Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• tristan123tristan123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My Santa Fe has started losing power going up hills and on the motorway over 40 mph. There was a crack in the manifold which has been repaired, however car still loses power and is barely drivable. The machine/computer is saying it cant detect a problem, and 3 different mechanics have failed to locate the problem as well. Does anyone have the foggiest what could be causing this or has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    it's wierd you would have this problem with no svc eng light. was the crack in your intake or exhaust manifold? was there a svc eng light on when that occurred? most of the problems i can think of would turn on that service engine light...
  • sbrown1750sbrown1750 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a recent intermittent problem with my engine fading out when I'm turning. In the turn the steering stops responding and the red engine light comes on briefly, then the engine kicks back in and the car is fine again. It also seems to only be happening when it's raining. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm actively watching for it now and will take it to the shop if it happens again.
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    can you tell me what years(s) were on the recall for the rear suspension recall? also, how can I access the recall info? thank you
  • v11lestatv11lestat Member Posts: 4
    The Model Years affected were 2001 through 2003. I accessed the info through Safercars.gov which is a NHTSA site. Their Action Number is EA08023 .
    I have just gotten my car back repaired. I was traveling in a city at slow speed when it failed, otherwise this may have been catasrophic...
    I was dealing with 3 seperate entities on this, Hyundai America, Regional and the Dealer. So some patience was required. It took about a week. The Dealer of course wanted to fix all sorts of things as when doing recall or waranty work Hyundai doesn't exactly pay them the shop labor rate. Be prepared for other components to fall apart when they do the work. age related. My Bill at the end of this was $680.00 which I am now adressing further with Hyundai America. Good Luck!
    thanks for your help. I have a 2003 santa fe. I was in touch with hyundai america, about a month ago. They said my vehicle was not involved, due to the manufacturer date. when i went for my oil change, in april, the dealership refused to look at any possible problems, without a charge, as there was no recall for my vehicle, relating I should wait, to see if a recall notice, is sent to me.
  • yamaha123yamaha123 Member Posts: 1
    wont start in mornings put new glow plugs in ,new dripp pipes,will start with a bit of easy start through airbox,once started engine fine there is no back fire or black smoke when started ,now the car has cut out on me twice in one day just driving along and engine just stoped,had to wait about 3or 4 mins before i could start it again,engine management light come on got a reading from rac they said the code was 0009 fault can bus shorting fault has any body had same problem or can any one help regards chris
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I have a new door opening fob that I need to reprogram for my 2004 SF. Does anyone know how to do it?
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I need to replace my shock absorbers in my 2004 SF. What are some good manufactures and specific models that I can ask the mecnanic to install?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd check on factory shock prices. OEM shocks were designed for your particular vehicle while aftermarket shocks tend to be designed to fit multiple makes and models.
  • sincityducatiisincityducatii Member Posts: 1
    Help me my santa fe has the code kwp 2000
    and i cant find any info on that code any place

kwp2000 2001 hyundi santa fe odb code ?????
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's odd. Are you trying to reprogram your ECU? the kwp2000 is a unit designed to reprogram the ECU.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe 3.5 V6 2wd with approx. 66,000mi. I just seen my check engine light come on this morning going to work. I'm wondering what simple things I can check and replace to fix this problem. I know that it could be a whole slew of things, but was hoping I could check some things myself before heading to a mechanic. I'm fairly hands-on but am by no means a car mechanic. The last time the check engine came on it had to do with emissions and it cost me a lot of $$. I noticed at that time that it was affecting my gas mileage before the engine light came on, so I knew something wasn't right. This time it just happened outta the blue and my mileage doesn't seem to be affected. So, with this info., would anyone have any suggestions as what to look at first and possibly do for myself? Thank you to all!
  • heidyrmheidyrm Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with the car not starting? I've had the battery, alternator and started check and all is well. After a couple of hours the car will start. I am thinking its an electrical problem and know that the cost is going to skyrocket.
  • stangraffstangraff Member Posts: 3
    I would have the battery checked again. If you haven't changed the battery since you bought the car in 2003, then it is probably time to get a replacement regardless. Just a thought. Also, check the normal things like corrosion, and acid on top of the battery, etc. If you replace the battery, wash the carrier with a baking soda and water solution. If anything foams, you know you have had some acid leaking somewhere.
  • tommyy1tommyy1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Sante Fe all the power windows do not operate. It started as they would not work until the car ran awhile. Now they do not operate at all> I could not find the fuse for the windows. In the fuse box there isn't any labeled power windows. Any help would be appreciated
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I have an 02 and there is another fuse box under the hood. It's on the drivers side, near the strut mount. Good luck!
    Thanks for thereply> I cheched the fuse box under the hood and swapped the fuse it didn't work. Any other ideas on all 4 windows not operating?
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    Other than checking all the fuses again, I don't know. It's highly unlikely that all 4 power window motors went at the same time, but you can't rule it out either.
    Found the problem.t was in the switch cluster on the driver's door. Very expensive to replace though
  • pissed6pissed6 Member Posts: 2
    hi my santa fe is 2002 and i was driving it while it broke down it sounded like i had a flat tire then we got it towed to a shop and he said that my rear suspension rusted away he said it looks like it could be a recall so i called and they told me my vin number didnt come up i bought this car in 2005 and i looked on the computer and everywhere i look people are having the same problem as mine same year same make so who do i call next because im sick of the lies :mad: :mad:
  • pissed6pissed6 Member Posts: 2
    2002 santa fe on more thing there telling me it wont be covered but yet it was a recall didnt get any paper
  • riggs2500riggs2500 Member Posts: 1
    We had the same exact problem. Turned out to be the left front ball joint, We found out when the tire fell off. please get both checked.
  • falmar1falmar1 Member Posts: 12
    I noticed a couple of weeks ago while driving at a higher speed on the highway my sterring wheel felt like it was shaking or shimmy if that is the correct term. Never noticed it before but I have since gone on the highway and it is the same (70+ miles per hour). The roads are being worked on so I am assuming that is the cause? How can I check this out before going to the dealer? Has anyone had this problem?
  • dcarpdcarp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe, V6 with 136,000 miles. I cannot get my car inspected. The check engine light is on and testing indicated a speed sensor problem. I had the speed sensor replaced and I have driven the vehicle over 500 miles in an attempt to reset the computer. The garage cannot continue the emission test for the New York State inspection because the last three monitors have not reset. Has anyone else had this problem? My local mechanic has suggested that I take the vehicle to a dealer. Is this going to cost more than a new
    vehicle?
  • manzomanzo Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how I can find out what the code P1167 means on a Santa Fe 2001?
  • v11lestatv11lestat Member Posts: 4
    Believe it or not, the "speed sensor" reading maybe a ghost in your system. I did have this issue. Try these quick fixes. Service the purge valve on your evaporative fuel system. Disconnect your battery overnight. If this does not clear it. have your rotors checked as a variation between rotars will give the speed sensor false readings.
    If you do go to the dealer get your rear suspension checked as there is a serious safety issue recall relating to rot. good luck!
  • manzomanzo Member Posts: 2
    This is good info, I will try it...
    Thank you very much
  • modriscollmodriscoll Member Posts: 2
    hi i have a santa fe crdi 2.2 diesel.. 2006 new model. it has vibrating clutch pedal.. were there any recall on this in uk. 3yr warranty in ireland so they want to charge me €2600 to replace flywheel & clutch... if there were proven cases of recalls anywhere i might be abe to argue the cost with them... any help or advice would be appreciated. tks
  • modriscollmodriscoll Member Posts: 2
    hi .i have a santa fe crdi 2.2 diesel.. 2006 new model. it has vibrating clutch pedal.. were there any recalls on this in uk. 3yr warrantly in ireland so they want to charge me €2600 to replace flywheel & clutch... if there were proven cases of recalls anywhere i might be abe to argue the cost with them... any help or advice would be appreciated. tks. Looking at the flywhell how could it tell it was damaged by operator error & if it manufacturers fault. Hyundai Ireland said if it needs replacing then it will be replaced with a modified newly designed DMF.. This is almost an admission that old design was rubbish.. My wanrranty is out by 8months. my friends who has same car same year had flywheel replaced under warranty. lucky sod. any advice > :)
  • destinybdestinyb Member Posts: 2
    Wow! I have a 2004 Santa Fe w/116,00 miles on it that has been broken down for over 2 months. Acually it's not broken down because it will start, but I can't drive it. So far, between tows, parts and labor, I have spent over $2,000 on this piece of crap. The transfer case had to be replaced because it was cracked all the way through, which sucks but it got fixed. However, now my engine malfunction light keeps coming on. The computer showed that the throttle position sensor was bad, so I had that replaced. Guess what? It still ran like crap! All of the wiring, connections were checked, and they were all good. So the mass air flow sensor got replaced. Guess what? Still runs terribly. Does anybody have any suggestions? The only code that shows up on the computer is the throttle position sensor, and if you erase the code it will drive somewhat decent for a little while.
  • destinybdestinyb Member Posts: 2
    I have had to replace the transmission seal on my 2004 Santa Fe about 5 times now.
    I had a test on my 2004 SF and it came back as follows: Scan test P0303 misfire #3 perform comp test, #3 60 PSI with no oil, 80 Psi with oil, possible valve issue.
    The dealer said to check this out he would have to take off the cover and send the car to a machine shop to look at the problem, if any,
    What the heck is he taliking about?
    Anyone out there with info would be apprciated.
    can you tell me if the info for installing a cabin filter, as described in msg 1785, is the same for a 2003 santa fe? thank you
    Does the goodwill repair process work if you are over the warranty period?
    I am the second owner of my 2004 SF. They have to take the engine apart and fix the #3 cylinder and valve.
  • ll7188ll7188 Member Posts: 1
    Was driving down the road and it suddenly stopped. Would not start again. Had it towed to the house and waited several hours and tried to start it again but it wouldn't start. When I try to start it--it doesn't do anything. I thought it might be the starter but it makes no clicking sound as would a bad solenoid make or a whining noise if the starter was bad. Has 1/4 tank of gas. All lights work. I would appreciate any advice that you might give Thanks
    Steve or Tidester, can you advise me as to whether or not there is a cabin filter in the 2003 santa fe? and if so, is the same process as changing it in the 2004
    I don't see anything in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide about replacing a cabin air filter for either the '03 or '04. Maybe it's a trim specific option?

You could sign up at the Hyundai tech site; the info should be in there.
    Steve, thank you for the reply to my msg. In msg 1784, on this site, there was mention of how to change the cabin air filter, in the 2004 santa fe, but I couldn't find any info on the 2003. You suggestion to the hyundai tech site, was perfect. the site gave me everything, I wanted to know.
    Good.

So ... what did you find out? :shades:
    I found out that the cabin air filter, was never installed at the factory, for santa fes, up to & including the 2004 ( tsb 03-97-003 ) (they also say, it is not a warranty issue, that it is a maintenance issue ) I believe it should be addressed as part of the vehicle purchase ( I bought it new ) I have e-mailed hyundai customer satisfaction, for an explanation.
    update: hyundai replied that the cabin air filter was not a required item in the hyundai, so it is not warrented. You must buy& pay regular price at a dealer. If you don't install it yourself, the dealer will charge labor.
    update: since your reply to me back in 05/2009, I have contacted hyundai direct and dealerships (when performing maintanence) and they all kept saying my vehicle (2003 santa fe) was not involved, due to mafacture date. Well last month I received a recall notice from hyundai, to address this matter. Luckily, they said there was no problem with my vehicle & they dod an under coating. I really don't do much inclement weather driving, if at all, so maybe that was a help.
  • rrk1368rrk1368 Member Posts: 2
    I was just told by my dealer that the ABS pump on my 2002 Santa Fe shorted out. I never heard of this happening to anyone, but i'm not a mechanic. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have 83000 miles on the truck. My brake light come on but no ABS light warning. Also, is it safe to drive? The dealer said it burns the brake fluid, so just replace it every now and then. Any information would really be appreciated! Thnaks. Bob. K.
  • scottbieserscottbieser Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 has a bit over 70k miles and has recently developed a strange vibration-while-accelerating issue. I first noticed it while driving on the Interstate from Cheyenne to Denver (elev about 5,000 feet) while on cruise-control. It felt at first like a tire issue but I noticed that it only occurs while maintaining speed or accelerating on a level track or while going uphill. (It's worse going uphill, and I seem to have less power than normal.) When I let off the accelerator, the vibration stops. This occurs generally between speeds of 40 and 80mph, but varies a bit. Some times I get it at 35mph; sometimes the problem disappears above 75mph.

I did recently have the timing belt replaced at a local Brakes Plus. Could the timing be out of whack?
  • otto595otto595 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe GLS 3.5L that has 253,000 miles on it. Just recently it started running a little rough. My local mechanic read the codes and it said that cylinders 1,3 and 5 have random misfires.

He replaced all 6 spark plugs (they were due) and replaced the plug wires to the 3 cylinders in question (1,3,5). We could see that one of the wires was arcing and since they were original wires they really needed replacing.

We also cleaned all the fuel injectors.

We then replaced the pre-catalytic converter underneath cylinders 1,3 and 5 and the problem is still there.

The codes are:

PO300B Random Multiple Misfire Detected

PO301B Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

PO303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

PO305B Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

PO446 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit

Any ideas?
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    why change precat if no code present indicating problem there? is it coil on plug or ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor? also - do you tend to give extra gas in tank to top off? you may need a full tune up including fuel filter + cap + rotor if that applies to this model + the evap system may have a problem from overfilling gas tank. charcoal canister may need replacing as well...
  • jonbarr62jonbarr62 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2003 sante fe with 166k miles for my daughter. They are asking 3995 from used car lot. The car seems to be in good shape and drives smooth. The only concern I have is what I don't know about this car with this many miles. There is a engine ticking sound more than one I heard with a 2003 with only 70K miles. Does this suv have a timing belt or timing chain. What is the cost for repair. Is this engine ticking sound normal for this kind of milage?...Am I going to be looking at some major engine repair?
  • otto595otto595 Member Posts: 4
    The Hyundai Santa Fe uses a distributorless ignition system (DIS) in all its engine types so there is no distributor cap and rotor to check.

The precat seemed to be a good place to start since only the 3 cylinders above it were misfiring.
  • nathmaethnathmaeth Member Posts: 1
    What should I be looking to replace in a standard tune-up? 2003 3.5L V6 Santa Fe w/60k miles. Have check engine light which says mis-fire on cly 4. Would consider spark plugs, wires and what else is reccommended? Also I have to remove intake to get to the back plugs and wires?

Thanks in advance