Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dfitchettdfitchett Member Posts: 2
    hi, just bought a 98 grand jeep, when you put your foot down it is spewing clouds of black smoke out. thought there was a problem with air flow sensor , car didnt smoke when this was diconnected, ran slightly better as well. after spending 90 quid on a new sensor , i have reconnected and it still spews smoke out when you put your footdown. as soon as you disconnect the lead to the sensor the car runs with not a sign of any smoke although it does run underpowered. any suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Damia :cry:
  • catsucatsu Member Posts: 3
    Check under the hood, part of them are there.
  • jdejeephemijdejeephemi Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone had to replace the axle mounts located on the front differental case? There are two: one on the upper left and one one the upper rear of the case. They are 37.00 dollar parts but the labor is well over 500 bucks. IF THEY ARE TORN ON YOUR JGC THE ENGINE WILL SHIFT VERY HARD FROM PARK TO REVERSE OR FROM PARK TO DRIVE. BUT NOT THROUGH THE GEARS. I feel this is a problem that Jeep needs to address as a recall since more and more JGC are having this problem....and the parts are on backorder.

Let me know
    dave
  • mangolfmangolf Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 JGC with 4.7 18,000 mi. and have the exact same problem. I can also hear a tick at idle along a wall, i.e. garage. I test drove another model last time at dealer and heard the same noise. Must be a problem typical to this car. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm open. I think it sounds bad and would like to elimintate the sound.
  • djp2tdjp2t Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 1997 jeep cherokee 4.0. A buddy of mine and I recently made a round trip of about 600 miles. Just about when I got home my check gauges light came on. It was just the voltage so I thought no big deal. Once I pulled into the driveway I smelled a burning oil sound and I noticed some steam coming from the engine compartment. It did not seem like the car was overheating, I mean the temp gauge was right on the middle. I immediately popped open the hood and then coolant was dripping out from underneath the vehicle. It turns out it was coming from right underneath where the drive belt is. The coolant was kind of a hazy green but then it started dripping out black like it had mixed with oil. I started it today to see if anything had changed and once it made it to operating temperature it made the strangest noise. It sounded like hard metal on metal screeching. The Voltage is the least of my worries right now but sometimes that gauge works and sometimes it doesnt. I dont know if the two are related. When I do crank the jeep up it seems fine like it did everyday before until it heats up a bit. If anybody on here can help me out that would be great. I will probably try to do the work myself if possible.

Thank You
    Doug
  • keithy02keithy02 Member Posts: 9
    AND WHILE WE ARE AT IT MY 2006 LAREDO IS EVERYBODY HAPPY
    WITH THEIR TRANSMISSION SHALL WE DUMP OUR JEEPS
  • paulinhopaulinho Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a 1996 JChe Laredo, this last week started to fail the trasnmission: Suddenly push harder and seems to start running when you are stopped at the light...other times seems that the shift is out and takes a bit to start to run....
    My question is about the possible diagnosis and the probably price for the repair.
    please any help would be really welcome!!!
    thanks
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I'm no expert but I think I would start by doing an oil change. After the oil is drained out check it to see if there is any water or debris in it. It would look and or smell unusual and the water and oil will seperate when sitting in the pan. You may also be able to tell by looking at the dipstick, and I would check both the oil and transmission dipsticks. Oil and antifreeze can get mixed in the engine by a crack or gasket failure and antifreeze and transmission fluid can get mixed in the radiator by a crack. The noise may be a result of whatever is dripping getting on your drive belt, but in any case I would be very cautious about driving it anywhere.
  • dakunkdakunk Member Posts: 2
    Im having problems starting my jeep while it is cold. It will turn over then die after just a few seconds. After awhile when the day would get warmer the jeep would start without any problems. Now that its colder It wont stay running no matter what time of day. We have found that if we take a hair dryer and blow it on the distibuter (I think thats what it is it's on the back of the engine) it will start and stay running. Please if someone can help us out with any suggestions. :confuse: :confuse:
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ. When I start it up after the engine is at normal operating temperature, it idles rough for a few seconds. There is no stalling or hesitation, just the rough idle. I noticed a smell of semi-burned fuel [which means that its running rich] when this happens and the RPM goes to 1,200.It's a 4.0 POWER-TECH I6. Other than that things are fine. By the way, the engine light isn't on.
  • bratbaby85bratbaby85 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone give me an idea on how to get the fan bolt off? I have bought manual and it did not work. I have tried turning the bolt both ways and neither way will loosen. What should I do now?
  • mazkowmazkow Member Posts: 2
    We are working on the jeep tonight...replacing the freeze plug in the radiator line...how do I remove the old one to put the new one it? Email is good or IM StellaMazik@yahoo same name for both the messenger or the mail...thanks!
  • mazkowmazkow Member Posts: 2
    How many bolts are there? Do you want to (are you able) to do a direct chat? I will talk you through it if you like...try me at StellaMazik on yahoo messenger. If it's just rusted, spray it with WD-40 and then tap it GENTLY with a hammer to knock the internal rust loose.
  • cherokeeprncescherokeeprnces Member Posts: 8
    After reading the postings, I wondered if you ever got your Jeeps electrical probs solved and what was the cause. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and suddenly all my power windows have stopped working, my cruise control no longer engages, my interior lights have issues, and my air bag light stays on. I have only had this vehicle 3 months and all these things have happened within a week. All the fuses have been checked and are all good, but I can't figure out why this is happening. Please let me know if there is something I should check or know.
    Thanks!!!!
  • gman00799gman00799 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 grand cherokee limites and the heat is not working on the drivers side only , it blows cold on the drivers side and hot on the passenger side. I got diagnostic codes of 54 left temp door travel too large and 56 right temp door travel too large.

I was wondering what you did to fix your heat? Did you try recalibrating the azc?
    could it be a vacum hose or leaves that are jamming the doors?

please let me know.

thanks
  • dnielsen4dnielsen4 Member Posts: 1
    i feel your pain about the over heating issues.. I have a new water pump, hoses, radatior cap thermastat. I have flushed her my self and professionaly.. when the tempertor is over 70degrees. she may or may not over heat some times in highway traffic running at 70mph if some slow car gets in front she will over heat.
    But my baby never over heats when i am near the auto shop ( I trust to do the service and maintance I dont like to mess with)
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    could be the fan clutch working and not working or the flow rate on the radiator coulb be pluged partley
  • crsher2002crsher2002 Member Posts: 21
    Recently the dealer performed warranty service on the transmission, which would not downshift out of overdrive. After the service, there is a distinct ATF smell that comes through the vents when using fresh air intake. I can smell it plain as day, as can my passengers, but the dealer claims "unable to duplicate"

I've checked as best I can for leaks, seepage, etc, but can't find anything. Any ideas?
  • efloreseflores Member Posts: 3
    Longfellow (and all those who may read this),

You are correct in your assessment of the chrome clad wheels (available on Limited models). Thanks for the BIG hint. I have a 2005 JGC Limited Hemi with chrome clad wheels. When I purchased the vehicle used, I took it in to be balanced. It came out worse than before. I took it back and it was still worse. I would have spent hundreds of dollars chasing this obscure problem when all it needed was for the balancing to be done on a special balancing machine called the Road Force Measurement system (made by Hunter; GSP9700.com). The website will tell you where these machines are used (most Mercedes, BMW, even Jeep dealers either have a machine or have access to one. Also, America's Tires selectively have the machines). Basically, these machines balance your tires the way the factory originally balances them. And they are not bothered by the flexible (ungrippable) chrome clad. A quality tire house will tell you that they can't balance these chrome clad wheels because they can't get a good enough grip on them (again, because the chrome clad material flexes too much). But the Road Force machine can, and will balance the tires beyond description. I would recommend this machine for anyone having any kind of tire balancing issue, not just because of chrome clad issues. It cost me $65 for all 4 tires at the Jeep Dealer (I specifically asked for the Road Force machine and they located one next to their facility at the BMW dealer. They were aware of the issue). Again, thanks for the tip! Glad you contributed to this forum, and that this forum is around!
  • lrogierlrogier Member Posts: 1
    In my 2005 GC, my air bag light for both sides goes on and off randomly (so far as I can tell). I had it recalibrated when it was under warranty, but the 12 months has run out (as of Nov 20) and the lights are coming on again.

Is there a known problem with this? Is there a way to fix it easily or recalibrate it without going back to the dealer?
  • mkennelmkennel Member Posts: 2
    How do you diable pernamentaly the security system on a 1995 grand cherokee it is a 318 V 8 if that matters also has remote starter
  • mkennelmkennel Member Posts: 2
    How do you disable pernamentaly the security system on a 1995 grand cherokee it is a 318 V 8 if that matters also has remote starter
  • leakleak Member Posts: 5
    Hi have a 2000 JGC WJ 4WD 4.0 Engine. My problem started I think last week when I notice that my headlight and my light console starting to dim. Then last night the battery power went down to its lowest level while Im driving. I totally lost the power in everything and the engine had just died down. I replace my battery about two months ago. What could be the problem? Please help. Thank you
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    Your alternator might be going out.
  • ilovesalvatoreilovesalvatore Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a Grand Cherokee laredo 2001 since 2003. It has about 130,000 miles on it now, and it still runs perfectly, never had any problems with it until a few days ago. it's not too serious, just weird. there is something wrong with the electric locks, and all of my doors keep getting jammed. whenever i lock them using the remote or the door switch it makes a loud noise, it sounds like its quacking, but when i do it manually, it doesnt. so it's obviously electric. also, lately when ive been locking them manually, they get stuck. i was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem, and if its something serious or easy to fix cus i dont want to start taking apart my door until i have a good idea of what it is, and i know what im looking for. maybe a wire got disconnected or something? help?
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    From everything I've heard and read on the system, you can't disable it. If it is the factory system it is integrated in the Jeep's computer and can not be separated from other operational systems since they share components of their programs.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    check for broken wire in drivers door by hinges lots of wires in the rubber protector
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    check your fluid. Sounds like you are low on transmission fluid.
  • niloc02niloc02 Member Posts: 1
    We had a similar problem on our 2000 GC, except the passenger side went out first. We had the same error codes. About 2 years after the passenger side went out, the driver's side went out.

Turns out, the axel on the blend doors was broken (it's made of cheap plastic). The doors just fall off and cover the heat holes. (one door usually falls off long before the other, which explains why one side works and not the other). You might get cold air in the summer no problem, but if you want heat in the winter....nope.

It apparently is a very common thing with Grand Cherokees. I found a thing called "HeaterTreater" on ebay....a DIY kit that replaces the blend doors. It's cheap ($150) compared to what the dealer wanted to do...(they wanted to replace the entire blend box for like $900 bucks). If you do decide to do the DIY way, you just have to give up dual climate control....you get air on both sides, but the driver's side knob controls everything....passenger knob doesn't change the temp. It took me about 2 hours to put in and I have virtually no technical experience.

Not saying this is for sure your problem, but it's worth looking into.

http://stores.ebay.com/Allen-Automotive-Accessories
  • n0otron0otro Member Posts: 12
    I need help troubleshooting a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Check Gages" light alarm.
    My wife drives the car to work everyday and intermittently the oil pressure suddenly drops to zero, the "Check Gages" light dings and flashes, then the oil pressure goes back to normal. Her mechanic swears there is no problem with the car. There isn't any problem that I can find other than the annoying frequency with which this can occur (sometimes once every couple minutes). I can't seem to find any correlation between stepping on the gas or breaking, and it mostly happens while driving on the freeway, although it has been known to happen in city driving (stop & go) also.

Is this just an oil pressure sensor gone bad? What should I do first?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions you have!
  • ronin2876ronin2876 Member Posts: 1
    Every time i turn around i see a check engine light on my fully loaded 97 JGC laredo,most of them have ben the O2 sensors, but not this time. What happened was the exhaust manifold cracked, which in turn caused a whole pleuthura of problems to go off. manifold replaced, It now has the unfortunate ability to suck way too much gas. I m talkin like 6 mile to the gallon when it got a respectable 21-25 hwy. What in the world is going on?
  • skjh892skjh892 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem currently with my 2001. when locking or unlocking the doors there seems to be a noise/vibration coming from the truck lcoks. Has this happened to anyone else? and what was the solution?
  • ott180ott180 Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is jessica and i am desperate for answers!! I've been thru a lot with my jeep and it doesnt seem to get better at all. About a year ago i lost power in my passenger side windows. Then i noticed the lights on the drivers side door would flick off and on and they still do. Then my shifting consule had days where it didnt light up. Just a few days ago i lost my radio and everything. But it came back on. THEN, my lights turn on when i swtich it to off and turn off when i switch it to on. My light dimming control no longer works either. 3 days ago my battery went dead and assuming it was old and add in the cold i wasnt surprised. I put another brand new battery in. Today i went to start it and the battery was dead again! I dont know what to do and i've tried pulling a code but i dont have any. Please someone help me!
  • cherokeeprncescherokeeprnces Member Posts: 8
    Over the past month I had also been experiencing what seems to be Electrical probs with my 2004 Jeep GC. We have checked all the fuses and had a mechanic look at it but to no avail. We still do not know what has caused the failure of all my power windows, airbag light stay lit, my inside lights no longer dim, driver's side door lock no longer works, and the list goes on and on. I have only owned this vehicle for 3 months and if i can not find out why this is happening then I will seek a legal remedy directly with the manufacturer. I posted a message but no one has, as of yet, been able to shed any light on the prob. The electrical issues seem to be a VERY common problem with the GC...which leads me to believe that there is a faulty chip or component that jeep should be recalling and replacing for all jeep GC owners.
  • rw2352ajrw2352aj Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2003 with 84,000 miles. It had 56,000 when I bought it June of 2006. I have not had any elec. problems. I have had air condition prob. with the latest being a leak in the condensing coil requiring a new coil. Pretty exp. I have also had the heater/AC door problem also very expensive. The oly good thing I can say for it is the tires seem to last a long time but that has nothing to do with Jeep that is the tire company.
    Read about the Toyota Highlander. That is my next SUV. I need a tow vehicle. The 2008 highlander is on an Avonlon frame. My wife has an Avalone and it has been a great great car. I have had several other Toyota's and that is where I get my best car life with no costs. I have had it with GM, Chrysler with a Plymouth Voyager, and now thier Jeep. I am done. Toyota has it together. Read Consumers report latest reports on Toyota's. All of them. Good luck with your elec. problems. If you are in Indiana I can recommend a good independant garage that employes a former Jeep Mech. He has helped me with my problems. By the way my heated seat on the drivers side does not work. Now tell me, how often do you run that thing and is is not working. I have never been able to get the two persons seat memory to work. If you are near the Lafayette, Kokomo, Montiecello, Peru, or Logansport area of Indiana let me know and I will give you the name and location of this independent garage. Bob
  • tmangantmangan Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem, any luck.
    I do not understand your question. "Any luck?" My Email explains what I did. Is there some other information you need from me?
  • hbaradhbarad Member Posts: 9
    I have odd problem with my turn signal, on a 2001 Grand Cherokee, which of course I can't duplicate at a repair shop.

Randomly, when I start the car, the left turn signal does not work. If I turn on the flasher for a few seconds, then turn on the left turn signal, then turn off the flashers, then turn signal (usually) starts working, for the rest of that trip.

Some observations:
    It's always the Left signal.
    Once it comes back, it works fine until the car is turned off.
    Will happen frequently for about a week, then not happen at all for 4-5 weeks.
    Seems to happen more frequently when the car is cold.
    The left turn signal has never stopped working during a trip.
    If it didn't work at start-up, it has never started working during a trip, if I don't turn on the flashers.
    Sometimes I have to do the flashers more than once, but eventually, it works.

This has been going on for over a year.

Any clues
  • smokebeesmokebee Member Posts: 30
    Sounds like you need to put her on the NASCAR tracks and break her in for left turns. I had to replace the flasher(9pin) to get my 99 to work. That flasher is a [non-permissible content removed] to remove and install and the Jeep dealer did not list it in the parts breakdown. Had to identify by number on switch. The flashers at Autozone(3pin) etc., will not work. Good luck
  • hbaradhbarad Member Posts: 9
    Might be easier to trade it in.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Based upon the feedback provided in the past 3800 or so posts - I'm taking the Jeep GC off my list of potential/recommended SUVs, despite the recommendation Consumer Report gave it. Clearly, it's not dependable. :lemon:
    The last consumers report I got did not show Jeep's recommended anywhere for these years.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Well you can read about anything on the internet and it will scare you from buying it. And any brand can have a lemon (just heard of one from a Honda minivan owner of all things, supposedly one of the best vehicles on the road ... it's mechanical, problems can happen). Granted those years of Jeep does not have the reputation of most Toyotas or Hondas - the 99-00s seemed to catch the most flak. As much as I enjoy Consumer Reports for a good second opinion, they have never favored many American built cars of any kind, many of which have been reliable.

But we owned an 01 JGC 4L Selectrac 4WD since new and just sold it to our son at 85000 miles because it HAS BEEN RELIABLE. It is sturdy, feels safe, goes through any weather situation. Many others will say that as well. Our mechanic says that engine/4wd combination is the best ever offered (too bad Chrysler quit making it although the post05 models are much more refined in handling & comfort). Yes we had 3 seat heaters replaced under warranty (the last did the trick, 5 yrs later no problems) and I had to replace a power window motor this summer, another known bug. But none of these would make me rate it unreliable.

We liked the 01 well enough we just bought a new JGC. JD Powers ratings for 07s in first 90 days is up as well. My only cut is Chrysler should be doing more to improve MPG, but I knew that going in & other than that I am very happy.
  • missdmissd Member Posts: 1
    I have, or should I say had the same problem. It cost me $295.00 to fix. I have a 2004 JGC, without about 43, 000 miles on it. All of a sudden the power locks and windows stopped working. I took it to the Jeep dealership. They figured out the problem. There is a a device inside the driver door that contains all of the wires that sends signals to the computer for the windows and locks. In my jeep, the two wires that control those functions were cut in half. They were not frayed, so what cut them I have no idea. I plan on contacting jeep. Afterall, how do they issue recalls, if they are unaware of the problem.
  • dcgrafixdcgrafix Member Posts: 4
    Greetings, I'm having an issue with my Grand Cherokee's door locks. They are making an awful squeeking sound when locking. They seem to be freezing up. I tried to access the locks to grease them, but gave up when it appeared that I would have to destroy the door panels to get there. My question is whether it is a mechanical or an electrical issue? The car is parked outside in the elements year round if that helps. It's darn cold in KC right now and the problem began about 2 weeks ago in one door and now it appears to have 'spread' to at least two other doors. It only squeeks when locking, not unlocking. And it's getting more and more difficult getting into the car by either key or remote. The locks are sticking.

Help!
  • forcetenforceten Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Happy Holidays.
    I have got an 05 GC with 58000.
    As I was driving an alarm showed up on the dash "service electric braking system"
    30 degree day clear with dry pavement.
    An Ideas?
    Thank
    Mark
  • mserot89sisamserot89sisa Member Posts: 8
    Hey man, i got a 2000 JGC and we had the same problem twice actually. First time was the back left door and that was about 2 years ago and just now the front right door is doing the same thing. My pops figured out that its the motor for the door and you just got to go to the Jeep dealership and buy the part and you can just install it yourself if you know how to take out the door. I've taken the back left door before to put to hook up my subs to my stock stereo and it was really easy. Just got to take out two screws and pretty much pop the door out from there. But other than that, that new motor should help the problem. If you need any other info let me know maybe i can help you take out the door panel if its the front one, i can easy tell you how to do the back ones. Hope that helps, take it easy

-Marc
  • palmtree1palmtree1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to replace the fuel door cable (its the one when you pull the lever to pop open the fuel door) I just bought the part, but I don't know where to begin because it's not in the repair manual.
  • maceman1maceman1 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2000 cherokee laredo when i drive on the highway as soon as i do 60mph it starts shaking does anyone know what that means ?
  • jhuckjhuck Member Posts: 17
    Depends on the shake. As simple as a wheel not balanced to axel to engine mount.