Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    If a person needed to replace the evaporator that is located under the dash on a 93 jeep GC is that something a person good with tools can do or does it require some sort of special tools and special knowledge?
  • lynnshynnelynnshynne Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. When I am driving on the highway at speeds of 60 mph or higher, I hear a faint, pulsing whine coming from the front end of the jeep, but the noise stops as soon as a take my foot off of the gas peddle. It is not a really loud noise, it's more of an annoying one. Any ideas? Please help!
  • smokebeesmokebee Member Posts: 30
    At the bottam of the heater/ac housing located just above the foot area on the pass side the plastic enclosure has a sort of "V" at the left bottam. This is the drain trough. Open the hood --on pass side at the firewall looking down toward the right front wheel control arm---and above the starter solenoid you will see a short plastic pipe sticking out of the firewall. That is the drain pipe.
    A bug could have built a nest inside and stopped the water flow. Use a piece of wire and stick it in the pipe and twist it around to loosen the debris.
    Good luck,
    S Swann
  • MossstoneMossstone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee 4.7L with Quadratrac. I have noticed a rattle coming from both front wheel wells when driving on rough pavement. Any ideas what may be causing this?
  • cgarmon001cgarmon001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 JGC that i bought this past summer. The check engine light came on and I took it to adavance auto parts and the guy told me it was just the gas cap that needed to be replaced. He also said that it would take a couple of days of the light to go off. Is this true?

Also, my jgc has started burning gas like crazy. I drove about 15 miles today and it said I used about 45 miles worth of gas? How can I improve the gas mileage?
  • jake82jake82 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep just lost all spark, I so I replaced to Coil but still no spark, So I ran all the Diagnostic checks in the hyenas manual, I was getting a ground out of the crank shaft sensors, So I replaced to PCM, Still nothing, I don't know if this matters or not but a few weeks prier to it dying I replaced the fuel pump/ fuel filters/ fuel lines, put in a Panasonic after market radio??
  • russ543russ543 Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to fix my sons 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its has an inline 6 cylinder. When in park and giving gas it runs and sounds fine for about 3 seconds then starts to hesitate etc. In gear it runs rough and can only get it to about 40 mph.

Just had the plugs replaced

Thanks in advance!
  • trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    Possibly the TPS or a clogged fuel line/filter?
  • russ543russ543 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry can you tell me what TPS is??
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    You would be amazed at how that affects the engine. If the fuel pressure is down the computer goes nuts. Simple to fix and even if it is not the problem it probable needs to be done.
  • grabber7grabber7 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 JGC 4x2 3.7l V6 and would like to know how to replace the water pump.
  • firefighterjoefirefighterjoe Member Posts: 3
    The auto parts guy is correct. If it indeed is your gas cap. But there is other things it could be as well. If he pulled your codes he probably got a code that means your fuel vapor return has a small leak. which is a gas cap most of the time, but not always.

now this is why i say he is not correct, Your statement about how your getting really bad fuel mileage leads me to say that you have a egr valve problem, which someone with limited knowledge might read as a gas cap malfunction. a bad EGR valve will cause loss of fuel mileage, as well as a running problem that is sometimes hard to notice. do yourself some good and take it to a real shop.

FYI.. in the case of a bad gas cap, most of the time you can fix the problem for free, take a rag with a little fuel on it and rub the dirt and grime off the rubber seal and off the mating surface on the fill tube about once a month. as for the check engine light you dont have to wait for days for the light to go off, just take the car battery out for 30 seconds, reset your radio to the stations you like, and reset your clock.. Check engine light is no longer a bother.. hope this helps
  • firefighterjoefirefighterjoe Member Posts: 3
    honeslty, not to make it sound like im putting you down, but you need to have a technician fix your jeep. replacement of water pumps are not what they used to be. You can damage your motor very badly if it is not done proper
  • pole2pole2 Member Posts: 17
    I need shop service manual for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 with 3.l CRD diesel engine.
    Anybody know were can I buy it. (E bay only offer with gasoline engine).
    Tahnk you Wojtek
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    probly have to buy right from jeep
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Give Online Repair Manuals a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • shinnbone12shinnbone12 Member Posts: 1
    hey russ, your problem sounds like a fuel pressure regulator, had the same problem
  • louieco4louieco4 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 grand cherokee with the 4.7 jus had the timing chain replaced ran fine for about 60 miles after i got it back started throwing a p0340 i replaced the cam shaft sensor twice and the pcm was wondering if someone would know wat else could be wrong it wont start at all just will crank
  • quietstorm242quietstorm242 Member Posts: 3
    My problem is that everytime i would drive or just stay idle for a while in traffic the RPM gage is below 1 and it seems as if its gonna shut off and one point it did. The engine light will come on some days and then other days it wouldnt..The eclamation light neva goes off. I had it serviced already changing all the spark plugs air filters and oil but the problem still continue, plus it burns gas like hell. I really need some idea as to wat may seems to be the problem please thank you.
  • mr_smithmr_smith Member Posts: 22
    Damn....welcome to the club, the same thing happens to me. I have a 2006 JGC laredo. From time to time at red lights or at a drive thrus, my RPMs will go below 1 and the engine sputters but mine hasn't died yet.
  • 5moremiles5moremiles Member Posts: 2
    I have a 4.7 that was knocking at 2000+ RPMs, was told to replace main bearings, I did so, the main bearings had no sign of wear, however as i Rotated the crank during removal of the first bearing, both of the thrust bearings fell out, upon visual inspection, both thrust bearings have signs of wear and metal gouging. Is this my problem, and what is a thrust bearing in an engine for?
  • 5moremiles5moremiles Member Posts: 2
    I don't know about the 2006, but my 99 was doing that, and after going through throttle body, fuel filter, and tune up, I was told to replace camshaft sensor, I did with great success, did the job!
  • loosenutloosenut Member Posts: 165
    -a thrust bearing-ifin i demember korectlee(sorry,my poor attempt at humor),-ANYWAY; is to keep the crankshaft-or camshaft- from moving forward or back-front to rear,if that's the bearing i'm thinking of..
    -the last time i dealt with a thrust bearing was in my -64 air cooled bug..in that motor,they had what amounted to washers that went behind the flywheel..you'd stack them in there,till the shaft only moved about .003 -thousants-cause heat expands-etc..
    ---i could be wrong..also,haven't looked into how a thrust bearing sits in my jeep engine,or how to service/replace it..good luck ! ;)
    when gas hit 4 bucks,got a great deal on this old jeep..
    i've fixed the broken windows(pax side 1/4 ,and front door glass),-ever since i've had it,the rear axle "whines",but hasn't gotten any louder..i think it's the pax side bearing,but-of corse-every service dept wants two grand to rebuild it,witch i feel is overkill if the only thing really wrong is that bearing..
    --anyone else out there in cyberspace had a similar expierience with that series-all time-all wheel drive,aluminim casing-dana 44?
    -also,when changing the back parking brake-the wear pattern on the shoes was wierd,like the axle wasn't setting in the right place..
    --ain't got money to waste-as this thing's only getting 12-14 m.p.g.at best,and the tank is always hungry,so i don't need to throw away money i aint got..
    --anyone else had this problem? :sick:
  • a72rose2a72rose2 Member Posts: 4
    i have an 99 grand Cherokee where to start
    1. it falls flat on its face getting on the highway and when does go it feels like your being thrown into the next gear have had problems with it sputtering and feels like it not getting fuel/ not sure/ it has 118000 miles
    2 air bag light dinging at me was every 5 10 minutes now every minute not sure where to look to even begin to fix this
    3 does not like to start in the winter i have and electric start and it works good but if the weather is cold it really doesn't want to start with the key either annoying in winter!! :cry: :confuse:
  • pole2pole2 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Everybody
    My Grand Cherokee Jeep with diesel 3.0l CRD engine is equip with Mopar Vehicle Remote Start System.Recently system stop working. It is mean it start all procedures ( turn radio on, adjust seat, turn lights, by the end honk two times) but does not ignite the engine. Anybody can help ?
    as far as running-sounds like a plugged catylitic converter or muffler..also,try putting marathon premium in it for winter..that cheap crap that smells more like kerosene than gas is why you get to tune it up twice as often as i do --that 10/20 cents per gal doesn't add up to mutch savings when ya figure in things like that..ya get what ya pay for..bla-bla..
    --seriously,try a good thorough tune up..probably hasn't been done since new..ya gots ta do th maintenence on em,or they run like--that-till they leave you walking to the next exit!!
  • ghost_oneghost_one Member Posts: 11
    If you have fuel and spark at the cylinders, then I would have the "timing rechecked" to see that its on spec,
  • ghost_oneghost_one Member Posts: 11
    If you have the 4.7 engine, try having the throttle body cleaned, this causes low idle and stalling, (known problem).
  • placesinfranceplacesinfrance Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I need some serious help!! :mad:

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L petrol straight 6, now I have been suffering with a loud tapping noise that I would normally say is the tappets, but this only happens when the engine is cold then gets louder then just stops when the engine warms up, the tapping does not fade away, it just stops dead!! like a switch has turned on! got to add that you do not hear this when you 1st start up, only after a few seconds (10-15) the tapping starts.

But also when the engine is warm, you can hear this tapping (not as loud) in cycles, see if i can put this in to words!! the tapping starts off softly then builds in loudness, then just stops, again like a switch has tripped, then it does this again and again!!

Have had this checked by Chrysler - !!!! no help yet!!

Can anyone HELP!
    Martin
  • elduqueelduque Member Posts: 1
    Wife's car. Mentioned it was running better than usual the other day (for reasons unknown); then, said she heard a very loud noise from under the center of the car....not a bang (like a backfire), but more of a 'hit hard with a hammer' sound. Car immediately goes to somewhat sluggish running with 'check engine' light now on. Now, it shifts hard...slips a bit...when auto tranny is shifting from first to second.
    I thought maybe bad gas at first, but she said the big 'wham' noise was definitely not a backfire. I looked under the car for anything obvious (I'm not a mechanic), and noticed that the rear part of the drive shaft had possibly come loose (slipped out) a half inch or so. Just making this observation from seeing where the shaft was shiney....then dirty like you might normally see.
    Anyone have ideas? Sorry so vague about this, but that's all I know at this point. It's a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with 111k miles. Cars starts fine, but runs kind of weak...no passing gear etc, like it lost compression, maybe. Seems like a tranny related problem, but I don't know.
    Thanks. I appreciate any input.
  • 2survive2survive Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe how many people have written in about the stalling problem with their Jeeps. Wish I had thought to find this site about a year ago - before we replaced several parts - due to the mechanic "not seeing the problem" while it was happening. I told my husband what I had found out about people replacing the crank shaft sensor - and he called the place who had done all the work last year that didn't fix the problem. One guy tells him "oh, that's a common problem with Jeeps." Well, we put the Jeep in the shop (an almost one hour ordeal to get the Jeep TO the shop that was less than 15 minutes away - because it KEPT STALLING and I missed Grey's Anatomy, too :( - and the mechanic calls him this afternoon to tell him that the computer is saying the CRANKSHAFT itself needs to be replaced and that in the 8 years he has worked at this location, he's not heard of replacing the crank shaft sensor ever!!!!????? Personally, I think it's bull - we're getting the same old thing - "it's running just fine"...but I'd much rather try to replace a quoted $75 part (includes labor) than a probably $500 part. Sure hope this works!!
  • dayneseditzdayneseditz Member Posts: 5
    Well i start out in the morning by backing out my drive then put it into drive and when i pull out my jgc is in 2nd gear not 1st half to shut car off and restart then everything is normal but still acts up every once and a while. Can anyone tell me i dont half to spend 1200 on a new trans or just a easy fix need to fix this asap it getting to me really bad thanks dayne. If u can email me i can check that faster

dayneseditz@hotmail.com
    what weight-(5w20?-1w30/40? )..whenever i start hearing scary noises-especially in the lower crankshaft area,i think the oil is too light..
    -once had a ford aerostar,with a 3.0,started "knocking",while using "multi-weight"oil(10-w-30),..started using "racing oil,a -sae 50-,no longer heard the noise,and that engine lasted me another two years/with a total 160.000 miles. sold it to someone who needed it that bad,and i DID tell them about the noise,and what i did,so maybe it'd last them for a while..

--today's oils,are thinner there wasn't even a 5w-oil available back in the -70's..don't use that-nearly diesel oil in your crankcase !..the auto makers -in their effort to sell you to sell you a new car,recomend you use that garbage,so you'll need a new engine-and probably just go ahead and get a new car-well,before the economy went "around the bowl,and down the hole",it kinda worked..
    --sorry about going off on a tangent,but- try the heavier oil-change the filter,see if the oil pressure gauge drops when you hear the noise,also,maybe check and make shure your not just low on oil??..
    --put some "friction proffing" stuff in it(slick 50-z-max-etc..)
    --take care of your engine-and it will take care of you-maybe..
    --good luck !
    -sounds electrical..check and make shure battery terminals are clean..after that,i'd look for a loose engine ground wire-maybe even on the power control module-the main computer for the car..,but probably something vibrated loose.. try taking it to a auto parts place-and see if any "trouble codes" show up with their tester..
    --my-98 gcl just started showing a empty tank-when i knew i had at least 1/4-even th "low fuel" lite came on..
    was still running,so drove home-while smelling for "burning wires"(none-thank god !)..mext day,my 1/4 tank was back-and no lo fuel lite..put some in anyway-just to see if needle moved-it did..
    guess this is one of those "bugs" that make owning a complicated piece of--..--gear sutch fun..especially now-when all that stuff is getting old..
    -----don't ever want to find out-but wonder if the airbags would deploy?after twenty years??..makes you think..makes me drive better -where i shouldn't need them..nice and easy..
    i would try the crank sencor as the magnets that control the crank sencor are perminat and the only whay that they can getoff is to have the crank brake or bolts to fly wheel come loose (if thwat happened you would hear a hole bunch of noise ubder your jeep)
  • clipkarnclipkarn Member Posts: 20
    The crankshaft position sensor is a fail item. It's a challenge to get at, but can be done as long as you have an extended tool set. When that gadget isn't working right, the engine barely runs.
  • cacolfercacolfer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited edition that has about 173000 miles on it when I start it it revs up to or over 2 rpms and then it takes almost a minute for it to rev back down. Also it has a ticking in the engine at all times I was told once that it could be a collasped lifter? Can you help me figure out what I need to do to fix this
    bad tps
  • shellyb88shellyb88 Member Posts: 1
    My son drives a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. When he is driving under 50 mph and hits a pothole or blemish in the road, his right front wheel will violently shake, the vehicle jerks to the right and looks like the wheel is about to fall off. If he reduces speed, the wheel will correct itself. We've replaced the gear box and stabilizing kit. The ball joints are slightly loose but our mechanic says not enough to cause the wheel malfunction. Mechanic is out of ideas. Please help.
  • ndancossendancosse Member Posts: 1
    Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a 1994 Grand Cherkoee,4.0 straight 6 Auto 4WD.

I have no spark, No fuel.
    when i turn key over ,the check engine light doesnt even come on as normal when you usually turn key over and "dummy" lights test i guess ...where all console lights come on for a second.

Ive changed crank sensor,cam sensor,relays related to this stuff ...The reason i changed relays was ..i would hear a clicking noise in the box containing all the relays it starts as a slow clicking noise then the check engine light would eventually come on and the clicking would stop ..

If the Check engine light comes on ... the truck would start. and the code for crank sensor would come on .. i changed the crank sensor and still nothing ...

At 1st the truck wouldnt start at temperatures below 50 degrees but now wont start at all ...

PLEASE HELP ..I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO WORK ON OR CHECK NEXT!
    check "u-joints" going to the front axle..i've heard this is the cure for the "death wobble"..
    "fusable link" is where i'd check..the large wires going to the starter have smaller wires coming from it-with this thinner gauge wire-designed to burn through b4 your entire electrical system melts..
    -the way to check-is to -tug-on the wire..if it dfeels like you'r only pulling the plastic coating-rather than wire-there is your problem..
    ---WARNING---
    to get it home,you can put a heavier wire on there-but repair it with fusable linl..and mt personal prefrence-is solder and shrink tube-right down by the starter...test it with a testr light.poke a hole through insulation-to contact wire,and see if you have power..go up the same wire about a foot,and test again..ifd you get power in one place,and not up the kline-there is your problem. !
    --when fusable links go out-it usually means you have a short somewhere,and you get to test it-unplug diffrent harnesses(lights-a/c)stuff like that-till you get it to do it again..inspect closley-and find damaged wire,then fix it..unless you want to add to your oproblems by doing bad-cheap fixes-use solder and shrink tube..that is the best fix,not just twisting wires together..that will get you off the side of the road,but will fail soon..please--fix it right...and save yourself problerms..
    --loose nut-behind the wheel !((you know..the madman with his foot to the floor..)the mecanic friends used to say that's what's wrong with my car..)just to explain my username..
    --best of luck!
  • crapjeepcrapjeep Member Posts: 1
    i just recently started having problems with my tail light. i went to the auto parts store and after replacing the Bulb, they told me it might be the circuit board. or i may need to replace the whole tail light. i've tried to find a circuit board on the internet but i cant. it has 4 tabs on the circuit board so it must come off. how may i fix the problewm before spending lots of $$$ . please help Thanks
    befor i would replace the tail light i would go to the jeep dealer and buy the bulb holders as the heat from the bulb makes the contacts weak and then they dont make contact the bull holders rae bout 5or 6 bucks cheaper than tail light assmbly
    i agree wit tugabug,try th cheaper options first,and yea,the heat-especially break light bulbs,can melt those plastic sockets..try bending the tabs,so they'll contact the bulb better...get a simple"light up" circut tester,and see if there's power back there--before buying circut boards..,and ALWAYS use the non-conductive grease on those bulbs..moisture corrodes contacts..try scraping them clean also..
    --good luck!
  • abehisy08abehisy08 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with an in dash navigation system. The navigation started reading disc error and now only turns on for a moment when it is really cold out. As soon as the car warms up it turns off and goes black. I cant even use the unit to change radio stations. Is this fixable? and where would I have it fixed? :(
  • indianajamesindianajames Member Posts: 10
    Is it possible to change a 249J transfer box to a 242J on a 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited?

If so, are there any modifications needed on the new box?
    --sounds like a real head scratcher..
    if the auto makers were REALLY interested about customer service,they'd have a inter-company contest--and see who could diagnose-and fix really challanging problems like that, and have a big bonus check for the most talented! ? but-untill then,..find out who'se system your nav system that is,and see if they have any good ideas..
    --other than that-get the BODY SERVICE MANUAL-for your car !..if you plan on keeping it -till th wheels fall off,that will be a invaluable book! -cause it was written-by the same people who built the car ! they might know something the others don't!