems to be coming from the front differential. This occurs anytime the wheels are in motion. The sound is pretty loud, and a dealership mechanic told me (over the phone) my front end is probably going out."
    I put up a post on here, i need some help or opinions, I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, Has a strong motor, and many new parts, the problem is when you get in it to drive somewhere it doesn't want to shift, it feels like it is getting stuck once you do get it it to shift it is ok other than it surges, while driving on the freeway, the RPMS go up and down erratically, could just be sensor, I am not sure i am unfamiliar with Jeeps, So any advice would be very very appreciated.... :sick:
  • taffy3taffy3 Member Posts: 26
    Got a similar noise on my '98GCLtd, especially on the over-run. Had it when I bought it, still the same now after oil change and several thousand kms. I just turn the radio up. If it falls apart I'll know what the problem is.

Cheers...Jim
    My problem is fixed!!! We had to replace both speed sensors the output and input, both located just inches away and very easy to replace. Hope this info helps someone.

Thanks,

JC
    :shades:
    Is the check engine light on? I had a problem with the speed sensors on mine and they were causing for the transmission to shift roughly.

Thanks,

JC
    :shades:
    JC Hey where would i find those at :sick: and were they costly? I am hoping that it will fix the problem, thanks Christina :sick:
  • ddjrkhddjrkh Member Posts: 2
    i found the problem, if anyone has this problem in the future.the problem in the transmission conyrol module up under the dash,left side of steering column.
    What was your jeep doing?
    They are on the driver's side of the transmission, one is located just about where the transmission connects to the driveshaft. The other one is a little to the front almost it the middle part of the transmission. The computer was giving a Code P0702 with the "check engine" light on, Is yours on? I paid a total of about $90 for both sensors.

If you want I can send you a picture of the whole thing.

Good luck,

JC
    Mine was doing the same thing, the main thing of my problem was that it needed wheel alignment, but I waited and the front passenger side tire wore out the thread on one side about an inch wide and that was enough to make the leaning worse. So I replaced the 2 front tires with new ones and had them aligned and solved my problem, I can go perfectly straight for about 2 to 3 blocks, Good Luck
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you want I can send you a picture of the whole thing.

Better yet, you can post it in your CarSpace for all the world to see! :)http://www.carspace.com/hectorc

tidester, host
  • cdplayercdplayer Member Posts: 18
    Had much the same noise as you. I have a 97 Limited ZJ. Put the Jeep on a dynamo because of the AWD. My mechanic determined the whine was from the driver side wheel bearing hub. As precaution I had both hubs replaced. On these models replacing just the bearings is a B*****. Replacing the entire hub assembly was more practical. My expense was the hub cost only. My mechanic (a friend) only wanted an 18 pack of beer to cover labor. Lucky me. ;)
  • jakecarranzajakecarranza Member Posts: 1
    Hey Matt,
    Did you ever find a solution? My JGC has started to do the same thing except only when I use the AC. I think its the pump but maybe the hose, i just don't know. I take care of my car and no accedents, would something like a pump just wear out on her?

appreciate any info....

Jake
    Hey JC, that would be great if you could send me a pic,Then i will know what too look for.....I am girl lol and dont no too much about cars...lol thanks Christina
  • crookstercrookster Member Posts: 40
    Now I have another problem with my JGC. The rear windows stop working one side at a time. One day the rear driver's side window stops working and the next day the rear passenger's window stops working, and the driver can not control the windows either when they stop working. Is it the motors? What is it? Thanks
  • tcrocketttcrockett Member Posts: 6
    I too have the vibration issue on my 2005 jgc w/hemi. dealer told me it was tires out of balance.
    I have this exact issue at speeds between 75 and 85 mph. I took it to the dealer for repair. Was told it was tires out of balance. Thought I was going to see the passenger seat fly through the sunroof!
    40,000 miles on a 2005 grand cherokee v8 hemi. Have had it in the shop for the vibration issue, for an acceleration issue and now the drive train actuator is being replaced.
  • stormchaser6stormchaser6 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having more of a pronounced skip or bucking is more like it between 60-70mph...over 70 seems to fade away and prior to 60 no problem.What is the Drive Train Actuator?Anyway to discribe the problem is as we all must have had at one time or another in our driving careers...water in the gas....that's the best I can discribe the problem..The bucking is radom and not in any special rhythem....It is a major skip which can be felt in the passenger seat and throughout the vehicle also...
  • howie56howie56 Member Posts: 21
    I have a problem with my 05 Jeep w/ HEMI always searching with the transmission and torque converter and it surges and the tack goes up 2 or 3 hundred RPM's looking for a smooth place and I'm being told by the dealer and chrysler that this is normal and I have 9500 miles on my jeep and it's been doing this since it has 3000 miles on it. They know whats happening and don't know how to fix this problem so their answer is to say it's normal and I'm just wondering if there is anyone else that has this problem. :confuse:
  • podedwardspodedwards Member Posts: 35
    http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2100506.pdf, check this out for vibration problem. It is a service bulletin for a software change that should eliminate noise and vibration from transmission harmonics.
  • zephonzephon Member Posts: 9
    I've been reading through a lot of these posts, never having been here before, and I find it to be a bit disheartening. A lot of people having a lot of problems with their JGC's.

I own a '96 model and I haven't had a lot of trouble, but I have experienced some. I have replaced the break rotors once in the 4-1/2 years I've had it. I do have an AC issue that I'm putting off dealing with til I get some spare cash. I have experienced the "death wobble" that does indeed scare you to death when it occurs. Glad to find out that replacing the steering dampener cures that.

But to address your particular problem, I faced a similar issue last spring. I would be driving down the road at average speed when all of the sudden, with no warning, my JGC would just die and I would coast to the side of the road. I would sit there for 30 secs to a minute and then restart it and drive off as if nothing had happened. Over a period of 3 weeks this happened about 6 times. I first discussed the problem with friends at work and one said he had the same problem with a Jeep he once owned. He said it turned out to be a faulty crank position sensor (CPS). So I took it to my mechanic and wouldn't you know it, he couldn't get it to repeat the problem over two days of having it. His suspicion was, among other things, the CPS so I told him to just go ahead and replace it (about a $90 part). Since then, the problem has not reoccurred.

So, you might talk to your mechanic about that and see what he thinks. Hope this helps.
  • jdejeephemijdejeephemi Member Posts: 33
    What is exactly the drivetrain actuator? I have noticed certain characterstics with the acceleration in my jeep. Hopefully i dont have to put it in the shop again, but if you have a second tell me more about how your jeep is driving and why that part must be replaced. thanks for your help!!!

dave
  • mikehull007mikehull007 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a fix for this?
  • nutzinutzi Member Posts: 4
    I have read through the stalling problems people have been having. We are having the same problem....at a stop sign, red light or stopped to go from reverse to drive it will stall. Most of the time it restarts immediately, today it wouldn't.
    I have read that many people had different parts changed & it didn't help! We have had mechanics look at it too & they can't get a computer reading on it, even though it did stall on them. Has anybody found what will fix this problem? My 16 year old is driving this car & it is so dangerous!Please let me know if anything worked to solve this problem!
  • jeepowner55jeepowner55 Member Posts: 2
    My A/C wasn't working on my 1995 Loredo 5.2 V8 4WD so the service garage charged it up. 2 weeks later it's bad again and they tell me it's the evaporator and should change the accumulator too. Estimate is $1400. They say the parts are $600 of that. I look 'em up and find them for $170 (both). Is this a DIY job or can you tell me what's involved?
  • notjeepcrazynotjeepcrazy Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. What is this "good set" you are referring to. The entire wiring of the tail lights, the light itself, or something differnt. In the meantime I'll do an ebay search on Tail Light Circuit for a GC.
    I have already posted about my jgc at 40k miles needing a drivetrain actuator. That did not fix the problem. Now they have ordered something to do with the rear differential. The part needed is on national backorder. Tells me right there that lots of people have the same problem. To top it off, my daughters 2005 jgc laredo with 32k miles is now in the shop for the stalling problem. They are ordering her a transmission control module. Part won't be here for 4-5 days. I think something must really be wrong with these cars.
  • lukesjgclukesjgc Member Posts: 5
    Before anyone starts calling me names, I realize what I did was VERY idiotic. For the first time in 97k miles, I tried to "hot-dog" my laredo. I Revved it up in Neutral and dropped it into Drive trying to show off to my little brother how my Jeep could still turn 'em over. Before you ask, NO! I'm not in High School. The jeep never spun out, it skipped 1st gear and sounded like it hit 3rd and bogged down. Now when I come to a stop, it doesn't always want to start off in 1st gear. It starts in 2nd like I'm driving in wet concrete then will drop down to 1st after I floor the gas. It doesn't do this all of the time, maybe 35%. Did I break some teeth out of 1st? Please help?
  • clinkclink Member Posts: 1
    Recently replaced the blower motor, Resistor assy and found it interesting that the pigtail that plugs into the resistor assy was melted down so bad that it had fused to the resistor box. When I informed the dealer of the situation they said "oh yeah, there is a revised pigtail with larger diameter wires to handle the current draw from the blower motor" I purchased the revised pigtail assembly and installed. Now the wires do not get hot with the blower motor on. Why is it that the fuse did not blow with such a load large enough to melt the pigtail wires and connector? Why is it that Jeep did not do a recall on an obvious oversight?(if they revised the pigtail then they knew there was a problem)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    In good set, I mean a good set of rear taillight assemblies. Instead of getting burned again, I went with a set of ALtezza Euro clear lights. They work better than stock and add much style also in the process.
  • oldman59oldman59 Member Posts: 8
    It sounds like you may have a bad crankshaft position sensor this is a common problem on jeeps. My 97 had this problem, it stalled anywhere, any time. It's located on bellhousing drivers side, about 11 o'clock. Oldman59 Dale :mad:
  • chutes717chutes717 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same porblem and I was told the whole computer component was bad. Waiting for part to see if they are right, will keep you informed
    When you turn the key on does the check engine light come on? Oldman59 Dale :mad:
  • nutzinutzi Member Posts: 4
    Thank You sooooo much! We have passed this info on to our mechanic. I appreciate you replying. It is so dangerous for our son to be driving the jeep in that condition and so frustrating for the mechanics not to be able to fix the problem! I will update to let you know what happens!
    Have the mechanic check inside the connection where it plugs together. Corrosion forms on pins inside causing it to short out. It can be a real headache, because it doesn't always trip check engine light. Hope this is of help. Oldman59 Dale :mad:
  • jaquglojaquglo Member Posts: 9
    I took my Jeep in for a tune-up because I'm leaving for college soon and needed a tune up. I got it back and the day after it started dying on me while I was driving and parked. The first time it happened I was driving about 30 mph when it started to spudder then die. All my lights/radio stayed on and it started right back up and I made it into a neighborhood. I took it to the same repair shop I got my tune-up at and they said at first it was my fuel pump, then it was my ignition coil, then it was my computer (at this point I had it transfered to the dealership.) They had it for a week and couldn't find anything wrong on the diagnostics. They got it to die and made a decision that it was possibly the crankshaft sensor but they were only 50 percent sure. It was replaced and I made it home, but later that day it died again and right now it wont start. Is there something in my fuel tank clogging it?? SOOOOO FRUSTRATED, please help!!
    Has the fuel pump ever been changed. The dealer should have put a fuel pressure gauge on it. Does the check engine light come on when you turn key on, you should hear a click when you turn key on, this would be the fuel pump turning on . It will cilck for 3-5 seconds. Have someone remove hose from throttlebody, spray some throttle body cleaner into throttle body try to start if it starts you have a fuel problem. Also check for spark at plug wire Oldman59 :mad:
  • forscheforsche Member Posts: 6
    I've helped out two people with this problem so far and I hope it helps you. I don't know what you've changed on your car but I you stall when you stop with your foot off of the gas it might be the idle control. There is a plunger at the back of the intake manifold on top of the engine that regulate air through the throttle body. On older units including mine they get gummed up or stop working. There are two screw (careful not to drop them I did) and a wire harness to disconnect. I can't remembe the exact price but it is under $50.

Have a great day and God Bless.

Forsche
  • hotmama1hotmama1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2l v8 automatic. Having loads of issues:Alarm lights flash but no alarm sound,had to push o/d button in order for it to shift around 50-55mph(now that doesnt even work to get it to shift-other gears shift fine),ticking in glove box where relays are(replaced relay but still ticks),radio not working(aftermarket Pioneer cd),climate control & info. center work when want to,left blinker won't work when headlights on,back liftgate won't open(even when push in and lift handle-no rust).Anyone had these problems?What do I do?
    I drive a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee and after getting a tune up mine has started dying on me randomly. First they said it was my fuel pump, then my ignition coil, then my computer. I had it transfered to a dealership and there they replaced my crankshaft, but they were only fifty percent sure it would help. Well, it didn't and I'm taking it to a different dealership tomorrow since it died on me again. People I've talked to are convinced that there's something floating in the gas tank. Any advice?
    I've got a a 97 with the same problem. They replaced my crankshaft, but it did no good. Is there anything else your dealer said it might be? Mine wants me to purchase a new fuel pump so I wanted to double check with a few people before I made that jump.
    I had a tune up and they replaced my spark plugs and after that it just started dying. It dies while my foot is on the gas and if I'm in park or reverse. It always starts right back up, and for the first time today it wouldn't start at all for about twenty minutes. I've already had my crankshaft sensor replaced but they've also thought that it was the fuel pump, ignition coil, and computer.. any suggestions?
  • iblori22000iblori22000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has began to make a grinding sound (not like the breaks grinding) in the rear. Sounds like it is coming from the axle which has been replaced once before we purchased it. Just wondering if this noise could be the axle again or not. It makes it all the time but when you slow down it won't make it as much. Can some one help?