Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    tuggajb,

You done good. :)

We left the thermostat out and ran some Prestone Cleaner ( Safe for all metals)through the system for about 20 minutes. . Drained and refilled with clear water 3 times. After the engine was good and cool we filled with clear water and started the engine, and let it run with the drain out and the bleed valve open while feeding water into the radiator, until the draining water was perfectly clear. It took quite a while to get the water clear. Just wanted to get all the cleaner out.

Installed the thermostat correctly, used a 50/50 mixture of Prestone and the gauge sits just under 210 degrees when warm. Like it is supposed to do.

FWIW, I'm not crazy about using cleaners in aluminum radiators, but this just seemed to really need it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kip
  • n0otron0otro Member Posts: 12
    Is there a fuel sensor on a 4.0L 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo?

Occasionally when I turn the car on, the fuel gauge will read Empty and it will give me the ding to signal that it's time to fill up. The problem is, there is definitely some gas in the car, and generally if you turn the car off, and turn it back on, it will give you the correct reading about how much gas is left.

I've just changed the oxygen sensor, the throttle position sensor, the Idle air control valve, and the ECM for a multitude of different problems(stalling), so it shouldn't be any of these parts.

What could the problem be?
  • torneytorney Member Posts: 3
    driver side window closed on its own as i was driving and now i get no response from any of the controls on the driver side door. controls on the other doors work as well as the remote control. is there a relay switch or fuse that controls the driver side door only
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    My jeep is a 97. The fuses should be listed inside your owner's manual and there should be a fuse for this function. I believe the fuse is for all power window/door lock modules. You will have to double check.

Assuming I am right, blown fuse cannot be reason because passenger door works. There is a microprocessor based control module inside your driver door. My recollection is that it cannot be repaired. It has to be replaced as an assembly. This type of part is typically available at a salvage yard local or on the Internet.

If you work on it yourself, be carefull when you disconnect the wiring harness. The connector will probably be difficult and if you pull on the wires you may damage the connector. Rubber gloves might make it easier to pull on it with your fingers and disconnect (-) of the battery before you work on it.
  • dlt2dlt2 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep was running fine on Saturday but yesterday when I went to drive it it wouldn't start. The motor tries to turn over but it won't ignite. Now of the gauges are working either. Hooked it to a battery charger and it still will not start any ideas?

DLT
  • mommytmhmommytmh Member Posts: 3
    My kids entered my car thru the tailgate. They unlocked the doors from the inside and the alarm went off. This has happened before, and I did what the manual said, use the key on the driverside door to open and the alarm went off. This time, that didn't happen. What do I do. I don't have a remote start, just the key. Please please help. Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try putting the key back in the door and turning it back and forth twice (or more).
  • wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    I have had this happen and once you open the door insert the key in the ignition and turn it on. Do not have to start it.
  • wolver1ne5167wolver1ne5167 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue with no remote too... I just open the door & start the truck... That usually does it. +<:?)
    I tried a few things that I read online and nothing seems to work. The security light stays on but the engine won't stay on. I guess I'll have it towed to my mechanic down the street. Bummer though, car maintenance wasn't in my budget this month!. Oh well.
  • joeyjojo8855joeyjojo8855 Member Posts: 2
    I have to replace the radiator in my 96 Grand Cherokee. Any ideas on how difficult this is? It seems to be an easy fix but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    when light stays on the key bfob has not been read

if you have a bunch of other keys on your key ring remove them and see i that dont work
    Apparently there is a problem with the cylinder lock on the drive side door. In order to disable the alarm and start the car, all I had to do was use the key in the passenger door. Just and FYI in case anyone has the same problem. Would have been nice if the dealership could have told me this.
  • ratt454ssratt454ss Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 99 JGC abd i found the broken black wire you mentioned here. I also spliced a longer peace or wire and soldered it insulated it with shrinkwrap and electrical tape. No change nothing works still, windows etc.... Did it short and fry something else now. I'm stumped!
  • cesarhernacesarherna Member Posts: 11
    Hello,
    I have a 2000 jgc with the part time light ON, I try moving the shift to all other positions and set it back in 2wd position and the light still ON, is any way to check if the car is really runing in 4wd part time don't matter if it is set to 2wd or see if the problem is just the part time switch?

Thank you for any information.
  • smokebeesmokebee Member Posts: 30
    Jack the rear wheels about an inch clear of the driveway. Crank her up put her in drive. If 4 wheel is on the front wheels will pull her off the jacks. Good luck--use care
    S Swann
    It could be the switch, but in my opinion, it is much more likely the cable is out of adjustment or the lever is not connected properly to the cable. Why ?

I have a 97 2wd with similar problem but with 2wd shift lever. The indicators on the shift lever don't line up. Moving the lever moves an orange plastic dial which is visible through cover with marks. No light, but mine is so far off you can barely see indicator when it is in Park. In your case moving the lever causes mechanical movement of the switch which turns on the light. Same concept. I bought my Jeep in 2000 and I guess over the years the cable stretches.

I looked at the cable adjustment procedure for mine and concluded it was not worth it. You have to dismantle the shift lever box. The cable from the shift lever goes into the top of the transmission. Using jack stands, it's hard to see up there while laying on your back. In my opinion, you really need a lift.

The info above should help you begin your investigation even if I am not 100% accurate. My apologies if I am way off target on this, but I would expect the switch to fail (i.e. light does not come on) if the problem was the switch.
  • virgil373virgil373 Member Posts: 3
    I recently had a blowout and had 4 new tires installed on my 1999 Grand Cherokee, Laredo. The tire place installed 245/75/R16--later I noticed that the previous tires were 245/70/R16. They assured me it would make no difference. Anybody disagree? Thanks much.
    wont hurt the tire is about halfinch wider at the tread should look better than the old ones have same size on my 2000 grand
  • virgil373virgil373 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. You are right, they do look better. Another question--while putting on the spare, my jack broke. Actually, the 2-inch metal piece that fits into the jack, at the end of the crank handle, snapped. Any idea where to get another?
  • uamesuames Member Posts: 1
    :) Is there any special brand or type of anti-freeze recommended for this vehice's coolant?
  • donstersjeepdonstersjeep Member Posts: 4
    I replaced the wiper switch (on steering column) and still didn't fix delay not working problem. You mentioned a "module" ???

Thanks again
  • donstersjeepdonstersjeep Member Posts: 4
    Wipers work fine on 'low', 'high' and 'wash' settings, but not on 'delay' setting(s). Wiring is okay and I (first) replaced the switch on the column but that didn't resolved problem.
    Anyone know whether it might be the 'Ignition Pulse Module' or the 'wiper motor'? I hear there's a circuit inside the motor that controls the 'parking' (including during
    delay cycles).

Thanks
  • jeep00jeep00 Member Posts: 1
    My brake light has gone out a few times...i had the bulb replaced and it worked for a couple of weeks. Now the brake light is out again and when i replaced it it caused the tai light to go out as well. I'm not sure if it's a short or a manufactural problem but i have seen several jeeps with the tail light out. what should i do?
    go to jeep and replace the bulb holders as the get hot in use and loose there spring contact pressure cost bout 8.00 to 10.00 bucks have replaced all mine
  • bubba38bubba38 Member Posts: 21
    you were right on paid 586.00 for ring n pinon plus seals and bearings included I installed new axles n cv joints also 130.00 for parts 75.00 for new brakes n rotors on the front just took for test drive and front left tire seems to be trying to grab at highway speeds herd a squeal like brakes locked up any ideas?
    take it back to where you hade brakes installed could have a (caleter) hanging up and draging
  • bubba38bubba38 Member Posts: 21
    you mean caliper thanks for your help I will take to shop tomorrow
  • tdad71302tdad71302 Member Posts: 18
    :confuse: Alright everybody. I really need help. My 95 JGC isn't starting. I've had a few people say that they think it's not getting any spark. Anyone have any ideas about what else it could be? The plugs, wires, and cap are all new. All the relays are fine. HELP!!!!
  • clipkarnclipkarn Member Posts: 20
    If it makes no attempt to start, you might try putting a timing light on it, crank it, and look for a spark indication. If you get a spark, the next is fuel. Fuel pump should be audible for a second or 2 back at the tank after turning the key to run. A fuel pressure check is more conclusive but you need "stuff" to make that test.
    Have had similar on my 97. Crankshaft Position Sensor is indicated. It's a [non-permissible content removed] to change unless you have little hands and arms. Don't try if you are on blood thinners. And the engine needs to be cool 'cause you are right on the rear end of the passenger side exhaust manifold. The 2 bolts had allen inside hex heads. I found the allen feature essential for getting a tool on the bolts. A socket just didn't have the space. Mine had dirty sensor contacts and seems a lot happier since being cleaned and reinstalled. Worth a shot.
    Sounds like worn out CV joints. New axle assemblies are cheap (Advance Auto Parts) and pretty easy to remove and replace. Be sure you have a big hammer and a sharp chisel to break them loose from the spindle supports. The CV joints and boots pull through the holes in the spindle supports. Less extra removal of stuff than it appears. Some good freeing solution like BG Enforce will reduce the number of hammer blows required for disassembly.

No guess on converting to 2 wheel.
    If the ground isn't really solid at the battery, all sorts of strange electric gremlins can appear. If you have original cables and they are in sound condition, really good cleaning and tightening may make the gremlins go away. If the cables are corroded or, even worse, after market jerry rigged, best replace with an OEM battery harness. I got one on line for about 135 bucks, but what a beauty. It's really a complete harness with all the original wrapping and custom fittings for Alternator, body grounds and starter. Takes more'n a few minutes to install, but helps a lot since voltage and grounds are critical for a computer controlled vehicle.
    I assume that when you turn the key, you hear the starter motor turning the motor. I have two suggestions for troubleshooting.

Check out harborfreight.com. I think you can buy a fuel pressure gauge for less than $30. I bought mine last year. Auto parts store usually wants at least $60. I have a 97 JGC. It has a test port on the fuel line near the engine. Looks like the little valve on your tires. The hose from the gauge screws onto it. Observe gauge while you are starting the car. If you don't have the test port, investigate further before buying a gauge. Buy or borrow a Haynes manual for info about your vehicle (about $20) to analyze what you measure.

If fuel pressure looks OK, you can buy an inexpensive tool at an auto parts store to check ignition. I have one. I forget what it's called. You check one ignition wire at a time. Remove ignition wire from plug and put it on the test tool. In low light or a shadow you should be able to observe spark on the test tool when you start the engine. You can verify that each plug should be firing when you start the engine, assuming the spark plug is OK.

Good Luck.
  • tdad71302tdad71302 Member Posts: 18
    it turns but it just won't kick over. it's getting fuel. cuz we have taken the cap off the fuel rail and fuel comes out.
    crank pos senser
    The reply about a fuel pressure gauge is good gouge. If the pressure is not high enough, your injectors won't function properly.
    Also, the one who said you might have a failed crankshaft position sensor could have a good point. If that puppy aint workin, the engine doesn't know when or where to direct spark or apply fuel. If it's bad but not gone, the engine may sort of try to start, but it won't and it'll sputter, backfire through the intake, and so on without running. You may be able to remove, clean and reinstall the sensor. Be advised it's a bit of a chore because it fits into the engine block on the passenger side right behind the exhaust manifold. Very limited space to work.
    Long shot---are you sure you are usning the correct key? The valet key usually starts it but will not keep running. Use your spare set and try it.
    Good luck
  • my77gmcmy77gmc Member Posts: 3
    i bought a 91 cherokee limited its in fairly decent shape overall, but the oil pump failed, according to the previous owner. i checked compression and was within limits according to the manual, changed the oil and it doesnt knock at all, so i went ahead n bought it. got the new oil pump in today n while the pan was off i got a good look at the cam n it doesnt look like its gotten hot and its not worn uneven or anything. so basically i cant see any damage so far from the oil pump failure, is there anything else i should look at?

when i picked up the new oil pump one of the options was a high volume pump that had a note that said its for cherokees with s in the vin for the engine code. mine has an s, but the guy said it didnt require it it was just an option. so i get home n spent the afternoon dropping the pan n changing the pump, n when i get in and start it up the oil pressure guage stays pretty much arround the line between 0 n 40 doesnt go up or down more than 1/16" while driving. the manual says oil pressure should be 37 psi at 1600rpm, so is the high volume pump required? or is everything worn out to the point theres no oil pressure? id think it would be knocking at that point???

thanx for ur help in advance
    I assume you removed all sludge from oil pan and bottom of engine. If not, go back. Also, make sure the screen on the inlet tube is not clogged. You could still have engine sludge affecting oil pressure. Inspect the oil pan. If there is any sign of paint flaking, replace it.

To be absolutely sure of the situation do the following: If inline engine, remove valve covers. For a v engine, remove input manifold. This is the only way to see if your engine is full of sludge. If it is heavily sludged, cleaning is tedious but it can be done. But if heavy, it has to be physically cleaned before flushing it Put liquid Gunk engine oil flush in a spray bottle. Won't hurt the engine at all.

Or you can hope its not heavy and treat and hope without opening it up.

After you re-assemble, flush it with Gunk engine oil flush(or similar product) per instructions on bottle.

It's hard work. Even if you didn't find heavy sludge during inspection I would still treat it at least once. After you change your oil, drive it 100 miles and then examine the dipstick. The oil should only be discolored a little. If it's black, then you still have sludge. If it continues to be black and you didn't open it up, you probably have heavy sludge.

After the oil starts to look clean, put a high-performance oil filter (Mobil 1 ?) in it. It improves the flow.

With the oil clean, new pump and hi performance filter you should see some improvement. As a last resort, try replacing the oil pressure sensor if it's not big $ or too difficult. I would not change the sensor until I completed all the cleaning.

If you like the car, you can't lose by cleaning the oil delivery system. If oil pressure improves during test drive, but then returns to previous level, it means you are still clogging. You may have to flush again. I have a 96 Ford Windstar. I had to physically clean it and then flush about 4 times to get oil pressure lilght to go out.

If engine oil is clean, new pump, hi performance filter, and sensor and you still have oil pressure problem, I would measure voltage at oil sensor to verify it's not a gauge problem. Or you may want to measure it first. You may need Chrysler shop manual to to analyze what you measure.
  • 30583058 Member Posts: 3
    I just installed rear brake pads, one rear rotor, and one rear caliper. the caliper instruction reads....be certain to adjust parking brake after installation of new caliper. what's the need for this....and if necessary how do i adjust emergency brake since my emergency doesn't hold very well any way. thanks!

Stu
  • 30583058 Member Posts: 3
    I just installed rear brake pads, one rear rotor, and one rear caliper. the caliper instruction reads....be certain to adjust parking brake after installation of new caliper. what's the need for this....and if necessary how do i adjust emergency brake since my emergency doesn't hold very well any way. thanks!

Stu
    there is a little hole on the bottom of the rear backing plate that you use a brake adjusting spoon to adjust the shoes
  • my77gmcmy77gmc Member Posts: 3
    i dont have the alarm remote for my 91 cherokee n when i replaced the battery the alarm went off, i tried putting the key in n trying to start it, but now it wont start. is the alarm keeping the struck from running? it seems like it wants to start , even does sometimes but imediately dies.
  • car1615car1615 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '03 that now has the same problem. Let me know if you have a solution... thx
  • auntdubbsauntdubbs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 jeep cherokee 150000 miles. Everything excellent on it except for the transmission. What can I do to sell it without having to sell it for scrap?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Prepping Your Used Vehicle for Sale may be helpful along with Pricing my used vehicle for private sale.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bearjblbearjbl Member Posts: 1
    hey guys i lost my owners manual and was trying to figure out which fuse is the one to take out to have the interior lights stay off when i open the door. i have a 2001 4 door jeep cherokee sport. any help appreciated, fire away!
  • neb1997neb1997 Member Posts: 6
    Did you resolve this issue? My 97 cherokee sport has the same issue exactly. It's as though you are describing my drive home from the store tonight. If you did resolve, can you pass the info on? Thanks in advance.
    hort of being specific----open the door and pull small amperage fuses one at a time until the light goes out. Bingo that is the on. Of course some other lights may be affected as well so U will need to check the other lights.

In the old days when I was young and courting my girl in our 39 Dodge I simply drilled a short piece of metal, attached it to the door switch and folded it over the switch pin when I had the door open. Worked for me.