Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• mokeyjoemokeyjoe Member Posts: 4
    I have an '04 2.7 Santa Fe with 16000 miles on it. Yes, like others I have had a problem with mine as well. All of the sudden my blinkers stopped working (just over 14000 miles). It was blowing fuses. I thought to myself, oh no...here we go again. I figured it was going to be like the fiasco with my Dodge Avenger. Which by the way, was a horrible car. Anyway, after some tests by the dealership, they determined it was a faulty bulb in the headlamp assembly causing the problem.

All in all...minor inconvenience...great service department (comparable to where I take my Acura TSX)...still loving my Santa Fe.

I would recommend it (and have) to anyone in a heartbeat!

It tows the boat pretty well to.
  • joespectorjoespector Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Joe Spector and I bought a Santa Fe in March of 04 and I'm having the same thing with the lurching when I start up. It surges, lurches, 3 times then I'm off. It's a little annoying but I dont know if its a big deal or not. I see you had some problems and they tried to "update your computer". I'm going to the dealer soon but I wanted to know what they did for you? I would really, really appreciate any info you have on this since its so similar to my situation.
    Thanks,

Joe Spector
  • emmiepieemmiepie Member Posts: 1
    Yes!
    Sounds like the problems I've been having. Its been to the shop 5 times in the past week. The
    TPS sensor, the ECM AND the ECU have been replaced and it keeps surging while driving...only after I come to a complete stop and then try to drive off again, the engine will not go over 30-40 KMS/hour and it just revs high. The mechanics at the dealership are baffled.
  • conhagconhag Member Posts: 1
    on the passenger side i have a high pitched noise mostly on the freeway. it sounds like its in the top front door frame. maybe something with the aerodynamics. its still there even after i open the door. noise is not there all the time. 2004 santa fe 7500 miles.
  • sripsrip Member Posts: 1
    I own an '03 GLS 2.7 4WD. A few months ago I notice a strange noise. It's really hard to describe. Almost like a small buzz (or low-pitch horn). Happens anywhere between 20 & 45 miles. When I recently took it to my dealer for it's normal oil change / checkup; they checked things out and said it was traced back to the alternator. A new alternator was ordered and just installed. Drove it home and worked fine. But then today (just one day later) I still have the noise. Now it doesn't happen all the time --is very intermittent. Any suggestions on what it could be? I also have had the shifting problem and they have reset the computer even though they said nothing has shown on the system. It revs for a very long time before it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear.
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    I am considering buying a used Sante Fe for my 16 year old daughter. We don't have a specific one chosen yet, but it is a model she likes and my preliminary investigation makes it seem like a good vehicle for her. I am, of course, most worried about safety and reliability. Can anyone comment on problems they have had and whether this is a vehicle they would buy for their own teen daughter? Is there a particular year you would recommend over another. Based on price range, we are looking at the 2002's right now.

Thanks for you input!
  • collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    Our teenage son drives a Santa Fe 2.7 GLS. We like the fact he sits up higher than a car and gets good visibility. It also seems to be built like a tank yet is fun to drive. We share it so I drive it quite a bit but we did have him in mind when we bought it.

I think for the money it cannot be beat. The safety ratings are very good and it has been reliable so far.

It is not too big that it is hard to drive yet not too small that you get the feeling you would be squashed in an accident.

I have noticed an incredible number of SF's in our area in the last few months. Every time I go somewhere I pass one. Maybe people are realizing you do not have to spend a fortune to get a good mid size SUV.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    especially if she already is attracted to it. My daughter will be getting her learning permit soon and can't wait to drive our Santy. We've had absolutely no problems with this vehicle in 22,000 miles. Highly recommended, especially if it includes side impact airbags. Another plus are the OEM tires. If they're the Bridgestone M/S, some people have gotten almost 100,000 miles out of them.
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    We have a 2004 Santa Fe that my 18 year old drives. So far, 8,000 miles on it and no problems except for the door light switch that sticks. Next oil change we'll have it looked at. Your reasons for looking at the SF were exactly what we were looking for -- reliability and safety. I think that from 2003 on, they had side air bags which appealed to us. Our model is the GLS, front wheel drive with the 2.7 liter. It gets around 20+ mpg around the city. One word of caution -- I've seen used Hyundai's advertised with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. This warranty is NOT transferable. So if you're buying a used one, the only warranty that you will have is the 5 year/60,000 warranty.

Happy shopping.
  • frustrated01frustrated01 Member Posts: 2
    Have a Hyundai Santa Fe GLS V6 3.5,5a with a vibration in the steering wheel @60 mph and above. Dealer keeps balancing tires to no avail. Anyone have this problem/fix. Also the radio has to be m axed with the windows down and I say something is wrong. Dealer says I'm deaf. HELP
  • csykes1042csykes1042 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same exact problem. I took it to the dealership, they replaced the clock. No further problems. I too worried about a major electrical problem, but don't fret. It was under the warranty, too, so no cost to replace the clock.
  • heyrobbheyrobb Member Posts: 3
    It appears most performance problems are a result of 'bugs' in the new adaptive learning transmission & electronic throttle control technologies introduced in the '04 LX, Toyota and Honda/Acura are having similar problems with these new technologies in some of their SUVs, it may be quite a while before a solution is found since engineers from these automakers are indeed baffled. Bugs like this are not uncommon for any new technology introduction from any automaker, and unfortunately I went against my own rule of not purchasing a model with 1st-year technology (now I remember why I had that rule). An immediate solution may be to trade the LX for a GLS 2.7L to avoid both the electronic throttle control and the adaptive learning transmission which appear to account for most performance problems.
  • apollo48apollo48 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2002, 2.7L, AWD last year. It had a
    vibration from 60-70mph with a peak at ~65mph. The dealer
    rebalanced tires to no avail. After contacting other dealers
    about the problem they found a dealership that fixed the problem
    by rotating the drive shaft. Apparently it was a balance issue.
    I've driven ~4K since with no problems.
  • teelcee2teelcee2 Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same vibration which seems to be worst at 55mph and does not go away at higher speeds, but becomes an oscillating vibration. The vibration shakes the driver side mirror, the sun shade of the sun roof, and I can feel the vibration in the back of the seats. Likewise, the service department has rotated and exchanged tires from another 3.5 GLS to no avail. The hyundai service representative for the region I lived in has said that this vibration is characteristic of all 3.5 GLS's. I beg to differ as I test drove another 3.5 GLS and I did not feel a similar vibration. If anyone is aware of a fix for this problem, please reply. I am very frustrated that my 2004 Santa Fe has this vibration(now at 1,200 miles) and has had it ever since we drove the vehicle home from the dealership.
  • teelcee2teelcee2 Member Posts: 2
    Could you explain what was done to the drive shaft to fix your vibration problem? I have a brand new 2004 3.5 GLS awd which has a vibration that peaks at 55mph and can be felt in the steering wheel also. A reply would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • rebkatdixrebkatdix Member Posts: 3
    Hi Suvee-

I just bought the 2004 Santa Fe and am noticing the same sound when I start from a dead stop. It is a 2.7 GLS. with only 450 miles on it. Mine sounds more like the transmission dropping into gear, but it shakes the whole truck and sounds terrible. Did you ever figure out what was worng with yours? Did it stop? I am planning to try the dealer as well, but if you learned some thing it might save me some time and money

Thanks-Rebecca
  • rebkatdixrebkatdix Member Posts: 3
    Hi- I just bought a 2004 Santa Fe 2.7 GLS and I am having the same sound issue when I drive off from a dead stop. Did you find a resolution? Any ideas what was wrong? Is it still happening with your Santa Fe? I am planning to go to a dealer, but any info would be helpful.

Thanks-Rebecca
  • vinny1vinny1 Member Posts: 3
    It sounds like what happened to me. After a few feet it went away, only after you turn off the car for only a few minutes. It was the computer it needed a software upgrade and it hasn't happend again.
  • smmhcsmmhc Member Posts: 10
    After reading these posts, I'm going to forget getting a Santa Fe. Essentially, the same problems over and over with no fix. I thought Hyundai was focused on quality but bumping transmissions, stalling, repeated trips to dealerships...I need reliable transportation...guess it will be Honda CRV for me. Good luck to all of you.
  • rdupuisrdupuis Member Posts: 1
    I too had the same problem. I took my Santa Fe in yesterday, the dealership downloaded the software update. The whole process took about 30 min and I do not have the problem any longer. My only question is why is Hyundai not telling customers about this software upgrade??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If it's just a TSB issue rather than a recall, then the dealers generally won't do the procedure unless a customer complains.

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)

Steve, Host
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe GLS. I have a question about the defrost mode. When the AC button is off and I turn the control to defrost (the fan is on) does the AC come on automatically or do I have to push in the a/c button manually? I was under the impression that the AC is supposed to go on automatically, at least that my impression when reading the instruction manual that came with the car.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The AC automatically turns on when you switch to the front defroster. You do not have to push in the button.
  • jimmy68jimmy68 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 santa fe and today i parked the truck went into the store and when i came out i couldn't turn the key when i put it in the ignition.....the steering wheel was locked and i moved it a little like i always do and nothing happened.....i called roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck and they tried all their little tricks and still nothing.....now they said that they can only get the car up on the flat bed truck to tow it by dragging it since all four wheels are locked since i cant get it out of gear....is there any suggestions that might help please post soon thankx
  • rwsantaferwsantafe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GLS 3.5L Santa Fe that i purchased in May. I went to start it up today and it turned over, but started making a rattling noise and shut itself off in 20 seconds. I tried to restart it, and it started up fine without the rattling noise. Any ideas as to what may be wrong?
  • skagwaypilotskagwaypilot Member Posts: 18
    I enjoy driving my 2004 FWD LX but a few problems are causing me some concern. I'll log them here for member's review and comment - as (or if) the problems are corrected, I'll update my posting.

1) There is a noticeable and repeated 'thump' from the left rear wheel when I back up. It doesn't always happen, but it is frequent enough to be annoying.

2) The 'Check Engine' light has come on twice. A dealer looked at the computer logs and determined that the emissions controls were at fault - apparently, the system thinks there is a pressurization leak somewhere in the vicinity of the charcoal filter. He said that it definitely was not caused by a loose gas cap. He was not able to fix it immediately due to a shortage of technicians and I couldn't wait for a tech to become available.

3) The throttle seems to be sensitive and it is difficult to accelerate slowly with light pedal pressure - I noticed that there is a software upgrade to address this problem.

4) The CD player jammed with the insertion of the first CD - the CD is still stuck in the player.

There are also some cosmetic irregularities - paint flaws on the right door and front bumper and scratches on the interior panels. I find these things disappointing in light of the Hyundai focus on quality.
    The dealer assures me that they will handle everything - we'll see...
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Just wondering, why do you think the CRV is more "reliable"?
  • bumblesbumbles Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Santa Fe and have had the problem several times. The tow truck operator said it is a common problem with the Santa Fe. He had me give it a hard turn until I couldn't budge it. and turn the key at the same time. It has worked every time. It has something to do with the position of the wheels when putting the car in park. It is a pain when this happens. Dealer said he had never heard of this before, but the tow truck operator insists he has received more than 15 calls for the same problem.
    My first update..
    >>>There are also some cosmetic irregularities - paint flaws on the right door and front bumper and scratches on the interior panels.<<<

Let me elaborate on the 'cosmetic irregularities'.
    The paint on the bumper and lower grill showed clearly that at some time prior to our purchase, a very crude attempt was made to correct paint flaws and bubbles. It is apparent that someone had used a coarse grade of sandpaper to remove flaws, then sprayed lightly with a color coat.
    The dealer has agreed to remedy this and the car is presently in the body shop for a complete repaint of the front bumper. The dealer has provided a loaner at no cost to us.
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    I'd be willing to bet that the vehicle was damaged in transit and the dealership tried a "quick & dirty" repair. That's not uncommon.

It's good that when you brought it to their attention they agreed to send it out to a body shop to get it done right. It's bad that if you hadn't been so observant they would have gotten away with it.
    Thanks for the reply... I'm not impressed with this dealer.. but I'll give them a chance to make things right. So far, they've had the car for two weeks to repaint the bumper and fix some other things - a 'check engine' light, a 'thump' in the left rear while backing up, scratches on interior panels, CD player never worked, etc..
    Their dealer prep consisted of washing the car and putting Armorall on the tires - and that was done poorly. It even had a low tire that I had to call to their attention.
    To their credit, they provided a 2005 Sonata - it's a great car - good quality, good perfomance.
    We now have more miles on our loaner than we have on the car we purchased.
  • timftimf Member Posts: 3
    I have 5,000 miles on the car and the gas mileage is 16.3 to 16.8 that is 65miles per hr max and sometimes slower. I have talked to the dealership 3 times about this they are saying not to worry when the motor gets broke in after 10,000 miles it will improve. We are not hot rodders with the car. And it is mainly highway usage. any suggestions.
    You don't say anything regarding the type of driving you do. Is it primarily city, a mix of city/hwy and if so, what proportion? How many people are usually in the car?

My wife's 2.7 4WD LX gets at least 18 mpg and usually 21-22 mpg. Most of her mileage is accumulated during her daily commute which is 80% highway and 20% city. She only uses 87 octane and is a somewhat agressive driver. She definitely doesn't [non-permissible content removed]-foot her way around! Now, on a trip, loaded down with four additional people and luggage, mileage drops to 18-19 mpg. But, that's still much better than you're getting.

I'd tell the dealer that the car is more than broken in by now and that you want it checked out. Could be a malfuntioning Mass Air Sensor or you just need a software upload.
    skuuter thanks for the reply.I live in northern minnesota. and the highway drive to work is about 95% highway usage.5% in town. I would be happy with 21 or 22 mpg She is the only passenger in the car.I noticed you said the mass air sensor might be malfunctioning. Are you in the service side of repairing or is it something you had happen to yours? This is something I can talk to the dealer about I just would like to know if there has been a problem with the sensor please reply back
    Tim,

I'm a shade tree mechanic only. But I know that the MAF is sometimes the source of problems like this. It basically determines the fuel to air mixture based on air temp and volume. Is your air filter stock? The reason I ask, is because there are instances where people have replaced the OEM filter with a K&N or AirHog and used too much filter oil which contaminates the MAF sensor wires.

Under your driving circumstances, you have every right to expect 20-22 mpg. Refuse to settle for less than that.
  • gsandgsand Member Posts: 2
    Well the vibration in my SF started when I drove it home the day I bought it. Brought it back and they did something with the rotors and balanced the front tires. Brought it back the next week and they rebalanced again. This week they test drove it and said that the vibration in the steering wheel (which starts at 30 mph) is normal. They said "you're feeling the road". They lowered my tire pressure to 30 (was at 34). Driving to work the vibration is worse -I can feel the vibration in my legs and my pocketbook on the passenger seat vibrates. I'm at wits end. I don't know what I should do next. The car has just 500 miles on it and has been back 3 times. Does the Lemon Law apply?

HELP
  • gatechgatech Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had to have an engine replaced in a 2001 Santa FE? I haven't picked it up from the dealer yet so not entirely sure why it had to be replaced. Just wondering if anyone else had same problem?
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Have you ever had a problem with the steering wheel shimmy/vibration (also a vibration on the passenger seat)? I've had it back to the dealer 3 times and he's telling me that it's the way it drives and the shimmy is the road I'm feeling. I test drove another SF and that did not happen.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
    gsand
  • ugeneugene Member Posts: 1
    I've had a similar vibration problem with my Santa Fe that is apparently related to the brakes. It started at 30,000 miles with what seemed like the brake engaging itself on the front wheels causing a scraping noise. They couldn't find the problem so they replaced the brake pads, took the rotors etc. apart and re-assembled. 8000 miles later the whole car started shimmying every time I put on the brakes.

Took it back in, they said I must have been braking excessively (I wasn't) as the front rotors all warped And besides, if you are sitting on the brakes all the time the rear ones will be affected as well.

4000 miles later the same problem has reappeared. The whole car shimmies whenever you step on the brake, it's bad at low speeds but even worse at high speeds. Couldn't be using the brakes any less unless I stick my foot out the door to slow the car. Lots of brake dust on front rims, none on rear rims. The dealer is refusing to do anything about it because he says he can't find anything wrong.

The braking power of the vehicle has greatly diminished since the problem has begun again.

Any ideas anyone? The car is still under warranty so I don't see how the dealer can refuse to attempt to fix the problem.
  • pbmacpbmac Member Posts: 3
    Start the lemon law process now.. I purchased my SF in Oct of 2003 and the problems started right away with the vibration. Dealership did the same thing.. balance the tires. rotated the tires. turned the rotors all the way around they even did this thing called a radial force balancing. nothing worked. I have the same problems. my vibration/shake starts around 50 and goes now through 65. and i was also told that this is characteristic of the vehicle.. can you imagine.. I have started the Lemon law process against hyundai... I had my vehicle in the shop 8 times for the same problem.. and they do not know how to fix it.. I even had the regional service rep from hyundai drive the vehicle .. he felt the problem but says that that is normal.. I have driven 3 suv's previous to this one and I can tell you that none of them ever had this vibration.. Reading your complaint was like deja

I have the same exact problems. .. . Let me know if you want more info on the lemon law procedure.. .

bev
  • pbmacpbmac Member Posts: 3
    Does your car still have the vibration?. See my comments under #825.. I am also having this problem..

bev
    Updated news I an now getting 13 to 14 miles per gallon the dealer wants 3 gas tank receipts with mileage and then they want to drive it about 120 miles. To check the mileage out on there own. I think for a small 2.7 v-6 engine it should get at least 18 if not better it is about equal to my pickup 4x4 with a 350 v-8 engine it gets 13 to 14. per gallon.
  • audia6woesaudia6woes Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my audi. The last in a long line of fixes which included 3 wheel balancing, a new wheel and the final change is the tie-rod boot needed replacing.
  • mjvf57mjvf57 Member Posts: 1
    I want to log in with my recent purchase, a 2004 Santa Fe GLS 3.5L. We just bought it last night, and the first time today I drove it, the check engine light remained on. I happened to be on my way to the dealer to sign the sale papers; the service department said it was the gas cap (as other's have posted) and reset it. However, not 2 hours later, with no one having touched the gas cap, the light is once again staying on. By now the service department was closed until Monday. Not a good start with a new car.
  • fmre4fmre4 Member Posts: 9
    We've got the digital climate control system on our SF, that also has the "Automatic Feature".

My problem is that the defroster comes on immediately at startup, which obviously has the compressor running, which is a waste of gas and which puts unnecessary strain on the engine.

It's a simple matter of pressing the mode button to turn it off. Does anyone else have this problem? Or could it in fact be defaulted to do this?

When I brought this to the dealers attention, I requested to have them start one up in the lot to see for myself if it's a normal occurance. The dealer didn't think it was and went ahead and replaced the climate system head unit, but the problem still exists. (again, could this be normal?)

On my next visit, I'll be more assertive for sure, and check out a similar model!

As I mentioned above, our model has the Automatic Feature. We don't opt to use said feature, as when that's on, the defroster is also on the entire time.

Other than this issue, we absolutely love the car!
    Sounds like they just reset the warning relay. If no one touched the gas cap, then the problem still exists, i.e., loose cap or bad gasket. Another problem could be the check valve in the filler tube getting stuck.

Gas up and make sure whoever closes the cap gets it to click three or more times, after re-setting the light, of course.
  • tch5ktch5k Member Posts: 1
    Okay...came to this website by mechanic friend recommendation. I have 14k on my Santa Fe and I'm nervous! My vibration started on the drive home, with 150 miles on the car! Took it back at 5k, they "couldn't duplicate it". Drove it 8 hrs to FL and on the way back, going 75 on the Interstate, was scared many times that the brakes weren't going to stop me! Took it back in, they rotated and aligned it, said the brakes looked fine. Now I'm here and reading all the same problem!! My friend thinks it has to do with the ABS system...I think I'll make a copy of all these posts and take them with me! Any body had it repaired successfully?

I love the car so it makes me sad to have this feeling that something's just not right with it..
  • colleenbcolleenb Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I just got into an accident a week in a half ago. I have a 2004 Santa Fe GLS 2.7 v6. When I went to press down on my brake, the brake would not stop my car and my steering wheel locked up. I ended up rear-ended the person. Has anyone experienced that? I think my car stalled before I pushed on the brake, causing the brakes and steering wheel not to work.

Another problem.. almost everytime I accelerate my car stutters. Sort of jumps a couple times before taking off. This happens each time I'm at a stop sign/light or just starting up my car.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    I think you are correct in believing the engine stalled before you applied the brakes. That would explain the steering wheel seeming to lock up. You evidently lost power steering and brake boost.

Have you seen the dealer for this stuttering?
  • colleenbcolleenb Member Posts: 3
    Yep..they had to upgrade something.. As for the possible stalling.. the mechanic slammed on the brakes and the car stalled.