Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• heyrobbheyrobb Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know how to deal with this problem: Engine surges when trying to maintain a constant speed (try to hold 60 mph, it will surge to 62, drop back to 60, then repeat the surge again every minute or so). Dealer had no luck locating a solution. 2004 Sante Fe LX 3.5L with auto climate control, 500 miles, only does it with A/C on, doesn't do it with cruise control on. Dealer says it might just be the "normal" cycling of the A/C compressor, but it is very noticeable and annoying, too noticeable in my opinon to be "normal". Does anyone here think this sounds "normal" (I'm afraid that I won't be able to get used to it, I've never had a vehicle act like this simply because of the A/C). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob.
  • bumblesbumbles Member Posts: 3
    Have 23,000 miles on my SF. The a/c started blowing warm air. Brought it in to the dealer. Told me it was not under warranty because it was not a manufacturer's defect. Said there were leaves in the evaporator and it was corroded. Cost to fix $650.00. Told them there must be a defect in the design of the car if leaves can get into the evaporator. Car is always garaged. District manager said no way would they cover it. I am seething over their decision.
  • nobushnobush Member Posts: 2
    I have been having weird electrical issues popping up also. First my alarm is very quiet, it is almost hard to hear. Then last week my defrost indicator light won't go off. Now my check engine light came on. This is commonly a problem when your gas cap is not tightened, but I made sure it was and it hasn't turned off yet. The dealer says it is okay to drive. I have loved my Sante Fe so far but these little gliches have me wondering if maybe there isn't an electrical problem.
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    One of the main causes of multiple electrical problems is the battery failing. Do you have a voltmeter? Check your charging voltage.
  • nobushnobush Member Posts: 2
    What should the meter read when my sante is running? Is this what you mean? thanks
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I would to get another remote for my 2004 santa fe. I can get one on ebay for a reasonable price. The dealer wanted $90 when I bought my car. Can anyone tell me how to program the remote?
  • gentle13gentle13 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 model 2.4 manual Santa fe. I have got 24,000km on it and it has been pretty okay. I love it.

But now it seems to stall occassionally on motion. When it does all I have to do is park, wait a while and restart. Then is keeps on. At the garage they have attempted to clean the fuel tank and filters located below back seat. it improved only a bit but still happens occassionally. Now someone suggest it might be a sensor problem. I am not quite happy having the eletronics fiddle with.

Has anyone had this kind of problem? can anyone help out?
  • kalabankalaban Member Posts: 17
    Hi! Just bought a 2004 GLS 3.5 and pick it up tonight. I am still unsure about my purchase as my last 3 cars have been Hondas without a single issue.

Reading this board makes me nervous :) Anything I should be "looking" for that has been common to this model of Santa Fe?

Thanks
  • mmh3mmh3 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had to have their transmission replaced at 1200 miles on their Sante Fe. We own a 2004 GLS 3.5L 4wd version and had to have our transmission replaced. We were told that it was defective. They replaced the seals 2 different times and when the leak persisted, they changed the transmission.

Since the transmission has been changed, the car drives differently. It used to have a power surge upon initial acceleration. Now that surge of power is gone. On the freeway, it feels like the car has less acceleration than before.

Can anyone explain why there might be a change in the power ?

Thanks for any help !
    Hi kalaban,

Look out for transmission fluid leaks. My new Sante Fe just had the transmission replaced after only 1200 miles.

Good Luck !
  • territerri Member Posts: 1
    I brought home a new santa fe yesterday and
    after driving it and parking it, it makes a
    sizzling noise at the front end, like something is bubbling over. Is this a normal noise for
    a new hyundai?
    Hi Terri,

There should not be any strange noise as you describe. Mine is silent after it is turned off. I would take it back to the dealer and have them determine the cause.

Good luck !
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Member Posts: 11
    Terri, Were you running the A/C before you parked it and was it very humid? If so, condensation that normally builds up in the evaporator (located in the dash near the firewall) was probably draining off to the ground as it should. It is possible that the condensation is dripping onto a hot exhaust component causing the "sizzling" sound. I don't think this is a problem, just possibly a poor drainage design. Check underneath the vehicle for water next time you hear the sound. Maybe the dealer can tell you if this is normal or if a drainage tube is missing or mis-aligned.
    nobush#738:

Sorry for the delay - went on a short trip. HyundaiUSA gives the regulator set voltage as 14.4 +/- 0.3 volts. My SF has 14.06 volts across the battery with everything turned off (except the engine!) at approx 1400rpm.

Works for me - but living in a swamp, I'm not stuck in traffic so my battery doesn't get any 'excess' drain. Also I charge my batteries (boat, riding lawnmower, car etc.) approx once per month.
  • vinny1vinny1 Member Posts: 3
    I just got my SF 1 month ago and it's starting to do the same. Did you also feel it going from 1st to 2nd and down shifting back with a slight jurk .

Thanks
    Vinny1
  • lcvulcanlcvulcan Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up my '03 Santa Fe from the dealer's service garage. I have owned it since 12/02 and it has just over 6000 miles. It required new front pads and service to all the brake slides. The service manager advised that it is a known and common problem. The brake slides corrode causing the brakes to stick thus causing excessive wear and and the occasional horrendous brake squeal.Dealership sandblasted the slides and lubricated them to prevent re-occurence. He said Hyundai is aware of the problem but chooses to do nothing about it as it is only affecting snowy northern states. Not covered by the warranty because the car is over a year old. Just a FYI...............
  • shay3shay3 Member Posts: 1
    Got my 2004 LX less than 3 weeks ago and it is starting to do the same. I also feel a slight jerk when going from 1st to 2nd and down shifting back.
  • chelledawn29chelledawn29 Member Posts: 2
    My new Santa Fe is doing the same thing. I took it to the dealership and they said that the transmission flued was leaking from a cap not on tight enough. Funny,I never noticed any spots in the garage and to this day it still makes the sound.
  • chelledawn29chelledawn29 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact model of Santa Fe 3.5 L 2004 GLS that you do and I have a major problem with the acceleration dropping and revving with no change in the gas pedal. It is very noticeable when driving.
    I took it to the dealership when the car would "choke" and die when stopped at a stop light. They said it was something that was recalled anyway so they would fix it. I can tell a major difference in power when starting from a dead stop or trying to pass since they fixed the problem. The vehicle has not stalled out since this (about a month ago) but the changes in acceleration have not stopped either.
  • vinny1vinny1 Member Posts: 3
    I took it to the dealer and they are getting a computer software upgrade for the 2.7 lt. . They say it will fix the trans. I will let you know how it go's.
  • glassbudglassbud Member Posts: 12
    I have the exact same problem with my new 2004 GLS. I hear this drip and sizzle sound after I park the car (and I've been using the AC). I brought it back to the dealer who said it is water dripping from the AC condenser onto the hot engine block. They said not to worry as long as you don't "smell anything unusual" like oil burning. Water should NOT have any smell... Anyone else notice this problem with the AC on??
  • rogerh_60047rogerh_60047 Member Posts: 2
    After several long trips with my 2004 Santa Fe I noticed that after traveling 30 miles my odometer reads 31 miles driven. I tested this in different states watching the mile markers. This means that for about every 100 miles driven the odometer registered 103 miles (give or take a 10th) or a 3% error. I called the service department and they told me that this has not been a complaint with others and bring it in for them to test. I asked what they would if I am right and did not receive an answer.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem
    rogerh_60047
      Speedometers are notoriously inaccurate. Japanese motorcycle odometers used to be up to ten percent off. My suggestion is not to waste your time - you'll just get a headache. ;-)
  • lshirley2lshirley2 Member Posts: 14
    My 2001 V6 Santa Fe has 65,000 miles on it. As I was cruising at 70 mph with no warning the engine quit. I managed to get to the side of the freeway and called the road service. At the dealer they found that the bearings were broken and the rods were scared. Result a new engine was put in. They did charge me for a tune up and plug cables, but the engine was free. One hundred miles later the check engine light came on. The dealer told me that the catalytic converter was shot as a result of the engine misfiring. Whatever, a new converter is in also covered by warranty. The dealership was very helpful, but I am a little wary of taking the car on long trips right now.
  • big54big54 Member Posts: 2
    My wife bought a 2003 santa fe june 2003 (new).It has pulled to the right since day 1 and was into the dealers 3 times in the first few weeks. They had it aligned twice and rotated the tires the 3rd time-nothing changed.The car now has 13000 miles on it - every time she took it in for oil changes she complained about the problem to no avail. There is now a new service manager he has had the car 3-4 times most recently 7-21-04 when factory engineers were in town and test drove it. They then said this is designed into this vehicle as a safety feature in case you fall asleep but they do admit it is more of a pull than normal.Sounds like a lot of BULL to us but I need to know if any part of this is true. The dealer is in Longmont,Colorado. Thanks in advance,Jim. P.S. it has the 3.5 engine.
  • isend5ohisend5oh Member Posts: 1
    Mine is 2 wks old and sizzles too!
    big54:
     A car should NOT pull. It will drift according to the crown of the road - but not pull. Determine if your dealer has a working Hunter GSP9700 machine (with a certified operator). If not, have them take the car to a service center that has such a Hunter machine. This machine will find almost all tire and WHEEL problems. If your present dealer has no GSP9700 but claims the car was examined on such a machine, ask him where. Then go and ask this other service center if they REALLY examined your vehicle. And what was the result of that examination; what was their recommendation.
     Get this problem on the dealer's paperwork - make sure the Longmont service manager writes that the Santa Fe 'pulls'. Write it on every service order - even an oil change. Don't know what Colorado has for a lemon law but that is always a possibility. You need documentation. The car is already over a year old. You are wasting time. Time is the dealer's good friend and ally.

Also, you are close enough to the Big City to take the SF to another dealer, if this dealer continues to blow smoke up your wife's Santa Fe!
    There are dealers that have trained mechanics working for them

(Usual disclaimers)
  • big54big54 Member Posts: 2
    harry 31 , do you or anyone else know a way to contact the main company as the 2 dealers we have contacted cant or wont tell the big secret for getting in touch with them.
    big54:
     I don't wanna sound like a smart [non-permissible content removed] (but) that info is in the books (booklets?) that you received when the car was purchased. If you are going to contact the company, you should ask for a case number.

A: You may call us toll free at 800-633-5151 (5:00a.m.-6:00p.m. Pacific Standard Time, Monday - Friday) or write to us at:

Hyundai Motor America
    Consumer Affairs Department
    P.O. Box 20850
    Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No phone numbers please (per the Rules of the Road link above):

There is no way Edmunds.com can validate that a phone number is legitimate, and is not being posted to harass someone.

Steve, Host
  • redbirchredbirch Member Posts: 5
    vinny1,
    could you please let us know how it goes after the software upgrade?
    I bought my 2004 GLS on June 30, it started to act this kind of 1st and 2nd gear back and forth jumping, but it is only after driving on highway.
    Thanks alot.
  • rogerh_60047rogerh_60047 Member Posts: 2
    If all Santa Fe's are off 3 % that means they gain 3000 miles on there 100,000 mile warranty. That adds up to a lot of miles they don't have to cover
    I'm not sure if you all know about this yet, but I just brought my 2004 GLS 2WD in for it's first service and oil change. I mentioned to the service rep that the gas pedal was extremely sensitive to touch, and that a car had a habit of "jumping" on initial acceleration. He informed me they had just received new software updates for ALL three SF engines. He downloaded the new software into the car and reset what he called "the adaptives". I assume that the adaptives are the computers settings that adjust to your driving style. The acceleration is markedly smoother without that initial jump I mentioned earlier. This software for the 3.5 GLS was updated for cars manufactured BEFORE February 10th 2004. Anyone else have a similar experience??
    I'm having the same problem and bought my GLS 3.5 AWD on June 30, 2004. I am having this jerky movement when I start from a stopped position, almost like the car is briefly over accelerating - Very annoying.

I brought my car in last week and they provided this update you are talking about, but nothing has changed. The tech even said they couldn't get my car to accept the update and they had to call som special Hyundai computer techs to make the vehicle accept the update. I will be bringing it back this week for a second time.

This makes me nervous, as I don't want to have to go the Lemon Law route.

Did your update change anything for your vehicle??
    kalaban.... The software update did change that rapid acceleration in my car. Did the service department have any feeling as to why your car's computer did not accept the update? That makes me think that perhaps the computer is the problem in your car, not the engine and not the transmission. Will the dealer be willing to change out the computer? If this persists, and you are not satisfied, definately get Hyundai corporate involved. The number is in the back of one of your service manuals. When I brought my car in the other day, the service rep gave me a sense that Hyundai is aware of this problem in both the GLS 2.7/3.5 and Limited 3.5 models.
    Glassbud:

Knowing a few things about computers, I was very concerned about why my car "wouldn't accept the update". They gave me the excuse that mine was the first to have the update provided in my area and they hadn't received much information on what to do.

I agree, it may be the computer. I am bringing my car in today and 8/10/04 and I will ask them to consider swapping the computer.

If Hyundai wants to keep thier reliability rating and this issue is wide spread, they better answer the call.
  • melemele Member Posts: 1
    When I move my foot from the gas to the brake(and vice versa)the floor pops up and down under my right heel near the gas pedal. I was told that this is characteristic of the Santa Fe. Anyone else experience this? It's really annoying.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    That sounds unusual to me. Probably something as simple as a loose piece of panel. When a dealer claims something like this is normal, ask to sit in another Santa Fe and see if you experience this in it. If not, demand to have the problem resolved.
    Well, I brought the car in yesterday and the service dept. stated: "We can't reproduce the problem".

I made the service manager drive with me and the damn car wouldn't reproduce the problem. I told them I wasn't going to settle for them sweeping this under the carpet. They offered to have me "talk with a factory rep" and I declined.

I told them that this problem wasn't unique to me and that I was frustrated with thier hesitation in solving the problem. They offered to call Hyundai tommorow to get "feedback".

I'm not sure what my next step is, but I am thinking about calling the Dealer manager, as we have bought 4 cars from this group in the last 6 years.

Any suggestions?
    Well,

I was called by the dealer and they told me they are going to just replace the transmission with a new one. I am very happy about this, as eventually we would've been there at some point.

The Santa Fe goes in on 8/23/04 and I'll report after I get it back
  • azguy77azguy77 Member Posts: 6
    Purchased a Santa FE LX, 3.7 Liter 4X2, it now has less than 3,300 miles on it. My "home link system" started to radial. Took it to the dealership, and because they could not tighten the system, the entire mirror plus homelink system would be replaced. Anyone else have this problem? Just happy that its going to be fixed, free of charge. So far, so good, Hyundai is holding up to its warranty!
  • andyduandydu Member Posts: 1
    Brought the new LX 3.6l 4WD home and in two days I saw a puddle of tranny fluid under it. Took it in. They replaced a seal. Got it back. Four days later, same puddle. They wanted to replace the seal again. I was pissed! Now they are instead replacing the tranny. Will get it back in two days. Hopefully, this will be the end of it. I'd like to drive my new car instead of loaners.
  • chuckie_cheezchuckie_cheez Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L AWD with 3100 miles on it. From the day we bought it I've had a lurch problem. While sitting idling the transmission will give a "bump" and the car will move noticeably. This will sometimes happen when in reverse. Also, when accelerating from a standstill the car will give a tiny hesitation before going. The shifting is rough too. Any advice before I take it to the dealer?
  • socesoce Member Posts: 2
    Mine is just as old as yours.I believe that sizzling sound is coming from the ac which is noticeable after driving for a while with the ac on and engine turned off. Water drips underneath and hit the hot exhaust system.
  • socesoce Member Posts: 2
    Yes.Mine is an "04 3.5 L. Same thing.I will mention it to the dealer when I go for my first oil change.
  • heyrobbheyrobb Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody, has anyone else had a problem with the car surging forward when cruising along on the highway?
    '04 LX 3.5L
  • tjd12tjd12 Member Posts: 1
    can i ask?? what problems were you having that lead to having to get a new trans in your sante fe?
    Is the sante fe a 2004?
    tjd:

My Santa Fe would "lurch" strongly going from a stop to a start. My transmission would also hang when going from 40 - 55 mph.

The service dept. applied the "new computer update" for the transmission without any noticeable difference. I told them to do something or I was going to pursue lemon law.

They've had the car now for 3 days and I still don't have it back :( I am really upset with myself for not having gone with my instinct to buy a Honda CRV.

I'll keep you posted.
  • bucky39bucky39 Member Posts: 1
    Was thinking of purchasing a Santa Fe 2004 LX but after reading all the problems with the transmission, computer, battery, alternator, etc. I am reconsidering. Are these just a few bad vehicles or is this a major problem with the vehicle?

Rich B.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    There have been quite a few complaints about the sudden acceleration on the Santa Fe's with the 3.5/5 speed. I believe, from all I've read and experienced, that this is due to a combination of things.

1. Most people aren't used to an electronic throttle, which reacts differently than a cable linked setup.
    2.Some of these have required a software upgrade in order to accomodate these drivers.

Personally, I consider it driver error. I own a 2.7 liter LX, but thoroughly test drove a 3.5L and did not have any issues. I did notice that in, a parking lot for instance, the acceleration is very gradual, until you hit a sweet spot that opens the throttle a good bit. This accounts for the "lurch" issue, I believe.

All the other issues have been addressed and are not uncommon in any new vehicle. If you do a search against almost any other brand of car, you'll find similar issues. Remember, you'll hear more from people about the problems than you will hear from the owners who have NO issues. My wife has 21,000 miles on her Santy and we have had no issues after an inital defective vapor valve in the fuel filler pipe.