Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cherokeegirlcherokeegirl Member Posts: 3
    On my '97 Laredo I have had the following repairs:
    front rotors (twice), U-joints, rear wiper motor, sway bar links, leaking transfer case (twice)O2 sensor shorted, air conditioning went out (needed new evaporator), and currently the rear differential bearings are out and need to be replaced. All this with 65,000 miles on it. I was upset about the differential bearings, I felt that this was too early for them to be bad so I called Chrysler and they will take care of parts and most of the labor on that. Anyone else had this many problems on their '97? The total for our repairs is $4500 and all these have been done in the last year and 9 months!
  • rushing2rushing2 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2000 JAG in August of 2000. Here is the list of problems that we have had with it during its first year.
    1. Only half of the overhead computer was illuminated.

2. Immense pull to the right. (Told that to the service department every time it went it for an oil change, "Oh, the alignment is fine ma'am, that's just the road you're on." My favorite, "That's just the JEEP in it."

3. Speedometer stuck at 45 mph.

4. Difficulty starting (the fuel pump had to be replaced).

5. The pull to the right was finally fixed by replacing the ball joint. However, after 19,000 miles the tread on the front tires was completely worn. DC is replacing those since they were the result of the faulty ball joint.

I have to admit, today you take a chance with any vehicle that you buy. But as a consumer, you hope to get the most out of your purchase. Please let me know if you have any other problems that I should be aware of. You know it's funny, I just discovered this town hall, and I have learned about my JAG than my mechanic has been able to tell me.
  • jmcelwainjmcelwain Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 4.7 Laredo with the exact same issue sitting at the dealers now for the fourth time. So far they have changed one spark plug, one coil and one fuel injector and have cleared it up quite a bit but still failing. Looks like there is a widespread issue here with the 4.7 engine. My other half has a 2004 GC Overland and it runs like a watch. So it must be something was changed for the 2005 models.

Mack
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    We have a 2000 Grand Cherokee. The steering wheel shudders (a lot) when braking between 60 and 80 kmph. Is this a symptom of warped rotors? We are planning on taking it to the dealer but would like to do our homework. Is this a common failing? Is there a recall?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • jmiddleton1jmiddleton1 Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 1999 JGC and it has been problems since day one. We have had the brakes (rotors/pads) fixed twice, the rear differential fixed twice, paint peeled off the door, rear glass leaked, a whining in the transmission at 65 mph (which they tell me is the roof rack !) bushings replaced 3 times and rear shocks replaced. Needless to say, I am in the process of submitting info under the Lemon Law. If that does not work, I will definitely pursue legal action as this thing is a piece of *!@$@!. If anyone out there has had a positive experience in using the Lemon Law or suing over your GC, I would be interested to hear from you..... please e-mail me at anglingaround@msn.com.....

Thanks !
    John
  • b885574b885574 Member Posts: 2
    I am in discussions with the DC area rep regarding transmission problems that have had the "lemon" in the shop 5 times in a month. I have taken all the steps called for in the warranty book that came with the "lemon" and I believe I qualify under my state lemon law requirements. The DC rep finally called me and offered a new transmission or a replacement vehicle with some costs to me. He flatly stated that DC does not repurchase vehicles (bull). The car is in the shop right now and is not being repaired yet. Pending a decision by me.
    Question - how did anyone get a repurchase deal out of DC? If I have them get the car running again do I give up my right to get a repurchase agreement? HELP
  • jmiddleton1jmiddleton1 Member Posts: 2
    I have heard that DC has in the past re-purchased vehicles but could not confirm for you. One interesting things I heard from a friend is that he said he "heard" that there is a group of folks that are starting a class action suit against DC in regards to Jeeps and their rotor/brake problems.... Unfortunately, he could not tell me any more than that... By the way, what transmission problems are you experiencing ??
  • jenjayjenjay Member Posts: 2
    We are considering purchasing a '98 JGC 5.9 Limited with 28,000 mi on it. Have read with interest the complaints on 1999-2001's but have not seen much on the '98. Anyone had experience with this vehicle. This would be for our college senior daughter who definately needs a 4X4. Thanks to anyone who can respond.
  • rogerm4rogerm4 Member Posts: 10
    interesting post # 56 regarding the possible class action suit over the rotors. bad rotors are also a common problem with GM vehicles. I just spent 600.00+ to replace rotors on my 1998 Blazer with only 29000 miles on it!! Got nowhere with the dealer and Chevrolet customer "service" dept. I would be interested in getting involved if anyone has anymore info on it. Many other vehicles having the same problem with warped and corroded rotors in new vehicles. NHTS web site has alot of complaints about the same topic.
  • fishrxmanfishrxman Member Posts: 31
    The 'Jeep Grand Cherokee' discussion has lots of good information especially about rotors and gear whine. Please see my posts in that discussion regarding gear whine. To jenjay: The Jeep Grand Cherokee was first built for the 1993 model year and was totally redesigned in 1999. Edmund's has excellent articles on how to purchase a used vehicle. I owned a '93 JGC Laredo for 7 years. Even with the few minor problems, it was a remarkably reliable vehicle for the first year of production. It was well maintained and all records were kept. I sold it to a friend at 115k miles and it's still going strong. You might also consider an after market warranty through Daimler-Chrysler.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link to several "How to Buy a Used Car" articles.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• lpcjlpcj Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had the problem with the Jeep lights coming on and going off without you doing anything? Dealer says, "Its the "auto on switch", we ordered one for someone three months ago and it still has not arrived. You need to leave the Jeep with us for an entire day so that we can confirm that is the problem." "If you just turn off the "Auto On Switch" the problem will go away." Jeep has 23K miles, 2 years old. This problem comes and goes. Last night someone saw the lights on at 11pm. We saw it at 3:30am.
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    What year is your Jeep
    Mine is a 2000 V8 GCL Canadian model with the daylight driving lights that flashes in the day time but never happens when the headlights come on at night.
    I had this problem since day one but I can live with it until it gives me real problem. The rest of the vehicle is perfect (except the rotors)
    Mine will flash at low rpm when idling at stops or red light , A/C off ( because rpm is higher when A/C is on) AND auto headlight switch at on or off makes no difference .
    To avoid the embarassment, I pull the hand brakes to turn it off when this happens at the red light or long stops.
    Please let me know how to fix it.
  • pa13pa13 Member Posts: 2
    We have owned the 2000 less then a year and while coming home on vacation we broke down when the jeep stalled out while going 70 miles on the interstate in the middle of the mountains....Our vehicle was towed to the nearest dealer....but we could not wait for the repair because the part would not come in for another 3 days.....we rented a vehilce to come home. We are totally disgusted with this vehicle ...would we qualify for the lemon law.....I am afraid to take this vehicle on the interstate again....its totally unreliable....what recourse do we have?
  • broesebroese Member Posts: 2
    Had my evaporator replaced at 50k miles. Shortly after that developed a leaking problem on the front passenger side. Found out the water from the drain hose was blowing back in. They fixed that problem, but now it is wet on the driver's side. Has anyone had similar problems?
  • rivergirlrivergirl Member Posts: 8
    My 96 JGC has 101,000 miles and slips when trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. It will lunge into 3rd after a few tries. We've ignored the problem for 9 months but it's getting worse so we're thinking about putting a new transmission in. How much should I expect to pay and is it normal to put in a new transmission for a car with 100K?
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Are you sure we don't have the same vehicle??

Actually, mine's a '96

Front rotors, rear wiper motor, sway bar links, leaking transfer case, new evaporator, complete transmission overhaul...

This is a vehicle that an extended warranty pays off big- I took it in for every little thing, because I wanted the truck to be just right- and when I fixed everything- it was great- perfect in fact.

I think the nagging problems will end soon for you- but it is annoying.

It's a 4x4 limmo and you hear every little thing.
  • lesliejoylesliejoy Member Posts: 62
    Just had the air conditioner replaced on our Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd after 43,000 miles. Cost $1,200!

Did anyone here buy an extended warranty? Thinking of buying a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty from Warrantech (Repairmasters).

What is your experience with extended warrantees?

Thanks.
  • donhobsondonhobson Member Posts: 2
    I am also looking into an extended warranty. I have 34700 miles and I am worried that I will start seeing some of the problems that the people here are talking about. I looked at this board 18 months ago when I planned to buy my Jeep and I think I made a good decision despite the problems that show up here. At least I know what to look out for. Does anyone have an extended warranty or service contract that they would like to brag about? I am looking for one before I hit 36000 miles.

-Don
  • mapmakermapmaker Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 L. six engine. Does this model year have the brake rotor problems and other various problems associated with other years or have they been all resolved with the 2001 models. Need to hear from others with the same year and model as mine. Thanks.Ed ecertusi@mindspring.com
  • nittany1978nittany1978 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 93 Grand Cherokee with the quadratrac 4wd system. When turning sharply to the left or right (like in/out of a parking stall) I'm getting a growling sound and the vehicle lurches and lunges similar to a 4wd vehicle with the front hubs locked in. The Jeep garage says its the viscacoupler (spelling?)and wants a fortune to replace it. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • suverssuvers Member Posts: 2
    I recommend folks buying the extended warranty to give yourself a peace of mind. We've a 97 Laredo w/the Quadra-Trac and almost 76K on it. All the problems that I've read on the 99 sounds familiar on our 97: fuel pump (stalled around 30 mph luckily on a small road but once replaced, have not had the problem again), rotor (never ending story), rear wiper motor, low clunking noise when applying the brake to shift from park to drive, definite pull to the right as the front passenger tire's wear is more pronounce on the outside of the tire, etc. The extended warranty will save you headaches and worries once the original warranty expires. BTW, our warranty was from DC so that our dealer can't say what's covered and what's not. If you can, get the max warranty, i.e., the "gold" I believe is what it's called.

I'm shopping around now since my warranty will expire soon and I was hoping the newer model had fewer problems. Even with an extended warranty, I will not get a JGC again since all these problems still exist.
  • ryansauntryansaunt Member Posts: 1
    while searching this site I had to post our situation. We were just approved from the board to have our 2000 Grand Cherokee apply under the lemon law. After almost 2 years we finally did it. All of the problems I've just scanned here apply, rotors replaced two times! lights going off while driving, you name it, we had it. With the determination of my husband we received word today that the decision was made in our favor, the settlement process begins. once our contact finally pulled our service records there was no question, out of service for over 30 days in less than 2 years. It can be done, and thankfully I will be looking for a new SUV, it won't be a Jeep that's for sure. Just my 2 cents!
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Well, specifically EXCLUDED from even the best warranty are "Wear items such as manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and belts." The 'Best' warranty runs $2500 w/$50 deduct for 5yr/100,000 mile. About 10% of what I paid for the POS in the first place. So, if your rotors warp every 5,000 miles, after the 12,000 mile original warranty, you will still have to pay unless DC agrees to extend your coverage. If I had added that extra to the cost of buying one when I was trying to decide, that would have priced it out of range of what I was willing to pay!
  • hutchwhutchw Member Posts: 1
    how long is the warrants on brake and rotors for the grand cherokee. I have 6000 mile but 18mo old.
    hutchw
  • 99gc99gc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Limited with 20K miles.
    When I stop at 30 - 50 mph the steering wheel shakes.... I am far from a mechanic and curious if this is similar the the brake issue everyone talks about. Does anyone know if the 1999 had a recall on the brakes and also what rotors and pad replacement would cost from the Jeep Dealers...

I had a 98 GC 26Z and replaced the rotors on a recall... That problem seemed different....

Thanks in advance for your response...
  • mnoellmnoell Member Posts: 2
    '94 Laredo, 5.2L, 166k miles now, bought new.

Leaking transfer case: This "new process" TC runs with the same ATF as the transmission. After replacing the O-ring twice, and carefully inspecting for a grooved housing (finding none), I learned that it is *highly unusual* for the fluid level in the TC to be high enough to leak at the speed sensor, which is near the TOP of the TC.

RUN, do not walk, to your local AAMCO or service guy and have them pull the TC and REPLACE the seal between the OD section and the TC. The tranny's fluid is leaking into the TC, causing overfill and leakage at the sensor.

Mine RAN DRY and resulted in a transmission rebuild at about 130k miles. I was watching the tranny level and topping off maybe 1 qt. every 2 months, but towards the end the leakage rate must have grown substantially and it ran dry. Lots of blue-steel ground parts were the result.

You others with shifting problems: Check for this leakage also! Other than the fluid level, that is how this problem first manifested.

Viscous Coupling: The "lurch" or "hard bumping" you feel when turning all the way is this device in the transfer case that allows the drivetrain to slip when the wheels are thus turning at different rates.

I had mine replaced at the dealer for $950 after learning from two private service guys that this and later TCs or couplings were NOT available as aftermarket parts. This also occurred at about 130k miles.

Good Luck!
  • jggcjggc Member Posts: 1
    I'm a longtime fan of this website and, unusualy enough, often check it for reviews of other vehicles than the '97 jgc I own myself.
    Almost every problem discussed here is one I have had myself: Fuel pump, front rotors, rear wiper motor, sway bar links, leaking transfer case, and the ever annoying pull to the right because the front passenger tire's wear is greater on the outside of the tire. I thought I was going mad on the last one, taking my car to different places for alignments in the hope that it would correct the problem. I love my jeep when it works, but that is rarely the case and it spends more time in service than it does on the road. It's bad when a tech. asks you wait patiently while he pores through the service log because 'this vehicle has had so much done to it.'
    But enough griping from me, and although I will never buy a jeep again because I'm tired of donating money to service depts., I do have it paid off and plan to keep it for a little while longer. All right, now no more griping. Just needed to vent a little.
    Mine has over 100,000 and I'm thinking about getting the radiator and timing belt replaced as preventative maintenance. I called three places, including the dealership for quotes. The dealership, funnily enough, has not returned my call. One gave me a quote for both the radiator and the timing belt. The third informed me my car has no timing belt, and relies on some equivalent part (I couldn't quite make it out on my voicemail) that won't need replacement until 150,000 miles. I should just check the owner's manual, but does anyone know whether or not the jgc's have a timing belt or not? Thanks for entertaining my question.
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    I had a 1990 Cherokee and a 1993 Grand Cherokee V8 and had nothing but Trouble with both vehicles. I would never buy another Chysler product again. They make the Best Looking vehicles on the road, but their quality is pretty poor.
    However, Rotor warpage is a common problem with disc brakes and happens on all vehicles regardless of make. If u have a "Nice, cooperative dealer" u might get him to absorb part of the cost the first time around.
    Good Luck
  • jef98zjjef98zj Member Posts: 4
    Most vehicles do have poor brake pads and rotors, and the dealer replacements are not much better than the originals.

A less expensive and better solution is aftermarket parts. For example, you can buy better quality brake rotors and pads at your local NAPA store (or equivalent) for about the same prices as OEM, and doing the work yourself can save a ton of money. If you want to really do it up right, get a set of Stillen cross-drilled brake rotors for all four corners and use the Stillen Metal Matrix (rear) and Performance Friction (front) pads. These things throw less brake dust, and will last a lot longer, while providing smoother/quicker stops. They are not that much more expensive. These puppies work; I have installed and used them and have no complaints with them.
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    anyone used PowerStop rotors ?
  • dave230dave230 Member Posts: 1
    I am writing this note to give hope to those of you who may be experiencing the same types of problems we experienced while in possession of our Jeep.
    In August 2000, my wife and I leased a brand new 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all options. We began having problems within 300 miles of purchase and continued to have problems until Chrysler took the vehicle back and paid us for every lease payment we had made, our deposit and all aftermarket items we had purchased such as floor mats. The dealer who leased us the vehicle gave us absolutely no satisfaction regarding the repair of the problems. The District Manager for our zone directed us to another dealer. This second dealer worked very hard to correct our problems, however, was not effective in doing so.
    The problems and their stories are as follows:

Pull to the right

Remedies included: numerous alignments (first only toe until adjustable ball joints were available), tire rotations, installation of adjustable ball joints and inflating the tires to varying levels. These repairs and alignments led only to extrenely excessive tire wear, two new tires and no correction for the pull to the right.

Whine in the drivetrain between 55 and 65 mph

Remedies included: replacement of front and rear differential assemblies, rear axle shafts and bearings and the rear differential/axle housing. These repairs eventually reduced the whine and vibration to approximately 50% of their initial levels.

Transmission slippage between 2nd and 3rd gear shift

Remedy: replacement of transmission valve body repaired the problem initially, however, the problem returned the end of our possession of the Jeep.

Clunking/torque-loading when vehicle was shifted from Park to Drive

Transmission linkage was adjusted and newly designed yoke assembly and rear driveshaft was installed. These repairs did not solve the clunking/torque-loading problem.

I searched for the highest manager/exectutive possible within the Dealer Services division of Chrysler until we reached an agreement that was satisfactory to us.

As I read the various stories in this Town Hall forum, it was clear that there are a number of us who believe, despite all of the design, build-quality and service issues, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is probably one of the nicest SUVs available from a features, comfort, styling standpoint. I hope Daimler-Chrysler can get their act together. Until then, I will be staying away from the Jeep Grand Cherokee and probably all other Chrysler products.
  • gabulldawg1gabulldawg1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a loud clanking noise when I shift from park to drive.
    The vehicle only has 24k. The dealer says all Jeep transmissions sound like this! Sure!
    Anyone else with similar problems?
  • bratcliffbratcliff Member Posts: 3
    I am the owner of a 2000 JGC Laredo. As most of you mention, have had the same problems. Rear differential overhaul which did not solve the roar / whine in rear end. Told it was "within acceptable limits". Acceptable to who? Front brake pads and rotors replaced at 12000 miles due to vibration and shaking in steering wheel. Now have exact same symptoms but am told it is the rear which has no service history so out of warranty. Stop-bump in rear end that originally was linked to rear differential problem. Stop-bump reappeared although had to take service manager riding with me to prove that and brake vibrations. Supposedly tightened the rear end but did not solve problem. Now told they "cannot fix that." The dealership assures me they will call when area rep in town. Of course, that has not happened. Called Chrysler, told they would submit the information to dealer to discuss with area rep and I would hear something. That was 6 weeks ago and of course have not heard anything. fortunately, I could let my 2000 sit on the Dealer's lot for 30 days when I was not satisfied with the rear differential and was awaiting the area rep's visit. Massive leak in front passenger side. Decreased fuel efficiency that was due to using "Exxon" fuel. I'm sure Exxon would love to hear that! Smutty tailpipe in conjunction with decreased efficiency. Mileage dropped from 18 / 21 to 8/12 and continued. I am ready to look into lemon law but am having a hard time finding lemon law attorney for Virginia. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on what to do next? My biggest concern is for safety with the brakes. You do not know if they will stop you when you actually need them.
  • jackojacko Member Posts: 6
    Have a 99 GC with a twist of lemon.
    My brakes squeak, dealer says all is OK with brakes, I think new pads will help. Anyone done this to fix the squeak???
    Pulls to the right, if you let the wheel go, car goes right, alignment checks good, suspect there is something wrong with the hardware. Anyone had such experience and what was the fix???
    Front end is whining once you get past 35-40 mph. What's the fix??? First time it went in they could not duplicate problem, going back in two days for all the above, would like to have an answer for the dealer on how to repair these problems so they can't tell me it's normal or can't duplicate.
    Thanks for the help.
  • vin2247vin2247 Member Posts: 1
    I can't offer you much help in Virginia but I will say, find yourself a Lemon Law lawyer and go for it. I have a 99 JGC and it had the same problems you described. Brakes, rear bang etc. After dealing with DC myself and getting nowhere I found a Lemon Law lawyer in PA who was great. 54 days later I ordered a new 2002 JGC replacement vehicle, and it will be arriving soon. I would have preferred my money back but it may have taken a long time to win. For now, do yourself a favor and get a lawyer. Too many people just trade them in and take the loss and let DC win. It's worth the peace of mind and it's not that difficult.
  • brianandamibrianandami Member Posts: 2
    I have read with great interest the problems associated with the late model JGCs (97 and later). I was wondering, and just trying to pass on info on the problems we are having. We currently own a 93 JGC Laredo 2WD with 118000 miles. We bought the Jeep used less than a year ago. It has been an absolute dream up until about 2 weeks ago. We were on an extended trip to visit relatives 3 1/2 hours away. The jeep refused to start at my wife's grandmother's house. After replacing the battery, (it was getting old), the jeep still would not start. After having a friend look at it, we determined that I was not getting any fuel into the injectors. After blowing out the fuel lines, it started immediately and ran okay until we started our trip home. An hour and half from our starting point, the jeep stalled. Once again, suspecting a clogged fuel line, I blew out the line and it started again. At this point, the jeep began to shudder and stall about every 10-20 miles. The jeep finally gave out for good about 2 hours from home. We had some friends tow us home and sent the jeep to the shop the next morning. We asked them not only to get it running but to fix everything they could find since I would be leaving home on an extended trip soon and I would not want my wife to be stranded. They were not able to look at the jeep for a day and a half. They started it immediately, it ran like a dream. Even after running for over an hour it still ran great. They called my wife to pick it up. When she got there, they said it had finally stalled after they got off the phone with her and that they did not have the tools to fix it. They referred us to another shop.
    At this point, I really have to mention, DO NOT TAKE YOUR VEHICLES TO PRECISION AUTO TUNE.
    Once towed, again, to Precision auto tune, they determined the problem was a bad fuel pump, filter. They also replaced the air filter, did an oil change, replaced plugs, wires, distributor, rotor cap and then the ignition coil went out. They replaced that also. I picked up the jeep and it ran great, but I noticed that when the jeep was idling, I was blowing an extreme amount of white smoke (suspected blown head gasket). Four days later, once again on a trip to my in laws, the jeep was running great. At one point on the interstate the jeep sputtered once and died at 70mph. Once again it was towed to the shop. Once again after another diagnostic, they told me it was the ignition coil. Once replaced, it ran like a dream. The jeep ran great for another week, and once again on a trip to my mother in law's the jeep died on the way back home. Same symptoms, sputtered once and died on the side of the interstate. This time, we got in touch with the owner of the shop who told us he would take care of everything. We were once again towed to the shop. Once again they did a diagnostic. Once again they could not find a problem. The diagnostic did say that I was getting too rich a fuel mixture (the white smoke) but other than that nothing. On a whim, they replaced the ignition coil and it started immediately. Today, I took it to the dealer with no luck. They tell me it might be the computer. With over $1400 spent on the original repairs, I am not about to spend another $1400 on a new computer.
    As I said, the jeep did great until this last week or two. I still have not gotten the fuel mixture fixed because they tell me the message is coming from the computer and there is nothing they can do and no one can tell me why I am blowing through ignition coils like they are going out of style. My wife and I are about to cut our losses and get a new car. Unfortunately, we are shying away from Jeeps now. Any ideas on what might have caused this? I do some work on cars myself. If I have an idea where to start, I figure Chilton's and myself might be able to salvage this Jeep. Thanks in advance.
  • jrlee1jrlee1 Member Posts: 1
    I had my rotors turned at 12,000 miles and now they need it again 14,000 miles later. Jeep did the first job under warranty but they are now claiming that I will have to pay for the replacement of the new rotors, (~$220).

I know that many other Jeep owners have experienced similar problems. Will you please Email me your suggestions for fixing this problem once and for all (if possible). jlee6@triad.rr.com.

Thanks.
  • jfschrojfschro Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else out there having problems with the A/C on there Laredo models? This is not the Auto Zone Control, just the regular system. System is weak, at best. Dealer has replaced o-rings, low pressure cut-out switch, subsequently charged a system that still had a leak (put in 2 pounds 10 ounces of refrigerant in a system that is spec'd to hold 1 pound 8 ounces!), then had to remove the excess when the high pressue switch turned the system off due to the overcharge. The Customer Assistance people at the toll free number do not consider this to be a major issue. I would suggest these people from Auburn Hills, MI come to Texas for a typical summer and see how important the need for an operational A/C system really is! I'm considering requesting a buy-back, since the A/C problem not only affects the comfort but also the inability of the defroster to properly dehumidify the air to clear the windshield and side windows when required, which is a definite safety problem. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who might be having these same sorts of problems.
  • dguethsdgueths Member Posts: 1
    sometimes there are vibrations in the steering at 50 to 60mph. but it only happens when i want to drive at these speeds. if i accelerate to 70mph it doesn't happen. also if i start to bake at 60mph the steering wheel vibrates. can anybody give me advice about this before i take it to a dealer.
  • dms7dms7 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Last month my fuel gauge, while driving, moved from full to empty and the empty fuel light came on. About a minute later it went back to full and the light went off. I

I did not think much of it until it happened 4 mores times. Sometimes it happens when I turn the car on. I noticed that my digital trip meter that tells me how far I can drive has the same problem.

Has any one else had this problem? Does any one know what the problem is or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
  • cameron9cameron9 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, now I guess it's my turn. First I'd like to say that I owned a 1994 JGC Laredo V8 that I traded in with 118,000 miles on it. I loved that car. I never had any problems with it other than the normal maintenance and wear and tear items. I had an extended warranty that covered bumper to bumper up to 70,000 miles. I never received the value of purchasing that warranty. I had my rotors replaced on this vehicle (after 70,000 miles) and I got rotors with a lifetime warranty from my mechanic. Obviously not a DC rotor product...and I left the warranty information in the car for it's next owner. (I still have regrets about getting rid of this vehicle.) Now onto my current vehicle. I purchased a 2001 JGC LTD V8. I took the car in today for its 15,000 mile service and I also asked them to check the rotors.

1. Rotors: The steering wheel shakes when braking quickly or at higher speeds. I was suspicious that this might be because of warped rotors so I had the dealership check it out. The verdict: the rotors are "slightly warped". Their recommendation was to wait until I needed new brake pads and then have them both replaced. The rotors are only covered by warranty up until 12,000 miles, so anything I want to do is out of my pocket, so they say. I don't necessarily mind waiting until I need new brake pads, but what I find disconcerting is that this shaking when braking does not provide an enjoyable driving experience, and for a car that has only 15,000 miles and is only a year old, I have much higher expectations. (Recommendation for anybody else: do not have your rotors "shaved" or "ground"....it never really fixes the problem and only makes it more likely that they will warp again.) My preference for fixing this problem (besides lodging a complaint with DC), is to wait and see if I can live with it until I need brake pads, but then when I replace the rotors I would like to take it to my handy-dandy mechanics (not the DC dealership) and have them put in the same rotors with the lifetime warranty that they put in my 1994 JGC. My question is, since it will not be a DC rotor, and I'm assuming it will need to be done before 36,000 miles when my warranty runs out....if I have any other problems with my Jeep within the warranty period, will they discredit my warranty because the rotors are not a DC part?

2. Steering Column: I had the dealership check out a grinding noise in the steering column when turning right at low speeds (such as in a parking lot)at the 7500 mile service. This seemed to happen most when the car was parked for a period of time on particularly hot days. The dealership could "not duplicate the problem." Since the temperature has now cooled down some, I have not noticed this problem with any degree of frequency. I'm hoping it went away?!

3. Timing Belt: To answer a previous question.....the Jeeps do not have a timing belt, they have a timing chain, which is significantly stronger. As such, I did not need to replace the chain at all in the 118,000 miles that I owned my 1994 JGC. My mechanics (once again, not the dealership) stated it was unlikely that I would ever need to replace it.

Other than the rotor situation, I'm fairly happy with my 2001 JGC. I did not buy an extended bumper to bumper warranty on this vehicle, because it did not pay off on my 1994. I'm hoping that decision pays off this time. I do believe that if I have my mechanics replace my rotors and complete any other brake work I can satisfactorily resolve the rotor situation. The unfortunate part is that it will be at my own expense. Do you suppose I would have any luck in dealing with DC on this issue?
    Rear wiper on my 99 JGC quit working, out of warranty. Before it totally quit, it would work at times, but not always. Anyone had experience this? Fuse is OK, will get into it this week, just looking for help to save time.
    My wife had a similar problem with her 94 JGC, when it was under warranty the dealer replaced switch, but they never totally solved that problem. Dealer could never duplicate the problem, then we traded it in, so it was never resolved.
  • cameron9cameron9 Member Posts: 2
    I had the rear wiper go on a 1990 Cherokee Laredo....the whole motor needed replacing to the tune of about $250....that definitely solved the problem.
    cameron9: looks like it's a short or bad connection, wiper worked one day and then quit again. Same problem we had on a 94 GC, which was never fully solved.
    Would appreciate help from anyone that had this experience before.
  • amirenoamireno Member Posts: 2
    I need some advice. My tire started leaking air and so I took it into a tire shop to patch the leak. When they couldn't find anything wrong with the tire, they took the tire off and found out that the rim had a slight split at the seam. He told me that it was a defect and to take it into the dealership since it's still under warranty. Of course when I took it into the dealer, they conclude that it's not a defect and that it was damaged while "backing up into something". The funny thing is, I'm the only one that drives this vehicle and I never backed up into something that would cause such an impact and split the rim. I've never taken it 4 wheelin' and I would hate to imagine what would happen to such a fragile Jeep. Is the dealership taking me for a ride, or could this really happen?
  • imustbecrazyimustbecrazy Member Posts: 1
    Bought '02 Jeep GCL 4.7L w/ Quadra 17" tires.

Salesman said to use spare for rotation. Is this true?

Also, a friend of mine has a 96 Jeep GC Larado. He said that inorder to keep the 4wd system working correctly that I should always replace all 4 tires. Is this true?

Finally, car color is Inferno Red. Why does Jeep add $200 bucks to the sticker for Inferno Red paint?
  • cv2121cv2121 Member Posts: 2
    I really like the new Jeep Liberty and am ready to buy one, but after scrolling through some of these messages, I'm wondering if a Jeep is going to give me trouble down the road. I've already lived through a new transmission on a Honda at 52,000 miles (a Honda I said) and I really don't want more problems like that again. Help! Any advice?
  • raym5raym5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 V8 Jeep. Generally happy with it. It has 12000 miles on it. Suddenly, last week the engine noise became four times what it was before! Noticed that the fan is on all the time and the noise is when idling (do not see a transmission problem). Took it to the dealer and they checked it out thoroughly. They swear it is within the specs and noise is normal! Is it normal for the fan to be one all the time at high speed and be so noisy? It is odd that it just happened and it was OK before. I appreciate any insight.

Ray
  • minkman1minkman1 Member Posts: 4
    I just signed a PO for a new 2001 JGC. Dealer was giving them away and I could not resist. I was about to buy the 02 Lib Sport, but the JGC Laredo I bought was an unbelievable deal. I got it with the 26F pkg, Cold Wther Group, Full Spare, Leather, Fogs, Power Roof for just over 26K. Figured I can't go wrong. I had a 93 JGC and loved it (wish I still had it...).

Anyway, I am taking delivery Fri 11/16 and the finance guy was offering me a 7yr/100K mile extended warranty for $1,500. I have read all the issues with 99/00 JGC and do hope the 01 fares better - especially the rotor and brake problems.

Was wondering if anyone else had purchased the extended warranty and if so whether it was worth it? I recognize that that DC is giving 7/100 on the drivetrain thru 12/31, and also that the 01's are still kinda new, but thought I would ask the folks out there. Any input is appreciated.