Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• traubetraube Member Posts: 28
    Just returned from Paragon Honda in ny-worst dealership I ever dealt with.Gave me an internet price to come in ,then added almost$2000 for documentation fee,preperation fee, origination fee.Told manager i would report this to honda and the BBB and he said he would honor the deal.Then I was told to come back the next day,and after giving a deposit,i was told 2.9% financing no longer available.
    fortunately I kept a copy of all these illegal fees,and told the manager I would publish them.He then gave me the original deal.
    A terrible experience.
    Check out Paragon Honda on the Better Business Bureau .Their ratind is abysmal.
    Be warned and stay away.
  • lcmikelcmike Member Posts: 3
    Just negotiated a deal today on an EX-L in Houston area without navigation or entertainment system.

Price was $27,895 at Sand Dollar Honda in Galveston. Also had a quote for $27,950 from Clear Lake Honda (internet only). Once I got to Sand Dollar, they tried to add $495 for accessories. After very little negotiation they dropped to the original offer. This includes everything but TT+L.

Had one other dealership (McDavid Honda) that said there was no way that they could sell for less than $28,900 mentioning a $1000 incentive. From other postings on these boards and the prices quoted from the first 2 dealers, I believe the incentive is really $2000 and McDavid ws trying to pocket the difference. Better hurry though. Sounds like the inceitves end near the end of this month.
  • lcmikelcmike Member Posts: 3
    Sounds about right....Bought a 2008 EX-L today with MSRP of $32,200 for $27,895 in Houston area,,,,Although one dealer said I would be able to get one less than $28,900.
  • lonestar98lonestar98 Member Posts: 48
    what i'm trying to figure out is what honda will do after march 3rd. the economy isn't exactly purring like a kitten. there are three scenarios that i can see:

1. incentive stays the same (most likely in my opinion)

2. incentive is sweetened (if they do this, it would prob be in the neighborhood of $500-$1,000 or a new lowered finance rate)

3. incentive is reduced or eliminated (no so likely)

Odyssey sales were down year over year when comparing jan '08 to jan '07. It's nice that Honda does break down sales by model, unlike Toyota who does not report this level of info.

In any case, the question is how were sales in February? I'm going with Honda staying the course. If we choose to gamble on the next round, it will more than likely result in a swing of no more than $1k one way or the other.
  • cheapdad000cheapdad000 Member Posts: 33
    Was the quote from Breakaway Honda in Greenville an actual OTD quote? Can you itemize it? Thanks. Did you receive any quotes from the RTP, NC area and if so were they competitive?
  • customer009customer009 Member Posts: 2
    I bought 2008 Odyssey EX-L from AutoPark Honda in Cary for 27000 + TTT OTD for approx 28.2K.
    GR was the salesperson.
  • dmitchell2dmitchell2 Member Posts: 4
    I e-mailed 27 (yes, 27) dealers in North and South Carolina over the weekend, looking for a specific model/color/options (EX-L in Baltic Blue with DVD/RES). I requested a "best price" quote, broken down by car price, taxes, tags, doc fee, and summed up with and OUT THE DOOR price.

18 responded with e-mail quotes (amazingly, 9 did not respond at all).

Of the 18, many did not follow my instructions exactly, but at least gave me an OTD price.

The lowest price was from Breakaway Honda in Greenville ($29,295). The highest was from Alan Vester Honda in Roanoke Rapids ($32,508). The rest of the quotes were sprinkled in the 29-31K range.

Hendrick Honda in Charlotte gave me a quote of $27,739, but reneged when I drove up there (could not find the car, and then determined a mistake had been made).

I ended up buying from Honda Cars of Columbia (local dealer), as I was reluctant to drive up to Greenville and risk getting the "Hendrick" treatment again. Nothing against Breakaway (other than the fact that they've are very very aggressive with their e-mail once you've contacted them - use a throwaway account), I was just in a bad mood after the drive to Charlotte. Honda of Columbia matched the Breakaway price.

Clearly, there's a wide variety of what you can pay for this car - I'd certainly suggest spending a few hours to save 1-2K!
  • twin01twin01 Member Posts: 8
    Just to let you know, I am a member of Costco and used their "Auto Buying Program". What a waste of time. They couldn't match the "donkey method" posted on this site. So far my best quote is $27,365 on an EX-L with RES (plus $99 doc fee and 6% IN tax). I am going to try and get it a bit lower before purchasing by the end of the weekend.
    MY MISTAKE......that should have read......$29,365 for the EX-L with RES
    Yes, Breakaway's price was OTD. They did not break it down, but as a SC Resident it would have gone something like this:

Vehicle (including destination): $28,936
    SC Taxes (they're capped at $300) $300
    Tags: $39

I'd suspect that the vehicle price is actually slightly lower, and they charge a doc fee, but the OTD is the same. If you're in NC, your taxes and tags will be higher, of course (sorry!).

Here are the NC Dealer quotes I received. All are OTD, based on South Carolina taxes/tags (Taxes in SC = $300, tags = $39). Adjust as needed for NC.

Auto Park Honda - Cary $29,558
    High Country Honda - Boone $29,664
    Vann York Honda - High Point $30,000
    Asheboro Honda - Asheboro $30,273
    Crown Honda Chapel Hill - Chapel Hill $30,599
    Bob Barbour Honda - Greenville $30,754
    Alan Vester Honda - Roanoke Rapids $32,508

The following NC dealers did not response with a quote (make of it what you will):
    Burlington Honda - Burlington
    Coastal Carolina Honda - New Bern
    Courtesy Honda - Goldsboro
    Davenport Honda - Rocky Mount

Hope that helps!
    Based on what's going on here (Carolinas) that's a good price. Of course, a little lower is always better :) Don't forget the Honda dealer incentives end shortly (I've heard 3/3/08) and, if they aren't renewed, will jack up the prices.

[twin01 said...]
    Just to let you know, I am a member of Costco and used their "Auto Buying Program". What a waste of time. They couldn't match the "donkey method" posted on this site. So far my best quote is $27,365 on an EX-L with RES (plus $99 doc fee and 6% IN tax). I am going to try and get it a bit lower before purchasing by the end of the weekend.
    MY MISTAKE......that should have read......$29,365 for the EX-L with RES
  • wayunderparwayunderpar Member Posts: 3
    I think the only places with the low 27's and lower prices for the EX-L without RES or Nav are California, Maryland, Chicago and Florida based on what I've read here. After about a month or so of pricing them and mentioning these out of area prices in the St. Louis area the best I got was $27,960 OTD.
  • cheapdad000cheapdad000 Member Posts: 33
    Many Thanks. Prices seem about $1500 too high in the Carolinas, given current incentive levels. Time to purchase somewhere else and bring back.
  • ecnirpecnirp Member Posts: 20
    Hoping you are right on the incentives. I didn't know about them until the last day of the 2.9% offer. Was offered a 2008 Odyssey EX for 25781 OTD in Northern Virginia but said no since I only looked for one day. A few days later and I lost the interest rate. Paying 4 points higher result in over $2K in additional finance costs. Dumb move on my part not to take the offer and interest rate. I can only hope for a repeat in March.
  • lonestar98lonestar98 Member Posts: 48
    i try to keep my ear pretty close to the ground and from what i've heard, things aren't too rosy for any manufacturer right now. gasoline prices at the pump are shooting up, at least they are here in cali, and the mortgage mess only looks to be worse w/ more forclosures. that doesn't lead to a lot of consumer confidence when it come to buying large family vehicles, at least in my mind it doesn't. i'll be very keen to see february's numbers when they post.

i think you did the right thing by waiting. yes you missed 2.9, but how did you know it was a good price at that time, it was your first day of shopping/ more often than not, rushing into a car buying experience leaves you w/ buyer's remorse. buck up and let's see what march brings.
    Several of the dealers in the Carolinas were willing to sell the EX-L **without** RES for right at 27K or slightly higher. If you don't want the RES, you should be able to hit the 27,000 to 27,300 mark. That's vehicle only (taxes/tags extra).
    Please be careful with this dealership.Before you go in check with the Better Business Bureau and Honda.com
    Multiple complaints of bait and switch,not honoring prices,taking advantage of the uninformed.
    Just check with the BBB
  • mobileappmobileapp Member Posts: 13
    Hi, Great deal !!!
    So the Quote + Destination + Processing = 34271 ?

Any other options on the van like Wheel locks, Mudgards or were those additional.

Did u get the 2.9% with that price ?
  • sacheygirlsacheygirl Member Posts: 3
    Just got home from securing my Baltic Blue 2008 Touring NO Pax for $33,872.10.

E-mailed 15 dealers this weekend - only 9 responded. Some quotes were just down right ridiculous (I'll sell you the car you want for $500 OVER invoice - ummm, I don't think so!) Best price was from my local dealer (Bryan Honda in Fayetteville, NC) by $350 from the next closest price when adding in the options).

$33,872.10 2008 Honda Touring w/o Pax
    $399 doc fee (UGH - that wasn't even the highest I was quoted!)

They were also the most aggressive on the options I wanted. I'm thinking I did well, so I'm happy with the outcome.

Other quotes I received (car + dest.)

AutoPark Honda Cary $34,165
    Sanford Honda $34,249
    Leith Honda $34,403
    Burlington Honda $34,879
    Asheboro Honda $35,045 ($489 doc fee!!)
    Tim Marburger Honda $35,249 ($499 doc fee!!)
    Hubert Vester Honda $35,400
    Crown Honda Southpoint $35,926
  • squasheadsquashead Member Posts: 19
    My experience, as I did the deal on Sunday, is that it was not an either/or proposition, they were separate offers, and I negotiated for both. I was up front in disclosing where I got the info, showed on paper, so that was reciprocated with their internal docs verifying, and refuting my info. Sure, those docs could have been produced in house, but I doubt they would be making up multiple docs for this purpose, possible, yes, probably - no. Anyway, probably mute now since the 2.9 is no longer offered, but as of Sunday, they were both available.
  • lorenvwlorenvw Member Posts: 1
    Do you have the name of the dealer and saleperson where you purchased your 2008 EX-L for $26,800.00? If you could e-mail that to loren@frontiernet.net I would appreciate it.
    Thanks - I'm feeling pretty good about it - this is the 2nd car I've purchased via e-mail/internet & it really makes the process (almost) painless & you get a good deal.

The options I got were:

Mud guards $110.75
    All Weather Mats $169.25
    Cargo Tray $101.75
    Cargo Mat $89.25
    Wood Trim Dash $195.25
    Wood Trim Door $194.50

there was probably a little wiggle room on the options from my research, but no one came even close to these option prices, and at that point, I was just tired of the whole thing.

The 2.9% ended on Monday, BUT I haven't finalized the purchase through financing since the exact car hasn't come in yet. If they can beat the rate I have through my credit union, I'll finance through them. Oh - this dealer also let's you put $5k on a credit card (so you can get cash back, frequent flyer miles, etc). My last car, the dealer let me put as much as I wanted on my card (I know - I lucked out!).
  • cvinas0658cvinas0658 Member Posts: 1
    Sean

I was able to get a 2008 HONDA ODYSSEY EXL-NAV/RES for $31400.00 ON THE ROAD PRICE (this includes everything, tax tag,etc) included with their "appearance package" free as part of the "President Weekend Sale" (mud guards, pin stripe, wheel locks, door guard, wheel guard) at Hendricks Honda in Woodbridge VA last Monday, Feb 25.

I got the same deal from one of the guys who posted here and bought the EXL-NAV/RES from the same dealer. I went to Sports Honda from MD first but their price was $700.00 more without the freebees as I mentioned above.
  • raj1raj1 Member Posts: 27
    really incredible. can you send me any quotes or other proof that I can use to get the same deal. my email is rg_quote at hotmail dot com. Thanks.
    Honda is a great car.Just stay away from PARAGON HONDA in NY.
    Please go online to PARAGON HONDA COMPLAINTS and look at their complaints over the last 3 years.It is the lowest rated honda dealership in the United States.Then check them out with the Better Business Bureau.
  • carandvancarandvan Member Posts: 4
    Do you have the name of the dealer and saleperson where you purchased your 2008 EX-L for $26,800.00? can you email it to stephenson.l@gmail.com.
  • swafoswafo Member Posts: 2
    Pardon my ignorance...what to PAX, NAV, and RES stand for? Thank you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    PAX = special run-flat tires from Michelin (not sure that's an acronym)

NAV = Navigation

RES = Rear Entertainment System (aka DVD player)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• gchan216gchan216 Member Posts: 14
    Michelin's PAX, stands for patented auxiliary support run-flat system.

Here is a good article on it.
    http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tires/articles/117588/article.html
  • swafoswafo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks
  • plbankheadplbankhead Member Posts: 2
    Which dealer in San Jose? That's a great deal.
    After an intensive search (using the donkey method), I just purchased and EX-L with RES in Indiana as follows:

base price $29,371.00
    doc fee 78.75
    tire tax 1.25
    IN sales tax 6% 1,690.26

OTD 31,141.26

I traded in my 10 year old Venture for a $1200 credit as well to bring my cost to $29,941.26

We got Slate Green (which looks more gray to me) and the kids love the DVD.
  • nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    All, I was in Kelly Honda in Lynn, MA this past week in order to get some service work done on my 2000 Odyssey. I overheard their daily sales meeting and they said that no sales person has hit quota or is on track to hit quota for the month of February and for the first quarter of 2008. The housing slump and the notion of a possible recession is definitely starting to factor into people's large purchasing decisions. So my opinion is that Honda will have to continue to offer financial incentives to the dealer / to the customer to move product. The reason there is a deadline to the current specials is that it is meant to motivate action to buy. There will be more dealing in March so I wouldn't get hung up on a few days if you're on the fence. Good luck.
  • 03element03element Member Posts: 4
    I have read several post from people who went to Sport Honda in Silver Spring MD and got a great price. Well it is true. I was able to purchase an 08 Odyssey EX-L with RES for $28689(including freight) + $89 doc fee + tax and tags($30700 on the road). I am not sure how much longer the $2000 dealer incentive will last or if they will increase or decrease it but the salesman played no games and started his pricing invoice minus incentives and then it was up to me to squeeze a little more into their holdback. If anyone is interested I can email the name of my salesman. He was very low key and thorough. My email is april15@verizon.net.

I also agree with all the post concerning Honda's extended Warranty from Barrardi in Mass. I went to their website and called them and got the best price anywhere on the 8yr/120,000. Highly reccommend.
  • mobileappmobileapp Member Posts: 13
    Hi Great Job on the price ! I think this is the LOWEST I have seen for the EX-L + R + D
    How much did you get the extended warranty for; the 8Y/120K ? Was it the quote on the website or did u negotiate lower? can u send it to me at mobileapp.developer at gmail.com
  • ecnirpecnirp Member Posts: 20
    Hey Lonestar - I believe you will be correct. Especially since Toyota's Sienna incentives for low financing will be continuing until 3/31. Bad economic news is coming out everyday and Honda will need to keep moving product.
  • 03element03element Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the typo. Bernardi Honda out of Mass. is who is selling Honda Care at cost on their website. According to my dealer and Bernardi, Honda may not allow internet sales as of April 1 for Honda Care. Prices were not negotialble. You do get a $30 parts voucher-not bad.
  • jsebajseba Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new in this site but are those prices for Honda Touring ? How you get those price? How you get all dealers in your area? .

Whatever you did, congratulation,
  • riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    I got internet prices for a 2008 Ody Touring no PAX very similar to sacheygirl #18467 of Feb 27. Go to the Honda website and get the list of dealers in your area and send emails telling them what you want. I got first response 20 minutes later. I bought Baltic Blue Touring on Feb 28 for $34,298 + sales tax, lic+ doc fee of $85 in Mpls, MN area. Factory to dealer rebate of $2000 til Mar 3 was acknowledged. Lowest price was in Des Moines but they did not have my color choice. No pressure for extras from internet sales rep or finance person. I declined extended warranty because I can get that in the future if I want it and at a lower cost.
    Yes - for a Touring. I used the donkeypunch method (do a search to find his post - in the 16xx number range). I e-mailed dealers through the Honda website asking for an out the door quote on a 2008 touring no pax. Said I was planning to purchase within a few days. About 2/3 responded. Pricing was all over (about $2k variation). Pay attention to dealer fees - those varied by $300 from one dealer to another.

E-mailed back the top 5 asking to confirm best pricing, asked to add in pricing for options, and inquire about my color choice (also got the Blue Pearl - my dealer had to go 200 miles to find me one - very hard to find in this area).

I also e-mailed the rest of the quotes thanking them for their time, but they weren't competitive. I was hoping some would jump on the bandwagon (this happened when I bought my Acura MDX a few years ago - one of the initial worst quotes became the best), but not this time - most just said our price is firm - others couldn't believe the price I was quoted.

The dealer I went with was the best quote by a few hundred bucks. Really a pretty painless process. We went in last night to sign the paperwork. It was kind-of funny - while there, the place was packed - in the back. We walked by people sitting & waiting in different salespeople's offices waiting for their salesperson to "go check with their manager". Every one of them looked depressed & sad. Glad I wasn't one of them!

Good luck - this really is the ONLY way to buy a car stress-free and getting a very competitive price at the same time.
  • raj1raj1 Member Posts: 27
    who was the dealer?
  • acamatoacamato Member Posts: 1
    Last week I emailed 9 dealers,

3 came in at $31,304 + Tax & DMV fees
    Others:
    33,600 + Tax & DMV fees
    31,800 + Tax & DMV fees
    32,804 + Tax & DMV fees
    31,455 + Tax & DMV fees (wanted me to make an appt & test drive first)

I purchased it from the dealer in my town on Thursday. He was one of the three lowest. The higher priced dealers never responded to my counter offer mail.

I got it in Baltic Blue.
  • snc1snc1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought an EX-L with RES for 28600 in Westchester county.

And to think I thought that the carsdirect price was accurate.

ALL dealers are very hungry to sell so I assume the downturn is starting to pinch.
  • cambreacambrea Member Posts: 26
    Hello,

I am going to purchase (or lease) EX-L in about a month.

Anyone purchased EX-L model in southern California recently?
    I am willing to drive 100-200 miles from Orange County.

Thank you.
  • lousalvadorlousalvador Member Posts: 3
    The dealer is Steven's Creek Honda. I called their internet sales department. I got an e-mail quote from Larry Hopkins Honda for $26,950 and they said they will beat it. So I went there and presented the quote to them.
  • semantic2semantic2 Member Posts: 28
    Any prices from dealers in IL on a ODY 2008 Touring w/ pax or without pax. Debating on whether to get and ODY 2008 or wait for the 2009 pilot. Plan to test drive the 2008 ODY with the wifey to see if she likes it or not. She personally prefers SUV's over minivans but it's all the same to me. I'm the one to make the payments on the car anyway.
  • 1timeposter1timeposter Member Posts: 1
    08 Odyssey ExL Nimbus Grey.

MSRP: 32845
    Purchase: 27492 inc destination
    OTD: 30090

No extra equipment but came with the usual wheel locks, floor mats and first oil change free. Purchased in Orange County but I reside in LA County so 8.25% tax (ouch!!!) and ~1.1% in other fees. Best APR offered was 5.39% so I passed.

Oh well, not the best price but I think it's okay. My hats off to you guys who are getting this in the low 26k or even into the 25k, that's incredible.

Good luck everyone.
  • medema7medema7 Member Posts: 19
    Although we are not in Illinois ( I'm originally from Palos Park, IL) we purchased
    an 08 Touring no-pax today in Milwaukee, WI. as we live in Appleton, WI. BTW Wilde Honda is Wisconsin's largest Honda dealer.
    and they were extremely courteous and professional during the purchase process.
    Since we are neighbors, here are the numbers:

Sale price $34,160.00 (includes destination)
    Cross Bars $250.00 (All options include installation)
    All season pack. $494.00 (includes mud flaps, all season mats, trunktray
    Door edge guards $86.00
    Wheel locks $101.00
    Fenderwell trim $142.00
    Darkwood trim, dashboard $250.00
    Darkwood trim window
    switch & cupholders $264.00
    Service fee $119.00
    Total $35,866.00
    2006 Odyssey EXL trade -$21,300.00 35K miles good condition
    Balance $14,566.00
    sales tax 5% $728.30
    title fee $89.00
    Out the door price $15383.30

How did I do? My guess is somewhere in the middle. Be careful about your trade. The local idiot internet sales person in Appleton wanted to give me
    $17,700 for my trade. I politely told him where he could stick his offer. ( keep
    clear of Gustman Honda in Appleton, WI) BTW keep a sharp eye on the calculations. It appears Wilde charged me the service fee twice ( $119.00
    plus tax) I'm sure it was not intentional. I would also like to thank all of the Odyssey contributors to this website who aided me in this deal. I could not have
    done this deal without all of your input. Thank you!!!!!!! I hope this will help someone else get a good deal on their new Touring no pax.
    Also the deal was all internet excluding the visit for the trade. I was surprised to see two dealers up here who never responded to internet quotes. Wilde clearly wants the business and they earned it.
  • cambreacambrea Member Posts: 26
    It seems good price to me.

Also, it seems the dealership didn't charge for other fees.

OTD (-) Purchase Price (-) Sale Tax = $330 (.. registration?)

Could you tell me the name of the dealership?
  • semantic2semantic2 Member Posts: 28
    that seems like a pretty good price. but i think the double $119 charge stems from one for the trade-in and one for the actual purchase of the new ODY. still very good deal. I doubt i would get much for my 99 accord to trade in with 122,000 miles on it.