Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jbf5jbf5 Member Posts: 32
    Can anyone recommend a reliable independent Jeep mechanic in the D.C. suburbs? (Preferably Northern, VA.) I have a '96 GCL 4wd that's approaching its 60k mile service.

Also, can any '96 GCL owners give me a sense of what kind of repairs and maintenance you ran into around 60k miles? I go pretty easy on the Jeep - almost never offroad, mostly highway commuting.

Many thanks.

JB
  • supershootersupershooter Member Posts: 2
    hello,
      I purchased a 1995 jgc laredo two weeks ago and it is in great condition. I found a repo paper in the glove box and called the former owner. He said the vehicle would just cut off while driving. I hadn't had this problem untill last night. I was driving along at 30-40 mph and it just quit for about 15 seconds. Then it just started again. The tach went down when it quit and no idiot lights came on during the time frame.
      I'm no mechanic, and am just trying to figure out what it could be. It has the I6 engine and 2wd. Could it be electrical, or fuel pump? Any help would be appreciated. It has only done this once so far, but has me worried..
     Thanks,
    Ken
  • txun3310txun3310 Member Posts: 1
    At 43000 miles, my'99 JGC was in for state insp.;dealer said rear pinion seal, transfer case output seal and both rear axle/differential seals were leaking. Luckily, covered under extended warranty. Not covered was mandated replacement of rear brake pads and shoes due to purported contamination from leaks. Brakes had only 6,000 miles on them since replacement. Anyone w/this history? Anyone suggest cause of this curious set of failures? Anyone suggest whether corp. will reimburse for brakes altho' extended warranty clearly says brakes not covered? Vehicle has never been off-road; but does come in handy on my gravel driveway in Maine winters.
  • 98jettavr698jettavr6 Member Posts: 47
    I'm having a slight problem with my steering wheel-mounted audio controls. The left control that allows one to seek for new stations and quickly toggle between presets is malfunctioning. Instead of allowing me to toggle, the preset button, more often than not, will cause the radio to seek for another station. Is there a simple fix for this (i.e., a shot of WD40 into the switch), or should I reconcile myself to have the dealer replace the switch? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I occasionally have that problem in my minivan (Ford made switch I think). I hit the volume but the station changes. It's intermittent so I've been ignoring it, but I suspect it's just some dirt on the contacts that I could fix by removing the switch cover and blowing stuff out.

My radio controls are on the edge of the wheel, not built into it; yours may be a pain to get to. Let us know if you figure out a solution.

Steve, Host
    I've found a solution on the Internet (http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm) in the way of directions on changing the switch altogether, but I don't feel like testing my mechanical ability. The swith is only $15 retail, so it would be more of a time investment than anything else. I'll try blowing some air into the switch first.

Also, if I may, the above-mentioned site is a great resource for WJ owners. There are detailed instructions and information on almost any part of the WJ. I've also e.mailed the site administrator a couple times for things I could not find on the site, & he responded promptly with an answer.
    I wouldn't want to mess around anywhere near the airbag stuff myself. My setup is different and more accessible, but it doesn't happen often enough to bug me try to fix mine anytime soon. Nice net resource you found. Good luck fixing yours.

Steve, Host
  • gerryk1gerryk1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and am taking it in next week for 6,000 mile service. The heater blows hot air, sometimes, then cool air, and the a/c blows warm air.(feels like the the vents are blowing air)I know from experience that when I pick up my jeep they will tell me that nothing is wrong, because they are "unable to duplicate" the problem. That must be their favorite saying. Can anyone help me?
  • boston135boston135 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a used 2002 JGC with 18,000 in February. I knew I was going to have problems with this car

1. Failed MA fuel emissions. Purchased the car in NH. Brought the car back to dealership two hours away in NH to correct problem. Head mechanic said MA inspection station failed it wrong. How do you "fail" a car wrong??!! Dealership found car had gas leak

2. The car starts rightup in the morning. However, if the car is shut off for more than 15 minutes and you go back to start it...it cranks several times before starting. Brought to a local jeep dealership that replaced the fuel pump. Still has the same problem. Second attempt to fix it...dealership thought it might be one of the fuel injectors leaking causing it to "flood" still has not solved the problem...Dealership has now called Chrysler at this point to see if anything like this has happened on the 2002's..They are at a loss for what it is.

3. Driver's side has annoying knocking/popping noise that appears to come from steering column.
    Dealership can pinpoint what that is either.

4. Still waiting for the repair to correct the ticking noise from engine. At least there was a service bulletin on that problem.

I can't even go back to the used lemon law because NH does not cover used cars. Does anyone know since I live in MA that I would be covered under MA laws?

If I go to trade in in now..I will probably lose a few thousand dollars and how I am going to trade in a car that probably won't start right up when they take it for a test drive??

Never will buy a Jeep again..looking for a nice reliable Toyota!
  • edavidson3edavidson3 Member Posts: 2
    We've just bought a 2004 JGC Limited with dual climate control. A/C cycles on and off every few seconds making distinct hissing noise. Dealer agrees that sound unacceptable -- checked with jeep tech support. Totally new control system and jeep says working as designed. Dealer unhappy with response as am I. Cannot agree that $33,000 premium vehicle should sound like old refrigerator cycling on and off every few seconds. Anyone else note the noise and your dealer experience?
  • capneportcapneport Member Posts: 1
    I cannot say that I had as many problems with My '98 JGC as others have had but I had enough to advise against the purchase of a JGC. I had the rotor problem of course and some other annoyances, however the big bite in the rear was when I needed the rear axle replaced at 63,000. I drove the car on the highway only, never took the car off the road. When I spoke to Mr. Jeep about it they said, in essence, "tough cookies sunshine"
    I traded it in for a toyota highlander. What a great car - I have just 5k miles on it and the honeymoon is still going strong. For my use of highway driving only, I recommend the highlander, the MDX or the Pilot.
    You can check for recalls (and TSBs) in The Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host
    I bought my '99 JGC used (@ 44K miles). Someone suggested to me that I register with Jeep corporate offices as the new owner, so that I will be notified of future recalls and TSBs. Also, I want a list of recall/TSB work that has already been done on the vehicle. Does anyone know how/where I can contact Jeep/Chrysler to register as the new owner and get service information on the vehicle?

Thanks.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I found the following contact info on jeepunpaved.com. They should be able to get you the info you need. Or your local dealer should be able to tell you what to do...IIFC there might be a form in the owner's manual you can send in, if that came with the vehicle.

Customer Assistance - United States

Telephone: 1-800-992-1997
    M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM
    All Time Zones

Mail: P.O. Box 21-8004
    Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Loaded Limited with Quadro-Trac. 21,000 miles and like it came off the show room floor.

Anything that I need to know or check. Warranty is up in 6 months. Will purchase extended warranty as we plan to keep for several years.
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    even if you are not aware of any needed repairs.

We took our '99 to the local dealer a couple months prior to the original warranty expiration and had them do an oil change and Check up for the specific purpose of finding anything in need of service while it was covered by the original warranty. They found and replaced 2 leaking shocks (about $300.)

We also did this with our Chevy truck several years ago and got about $600 of covered service and repairs days before the warranty expired. IMHO, everyone should do this. Kind of a no brainer.
    Have read about this some time ago. Does anybody have the "fix" for this? Still in warranty. Any TSB on this?
    Appreciate knowing if there is a "fix" for this or maybe a TSB.
  • marloucal1marloucal1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a problem with my lights turning on and off, my transmission went out at 14,000 miles 11 months after purchase. The dealership told me there was nothing wrong with my truck initially, then wanted to replace it with a rebuilt transmission. After alot of fighting, I got a new one. My rotors were warped from the factory, and had to be replaced at 9k miles. The heated seats no longer work, the dealership said that they had wiring come undone inside the seat and it is a known problem. I still have a bad vibration and the dealership refuses to do anything, they say I need new tires, I got new tires, same vibration. Not to mention it is only less than 2 years old and the value is less than half of what I owe. 13k is what it is worth I paid 33k for a fully loaded one with every bell and whistle. Chrysler does not care about what they sell nor will they they take care of you like they should.I have found that they find every excuse to give me the run around
  • dpedersdpeders Member Posts: 1
    In October I bought a '97 JGCL that I thought was going to be my dream car. Perfect condition, 42M miles, had it checked out by a neutral mechanic. Everything was sweet. Tons of fun to drive. OK so when the window motor died I thought "well, your have to expect some problems on a used car." Fixed that, fixed a couple of other things to the tune of $900 by the end of December. Two weeks ago I started hearing this knocking sound that I had only heard once before in my life- when I was 16 and my old Rambler threw a rod. Sure enough took it in to my trusted mechanic who informs me I need a new engine. Now I have to decide if I want to invest 4 grand in this car or trade it back to the dealer (who is willing to buy it back for 3 grand less than I paid- leaving me to eat $1800 on the loan) and start over. After reading all the stuff on this site I am leery of another Jeep. But dang, I sure like them. What is wrong with me? Any advice?
  • rcleimbachrcleimbach Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 JGC with 6000 miles on it. Having problems with AC not blowing cold air. Appears to be an intermittent problem. Took it to dealer and as luck would have it, the AC worked fine. On the way home from the dealer, it stopped working again.

Have a new appointment for next week. Anyone have any ideas. Owned a 2000 JGC and never had any problems except for the rotors.
  • weoflunweoflun Member Posts: 3
    Wow, I did not realize the Grand Cherokee had so many problems.

I realize Jeep's are high-maintenance; but, they are indeed great vehicles. Also, please do not assume all Jeep's are like this. I own a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with 181,000 miles on it and has worked great since I bought it. I knew someone that had 270,000 miles on their Jeep; I have to this day never seen more miles on another vehicle.

Another mention, some problems are not things usually associated with Jeeps, but with all vehicles. Someone was describing a faulty earlier that sounded to me a lot like worn spark-plugs. At that many miles that is common in every vehicle. It's kinda like gas, you have to refill the tank after so many miles; you have to get a tune-up after 20,000 miles or so. That should be common-knowledge.

I suggest, if you can, buy a new Jeep; not a used one. Also, I highly recommend servicing the vehicle as often as needed. If you can, do it yourself (though, understand this may void the warranty, in some cases).

Someone was describing a whining noise earlier, when turning. This may be because of an automatic four-wheel drive that is on most Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4's. It is common, and it is supposed to do this. The four-wheel drive engages when extra traction is needed, which could mean driving in snow, or even making a tight turn.

I do understand the Grand Cherokee may have a lot of problems, but I ask everyone here to realize a lot of other vehicles have the same problems. Some problems are due to neglect; not greasing the bearings, not changing the oil, or simply ignoring noises until it's too late.
      Also, a four-wheel drive is very high-maintenance, and I actually suggest not getting one unless you know how to use and service it.
      Pay close attention to your vehicle; if you see something leaking: fix it! That is common-knowledge.

I hope you all have better luck with your Jeeps

-Take care, have fun, and God bless
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    routinely go more than the 270k you mention. The ones that don't are wrecked or exceptions in those makes.
  • vjayramvjayram Member Posts: 2
    I had my 1997 Jeep Jump start, as for some reason the alarm went "ON", when I parked in the Airport and the battery died. After jump starting, all the displays got reset. I had to reset all the info. But my Audio system quit working. I've the Radio, Tape ,CD combo system. Do I need to do something different to turn on my audio system in the jeep.???? Please help.
  • weoflunweoflun Member Posts: 3
    Wow, I'm really sorry that happened, a similar thing happened to my dad's Jeep just a month ago.

Unfortunately, when the battery goes dead it resets all the saved information!

I'm hoping it just blew a fuse, vjayram. Check under the steering column inside the fuse-box...
  • vjayramvjayram Member Posts: 2
    weoflun, Thanks for the response. I checked the Fuse for Audio, and it's good. I don't know what else could be the problem. Any other options??? HELP/.
  • alfalfa549alfalfa549 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a 2003 JGC in February. It was cold then. No Problem. In March, I attempted to run air conditioning. No go. After 3 visits for service, an electrical control problem allowed running. ok.

Now AC seems weak. When weather is warm, AC can not keep up, even when re-circ is selected. I dread a return to the dealers.

Any comments on the relative strength of JGC air conditioning would be appreciated.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Are these vehicles really as poorly engineered and constructed as what I've been reading on these pages? I would have a VERY difficult time justifying spending +$30,000 on a SUV that has the type and number of problems that I've been reading about on these pages.
  • hitejhitej Member Posts: 1
    My '02 JGC stalled out on me the day before last Thanksgiving doing 70mph on I4 near Orlando,FL while towing a boat! Fortunately I was in the right hand lane and was able to get off to the side. I had to be towed to the nearest dealer in Orlando and was told that the oil pump drive gear went out and it was rare to have that happen! So after several hrs at the service department it was fixed (since all the mechanics wanted to leave early for the holiday, I was very lucky that anyone was still at the service dept.) and I was on my way. Has anyone heard of this problem? And now my JGC is experiencing that infamous vibration, pulling that is most likely the brake pads,rotors. And, the overhead display goes off and on sporadically and the mechanics can't figure out why that happens since it doesn't happen when they are looking at it! This is my 3rd Jeep and I am most disappointed in this car and even more disappointed in DC for not trying to be more amenable to their loyal customers. No more Jeeps after this one!
    There is certainly no denying that many people have had serious problems whith their Jeeps with little to no satisfaction from the dealerships and DC. My 1999 Laredo, V8 has been trouble free aside from 2 instances in less than 36K mi with brakes/rotors.

The first time, the rotors (brake pads, etc.)were replaced with a shared cost as it was after the 12K mi warranty on rotors. The second was after 36 mo warranty period had expired, but still under 36K mi. Because of my previously reported problem, I got a complete brake job (calipers, rotors, pads) at our local 5* dealership (NOT where we purchased it) subsidized by DC with a $50 co-pay.

I learned on these posts (and was confirmed with the Service Dept at the Dealership)that there is a TSB on the brakes attributing the warped rotor problems to bad calipers that do not disengage from the rotors. The dragging causes heat and warping.

To: pschreck,IMHO, unhappy owners are more likely to post than happy owners.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Yeah, you have a good point.
  • billhundleybillhundley Member Posts: 7
    2002 JGC - 33k Miles - Ac and heat work when first starting car but then won't maintain temp. Have replaced blender door actuator motors and climate control module in the dash but still not working properly. The fan also seems to surge and I have had mist coming out of vents. I have noticed excessive water underneath vehicle at times. Rotors replaced at 10,500 miles, dash board light recall, fuel tank recall, keyfobs didn't work and had to replace two electronic modules, steering column makes clicking noises, poor mpg, oh, and my heated seat burned up and the element replaced. Shoulda bought a Honda. Never Again. Any help with AC is appreciated
  • njmike1njmike1 Member Posts: 2
    I am the proud owner of a 1997 4.0, K&N air injection, flowmaster exhaust system 87,000 miles..."no problems" JGC. To the people complaining about the rotors, stop whining and take it to an independent shop and get aftermarket parts......you're done. period.
    I have towed a 28 foot 5000# trailer the last two summers with stock everything (except see above)
    and have had ......"no problems". I took it to a Jeep Jamboree in the Jersey Pine Barrens, sunk it up to the headlights in a creek, dried it out and my wife drives it 80 miles a day to work. No problems. I have a funny suspicion that the complainers would find a pimple on a super model
    and throw her out of bed.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    LOL!!!
  • oldcarguyoldcarguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 JGCL I purchased new. It has 70k miles and has been a great Jeep. I have just started having a problem where neither the air conditioning or heater will work. I took it to my favorite mechanic to check out. He determined some kind of switch(?) was bad. He said it was about a fifty dollar part. I had him order it. Before I left he decided to use his hand and hit what I believe was part of the blower motor, It was under the glove box door. After doing this everything started to work fine. That was about two months ago. It is now starting to act up again so I am going to get the part installed. Anyone every see this problem before and have a idea what the problem is or what the part is? Thanks for the help.
  • billhundleybillhundley Member Posts: 7
    Mike
    I am glad you had great luck with your jgc. However, in my opinion the problems that plague these vehicles are unacceptable, especially in a vehicle that costs 36k to buy and then depreciates way too quickly. My last two cars, both Hondas (97 and 00), went to 60,000 miles before any real expense. (4 new tires) On the bright side, the aftermarket guys are making a killing on poorly designed American car parts.
  • five0_4tluvfive0_4tluv Member Posts: 41
    so my JGC had rotors replaced @7K, now have same issue @28K, dealer says "yep, your rotors are warped but Chrylser won't replace them because your brakes are at 30%. If you replace your brakes the problem will go away." and he says Chrylser no longer warranties rotors past 12K and new TSB does not replace pads? What can I do with this repeat problem? Would I even get a good brake job with warped rotors? Wouldn't they have a better chance of cracking? I don't recall rotors only being covered 12K.
    Question: So if the warped rotors ARE the problem, how can you expect to NOT replace them and have a satisfactory result?

You don't say what year you have, but here is some helpful info pasted from posting #262 of this thread...
    ---------------
    I suggest you go back and read the TSB
    Wonder if that is why the new TSB calls for replacment of rotors AND calipers? (I replaced mine with aftermarket rotors for less than $100 from a major auto parts chain...they have NOT warped! That was less than the dealership quoted to turn the warped rotors since they were over the 12,000 brake warranty!)

FRONT BRAKE PULSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE BRAKE APPLICATION
    Date: 5/13/02

Bulletin # 0500302 (supercedes 0500501 Dated Sep 14, 2001)

Model Year(s): 1999-2002 (models built May 11, 2002 and prior)

Description: Brake roughness or pedal pulsation when the brakes are applied. The customer may experience a vibration of the steering wheel, floor, seat, instrument panel, or a minor pedal pulsation (brake roughness) under light to moderate pedal application. The condition may be caused by excessive thickness variation of the brake rotor surface.

Details: This bulletin involves the replacement of both front brake rotors and caliper assemblies.

Parts required:
    52098672 Rotor
    05093174AA Caliper kit (2 calipers, pads and retaining bolts)

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb.htm#0500302
    ------------
    Yes, rotors are warrantied to 12K.

When the vibration on my 99 returned at 32K, I went to my local 5* dealership asking about this and got calipers, rotors, and pads, a $650 brake job, for a $50 co-pay subsidized by DC. This is because I had been in once previously at 18K and had rotors and pads replaced. The first time I paid for the rotor parts and DC covered the rest. So when it returned again at 32K, but less than 36 mos., they covered the repair as described above. Needless to say the other guy with a '99 but 76K did not get the same deal.

I was told the problem is the calipers. They do not completely disengage and the friction as they drag on the rotors, is what causes the warping.

Hope this helps. (You can do a search on this thread using the TSB # for several other references to this.)
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Most rotors last much longer than 50K but at least that would be reasonable. I have never changed rotors on any of the cars I have ever owned. 120K, 130K, 150K and never a change.
  • five0_4tluvfive0_4tluv Member Posts: 41
    year 2002, what irritates me the most is that this is a manufacturing defect, not normal wear and tear. i have yet to find where rotors specifically are warrantied for 12m/12k.
  • maybe501smaybe501s Member Posts: 1
    I just survived by the Grace of God a horrible accident in the asphalt jungle. Was a fluke I am sure - being hit by another driver turning in to me at a low speed. Impact appears to have been about 6 inches behind front headlight on drivers side. I (approx. 35 mph) went airborne and proceeded to flip from side to side. (roof of Jeep was not touched) I then proceeded to do a 360 on the drivers side. I miraculously walked out of this accident through the windshield.

Why am I writing you? My front driver airbag, side airbag and top portion of my seatbelt did not deploy/function. The front passenger airbag did go off. No, it was not a T-Bone, but one would assume the impact from a flip would deploy one. The top portion of my seatbelt did not hold me, thus allowing me to crush and bend the steering wheel and hit the dash with my head.

I am a small female, the vehicle has been supremely cared for just having it's 30,000 'check up' and 3rd detail since I purchased it. (also - I've had 4WD's for 20+ years, and this isn't my first Cherokee)

False sense of security I had - those rollover ratings don't quite tell you....... okay, so it rolled, but then what? I was able to walk away from this (future medical problems unknown at this point)..... I want to know if anyone out there has had any airbag, or seatbelt problems or anything close to this happening.

Any advice to pass on, I'm all ears. Haven't dealt with settlement, etc. as yet.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thank goodness you walked away from that! I hope you have no long term med problems and all turns out well.

Perhaps the JGC experts here will provide insight on the airbags & seatbelts.

tidester, host
    The SRS and pretensioners are not activated until the impact sensors detect a collision above a certain G threshold occurring along either the longitudal or lateral axis. In the GJC accident in question it is entirely possible-if not likely-that the deceleration thresholds were NOT exceeded. Side curtain airbags(such as those in the Volvo XC 90) are the only type of SRS which are designed to be triggered by rollovers.
    That the passenger side airbag would deploy and not the driver's. Did you have a passenger btw, Maybe501s?

Glad you survived the run-in with the jungle. Take it easy the next couple of days; wrecks often shock the system more that they seem to.

Steve, Host
    I know that some current BMWs(among others) will not deploy the airbag if the crash sensors indicate that the driver and/or passenger is wearing a seatbelt AND that the rate of deceleration is below a predetermined threshold. Likewise, BMWs from @1995-on WILL NOT deploy the passenger airbag if the seat is unoccupied. It would be helpful to know how the GC SRS system is configured.
    But assuming your facts, why would the passenger side bag fire? Hopefully we'll get more details about this particular wreck.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    But assuming your facts, why would the passenger side bag fire?

I'm only guessing here but the collision could have been close to the threshold impulse for deployment in which case it would be a coin toss whether any deploy. Also, the rigid frame construction may transmit an impulse across the vehicle almost as though the opposite side had been struck from the perspective of the accelerometer.

tidester, host
    If the SRS module detects that the occupant sensor(usually a pad in the bottom seat cushion) is bad then the SRS warning light is illuminated and the system will deploy the airbag. A friend hit a deer with his 1991 318is at a speed of @30 mph. The LF hood and fender were bent and the left headlamp assembly was trashed. The airbag deployed, even though the coupe was still operable. And he never found the deer...
    I'm getting over my head here, but bear with me.

It seems to me that if the passenger air bag fires for any reason, the driver's side should too. I think this should be the default behavior.

Remember, Maybe501 said The front passenger airbag did go off.

Then there's this air bag message today that just confuses me more, lol:

curls "-- Best Pricing on Murano or "What did you pay"?--" Jul 3, 2003 12:14pm

Steve, Host