Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• countrygirl113countrygirl113 Member Posts: 7
    With everything that is goin on with my Jeep,I love it but geez I can't afford it anymore,it's back in the shop again, and I still can't get a straight answer on what's wrong with it...the mechanic puts it on the scanner,nothin is wrong.....what do i do? I feel like the cartoon askin which way do I go which way do I go....This is ridiculous.anyone want to buy a used jgcl?you will be gettin a lemon :lemon: :sick: :confuse: I have replaced almost everything I can think of and it still is bein a pain in my rear end.And to end it all I will never buy another dodge chrysler jeep product again...
  • eladkaplaneladkaplan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Grand Cherokee 4.0L v6, it started to heat up on me and I've noticed the fan isn't working at all, I'm pretty sure the fan is dead cause when i tried to jump start it, it didn't work. I bought a new fan (not the square frame but the round fan that attaching to it) and I don't know how to replace it, can someone help me? Thank's..
  • snark1snark1 Member Posts: 2
    I love my 03' jgc, but it's a piece of junk. I've replaced the power window regulators 6 times. I learned to do it myself for the last five. It's in the shop again for transmission; I can't do this one myself cause of the flash codes on the electronic componets; apparently only the dealer has the equipment to do that. I've done numerous other repairs myself. A bucket of bolts. I will not buy Jeep again until they prove reliability. I realize dealers make most of their money in the service department. The way they've designed this vehicle, they make it hard to fix it any place else. The vehicle is a dealer cash cow.
  • keithy02keithy02 Member Posts: 9
    mine window rotors paid 22,000 now worth 18,000
    should we get rid of or pray alot
    keith
  • matts2matts2 Member Posts: 4
    i have that same problem and i have the same jeep i have had the problem fixed lik 4 times and the check engine light keeps coming back on every time? i also keep failing inspection because of it>
  • taffy3taffy3 Member Posts: 26
    My '98 GCL has had the 'Check' Engine' light on for over a year now and it runs just fine. I change the oil, flush the engine and change all filters as per. It's just crying 'Wolf!'

Jim, Mexico
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    what code do you get when you read them?
    p0138 and i replaced it
    did you check wire from where it comes out ov wire harnes could be shorted to ground
  • thebay415thebay415 Member Posts: 1
    I went for a ride this morning and returned back to my house as normal. When i got out the car, I noticed that the fan was still on. I didnt pay it much mind because I figured it would cut off in a few minutes. I returned to my car a few hours later only to find out that it wouldnt start. My neighbor gave me a jump and the jeep started up right away. I took it for a spin and returned back to my house. I turned the car off..and the fan was still running!!! Its going on an hour and i know it is going to drain my battery again...but what will i have to do to fix this problem?!?!? PLEASE HELP. :sick:
    after you jumped jeep did the fan start right away or did it have to warm up?
  • nachojeepnachojeep Member Posts: 5
    This is a very common problem (defect). I have a JGC'02 and the fan would not stop which drained my battery. The dealer replaced it with a new one. Almost two years pass and the fan stopped working and the dealer installed a 2nd one. I hope your car is still under warranty.
    where would i look for the shorted ground?
    just follow the wire back to where it enters wire harness also look the harness over to see if has gotten over heated or burnet by touching hot engine parts
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
    Can someone please explain to me how to remove the fuel line from the fuel filter on a 96 grand cherokee 4.0. I can't release the quick connects. Thanks in advance.
    i checked theres no short in it it works fine how do i find out what cylinder is causeing a missfire and dose and exhaust leack cause thte O2 senors to go off or cause a problem?
  • jeepgirlctjeepgirlct Member Posts: 1
    Hi-
    I have a 2004 JGCL that makes a loud/high pitched grating noise when I go from park to reverse or part to drive. The vehicle has 39,800 miles on it. It also seems to 'lurch" forward when I am proceeding from a stop. Any suggestions as to what this might be???
    Thanks,
    Michelle in CT
    realy sounds as if you have a vacuem leak some where around the intake manafold
    i would look over your hoses real good and check the bolts that hold the manafold on they should be gust snug don't over tighten
  • lebman649lebman649 Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering a Jeep SRT8. Are there any problems with the new ones seeing they starting coming out with them in 2005. Any insight appreciated.
  • soccermansoccerman Member Posts: 8
    Now trying again to get this done. I have the viscous coupler and also the diagrams showing how to open the transfer case, but they show the transfer case removed from the vehicle. Your note says it doesn't have to come off - but it looks impossible to remove the retainer clip on the back of the Transfer Case without taking the whole case off. :confuse: Can you help/confirm.
    If the Transfer Case has to come off, does this involve lowering the transmission?
    Thanks
  • tdad71302tdad71302 Member Posts: 18
    does anyone know where i can get a aftermarket spring perch for my front axle? the original has totally rotted out on my 95 grand cherokee. :sick:
  • trublsmtrublsm Member Posts: 6
    Jeep will not start immediately wait a while something clicks vehicle starts
  • emerick53emerick53 Member Posts: 2
    Jeep Girl,

My 2000 JGC Limited (4.7 L) does the same thing. It was both 'grating' and 'lurching' occasionally when we bought it with 35,000 miles and it still 'grates' and 'lurches' occasionally now, with 98,000 miles. My "occasionally" is about 2-3 times/week. It has never given us any problems (other than concern when it happens).

I have just taken the 1 to 1.5 seconds of grating as being an electric movement in the transmission. They are both annoying, but, in our case, at least haven't cost us anything for 6 years. Good Luck!! Brad
  • pcv1pcv1 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 03 GC and this problem started yesterday. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow but this seems more like a relay problem than a fan problem. Does anyone know of a fix other than to replace the entire fan unit?
  • redraiderredraider Member Posts: 1
    keeps coming on, particularly when i turn left in my '99 gc -- whassup with that???
  • sdglenn40sdglenn40 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me teh location of the oil filter on 07 JGC 5.7 hemi?
  • rw2352ajrw2352aj Member Posts: 16
    I also have JGC limited with dual heat/air control. Passenger side only gives off cold air. Happened on 11-3-07. It has approx. 86000 miles. Drivers side seat does not heat. Auotmatic seat position does not work. Drivers side mirrow changes about every time I lock the car for any period of time.
  • rw2352ajrw2352aj Member Posts: 16
    I migh add to my message that just before and found this heat problem I had disconnected the neg terminal to clean it and replaced. Today I removed the neg terminal and then the positive terminal and waited a few minutes. Reconnected them and had heat both sides. I was very excited about this. I shut the car off and inside to tell my wife. She later wanted to run an errand and when we started the car again we had no heat on the passengers side. Does any of this make sense to anyone out there?
  • jalangilbertjalangilbert Member Posts: 1
    Did you receive any advice re your air bag indicator light, my 99 is doing the exact same thing.
    Jeff
  • michael64michael64 Member Posts: 4
    No heat in my 1999 JGC: I have experienced nearly the same problem. After reading your comment I disconnected the negative battery terminal, and when I reconnected it and started the car I had heat! Up until then I had no heat on either side or from any vent. But, when I turned the car off and started it again the heat was, once again, not to be found. It seems like this would rule out the problem being broken air blend doors. Does anyone know?
  • walkjc1walkjc1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Friends,
    I occasionally hear a weird and horrible noise from the center console which originates after hitting a bump, pothole or whatever.

It sounds like some sort of flapper or butterfly valve gets stuck and the noise gets louder with motion and stops when the vehicle stops. The noise lasts only 20 - 30 secs (as soon as I pullover) and the vent valve seats itself (i presume). The noise sounds god awful and would make you think explosion is near, but it fixes itself before I have a chance to pinpoint it.

My questions are:
    1. Has this happened to you, so you know what I'm talking about?
    2. Is there a vent buried in the center console that controls the ac blow to the back seat?
    3. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
    JW
  • dandcsmomdandcsmom Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee with the exact same problem. The garage told me it would cost over a thousand dollars to fix the blend doors. I disconnected the cables to the battery, reconnected them about 30 minutes later and voila. Heat. Shut it off and 10 minutes later, no heat. Evidently this is a factory defect and everyone should complain to chrysler. I am.
    My 2004 jeep grand cherokee blows air, but no heat. The factory wanted over a thousand dollars to fix the blend doors. I read where disconnecting the battery cables and reconnecting them fixes the heat problem temporarily. It did. TEMPORARILY. Everyone with this problem needs to contact Chrysler. This should most definitely be a recall. This is a factory defect!! You can e-mail them at the JEEP.COM website. Go to the bottom and click "contact us" or call 1-800-853-1403 or mail them at CHRYSLER LLC P.O. BOX 4639 OAK RIDGE, TN 37831. Do not give up. Chrysler created this problem. Now they need to fix it!
  • michael64michael64 Member Posts: 4
    Still confused. What IS the problem? Still a blend door problem (but not the usual "broken" door issue)? Or something else? It sure doesn't sound like a blend door problem since the heat CAN work on occasion. thoughts?

mike
  • amykatamykat Member Posts: 1
    :sick: Last night I was sitting n line and my oil pressure bottomed out. turned it off and started it again. it ran fine then died to now it won't restart. could it be oil pump? Checked and it has oil and yes has gas also? what could it be? HELP PLEASE
  • jhuckjhuck Member Posts: 17
    We have a 2000 JGC Lorado and the heat air problem appeared last year at Christmas. We open the glove box and slam it shut to get the air blowing again.
  • jhuckjhuck Member Posts: 17
    I had that happen last year when taking a child to school. As long as I put it in netural and gave it gas at lights, the oil pressure would stay up. I did that all the way to the guy who does my repair work. It turned out to be the oil pump and sensor. The total cost was $1800.
  • libo73libo73 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem. It was a broken oil pressure sensor. The heat never rose and oil level was fine. Cost of new sensor and labor - $126 They replaced it and the replacement worked exactly opposite of how it should. Pressed the gas and the oil pressure went to zero...and the alarm went off. Defective part. Mechanic replaced it with anothr for free.
  • peru9800peru9800 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99JGC with the same problem. Of course changing the blend doors is simple it's just that getting at them is extremely involved. Here's a couple of links that may be helpful...

http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm

http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm

good luck
  • shandrabshandrab Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee that started overheating today. The fan is not working and from what I am reading, it is not cheap to replace. Also, from what I read, there is more than just replacing the fan motor. First, I want to try hitting the fan motor like someone else wrote. If this does not work...I am hoping...what am I going to have to do to get the fan working again? :confuse: I hate taking any vehicle to a mechanic, but this is a fairly new vehicle and I don't want to screw anything up. :(
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Rather than hitting the motor, why don't you try running some temporary wires direct from your battery to the motor to see if the motor is the problem. There may be a relay or other problem that is preventing power from getting to the motor. There are quite a few posts on this issue, try a search to get some other ideas.
    Consumers Unite! Go to this website to file a complaint for a recall on the heat system: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    enter complaint under visibility:defroster/defogger system:windshield:blower
    We have to unite to get results!!
  • pattiquepattique Member Posts: 3
    I've owned my '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd V8 automatic trans. since 1995. It's been pretty decent with the normal repairs,140,000 miles. Last month the battery was dead, charged it up, the next day it was dead again. Had it towed to a shop near where I live. I had a remote starter for years, they told me it was bad and was draining the battery and disconnected it. Next day dead again, they told me it was the security system and were going to disconnect that. Next day, dead again. Then they said it had "electrical problems" and finally replaced battery and negative cable tip, which solved the problem. $220 for labor, $105 for parts, and no remote starter anymore. Two weeks later, I had a security lock out; come to find out, the security system cannot be disabled. Took it to the Jeep dealer, in their words, they had to "trick system to get veh running then unhook theft system and let run so PCM would not recognize theft system. If battery is disconnected or replaced, it will need to have steps repeated to activate and deactivate theft system." Another $305. Everything's fine, no theft system, but now Jeep won't go into overdrive. It's not the OD button, checked that. Took it back to Jeep, now it's a bad computer and will cost $800 to replace. Being a woman who knows next to nothing about vehicles, I don't know what to think. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • ptech2005ptech2005 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds to me like they DID NOT take the neccesary prcautions when changing the battery the first time. Some vehicles REQUIRE some kind of battery back-up when changing the battery, Most times it is some kind of battey or deivce that plugs into the cigarette lighter and all it does is keep the system with another power so it doesnt loose memory / programming (main computer) .

I think the shop is responsible for the problems becuase of the MIS-DIAGNOSIS the first time. Possible they cut a wire for the remote started that caused some kind of system error. There are many different things that could of lead up to where you are but what I do know is that iof they would of used a back up battery device, changed YOUR battery and terminals and then removed the back up device, you would not of had any problems with the theft system or other issue. (IN MY OPINION)
  • countrygirl113countrygirl113 Member Posts: 7
    I too was havin small things go wrong with my 98 jgc simple little things that didn't make sense...before you get a new computer for $800.00 go to a junkyard and ask for a used one out of a wrecked jeep,I just happened to have a friend that knew someone that had a computer i put it in mine no more problems you could tell a difference when you first cranked it up after i put it on,but anyway i got mine for $75.00 there is also a place on here on ebay look up computers for the make and model and it will come up with a place in florida that sells them for $400.00 which to me is a lot better than $800.00 i got lucky with mine....i don't take it to the dealership anymore they are a ripoff.......but they have to get your vin number to put it in the computer they send you to make it work.........hope you get it fixed.....Good Luck
    Thank you for the information. I didn't know any of that. I too believe they're responsible, and since I paid with a credit card, my bank has filed a complaint for me to try and get some of the money back. So we'll see what happens.
    Thanks SO much for the advice. I'll try to find one.
  • catsucatsu Member Posts: 3
    Have a '94 Grand Cherokee and the "service 4WD" light keeps coming on when I put it in either part-time or full-time 4WD. Where is the switch at? Have checked the manual and can't find anything about it. Hope someone can help. thanks loads
  • bernr1bernr1 Member Posts: 8
    I was looking for a fuse in my manual. when looking and trying to identify some of the fuses from the owners manual with the fuse box, i saw a few that i can't find. It would appear that you can't get to them without pulling the steering wheel cover off. Does anybody know about this? Are these accessible?