Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

1323334353638»

Comments

• geminidreamergeminidreamer Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe drivers door side lamp is out. A service place (not a Hyundai dealer) I had taken my car to for other work looked at it and told me the door panel needed to be removed to research the problem as it was not the bulb, possibly a socket issue. Is this something I can do myself? Can anyone guide me as to how to remove the door panel? has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution?
    Thanks in advance...
  • bgass1329bgass1329 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I had the same issues with my 2002 Hyundai Sante Fe with filling up my car with gas. Everytime I would fill the car up with gas it would not start right away After a few times it then would start up with no problem afterwards I went online and did some research on this problem and I was told the same thing to that it was the purge valve which cost around $250.00 and most of this price is the labor cost the part is cheap from my research I did. I also have a problem where when Im driving my Hyundai Santa fe every once in awhile when I accelerate my car jolts like my transmission is slipping. Do the car stalling to start up when gas is put in the car sound like a purge valve problem?
  • quentinsquentins Member Posts: 2
    I had replaced the MAF about six months ago with a Bosch because it was giving me the p0102 maf code. It turned out is was a bad hose and it fixed the problem. Now I am getting P0102 Mass Flow Sensor-VAK VOLUMN PER FLOW SENSOR CORCUIT LOW= 2 OF 2 P0102 (pd) MAF FLOW SENSOR CIRCUIT BAD. Well the first thing I did was check the hoses, cleaned the MAF and reset the battery. It ran go for about twenty minutes but idles very rough but accelerates OK. I am at my wits end andybody know what is going on here. I need to fix this as my son is heading off to college in the fall and I dont want him to deal with these types of preoblems.-Thank You
  • quentinsquentins Member Posts: 2
    I have been getting PO172 and 1073. I purchased a MAF and reset the computer. It then ran good for about an hour but rough. I then cleaned the throttle bottle and put back together. It starting running really bad and drove it for about an hour to clean it up but still almost stalls. The acceleration if better though. I then got code po401. The first thing I thought about was the egr valve. Well this is what the strange thing that is happening. When I take the middle hose of the 3 hoses off the throttle body the one that is green the car starts running perfect. It doesnt shake and acclerates really good. If I stick the hose back on it starts shaking again. Would that be a bad egr valve and what is the the chance of that going bad at the same time. Also the egr is only 8 months old. So i think by buying the MAF that solved that problem but did it create another problem. Also cleaning the throttle body cause this to? I could replace the egr but I really dont think there is any thing wrong with it and could it be something else?.-Thank You for Your Help!
  • falmar1falmar1 Member Posts: 12
    Don't know if you got the problem fixed by now but I had almost the same thing happen. I had about an inch of water sloushing around the housing of the wire harness which mounts the lights which in turn caused a short circuit. After I removed the water, all is well now
    Not sure what you call it but when you put something in the rear of the Santa Fe you pull a cover to hide what is in the rear of the automobile. When I pulled it out to cover an item it was not working. Well I took it apart and tried to rewind the cover like a window shade but it now appears to unfixable. Any suggestions where to look and buy another at a low cost?
  • hmarksterhmarkster Member Posts: 4
    I broke mine a couple of years ago and went to the Hyundai dealership to replace it. It cost me $300. They suggested checking places like craig's list for these type parts. You can find almost anything on craig's list, I would try there first and see what you can come up with. Maybe you'll get some other ideas from that.
  • kayzeekayzee Member Posts: 3
    Same here; I have a 2002 Santa Fe that started locking itself up every single time we'd open or close the doors and sometimes while driving and it started about 4 years ago. Also, the two front windows stopped working...the electrical system also messes with the radio, etc. Not much fun I have to say!
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I seem to recall that these were discontinued a couple years ago, but you can order one much cheaper online and the old ones (2008 or 2009) will still fit. I order one from Parts.com. Search the Hyundai accessory catalog for "cargo cover" be careful what color you are ordering, they come in beige or black only.
  • dvancleavedvancleave Member Posts: 12
    We have been trying to pin a problem down for a while now. The vehicle is a 2006 Santa Fe 2.7L FWD. The problem is intermittent and has only posted an error code once. What happens is that you will be driving and the engine sometimes will act like it is choking out. On 3 occasions it actually did die out completely while driving along the interstate. I would cry bad gas, but we have eliminated that by trial and error. The only gas that we are sure of being a problem is BP. We put BP in this vehicle and we may as well get the walking shoes on. Luckily the 3 times it did die out, it did eventually start back up eventually. Once we did get an error code when the check engine light came on. We took it to the dealership and they plugged their scanner up to it. They got a code saying there was a faulty O2 sensor. They cleared the code and said they would replace it. And they updated to code on something, I think the ECM. Unfortunately they were out of stock on the O2 sensor and said they would call once they got one/some in. A couple days later we got a call and they said the district service rep had declined to replace the O2 sensor under warranty. They said drive it and see if the problem came back. Well, it did except for the check engine light and they did nothing. Now the vehicle is outside the bumper to bumper warranty and the problem still flares up from time to time. And nobody seems to have an idea what to do to fix it. No code = no clue. We have had a few mechanics say that a faulty O2 sensor might cause the car to run a little rough. But they said it would';t cause it to stall out. To me it seems pretty obvious that it has something to do with the fuel mixture. Why else would BP gas always cause the problem? Anyone have a clue on what we can do to get this fixed? I don't want to take stabs in the dark since it is now out of pocket with the warranty expired.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    have you tried an emissions system cleaning/fuel system cleaner? Fuel pump will also cause problems when it is about to go and will not throw a svc eng light....
  • otto595otto595 Member Posts: 4
    I had the engine stall problem on my 2004 Santa Fe GLS a couple years ago. It was the EVAP system going bad. I had a mechanic replace the Canister Closed Valve Solenoid and the EVAP Charcoal Canister and Filter. He said that the Hyundai EVAP System is of a very poor design and this problem comes up often. I have never replaced my O2 sensors yet.
    Actually I was going to try a fuel system cleaner. Every now and then we add a bottle of the Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner. But the guys at Advance Auto recommend trying something called Sea Foam. They say it gives a more complete cleaning of the system in removing carbon buildup. It is supposed to be comparable to the injector cleaning service dealerships offer, only a LOT cheaper. I thought about the fuel pump. But that should give a more consistent problem. And it would not explain why the car always dies when filled with BP gas. This is what leads to believe that it is related to a sensor reading somewhere.
    I will check into the Charcoal Canister. I know my dad had to replace that on his XG350L a few years ago. But the dealership said that his failed from him topping the gas off too much. And he is surely guilty of that. He will squeeze every last drop into a car when he fills up. Hopefully it isn't an expensive part/fix.
  • 2006santafe2006santafe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 2.7 Lt and the AC Compressor Clutch and pulley is going out. Can i replace just the clutch or do i have to replace the whole Ac compressor? or can i bypass the whole AC clutch and get a smaller belt?
    My rear door "Stabilus Lift-O-Matic" has lost its holding ability to keep the rear door from staying in the up position. Does anyone know where I can get a pair of these and are they hard to install? Any advice on how to install this item would be helpful. It has a part number printed on it as follows "81771-26011"
  • wonder1964wonder1964 Member Posts: 1
    if you do clean the injectors make sure to use the stuff from wynn,s as they will pay later down the road if you have any fuel related problems. It will also increase your fuel economy and have a better response out of the motor. So in the long run you will save more than you spend just in the cleaning of the injectors
  • gbusch66gbusch66 Member Posts: 2
    I am having this same issue. I was wondering if you ever found out what the issue was?
  • gbusch66gbusch66 Member Posts: 2
    As you can tell from the title, I have a 2004 2.7L V6 Santa Fe with around 124,000miles. I recently had it at the dealership for a tuneup and because the check engine light came on. The code was P0303, meaning its misfiring in the 3rd cylinder. I had the spark plugs, wires, and coil packs replaced. Originally, the compression in the 3rd cylinder was not good but after having all this work done and having the gasket checked, compression came back good. The issue is I am still having misfires in that cylinder but not steady misfires. I started and drove the car for about 30mins with no problems while sitting in stop and go traffic but then it started misfiring again. The mechanic at the dealership said it could be the timing belt, which I had replaced at 98,000miles because the crankshaft pulley is wobbly but that he would have to open it up to see. I have seen some posts in the past about this same issue and was wondering if anyone had this problem more recently and what the cause was? If it is the timing, why would only 1 cylinder be having the issue?

Thank you
  • susan1969susan1969 Member Posts: 1
    Since Dec 2012 my Santa Fe 2004 3.5 has been in the shop about 5 times tune up was done purge valve replaced plugs wires and coils replaced and catalytic converters bank 1&2 and some $600.00 pipe that apparently goes to the exhaust as well every time I get it back I drive it not even 500 miles and then the car starts not wanting to accelerate and hesitates and jerking like turbulence in a airplane (a new transmission was put in 2008) When all this started I thought it was my transmission which they checked and said that was not it. Its back in the shop now they think it may be my timing belt I have put over 3000.00 since this all began and I just really need some ideas as to what causes these misfires just want the problem fixed I cant afford another car and someone else's problems just want to fix the one I have I don't know how much longer I can afford this Please help someone
  • cpmaircpmair Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002, 4 burner Hyundai Santa Fe. I was driving my Santa Fe for about 50 miles when all of a sudden it started acting weird. The RPM's went between 3,500-1,000, it felt like I was hitting turbulence, and then it died. My first thought was the fuel filter, so I replaced that. It ran for about 10 miles, and started acting up again. My next thought was the fuel pump, so I replaced that, and that didn't solve the problem. When I turn the key to on, I notice that the pump turns on, but I unhooked the cables to see if it was actually pumping fuel, and it wasn't. I then turned the key over, without pushing the clutch in to see what happened. It started pumping fuel at that point. I have found that if I turn the key over before trying and actually turning the car on, when I do go to start it, it will start and run for about two minutes, before it starts to act up. I cannot get it to stay on long enough to drive it even mile. It has about 130,000 miles on it. I hooked up a diagnostic reader, and it threw four codes.
    1. Camshaft positioning sensor
    2. Crankshaft positioning sensor
    3. MAF or VAF low input
    4. MAF or VAF low input
    I need help with this problem, and my dad mentioned that I put the problems up on a forum. If you have any idea what it might be, I am open to all suggestions.
    check for leaks along the intake tube - if you can't hear or see any - spray around it with intake cleaner/throttle cleaner/starter fluid while it is running - the engine should respond to the into of the cleaner and change rpm - that is where the leak is if there is any - I am assuming the filter/maf sensor/throttle is clean...
    does this only happen with the a/c on?
  • bayclubbobbayclubbob Member Posts: 1
    I have charged the A/C, but it continues to blow cool air, not cold. Could this be the "evaporator?"
  • michstanmichstan Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever receive a reply on this? I've got the same problem.
  • driver1247driver1247 Member Posts: 1
    Well, you can add my name to the long list of frustated Santa Fe 2007 owners because of faulty fuel sensors. Just like some other lucky winners both fuel sensors failed at 75,000 miles. About $600 if I go back to the dealer or $220 if I want to give it a shot. So instead I will use my OBD scanner once in awhile to check for new codes and make sure I fill up the tank every 250 miles or so. By the way my rear brakes froze and I had to replace everything (rotors, pads, drums). Another common issue on the Santa Fe 2007. Other than that it is a good car :-)
  • kardoktorkardoktor Member Posts: 1

@pro212 said:
    Anyone know the answers? Hung??
    1. So far, only Hung reports a third valet key. I only go two keys and two remotes also on my LX. Anyone but Hung get a valet key (that doesn't open the glove box?
    2. Under my driver's seat, (I'm in the rear seat looking under), I see a long two-three strand wire with a rectangular connection clip. It seems to be some type of connection or accessories connection wire that must have come lose, or maybe for some accessory I don't have??. I can't find where to connect the end clip, and everything else seems to work fine. The right side passenger seat doesn't have this particular wire and clip. I have an LX with ABS/traction control/heated seats/electrodim mirror.
    3. When I shift into park and turn off my Santa Fe ignition key, about 35% of the time it will only turn to the accessories position but won't let me turn to the "off" position and get the key out. Then I have to shift to gear (car not on) and then back to park and it will allow me to turn to the off position and get the key out. It doesn't seem to be a problem if I shut the car off in neutral and then take the key out and shift to "Park" which doesn't seem to be the correct, natural thing to do. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds to me like the shift interlock solenoid is out of adjustment. This solenoid is connected to brake pedal, transmission shifter, and ignition switch. It shouldn't take the dealer or qualified shop more than half hour to fix.

• SydneysmomjudySydneysmomjudy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sante Fe and I have the error P0463 coming up.  I replaced the fuel pump but it's still coming up.  Now I'm told there another "sender" on the other side.  Does that mean another fuel pump? I'm not getting answers from anyone, not even the dealers