Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mserot89sisamserot89sisa Member Posts: 8
    yeah i got the same thing happening for my 00 JGC. Except it shakes when i press on the brake between 55-50 mph. Think its the same reason as for the shaking when accelerating?

-Marc
  • dakota6479dakota6479 Member Posts: 9
    Could be any number of things. Possibly a wheel out of balance, or may need front end alignment.
  • deratristarderatristar Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 JGC. When my tires need replacement, I tend to really notice a shaking from braking, especially from higher speeds. I just replaced mine again, and the problem is gone. How many miles are on your tires? Are they balanced? Did you lose a balance weight? How long since you had a front end alignment?

Sometimes, something as simple as a tire rotation will stop it from occuring.

Things to consider.
  • msjandminemsjandmine Member Posts: 5
    Am I suppose to have a catalytic converter on my car??? It does not have one and the check engine light is on with the code that my oxygen bank 1 sensor 2 is failing. Is is suppose to have one and could this be the reason my car gets crappy gas mileage?
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    All modern cars are suppose to have a catalytic converter to meet federal emissions standards. And yes there are two oxygen sensors unless you have bought your jeep in california. If you buy a haynes service manual it will show you were the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors are located. The reason you get bad MPGs is because the oxygen sensors can't tell the computer how to control the amount of fuel the cylinders receive, so the computer makes a guess and makes the fuel mixture rich (to much fuel).
  • msjandminemsjandmine Member Posts: 5
    Okay thank you -That means the idiot that had my car before me took it off and bypassed the catalytic converter. b/c there is not one there. So then the only thing I can do is take it to a muffler shop and have a catalytic converter installed correct?
    Why would they have taken the converter off in the first place?
  • big_pimpin_kbig_pimpin_k Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Cherokee, and it's been taking a few extra seconds to turn over and start lately. It's been going on for about a month now. I don't know if it's the starter or alternator, or what? Can someone help???
  • arewhyinoharewhyinoh Member Posts: 13
    Long shot here, but wife is expecting our 3rd next week! Need to get a vehicle with 3 rows of seats. Anyone have an employee choice burning a hole in their pocket yet for 2007. Going in to lease a Chrysler on Monday and would love to use it!
  • bkell42bkell42 Member Posts: 1
    2003 jeep that had the coil replaced and 100 mi later the jeep went
    dead. Towed to repair- wiring harness- on passenger
    side above wheel well - rubber coating rotted/destroyed- wires exposed and all
    touching - blowing fuses etc- having towed to Jeep
    dealer. The problem is my son is with the Jeep while
    traveling with college friends in PA and we live in
    MA.

Any thoughts on the cost to replace wiring? Not sure
    how this happened - maybe an animal ?? Any possible recalls?
  • smokebeesmokebee Member Posts: 30
    Hey friend---do not know cost----but, simply get a roll of proper size wire, electrical tape, and cut one wire at a time and splice the affected area of wire. Do this for each damaged wire. Color of wire will not matter as long as you do one at a time. Then tape a short piece of split clear plastic tubing(most Ace hardware stores carry this--you will have to split the tubing) over the group of spliced wires. Once you get
    her home you can redo the job with color coded wire if you wish--not necessary though as long as the repairs splices are solid. S Swann
  • rath64rath64 Member Posts: 1
    I can smell coolant inside the jeep, is it the heater core and is there a do it yourself book that I can get..

Help
  • efloreseflores Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the 2005 JGC Limited comes with a factory option for the Up Country Suspension (1"-2" lift, stiffer springs). I noticed at the dealership there are two sets of spring part numbers for front and rear, but the dealer could not tell me why. In addition to wanting to get rid of my very mushy suspension and make it tolerable for off road bumps, I need a bit more rear spring stiffness for towing. My 1996 JGC had a very nice factory up country suspension option which I'd like to have in my 2005 model. I do not want to deviate from factory options, though. I will consider, however, an aftermarket shock absorber in addition to stiffer/longer springs. Any suggestions for a middle of the road shock absorber for light offroading?
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    They may have removed the catalytic converter because the mfr versions are expensive and based on some engine code it was bad. You can get OEM equivalents from places like 1Aauto in the $100 range however. If you are in a state w/o inspections it may have snuck by, but I can't see why you'd want to pull one off. Take care of that engine, as I mentioned above in post #3861 it's one of the best ever offered as we had it in our 01 JGC ... started in -20F, doesn't burn a drop of oil.
  • skiboyskiboy Member Posts: 5
    2000 JGC with Quadra Trac II full time 4WD System; Wife said GC handling poorly in snow / ice, both rear wheels spin with no power at all to front; can put it in 4 low & have drive at all wheels, but don't want to run it in constant 4 low!! Anyone know how to trouble shoot this problem?? Any help is appreciated as soon as possible, already have 3' on the ground!

Thanks

Mike
    If everything underneath the snow is ice, the 4WD won't help much.
  • skijeep1skijeep1 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem this weekend and assumed that my Quadra Trac is not working. Bringing it in on Friday to have it checked. I was under the impression that I only needed 4 low if I had a tow. The car seemed to fish tail on the slightest snow.
  • taffy3taffy3 Member Posts: 26
    To make it go faster silly! Some Aussies came over to Britain (where I lived) and hired a Rover P96 as they drove the same at home, although they called theirs a P38 (not a plane) as it was only half the car it should have been. They asked me why the British version was much faster and the answer: ours didn't have a 'cat'. So leave it off if you can - goes like hell.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Without a dyno there's no way to really tell if leaving off the cat helps the hp. Maybe 1 hp gain over an aftermarket cat. See Import Tuner for their testing.

The other problem with going catless (besides polluting our air) is that it's illegal and you risk a big fine ($10k is what I heard) and possible impoundment of your car.
  • streifstreif Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the spark plugs on my jeep this past weekend for routine maintenance. I immediately began having a miss. I tried everything from taking out and putting back in all the spark plugs, replacing one plug because it looked a little burnt, and I am about to begin replacing the boots. I heard the coils were expensive so replacing these is my last resort. Along with the miss, since I replaced the spark plugs I get an awful shock every time I get out of my Jeep, my passengers get it too. The engine did not miss before and I did not get the shock before.

Any idea what I might have done wrong to cause this to happen and is there an inexpensive way to fix it right?
  • ivanthomasivanthomas Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem. Thank God I purchased the extended warranty. I had about 47,000 miles when it happened to me
    I own a 2001 JGC and the heated seats do not work. Purchased the extended warranty but the heated seats are not covered by the warranty. Go figure!
    Technically it is supposed to have a cat on it. However, they are not necessary for the engine to function properly. I took the cat off my 98 Ram not long after I bought it. Taking the cat off increases air flow and results in greater power. The check engine light only came on once for the O2 sensor, used a scan tool to remove the code and its never come on again. My truck actually gets better mileage with the cat gone. I plan to do the same to my 98 Grand Cherokee Limited when we need to replace the exhaust. Luckily we live in a state that doesn't require cat's.
    Federal law requires catalytic converters; your state may not check emissions but you're still risking fines and impoundment when they catch you. (link)

Not to mention that your perceived hp gain or mpg is probably minimal at best and you may in fact lose power and have worse mpg removing your cat (link).
  • jeeptechjeeptech Member Posts: 2
    could poss be a front or rear differential carrier bearings jeeps are famous for those proublems espacially if your tranny isnt slipping
  • jeeptechjeeptech Member Posts: 2
    you always have power at front wheels on your vechicle. do not use 4 low to drive in like you said it is only rated for like 8 mph. also the jeep when on slippery conditions when you turn the wheel iyll feel like its binding up this is also common
  • lsufan1lsufan1 Member Posts: 2
    This problem has come and gone over the past few months and it's back so I figure I'd try and find out how to fix it while it was acting up. But what happens is, 1, my battery doesn't hold a charge in cold weather. The battery is about a year old. Is it possible I may just have a bad cell? The alternator is new. 2, when I start it it dies immediately. It'll stay running but once I take my foot off the gas it'll die. Sometimes though it will run but idle low and sometimes die when I come to a stop. I thought maybe i could be the throttle position sensor so I put a new one in but that obviously wasn't the problem. If anyone has any idea I would really appreciate some advice.
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    Sorry for the long reply, my internet wasn't working. You better get a cat on it before the emissions check (unless you live in a state that doesn't have checks) but still recommend that you get it done for the environment.
    Did you buy the Chrysler ext warranty (service contract)? The new Added or Max care plans cover heated seats - I asked when I got added care on my 07 JGC 2 months ago. I had that plan on my 01 JGC and had the driver heater element replaced 3 times (2 under the ext warr, 1 prior under the 3/36) but now 3-4 years later no more failures thank goodness. I think the problem with that old style is it's easy to leave the switch on all the time, vs the new ones (and our Chrysler 300) have momentary switches that reset when you shut the car off (but they don't come one when your remote start the car to warm it up before your leave work like I did yesterday at 2 deg ... ah, I guess that would be just too cushy to have both hot air & a hot seat to plop into). I hope you get it resolved since rumour has it the brakes, window regulators and seat heaters are problem areas on these 99-02 models and there was a recall on 02 seat heaters due to fires as well - take a search through these forums to learn more and good luck.
    Yes I have the Max care warranty. The dealer said since it was an electrical item it wasn't covered. I sent an email to Chrysler Customer Care complaining that the seats weren't covered. Still waiting for a reply from them. Thanks for the info you supplied! Oh I have experienced the problems with the brakes, window regulators and seat heaters already. Wish you luck with your 07!
  • vijosephvijoseph Member Posts: 1
    1994 Jeep cherokee stalls out while driving I have to wait until it decides to start between 10-35 minutes
  • countrygirl113countrygirl113 Member Posts: 7
    i have a 98 jgc i had alot of small problems with it....battery cell dyin,sensors goin bad,brake booster goin bad,it would stall when i drove it but act right when three different mechanics drove it.......took it to the jeep dealership and they did a scan on it said it was a sensor,i replaced that and it did good for a few days.....then it started messin up again...i finally had to replace the computer on it......$400.00 to $700.00 but a friend of mine works at a salvage yard and had one for $75.00 i had already put about $2000.00 into it tryin to figure out what it was,between the sensors,brakes and battery it runs good now still has a small stutter once in awhile.....small things go wrong and make you want to rip your hair out.....i love my jeep and was ready to sell it i was at my wits end and had numerous postings on here tryin to figure it out and nobody had any ideas.......i could be at a stop light and it would stall but i could crank it back up and keep my foot on the gas and go so i know what you are goin through.......the computer only takes a few minutes to replace mine is on the firewall on the passenger side so it wasnt hard to do....but check a junkyard first before spendin alot of money on a new or refurbished one,if you cant find one at a junkyard go on ebay they have lots of them........if you cant find one send me an email and i will talk to a friend of mine and see if he can find one for you......countrygirl1169@yahoo.com........Good Luck..........Leslie
    I am sure you can get resolution via Chrysler and pretty much EVERYTHING is covered on that Max warranty other than wear and tear (belts, brake shoes) & maintenance stuff like fluid changes. And if it's even covered on the new Added care it's gotta be covered on Max (makes me question your dealer, or maybe I should question mine as I have not looked in the fine print but they told me on 300M and 07 JGC service contracts it would be covered!). You have experienced the typical 3 bugs in the older JGCs we did, but so far nothing else major since my kid has it now.

Good luck and yes at 2000 mi's no problems "outa da box" for our 07 4.7L. We will put approx 2500 mi on it later this month through Feb on a trip to central TX so I'll add to the MPG forum after that time as well - have just averaged 15.9 in probably 70/30 mostly City/hiway 700 miles but there has been almost daily remote start & warmup here in MN cold December, I am not expecting MPG miracles in these temps.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for some positive information from Chrysler, but I'm prepared for the worst! I will say getting the extended service plan from Chrysler was the best investment I could have made. After reading some of the postings its ashame that so many people opted not to get the extended warranty. I would like for my next vehicle to be a Jeep GC. Want a Hemi, but with the cost of fuel going up up up, the 4.7 L seems the better choice. I will continue to monitor your postings to see what kind experiences you have with your GC.
  • efloreseflores Member Posts: 3
    We had a similar problem intermittently with a 96 JGC, 5.2 L V-8. After much research and living with the problem for some time, we figured it was either the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors. Best to replace both of them at the same time, anyway. It solved the problem. If it is this, an OBD diagnostic (you can borrow a diagnostic tool from your local Kragen Auto Parts store) should capture a fault code for either the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Good luck! Ernie
    That's the problem, I have no power to the front! Rear spins and front do not engage! I changed out the TC fluid (yes-Mopar) this weekend and that did not help other than give a smoother shift into 4-low. Also, my OM says 4-low can be used in wet/loose conditions up to 35 mph!!
    So were you able to get your 4WD system checked out? Sounds like you have same problem as mine. I changed TC fluid but that did not help, another jeep forum says it is probably the "progressive coupling" in the TC and that is big $$$!!
    They found that my transfer case was empty of fluid but no leaks. The suspected that the vent tubes got clogged an blew out the case. They replaced the fluid ,cleaned out the vent tubes and tested and it look like it working. I didn't have any problem this weekend.
  • anstine1anstine1 Member Posts: 3
    Wife seems to think her 2003 Grand "bottoms out" over bumps. Is this a rear shock problem or are there struts and coils involved???How tough is it for Joe Average to replace them.Can someone talk me thru it??? Only 36k on this '03 but I did haul a ton of wood in it this past summer.
  • baumer1baumer1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm stumped. How do you remove and replace those lenses? Thanks
    rblake36@hotmail.com
    While waiting for responses from owners of older JGCs , check out this Edmunds Answer for an '04. Maybe things haven't changed?
  • jhuckjhuck Member Posts: 17
    For my 2000 JGC it was three screws just inside the door jam. I did break one bulb pulling while pulling it out so be careful with those quarter turns.
  • waterrightwaterright Member Posts: 5
    I'm replacing the shocks on my 2002 JGC Limited (AWD). I want to upgrade to the best road shock I can get. Any suggestions?
  • jmbjasillijmbjasilli Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I are the owners of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and recently the headlights and interior gauge lights have been flickering on and off for no apparent reason. We have brought it to 2 dealerships, which have not been able to solve the problem. They have said the computers are not showing a problem and our luck being what it is the flickering has not occurred when when the Jeep was in for service. Has anyone else heard of a problem like this before? Your help is much appreciated!!!
    I had this problem and it turned out to be a bad cell in my battery. I didn't beleive it when they told me but have not seen the problem again.
  • cherokeeprncescherokeeprnces Member Posts: 8
    It seems that electrical issues are somewhat common among owners of newer Jeep GCs. The interior lights no longer dimming was the beginning of the electrical probs...followed by all of the following suddenly quit working (one right after the other) my windows, cruise control, door locks, and the list. Jeep owners who I have talked to with similar problems havent been able to have them diagnosed by a mechanic or jeep dealer. This type of problem has to be some sort of short, bad relay, or bad chip in the system....but like you as of yet no one has been able to find the cause. My jeep is going back to the dealer today and if the problems cant be diagnosed or corrected they know they will be taking my vehicle back and I will be getting another vehicle that is not the same make or model. I wish you much luck with your jeep issue and wish I could offer you some insight!
  • moushamousha Member Posts: 1
    Hello ,...
    I have a problem with my jeep and i would like to know if it happened to you and wht to do ?suddenly my reverse in my car stopped working but the drive is working and the N is working so i would appreciate any help .
    thanks
  • mserot89sisamserot89sisa Member Posts: 8
    Hey everybody i've got a '00 JGC and it has the scratch guard type thing....I dont know the name of it but its like gray, im pretty sure you guys know now. Anyway thats been fading but when i recently washed my car i grabbed a flat head screw drive and a rag that was a moist and wrapped it around the screw driver. Then i started to rub the bumpers and it started coming off. It's hella hard on your arms and its just too much work for such little progress. Anybody now something i can maybe use or spray and clean it out and restore the color of it?

p.s. If you still dont know what im talking about. Its like a scratch guard that some jeeps come with. You either get all one color or you get a two tone type one with the guard.

Thanks for the help
  • copehead88copehead88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all my 97 Jeep GC just got a P1757 and i know it has something to do with the transmission...i was concidering a sollenoid or something but thruth is i dont know how to fix it....does anyone here have a clue as to what i should do

Thanks
  • smeags00smeags00 Member Posts: 1
    YES!! I am having the same problem!! Have you been able to get it fixed? It's back at the dealership for a 2nd time. It has been happening to me at night while driving on the freeway and its obviously an extremely hazaradous situation to be in.
  • jcc999jcc999 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get any answers to your oil pressure problem? We are having the same thing, just started. The Jeep garage wants to us to spend $675 to take off the oil pan and replace the oil pump. Seems as if they night do better than just try things with us paying, trying to figure it out.

Thanks.