Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    emen7emen7 Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2002 GLS. I have 2000 miles on it. My Santa Fe has a noise that becomes very obvious at 35-40 MPH. I can best describe it as a TEA KETTLE WHISTLE sound. It is not over-powering but is very annoying. The noise reappears at speeds over 65MPH. The dealer has said it is not wind noise, but rather comes from the drive train and is normal. I drove another new santa fe at the dealership and sure enough the noise is there at 35-40 MPH. However it is not as loud as mine. I cannot believe that this is normal. Any input from anyone with a similar problem is appreciated.
  • Options
    blusf02blusf02 Member Posts: 9
    I have a early 2002 and do not have this noise as you are talking about. I know you said it is not wind noise but just to make sure if you have the crossbars for the roof rack, make sure they are mounted in the right direction and reposition them futher back and see if this helps. It clearly shows what direction on the bottom of the bars as to what direction they should be facing.

Mine is a GLS FWD so there may be a difference in the transmission noises, not sure but this is all I can think of for now. Hope this helps.

Blue
  • Options
    Thanks Blue but it is not the roof racks already checked that out.

Thanks for taking the time to respond
  • Options
    lfd440lfd440 Member Posts: 33
    I posted my words of advice about two months ago regarding this problem. At 2,000 miles and at the time that the AC was needed i got a grinding clicking noise from the compresssor. An earlier post from a retired NYPD guy alerted me to this. What i did find out from MY Hyundai service dept was that there is a "pattern" of defective compressors in the LX models. Why LX? no idea. BUT it necessated changing out the AC compresor and another serpentine belt. After the changeout...no problems encountered. Definitely go after that suggestion first.
  • Options
    harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    emen7: I have an early 2002 GLS FWD and do NOT have a 'tea kettle whistle' noise. Or anything like a 'tea kettle whistle'.
    You might try folding the outside rear view mirrors in and see if that makes a difference at speed. I remember reading a thread (who can remember where) about a failed/missing gasket on an outside mirror, causing a whistling noise, on a Santa Fe.
  • Options
    Thanks Harry bu it's not the mirrors.

Let me try to explain again.

I described this noise as a tea kettle whistle. It might also be described as more of a whining noise. I used the term tea kettle because it is not a smooth clean sound, more a little garbled as a tea kettle sound.

The VERY ANNOYING NOISE becomes apparent at speeds of 35 to 40 MPH. When I accelerate to 40 and they let off the gas and slow to 35 it is the loudest and most obvious. I did drive another new 2002 GLS and noticed the same noise at the same speed. It was however very faint, mine is louder.
    If I have the radio on or the fan set at the number 3 speed the noise cannot be heard. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing but to me it is without a doubt a VERY ANNOYING NOISE.
  • Options
    EMEN7,

I have been thinking of your problem with more thought and I have serveral ideas. Seems maybe a door gasket air leak, Check and make sure the A/C fresh air vent is closing all the way and not making a whistle from the outside air. Also does it make the noise if the air is off completely with the a/c fresh air vent closed with no air comming through your vents? Also check and make sure that the foam rubber gaskets that meet the door and dash close tighly when the door is closed. I had a problem with passanger side. The foam gasket would whistle with the air on and the door vent closed causing back pressure and the air would whistle around the foam gasket. If not If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Blue
  • Options
    Blue

thanks for you input but the gaskets are not the problem.

I am amazed that I could drive another new GLS FWD and hear the same sound. I initially bought into the suggestion from the dealer that the sound is normal coming from some place in the drive train. I live in Florida and the dealer is a very large one. The problem is that not a single person has responded saying they have a similar noise. This leads me to believe that the sound is not normal. If you had it you would know it unless you never drive without the radio on. When I test drove the car, it was 90 degrees outside so the AC was on full blast making it impossible to hear the noise. I was hoping and expecting to find several people that have the same problem. I have searched the internet but as yet have had no luck. I intend to make this an issue with the dealer but have this bad feeling that when everything is said and done I will still be stuck with this VERY ANNOYING NOISE.
  • Options
    rbnatorrbnator Member Posts: 14
    My co-worker bought a 2001 GLS around the same time I purchased a 2001 LX model. We compare notes all the time. I had problems with hesitation prior to the recall notice and Hyundai fixed it. My co-worker had his back in the shop 3 times for a noise problem as you described. They found that the exhaust system was the cause and replaced the entire system. Hence, no more noise.
  • Options
    Thanks rbnator

if your co worker had the noise fixed as I defined in Msg. #357. I would love to get a little more info. I do not know if the name of the dealer can be posted, but maybe the town & state location. I would love to speak to the dealer about the repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My dealer has a tendency to try to dismiss this problem. I really love the car

By the way today I received in the mail, a letter from Huyndai describing the error in the HP rating that was published at 181 when in fact it is only 173. Hyundai offers an apology and to back it up an offer to increase one of the following.
    Extend roadside assistance to 10 yrs
    Extend 5yr 60,000 to 6yr 72,000 mi.
    Or extend powertrain from 10yr 100,000 to 12yr 120,000.

I am taking the extention of 5yr/60,000 mi. to 12/yr. 72,000mi

WHAT A WARRANTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HOPEFULLY THEY CAN FIX MY VERY ANNOYING NOISE
  • Options
    EMEN7,

I really hope they find your noise but if you have dealers like in my area, everytime you bring it in for a problem they say thats normal. Once I did that with 2 dealers and they both said the same thing. I called the Hyundai number told them the situation and was firm on getting it fixed. The very next day as my Santa was still at the dealer they found the problem, and even said I was rignt to begin with. Well if you think it is a problem call soon and report at least.

Blue
  • Options
    nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    The noise is most likely what is known as 'propeller' shaft whine (sounds somewhat like a turbo spinning up).
    It is very noticable on vehicles that have part time 4WD (when engaged, my '00 Rodeo has the noise). The noise stems from the front differential gears not having as smooth helical gear as the rear differential. It is just the noise of the gears meshing. If anyone has driven anything with a manual tranny with 'straight cut' gears (usually without synchros), you know exactly what the noise is. Also the distinctive noise of the old cars in gangster movies accelerating.
    Usual indicators are a more prominent noise when accelerating or decelerating at certain speeds. If it really-really- (and-I-mean really) bothers/annoys you, have the differential fluid changed, and also have the propeller (not as in airplane) shaft checked.
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    alclark29alclark29 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else received a letter from Hyundai about the error in horsepower. I have contacted my State Attorney Generals office and they stated that they have received another complaint. I was informed to write a letter and send copies of all of my paper work to them for review.
  • Options
    carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    I received mine today. Since I didn't buy a Santa Fe for the horsepower, its no big deal to me. I could understand being upset if you bought a Tibby, but not a Santa Fe. I'm not going to persue it any further since it doesn't make any difference to me. If you feel that badly about 8HP...do what you have to I guess. You'll spend more time getting aggrevated and get nothing in return.
  • Options
    alclark29alclark29 Member Posts: 2
    It is not the horsepower issue. It's the fact that the car manufacturer is selling us something that it's not. I paid for 181 horsepower vehicle not a 173 horsepower vehicle. Don't get me wrong but I love my Santa Fe, after driving a manual transmission Nissan P/U turck for 10 years.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Are you saying that Hyundai's three offers of compensation aren't adequate? Any class action gets watered down by payout time, so don't expect more than a few dollars. I would be inclined to expand my already generous warranty.
  • Options
    jchatt55jchatt55 Member Posts: 10
    Horsepower was one the considerations when I bought my Santa Fe. Yeah it's only 8 but who knows? I also have the tow package so I would like to know if this changes any of the tow ratings. What does Hyundai's offer give to the people who trade their cars in every 3 to 5 years? Nothing. They should offer some immediate remedies like seat heaters or free oil changes for 5 years. Give us something tangible we can enjoy while we are not enjoying those 8 HPs.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I hadn't considered the fact that so many people trade their cars in frequently (for me). The oil change option would have been a smart addition to their other offers.
  • Options
    pvalerypvalery Member Posts: 19
    At my 15,000 miles check up(it cost me $350), the dealer call me back and said that I need to replable my breaks due to wear.($180)
    Anyone here has any idea if this is ok?
  • Options
    maximasmaximas Member Posts: 2
    Letter from Hyundai..173 HP. Not acceptable. I go along with jchatt55, I plan on replacing my wife's 2002 Santa Fe in about 4 years. She puts about 4,000 miles a year on a car, so, with the warrantees.. no repairs. I want the horsepower.

Is this only on Santa Fe's V6? Or Are all Hyundai V6's lower then advertised? What about the 2003 Santa Fe's?

HOST, TALK TO ME!

Host and others...your comments please. Either on the Town Hall or direct to maximas00@hotmail.com.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    HOST, TALK TO ME!

Apparently several models are affected. You can read more about it here. This article has an 800 number you can call for more detail and you can also visit this site to see if your vehicle is affected and what remedies are being offered.

I hope that helps!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

• Options
    tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    Could we sound a little more pompous? Like any of us could tell the difference between a vehicle with 171 hp and one with 163 hp! That's less than a 5% change. None of us bought our Santa Fe without a test drive or two, or three, or ...
    When you drove it, you either felt the power was adequate, or it wasn't. If it wasn't, you shouldn't have purchased it. Anyone with serious towing needs is not buying a SF, or CRV, or Rav4, or any other car-based SUV. Hyundai is being incredibly fair by extending their warranty for this "problem". In case you couldn't tell, I still love my SF after 12,000 miles in the first five months!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, lots of guys are installing aftermarket air filters and "air swirl" devices and they are always raving by the extra 5 horses they get. Their dyno tests are always "seat of the pants" ones .

I suppose the car manufacturers will start covering their bases by adding the "up to xxx horsepower" language just like the aftermarket guys do, if the feds will let them.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I suppose the car manufacturers will start covering their bases ...

And the commercials will all end with Your Horsepower May Vary (YHMV) right behind the line about gas mileage (YMMV).

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    I am sorry that Mr. TsBerkey4 feels he has to berate those of us who have had a less than perfect experience with our Santa Fe's. It's easy to love a vehicle that has provided 12,000 trouble free miles. I invite him to drive a mile in my shoes. I compared several vehicles and found that nothing else really compared to the value and feel of the Santa Fe. I still believe that although my friends, neighbors, and co-workers think I am crazy.

I purchased one of the early 2001 vehicles. At 1632 miles the engine blew (the details of this are downright frightening). Then the replacement engine blew. The third engine was noisy, a gas hog, and never sounded right. We had an electrical problem that shut off all the lights, radio, blinkers, etc while you were driving. Several sensors blew in addition to the known throttle position sensor. Then the transfer case developed a leak that they tried to fix three times. They finally replaced the whole unit. My wife is on a first name basis with Roadside Assistance.

The Santa Fe was too unreliable to take on a long vacation road trip so we ended up buying another car. We finally cried uncle and amazingly Hyundai replaced our vehicle with a new 2002 model (GLS, 6Cyl, AWD, ABS).

I should play lotto. The new vehicle developed a miss in the engine. It was like someone tapped you from behind. They replaced the power control module. We picked up the car and two hours later the engine was barely running (module was not programmed right). Next they replaced something with the fuel injection system. The problem reappeared. Finally they called in the regional service expert. I was told that ultimately they replaced the plugs, wires, distributor, high voltage coil, fuel injection system, and anything that could possibly cause that problem. All this involved over 40 days in the shop, several visits from our Roadside Assistance friends, and multiple trips back and forth to the dealer.

Through all of this Roadside assistance worked well, the warranty worked great, we were always offered a courtesy car, and the people at Manly Service did everything in their power to help us. We never paid a nickel for a repair.

So anyway after three engines, two transfer cases, two vehicles, half a dozen blown sensors, countless towings, almost 80 days in the shop another thing comes along. Actually my choice should obviously be to extend my warranty.

I wouldn't call it being pompous. Frustrated and disappointed is more accurate. It's more than likely that I am taking out my frustrations on the horsepower issue.

Like I said before, I still like this vehicle. As a matter of fact my sister just bought one and she loves it.
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    but I'd certainly try to stay away from any thunderstorms! What's the old saying? If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all. It is very heartening to hear how Hyundai bent over backwards to make things right, though. Our later (built 02/01) 2001 LX has been very good to us in 26k miles so far, but I certainly understand how frustrating it can be to have your car constantly breaking down, even if they do provide a loaner. Here's hoping everything goes OK from now on.

-Jason
  • Options
    tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    Mr. jchatt55: By your own admission, you are taking your frustrations out on the horsepower issue, but you blast me for my comments? I am sorry that you have had such bad luck with your vehicles, but I can't imagine GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, or any other manufacturer taking care of your problem the way that you say Hyundai did. This was entirely my point. Hyundai screwed up, and they made a completely fair effort to resolve it. Imagine Ford and Firestone doing the same!!!

Mr. jchatt 55, you have every reason to be disappointed, but please don't take it out on me.
  • Options
    I was not blasting you. I went to great lengths to carefully explain where I am coming from. I simply said I was sorry you felt the need to berate those persons with a different opinion than yours (ref Msg # 373). I believe my comments were a polite response in contrast to the tone of your message. There are lots of different people out here with lots of different views. Let's respect everybody's opinion in here. I apologize for any offense you may have taken.
  • Options
    hizlanhizlan Member Posts: 2
    My wife drives a 2002 LX 4WD, and it exhibits
    the exact same symptoms.

Faint whistling/ringing most noticeable around
    65-75 mph and 35-40 mph. I heard the noise at
    other speeds as well, but not as often. And yes,
    it is annoying!

It appears when the throttle is released just
    enough to put the engine/transmission in between
    load and cruise.

To me, it sounds like the gear noise made by a
    slightly worn older manual transmission.

I took it to the dealer last week, and he couldn't
    duplicate (of course). So, I went on a ride with
    him, and what do you know, I couldn't duplicate
    at the 35-40 mph range, either. So we went on
    to the highway, and there it was, around 65-70.

He thinks it comes from an air baffle (or airbox
    or something like that) into which compressed air
    is rushed when the throttle is released. Says
    it's normal. I think not. He even showed me the
    box.

This Thursday, he's gonna give me a similar
    loaner and keep ours, so he can check it further, and I can see if it also has the noise.

I'll keep you posted. If you find more about it,
    please let me know. Also, if you have similar
    symptoms, please post.

M. Hizlan

P.S. We like the Santa Fe in general.
  • Options
    hizlanhizlan Member Posts: 2
    2002 Santa Fe LX 4WD.

At times, there appears a buzzing noise/vibration
    felt at the steering wheel and brake pedal at
    full stop after braking. Its intensity varies.

The dealer suggested that it was normal, and
    happens when the engine is under load at idle,
    like when the cooling fan comes on. I did verify
    afterwards that it is slightly felt when the AC
    cycles on. Didn't have time to check about the
    cooling fan, but he is probably right about that
    cause as well. Perhaps it's worse when both are
    on at full stop idle.

My question is, does anyone else have this?
    Would you consider it normal?

Thanks.

M. Hizlan
  • Options
    ebonyebonyebonyebony Member Posts: 1
    i also have the same problem with the sound at about 60 mph and 35 mph in my 4wd. it have read the past posts and there re a lot of possibilities for this problem. if anyone finds a sure fix please post.
  • Options
    huskerfansx4huskerfansx4 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2001 SANTE FE 6CYL FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. WHILE DRIVING AT SPEEDS BETWEEN 10 AND 40 A THUMPING NOISE COULD BE HEARD FROM THE FRONT END. THE DEALERSHIP REPLACED THE STRUTS. ON THE WAY HOME FROM THE DEALERSHIP THE NOISE WAS ACTUALLY WORSE. I TOOK IT BACK IN AND THEY ENDED UP REPLACING SWAY BARS AND BUSHINGS. AT LEAST THAT PROBLEM IS CORRECTED NOW. THEN A WEEK LATER THE ENGINE STARTED TO RUN ROUGH AND SEEMED LIKE THE TRANSMISSION WAS SLIPPING. I TOOK IT BACK IN AND THEY REPLACED A SENSOR ON THE DRIVE SHAFT. HOPEFULLY NO MORE PROBLEMS FOR A WHILE!!!!
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    SPEAK UP, WILLYA?
  • Options
    LOL!!
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I believe Mazda also had a problem when they misprinted the horsepower information on its MX-5 brochure 2 or 3 years ago. I think they said they can buy back the cars regardless the mileage or give the owners $500 or some kind of extended warranty. Correct me if I am wrong?
  • Options
    vallynnevallynne Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Santa Fe and at this moment I only have 6,400 miles on it. I love this vehicle, the way it handles and rides is beautiful. However, I have had several problems. First the smell of sulfur (rotten egg smell) every so often, then as I'm driving down the street the wheels felt like they went flat and the car stopped in the middle of the street...... the sensor had to be replaced. Just recently there was hesitation in starting the car......the battery had to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced any of these problems.

vallynne
  • Options
    gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I had a problem with the battery dying in my 2002 Santa Fe LX and took it to the dealership. They replaced the battery and said the problem was my after-market amp-- I replaced the factory stereo system with a Blaupunkt tape deck receiver, Blaupunkt 5 CD in-dash changer, Alpine Amp, Rockford Fosgate speakers and Kenwood subwoofer. I disconnected the amp and the new battery went dead within 2 weeks. I took it back to the dealership and they reprogramed the EMC (whatever that is), replaced the oxygen sensors and the battery. A couple of weeks later the battery dies again and I took it back in. This time they replaced the alternator with a higher amp alternator and replaced the battery with a stronger battery. That was 5 months ago and I have not had any problems. I suspect the problem all along was a faulty alternator.
  • Options
    lexconnerlexconner Member Posts: 25
    I have had my car for 18 months with only 19,000
    miles, took it for maintence today and was told that the freon was low and that it would be 72 dollars to fix it. I have a 7 years old nissan and it has never been charged.. They say there is no leak. And best yet its not covered by warranty! Anyone else had a similar problems
    Lex
  • Options
    #412:
    As you found out, Hyundai A/C freon warranty is for one year. However, the REAL question is: 'Does the A/C work OK?' If so, forget the charge.
  • Options
    dlfowlerdlfowler Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2002 Sante Fe in for the 30,000 mile checkup about 2 weeks ago. I told them that I was noticing that the transmission seemed to slip some and that when I travel up and down alot of mountains, I start smelling something burning and it smells like transmission fluid. Well, they checked it out and said that my transmission needed to be replaced. It is covered under warranty but what worries me is that they said that it is on back order and they have been waiting for 2 other transmissions besides mine for weeks! It sounds like there may be problems with the transmissions in these. Has anybody else had this problem?
  • Options
    kspineapplekspineapple Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 GLS Santa Fe and I love it! We took the first road trip in really cold weather a few weeks ago. The driver's side had hot air coming in on the left door side on the floor - the passenger had a blast of cold air on the right floor = all with heat in off position. My husband was roasting - I had two coats on my legs and freezing. The dealer can find no problem with this. Has anyone else experienced a problem with hot/ or cold air when the heater is in the off position?
  • Options
    kspineapple,

Not sure about the hot and cold at the same time but was your outside vent closed when this was happening? I had a problem with the damper that closes off the outside air from comming in and it had to be replaced. It was all electronicly controled. Maybe yours is stuck half way and it is allowing the heat from the heater core and the cold outside air to come in at the same time and directing one to one side and one to the other. Just suggestion.

mark
  • Options
    musiclawyermusiclawyer Member Posts: 20
    My wife hit a post and smashed in real good the front bumper below right headlamp of My 2002 Santa Fe. No damage to headlamps but bumper is a bit dislodged and will have to be replaced.
    In California, how much do you think a reputable body shop will charge to replace?????? From where would they get a Santa Fe bumper anyway???? I may decide to pay out of pocket and not go to insurance. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  • Options
    Cost of the bumper cover (part number:86510-28000) is $182.00. This is less tax, labor to remove old and install new and paint. Also, there may be damage to underlying parts like the absorber or supports. No way to give a good price without looking at the car. The parts will have to come from Hyundai.
  • Options
    roadkill55roadkill55 Member Posts: 25
    In 2001 I had the same thing. No damage except for the bumper. I do not have the exact figures in front of me. But, it was in the $400 range. The biggest expense was the labor to have it painted.
  • Options
    pingerpinger Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 sante fe LX and love it so far.
    One thing that i cant figure out is that the manual say parking lights will go out if left on when driver door is open but this is not happening. I am just afraid if i leave lights on by mistake I will have a dead battery. am i doing something wrong?
  • Options
    musiclawyermusiclawyer Member Posts: 20
    I don't have the manual in front of me. But the lights should go out when you open and then close the door. You would not want to leave your door open with the lights on for an extended period of time anyway, would you?
  • Options
    Parking or interior lights?

My interior lights go out after 30 minutes if I leave a door open, but parking lights doing the same thing is a new one to me.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Exterior Lights on 2002 SF:

The lights will go out when the driver's door is opened, if the lights were 'on' while driving and you did not turn the light switch 'off' when you shut off the engine/ignition.

If you turn 'on' the light switch while parked and the engine/ignition 'off', the lights will remain on, no matter what door is open or closed.

At least they did today. =;-)
  • Options
    Like I said, that's a new one on me!

Steve, Host