Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• wildkentuckycawildkentuckyca Member Posts: 7
    My dealership is Bales of Jeffersonville. They have a Five Star rating in this area. The cap was a piece off of the roof rack. I didn't have a problem with it until I took it in for recall. They must have not made sure that it was snapped in there correctly and it blew off.

javascript:popWindow('http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall/vprofile?user=mastrv');mastrv Feb 13, 2002 9:20am
  • dgrpkdgrpk Member Posts: 27
    I am considering buying either a santa fe or a aztek, now I know a lot of people hate the looks of the aztek, but if we could just put the looks aside, I am having trouble making my decision.
    I would be looking a manual 4 cylinder santa fe as opposed to the pontiac 6. Its not apples to apples but as far as price it is. my main concern is reliability and safety. I have a 16 month old and would be using this car a lot. Has anyone checked out the pontiac for comparison? I hear a lot of complaints about the hyndai 4 cylinders. any input would be helpful. thanks.
  • txsantafetxsantafe Member Posts: 25
    I would compare the price on the Santa FE GLS w/V6 versus the Aztek v6.

From what I have read on the various boards, a SF w/4 cylinder is adequate for local driving not so much driving on long trips.
    a santa fe gls v6 verses a aztek 6, yes, it makes more sense to compare apples to apples, does this mean you prefer the santa fe over the aztek? what about these issues of stalling I've been reading about.
  • gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    Well I think either is a really good deal, although I think the Santa FE maybe more problematic, I'm not saying it's not going to be reliable, but the Aztek has proven to be very reliable. Right now I think you can get a comparably equipped Aztek with the $2002 rebate, that should put you right under the TMV of the Santa Fe. I think you will get more use out of the Aztek, more cargo room, towing, better gas mileage, etc..... It's really a push though so drive em both and then decide on which you like better.
  • robertannarobertanna Member Posts: 3
    Anyone out there had this problem of the windshield cracking? It did so for no apparent cause. Started slowly from below the botton seal and worked its way up and across to the other side. Haven't found much love from my dealer on this one.

Let me know.
    RobertAnna@Yahoo.Com
    The mileage is the same per Pontiac Comparison website. If you leave the Aztek rear seats in, you only have 45.4 CU Ft. vs the Santa Fe w/seats down of 77.7cu ft The basic Aztrek vs Santa Fe GLS

Aztek Santa Fe GLS
    Base MSRP $ 19,995 $ 19,599

Destination Charge $ 550 $ 495

Comfort and Conveniece
    Power Windows Standard Standard
    Power Door Locks Standard Standard
    Power Steering Standard Standard
    Air Conditioning Standard Standard
    Power Driver Seat Optional Not Available
    Leather Seating Areas Optional Not Available
    Front Heated Seats Optional Not Available
    RearFolding Seat Standard Standard
    Cruise Control Optional Standard
    Wheel w/Mounted Controls Optional Standard
    Cassette Player Optional Standard
    Compact Disc Player Standard Standard
    Rear Seat Sound Controls Optional Not Available
    Rear Window Defogger Standard Standard Illuminated Vanity Mirror Optional Not Available
    Electrochromic D/N Mirror Optional Not Available
    Tachometer Standard Standard
    Remote Keyless Entry Optional Standard

Exterior Features
    Alloy Wheels Standard Standard
    Self-Sealing Tires Optional Not Available
    Tinted Glass Standard Standard
    Power Exterior Mirror Standard Standard
    Fog Lights Standard Standard
    Daytime Running Lights Standard Not Available
    Load Bearing Exterior Rack Optional Standard
    Power Sunroof Optional Not Available
    Rear Spoiler Standard Not Available
    Interval Wipers Standard Standard

Safety
    Anti-Lock Braking System Standard Optional
    Driver Air Bag Standard Standard
    Passenger Air Bag Standard Standard
    Front Side Air Bag Standard Not Available
    Vehicle Anti-Theft Standard Standard
    Child Safety Door Locks Standard Standard
    Traction Control Optional Optional

Engine and Mechanical

6-Cylinder Engine Standard Standard
    Automatic Transmission Standard Standard
    Horsepower @ RPM 185@5200 181@6000
    Torque @ RPM 210@4000 177@4000
    Displacement (cc) 3350 2656
    Bore X Stroke (inches) 3.62x3.31 3.41x2.95
    Compression Ratio 9.5 10.0
    Fuel Type Gasoline Gasoline
    Fuel System SEFI MPFI
    Fuel Economy City (mpg) 19 19
    Fuel Economy Highway (mpg) 26 26

Steering and Suspension
    Steering Type Rack and Pinion Rack and Pinion
    Turning Diameter (Left) 36.4 37.1
    Turning Diameter (Right) 36.4 37.1
    Front Suspension Independent Independent
    Rear Suspension Semi-Independent Independent

Tires 215/70R16 225/70R16
    Dimensions
    Length (inches) 182.1 177.2
    Width (inches) 73.7 72.7
    Wheelbase (inches) 108.3 103.1
    Height (inches) 66.7 66.0
    Ground Clearance (inches) 7.2 7.4
    Curb Weight Automatic (lbs) 3779 3549

Dimensions - Interior
    Front Head Room (inches) 39.7 39.6
    Rear Head Room (inches) 39.1 39.2
    Front Leg Room (inches) 40.5 41.6
    Rear Leg Room (inches) 38.0 36.8
    Front Shoulder Room (inches) 58.7 56.3
    Rear Shoulder Room (inches) 58.8 56.5
    Front Hip Room (inches) 58.5 54.4
    Rear Hip Room (inches) 61.0 54.0
    Standard Seating 5 5

EPA Class SUV FWD SUV FWD

One of most important thing is the warranty.

Aztek is 3 years/36,000 miles and the SF is 10 year/100,000 miles, The Santa Fe has had it share of problems just like any first year production model. I purchased my SF back on 09/2001. I absolutely love it and I think it will be very reliable.
    It's pretty much a push...

The warranty is nice on the sante fe, but it's a warranty you might need. The Aztek has proven itself to be reliable in the 2 years it's been out. I don't think you will need the warranty for it. Although if you do need a warranty, you can get one for around $750 online. Thanks for the comparo, that really puts the $2002 rebate in perspective. When you take that rebate into consideration you get one heck of a deal!!
    Thanks for the input. The models I was looking at were the manual 4 cylinder santa fe and the base aztek Fwd. Reason, because of price. I have a pontiac dealer in town which is doubling the 2002 rebate to $4004, and would be able to get a tek, base, Fwd, no options, out the door for $18,000, this is after TTL. I would need to have a santa fe dealer give me invoice with no doc fees or anything to get 18,000 out the door, and thats on a 4 compared to a six. Now you may ask, why am I even wondering which to get with a deal on the aztek as aforementioned? Because I would still like to choose the car that is better in reliability for the longhaul. Not planning on taking offroad, or out of state (although that would remain an option I guess). Now you know what Im comparing in models and price. Looks like I will be having some closure on my decision soon, and I thank you for your help. What do you think of these prices? And comparitive models? Gm litogation, I can guess what you're going to say!!
    Oh, I forgot the most important of all

I emailed consumer reports hoping to get more info on this. I was told that the aztek will not be made next year and that the man who designed it, (or persons) was fired. Now that is another big concern of my husbands. any word on this?
    I have not heard about them not making the Aztek next year. Actually I heard exactly the opposite, Bob Lutz was quoted as stating the Aztek is a great idea, that they are looking at investing more into the looks of. It doesn't cost GM anything to produce the Aztek, it's produced right along the Rendevous. I'm thinking that CR guy was just a typical Domestic hater, like all of them at CR.

Here's a quote...
    "Outspoken and unabashed, Lutz has often criticized GM’s products in the past, but during his first appearance as a General Motors employee, he tried to put a good face on things. Wearing a GM tie clip, watch and employee pin from his days, almost 40 years ago, with the European Opel subsidiary, Lutz even found positive things to say about the oft-maligned Pontiac Aztek, which he saw as proof of GM’s willingness to take risks and innovate."
    If safety is a concern between the SF and tek. Then I would choose the SF. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, they gave a marginal rating to the tek and a good rating to the SF. Also you will get better gas mileage w/SF. The Edmunds Total Market value for this SF is $17235

IMO: I know the Pontiac dealer is offering $4004 as a rebate. Which is good but Hyundai has not been offering any rebates and yet the SF is selling like crazy. That is something for you to think about
    All I have to say is dateline was present during the tests. What does that mean? Well if the airbag fired late, that gas tank blew up when the Chevy truck was crash tested when they were present, coincidence? I'm not so sure, test the Tek again, lets see what happens. The RDV is equipped with the same airbag, as is the Park Avenue, Aurora, and Le Sabre. All these did fine, so why not test the Tek again, no dateline. Sorry I just don't trust them.

According to Santa Fe owners you guys don't get as good as mileage as the Tek.

Also, don't forget that the Tek did very well in all the other safety test.
    I have a SF LX V-6 and I average about 23 mpg combined. I know the 4 cylinder does get great mileage and that is what she is looking at. The most complaints about the gas mileage is the slowness of filling up the tank. When I first started driving my SF, my mileage was about 17 MPG. Then I read about how to fill the tank up properly and my mileage increased. But most everybody complains about mileage
    message for you in hyndai santa fe.

I dont own either of these vehicles yet but I must say that it seems that some of the comments on these boards tells me that they're are people with very strong feelings on their vehicle. It sometimes gives me the feeling Im talking to people that actually work for the manufacturers not the owners. Lets keep it friendly folks. :)
    of course I could get my dander up too and make it interesting!,,,,,,,,,, just kidding. :):)!!!!!
    dont get me wrong Im glad for the info but dont want to start any wars. but I will respond to comments like everyone else but just so you know, Im doing it nicely!
  • lpjxk0lpjxk0 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2002 Santa Fe 6cyl 4wd, the only problem I have is a clicking sound when I first start the vehicle in the morning. I thought it was from the serpentine belt, but Hyundai service said it was a faulty air condition compressor, they changed the compressor once before and the problem came back. Now they are going to change the compressor again and the serpentine belt, they claim there is a problem getting lubricant to the internal parts of the compressor when the vehicle is first started. Has anyone else had a similar problem!
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    I have had a 2002 GLS for a month now with only 1500 miles driven so far, and today while looking under the hood, I noticed moisture around the positive battery terminal. The wet area was about the size of a quarter. (yes, the weather is currently dry and no, I didn't just go through a car wash). No noticeable driving problems yet, just wondering if anyone has noticed or has had a battery problem...
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    I haven't noticed any moisture around either of my battery's terminals.('Course the GLS has less than 1300 miles on it.)If you think your moisture is from a battery leak, check that moisture for acid.
  • gunderson8gunderson8 Member Posts: 2
    I was sent a recall notice regarding the crankshaft sensor. It stated that the car could stall at anytime. You might want to check into it.
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    ... info regarding this is on the NHTSA site under Recalls. It gives the manufacture date ranges, the number of vehicles affected and gives a brief description of the nature of the problem...
  • tdoctortdoctor Member Posts: 1
    Have had my 2002 LX for 6 months and now have about 6000 miles. Generally I am well pleased but have several minor problems. 1) Appears to have excess road noise pickup 2) Wind noise on passenger door. Had gaskets replaced and still have noise. It is not cross bars as I removed them to check. 3) Hate the inside rearview mirror, can't judge distance of vehicles at night and hard to even tell a car is behind you.

Anyone else had the wind noise problem?
    tdoctor:
    I have an '02 GLS. No wind noise (when the windows are closed). If you are getting wind noise from a door, that's probably where you are getting the excess road noise, too. It would be like driving with a door that is not fully closed. Keep after this dealer to repair the wind noise problem. Or you might try to locate the 'leak' yourself. You (or a friend) take a bright light - shine it around the closed door edge. The second person should be on the other side of the door looking for the light leak. This is, of course, done at night, or in a dark garage.
    Or take a strip of cloth and close it in the door. Pull on the cloth and feel for the loose area. Point out the problem door area to the service guy. Your other choice - try another dealer. BTW, have you checked the fit of the door. Is it flush, plumb and square? Might be something easy like the latch just needing adjustment.

As to your hate of the rearview mirror - all I can suggest is buy another type of mirror.
    I felt (well, also currently feel) that the SF is quieter or as quiet as any of the competition out there...certainly quieter than the Tribscape. I DO get a very faint high pitched noise from one of the mirrors at times.... might have to do with oncoming wind as I hear it only rarely. If it gets annoying, I'll ask the dealer about it, but its no bother right now. Otherwise, I feel this is a quiet vehicle.
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I just purchased a 2002 LX also. I have not noticed excessive road noise in normal driving but I have noticed when you drive through water it sounds louder in the wheel wells then my Jeep Cherokee. I have not had any wind noise problems and the self-dimming rearview mirror seems normal to me. My only problem so far is that it seems to be a bird magnet. I don't know whether it's the pine green color or new car smell but they keep sitting on the roof rack and crapping all over it. I have 4 other cars in the driveway which remain untouched.
    I have Pine Green also... I guess I'd better park it in the garage, now that spring is here!
    The roof rack probably makes an ideal perch. Hopefully we won't wind up walking to our Santa Fes in the morning and wind up looking like some scene from "The Birds"! I guess I should've gotten Merlot! ;-)
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I heard that the Toyota.... OOPS, I mean the Lexus RX300 has engine sludge problems. OOOHH, too bad.
    That's funny because my Hyundai Santa Fe now has 13,500 hard driven miles on it and I haven't had even one problem with my SUV. And you Lexus RX300 owners thought that our Hyundai Santa Fe's were nothing but junk. Maybe it's the other way around.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Wow - did Town Hall's probation period end already? How time flies...

More to the subject...better check your VIN with Hyundai Central, buddy!

Lots of them Korean V-6s put together last year in the Santa Fe seem to be blowing metal pieces all over the road - and without notice according to Hyundai Corporate. I guess most of the Bad V-6s were in a factory lot about the time the ol' GTGTCobra-Mobile was being assembled, too! That that WOULD be a shame if it was YOUR ride...

As for your "no problems"...I seem to recall one or two of your last posts before Probation...something about your Santa Fe's paint rusting out on the way home from the dealership on Day #1 of ownership. Hey, nothing a 99-cent spray can can't take care of...

As for oil sludge in the Toy/Lexus...not a problem for owners that actually spend money changing oil & filters on their vehicle two or three times a year AND have great dealers for support...whoops, I forgot, you have NO idea what I'm talkin' about.

Final question - is that Mercedes of yours close to 3 million miles yet? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • casual310casual310 Member Posts: 1
    Forgive me if this has been addressed before.

After seeing a few post about shake/vibration at about 60-65mph I thought I might post about our experience.

We had the same problem(With our 2002 LX) but with more of a vibration than a shake.
    After having the tires balanced three times and rotated one time the problem continued. Three different Hyundai mechanics found no problems, one even told me "Oh well, Hyundai's are all like that. Live with it".
    I finally took to Manly Hyundai in Santa Rosa,Calif. and found a great Mechanic named Steve. Steve went for a ride with me and after 2 minutes said it did'nt feel like a tire problem, but like a drive shaft balance problem.
    After waiting for a couple of days (They provided a very nice rental car while waiting) for them to find a new drive shaft that matched. The Santa Fe was returned to me without the vibration.
    I was ready to start looking for a new car, but these guys restored out faith in Hyundai and in our Santa Fe.

So...If you live in The Northern California Bay Area and need a good Hyundai Service dept. Try Manly Hyundai in Santa Rosa.

Thanks
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    At first my dealer told me I was imagining things. My radio buzzes when on AM if I open a door, turn the wipers on, get near a red light, etc. Reception is poor. Dealer refered to Hyundai USA who refered problem back to them. Now the dealer says all the Santa Fes on their lot do the same thing. They have offered to replace the radio, but I'm not sure that will help. Has anyone had the same experience and found a fix for this? Thanks
    At the same dealership, ask if you can test drive another Santa Fe and check the AM radio on that Santa Fe. If the sound is the better then get a new radio. I know that I do not have that problem with my radio.

From the shores of Lake Grapevine, TX
  • fordeifordei Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone experiencing problems with the CD player in the Santa Fe 2001.
    Mine does not respond when switching from radio to cd & vice versa. And sometimes the cd will not eject!!
  • bryansevericbryanseveric Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2002 Santa Fe GLS 4wd (AWD). I had the same problem on my Santa Fe,clicking of the engine. Although I think we may have the problem fixed. I took it to the dealer today and they have ordered a Pulley-Idler. This has nothing to do with my air conditioning being on or off. Every time the car is idle it clicks. Although it is very normal for the Santa Fe's to click for the first 100-150 miles. The dealer I went to was in Pasadena Ca. Team Hyundai. There are great mechanics over there. This is also a Chevy dealer too!!!
  • azntrojanazntrojan Member Posts: 5
    congrats on your new ride... i test drove an LX a couple weeks ago at the Pasadena hyundai dealer.. and i was wondeirng how you got the price down from 21+ to 19 for the GLS?? did the dealer give you any discount??
  • waynesan1waynesan1 Member Posts: 10
    I too have wind noise. At first I thought it was around my front passenger window. I took it to the dealer and they determined that it was coming from the outside mirror. They replaced the mirror and the noise stopped for about two weeks and then returned. It is not a really loud sound, but just annoying because I know it shouldn't do this. I watched the mechanic check for the problem. He put tape around the mirror where it attaches to the door and in the gap where the mirror attaches the the mirror arm. You may want to try this yourself and see if you can tell a difference. Good luck.
  • jc58jc58 Member Posts: 48
    I was just wondering what the normal rpm's are for the v-6, at 60 or 70 mph. I was driving my wifes LX today and it seemed like the engine was winding out more than what I previously remember.

When going up through the gears, I feel 3 shifts, but no drop down in the rpm's as I feel in other vehicles when the torque converter locks up. This generally feels like another shift.

It was running at 2,250 at 60 and 2,500+ rpm,s at 70. I called the local dealership who thought this was a normal rpm level. They also said because it was a 4 speed auto, I should only feel 3 shifts, but I could swear in other vehicles I feel a 4th "shift" when the torque converted locks up.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

Thanks

No problems with any of our Hyundais. We have a 2000 Accent, a 2001 Sonata GLS and a 2002 Santa Fe LX. So far, we have not had to take any in for any servicing other than oil changes ( though we did just get a recall on the Accent).

I have owned over 30 cars, and by now most would have been in the shop. I do have the famous buzzing in the passenger side door on the Sonata and the occasional odd 2-3 shift, but no real problems.
    That is probably question number one for my dealer when I get my first oil change tomorrow... I notice the shift between 3rd and 4th occurs at almost 3500 RPM *under certain circumstances*, especially if I turn at a light onto our main road around here and then increase the acceleration. I don't floor it at the light but after I have made the turn (by which time it has shifted into 2nd) I increase pressure on the gas and it seems to do OK from 2nd to 3rd but the RPMs really get up there from 3rd to 4th. Still nowhere near the red line though, and after I am cruising at highway speed, RPMs normally stay in the 2200 range. I'll be on the turnpike tomorrow, so I'll do due diligence and present feedback as I can. I don't know whether its a problem or not, though I have read that there are some times where the shifting algorithm needs to be changed on some Hyundais. The 3 shifts are all fine at lower acceleration rates. Of course, if you were going 70 even on a slight uphill grade you might see some edge up in RPMs...were you level when you checked the RPMs at 70?
    jc... I verified your RPM analysis. I even got it up to 80 for a bit and it was up at 3000 RPM. I don't know if that is high or not. I have to try it on our Pontiac.... I did ask the dealer today, but I was only getting an oil change and the manager for Saturday was not the Hyundai expert, so he could not answer. Uphill or downhill grades have nothing to do with the RPMs, its pretty consistent on gentle grades (haven't tried it on steep grades). I wonder if the other "shift" you felt in other vehicles was overdrive...
    My tach (on '02 GLS) shows 2150, that is, half-way between 2100 and 2200 at 60mph. Assuming the tach and speedo are correct! No quick way to know, eh? =;-)
  • speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    If you're on a freeway with mile markers you can set your cruise right on 60 mph and time how long it is between markers. Should take exactly 60 seconds if your speedo's accurate...
  • agrogersagrogers Member Posts: 1
    I love my new Santa Fe LX FWD, except the MPG fluctuates from 27 MPG to 13 MPG, The so called power outlets and cigarette lighter is dead when the switch is off. I forget to turn off my cell phone and it makes the battery memory go crazy. The other is when a pebble is kicked up into the wheel well the noise is very loud (tinny) sound and startles me. Any suggestions?
  • dfrandindfrandin Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I have a '01 SF V6 2X2, with just over
    13k miles on it. My wife brought to my attention the other day that there was a loud roaring noise coming from the front of the car. I took it out and found the noise occurs above 40mph. Since this is the same noise we heard previously, at
    7k miles, and the dealer replaced the left front wheel bearing, I suspected that this was a repeat performance.. Sure enough, I took the car in, and they said "wheel bearing".. They've ordered the
    parts, and will replace the bearing AGAIN.. We've never been off-road
    with the vehicle, it's only driven on the street. My question to the group is: Are we an isolated case or does Hyundai/SF have a problem w/ wheel bearings? Twice in 13k miles is a bit hard to believe...
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    these §anta Fe problems remind me alot of the Kia Sportage problem that i used the read about on here. But i guess when you think about it aren't they basically made by the same people.?
    Kinda like a chevy / oldsmobile? Different names, but basically same people. From what i have been reading that new Saturn suv has alot of problems too. but i think the saturn is having more Seriously problems, problems with like Cv-joints and over major issues. Thank god i was blessed with NO problems with my 1999 tracker 2 door. "yeah i know laugh away" 8) I did change all fluids and i mean ALL fluid to amsoil synthetics. I beat this little thing as if i was trying to cause problems. i bought it as a off-road suv. cause it has TRUE 4x4. with 4hi & 4 low range. It just depresses me to see all these people buying new suv's from, either saturn, Hyundai, toyota etc. and it seems like all kinds of problems are popping up. i know no one builds a totally flawless suv. oh well hopefully i keep on having luck with my little toy §uv. Now watch after i said all of this i will have problems. I guess i better go out and wash it in Holy water. lol lol
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Cars take years to develop, and the Kia Sportage was engineered and introduced by Kia long before Hyundai purchased part of that company (51% ownership). So, no, they are not related in any material way. Same with Kia Spectra and Rio -- those cars are not yet related to any Hyundai product.
    arkainzeye:

You didn't say what engine in your Toy. If you've got one of those likely-to-sludge Toy engines, better keep the good eye on your oil. =;-)
    dfrandin:

I hope your mechanics have enough sense to look at the mating parts. If two left front bearings go out , it just might be the part that the bearing mates to, eh? That would be the er, ... um, ... let's see - the drive shaft goes through the bearing and the bearing mounts in the steering knuckle? I think (it's been a long time since I've been inside the drive of a FWD car ...).
    Also, I seem to remember reading about Hyundai having drive shaft balance problems, early on.
  • tsvisagetsvisage Member Posts: 5
    Anyone else experiencing a rather hard shift into 3rd gear when in automatic mode on the 2001 Santa Fe's (or 2002 for that matter). My dealership keeps resetting the computer and it drives like new for about 4 hours and then starts up again. I notice a lot of door noise (buzzing) and the hard shift depending on the different temperatures outside. The buzzing I can live with since I just put in the Infinity Basslink subwoofer and I can crank up the factory header now (that will be replaced as soon as possible). It's the hard shifting that really bothers me more than anything else. Just wondered if it was a common problem?

~tim
  • bhdbhd Member Posts: 2
    I've owned my 2002 Santa Fe (4 cyl) for about three weeks; have only 800 miles on it, but that's mostly because right now it's in the shop for the third time - a total of 10 days so far out of 25 days. The dealer didn't do a pre delivery check; all 5 tires were at 47 psi rather than 30; fluid levels were not checked; you need a death grip on the wheel else it'll head straight for the ditch; the alarm system will activate itself at will (whether I'm sitting in the car or not); there is a vibration/rattle at the bottom of the windshield and the door panels, and the lumbar support will disengage itself at will causing a jolt to my back. I'm now taking it to a different service department and they're trying hard - the first service dept. claimed to have set all the tires at 30 psi (4 tires were at 35, the spare was still 47) and fixed the alignment, which they didn't.
    Anyway, I think the most perplexing is the alignment problem. It's been done twice now and the computer readout states it might be a suspension problem. How could that be on a new car? Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Sure would like to be able to enjoy my new car!
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    Really wierd. On the hottest day so far in Vegas, at 1500 hours, with 2 vacationing guests from cool upstate NY in the car, my A/C konks out in heavy traffic. A hot ride home from the Strip. Next a m I'm at Planet Hyundai at 0700. Seems the cooling fan had a blade that split. This in turn ruptured the fan shroud, which then jammed against the shroud cover, causing the cooling fan motor to burn out. Had to get parts from LA. Service Mgr said he never say this before. However, Ford is recalling its Windstar minivans for the same problem. Maybe I got Ford parts in this car. Anyway, if your A/C konds out suddenly, check the fan blades and shroud, or maybe call your Ford dealer for advice.
  • john795john795 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Santa Fe with about 9000 mi So far so good , a couple of minor problems easily corrected. I just noticed on the rear door the bottom plastic molding(that covers bottom of door) has a space starting at the top where it meets the paint any body with this problem? when water runs in this can't be good.Is it easy enough to fix?
    JC
  • dougf912dougf912 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2001 gls santa fe with 15,600 miles. for the past several months when i turn on the a/c i heard a loud clicking noise. last night the noise got louder and then i lost power steering and noticed fluid from the power steering pump all over the road. It appeared to be a blown line from the power steering pump on the drivers side near the firewall......needless to say im not happy, it was flatbeded to a local dealership now im stuck with no vehicle.....anyone else have this happen????
  • john795john795 Member Posts: 6
    I have 2001 Santa Fe 6, AWD Discs all around. I have some serious rust on rear wheel hubs is this common to Hyundai's? I have looked at other make vehicles and have not seen rust like this . If any one can comment please respond.