Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• pingerpinger Member Posts: 2
    Its my Parking Lights and they do not go out when i leave them on. heres what I do 1. shut car off 2.Leave lights on 3. pull key out and 4. open the door. They still stay on. The manual says when door is OPEN, (NOT CLOSED) lights go out. Its sounds to me like they forgot to wire lights to door. Im going to bring it back to dealer I sure hope they dont screw it up worse
  • terawagterawag Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same problems as you have, kspinapple!! We were driving in cold weather on the highway and had to stuff a blanket up into the passenger side area on the right so our legs wouldn't freeze! I've talked to my service department several times, and they have no explanation. The only thing that turns off the cold air is if you recirculate the air -- but then the windows fog up and the air gets stuffy on long trips! I'm going to be meeting with the regional service representative when he comes to town soon. I think it's a flaw in their design, or maybe a stuck vent as Mark (#416) suggested. I'll keep you posted.
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    I am so glad I checked the board this week. My wife drives our Santa Fe so there is rarely anyone on the passenger side. This past week, I was driving and she was saying that there was cold air just pouring in on the passenger side! It seems obvious that this is a design flaw, based upon the number of people having this problem. It seems pointless to take it to the dealer who will claim ignorance. I guess we should contact Hyundai directly?
  • lexconnerlexconner Member Posts: 25
    I'm not sure I understand you.
    Let me type it again.
    If you leave the vent open, cold air comes in the passenger side vent. And if you close it by setting the air to recirculate the cold air stops, so it don't work right? So its broken or a design flaw?
    Not much more to type here.......
    The problem with closing the vent is that in cold-weather states, where you run the heater all of the time, you can't do it without causing major problems with the windows fogging up. Having driven well over 600,000 miles in my three decades of driving, I can honestly say that I have never had a car in which I had to close the vent to prevent such a problem. I (or any other owner) should not have to constantly switch between vent open and closed because of this, so yes, this is a design flaw.
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    I can have my air intake control set to 'fresh' or 'recirculation' and have heated air blowing into the cabin, in either position (with the temperature control 'on', of course). If you cannot do that, have the dealer repair the unit.
    Thanks for responding to my plight. Unfortunately, getting hot air to blow is not the problem. The heat comes out fine. The problem is that cold air also comes in from the upper right corner of the footwell on the passenger side. We traveled about 600 miles this weekend and the problem does indeed seem to be lessened by using the recirc setting, but (as I said before) this causes problems both in fogging of windows and air quality for breathing. It seems that at least a few of us are experiencing this problem. I am going to try to contact the dealer this week and see what kind of a response that I get.

To all others, please understand one thing: I LOVE MY SANTA FE AND I WOULDN'T TAKE ANY OTHER SUV THAT COSTS UNDER $30K FOR IT'S REPLACEMENT!!! I simply want to find out what the problem is so I can get it fixed.
    tsberkey4:
        There's a door behind the glove box where a cabin filter can be inserted into the incoming airstream. Maybe that door popped open or an air duct hose slipped off. Hopefully the problem will be a small one. Good luck!
  • roadkill55roadkill55 Member Posts: 25
    Last night we had the same issue. My wife was freezing. I was burning up. I too would like to know what the dealer says. Please keep us informed. In the meantime I will remember to try the recirculate option. Maybe with it closed and the A/C on I can keep the condensation to a minimum.
  • blusf02blusf02 Member Posts: 9
    From what I see, what you are saying is with the fresh air vent open not all of the outside air is being directed through the heater core. Therefore some is directed to one side of the vehicle and some cold to the other. This would seem to be a damper problem or maybe some of the duct work is not connected before it get to the damper that directs the air. Just trying to figure this out. Does this sound correct to you?
  • terawagterawag Member Posts: 2
    Glad to see that others are having the same problem, I guess!! I still haven't seen the regional service engineer ... Maybe Hyundai should supply us with fur lined boots, flannel lined pants, and a Hudson blanket! This would probably be more reliable than waiting for Hyundai to fix the problem. Now, we're wondering if HOT air will be pouring in when we have the A/C on this summer?!!
    It is hard to believe that Hyundai hasn't verified the problem at this point, and come out with a recall and a fix. (I even checked the owner's manual of a 2003 model and the heating/venting system looks the same as mine -- a 2001 model.)
    I did call the 800 Hyundai number in my owner's manual and they assigned a problem number to my situation and referred me to the regional service engineer (who I'm waiting to see). Perhaps if more of you call the 800 number, they'll understand that many of us in the northern climate are having the same problem. What else can we do?
  • lcvulcanlcvulcan Member Posts: 5
    When I tried to start my 2003 Santa Fe GLS 4X4 this morning the check engine light came on and it stalled out. After 5 or 6 attempts it caught. My wife advised that it ran rough on her way to work. I made a service appointment and will advise on what transpires.

Purchased 11/02 and it now has approximately 1200 miles on it. Wife loves it.
  • lcvulcanlcvulcan Member Posts: 5
    Arrrggghhh.!!! Upon closer inspection discovered a large nest of mice under the engine cover. Apparently they thought the wires were delicious. Wires repaired, problem solved. Service appointment canceled. Mouse traps liberally applied throughout the garage.
    Every car I have owned has worked the way you discribed how yours is acting. And i was born and rasied in cold country. So I know exactly what you mean. maybe a hose is off under the dash? Please keep us informed as I plan to be up north with mine before winter is over. Thanks
  • majomajo Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of buying a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS/AWD and want to put a remote starter in it. The dealer informed me that Hyundai could deny warranty work if I have this installed. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? My son-in-law is an attorney and he said they could not deny warranty work unless this was specifically excluded. I really want the remote start as I've had it before but part of the great deal with the Hyundai is the warranty.
    Thanks for any feed back on this.

I am in the process of buying a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS/AWD and want to put a remote starter in it. The dealer informed me that Hyundai could deny warranty work if I have this installed.>

>===================

Why don't you have the dealer install it?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    The dealer's statement doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

I've heard a number of stories of aftermarket remote starter and sound system installations screwing up the electronics on a vehicle. Why should the manufacturer be on the hook for that?

harry31's suggestion is a good one - let the dealer do the installation, if they'll agree to it. You'll probably pay more, and might not like their system compared to an aftermarket one, but they'd be more likely to stand behind it if there is a problem.
  • majomajo Member Posts: 2
    The Dealer I'm going through anyway doesn't or won't install them. They will take it to a business that does do this and have it installed before I pick it up but won't make it part of the contract because of the warranty. My son-in-law is an attorney and he said that Hyundai would have a hard time denying warranty work unless it could specifically be tied to the remote start or the installation of it so I am going ahead with it. I agree if the add on causes the problem that warranty shouldn't be responsible but shouldn't be able to deny needed warranty work that would have nothing to do with it.
    Thanks!
  • sanibelsanibel Member Posts: 9
    I am hoping to purchase a 2003 Santa Fe LX before the end of the month. Am talking with a couple of dealers now re: price. Any word about specific problems with 2003 LX?
  • dougf912dougf912 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2001 GLS with 24,000. the cd player bit the dust... er2 error code reading and cd wont play or pop out. Anyone else have problems with cd?
    Mine went out at 19,000 the dealer put a new one in without question. Had to order it though as its not a dealer stocked item..
  • 11thcav11thcav Member Posts: 9
    Since I drive only two blocks to work, I had a remote starter installed before I took possession at the dealer. This was an aftermarket item, but was included on my paperwork. The install was done by someone the dealer works with. No mention was made about warrenty issue at any time.
  • rock42rock42 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 GLS Santa Fe last Wednesday, and I am beginning to think I made a big mistake. I too as the Santa Fe owner of messages 380-385 stated has heard annoying whistling noises. I test drove another Santa Fe and heard the same noise but not as noticable as my car. I am very upset about this and want to know if anyone else encountered this problem, and if so has it been fixed. I intend on contacing Hyundai directly on Monday. If anyone can give me any information, I would appreciate it.
  • roadkill55roadkill55 Member Posts: 25
    Do you have the cross rails? These could be the cause of the noise. The most common reason is that they have been installed backwards. Also could make some noise if they have been installed too far forward.
  • whylee77whylee77 Member Posts: 1
    I literally just got back from my dealership and they had to replace my cross rails on my luggage rack and move one of them farther up. He told me the dealer that I bought it from should have taken care of it. He fixed it in 20 minutes, but if it would have taken longer and if I needed to get to work he would have given me a loaner of my choice.
    Extremely nice, went totally out of his way, and made sure I was happy..

The noise is gone and I am happy... I am very glad I bought this car over any of the other ones on the Market.
  • sfungsfung Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Santa Fe in November 2000. It has been running well until about few months ago. Last week, while I was driving in the freeway, the car just lost power and die. There was no sound of any kind that would have alerted me that a problem was developing. The car had to be towed back to the dealership. ( The same situation as in message 203)

The engine had to be replaced. The service manager showed me the dead engine. One of the cylinders steel sleeve was broken apart and the piston head was also destroyed. The months prior to the engine failure, the Check Engine light came on twice. The engine was running very rough and with diminished power. It is like riding a horse. After stopping for a few hours, the car was running normal again. Each time the mechanic could not find any problem with the car.

It has been a week since I got the new engine. It is still not running right and is in the shop again. There is a "thumping" sound from the engine or transmission and the car is not running smoothly. I don't know if it is a engine problem or transmission problem. The shop manager said it could be a mis-fired spark plug. I'll find out tomorrow as they are busy today.
  • wowwabbitwowwabbit Member Posts: 5
    GLS with ABS $19500 which includes $1000 rebate-good or bad price?
  • taylor809taylor809 Member Posts: 2
    Could anybody advise me if your having this same problem? When I decelerate from 40 down through 30 my transmission has a distinctive whistle sound. It happens all the time and is very annoying. The dealershipship says this is normal for the 2002 Santa Fe with an auto transmission and the 4 cylinder engine. This vehicle does not have the AWD.

Thanks in advance.
  • steve285steve285 Member Posts: 8
    I just took delivery on a 2003 Santa Fe. I was surprised to find out that it doesn't have automatic daytime running lights, especially since it is incredibly well equipped.

I thought that automatic daytime running lights were required on all new cars. There are statistics showing that this feature reduces daytime collisions. Yes, I realize that the headlights can just be turned on manually, but no human being is perfectly consistent.

Does anyone know why this feature was omitted?
    Hyundai did us a favor by leaving off this so-called "feature". If you like DRL's, simply leave your light switch in the on position at all times. Your lights will turn on when you start the car and turn off when you exit the vehicle. However, unlike the moronic design of GM (and possibly others), you can turn your lights off when you are in a situation when you want to out of courtesy to other drivers. Trust me, this is a much better approach.
    Thanks for the quick response.

However, leaving the headlights on all the time is not really the same as a daytime running light. With the DRL feature, the voltage to the low beam is dropped by a volt or more by a diode string. This reduces apparent brightness only slightly while drastically reducing wear and tear on the low beam. Turning on the low beams restores full brightness. Expect to replace pricey enhanced brightness headlamps like the Sylvania Silver Star ($45 the pair) every six months or less if leaving the low beams on continuously.

My question was really this: Has the Federal government repealed the mandate for daytime running lights, or is the Santa Fe exempt for some reason?
  • robjoerobjoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Santa Fe GLS, and for the last month it has been out of commision for repairs. My enging light has come on and it has gone to the dealer four times. As of today they have had it for two weeks. They kept saying it was the spark plugs and then the wires, and this time they have done something with a cylander. I finally contacted an attorney who is making this seem an easy case to win. Has anyone had experience with this?
    steve285:

Your question intrigued me so I tried to research it. I can find nothing on the NHTSA or DOT websites that say that DRL's are required, or soon will be. It could be that they gave the manufacturers a big phase-in period.
    With regard to your concern about lights burning out, I can honestly say that my Santa Fe's standard headlamps are far and away the best factory lights that I have ever owned. The only thing that I can even compare them to is a pair of aftermarket lights by Cibie that I bought way back in the 70's! We have 20K miles on our Santa Fe in the first 11 months and have had no failures of any lighting component. (We also have our fog lights illuminated at all times that our headlamps are on because research shows that makes people less likely to dangerously pull out in front of you!) Again, best of luck with your Hyundai.
    I took delivery of a four cylinder Santa Fe with automatic transmission on 4/14/03. After reading your post, I found that my Santa Fe does make the sound you describe. However, it is so faint that I doubt anyone would find it annoying. It can only be heard on smooth pavement, with the radio off, and with the ventilation fan turned all the way down or off. I would never have noticed it if I hadn't been listening specifically for it.

To me, it sounds like a normal noise of the transmission gears meshing after the transmission downshifts from fourth to third.

Try going to a couple of dealerships and taking similarly equipped vehicles for test drives. This should determine whether you have an abnormal transmission or just an impressive set of ears.
  • sandranancysandranancy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Santa Fe in Feb. I also had the whistling noise. Turned out to be the cross rails (as the service guy said). Took them off totally and the noise was gone. If you don't use them often, just remove them til needed. I didn't check to see if they were on backward since the service guy installed them - not me. I also didn't try moving them around. As I said, I don't use them often, so removal was best option. Otherwise, am happy with the car. Just wish they would put in auto driver seat option!! Also getting horrible fuel mileage (19mpg). For the money tho..great deal!!
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    SandraNancy,
    Can you please elaborate on your fuel mileage comment? Do you have the V6 FWD? Do you primarily drive in the city?

Thanks!
    I have my brand new replacement engine for 3 weeks now. Today, the same old problem occured again - the engine was running rough and followed by the "check engine" coming on. I stopped the car for an hour and the problem went away. The check engine light was off and the car was running smoothly again. It is no use to take the car to the shop when the light is not on. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with the car when it happened with the old engine. I am frustrated with this car because I have to spend so much time at the repair shop. Is there such a thing as an on board computer that controls the functioning of the engine? May be it is the computer that is not working properly? Anybody knows?
  • perogiperogi Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Sante Fe V6 with about 40k miles. My wife and I have loved this car but have noticed an annoying shudder at about 40 mph in 4th gear. When traveling along on a slight incline the car might kick into 4th gear at about 42 mph if you back off on the accelerator. Gently applying the accelerator at about 40mph, the car remains in 4th gear and shudders the way a standard drive would if you try to start from a stop in 3rd or 4th gear. It seems to be worse when the car is warmed up. We're also getting a jerk or a stutter occasionally as if tapped from behind when changing between gears. My solution has been to hit the tiptronic and gear it back into 3rd, but it doesn't seem right.

We brought the car in but the mechanic did not experience the problem. We're going to try again, but wonder if anyone has experienced this.
  • jchatt55jchatt55 Member Posts: 10
    Hey Sam. We too blew the engine in our 2000 Hyundai. The second engine also blew. This is a common well documented problem with early model engines (built before Nov 2000) We never liked the 3rd engine. The car just didn't run the same. We had a myriad of other problems, electrical, transfer case, check engine lights etc. I presented a chronology of our problems to my service manager. He gave it to the regional manager and eventually Hyundai replaced our vehicle. Now that's a great warranty!
    The story continues: The igition coil assembly was replaced and the car ran well for 3 days. Today the transmission gave me a jolt during driving and the "check engine" light came on again. I went back to the shop again, the computer code indicated missed signal to the transmission. Again, I was told it could be the moisture in the sensor. After 2 hours at the shop I was told everything should be fine now. But on the way home the same problem occured again. Tomorrow I have to go back to the shop again. I wish Hyundai will replace my car. Trading in my car for a 2003 Santa Fe will set me back $8500 Can.
  • jody3120jody3120 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Santa Fe and the engine keeps stalling when sitting still. The recalled crankshaft was replaced last month, but the problem continues. I am very frustrated at this point because the Hyundai service department cannot find anything wrong with the truck - simply because their computer sensors are not detecting a problem. I have researched the Lemon Law, but I have 40k miles on the truck and it is 2 years old. Is anyone having a similar problem????? For the first 1.5 yrs I sang Hyundai's praises, but I am sure that I will never buy another.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Is it when you've been driving for a while and then stop at a light? Or does it just randomly die after it's been idling for a while?

Will it start back up and be OK after it dies, or is it hard to restart?

If it only dies after driving for a while and then coming to a stop it may actually be a transmission problem. Most modern automatics have a feature that mechanically locks the engine and transmission once the car is at cruising speed. If it fails to unlock the car will die, just like in a manual transmission car if you stop with the car in gear. Try putting the car in neutral when you come to a stop and see if the problem continues.

Now, having said all that, if your dealer can replicate the problem they have to fix it - it's as simple as that. Many Hyundai dealers have a loaner car program, so if yours doesn't find one that does. Knowing you're racking up miles on one of their cars tends to motivate a dealership to fix yours.

If all else fails, call Hyundai at 1-800-633-5151 and tell them about your problems. They've been bending over backwards to help owners. They've worked very hard to improve their image.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

-Jason
  • jody3120jody3120 Member Posts: 2
    Jason,

It stalls differently all the time. For example, it has stalled while sitting in traffic for 5 minutes, sitting in stop and go traffic for over an hour, idling at a stop light, etc. There's no pattern whatsoever.

For the most part, it has restarted OK. However, we had to jumpstart the battery a few weeks. We thought that we had left the interior light on, but that was not the case.

As far as service goes, Hyundai has replaced the crankshaft sensor, given me two new batteries and finally an altnernator to no avail. After picking the truck up on Saturday, it stalled on Sunday! Needless to say, my truck is now considered an open case with Hyundai.

I will keep you updated.

Jody
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Hi, Jody,

I agree with you that Hyundai should either replace your vehicle or quickly determine the root cause of this problem.

I would write a one page letter to the Hyundai VP of Customer Service/Satisfaction. Simply state the facts and do not get emotional in the letter.

Please keep us posted. Good Luck.
  • john2003john2003 Member Posts: 1
    V6, AWD. Purchased new 12/01, 8k miles, 14-16 mpg city, 18 mpg highway. Seems a far cry from the 19/23 advertised. Any thoughts anyone?
  • nwebsternwebster Member Posts: 3
    john2003, Do you live in a snowy climate? Around here in the midwest the gas mixture changes to prevent the gas from freeezing in the really cold temps, so your mileage does go down...
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    I have an '02 GLS with 16000 miles on it, and the fuse that controls the power windows and locks has blown twice in the last month! The first time, I thought it was from our kids fiddling around with the window buttons in the back seats, so we engaged the "window lock", then today as I was driving, I opened the window, it opened part way then stopped, I tried the button again, then all the window buttons and the pwr locks, realized, s***, it blew again! This is a 30 amp fuse that is in the fuse box under the hood, and of course, you can only get the fuse at a Hyundai dealership (last time I had the car in for other work, and they charged $18 labor + the $6 cost for the fuse install). Since its a holiday weekend, will have to wait till Tuesday to take it back in. Should I just buy another fuse from the dealers parts dept, or leave the vehicle to have them check for some other electrical fault? We love the car, but I just read pretty much this entire board and am wondering what else might go wrong in the future...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It sounds like you have a short circuit - personally, I'd not replace the fuse until I had it checked out but that's just me!

tidester, host
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Dealers usually cover a repair for a specified period of time, so the last fuse repair/replace should be covered.
      If it was me (yeah, I know!) I'd buy a coupla fuse taps and use those twenty-five cent glass fuses (AGC-30).
      Then, when one of your window motors finally decides to die, you've spent two, three dollars on fuses.
      Dealers can really milk those intermittants. =;-)